PDA

View Full Version : Plumlee is putting Army service on hold

FerryFor50
05-11-2016, 10:47 PM
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/730542573459120129

Chasing the basketball dream. Good for him.

moonpie23
05-12-2016, 08:39 AM
must have gotten some good feedback........go for it!!!

dukelifer
05-12-2016, 09:54 AM
must have gotten some good feedback....go for it!!!

7' 260 and a couple of brothers playing well in the league never hurts

Indoor66
05-12-2016, 10:05 AM
7' 260 and a couple of brothers playing well in the league never hurts

What is that old quote? You can't teach 7'! ;):D:cool:

BigZ
05-12-2016, 12:40 PM
big winner here is ISIS.

JasonEvans
05-12-2016, 03:45 PM
big winner here is ISIS.

[UNC-KY fans] Duke hates America!! [/UNC-KY fans]

DukieInBrasil
05-12-2016, 05:23 PM
When MP3 put up that stretch of games where he was averaging a 2x double, including a 17-16 game, i knew that he was gonna get some looks from the Show.
When he spiced up his dunk-a-thon repertoire with a few up-and-under moves and some other legitimate post moves, i thought, those were totally absent from his game even last year and if he can develop those even more, he has a legit shot to earn an NBA paycheck. I hope he proves me right!
As always for a guy with marginal NBA skill/talent level, a lot will depend on catching on withe right team. I'm not really sure which one that is, but i'm pretty sure there's a least a couple that need what he brings to the table.

kAzE
05-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Oof . . I really wish I hadn't read through the comments on Twitter reacting this post. Twitter constantly reminds me how many idiots are on the internet.

He's said from the beginning that this was the plan. Even before he popped up on the NBA radar his senior year. Anybody who is 7 feet tall and has this type of athleticism has a strong chance to play in the NBA. Go for it, MP3!

KenTankerous
05-12-2016, 06:57 PM
I would love to see NBA Plumlee cubed but how does one put an Army comittment on hold? Aren't they pretty rigid about contracts and stuff?

SupaDave
05-12-2016, 07:03 PM
I would love to see NBA Plumlee cubed but how does one put an Army comittment on hold? Aren't they pretty rigid about contracts and stuff?

Justin Robinson's dad can probably help with that.

YmoBeThere
05-12-2016, 09:11 PM

He was in the Navy, not the Army. He can get a waiver, his obligation will still be there afterwards.

SupaDave
05-13-2016, 03:44 AM
He was in the Navy, not the Army. He can get a waiver, his obligation will still be there afterwards.

Military service is military service.

Indoor66
05-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Military service is military service.

Hardly!

subzero02
05-13-2016, 06:16 PM
I hope I am wrong but I just don't see Plumlee making a 15 man roster in the NBA right now. If he spends a few years developing in the d-league he might eventually make it to the show.

SupaDave
05-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Hardly!

The Coast guard isn't the Marines but they work for the same government.

YmoBeThere
05-14-2016, 03:27 PM
The Coast guard isn't the Marines but they work for the same government.

The IRS works for the same government, very different from military service. And the various services all have their own requirements and cultures. As a Duke alum who went through Army ROTC during my undergrad days and served, trust me on this one. The other alums who went through Navy and Air Force ROTC programs at Duke or who went through OCS or enlisted in the various branches afterwards can all attest to this. Insisting otherwise would put one in an awkward position.

More on point, there are various programs and ways in which he could defer his commitment. Many of which have likely changed since I got out. But while not routine, not entirely unusual. It is often done for grad school. IIRC, one of my coworkers did something similar with the NFL and the Marine Corps after his 4 years at Wake Forest.

sagegrouse
05-14-2016, 04:47 PM

Well, first of all, he would go in as a reservist with a minimal active duty commitment. The "commitment" is still there but is being delayed.

Just this week, the SecNav (guess!) approved delayed active duty for two Navy football players drafted by the NFL:

That ... became clear on Friday when Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus told The Dan Patrick Show that Reynolds has the go-ahead to realize his dream of playing in the NFL while also honoring his military commitment. He also confirmed that New England Patriots long snapper Joe Cardona would be able to play in 2016, which was initially in doubt.

Edouble
05-14-2016, 04:50 PM

I, too, am confused by this.

David Robinson was in the Navy, not the Army, but perhaps more importantly, he went directly into service following his graduation. He held off on the NBA to serve, which seems to be the opposite of what Marshall is looking to do.

sagegrouse
05-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Well, first of all, he would go in as a reservist with a minimal active duty commitment. The "commitment" is still there but is being delayed.

Just this week, the SecNav (guess!) approved delayed active duty for two Navy football players drafted by the NFL:

Moreover, Reynolds and Cardona have five-year commitments as USNA graduates. I expect that Plumlee, as a reserve officer, has a very short active-duty commitment but, of courxse, he could be called up for deployments.

KenTankerous
05-14-2016, 06:45 PM
The "commitment" is still there but is being delayed.

None of this really helps clear up my confusion. Can errybody in ROTC defer their service if they get a better offer in the private sector? Or is this just a beny for the super rich and talented?

And I know it's wrong but I have always liked double "t" following a double "m". I'll take the points off spelling for the aesthetics - it justs looks righter to me.

-jk
05-14-2016, 06:46 PM
Perhaps it's a marketing ploy by the armed services...

-jk

rocketeli
05-14-2016, 07:40 PM
None of this really helps clear up my confusion. Can errybody in ROTC defer their service if they get a better offer in the private sector? Or is this just a beny for the super rich and talented?

And I know it's wrong but I have always liked double "t" following a double "m". I'll take the points off spelling for the aesthetics - it justs looks righter to me.

I think the answer to these questions is buried in some other thread, so I'll bring my 27 and half years in the Army knowledge here and try to answer it for you. There are different obligations incurred by ROTC (the same for all branches) depending on the kind of interaction/money involved. People who take money "a ROTC scholarship" incur an obligation to serve on active duty, either 3 or 4 years depending on whether or not they took a 2 (3 years) or 3 or 4 year (4 years.) Since all initial officer obligations are for 8 years total, the rest of the time can be spent in the reserves-either going to "meetings" to earn retirement years/points, or just having your name on a list so the army can call you back during that time if they need you.
If a person does the ROTC program to completion (that is takes a commission as an officer) but takes no money from the military to do so, they also incur the 8 year obligation, but they are not guaranteed any active duty job-they can apply if they like, but they may not get one. They instead can end up doing their entire obligation in the reserves, including the "name on a list" type of reserves. As Marshall Plumlee falls into this category, he does not have an automatic active duty obligation, and in fact might find it hard to get any active duty job (he may have learned this and so decided to go pro as a fallback) especially as he is too tall to realistically do many military jobs.
There is BTW a third category--people who just take ROTC classes "for fun" or people who were hoping to get a commission, but because they were non-scholarship could not get a slot at the training camps required--these people of course, incur no obligation.

TL:DR Marshall Plumlee didn't take a ROTC scholarship so he has no automatic active duty obligation.

SupaDave
05-14-2016, 08:12 PM
The IRS works for the same government, very different from military service. And the various services all have their own requirements and cultures. As a Duke alum who went through Army ROTC during my undergrad days and served, trust me on this one. The other alums who went through Navy and Air Force ROTC programs at Duke or who went through OCS or enlisted in the various branches afterwards can all attest to this. Insisting otherwise would put one in an awkward position.

More on point, there are various programs and ways in which he could defer his commitment. Many of which have likely changed since I got out. But while not routine, not entirely unusual. It is often done for grad school. IIRC, one of my coworkers did something similar with the NFL and the Marine Corps after his 4 years at Wake Forest.

What's any of that have to do with delaying commitment? The Navy made many accommodations for Robinson due to his height (2 inches taller than max height) - including cutting his tour from 5 years to two. The Department of Defense sets these policies - not the branches. The branches just carry them out (along with the ROTCs). Basically, Marshall just fills out a waiver.

Oh yeah - the Navy did market the heck out of Robinson. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing with Marshall with a waiver (who is 4 inches taller than the max height).

(btw, researching David Robinson helped me find all of this out - go figure)

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/132222p.pdf

Officers appointed from cadet or midshipman status will not be voluntarily released from active duty principally to pursue a professional sports activity with the potential of public affairs or recruiting benefit to the DoD during the initial 2 years of active commissioned service. A waiver to release a cadet or midshipman prior to the completion of 2 years of active service must be approved by the ASD(M&RA). Exceptional personnel with unique talents and abilities may be authorized excess leave or be released from active duty and transferred to the Selective Reserve after completing 2 years of active commissioned service when there is a strong expectation their professional sports activity will provide the DoD with significant favorable media exposure likely to enhance national recruiting or public affairs.

sagegrouse
05-14-2016, 08:40 PM
What's any of that have to do with delaying commitment? The Navy made many accommodations for Robinson due to his height (2 inches taller than max height) - including cutting his tour from 5 years to two. The Department of Defense sets these policies - not the branches. The branches just carry them out (along with the ROTCs). Basically, Marshall just fills out a waiver.

Oh yeah - the Navy did market the heck out of Robinson. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing with Marshall with a waiver (who is 4 inches taller than the max height).

(btw, researching David Robinson helped me find all of this out - go figure)

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/132222p.pdf

Officers appointed from cadet or midshipman status will not be voluntarily released from active duty principally to pursue a professional sports activity with the potential of public affairs or recruiting benefit to the DoD during the initial 2 years of active commissioned service. A waiver to release a cadet or midshipman prior to the completion of 2 years of active service must be approved by the ASD(M&RA). Exceptional personnel with unique talents and abilities may be authorized excess leave or be released from active duty and transferred to the Selective Reserve after completing 2 years of active commissioned service when there is a strong expectation their professional sports activity will provide the DoD with significant favorable media exposure likely to enhance national recruiting or public affairs.

SupaDave, while DoD (specifically the Office of the Secy of Defense) sets or attempts to set policies, the military departments (Army, Navy and Air Force) have the statutory authority on matters involving individual servicemen and servicewomen. While the service chiefs of staff tend to handle all such matters involving uniformed personnel, the waiver of an academy service obligation, which is policy and political with a small "p," would get decided by the service secretary.

KenTankerous
05-14-2016, 09:15 PM
I think the answer to these questions is buried in some other thread, so I'll bring my 27 and half years in the Army knowledge here and try to answer it for you. There are different obligations incurred by ROTC (the same for all branches) depending on the kind of interaction/money involved. People who take money "a ROTC scholarship" incur an obligation to serve on active duty, either 3 or 4 years depending on whether or not they took a 2 (3 years) or 3 or 4 year (4 years.) Since all initial officer obligations are for 8 years total, the rest of the time can be spent in the reserves-either going to "meetings" to earn retirement years/points, or just having your name on a list so the army can call you back during that time if they need you.
If a person does the ROTC program to completion (that is takes a commission as an officer) but takes no money from the military to do so, they also incur the 8 year obligation, but they are not guaranteed any active duty job-they can apply if they like, but they may not get one. They instead can end up doing their entire obligation in the reserves, including the "name on a list" type of reserves. As Marshall Plumlee falls into this category, he does not have an automatic active duty obligation, and in fact might find it hard to get any active duty job (he may have learned this and so decided to go pro as a fallback) especially as he is too tall to realistically do many military jobs.
There is BTW a third category--people who just take ROTC classes "for fun" or people who were hoping to get a commission, but because they were non-scholarship could not get a slot at the training camps required--these people of course, incur no obligation.

TL:DR Marshall Plumlee didn't take a ROTC scholarship so he has no automatic active duty obligation.

Thanks for that! I appreciate the work to explain the mechanics of how that works and now I know! Much love rocketell, much love!

YmoBeThere
05-15-2016, 01:06 AM
AR 350-100 Active Duty Service Obligations Table 3-1

-jk
05-15-2016, 07:31 AM
K might know a guy (or two)...

-jk