PDA

View Full Version : Five more years for Coach K?

Olympic Fan
05-09-2016, 01:20 PM
According to a story in today's Durham Herald-Sun, Duke AD Kevin White said he expects Coach K to coach "a minimum" of five more years:

The link below is just to the headline and the first graph of the story (the rest is behind a firewall):

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke-s-white-coach-k-will-coach-a-minimum-of/article_18c5ab96-1600-11e6-9a6b-2f4f18eba2ea.html

K would be 74 years old at the end of the 2021 season ... that's one year younger than Larry Brown was this season at SMU.

Obviously, health issues could interfere with that plan, but still ... five more years? I'll take it!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Love it. I had a sneaking suspicion that last year he might "go out on top." Would be pleased to log a few more banners and rings.

mo.st.dukie
05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
K doesn't really strike me as the kind of person who would look forward to or even enjoy retirement. I think he'll coach as long as his health permits.

luburch
05-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Didn't he say during a Team USA presser (maybe last summer?) he expects to coach until at least 2020? This would seem to confirm that notion.

jimsumner
05-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Love it. I had a sneaking suspicion that last year he might "go out on top." Would be pleased to log a few more banners and rings.

Nothing says he can't go out on top in 2022.

wilson
05-09-2016, 01:35 PM
K doesn't really strike me as the kind of person who would look forward to or even enjoy retirement. I think he'll coach as long as his health permits.I think Mickie will enjoy his retirement even less.

madscavenger
05-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Five more years would mean that he couldn't catch up with Wooden. Gotta make it six.

Billy Dat
05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
I wonder is this is in response to Cal trying to throw shade on K and his recent surgeries as this article outlines:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2016/05/03/whats-up-john-caliparis-sweaty-workout-videos/83871066/

White's statement might be for quick blogging about K's robust health - to counter the "old and breaking down" theme.

Can Cal v K propaganda get any uglier than what Trump v Clinton promises to be? Oh how we are in their heads.

Atlanta Duke
05-09-2016, 02:40 PM
I wonder is this is in response to Cal trying to throw shade on K and his recent surgeries as this article outlines:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2016/05/03/whats-up-john-caliparis-sweaty-workout-videos/83871066/

White's statement might be for quick blogging about K's robust health - to counter the "old and breaking down" theme.

Can Cal v K propaganda get any uglier than what Trump v Clinton promises to be? Oh how we are in their heads.

Thanks for the link - money quote from the article on what I suppose is the standard SEC sports recruiting spin used by everyone but Vandy

Five-star center Wendell Carter raved about the Devils’ academic reputation but said the Cats have “a great basketball school, but they’re not the worst academic school ever.”

Olympic Fan
05-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Five more years would mean that he couldn't catch up with Wooden. Gotta make it six.

I think your math is off -- K trails Wooden by five titles (10-5). Five years could be enough to catch Wooden. Now if you mean, PASS Wooden ...

But I subscribe to a different math. I think K catches Wooden this summer. In my mind Olympic Gold=World Championship=NCAA title.

Wooden has 10 NCAA titles

K has five NCAA titles, two Olympic golds, two world championships -- nine major titles. The gold in this summer's games will be No. 10.

And next year's NCAA title will be No. 11.

That would tie him with Phil Jackson for the most major titles for any men's basketball coach. He'd then have at least four more years to add No. 12.

Karl Beem
05-09-2016, 02:45 PM

5 + 5 = 10

In my fantasy, he gets to 9 and then retires.

hallcity
05-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Just to bring us back to reality, health problems could quickly change Coach K's plans. The odds of developing such health problems go up quite a bit as a man gets into his 70s.

Billy Dat
05-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Just to bring us back to reality, health problems could quickly change Coach K's plans. The odds of developing such health problems go up quite a bit as a man gets into his 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGO57y4td-c

TruBlu
05-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks for reminding me of that.

Jarhead
05-09-2016, 04:00 PM

I thought that the seventies are at least the new sixties, maybe the fifties.

budwom
05-09-2016, 04:17 PM
nice to know he wants to stick around for at least five years, but I think the odds of that happening are pretty low.
If he keeps recruiting like he has been, though, he'll have plenty of incentive to stick around for a while...

SupaDave
05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
K is robust in health. He'll be around for a while. Remember that he was talking about learning from Paterno in 2011. I think he knows that if you stay at it then you don't lose it. Plus he won't have any offensive lineman running into him. Btw, the number of college coaches pushing past retirement is a growing number.

gep
05-09-2016, 06:31 PM
nice to know he wants to stick around for at least five years, but I think the odds of that happening are pretty low.
If he keeps recruiting like he has been, though, he'll have plenty of incentive to stick around for a while...

I was curious about recruiting... I assume he tells the non-OAD recruits something like he'll coach them for 4 years. Does that mean he stops recruiting 4 years before "the time"? I sometimes think about this whenever Coach K retirement discussions come up. Seems like, at some point, he's gotta say something that he may not be around for those 4 years :confused:

jimsumner
05-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the link - money quote from the article on what I suppose is the standard SEC sports recruiting spin used by everyone but Vandy

Five-star center Wendell Carter raved about the Devils’ academic reputation but said the Cats have “a great basketball school, but they’re not the worst academic school ever.”

"Not the worst academic school."

Best bumper sticker ever?

gurufrisbee
05-09-2016, 06:48 PM
It's just my opinion but if Coach K came in my living room and said "I want you to come play for me - I don't know if my health will let me coach one year or five, but I want to be able to look back and list you as someone who played for me" - I'd sign up that second.

wavedukefan70s
05-09-2016, 07:05 PM
Dont sell the older guys short.i have a uncle that can still lift a 4cylynder engine out of a car he is 73.yes im serious.k coaching till 78 would not surprise me at all.

NM Duke Fan
05-09-2016, 08:34 PM
He looks a lot younger than his age, which often tells one quite a bit about the condition of the internal parts as well. My father, another tough Eastern European, was climbing 12,000 ft. mountains with me in his early seventies, and rode his bicycle and swam on a daily basis without fail. Coach K is a very self-disciplined man who has a great chance of being in superior health for the home stretch ...

Indoor66
05-09-2016, 08:40 PM
He's not Eastern European, he's Polish! :)

NM Duke Fan
05-10-2016, 08:21 AM
He's not Eastern European, he's Polish! :)

Yes, as was my father! There are quite a few tough Poles, they had to be to survive that neighborhood and history. But I was also thinking of the toughness associated with some of the other sports legends from that immediate neighborhood as well: Butkus, Bednarik, Csonka, etc.

TKG
05-10-2016, 11:48 AM
It's just my opinion but if Coach K came in my living room and said "I want you to come play for me - I don't know if my health will let me coach one year or five, but I want to be able to look back and list you as someone who played for me" - I'd sign up that second.

Wow! Even if you knew that you could get a lifetime supply of fishing poles and worms from Cal?

budwom
05-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I was curious about recruiting... I assume he tells the non-OAD recruits something like he'll coach them for 4 years. Does that mean he stops recruiting 4 years before "the time"? I sometimes think about this whenever Coach K retirement discussions come up. Seems like, at some point, he's gotta say something that he may not be around for those 4 years :confused:

The way it's been the last few years, K hasn't recruited very many four year guys, at least among the guys who have been getting playing time.
For example, next year's class has almost certain one year guys in Tatum and Giles, a one or two year guy in Jackson (probably), DeLaurier and White
are multi year guys, and Bolden probably a 1-2 year guy...so for most recruits, his outlook need only be a couple of years.
Plus if he really needs to retire in a few years for any reason, who could possibly begrudge him that?

53n206
05-10-2016, 02:41 PM
I thought that the seventies are at least the new sixties, maybe the fifties.

Lord, I hope so. What about my impending 80s?

madscavenger
05-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Lord, I hope so. What about my impending 80s?

Impends, depends......................you get old enough, what's the difference?

gep
05-11-2016, 04:11 AM
The N&O article linked on the DBR front page says that Coach K has 5 years left on his contract...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article76705017.html

I thought back when the Lakers came calling (or earlier?) Coach K was given a "lifetime" contract... that is, his contract is good until *he* says "I'm done". Am I mis-remembering?

sagegrouse
05-11-2016, 07:04 AM
The N&O article linked on the DBR front page says that Coach K has 5 years left on his contract...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article76705017.html

I thought back when the Lakers came calling (or earlier?) Coach K was given a "lifetime" contract... that is, his contract is good until *he* says "I'm done". Am I mis-remembering?

IIRC (and there is always a first time), the "lifetime" portion of his contract was in a position at Duke outside of athletics, perhaps as an assistant to the president.

WAit. Here's a clip from November, 2001:

DURHAM, N.C. -- Mike Krzyzewski now has a whole lot of job security to go with his three national titles at Duke.

Coach K agreed to a contract on Wednesday that will keep him with the Blue Devils through at least 2011, extending an extraordinary run that already has produced three NCAA championships, six ACC titles and 533 victories.

It covers the rest of his coaching career and beyond, taking the 54-year-old coach through the university retirement age of 65. Duke officials said the contract is open-ended and could roll over for longer.

It also gives him the title of special assistant to the president, a position Krzyzewski said he intends to hold after he retires as basketball coach.

"There's no definitive time," Krzyzewski said at a news conference where the contract was announced. "I don't feel like 54. I feel I can do this for a while."

flyingdutchdevil
05-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Coach K's passion for the game > Coach K's health

What I mean by that is that Coach K will retire when his passion isn't the same anymore, not when his health doesn't allow him to. Yes, Coach K has had many surgeries. Yes, Coach K was a former athlete and his body is more prone to breaking down. But I'm sure his coaching job has completely evolved; he isn't showing kids how to move on the court anymore (come on down, Mr. Capel!) and he probably sits down a lot more when he watches film/lectures the team/yells profanities at his players during half-time. And, while travelling is physically exhausting, it doesn't breakdown the body. You just need sleep, which Coach K can now get during the summers (post-2016, of course)!

I also think that Coach K will retire when he feels that [xxx] is ready to step in and take over. [xxx] is probably Capel, but it could be any number of coaches. Coach K is too organized and smart to not step down at the perfect time. A good leader always leaves his organization with the infrastructure to succeed from Day 1.

throatybeard
05-11-2016, 09:34 AM

Good for Wendell Carter. When you enter the position of privilege that a revenue scholarship athlete does* you can get as much or as little back from the university. He can get as much or nearly as much from UK as he can from Duke, Whether Calipari is using carrots or sticks to make his team an exception to or a part of the general learning environment there does not reflect on the faculty and support staff, who are the lifeblood of the actions that make the University of Kentucky a university every day.

The University of Kentucky is an astoundingly good school because there are 320M people in this country, and American basically invented doing higher education this particular way, and we've got a few hundred really good such schools, not fifteen as people associated with those fifteen would have you believe. And 17 year olds aren't really positioned to get all that much more out of Duke than they are Kentucky if basketball is doing the heavy lifting for them in the networking department.

* - such a weird position they are in with respect to privilege. Minor American celebrities immediately, but at the bottom of a multi-million dollar cash printing machine. Super privileged among students, but foot soliders in their own craft.

Olympic Fan
05-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Update: ESPN has a video segment with Andy Katz that's titled "Coach K pondering retirement?"

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15516480

Katz's story is actually about the Kevin White comments about how K will be around at least five more years ...

But, frankly, I thought the headline was misleading ... and it pissed me off.

94duke
05-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Update: ESPN has a video segment with Andy Katz that's titled "Coach K pondering retirement?"

Katz's story is actually about the Kevin White comments about how K will be around at least five more years ...

Nowadays, if a headline asks a question like that, the answer is almost always, no. But it gets you to click!

devildeac
05-12-2016, 01:37 PM

espn misleading? Never! :rolleyes:

Surprised they don't have a Grayson Allen-Still Kicking feature this spring :mad:.

madscavenger
05-12-2016, 02:36 PM

It pissed me off, as well. Whether they take in the details or not, the headline is what lingers in memory. With regard to recruiting, this is significant.

Ole Roy and Cal are probably spreading the word faster than a double dose of Ex-lax.

JStuart
04-01-2022, 01:07 PM
It dawned on me today -and not because it is April Fool's Day- that we could use an Al Featherston (the late, great Olympic Fan) Duke-carolina historical summary, but I've not been able to find one so far on the King forum.
This should suffice for today, but Mods, or Jim Sumner, can you bring back one of Al's masterworks for the run up to the 'Tobacco-daemmerung' tomorrow?
My thanks,
JStuart

throatybeard
04-01-2022, 01:08 PM

From your lips to God's ears.

JStuart
04-01-2022, 01:12 PM

Sharp -and quick- eyes, Throaty!
You don't need an ophthalmologist.

Rich
04-01-2022, 01:13 PM

I guess it depends on how you define "top," but I'd say he already has.

JasonEvans
04-01-2022, 01:21 PM

Wow, Jim, this post from 2016 is now a top candidate for the DBR Hall of Fame!!

HereBeforeCoachK
04-01-2022, 01:33 PM

"....thus sayeth......."

DU82
04-01-2022, 03:44 PM

So it is written, so it SHALL be done!

MarkD83
04-01-2022, 06:49 PM
I read the title of the thread and thought that this is too obvious for the April fool's joke on DBR.

JStuart
04-01-2022, 07:57 PM
I read the title of the thread and thought that this is too obvious for the April fool's joke on DBR.

Not my intent at all, though I see exactly what you mean.
I was wistfully hoping that Jim Sumner would channel his inner Al Featherston and produce a classic Armageddon/Goetterdaemmerung unc-Duke 21st Century summation article that would give us all sweet dreams tonight, and reduce our need for antacids tomorrow!
Totally missed the Sumner quotation-of-the-century that Throatybeard found (within seconds of my dredging the thread up!)
Go Devils, continue to make us proud.
JStuart, stressing over Duke -unc games since the late '50's!