PDA

View Full Version : WBB Investigation Over- Duke To Keep McCallie

Pages : [1] 2

Newton_14
05-08-2016, 09:54 PM
Keep it civil please.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-completes-investigation-into-women-s-basketball-program/15691741/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Well, that is certainly interesting.

diablesseblu
05-08-2016, 10:03 PM
I'll be civil. Am done.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Keep it civil please.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-completes-investigation-into-women-s-basketball-program/15691741/

I trust Kevin White.

diablesseblu
05-08-2016, 10:10 PM
I trust Kevin White.

OPK (and love your "moniker"...have two uncles who were your brothers)

I trust you and enjoy your posts. However, must respectfully disagree with this decision. Could say a lot but the mods would not allow it.

In the interest of my sanity, will now take a break from the internet and especially anything related to Duke WBB.

budwom
05-08-2016, 10:13 PM
I trust Kevin White.

I like Kevin White a whole lot. But in this particular instance, I think he got it wrong, and he's been wrong about it
for a long time. I suspect/fear this leaves WBB in a crippled state for some time.

CameronBornAndBred
05-08-2016, 10:18 PM
Duke might keep her, but the fans won't. And the transfers and recruits, of course, have made their voice heard. (Or the lack of recruits) I'm not expecting a fun season. (I hope for one though.)

burnspbesq
05-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Welp, apparently there was no there there. Or not enough to justify a firing that would likely have led to litigation. So be it. Time to move forward.

chrishoke
05-08-2016, 10:25 PM
This is a very sad day for Duke sports.

diablesseblu
05-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Welp, apparently there was no there there. Or not enough to justify a firing that would likely have led to litigation. So be it. Time to move forward.

Oh, there was "there there" (from Laura Keeley), but not enough to pay $3 million for a resolution. If I ever need a bulldog attorney, would love whoever crafted JPM's contract.

ND had the donors to pay out the ill conceived Charlie Weis contract extension. Duke doesn't.....at least for this position.

Mike Corey
05-08-2016, 10:31 PM
I am hopeful Coach P will have learned much through this process and will improve dramatically as a leader and coach accordingly.

diablesseblu
05-08-2016, 10:38 PM
I am hopeful Coach P will have learned much through this process and will improve dramatically as a leader and coach accordingly.

Mike...always appreciate your insight and love for all things Duke. Wish I could share your optimism. I look at Clarice Jackson and what has happened at CofC as a cautionary tale re: JPM's coaching philosophy.

As a trained professional in psychology (who worked in universities), IMHO,just don't believe JPM can change her ways at this juncture.

hallcity
05-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Nope, sorry, there's no moving forward. At best, things just keep moving backwards until McCallie's contract is up. McCallie's ability to recruit is over. At worst, former players and former assistant coaches share their stories with the media making for a very public, very unpleasant airing of this controversy.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2016, 10:47 PM
OPK (and love your "moniker"...have two uncles who were your brothers)

I trust you and enjoy your posts. However, must respectfully disagree with this decision. Could say a lot but the mods would not allow it.

In the interest of my sanity, will now take a break from the internet and especially anything related to Duke WBB.

I like Kevin White a whole lot. But in this particular instance, I think he got it wrong, and he's been wrong about it
for a long time. I suspect/fear this leaves WBB in a crippled state for some time.

Guess I am in the minority. Of course, Kevin's thought might also be that it is too expensive to make a move now, and/or the person he wants is not available at the moment.

Either way, it's sink or swim time. I would rather have an AD that sticks by his folks a bit too long rather than one who cuts and runs too early. Kevin has thrown Coach P a life line, she either makes the best of it or she doesn't. All on her.

Kedsy
05-08-2016, 11:04 PM
I'm not expecting a fun season. (I hope for one though.)

I am very annoyed that P drove Azura away. I don't think there's any coming back from that.

But even without Azura, unless another shoe drops, Duke will be pretty loaded in 2016-17. I'm not saying the long-term future is bright, because I don't think it is, but personally I am expecting a pretty fun season in 2016-17.

Mike Corey
05-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Whatever the reasons for the conclusion here, this investigation having happened--and it being public information--will make it more difficult for DWB to succeed under Coach P. We have a ton of talent for '16-'17, but the person responsible for putting it all together is, if nothing else, going through some unique challenges. With the challenges Coach P was having prior to this investigation, this does not seem like a situation that puts the student-athletes in the best position to succeed in the short-term. I hope to be wrong, and reiterate: I hope Coach P has learned much over the past four weeks, and incorporates many changes going forward.

diablesseblu
05-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Whatever the reasons for the conclusion here, this investigation having happened--and it being public information--will make it more difficult for DWB to succeed under Coach P. We have a ton of talent for '16-'17, but the person responsible for putting it all together is, if nothing else, going through some unique challenges. With the challenges Coach P was having prior to this investigation, this does not seem like a situation that puts the student-athletes in the best position to succeed in the short-term. I hope to be wrong, and reiterate: I hope Coach P has learned much over the past four weeks, and incorporates many changes going forward.

True that the investigation happened. However, with Duke's being a private institution and the investigation's having been done by HR, that means virtually none of it is public.

It will be fascinating to see if the interest stops here. From the Laura Keeley artcile, it seems as if those who may have been contacted by Duke, were hesitant to speak up. Now that the evaluation is over, will they keep quiet?

bluedevilsince72
05-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Be curious to see if two things happen in the next week:
1. Do any players transfer?
2. Do former players make their complaints public?

I don't know how Coach P and DWB recover from this. Whoever said we will have talent next year?!?! What? Without Azura we lost to Wake! and other terrible schools I cant remember off the top of my head. Ugg. I'm depressed tonight.

Jim3k
05-09-2016, 04:22 AM

I don't know how Coach P and DWB recover from this. Whoever said we will have talent next year?!?! What? Without Azura we lost to Wake! and other terrible schools I cant remember off the top of my head. Ugg. I'm depressed tonight.

It would not surprise me to see another sneaker fall.

jtelander
05-09-2016, 05:25 AM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/05/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-remains-following-program-investigation

"The Durham Herald-Sun's Steve Wiseman reported later Sunday night that four-time All-American center Elizabeth Williams—who was on the team from 2011-2015—said she was one of the players interviewed as part of the investigation. A WNBA player, Williams reportedly wrote a letter to administrators last year expressing concerns about the program.

Wiseman reported that Williams' letter was one of many and that concerns about the program also were raised during exit interviews with administrators."

Is it significant that Duke released this announcement on Sunday night?

Karl Beem
05-09-2016, 06:23 AM

Duke gains Lexie, an All-American.

jtelander
05-09-2016, 08:43 AM
True that the investigation happened. However, with Duke's being a private institution and the investigation's having been done by HR, that means virtually none of it is public.

My understanding is that it was done by HR, but part of Kevin White's statement seemed to say otherwise.

"We have received and thoroughly reviewed the evaluation report of the Duke women's basketball program. The purpose of this evaluation, which Duke Athletics initiated with an outside party, was for Duke women's basketball to get even better.

Is Duke HR considered to be an outside party?

CameronBornAndBred
05-09-2016, 08:48 AM
I am very annoyed that P drove Azura away. I don't think there's any coming back from that.

But even without Azura, unless another shoe drops, Duke will be pretty loaded in 2016-17. I'm not saying the long-term future is bright, because I don't think it is, but personally I am expecting a pretty fun season in 2016-17.
Fun and successful weren't mutually inclusive in my statement.

aswewere
05-09-2016, 09:02 AM
It comes down to money and the lack of due / diligence in her extension.

HK Dukie
05-09-2016, 09:26 AM
I am not proud of Duke Athletics today.

The statement emphasized the McCallie's record at Duke instead of focusing on the purpose of the investigation. With respect she could have won 10 NCAA championships and it shouldn't matter. The only consideration is whether the women's head basketball coach is upholding the standards expected of a leader of young people. If the answer is no, that coach needs to go. Period. The very fact the statement is emphasizing accomplishments instead of directly addressing the issue (no matter what the results, positive or inconclusive or negative) is unfortunately an indictment of the process itself. Spin doesn't make this situation go away. Only directly addressing it does. If there is no evidence to back up the allegations then that is fine, just mention it. If KW just wants to wait till the end of the contract before making a decision that is fine too...but then don't go into all the detail on the irrelevant athletic records.

Henderson
05-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Who has more credibility in protecting and promoting the interests of Duke University Athletics, Kevin White or a bunch of DBR internet fan boys sniping from the bleachers?

For those of you who know better than the Athletic Director how to manage Duke sports, take comfort in knowing that Coach P has been publicly (though unofficially) put on notice.

Next play.

GGLC
05-09-2016, 10:48 AM
I am not proud of Duke Athletics today.

The statement emphasized the McCallie's record at Duke instead of focusing on the purpose of the investigation. With respect she could have won 10 NCAA championships and it shouldn't matter. The only consideration is whether the women's head basketball coach is upholding the standards expected of a leader of young people. If the answer is no, that coach needs to go. Period. The very fact the statement is emphasizing accomplishments instead of directly addressing the issue (no matter what the results, positive or inconclusive or negative) is unfortunately an indictment of the process itself. Spin doesn't make this situation go away. Only directly addressing it does. If there is no evidence to back up the allegations then that is fine, just mention it. If KW just wants to wait till the end of the contract before making a decision that is fine too...but then don't go into all the detail on the irrelevant athletic records.

This expresses my feelings quite eloquently.

aswewere
05-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Who has more credibility in protecting and promoting the interests of Duke University Athletics, Kevin White or a bunch of DBR internet fan boys sniping from the bleachers?

For those of you who know better than the Athletic Director how to manage Duke sports, take comfort in knowing that Coach P has been publicly (though unofficially) put on notice.

Next play.

It looks like the fans of our once beloved elite program are also put on notice of a new direction.

miramar
05-09-2016, 11:39 AM
It looks like the fans of our once beloved elite program are also put on notice of a new direction.

As it turns out, you either have to be a D1 head coach or AD to render an opinion on Duke WBB.

I have been watching college basketball since Lew Alcindor's days at UCLA, so I thought I knew a little something about it, but obviously I was sadly mistaken.

So I guess it's Obama out time for me.

cspan37421
05-09-2016, 12:33 PM

Might this be a false dichotomy?

Other sources of credibility with vested interest in DU athletics could include Elizabeth Williams and numerous other DWBB players and assistant coaches (and staff).

Kfanarmy
05-09-2016, 01:04 PM

Next play.

We can probably can do better than insulting those with whom we disagree.

CamrnCrz1974
05-09-2016, 01:48 PM

I normally disagree with most everything Kedsy has posted about WCBB. However, I completely agree with Kedsy's post above - I am annoyed P drove Stevens away, but I believe Duke will be pretty loaded next year.

PG: Kyra Lambert
SG: Lexie Brown
SG/SF: Rebecca Greenwell
PF:
C: Oderah Chidom

If Kendall Cooper returns as expected, she could occupy the PF spot.

The big question is Lynee Belton and whether her injuries will allow her to continue to play basketball. Without her, Duke is pretty thin in the post. Freshman Odom could see a lot of time at the four and Erin Mathias is there, but post depth is a major concern. Emily Schubert will likely not contribute much as a freshman (probably about what Mathias did her first year, if that), and Sofia Roma will sit out per transfer rules.

As far as the perimeter, we have Faith Suggs, Haley Gorecki, and Crystal Primm, for the SG and SF spots. But we do not really have a backup point guard, unless Lexie starts at the point, with Lambert off the bench (and moving Primm to the starting lineup as a defensive stopper).

Still, there is a lot of talent there. Brown was an All-American at Maryland. Becca is an All-ACC player. Chidom, Cooper, Brown, Belton, Odom, Greenwell, Brown, and Lambert were McDonald's All-Americans.

aswewere
05-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Mechelle Voepel ‏@MechelleV · 18h18 hours ago

In 2013, Kevin White extended Joanne P. McCallie's contract through 2018-19. Might have been good idea to do "evaluation" before that.

bluedevilsince72
05-10-2016, 12:10 AM
Does anyone find it telling that not one current or former player has spoken up for P ? I understand the current players cant really say anything (although I remember a player from Nebraska spoke up in her coach's defense this spring during a controversy there). But the fact that not 1 former player has said anything in P's defense is shocking to me. Not 1 player. The silence is deafening.

I will not be attending any more games with P at the helm. If there are only 1-2k at each game next year, maybe White will finally make a change. With decent talent next year, they have a chance at the tourney. But the inevitable injuries that occur every year will deplete what little depth they have and probably result in another sub par season.

Capn Poptart
05-10-2016, 07:09 AM
Now there's a recruiting pitch:

"After an investigation into lots of players leaving and allegations of abusive behavior? Retained, baby!"

diablesseblu
05-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Does anyone find it telling that not one current or former player has spoken up for P ? I understand the current players cant really say anything (although I remember a player from Nebraska spoke up in her coach's defense this spring during a controversy there). But the fact that not 1 former player has said anything in P's defense is shocking to me. Not 1 player. The silence is deafening.

I will not be attending any more games with P at the helm. If there are only 1-2k at each game next year, maybe White will finally make a change. With decent talent next year, they have a chance at the tourney. But the inevitable injuries that occur every year will deplete what little depth they have and probably result in another sub par season.

I had read that one former MSU player had spoken up in her behalf, but cannot find who that may be via Google. Candice Jackson would have been an obvious choice to defend her former coach/boss, but the College of Charleston (or her attorney) probably will not let her speak.

aswewere
05-10-2016, 08:51 AM
I had read that one former MSU player had spoken up in her behalf, but cannot find who that may be via Google. Candice Jackson would have been an obvious choice to defend her former coach/boss, but the College of Charleston (or her attorney) probably will not let her speak.

Candice has her on problems. http://counton2.com/2016/04/26/former-college-of-charleston-basketball-player-sues-coaching-staff/

Richard Berg
05-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Candice has her on problems. http://counton2.com/2016/04/26/former-college-of-charleston-basketball-player-sues-coaching-staff/
Yikes. I hope she's taken to the cleaners.

killerleft
05-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Isn't it much, much more telling that evidently no current or former players were willing to back up the horror stories we've heard from many here at DBR? I say this from a neutral position on whether McCallie should stay or go. How do we account for this? If ever there was a chance to oust McCallie, this was it! 'Stockholm snydrome'?

jv001
05-10-2016, 10:53 AM
Isn't it much, much more telling that evidently no current or former players were willing to back up the horror stories we've heard from many here at DBR? I say this from a neutral position on whether McCallie should stay or go. How do we account for this? If ever there was a chance to oust McCallie, this was it! 'Stockholm snydrome'?

Or it could be the players were afraid to say anything negative about P and chance she's retained and things could really get bad. Now that P's not going anywhere this coming season. It looks like they made the right decision in keeping quiet. GoDuke!

GGLC
05-10-2016, 10:58 AM

"current or former players" like, say, Elizabeth Williams?

(and if you think CURRENT players would make public statements disparaging their coach, i respectfully submit that this is not a realistic expectation. we have no idea what they said behind closed doors.)

killerleft
05-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Or it could be the players were afraid to say anything negative about P and chance she's retained and things could really get bad. Now that P's not going anywhere this coming season. It looks like they made the right decision in keeping quiet. GoDuke!

She's coached here for a long time. What do the former players have to fear? I cannot get connected to this theory. We really have no idea whether present and/or former players have chimed in at all. Maybe there are players who appreciate what McCallie has done for them over the years. Quite a few, I'm guessing.

She's crusty, stubborn, and abrupt. I can see that. But so was Bobby Knight, and he coached until he was ready to quit.

Kedsy
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM
"current or former players" like, say, Elizabeth Williams?

According to the Chronicle (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/05/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-remains-following-program-investigation), "[Elizabeth] Williams reportedly said no mistreatment was physical or criminal in nature but described the program's atmosphere with McCallie at the helm as negative."

I'm not saying that's good, and obviously it was negative enough to drive away Sierra Calhoun, Alexa Jones, Angela Salvadores and Azura Stevens, but there's a difference between a "negative" atmosphere and "horror stories" of mistreatment. There's also a difference between a negative atmosphere and grounds for termination, which is probably why Coach P survived the investigation.

GGLC
05-10-2016, 11:34 AM
According to the Chronicle (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/05/duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-remains-following-program-investigation), "[Elizabeth] Williams reportedly said no mistreatment was physical or criminal in nature but described the program's atmosphere with McCallie at the helm as negative."

I'm not saying that's good, and obviously it was negative enough to drive away Sierra Calhoun, Alexa Jones, Angela Salvadores and Azura Stevens, but there's a difference between a "negative" atmosphere and "horror stories" of mistreatment. There's also a difference between a negative atmosphere and grounds for termination, which is probably why Coach P survived the investigation.

Totally agreed, Kedsy. And I don't have any reason to believe that there's ever been physical or criminal mistreatment.

But it's inaccurate to say that former players haven't expressed concerns about the program's atmosphere, when it was reportedly letters by Williams (and exit interviews with transferees and staff) that helped precipitate the investigation to begin with.

GGLC
05-10-2016, 11:35 AM
She's coached here for a long time. What do the former players have to fear? I cannot get connected to this theory. We really have no idea whether present and/or former players have chimed in at all. Maybe there are players who appreciate what McCallie has done for them over the years. Quite a few, I'm guessing.

She's crusty, stubborn, and abrupt. I can see that. But so was Bobby Knight, and he coached until he was ready to quit.

Yes, you are the picture of neutrality. :)

bluedevilsince72
05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Totally agreed, Kedsy. And I don't have any reason to believe that there's ever been physical or criminal mistreatment.

But it's inaccurate to say that former players haven't expressed concerns about the program's atmosphere, when it was reportedly letters by Williams (and exit interviews with transferees and staff) that helped precipitate the investigation to begin with.

It is accurate that not 1 former Duke player has spoken up publicly to the media expressing something positive about McCallie and standing up for their former coach. Thats the deafening silence I am referring to.

CDu
05-10-2016, 11:46 AM

On top of that, it doesn't have to be criminal abuse to be worthy of firing. If McCallie is running a program in such a way as to run off numerous players and staff and to have had a former player talking about the negative situation there, that could well be grounds for letting her go.

Clearly there is something wrong with the program. It appears that the "something wrong" wasn't provably wrong to the point of criminal. It also appears that whatever degree the wrong is, White decided it was not wrong enough to fire McCallie and pay her not to coach. Or, perhaps more accurately, it was found to be not provably wrong enough to justify terminating her contract, and he didn't want to pay her not to coach.

But I think it's inappropriate to ignore the fact that that so many players and staff have transferred/left and that a former player has responded negatively - while no players/coaches have responded in support of McCallie - and imply that there is nothing wrong. I think the ledger clearly is pointing in one direction here.

aswewere
05-10-2016, 11:51 AM

Where they really separate,. no one ever questioned Knight ability to coach. Or produce better players and people. [ Our coach K ]

Kedsy
05-10-2016, 11:55 AM

I think Bobby Knight is a good comparison, but he didn't coach until he was ready to quit, at least not at Indiana. Once he started losing games (look at his last 7 Hoosier seasons), Indiana decided enough was enough and let him go.

Where they really separate,. no one ever questioned Knight ability to coach. Or produce better players and people. [ Our coach K ]

Actually, by the end of his tenure at Indiana, my recollection is people were making similar criticisms (his defense was predictable and his offense was boring) that people have made of Coach P. The main difference I can see is that Bobby Knight won championships at Indiana, so people gave him more slack.

Also, I don't recall any All-Americans deciding to transfer out of Bobby Knight's program.

jimsumner
05-10-2016, 12:09 PM
I think Bobby Knight is a good comparison, but he didn't coach until he was ready to quit, at least not at Indiana. Once he started losing games (look at his last 7 Hoosier seasons), Indiana decided enough was enough and let him go.

Actually, by the end of his tenure at Indiana, my recollection is people were making similar criticisms (his defense was predictable and his offense was boring) that people have made of Coach P. The main difference I can see is that Bobby Knight won championships at Indiana, so people gave him more slack.

Also, I don't recall any All-Americans deciding to transfer out of Bobby Knight's program.

Well, Larry Bird transferred out of Bobby Knight's program.

As did our own Bob Bender.

And to Knight's credit, he helped Bender find a pretty good landing spot.

I think a better analog might be Matt Doherty.

I've started a longer response to this several times but I wish to be very precise and life has intervened. I will try to return to the topic later.

Richard Berg
05-10-2016, 12:25 PM
How do you know what the players did or didn't say? Duke is not making the reports from HR / outside counsel available to the media. Nor should they. (unless they needed to justify an expensive buyout to their donor base, maybe...but that's not the course they opted for)

Are you suggesting that the players should have tried McCallie in the court of public opinion, rather than cooperate with the Duke investigation? Why on earth would they do that?

killerleft
05-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Yes, you are the picture of neutrality. :)

I am:), and thanks for that. Give me something to go on. The same 'ol, same 'ol means nothing. Duke gave a party for the McCallie haters, and apparently nobody showed up. Or they showed up and had nothing other than vague remarks about negative vibes. Presumably, there were words that were positive, as well.

So I'm left holding the same old bag of evidence, and even an investigation couldn't fill it up. She's tough, takes no prisoners, and some players do not respond to her style of coaching. Female Bucky Waters, maybe? I get it. Truly, I would have liked for her to have been let go, mainly because there are way too many people who will never get behind her.

We're left with a coach who wasn't liked by some people when she was hired. She wasn't liked by many even as we were winning. The number has grown as we have won less. Three million reasons say she stays, apparently.

English
05-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Are you suggesting that the players should have tried McCallie in the court of public opinion, rather than cooperate with the Duke investigation? Why on earth would they do that?

Human nature and years/dozens of instances where these things are tried in the court of public opinion suggest that your question here is a bit naive.

Nor are cooperating with the investigation and providing anecdotes to reliable media sources in position to influence the AD's ultimate decision mutually exclusive.

GGLC
05-10-2016, 01:30 PM
I am:), and thanks for that. Give me something to go on. The same 'ol, same 'ol means nothing. Duke gave a party for the McCallie haters, and apparently nobody showed up. Or they showed up and had nothing other than vague remarks about negative vibes. Presumably, there were words that were positive, as well.

So I'm left holding the same old bag of evidence, and even an investigation couldn't fill it up. She's tough, takes no prisoners, and some players do not respond to her style of coaching. Female Bucky Waters, maybe? I get it. Truly, I would have liked for her to have been let go, mainly because there are way too many people who will never get behind her.

We're left with a coach who wasn't liked by some people when she was hired. She wasn't liked by many even as we were winning. The number has grown as we have won less. Three million reasons say she stays, apparently.

Given that at least one former player (Williams) has been publicly named as expressing concerns, and given the number of then-current players and staff who have voluntarily decided to make themselves former players and staff by transferring or taking lateral positions, and given the circumstances of the Rice termination and the pushback on that, I'm not sure how you can conflate "White decided that player/staff concerns about P didn't rise to the level of summary termination and he wasn't prepared to buy her out" with "apparently nobody had any substantive concerns about P."

But if Stevens and Salvadores transferring constitutes "the same old bag of evidence" to you, then, well... Is there any precedent anywhere for a sophomore All-American at a school like Duke voluntarily sitting out a year in order to play somewhere else because they were unhappy with their development/experience under the coaching staff?

Kedsy
05-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Well, Larry Bird transferred out of Bobby Knight's program.

That's a good one I hadn't remembered. But did Larry Bird actually play for Bobby Knight? I know he enrolled at Indiana, but I didn't think he even made it to the beginning of the basketball season before he bailed.

And Bob Bender was a good player, but I don't think he was a legitimate comparison to Azura Stevens as far as talent and accomplishments prior to his transfer.

Indoor66
05-10-2016, 01:41 PM
That's a good one I hadn't remembered. But did Larry Bird actually play for Bobby Knight? I know he enrolled at Indiana, but I didn't think he even made it to the beginning of the basketball season before he bailed.

And Bob Bender was a good player, but I don't think he was a legitimate comparison to Azura Stevens as far as talent and accomplishments prior to his transfer.

He was on one national championship team and another national runner-up team. Azura still has to make her bones.

devilseven
05-10-2016, 02:01 PM
I find it curious that since so many are against McCallie, and have been since she came to Duke, why haven't they got together and raised the money to buy her out? I guess that they were not willing to "put their money where their mouth is".

killerleft
05-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Given that at least one former player (Williams) has been publicly named as expressing concerns, and given the number of then-current players and staff who have voluntarily decided to make themselves former players and staff by transferring or taking lateral positions, and given the circumstances of the Rice termination and the pushback on that, I'm not sure how you can conflate "White decided that player/staff concerns about P didn't rise to the level of summary termination and he wasn't prepared to buy her out" with "apparently nobody had any substantive concerns about P."But if Stevens and Salvadores transferring constitutes "the same old bag of evidence" to you, then, well... Is there any precedent anywhere for a sophomore All-American at a school like Duke voluntarily sitting out a year in order to play somewhere else because they were unhappy with their development/experience under the coaching staff?

How did you read that into my post? White is the one keeping her, not me. He's the one who decided that whatever evidence there was wasn't enough. I suspect he already knew that, though. The investigation was legit, I guess. But the answers were not unexpected.

Kedsy
05-10-2016, 02:10 PM
He was on one national championship team and another national runner-up team.

So were Crawford Palmer and Clay Buckley. Doesn't speak to the quality of their play. Compared to his peers, Bob Bender wasn't nearly as good a ballplayer as Azura Stevens.

GGLC
05-10-2016, 02:10 PM

I felt that "apparently nobody had any substantive concerns about P" was a good faith paraphrase of the bolded and underlined language above.

If I'm wrong, then I do apologize (although in that case I find it curious why you've written multiple posts with the premise that no past players have expressed concerns, when this is self-evidently untrue).

sagegrouse
05-10-2016, 03:08 PM

How about Larry Bird?

Kedsy
05-10-2016, 03:26 PM
How about Larry Bird?

Yeah, I'd forgotten Bird. Jim Sumner brought him up too. But as I said in response to Jim, I don't think Bird ever played for Knight -- according to Wikipedia he left Indiana less than a month into his freshman year.

aswewere
05-10-2016, 04:08 PM
How did you read that into my post? White is the one keeping her, not me. He's the one who decided that whatever evidence there was wasn't enough. I suspect he already knew that, though. The investigation was legit, I guess. But the answers were not unexpected.

Evidence is not enough, you got to remember if he let her go that's also a confession of a big time screw up by him on her extension.

jimsumner
05-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Hey, you're preaching to the choir here.

Over the span of two years, McCallie has lost Alexis Jones and Sierra Calhoun, in addition to Stevens and Salvadores. Both Jones and Calhoun had been starters at Duke from the day they set foot on campus.

We live in a me-first, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately society. I get that. Lots of folks transfer because they aren't playing as much as they think they should be. But not in these cases and four in such a short span is a disturbing trend. And an unsustainable one.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-10-2016, 04:38 PM
In a vacuum, Stevens transferring would not have bothered me. If I had been playing at a high level in a prominent conference and aspired to play professionally, I would also strongly consider the opportunity to play for one of the greatest coaches out there and practice daily against the best college players in the world - it is the same argument we make about men's recruits choosing Duke over other schools, though obviously complicated by the fact that she is transferring rather than choosing UConn out of HS. There is no better training ground for professional women's basketball than UConn. However, this transfer in combination with everything else happening is what worries me.

Spanarkel
05-10-2016, 05:04 PM

McDonald's All-American('94) Neil Reed(RIP)

aswewere
05-10-2016, 05:10 PM
Elizabeth] Williams player development. Where does Al Brown fit in, every game I saw or was at Elizabeth was sitting beside him or getting advice when not playing.
It appeared Al had coach P attention a lot more than the other coaches during time outs. You may say they were both together with what we are seeing on the floor.

ipatent
05-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Oh, there was "there there" (from Laura Keeley), but not enough to pay $3 million for a resolution. If I ever need a bulldog attorney, would love whoever crafted JPM's contract.

ND had the donors to pay out the ill conceived Charlie Weis contract extension. Duke doesn't....at least for this position.

Probably a big factor. Last I heard Duke women's hoops has a net loss of about a million per year.

throatybeard
05-10-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm a bear of very little brain. Riddle me this.

Why did Duke make public a juuuuuuuuugggge investigation if retaining her was ever still on the table? If you're not going to can someone, you don't wave your hands all over town and announce that you're considering it.

From where I sit, it looks like Duke self-injured for no discernible gain. Please correct me.

dudog84
05-10-2016, 05:30 PM
But if Stevens and Salvadores transferring constitutes "the same old bag of evidence" to you, then, well... Is there any precedent anywhere for a sophomore All-American at a school like Duke voluntarily sitting out a year in order to play somewhere else because they were unhappy with their development/experience under the coaching staff?

Interestingly (to me at least), Stevens is the last of all of Coach P's players (ever) who could be unhappy with her development. She was the consensus #40 recruit and has become one of the top 5 players in her class. I would think coaching had something to do with that. Therefore it must be the experience.

My most interesting interview would have been with Lexie Brown. She left a Final Four team, and a demonstrably aggressive coach, and got to watch our program for the last year. Very curious about the differences she saw between the two programs and coaches. I want our coach to push them. They're getting a free ride. I didn't like the way I was treated in my work-study job for a few bucks a week. Nobody cared. I'm not whining, just saying that's the way things used to be. And get off my lawn!

I am saddened that there is this huge fissure in the fan base. Looks like it's going to be around for a while.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Why did Duke make public a juuuuuuuuugggge investigation if retaining her was ever still on the table? If you're not going to can someone, you don't wave your hands all over town and announce that you're considering it.

From where I sit, it looks like Duke self-injured for no discernible gain. Please correct me.

I think it is referenced earlier in the thread or in other threads but I'm pretty sure they did not intend for this to be public. Life would be much easier if they had done it privately, they decided no action needed to be taken, and other the immediate circle of influence, no one would need to know about it. Once it was made public, the whole thing became a lot stickier and in many ways she is automatically somewhat guilty regardless of the outcome. Also, once it became public, the university had to acknowledge what was going on.

duke79
05-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Probably a big factor. Last I heard Duke women's hoops has a net loss of about a million per year.

Interesting. But as is often the case when looking at internal numbers, you would need to know what is included for both revenues and expenses when calculating a profit or loss for one particular sport at a university. It seems to me that there could be a lot of wiggle room to massage the numbers around. But I don't see women's BB as a money making enterprise, unlike men's BB at Duke.

throatybeard
05-10-2016, 05:33 PM

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it makes sense.

The men's program has to do 100% of the stuff they have to do and they bring in 100% of the revenue they bring in.

The women have to do like 90% of the stuff the men do, and uh-oh this second number is lower than like 90.

GGLC
05-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Interestingly (to me at least), Stevens is the last of all of Coach P's players (ever) who could be unhappy with her development. She was the consensus #40 recruit and has become one of the top 5 players in her class. I would think coaching had something to do with that. Therefore it must be the experience.

My most interesting interview would have been with Lexie Brown. She left a Final Four team, and a demonstrably aggressive coach, and got to watch our program for the last year. Very curious about the differences she saw between the two programs and coaches. I want our coach to push them. They're getting a free ride. I didn't like the way I was treated in my work-study job for a few bucks a week. Nobody cared. I'm not whining, just saying that's the way things used to be. And get off my lawn!

I am saddened that there is this huge fissure in the fan base. Looks like it's going to be around for a while.

So Stevens is lying when she says that she transferred in order to better develop as a basketball player?

Kedsy
05-10-2016, 05:42 PM
So Stevens is lying when she says that she transferred in order to better develop as a basketball player?

She may have just been attempting to speak diplomatically. Or she may honestly think she's gone as far as she can go under Coach P and wants to expand her talents further. There's no way for us to know. But dudog84 is right that Azura certainly exceeded expectations at Duke and usually (in other places) the coach gets some credit for that.

dyedwab
05-10-2016, 07:01 PM

And the press statements put out by Duke were...unsatisfying. They barely acknowledge that an investigation was happened. A "We found some things we know need correcting. Here are some steps we are taking" would be better than what came out, which seemed to me like pious horse hockey.

(and yes, private school, no need to disclose, privacy, etc. But at the the statements you make should acknowledge something occurred. They didn't.)

aswewere
05-10-2016, 07:21 PM
She may have just been attempting to speak diplomatically. Or she may honestly think she's gone as far as she can go under Coach P and wants to expand her talents further. There's no way for us to know. But dudog84 is right that Azura certainly exceeded expectations at Duke and usually (in other places) the coach gets some credit for that.

Here is a U- tube of Azura in high school and its easy to see by any one that follows women's basketball that we were getting a outstanding player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVBw3d5KU0

DukieInKansas
05-10-2016, 07:28 PM
One can only hope that the investigation provided specifics as to where improvements are needed and how progress in those areas will be achieved and measured. May this be a learning process for all involved.

I certainly understand an unwillingness to support the current coaching staff - however, please remember that the student-athletes deserve support. I will continue to cheer for our Blue Devils. Here's hoping for an injury free year and success in the classroom and on the court for our team.

ipatent
05-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Interesting. But as is often the case when looking at internal numbers, you would need to know what is included for both revenues and expenses when calculating a profit or loss for one particular sport at a university. It seems to me that there could be a lot of wiggle room to massage the numbers around. But I don't see women's BB as a money making enterprise, unlike men's BB at Duke.

Love Duke women's hoops, but as a business proposition it doesn't make sense to pay a WBB coach millions to leave early like Paul Hewitt and GT.

Last I checked only UConn made money in women's hoops, because of a cable deal.

Not aware of any of the details in the Coach P situation, but her overall record isn't bad. I'm sure the situation will be reviewed again when it is time to renew.

hallcity
05-10-2016, 07:46 PM

I'm sure that Kevin White has wanted all along to sweep this under the rug. He seems to have a lot of trouble admitting even implicitly that he made a mistake in extending McCallie's contract. This investigation seems like a pathetic attempt to make the problem go away but that's not possible. McCallie's critics are too many and, like Elizabeth Williams, too credible to ignore. I don't know how she has treated her players. Some certainly feel mistreated. However, my eyes tell me that her teams are poorly coached. She's squandered a lot of talent. This issue is going to remain a controversy until McCallie goes. Duke fans who are tired of hearing about it aren't going to get their wish.

jtelander
05-10-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm sure that Kevin White has wanted all along to sweep this under the rug. He seems to have a lot of trouble admitting even implicitly that he made a mistake in extending McCallie's contract. This investigation seems like a pathetic attempt to make the problem go away but that's not possible. McCallie's critics are too many and, like Elizabeth Williams, too credible to ignore. I don't know how she has treated her players. Some certainly feel mistreated. However, my eyes tell me that her teams are poorly coached. She's squandered a lot of talent. This issue is going to remain a controversy until McCallie goes. Duke fans who are tired of hearing about it aren't going to get their wish.

I expect the investigation of McCallie will be mentioned every time a DWBB game is broadcast.

throatybeard
05-10-2016, 08:49 PM
I expect the investigation of McCallie will be mentioned every time a DWBB game is broadcast.

dude did you know Chris Carrawell, Loren Woods, and Jahidi White all went to HS together?

dudog84
05-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Here is a U- tube of Azura in high school and its easy to see by any one that follows women's basketball that we were getting a outstanding player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVBw3d5KU0

Yes, and that's why the four ranking services gave her an average ranking of #40 in the class. You've missed your calling, you should be a high school girls basketball talent evaluator.

I won't respond to the *ahem* poster that claimed I called Azura a liar lest the moderators give me a smack.

GGLC
05-10-2016, 09:09 PM
Yes, and that's why the four ranking services gave her an average ranking of #40 in the class. You've missed your calling, you should be a high school girls basketball talent evaluator.

I won't respond to the *ahem* poster that claimed I called Azura a liar lest the moderators give me a smack.

You said she couldn't have felt that her development was lacking. Her stated reason for transferring was her desire for greater development.

Which of the two of you do I believe?

sagegrouse
05-10-2016, 10:38 PM

IMHO (where the H keeps running away), Kevin White is one of the premier athletic directors in the country, and Duke is fortunate to have him. He is a class act that knows how to run a program and keep athletics from veering into the ditch like at other places down the road. The odd fandango involving the investigation occurred because of a leak -- probably from someone who was interviewed in the process (nice digging Laura Keeley).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-10-2016, 11:08 PM
dude did you know Chris Carrawell, Loren Woods, and Jahidi White all went to HS together?

Someone once told me that all the M. Plumlees were related. They never mentioned that.

aswewere
05-11-2016, 06:12 AM

After a player signs with a top team they get another look. As per the U- tube she was great the day she committed to us. http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/163511/azura-stevens

luburch
05-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I'd forgotten Bird. Jim Sumner brought him up too. But as I said in response to Jim, I don't think Bird ever played for Knight -- according to Wikipedia he left Indiana less than a month into his freshman year.

Yep, Bird left shortly after arriving on campus. I believe a the time he cited that being from the small town of French Lick, a big school like IU was too much for him. Meanwhile, Knight has said that Bird transferring is one of the biggest regrets in his (Knight's) career..

throatybeard
05-11-2016, 09:13 AM
So were Crawford Palmer and Clay Buckley. Doesn't speak to the quality of their play. Compared to his peers, Bob Bender wasn't nearly as good a ballplayer as Azura Stevens.

English
05-11-2016, 10:22 AM

And Derryck Thornton transferred because he wanted to play college ball closer to home, right? Like the U of Miami?

Sometimes people tell the media, or press releases suggest things that may only be some thin slice of the truth or none at all. Because, ya know, real life.

GGLC
05-11-2016, 10:36 AM
And Derryck Thornton transferred because he wanted to play college ball closer to home, right? Like the U of Miami?

Sometimes people tell the media, or press releases suggest things that may only be some thin slice of the truth or none at all. Because, ya know, real life.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, but this is a silly tangent anyway. Stevens saying she wants better development elsewhere is an indictment of McCallie if anything, so I'm not sure why that would be the "diplomatic" (as Kedsy put it) path to take.

And in any event I disagree with dudog that Azura's stardom at Duke is presumptively a function of good coaching rather than, say, Azura herself figuring it out. How much credit should Dave Odom get for having an unheralded freshman from the Virgin Islands turn into one of the greatest players in basketball history? I wager you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't believe that Tim Duncan deserves the lion's share of that credit himself.

flyingdutchdevil
05-11-2016, 11:40 AM
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, but this is a silly tangent anyway. Stevens saying she wants better development elsewhere is an indictment of McCallie if anything, so I'm not sure why that would be the "diplomatic" (as Kedsy put it) path to take.

And in any event I disagree with dudog that Azura's stardom at Duke is presumptively a function of good coaching rather than, say, Azura herself figuring it out. How much credit should Dave Odom get for having an unheralded freshman from the Virgin Islands turn into one of the greatest players in basketball history? I wager you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't believe that Tim Duncan deserves the lion's share of that credit himself.

If a player outside of Duke turns out to be a superstar, DBR dictates that the superstar gets the lion's share of credit.

If a player inside Duke turns out to be a superstar, DBR dictates that the coaching star gets the lion's share of credit.

Funny how that works out, huh?

dudog84
05-11-2016, 12:13 PM
You said she couldn't have felt that her development was lacking. Her stated reason for transferring was her desire for greater development.

Well, it's a free country (for the time being) so you can believe whoever you want. I tend to believe empirical data instead of what someone blathers at me. We're a disappearing breed.

dudog84
05-11-2016, 12:23 PM
After a player signs with a top team they get another look. As per the U- tube she was great the day she committed to us. http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/163511/azura-stevens

I don't know why you can't comprehend this (oh, that's right, there's an agenda). Azura was ranked #23 by ESPN (6th at her position), #27 by All-Star Girls Report, #55 by Blue Star, #57 by Prospect Nation.

(23+27+55+57)/4=40.5

#40 is not great.

Tom B.
05-11-2016, 12:25 PM
McDonald's All-American('94) Neil Reed(RIP)

Huh. I didn't even realize that Neil Reed was dead.

Also Luke Recker (1997 McD's All-American) transferred from Bobby Knight's program.

GGLC
05-11-2016, 01:22 PM
I don't know why you can't comprehend this (oh, that's right, there's an agenda). Azura was ranked #23 by ESPN (6th at her position), #27 by All-Star Girls Report, #55 by Blue Star, #57 by Prospect Nation.

(23+27+55+57)/4=40.5

#40 is not great.

If you want to go down this route, I'm pretty sure I could find articles from early in Azura's freshman year talking about how impressive she'd been in practice and what an impact she was poised to make. She had 18 points and 10 rebounds in 18 minutes against Marquette in her third-ever collegiate game, and then 15 points and 7 rebounds on the road against #7 Texas A&M two games later (http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/2014-15/basketball-w/plyr_11.htm?DB_OEM_ID=4200). So, using empirical evidence, it's not at all clear to me that she was some kind of diamond in the rough that McCallie should get presumptively significant credit for polishing up. It seems like she was pretty darn polished from the getgo, high school recruiting rankings notwithstanding.

Kfanarmy
05-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately without more detail on the investigation, this is taking on the same feel as post-game discussions this season did...Sorta like my kids saying "Did to" "Did not" at each other.

At this point maybe it would be better to hope for the best and put some of the negativity behind us. What is done is done unless another shoe drops.

killerleft
05-11-2016, 01:40 PM

So, if she's indicting McCallie for something that Azura herself deserves the lion's share of credit for, isn't that actually a self-indictment?:):o I know, I know, it's a slow afternoon at work.

"Throw her into the pond!"

devildeac
05-11-2016, 02:01 PM
So, if she's indicting McCallie for something that Azura herself deserves the lion's share of credit for, isn't that actually a self-indictment?:):o I know, I know, it's a slow afternoon at work.

Yea, but what also floats in water?

;)

GGLC
05-11-2016, 02:01 PM

Um...no? Stevens believing that a different coach could better develop her as a player is not at all inconsistent with Stevens being the person who deserves the lion's share of credit for her own development at Duke.

OldPhiKap
05-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately without more detail on the investigation, this is taking on the same feel as post-game discussions this season did...Sorta like my kids saying "Did to" "Did not" at each other.

At this point maybe it would be better to hope for the best and put some of the negativity behind us. What is done is done unless another shoe drops.

Wise words, being cast into the face of a prevailing wind . . . .

Absent someone coming up with a boatload of money, Coach P is our coach for next year. I am sure the expectations are as clear to her and to Kevin as to everyone here.

Like it or not, we gotta dance with the horse that brung us. Would love to have a great year and put all of this in the rear view mirror. I am afraid that there are too many people who have passed the point of no return on this issue however. And perhaps with good cause. But we are where we are.

Next play. Or donate money. That's the option.

Henderson
05-11-2016, 03:07 PM
Yea, but what also floats in water?

;)

Very small rocks?

killerleft
05-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Um...no? Stevens believing that a different coach could better develop her as a player is not at all inconsistent with Stevens being the person who deserves the lion's share of credit for her own development at Duke.

Of course. I was really trying to agree with you about the lion's share thing. But I'm not saying nice things about Geno today. Or Laura Keeley.

CamrnCrz1974
05-11-2016, 03:44 PM
And in Coach P's first public appearance since the results of the investigation were announced...

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/730417180962115585

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/730466965437984768

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/730467656596344834

bluedevilsince72
05-11-2016, 03:57 PM
And in Coach P's first public appearance since the results of the investigation were announced...

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/730417180962115585

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/730466965437984768

https://twitter.com/ArmstrongABC11/status/730467656596344834

Great tweet about how Matthew Mitchell and P are handling the problems in their programs differently. Mitchell holds an hour long press conference and P runs and hides.

GGLC
05-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Of course. I was really trying to agree with you about the lion's share thing. But I'm not saying nice things about Geno today. Or Laura Keeley.

Got it. Sorry; I definitely wouldn't want to put anyone in the position of saying nice things about Geno. :)

OldPhiKap
05-11-2016, 04:33 PM
I definitely wouldn't want to put anyone in the position of saying nice things about Geno. :)

I do think that's something that everyone would agree with!

PackMan97
05-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Could this be an issue where you found things you didn't like, but nothing to warrant a firing with cause...and this being a bad time of to try and hire a coach you pretty much have to let the next season play out?

English
05-11-2016, 05:14 PM

We should start a debate about whether a coach deserves credit for player development or whether the player is actually more credit-worthy. Oh, wait, nevermind. That's a third of the threads on DBR and all of them that involve OADs, Cal vs. K, or anything about Duke, UNC, or UK players in the NBA. I'm glad to see it's crept over to the ladies' game--you know, Title IX and all that.

-jk
05-11-2016, 05:25 PM

I think no one directly addressed this - the investigation was outed by a blogger before Duke announced it.

-jk

hallcity
05-11-2016, 07:27 PM
I think no one directly addressed this - the investigation was outed by a blogger before Duke announced it.

-jk

There was no way this could have been kept secret. Too many people were being interviewed.

GGLC
05-11-2016, 07:46 PM
There was no way this could have been kept secret. Too many people were being interviewed.

Who was being interviewed?

sagegrouse
05-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Who was being interviewed?

Well, I suppose Lauren Rice, our fired video coordinator and former Duke player.

bluedevilsince72
05-12-2016, 12:18 AM
I seem to remember an investigation by Kevin White a few years ago. I think it was after Williams soph or jr year. It just wasn't made public.

Does anyone also know if this was the case?

aswewere
05-12-2016, 07:34 PM
Good morning,

As you have likely heard, Duke University’s Human Resources department has completed the evaluation of the Duke Women’s Basketball program. Athletic Director Kevin White and Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie released the following statements:

Kevin White on Duke Women’s Basketball Evaluation

“Joanne P. McCallie is, and will be, our head women’s basketball coach and we support her. A three-time ACC Coach of the Year, she is a winning coach who has averaged more than 27 wins per season, won three ACC Championships and led our program to the NCAA Elite Eight four times.

“We have received and thoroughly reviewed the evaluation report of the Duke women’s basketball program. The purpose of this evaluation, which Duke Athletics initiated with an outside party, was for Duke women’s basketball to get even better. I have discussed the results at length with Coach McCallie, and we are indeed in a position to improve Duke women’s basketball for present and future student-athletes, coaches, and staff alike. We are grateful for the efforts of those who worked so diligently and provided information for this project, including Coach McCallie, and for their deep commitment to Duke women’s basketball. The student-athlete experience at Duke is our highest priority, and we will always take seriously any concerns that we are not meeting that goal.”

Joanne P. McCallie on Duke Women’s Basketball Evaluation

“The information we received from this process, and the subsequent conversations with Duke Athletics leadership, afforded me an opportunity to consider my ongoing efforts to be the best possible basketball coach and leader of young women. I have always understood that it is an honor and a privilege to coach student-athletes, and that is a commitment I brought with me to Duke University. I understand that it is my obligation to uphold the highest standards of excellence in all areas. After in-depth discussions with Dr. White, I am satisfied that we share a clear vision moving forward in our aspirations to maintain a championship level women’s basketball program. Going forward, I expect these to be the reasons the Duke women's basketball program is in the spotlight, and, as the head coach, it is my responsibility to make it happen.”

Additional DWB notes:

Currently, the student-athletes have all gone their separate ways for summer vacation. We look forward to having everyone back on campus later this summer, including incoming DWB student-athletes – freshmen Leaonna Odom and Emily Schubert and transfer student Sofia Roma.

Coach McCallie and I just returned from ACC Spring Meetings. We had a very productive couple of days with the group of ACC women’s basketball coaches discussing hot topics affecting the sport of women’s basketball, both in a national context and at the conference level. The group is an energized and passionate one, committed to ensuring that the ACC is the top conference relative to women’s basketball.

In closing, it’s graduation weekend and we wish all the best to Mercedes Riggs and Amber Henson! They have been incredible teammates and representatives of Duke, and they are both outstanding young women set up for great success in their futures. Congratulations Mercedes and Amber!

Enjoy the day. Go Duke!

nina.

----------------

Nina King

Deputy Athletic Director/Chief of Staff

Duke Athletics

kmspeaks
05-13-2016, 08:07 PM
I will concede up front that the level of media coverage and (possibly) connection between recruits/players is higher in DI basketball than DII softball but the situation sounds similar to the one at the school where I spent 2 years before transferring. Starters transferred in mass, or in the case of a 1st team all conference player who set a record for home runs in a season - quit after their junior season, assistant coaches didn't stay very long, and complaints were made to administration. The coach was controlling and abrasive, but there was nothing illegal going on, it just wasn't a pleasant place to be.

Here's the rub though, she continually brings in top recruits. Every year a new crop of top freshmen comes in to replace those who flee and no one seems to care that in a class of 6-8 maybe 1-2 will stay and play for 4 years. It may end up being the case, but I'm not 100% convinced McCallie's ability to recruit is now dead.

CameronBornAndBred
05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
I will concede up front that the level of media coverage and (possibly) connection between recruits/players is higher in DI basketball than DII softball but the situation sounds similar to the one at the school where I spent 2 years before transferring. Starters transferred in mass, or in the case of a 1st team all conference player who set a record for home runs in a season - quit after their junior season, assistant coaches didn't stay very long, and complaints were made to administration. The coach was controlling and abrasive, but there was nothing illegal going on, it just wasn't a pleasant place to be.

Here's the rub though, she continually brings in top recruits. Every year a new crop of top freshmen comes in to replace those who flee and no one seems to care that in a class of 6-8 maybe 1-2 will stay and play for 4 years. It may end up being the case, but I'm not 100% convinced McCallie's ability to recruit is now dead.
The pool of elite players in women's basketball is extremely small compared to the overall collection. McCallie will get recruits, but I won't be surprised if those in the top 25 don't pay Duke much attention. What she DOES have going for her, as coaches such as David Cutcliffe have proven, is that the offer of a paid education at Duke is pretty enticing. In the women's game, the education aspect carries much more value than it does in the men's, since even for the elite players, life after college is not going to spent as an instant millionaire.

aswewere
05-14-2016, 06:27 AM
In this years recruiting class 2017 # 19 Boykin has committed to us and if she stays it will make for a
great year considering everything. Hoping to see some adjustments in our staff that will bring new ideas for
our offense / defense and it will also bring a positive lift for our game plus fans.

ESPNs top 60 class of 2017.
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2017

bluedevilsince72
05-14-2016, 07:59 AM
In this years recruiting class 2017 # 19 Boykin has committed to us and if she stays it will make for a
great year considering everything. Hoping to see some adjustments in our staff that will bring new ideas for
our offense / defense and it will also bring a positive lift for our game plus fans.

ESPNs top 60 class of 2017.
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2017

"Adjustments in our staff that will bring in new ideas?!?!?!??!?" Have you watched DWB the last 8 years? What makes you think P might change?

aswewere
05-14-2016, 08:35 AM
"Adjustments in our staff that will bring in new ideas?!?!?!??!?" Have you watched DWB the last 8 years? What makes you think P might change?

No I would not place any bets on her changing. The following is her PR release will see.

The information we received from this process, and the subsequent conversations with Duke Athletics leadership, afforded me an opportunity to consider my ongoing efforts to be the best possible basketball coach and leader of young women. I have always understood that it is an honor and a privilege to coach student-athletes, and that is a commitment I brought with me to Duke University. I understand that it is my obligation to uphold the highest standards of excellence in all areas. After in-depth discussions with Dr. White, I am satisfied that we share a clear vision moving forward in our aspirations to maintain a championship level women’s basketball program. Going forward, I expect these to be the reasons the Duke women's basketball program is in the spotlight, and, as the head coach, it is my responsibility to make it happen.”

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Have you not read ANY DWB thread? If there is any one given, next to death and taxes, it's aswewere's thoughts on P's flexibility...
;)

cspan37421
05-15-2016, 08:47 AM
No I would not place any bets on her changing. The following is her PR release will see.

The information we received from this process, and the subsequent conversations with Duke Athletics leadership, afforded me an opportunity to consider my ongoing efforts to be the best possible basketball coach and leader of young women. I have always understood that it is an honor and a privilege to coach student-athletes, and that is a commitment I brought with me to Duke University. I understand that it is my obligation to uphold the highest standards of excellence in all areas. After in-depth discussions with Dr. White, I am satisfied that we share a clear vision moving forward in our aspirations to maintain a championship level women’s basketball program. Going forward, I expect these to be the reasons the Duke women's basketball program is in the spotlight, and, as the head coach, it is my responsibility to make it happen.”

This reads like a barely-modified dressing down given to her by the AD. "You need to understand that it is an honor and privilege to coach .... It is your obligation to uphold .... "

Indoor66
05-15-2016, 09:35 AM
This reads like a barely-modified dressing down given to her by the AD. "You need to understand that it is an honor and privilege to coach ... It is your obligation to uphold ... "

What do you expect in a considered press release about a personnel matter at a private University? Charles Manson's confession?

CameronBlue
05-15-2016, 01:54 PM
What do you expect in a considered press release about a personnel matter at a private University? Charles Manson's confession?

You're associating Coach P with Manson? Really? Hasn't Charlie suffered enough?

aswewere
05-17-2016, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=aswewere;887194]In this years recruiting class 2017 # 19 Boykin has committed to us and if she stays it will make for a

Note above we need a lot of new input from our staff. Coach has two teenagers to raise and takes in as many of there games as possible, a husband to keep happy, loves to play golf /tennis,
travels a lot scouting & recruiting this requires many hours of communication with prospects, basketball office to manage and numerous request for her time by Duke / others. Coach P plate
is full and she is not super woman and as many of us have requested for years bring in assistant's with new creative ideas this would be a giant step on the road back.

stillcrazie
05-17-2016, 03:14 PM
So, not that it means anything, but last night I dreamed DWB won the title while Coach P was still our head coach. I was at the game and talked to several of the players. I actually thought in my dream,"This is amazing, but it must have been a down year for women's basketball."

bluedevilsince72
05-17-2016, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=aswewere;887194]
Note above we need a lot of new input from our staff. Coach has two teenagers to raise and takes in as many of there games as possible, a husband to keep happy, loves to play golf /tennis,
travels a lot scouting & recruiting this requires many hours of communication with prospects, basketball office to manage and numerous request for her time by Duke / others. Coach P plate
is full and she is not super woman and as many of us have requested for years bring in assistant's with new creative ideas this would be a giant step on the road back.

How did Coach k did it all of these years with 3 girls and a wife to keep happy? racquetball with Alleva back in the beginning of the dynasty? coaching the Olympic team? speaking engagements all over the world? He must have had some assistants with really creative ideas to win all those games.

aswewere
05-17-2016, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=aswewere;887652]

How did Coach k did it all of these years with 3 girls and a wife to keep happy? racquetball with Alleva back in the beginning of the dynasty? coaching the Olympic team? speaking engagements all over the world? He must have had some assistants with really creative ideas to win all those games.

Superman and yes he has great assistants.

heyman25
05-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Pretty surprised McCallie has a 6 figure contact but has the most predictable stagnant offense devised. Women's basketball also loses money. She does recruit well,but hopefully when her contract expires a new coach will be hired.

duke79
05-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Pretty surprised McCallie has a 6 figure contact but has the most predictable stagnant offense devised. Women's basketball also loses money. She does recruit well,but hopefully when her contract expires a new coach will be hired.

I was curious too about her reported 7 figure contract. I know almost nothing about the pay scale for top Div. 1 women's basketball coaches, and this seemed a little generous to me, but maybe this is in the ballpark of what needs to be paid? I'd be interested to see over the last 40 years or so, how the pay of coaches in the so-called glamour sports - men's and women's basketball, football, etc. have escalated compared to other coaches and to other university employees (professors, for example). I also wonder how much the head coaches in the other sports - soccer, tennis, golf, etc. - get paid at a school like Duke. Anyone know?

cspan37421
05-20-2016, 06:04 PM
How did Coach k did it all of these years with 3 girls and a wife to keep happy? racquetball with Alleva back in the beginning of the dynasty?

Close. You see, one day, I was on my way to a PE class and saw him going to the racquetball court, probably to play Alleva. I said, "Hey, Coach", and - wait for it - he said, "Hi." See, meaningful relationships like that are what fueled him in the middle of his Duke tenure. ;)

sagegrouse
05-20-2016, 06:12 PM
I was curious too about her reported 7 figure contract. I know almost nothing about the pay scale for top Div. 1 women's basketball coaches, and this seemed a little generous to me, but maybe this is in the ballpark of what needs to be paid? I'd be interested to see over the last 40 years or so, how the pay of coaches in the so-called glamour sports - men's and women's basketball, football, etc. have escalated compared to other coaches and to other university employees (professors, for example). I also wonder how much the head coaches in the other sports - soccer, tennis, golf, etc. - get paid at a school like Duke. Anyone know?

Muffet McGraw at Notre Dame made $1.6 million in a recent year, according to a story in USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/05/19/brian-kelly-charlie-weis-muffet-mcgraw-mike-brey-notre-dame-tax-return/27554511/).

diablesseblu
05-20-2016, 10:40 PM

Her total compensation is 7 figures.

NSDukeFan
05-21-2016, 04:14 PM

It figures.

aswewere
05-21-2016, 05:42 PM
It figures.

Not one word to the fan base from our athletic department, to assure us its not going to be business as usual which has create so much unrest in the program. Our ADs received
complaints about coach P for years and have stayed on the sideline's as our reputation / program sank. This is not in keeping with the excellent manner our total program is run.

Saratoga2
05-21-2016, 07:25 PM

My objection to her is that the team seems lost out there when playing really talented opponents. I doubt that her coaching is ever going to produce team play and improvement throughout the season. From what I see, regardless of any other issues I would seek out another coach at the end of her contract.

MCFinARL
05-22-2016, 01:18 PM

I can't answer your question, but re payment of coaches generally, the coaches in glamor sports generally make more than university presidents (not to mention faculty). According to a USA Today report (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/), 71 football coaches made $1,000,000 or more in base pay from their schools in 2015. I could not find 2015 data for university presidents, but in 2014, there were three public university (http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/07/pf/college/highest-paid-public-university-presidents/)presidents whose total compensation was over $1,000,000--the highest of which was the president of Penn State at just under $1.5 million. In 2013, there were 31 presidents of private colleges and universities (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/us/salaries-of-private-college-presidents-continue-to-rise-survey-finds.html?_r=0)who made $1 million or more, the highest of which was Columbia's Lee Bollinger, with a package (including deferred compensation and housing) worth $4.7 million; no president had base pay as high as $2 million.

This reminds me of a trivia question making the rounds last year--who is the highest paid employee of the US Government? Answer: Ken Niumatalolo, Navy football coach, at $1,637,803. The President of the United States makes $400,000, with another $169,000 in expense, travel, and entertainment allowances. Of course, he does get housing as well.

77devil
05-22-2016, 05:16 PM
This reminds me of a trivia question making the rounds last year--who is the highest paid employee of the US Government? Answer: Ken Niumatalolo, Navy football coach, at $1,637,803. The President of the United States makes $400,000, with another $169,000 in expense, travel, and entertainment allowances. Of course, he does get housing as well.

And a pretty decent plane too.

aswewere
05-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Coach does not see any changes she needs to make, its just our fan base and the times we live in.

In an exclusive interview shortly after the school released its findings, McCallie traced her difficulties to unspecified “internal and external entities” within the Duke community, and to the elevation of emotion over reason. “The emotion was frustration and anger, and we didn’t go to the NCAA tournament, and the coach is horrible,” she explained.

McCallie, known to direct cutting comments at individual players, flatly rejected the charge she is verbally abusive. “That’s what you say in this day and age if you want to upset the apple cart and have an investigation. You have to use those key words,” she said. “That’s the society we live in today.”

Gargoyle
05-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Coach does not see any changes she needs to make, its just our fan base and the times we live in.

In an exclusive interview shortly after the school released its findings, McCallie traced her difficulties to unspecified “internal and external entities” within the Duke community, and to the elevation of emotion over reason. “The emotion was frustration and anger, and we didn’t go to the NCAA tournament, and the coach is horrible,” she explained.

McCallie, known to direct cutting comments at individual players, flatly rejected the charge she is verbally abusive. “That’s what you say in this day and age if you want to upset the apple cart and have an investigation. You have to use those key words,” she said. “That’s the society we live in today.”

Here is the article from the N&O. Sometimes, snippets of an article give a different impression that a reading of the entire article might convey.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article80382987.html

Indoor66
05-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Here is the article from the N&O. Sometimes, snippets of an article give a different impression that a reading of the entire article might convey.

Especially when promoting an agenda.

aswewere
05-28-2016, 02:03 PM

I've read it three times, please feel free to point out my over site.

Mike Corey
05-28-2016, 11:50 PM
It's difficult to read this article and share anyone's enthusiasm that Coach P is still Duke's coach.

Scorp4me
05-29-2016, 12:19 AM
I know less than many I'm sure but I imagine this was a big part of why no changes or statements were made...

"Probably working to McCallie’s benefit, all practices were open and taped. A Duke administrator assigned to her program is routinely present at team functions."

I'm guessing they reviewed they evidence and couldn't find anything. Now I'm not saying it's not there, but probably put administration in a much more precarious position.

aswewere
05-29-2016, 11:29 AM
We have also lost some mighty good people along with our elite program. http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/5/28/11805318/vanderbilt-hires-joy-cheek-assistant

diablesseblu
05-29-2016, 11:48 AM
We have also lost some mighty good people along with our elite program. http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/5/28/11805318/vanderbilt-hires-joy-cheek-assistant

Kudos to the Vanderbilt AD for the stellar WBB staff they've hired.

Kfanarmy
05-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Article seems to have been removed?

diablesseblu
05-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Indeed, it is not there. What the **** happened?

CameronBornAndBred
05-29-2016, 10:11 PM
I would love to see Coach Cheek back on Duke's bench as HC after McCallie's eventual departure. She would be a great selection that the fan base could get behind, and a good start to a much needed healing process. Hopefully, she will still be available at the end of P's contract. In the mean time, she will continue to get valuable experience as an assistant.

jtelander
05-30-2016, 08:05 AM

What are the possible reasons an article would be removed?

sagegrouse
05-30-2016, 08:42 AM
What are the possible reasons an article would be removed?

Vociferous and persuasive arguments from the Duke Athletic Department? Lindy Brown is SID for women's basketball; Mike Cragg (who used to be SID) is Deputy Director of Athletics for Operations; and Kevin White is the AD (who would normally speak only to the paper's senior editors).

jtelander
05-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Vociferous and persuasive arguments from the Duke Athletic Department? Lindy Brown is SID for women's basketball; Mike Cragg (who used to be SID) is Deputy Director of Athletics for Operations; and Kevin White is the AD (who would normally speak only to the paper's senior editors).

Or a glitch...I'm told it is in the printed version of the N&O today

chrishoke
05-30-2016, 12:50 PM
Or a glitch...I'm told it is in the printed version of the N&O today

Yes it is.

Mike Corey
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM
The Chronicle has published a Q&A with Coach P (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/qa-duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-discusses-hr-evaluation-recent-high-profile-departures). Here are some excerpts:

Crisis has a way of clarifying, but I was really disenchanted with former players trying to interrupt what the current players are doing. I think that’s a really bad thing. I don’t think anybody should try to play AD and play a role of that nature. With that said, 20 wins wasn’t 27—I know we had averaged 27, I know we’d done some great things.

But to me, based on the schedule and the fact that 72 games were missed—72 games were missed due to injury—and almost never having the same lineup, from my seat, it was obviously a rebuilding type of year based on what had happened to catapult us into an exciting, incredible year this year.

I wasn’t comfortable with it in the sense that I liked it, but I was very proud of the team. I never shared that sort of pathetic—the attack mode of people thinking they know better and things of that nature. I never understood or appreciated that at all.

I just think that Azurá made that decision to go to Connecticut. She told us, she told her teammates that 'I want a guaranteed national championship.' That became something more important than a Duke education. It was really sad.

Angela never did—we thought she might—she never did buy in academically. She never did the work academically, and I think she would have done better basketball-wise if she hadn’t torn up that ankle in the N.C. State game, because that cost her in a lot of ways.

Obviously a terrific player, no doubt, but wrong fit, and me and my staff were completely responsible for that, and I think she set a tone of—although she was a talented player—she set a tone of not doing the team things. The best example I can give you is until the day she left here, she could never do a drill right and get into the end of the line without running through the drill—a simple concept like that, she never got it.

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2016, 11:46 AM
The Chronicle has published a Q&A with Coach P (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/qa-duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-discusses-hr-evaluation-recent-high-profile-departures). Here are some excerpts:
That's an odd interview...is Coach P preaching some revisionist history? I don't understand her comments about transfers, both coming and going.

JPM: If you’re looking at us, we’re one of the lowest transfer rates of any program out there. I wrote them all down. We’ve got two players in nine years that have transferred and played at Duke. I’m not talking about somebody who sat on the bench. Alexis Jones, who is very good, got injured and went home. We miss her greatly, always will, always have, just like Azurá. That’s a pretty astounding thing.
As players transferring out has been a frequent topic of discussion on this board, I find this statement really strange. It needs the Snopes microscope. I'm pretty sure there have been more than 2..so what she is saying is that there were only 2 of value, the others were bench warming peons in her opinion.

JPM: People then say, ‘Why do you take a transfer, Joanne?’ I’m still going to tell you that transfer is a bad word, but here’s where the difference was. And I think there is a difference. Lexie called me, and I told her I don’t like taking transfers. Have you seen me take any transfers? This is one in 10 years. She’s an anomaly.
But the interview goes on to talk about Wagner transfer Sofia Roma. Doomed to be another bench warming peon?

NSDukeFan
07-01-2016, 11:48 AM
What was that first rule of holes again?

Owen Meany
07-01-2016, 11:58 AM
I don't believe I have ever said anything negative towards McCallie, so I can not be accused of being out to get her, etc. But I was very surprised by this article. I would expect someone in her situation to at least attempt to show some remorse, admit to mistakes being made, and indicate some self-reflection has taken place. Instead it seems she has chosen to double down on the traits that got her in this position in the first place. She did herself no favors with this interview and I would be livid if I were Dr. White. She managed to get shots in at her critics, former Duke players, all transfers in general other than the 1 special case of her transfer in, Maryland basketball, Geno, etc. etc.

Of course she did take full responsibility for bringing in a player who, according to her, didn't buy in academically and set a tone of not being a team player. She even gave specific examples to trash the player. That took a lot of courage on her part to admit her mistake and say she was very disappointed in herself.

And on the bright side, the investigation did allow McCallie to more clearly define who is for her and who is against her and even actually helped recruiting by allowing Duke to cull away recruits who weren't prepared to come in and join Team McCallie.

I believe that Duke is in a very fortunate position that women's players often choose to come to Duke because of academics, and despite the coach/basketball program. But there becomes a point where some may decide the trade off is no longer worth it. And McCallie has made it clear she has no intention of changing anything.

chrishoke
07-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks for sharing that Q and A Corey. All I can say is wow. The next couple of years of Duke Women's BB are going to be ugly.

aswewere
07-01-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't believe I have ever said anything negative towards McCallie, so I can not be accused of being out to get her, etc. But I was very surprised by this article. I would expect someone in her situation to at least attempt to show some remorse, admit to mistakes being made, and indicate some self-reflection has taken place. Instead it seems she has chosen to double down on the traits that got her in this position in the first place. She did herself no favors with this interview and I would be livid if I were Dr. White. She managed to get shots in at her critics, former Duke players, all transfers in general other than the 1 special case of her transfer in, Maryland basketball, Geno, etc. etc.

Of course she did take full responsibility for bringing in a player who, according to her, didn't buy in academically and set a tone of not being a team player. She even gave specific examples to trash the player. That took a lot of courage on her part to admit her mistake and say she was very disappointed in herself.

And on the bright side, the investigation did allow McCallie to more clearly define who is for her and who is against her and even actually helped recruiting by allowing Duke to cull away recruits who weren't prepared to come in and join Team McCallie.

I believe that Duke is in a very fortunate position that women's players often choose to come to Duke because of academics, and despite the coach/basketball program. But there becomes a point where some may decide the trade off is no longer worth it. And McCallie has made it clear she has no intention of changing anything.

The hole she has dug is deep enough to be her career grave.

aswewere
07-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks for sharing that Q and A Corey. All I can say is wow. The next couple of years of Duke Women's BB are going to be ugly.

Chris, I see enough talent this year to be a very decent top 20 team. Post play will determine
just how good we can be.

OldPhiKap
07-01-2016, 01:11 PM
What was that first rule of holes again?

Lie, Cheat, Repeat?

Oh wait, wrong Holes.

Chris, I see enough talent this year to be a very decent top 20 team. Post play will determine
just how good we can be.

This. And health.

Needless to say, I think the situation has gotten to the point where support is getting harder and harder to find. I think we not only need good results, but confidence that we are headed in the right direction despite a few bumpy years (putting it politely). That's a pretty tall order.

chrishoke
07-01-2016, 02:07 PM
just how good we can be.

You are correct. My "ugly" was focused attributes of the program other than wins and losses.

diablesseblu
07-01-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm astonished that McCallie would make any comment on Angela's academics. Thought that was a huge "no no" for all college employees.

bluedevilsince72
07-01-2016, 02:30 PM
I cant believe what I just read in the Chronicle. P's answers are so revealing as to the type of character P has as a person. Where to begin?

These quotes stuck out to me"

"then I get two more years and I don’t have to deal with difficulty if I don’t want to. I think that is a horrible message…… "

"As a coach, I would have hoped that your team can go through hard times and rise, not go through hard times and quit or go through hard times and transfer. That is not the message I feel that anyone wants sent."

Didn't someone VERY close to P transfer ?

Also, did anyone else find her comments about Angela's academics and suggesting she wasn't smart because she couldn't pick up basic concepts in drills to be HIGHLY inappropriate?????!?!?!?!?

Time to get rid of this clown once and for all. What an embarrassment to the Duke community to have a coach behave in this manner.

budwom
07-01-2016, 02:37 PM
^ regrettably, that ship has sailed.

MCFinARL
07-01-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm astonished that McCallie would make any comment on Angela's academics. Thought that was a huge "no no" for all college employees.

Technically, this may not have been a FERPA violation, because she reports that Salvadores "didn't want to do" the work and "didn't do" the work, but she doesn't reveal her grades or any specific information on her academic record.

But geez, yes, it seems really, really inappropriate--the more so because of the whiff of sour grapes it comes with.

bluedevilsince72
07-01-2016, 02:50 PM
I would LOVE to hear from Angela or her parents about P's comments regarding her academic work. I think this article is just going to cause more and more problems for P and Duke.

sagegrouse
07-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Technically, this may not have been a FERPA violation, because she reports that Salvadores "didn't want to do" the work and "didn't do" the work, but she doesn't reveal her grades or any specific information on her academic record.

But geez, yes, it seems really, really inappropriate--the more so because of the whiff of sour grapes it comes with.

Do U.S. privacy protection laws extend to foreign nationals no longer in the country? Just asking.... anyway, regrettable.

jtelander
07-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Didn't someone VERY close to P transfer ?

Yep

http://www.elonpendulum.com/article/2014/11/mccallie-adjusts-sitting-transfer-year/

DU82
07-01-2016, 03:17 PM
I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, and viewed the opposition to her by some from the day she was hired as sour grapes, and she wasn't Coach G. But she just doesn't get it. She can't even get her rants straight. She doesn't count bench warmers as transfers, it seems, but ignores at least one starter who left (Sierra Calhoun.)

I was on the fence about re-upping my women's season ticket, which I've had since 1999 (and attended games back at least to the team's first ACC tourney victory), but I think this clinches it for me. I won't be in Cameron if she is.

Newton_14
07-01-2016, 03:23 PM
I have tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, and viewed the opposition to her by some from the day she was hired as sour grapes, and she wasn't Coach G. But she just doesn't get it. She can't even get her rants straight. She doesn't count bench warmers as transfers, it seems, but ignores at least one starter who left (Sierra Calhoun.)

I was on the fence about re-upping my women's season ticket, which I've had since 1999 (and attended games back at least to the team's first ACC tourney victory), but I think this clinches it for me. I won't be in Cameron if she is.

My honest opinion...would be don't bail on the players because of their coach. They are still Duke players and they can't choose their coach.

Just my two cents....

DU82
07-01-2016, 03:32 PM
My honest opinion...would be don't bail on the players because of their coach. They are still Duke players and they can't choose their coach.

Just my two cents...

Yes, I've struggled with that. But I don't know how to send a message otherwise. I did the same thing for the last year of the Fred Goldsmith era, not because of the bad football, but his screw up of the Heather Sue Mercer issue.

(Of course, while I'm typing, an email from the Iron Dukes regarding automatic renewal of dues, which I specifically declined last season. Another f'd up system.)

aswewere
07-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Yes, I've struggled with that. But I don't know how to send a message otherwise. I did the same thing for the last year of the Fred Goldsmith era, not because of the bad football, but his screw up of the Heather Sue Mercer issue.

(Of course, while I'm typing, an email from the Iron Dukes regarding automatic renewal of dues, which I specifically declined last season. Another f'd up system.)

What do they say $$$$$ talk and the rest----------------

diablesseblu
07-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Well, news of the interview is available on another widely read site. It will be fascinating to see the reactions.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/7/1/12082638/duke-mccallie-blasts-auriemma-uconn-ex-players

GGLC
07-01-2016, 04:40 PM
What an awful, revealing interview.

OldPhiKap
07-01-2016, 04:50 PM

Add unprofessional and ill-advised, and then sign my name.

arnie
07-01-2016, 05:09 PM

I don't think I've ever posted re: women's bball- but have read a lot of entertaining posts in the past few years. Our coach appears to be sticking it to Kevin White and Duke; knows she can't be fired without huge buyout and doesn't really care how it all pans out. Probably best for Duke to write the check and send her home.

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Well, news of the interview is available on another widely read site. It will be fascinating to see the reactions.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/7/1/12082638/duke-mccallie-blasts-auriemma-uconn-ex-players

Geno replied. Perfectly.

"Do you know how hard it is to coach at Duke?" Auriemma said facetiously. "It's really challenging. It's an impossible job. She's tried so hard to get to a Final Four with all the disadvantages there. So I suggest she try a little harder and let us try to be respectable."
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-duke-coach-blasts-geno-0702-20160701-story.html

PS...Azura's point of view.
"It's all about my player development," Stevens said. "Just getting the most out of the four years that I had and didn't see that happening at Duke, personally for myself. It might be a great program for other students and players but it wasn't what I was looking for."

jimsumner
07-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Hey, Timothy Mozgov could buy her out with petty cash.

Tommac
07-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Yep

http://www.elonpendulum.com/article/2014/11/mccallie-adjusts-sitting-transfer-year/

Thanks for the info. I live in the town of Elon and I had not heard about this transfer, though I don't follow Elon women's basketball very much. Elon women's basketball biggest claim to fame was having Kay Yow as coach in the 70's before she left for NC State.

DoubleDuke Dad
07-01-2016, 07:00 PM
She totally lost it. I was waiting for her to start talking about the strawberries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlV3oQ3pLA0

brevity
07-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Elon women's basketball biggest claim to fame was having Kay Yow as coach in the 70's before she left for NC State.

Kay Yow still may be, but note the name of Elon's current coach in the above linked article: Charlotte Smith. The same Charlotte Smith that won the 1994 national championship (asterisk?) for UNC with a buzzer beating 3. That team also had a freshman guard named Marion Jones who later put her UNC education to good use. I believe she double majored in Chemistry and Obfuscation.

NSDukeFan
07-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Obfuscation is a required course for all degree programs isn't it?

brevity
07-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Obfuscation is a required course for all degree programs isn't it?

No, but UNC gets away with it because they make Obfuscation available to all students, not just scholarship athletes.

NSDukeFan
07-01-2016, 07:12 PM
No, but UNC gets away with it because they make Obfuscation available to all students, not just scholarship athletes.

Or at least enough other students to plausibly say that it is not preferential.

bluedevilsince72
07-01-2016, 07:17 PM
I would suggest that any Duke fans take a look at the article written about McCallie's most recent comments about last season, transfers, Angela Salvadores' lack of intelligence, Azura Stevens, and other unprofessional responses. (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/07/qa-duke-womens-basketball-head-coach-joanne-mccallie-discusses-hr-evaluation-recent-high-profile-departures)

Am I the only person that finds her comments appalling, unprofessional, and lacking any class?

1 - P shared personal conversation with a player's parents and commenting that winning a Gold medal was somehow a negative thing? Maybe she realized how poorly she was being coached by McCallie at Duke while playing USA bball. She came back a "different person" somehow inferring she was a negative player to the team. Do we really believe that Stevens said "I want a guaranteed national championship" ? Ridiculous. And to top it off that all Stevens cares about is winning games and not an education?

2 - P saying Duke has one of the lowest transfer rates??? And we should believe this because "she wrote it down". Moore, Calhoun, Jones, Stevens - 3 Starters and all acc players, plus 1 potential starter. Those are just off the top of my head. Im sure there are more transfers.

3 - Her comments about transfers - "then I get two more years and I don’t have to deal with difficulty if I don’t want to. I think that is a horrible message…...As a coach, I would have hoped that your team can go through hard times and rise, not go through hard times and quit or go through hard times and transfer. That is not the message I feel that anyone wants sent." I guess this applies to her own family members?

4 - The passive aggressive comments about UConn when Duke has taken transfers just like everyone else the past few years. Cant wait to hear Geno's response.

5 - The amazingly classless comments about Salvadores not being a serious student and saying she wasn't a team player at all. And then suggests that Salvadores was unintelligent because she couldn't pick up basic drills. Maybe its the fact that English was her 2nd language and your practice drills are horribly taught. Maybe look in the mirror and see how you could convey your coaching points more clearly?

6 - She in now way shape or form agreed with the investigation? "and it was difficult and not something I agreed with in any way, shape or form—no matter how difficult it was,"

This year is going to be one for the books with all of this hanging over the program. I hope it doesn't become a national embarrassment that I think it will become. I feel for the current players.

jimsumner
07-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Already under discussion in older thread.

Maybe the mods can merge.

dukelifer
07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Her boss apparently does. In the end the fans have a choice to support her and the team or not- at least for a couple more years.

bluedevilsince72
07-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I feel like her most recent comments need a separate thread. I feel like any comments within the other thread will be lost.

bluedevilsince72
07-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Her boss apparently does. In the end the fans have a choice to support her and the team or not- at least for a couple more years.

It would be interesting to know if White had a comment on P's most recent interview. I don't suspect that he is happy about it.

Newton_14
07-01-2016, 11:14 PM

I fully understand, and hey, on the bright side, at least you did not "flame me" in the rep system for my post suggesting we should not bail on the players due to the coach. Man, people are a straight up trip in this Country anymore. It's become "think exactly like them or else".

It's a rock and a hard place on how to send the message without harming the players. I get that. Maybe call into her coaches show, or better yet show up in person for he coaches shows at the Washington Duke every week to voice our displeasure in person. If it's done properly without cursing, threatening, or making a scene, I would think it could be done without being thrown out or not allowed to come back each week. Send her emails weekly voicing the displeasure, etc.... Just thinking out loud here....It's a conundrum and will remain that way until her contract runs out and they show her the door. She obviously does not get it, and isn't going to change. There is arrogance and then there is her... on levels I'm not sure I've seen before.

diablesseblu
07-01-2016, 11:24 PM
I fully understand, and hey, on the bright side, at least you did not "flame me" in the rep system for my post suggesting we should not bail on the players due to the coach. Man, people are a straight up trip in this Country anymore. It's become "think exactly like them or else".

It's a rock and a hard place on how to send the message without harming the players. I get that. Maybe call into her coaches show, or better yet show up in person for he coaches shows at the Washington Duke every week to voice our displeasure in person. If it's done properly without cursing, threatening, or making a scene, I would think it could be done without being thrown out or not allowed to come back each week. Send her emails weekly voicing the displeasure, etc... Just thinking out loud here...It's a conundrum and will remain that way until her contract runs out and they show her the door. She obviously does not get it, and isn't going to change. There is arrogance and then there is her... on levels I'm not sure I've seen before.

McCallie's "coach show" is from the Tobacco Road House, and it's very "scripted.". Simply said, it's not a truly open forum for a discussion of all things Duke WBB. Quite frankly, I've given up re: the idea of anyone's input being truly "heard."

sagegrouse
07-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Anyway, from Hank Tucker's interview for the Chronicle:

The Chronicle: What was your biggest takeaway—what impacted you most from the whole situation [the investigation]?

JPM: No matter how difficult it was—and it was difficult and not something I agreed with in any way, shape or form—no matter how difficult it was, it always came back to the players. I could have bad days and good days, but the days were always made better by some sort of interaction with the players—players checking in, players texting, some kind of player connection, as well as with my staff.

I think it was very difficult for my staff, but I think it grew the staff closer, and it was very engaging. We made it very engaging, and we tried to make the best of it, whatever we could do to make that happen.

I am sure Dr. Kevin White is amused by the boldfaced phrase. IIRC (and there is always a first time) the investigation was triggered by complaints of abuse to Duke HR. HR went to the AD or his rep, and an investigation occurred, which -- while not exculpatory -- did not remove Coach McCallie from her job. It became public through leaks to the N&O's Laura Keeley (also, ex-Chronicle). As a result, a general statement of the results of the investigation were released to the public. Lots of steps covered by "not something I agreed with in any way, shape, or form:" the initial complaint, the report to the AD from Duke HR, the decision to conduct an investigation, the results of the investigation, any (unpublished) discipline or proposed improvements resulting from the investigatory report, the leak to the N&O, and (not included above) the opposition to K from former players and at least one current player (the "85 to 90 percent" support).

How easy would it be to say? "It was a painful period personally and professionally, but I have learned from this experience and will be a better coach and leader this season and in the future." Heck, Coach P. has to have an agent -- didn't he or she write out pretty much the above statement for Coach P. to use as soon as the issue was settled? Why doesn't she use it? These personal flaws don't make McCallie a bad basketball coach (see Robert Montgomery Knight) but, oh my!

Newton_14
07-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Kay Yow still may be, but note the name of Elon's current coach in the above linked article: Charlotte Smith. The same Charlotte Smith that won the 1994 national championship (asterisk?) for UNC with a buzzer beating 3. That team also had a freshman guard named Marion Jones who later put her UNC education to good use. I believe she double majored in Chemistry and Obfuscation.

You mean the buzzer not beating double pump set her feet three with .3 seconds left that counted because the person working the scoreboard waited for Smith to release the ball before even starting the clock? So uncheat has yet another National Title that was not won fairly? That 3? That player now coach? Gotcha! Sorry to extend the thread hijack but this is worth discussing. I believe it was that infamous play that led to the rule change whereby if there is .3 seconds or less left on the clock, a jumpshot is not legal, only tip ins...

Now back to the Coach P hatefest. carry on..:cool:

Newton_14
07-01-2016, 11:51 PM

I am sure Dr. Kevin White is amused by the boldfaced phrase. IIRC (and there is always a first time) the investigation was triggered by complaints of abuse to Duke HR. HR went to the AD or his rep, and an investigation occurred, which -- while not exculpatory -- did not remove Coach McCallie from her job. It became public through leaks to the N&O's Laura Keeley (also, ex-Chronicle). As a result, a general statement of the results of the investigation were released to the public. Lots of steps covered by "not something I agreed with in any way, shape, or form:" the initial complaint, the report to the AD from Duke HR, the decision to conduct an investigation, the results of the investigation, any (unpublished) discipline or proposed improvements resulting from the investigatory report, the leak to the N&O, and (not included above) the opposition to K from former players and at least one current player (the "85 to 90 percent" support).

How easy would it be to say? "It was a painful period personally and professionally, but I have learned from this experience and will be a better coach and leader this season and in the future." Heck, Coach P. has to have an agent -- didn't he or she write out pretty much the above statement for Coach P. to use as soon as the issue was settled? Why doesn't she use it? These personal flaws don't make McCallie a bad basketball coach (see Robert Montgomery Knight) but, oh my!
Wow. Just wow. An I fully agree with you Sage on what should have been said. In my view it's like the old adage about an alcoholic, "the first step in getting help is to admit one has a problem". She, in every word spoken publically since the investigation, has made it crystal clear she does not recognize she has a problem. She thinks every move she makes is perfect, every play drawn up, every defensive scheme drawn up, how she treats her players, how she treats her staff, every practice she runs, and every game she coaches is 100% spot on, perfect. So when there is a game lost, then surely it is the fault of the players, and/or her assistants. Could not possibly be her fault, because in her mind she is perfect.

There is no changing a person like that or helping a person like that. Not possible. Money be damned, she should have been shown the door by Mr. White. A darn shame for the program that did not happen.

Mike Corey
07-02-2016, 01:05 AM
It is long past time for Coach P to leave the University. I am embarrassed as an alum that our coach is besmirching a former player's smarts, besmirching a former player's priorities, and calling those who dare critique her management of the program as "pathetic."

Our players, our students all deserve better than what Coach P brings to the table with her words and actions. Because I support the young women in our basketball program, I can only beseech our university's powers at be to reconsider their position and remove this coach from her role.

Wins and losses be damned. This is not the kind of teacher or role model our students deserve.

gep
07-02-2016, 02:28 AM
Maybe Coach P thinks that now that she's got 2 years, she can air her gripes. But, what can be done with "firing" her now... I would think paying out her contract as a minimum, but if that's it, I think she's asking for it. Maybe that's her plan. Get out of Duke with a boatload of money and not have to deal with this stuff anymore... so sad.

johnb
07-02-2016, 08:34 AM
The Chronicle article is one of the saddest reflections on Duke I've ever seen. The coach was even able to work in a diss of the college reporter who was speaking to her, which is impressively misguided, but all the snarky comments about her former players is unacceptable.

jv001
07-02-2016, 08:53 AM

I agree Bobby Knight wasn't a good person when it came to coaching/leading his team, but he was a great basketball coach for a long time. Coach P is not in his class when it comes to basketball knowledge. GoDuke!

AustinDevil
07-02-2016, 09:20 AM
^ regrettably, that ship has sailed.
An investigation may end, but evaluations of work performance are and must be continually on-going, especially for high-profile, high-compensation roles. I'm not saying definitively that this interview puts McCallie at that point--it's probably not even close, because of the downside to Duke involved in airing of McCallie's laundry--but there is a point where her post-investigation behavior is such that Duke would fire her for cause and let her decide whether a suit to collect is worth what would be revealed about her in discovery and trial.

Flippantly dissing a player's approach to academics is an insane topic for a coach to choose to talk to the media about.

CameronBornAndBred
07-02-2016, 09:26 AM
I'm not saying definitively that this interview puts McCallie at that point--it's probably not even close, because of the downside to Duke involved in airing of McCallie's laundry--but there is a point where her post-investigation behavior is such that Duke would fire her for cause and let her decide whether a suit to collect is worth what would be revealed about her in discovery and trial.
There is no way for us to know, of course, but I would be surprised if McCallie wasn't offered the opportunity to resign and she turned it down. If that were the case, then the likelihood of her having an interest in salvaging her career over her pride is greatly reduced. She would take the lawsuit, reputation be damned.

diablesseblu
07-02-2016, 09:40 AM
There is no way for us to know, of course, but I would be surprised if McCallie wasn't offered the opportunity to resign and she turned it down. If that were the case, then the likelihood of her having an interest in salvaging her career over her pride is greatly reduced. She would take the lawsuit, reputation be damned.

No matter what has happened re: McCallie's tenure/future, the comments in this interview are simply unfathomable. I was a university administrator for years, and would have been canned in a NY minute for an egregious misstep like this one.

I agree CBB that McCallie may not care about her long term career. After this interview, how could the parents of a recruit trust her? And, given that her own daughter plays college bball, where is her empathy for players and their families?

AustinDevil
07-02-2016, 10:04 AM
No matter what has happened re: McCallie's tenure/future, the comments in this interview are simply unfathomable. I was a university administrator for years, and would have been canned in a NY minute for an egregious misstep like this one.

I agree CBB that McCallie may not care about her long term career. After this interview, how could the parents of a recruit trust her? And, given that her own daughter plays college bball, where is her empathy for players and their families?

And following that thought forward, the decision for Duke as to whether the less bad option is to fire her (and pay her) or keep her (and pay her) just tilted much further toward fire her (and pay her).

Class of '94
07-02-2016, 10:17 AM

I couldn't agree with your post more. As a Duke alum as well as a supporter and fan of all Blue Devils sports, I want the best for all the players, coaches (for the most part), and the programs. I admit that I was one of those people that hated to see Coach G leave Duke; but believe it or not, I honestly supported and welcomed Coach P into the Duke family. I appreciated her excitement and genuineness for wanting to be at Duke and be the Head Coach of DWBB; something, I felt Coach G lost (most likely due to her relationship with AD Alleva, and the alleged lack of respect he had for her accomplishments). I wanted Coach P to succeed and believed she had the ability to take us to the the promise land of a NC. While I saw some things that concerned me in regards to her coaching style and principles, I fully supported her and her players. I never stopped wanting the best for Coach P. However, over the last several years, my concerns and doubts about McCallie's ability to lead the DWBB program grew. With that being said, I still supported McCallie and DWBB program and wanted them to succeed. I was firmly on the fence in regards to the HC; and I could see both sides of the argument for or against Coach McCallie.

Everything changed for me when Azura and Angela chose to leave Duke. For me, it was a sign that something was terribly wrong within the program; and then we had the announcement that an investigation/review was being conducted by Duke HR into the DWBB program and McCallie. As a result, I came off the fence and firmly landed on the side that believes McCallie needed to step down or be relieved of her duties as the HC. While I admit that I was disappointed that the investigation didn't find enough evidence to support a dismissal of McCallie, I hoped something good would come out of this; and both coach and program would be better because of it. However, in my heart and after watching years of negative patterns with McCallie, I didn't think she would change or grow,despite what she had said after it was announced that she would be remain the HC.

For me, her interview with the Chronicle has confirmed my worst thoughts in that McCallie is going to continue to be the same person and HC that brought the program to this point. Her interview was appalling and insulting; and I can't see that helping the program or the university from an image standpoint to recruits. As many posters have noted, rather than being contrite and showing humility, she has shown a level of arrogance, contempt and disdain for anyone not on her side that astounds me. It leads me to wonder if she knows her career at Duke is over in 2 years, and she doesn't care what she says or does, and how it reflects on the university and the program. By showing defiance and acting like she has done nothing wrong, I wonder if she is trying to protect her ability to get another HC job as well as force Duke to pay her the remaining amount of her contract in-full sooner rather than later. I am not so sure she wants to coach the remaining 2 years as a lame duck coach.

At this point, i am very concerned about the environment for the current and future players as well as the future of the program. Again, I don't want this to happen; but i am concerned that McCallie could take the program down so low that it will be hard for the program to get back to where it was; and that no good coach will want to take over the program after McCallie leaves. Is it truly better financially for the AD and the university to let McCallie ride out these 2 years and see the program go into shambles than to buyout the remaining 2 years of McCallie contract; and move on? I think it sends a bad message that the Athletic Department and university care more about the money than the well being of the players and the direction of the program. In the end, the program could lose alot of money from dwindling fan support and negative press than just paying McCallie to leave.

jimsumner
07-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Going into the summer, the only way I could see this ending well would have been for a chastened McCallie to seriously try to make some changes in how she runs her program and how she relates to that program's many stakeholders.

The Chronicle interview makes it quite clear that is not going to happen.

And it was a sliver of hope, at best. She's 50 years old for crying out loud. I'm not a trained psychologist and it's been a long time since I've stayed in a Holiday Inn.

But there's a reason why we all know the sayings about leopards and spots, old dogs and new tricks, scorpions on logs in floods.

People just don't make those kinds of changes at that point in their lives very often.

I think it's clear she's decided to dig in her heels and wait it out.

diablesseblu
07-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Going into the summer, the only way I could see this ending well would have been for a chastened McCallie to seriously try to make some changes in how she runs her program and how she relates to that program's many stakeholders.

The Chronicle interview makes it quite clear that is not going to happen.

And it was a sliver of hope, at best. She's 50 years old for crying out loud. I'm not a trained psychologist and it's been a long time since I've stayed in a Holiday Inn.

But there's a reason why we all know the sayings about leopards and spots, old dogs and new tricks, scorpions on logs in floods.

People just don't make those kinds of changes at that point in their lives very often.

I think it's clear she's decided to dig in her heels and wait it out.

Completely agree with you, Jim. That said, I am befuddled by McCallie's, who is apparently the family's "breadwinner", approaching her job in this manner. When she eventually leaves Duke, it seems she's rapidly closing off other employment options for herself.

sue71, esq
07-02-2016, 02:48 PM
How easy would it be to say? "It was a painful period personally and professionally, but I have learned from this experience and will be a better coach and leader this season and in the future."

Wow. Just wow. An I fully agree with you Sage on what should have been said. In my view it's like the old adage about an alcoholic, "the first step in getting help is to admit one has a problem". She, in every word spoken publically since the investigation, has made it crystal clear she does not recognize she has a problem. She thinks every move she makes is perfect

These were my two biggest takeaways when I read the article (except for the alcoholic part... sorry Newton_14). You can think one thing, but EDIT what comes out of your mouth. But oh, that would take acknowledging there's a problem in the first place. Hmmm.

And NEVER, EVER publicly speak ill of a current or former player, be it reasons for transferring, academics, or... anything. I just keep thinking that the more she opens her mouth, the closer she is to being fired and not receiving a buyout.

Ima Facultiwyfe
07-02-2016, 04:11 PM
This can't be fixed. No matter who is at fault, JPM needs a fresh start someplace else and Duke WBB needs a grownup at the helm.
Love, Ima

brevity
07-02-2016, 04:35 PM
When she eventually leaves Duke, it seems she's rapidly closing off other employment options for herself.

She won't be able to write her own ticket, but if she wants to keep coaching at the collegiate level, there will be multiple opportunities -- certainly some at low-major and mid-major programs, and maybe a down program or two in a power conference. There just aren't many head coaching candidates out there who have reached a national championship game, even if it was at Michigan State 11 years ago.

CameronBornAndBred
07-02-2016, 05:00 PM
She won't be able to write her own ticket, but if she wants to keep coaching at the collegiate level, there will be multiple opportunities -- certainly some at low-major and mid-major programs, and maybe a down program or two in a power conference. There just aren't many head coaching candidates out there who have reached a national championship game, even if it was at Michigan State 11 years ago.
Usually, that would be so true, but she is burning bridges that reach across waters far beyond Duke's campus. Someone invoked Bobby Knight in a previous comment...JPM is no Bobby Knight. She brushed greatness once (ironically at the expense of Duke), and has only sniffed it since save for conference tournaments. (Which I fully enjoyed her victories in, until very recently I've been solidly supporting her.)
As we all know, there is great parity in women's basketball. That goes for the coaches as well as the players. We were blessed with a great coach. I'm not revisiting nor bringing up the "I wish we had G still" thoughts, (In fact, I so loathed the way she walked off the court in her last loss at Duke I wasn't forlorn in seeing her go, but that's a whole different matter...she was obviously not coming back.) but it is pretty clear that the truly special coaches in the women's game are not in the abundance as there is in the men's game. If there were, you would not see Geno win every year.
Like it or not, if Sylvia Hatchell were fired tomorrow from UNC, she'd have a job before next weekend, and she wouldn't need to take a pay cut. She is a very good coach and recruiter. (Also a cheater, but she would be ok at another school that didn't encourage fake classes.) Geno is a very good coach and recruiter, Muffit McGraw is, Pat Summitt was, Kim Mulkey is...and then there is everyone else.
Is there someone else out there to join those ranks? Definitely, but it ain't Coach P. She's a very good recruiter and not a very good coach. So do you take a chance on someone that has proven they can recruit yet doesn't develop talent, or do you truly take a chance on an up and comer and see what happens? I'd easily spend less money on youth and a chance than more money on a storied past littered with investigations, lost fan bases, and transferred players.
I think the "multiple opportunities" you mention won't be that multiple, especially in the eyes of an AD that want's to make his fan base happy. (She'd either be replacing someone that got fired or is moving up, and in both scenarios you want better or at the very least just as good.)

My first vote on the up and comer list would be Joy Cheek...also a proven recruiter. I'd spend more $ on Joy than I would on taking Coach P.

heyman25
07-02-2016, 07:28 PM
When is McCallie's contract up? I just hope Kevin White will not get fooled again. Not sure if there is anything else the Duke Athletic Department can do but run out the clock. I would still like the Duke Women's team to succeed. They deserve success. Greenwell and Brown will be a dynamic backcourt.Odom brings a lot to the table.

Haynes and Planells seem to be dynamic recruiters. Coach Brown does not seem to inspire the centers and forwards.With McCallie if I were White I would monitor her program and not renew.He better insure no lasting damage is done to Women's basketball.

Greenwell's blog.
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210962703&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Doria
07-02-2016, 08:25 PM

And NEVER, EVER publicly speak ill of a current or former player, be it reasons for transferring, academics, or... anything.

Yeah, I've not really wanted to get involved in the debates on her before all this happened (back when the season was still ongoing), mostly because I don't really follow women's basketball, so can't really speak to the matter of her coaching ability. But these comments are terrible. It doesn't matter what industry one is involved in; these kinds of remarks would never be appropriate in a public forum, particularly in this context where she still has active players on a team. This has converted me to the anti-P side of things.

Mike Corey
07-03-2016, 12:04 AM
A quick aside: for all of Coach McCallie's inexplicable criticism of transfers/transferring...her own daughter transferred from Miami (OH) to Elon to continue her college basketball career not too long ago.

jtelander
07-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Former McCallie assistant Samantha Williams (now at Louisville) on twitter

Samantha Williams – ‏@ULCoachSam

Pay attention to coaches that trash players current/former in public forum. Parents, do you trust staff 2 have your kid's back in adversity?

OldPhiKap
07-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Former McCallie assistant Samantha Williams (now at Louisville) on twitter

Not helpful, but unfortunately fully warranted.

Dr. White gave Coach P a life line, she seems intent on giving him the raspberries in return.

Not happy times.

aswewere
07-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Here is the staff directory if you would like to pass on your concern's. I have. http://www.goduke.com/StaffDirectory.dbml?DB_LANG=C&&DB_OEM_ID=4200

CameronBornAndBred
07-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Not helpful in recruiting
Coach P says you're wrong! (How shocking.)

I think it also really helped recruiting in an interesting way. One way is some people chose other schools or whatever, but the reality is the people that we really like and really like us and always have are together and moving forward.

Stubborn AND delusional.

Stray Gator
07-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Call me "old school," but I believe that the three principal obligations of a college coach are (1) to represent the school both on and off the court or field of play in a manner that exhibits the degree of dignity, respect for others, and good sportsmanship that will evoke a sense of pride in everyone associated with the school; (2) to ensure that the student-athletes in his or her charge are provided the best possible guidance to realize their potential not only as individual and team players, but as responsible adults; and (3) to develop a team that performs up to its potential while playing by the rules and within the bounds of proper behavior.

I don't profess to have knowledge of everything that has transpired within the Duke women's basketball program. But based on my observations over the course of her tenure at Duke -- and I think it's fair to say that I follow the women's program more closely than most of my fellow alumni -- I do not believe at this point that Coach McCallie is a good representative of Duke University; nor do I believe that she sets a good example in her professional conduct; nor do I believe that she is producing the kind of results on the court that those supporting the program could reasonably expect. These conclusions have nothing to do with my sentiments about any former coach, or my desires regarding any future coach; my opinions are based solely on McCallie's performance as a coach since she arrived at Duke.

Speaking only for myself, it seems abundantly clear now that she is not a good fit for Duke. That almost certainly doesn't matter to Kevin White or to Coach McCallie. But when I believe someone has become an embarrassment to the Duke community, it matters enough to me to merit comment. Other posters earlier suggested that they perceived a dilemma because it is difficult to reconcile a protest against the retention of Coach McCallie with the desire to support the players. In my view, there is no conflict or dilemma, because I believe that ultimately the best way to support Duke student-athletes is to work towards securing them the quality of leadership they deserve.

GGLC
07-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Extremely well said.

OldPhiKap
07-03-2016, 10:38 PM
Call me "old school," but I believe that the three principal obligations of a college coach are (1) to represent the school both on and off the court or field of play in a manner that exhibits the degree of dignity, respect for others, and good sportsmanship that will evoke a sense of pride in everyone associated with the school; (2) to ensure that the student-athletes in his or her charge are provided the best possible guidance to realize their potential not only as individual and team players, but as responsible adults; and (3) to develop a team that performs up to its potential while playing by the rules and within the bounds of proper behavior.

I don't profess to have knowledge of everything that has transpired within the Duke women's basketball program. But based on my observations over the course of her tenure at Duke -- and I think it's fair to say that I follow the women's program more closely than most of my fellow alumni -- I do not believe at this point that Coach McCallie is a good representative of Duke University; nor do I believe that she sets a good example in her professional conduct; nor do I believe that she is producing the kind of results on the court that those supporting the program could reasonably expect. These conclusions have nothing to do with my sentiments about any former coach, or my desires regarding any future coach; my opinions are based solely on McCallie's performance as a coach since she arrived at Duke.

Speaking only for myself, it seems abundantly clear now that she is not a good fit for Duke. That almost certainly doesn't matter to Kevin White or to Coach McCallie. But when I believe someone has become an embarrassment to the Duke community, it matters enough to me to merit comment. Other posters earlier suggested that they perceived a dilemma because it is difficult to reconcile a protest against the retention of Coach McCallie with the desire to support the players. In my view, there is no conflict or dilemma, because I believe that ultimately the best way to support Duke student-athletes is to work towards securing them the quality of leadership they deserve.

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Stray Gator again."

Shame. Spot on.

gep
07-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Something I remember from years way, way back... Appropriate?

OldPhiKap
07-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Appropriate?

Certainly apt.

moonpie23
07-03-2016, 11:09 PM

sporkz

dyedwab
07-03-2016, 11:26 PM
It is long past time for Coach P to leave the University. I am embarrassed as an alum that our coach is besmirching a former player's smarts, besmirching a former player's priorities, and calling those who dare critique her management of the program as "pathetic."

Our players, our students all deserve better than what Coach P brings to the table with her words and actions. Because I support the young women in our basketball program, I can only beseech our university's powers at be to reconsider their position and remove this coach from her role.

Wins and losses be damned. This is not the kind of teacher or role model our students deserve.

Unfortunately, I agree with everything said here. As an alum, my wishes/hopes for Duke is that everything it does, it does as well as it can possibly be done. That may not always be possible, but given who the Duke community is, it's something we can always strive for and succeed at more often than not. This interview illustrates that that is not happening with our women's basketball program. It is an embarrassment.

gep
07-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, I agree with everything said here. As an alum, my wishes/hopes for Duke is that everything it does, it does as well as it can possibly be done. That may not always be possible, but given who the Duke community is, it's something we can always strive for and succeed at more often than not. This interview illustrates that that is not happening with our women's basketball program. It is an embarrassment.

I was wondering... this interview was in the Chronicle, right? Has it hit the national media yet?

CameronBornAndBred
07-04-2016, 01:00 AM
I was wondering... this interview was in the Chronicle, right? Has it hit the national media yet?
Yes and they ate it up in Storrs.

MChambers
07-04-2016, 07:08 AM

Shame. Spot on.

covered you.

johnb
07-04-2016, 06:49 PM

+++1

kcduke75
07-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Call me "old school," but . . .

If I was articulate, I would have said this. You speak for many alumni and fans I believe.

Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Dukehky
07-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Relative Coach P apologist here. That interview was one of the most embarrassing things I have ever read. Duke has PR people, how in the holy hell did they not vet her before that interview. She needed to be humble and contrite in that, not combative and argumentative. It was appalling. If that is not indicative of how she runs the program, then nothing is.

Sad.

heyman25
07-05-2016, 04:16 AM
+++1
I have followed Duke Women's Hoops from the late 80's.I live in LA and saw the Alana Beard Lindsay Harding team play USC at Galen Arena. The LA Sparks currently have Beard and Chelsea Gray on their roster. Candace Parker and Nneka Ogwumike are the stars.
In any event the atmosphere of the fans and teams was so much better in the Coach G years. McCallie recruits very well. If Angela Salvadores had stayed she would have been one of the greats. Needless to say the offensive schemes were very simplistic so there were times Anglea turned the ball over because there seemed to be zero plays that were run. Duke won games because of talent not coaching. Azura Stevens played with USA Basketball and realized she was getting really weak coaching.I really don't blame her for wanting to play at UCONN . They have great ball movement and they execute. I root against them, but during McCallie's era we lose by 30 or 40 every time to Coach Auriemma. The Coach likes to throw her team under the bus.

Coach K knows the names of the other team's players that he complements.Coach McCallie in her press conferences will mention opponent individuals by their number. It is a really obnoxious habit.Many readers here have turned on her finally. I love Kevin White as an AD, but he was probably too busy with the new success of Football ,the Lacrosse National Championships, Men's basketball National Championship and decided Women's Basketball was in capable hands. Thus he gave that extension to McCallie. As a Duke Alum, I want the Duke Athletic Department to give Women's hoops more attention. I just don't want Duke to lose money if her contract is broken.There may be more TV Money, but I do not want it wasted on McCallie.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-05-2016, 08:24 AM
...but I do not want it wasted on McCallie.
It would seem that the money will be wasted no matter what. So, cutting her loose has the positive effect of moving forward rather than letting this embarrassment continue for 2 more years and dragging the program further into the muck.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-05-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't know if I am adding much new here, but I want to add to the list of people who say that she must go. Those were some of the most tone deaf comments I have ever read, particularly in light of the fact that she had just emerged from an investigation into her behavior. She has had enough exposure to the media to know what you can and can't say in an interview, and that was way over the lines. I don't know if she was taking the writer less seriously because it was a student journalist, but she really put her foot in her mouth. Given the recent investigation and comments like that, as a parent I would have a very hard time sending my child to play for her.

She is making a considerable amount of money but I'm sure the athletic department can find a way to absorb it - if GA Tech can manage Hewitt's albatross of a contract, than we can absorb a few more years of this one. Or, if necessary, scale back some of the renovations being done to free up some money. This is embarrassing to the women's basketball team, the athletic department and the university as a whole.

bob blue devil
07-05-2016, 09:33 AM
just a quick point - many here are treating her contract as a reason not to part ways. consider a different angle - assuming duke cannot wiggle out of the contract, it is a sunk cost. duke keeps her or not, that money is spent. so the real choice is, does duke benefit by spending more for a new coach vs. not spending more and having her? a new coach could be a near $0 interim type person - basically, the implication would be no coach is better than the damage being done by her. while i don't follow women's hoops all that closely and am reluctant to voice a strong opinion, my suspicion is that having her in a leadership position (and thereby apparently reflecting poorly on the university) is a cost to the university before we even consider her compensation. i'm a proud member of the duke community and have a no tolerance for the university's most public leaders not exhibiting strong character.

msdukie
07-05-2016, 07:53 PM
For the record, there are THREE more years left on her contract.

diablesseblu
07-05-2016, 08:28 PM
For the record, there are THREE more years left on her contract.

Why do I think it's going to seem longer than that? :(

dukelifer
07-06-2016, 07:54 AM

I don't expect her to ride it out. She will likely look elsewhere after this season or next. I think she knows her days at Duke are numbered unless she delivers at least an ACC championship or Final 4.

Pghdukie
07-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Federal Labor Laws have an impact here. Obviously, I have not seen the contract, but would think Duke will react within the boundaries of the Law

diablesseblu
07-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Federal Labor Laws have an impact here. Obviously, I have not seen the contract, but would think Duke will react within the boundaries of the Law

Am not sure what you mean here. My comment about McCallie's remaining tenure is that, in view of Kevin White's decision, I expect her to fulfill the existing three years remaining on her contract.

Re: my comment....given her history, I cringe for her players and Duke pretty much whenever McCallie speaks to the media. That alone will make the length of her stay at Duke seem longer to me than the actual days.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Am not sure what you mean here. My comment about McCallie's remaining tenure is that, in view of Kevin White's decision, I expect her to fulfill the existing three years remaining on her contract.

Re: my comment...given her history, I cringe for her players and Duke pretty much whenever McCallie speaks to the media. That alone will make the length of her stay at Duke seem longer to me than the actual days.
As the year(s) go by, it will be cheaper to fire her. Short of an amazing post run season, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen at the end of the coming year. As others have noted, she's not one to change her habits, so she is likely to make many people cringe with her off the cuff post game comments this year. Maybe they'll win so many that she doesn't get to say stupid things so often. I hope so.
She's preached how this class will be a contender, and she's right...they should be. For her sake, they better be.

53n206
07-06-2016, 11:52 AM
It seems that there are several references to keeping the coach if she wins more games. Is this the proper attitude? Surely we want a winning team, but we also want the coach of the team to represent the University in the proper way, and to treat the players in the manner that their family and they expect. Wins yes, but that is not the most important thing. The student athletes have made a decision to come to Duke and we must make every effort to have their time here to be beneficial for them in every way

GGLC
07-06-2016, 12:05 PM
It seems that there are several references to keeping the coach if she wins more games. Is this the proper attitude? Surely we want a winning team, but we also want the coach of the team to represent the University in the proper way, and to treat the players in the manner that their family and they expect. Wins yes, but that is not the most important thing. The student athletes have made a decision to come to Duke and we must make every effort to have their time here to be beneficial for them in every way

Agreed. I don't want her representing Duke women's basketball even if we were to somehow win a title next year.

Doria
07-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Agreed. I don't want her representing Duke women's basketball even if we were to somehow win a title next year.

Totally agree. The problem here isn't the team routinely underperforming with regard to talent level. I don't care what they win (apart from caring about the players, other staff, etc.); a title or absence of one would not, at all, affect my opinion of her now as a coach, a representative of Duke, and as a person.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2016, 12:32 PM

Totally agree. The problem here isn't the team routinely underperforming with regard to talent level. I don't care what they win (apart from caring about the players, other staff, etc.); a title or absence of one would not, at all, affect my opinion of her now as a coach, a representative of Duke, and as a person.

I think you'd find that would be the prevailing attitude among fans, but seeing as how the administration had a chance and didn't pull the trigger, I don't think they have the same attitude. If she wins big, she'll stay. As I stated earlier though, for her sake, she now has to, I think.
Also, if she does, those victories won't be near as sweet as they deserve to be. (But I will celebrate the players that earned them.)

CrazyNotCrazie
07-06-2016, 02:00 PM
I think you'd find that would be the prevailing attitude among fans, but seeing as how the administration had a chance and didn't pull the trigger, I don't think they have the same attitude. If she wins big, she'll stay. As I stated earlier though, for her sake, she now has to, I think.
Also, if she does, those victories won't be near as sweet as they deserve to be. (But I will celebrate the players that earned them.)

I will defer to other posters with legal knowledge but I'm guessing that if the administration had turned up something during the investigation, they might have been able to fire her for cause and freed themselves from some or all future financial obligations. Now that the investigation is officially over with no announced finding of wrong-doing, it would be hard to dismiss her without having to pay. The quotes in the interview are highly unprofessional and not how any of us want someone representing the university, but they are likely not grounds for immediate dismissal.

It is interesting that this thread about Coach P and the Off-Topic thread about the election and the investigation of Clinton seem to be running in parallel. I would like to follow up with my opinion of Clinton vs. my opinion of Coach P (which are very different) but I think that might put me over the boundaries into PPB world...

DukieInKansas
07-06-2016, 02:47 PM
As the year(s) go by, it will be cheaper to fire her. Short of an amazing post run season, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen at the end of the coming year. As others have noted, she's not one to change her habits, so she is likely to make many people cringe with her off the cuff post game comments this year. Maybe they'll win so many that she doesn't get to say stupid things so often. I hope so.
She's preached how this class will be a contender, and she's right...they should be. For her sake, they better be.

For their sakes, I hope they are as that should give them some joy in the season.

DukieInKansas
07-06-2016, 02:51 PM
I will defer to other posters with legal knowledge but I'm guessing that if the administration had turned up something during the investigation, they might have been able to fire her for cause and freed themselves from some or all future financial obligations. Now that the investigation is officially over with no announced finding of wrong-doing, it would be hard to dismiss her without having to pay. The quotes in the interview are highly unprofessional and not how any of us want someone representing the university, but they are likely not grounds for immediate dismissal.

It is interesting that this thread about Coach P and the Off-Topic thread about the election and the investigation of Clinton seem to be running in parallel. I would like to follow up with my opinion of Clinton vs. my opinion of Coach P (which are very different) but I think that might put me over the boundaries into PPB world...

Definitely, her comments are unworthy of a Duke coach. Is it possible that the investigation, while not turning up anything that was cause for immediate termination, did find areas of concern? One can hope that it did and that she was given some additional guidelines/rules to live by with the stipulation that violating x number of them could cause termination.

Pghdukie
07-06-2016, 04:01 PM
My earlier post was on the lines that if Duke were to get rid of her, Duke would be liable to pay up. Had the investigation found "wrongdoings" Duke dumps her fast. Without paying a penny. But the scenero has played out that she (most likely ) will be entitled to her $$$. I firmly believe she has outstayed her welcome and must go.

Sandman
07-06-2016, 05:36 PM
As a Duke alum who is a long-term member and infrequent poster to DBR, I agree with the overwhelming sentiment that McCallie has to go. Duke should no longer allow her to influence the lives of any of its students, regardless of cost. If her contract does not allow termination, then she should be shunted off to some out-of-the-way office where she does not interact with students. I'm sure we can afford a knowledgeable basketball coach of character to lead the team. McCallie is a cancer on the Duke posterior and a very flawed, unpleasant representative of Duke University.

aswewere
07-06-2016, 06:10 PM
As a Duke alum who is a long-term member and infrequent poster to DBR, I agree with the overwhelming sentiment that McCallie has to go. Duke should no longer allow her to influence the lives of any of its students, regardless of cost. If her contract does not allow termination, then she should be shunted off to some out-of-the-way office where she does not interact with students. I'm sure we can afford a knowledgeable basketball coach of character to lead the team. McCallie is a cancer on the Duke posterior and a very flawed, unpleasant representative of Duke University.

Thank you I send two or three post like yours every day to our administration.