PDA

View Full Version : Quin Snyder given extension at Utah

53n206
05-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Always good to hear that one of our guys is appreciated. Coaching in the pros is a tough business, particularly when you don't have a couple of superstars on the team. But I don't follow the Utah team so perhaps I should not say that they do not have a couple of superstars.

Li_Duke
05-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Always good to hear that one of our guys is appreciated. Coaching in the pros is a tough business, particularly when you don't have a couple of superstars on the team. But I don't follow the Utah team so perhaps I should not say that they do not have a couple of superstars.

While I agree they don't have a superstar, they have a roster full of young intriguing talent. I think their 4 best players: Gobert (aka The Stifle Tower) (age 23), Favors (age 24), Gordon Hayward (age 26), and Rodney Hood (age 23) are all young and on the cusp of developing into all-stars.

Gobert has all defense potential - averaging over 2 blocks and 10 rebounds per game over 2 seasons, which are amazing averages when you consider that he was a reserve for most of last season and was injured for much of this season.
Favors has been a solid presence inside - averaging 16 ppg, 8 rpg, and 1.5 bpg the past 2 season on over 50% shooting. Many thinks he has hit his ceiling as an above average starter, but he's only 24.
Hayward, of Butler fame, is their best player - averaging 20 ppg on efficient shooting and showing his versatility by dishing 4 apg and hitting the boards with 5rpg. He was good enough to make the World Championship team a couple years ago.
Hood, former Duke player, has shown much of the same skills as Hayward and could eventually be just as good.

They also have other intriguing young players in PG Dante Exum (age 20), SG Alec Burks (age 24), and PF Trey Lyles (age 20), who could all be at a similar level as their top 4 as early as next season.

What they have lacked is a good point guard. Trey Burke, Shelvin Mack (another member of the Butler team we beat in 2010), and Neto are all back-up PGs. Exum may develop into a good PG, but he is still so young, and lost all of this past season to injury. What they need is a PG who can defend and consistently make 3s, as Hayward and Hood are good enough to run the offense out of.

They were just 1 game from making the playoffs from the Western Conference this year. With the age of their players and another lottery pick this year, I think we are seeing the beginning of a perennial playoff team, with upside for more if they all stay together and continue to improve.

This team is right there with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Milwaukee Bucks in regards to young potential.

freshmanjs
05-06-2016, 04:04 PM
I think their 4 best players: Gobert (aka The Stifle Tower) (age 23), Favors (age 24), Gordon Hayward (age 26), and Rodney Hood (age 23) are all young and on the cusp of developing into all-stars.

You think all 4 of those guys are going to be all-stars? If so, they will prob be the best team in the league and one of the best ever.

flyingdutchdevil
05-06-2016, 04:07 PM
While I agree they don't have a superstar, they have a roster full of young intriguing talent. I think their 4 best players: Gobert (aka The Stifle Tower) (age 23), Favors (age 24), Gordon Hayward (age 26), and Rodney Hood (age 23) are all young and on the cusp of developing into all-stars.

Gobert has all defense potential - averaging over 2 blocks and 10 rebounds per game over 2 seasons, which are amazing averages when you consider that he was a reserve for most of last season and was injured for much of this season.
Favors has been a solid presence inside - averaging 16 ppg, 8 rpg, and 1.5 bpg the past 2 season on over 50% shooting. Many thinks he has hit his ceiling as an above average starter, but he's only 24.
Hayward, of Butler fame, is their best player - averaging 20 ppg on efficient shooting and showing his versatility by dishing 4 apg and hitting the boards with 5rpg. He's been good enough to make the World Championship team a couple years ago.
Hood, former Duke player, has shown much of the same skills as Hayward and could eventually be just as good.

They also have other intriguing young players in PG Dante Exum (age 20), SG Alec Burks (age 24), and PF Trey Lyles (age 20), who could all be at a similar level as their top 4 as early as next season.

What they have lacked is a good point guard. Trey Burke, Shelvin Mack (another member of the Butler team we beat in 2010), and Neto are all back-up PGs. Exum may develop into a good PG, but he is still so young, and lost all of this past season to injury. What they need is a PG who can defend and consistently make 3s, as Hayward and Hood are good enough to run the offense out of.

They were just 1 game from making the playoffs from the Western Conference this year. With the age of their players and another lottery pick this year, I think we are seeing the beginning of a perennial playoff team, with upside for more if they all stay together and continue to improve.

This team is right there with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Milwaukee Bucks in regards to young potential.

The difference is that Minny has a potential superstar in KAT and Milwaukee's core (Parker, Greek Freak, Middleton) is, on average, two years younger.

I like the Jazz. I think they will be a playoff team for the next 5-6 years. But I don't think they will be a top 3 team in the league unless they get a potential superstar.

Li_Duke
05-06-2016, 04:18 PM
You think all 4 of those guys are going to be all-stars? If so, they will prob be the best team in the league and one of the best ever.

I said they are all young and on the cusp of developing into all-stars. Don't put words into my mouth. :)

They are all currently among the top 100 players in the NBA (and I would say that all but Hood are top 50, but I'm partial to Hood). Whether or not any of them would actually make the all star team, I can't say. They play in a small market, so none of them are likely to get voted in. Hayward is their best player, but plays the same position as Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard. If I was setting a betting line, I would give each of those 4 a 50% probability of making the all-star team within the next 5 years. That might not seem like much, but that's pretty high praise.

Li_Duke
05-06-2016, 04:29 PM
The difference is that Minny has a potential superstar in KAT and Milwaukee's core (Parker, Greek Freak, Middleton) is, on average, two years younger.

I like the Jazz. I think they will be a playoff team for the next 5-6 years. But I don't think they will be a top 3 team in the league unless they get a potential superstar.

Among those 3 teams, only KAT and Greek Freak are potential superstars. I don't think either 3 will be a top 3 team in the league in the next 5 years (Golden State and Spurs will have 2 of those 3 spots locked up most of those years). However, if I was a young Coach taking over a non-playoff team, these 3 teams would be the ones I'd want (so Kudos to Snyder).

Outside of KAT in Minny, I'm not big on any other player there. Wiggins and Lavine haven't been terribly efficient and don't do much more than score; given the hype, they have both been a bit of a disappointment thus far. Rubio has shot better this season, but I'm not yet sold that he's any better than a league average starter. I like Dieng, but they don't seem to like him as much. But Thibs may be the coach they've needed all along to become something more.

I love Milwaukee's core, even though they disappointed this season. The Greek Freak has an unlimited ceiling. Parker was so efficient the second half of this season. Middleton is good. Monroe hasn't been a great fit to their roster, and I wish they kept Knight instead of trading for Carter-Williams. They need one of the Greek Freak or Parker to develop into a consistent 3 point threat.

-jk
05-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Apparently, a "long-term (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15476096/utah-jazz-extend-contract-coach-quin-snyder)" extension.

Congrats, Quin!

-jk