PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

luburch
05-04-2016, 09:48 AM
So I just finished the Red Rising Trilogy by Piece Brown. If you enjoyed the Hunger Game series or Ender's Game then I highly recommend it.

I was curious what everyone else is reading or had finished reading recently and if anyone had any recommendations?

I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, doesn't make a difference. Debating starting the Game of Thrones series..

Recently, I've read the three JK Rowling detective novels, Life is Not an Accident (J-Will), and The Hobbit.

Anyone have anything they're reading now or that they recommend? I figured this thread could be a nice soundboard for those looking for something new to read. :)

devildeac
05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Since Jan 1:

Farewell to Arms (current)
Killing Reagan
DBR
Dreams and Visions
Rogue Lawyer
lots of medical journals

Birthday coming up next month. Hoping to add to the list. :)

OldPhiKap
05-04-2016, 10:10 AM
Dubliners by James Joyce, currently. Weighing whether to attempt Ulysses or not.

91devil
05-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Good thread to start.

I recommend the latest novel by Chris Pavone entitled "The Travelers". It is Pavone's third book (following "The Expats" and "The Accident"). Good mystery / spy / suspense thriller.

cspan37421
05-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Am considering revisiting Neal Stephenson. Loved his stuff through Cryptonomicon, but he lost me midway through the Baroque Cycle trilogy. I got very tired of his Waterhouse & Shaftoe characters always being in just the right place at just the right time to witness stuff. What a coincidence! Again and again. It was too clever by half, maybe by three-quarters. Anyway, was considering finding a copy of Reamde or Anathem, see if he might return to cyberpunk roots in some way. Not fully ruling out completing the Baroque Cycle since I think there are interesting ideas to explore there, but the vehicle he chose was getting to be so eye-rolling I couldn't stand it.

The 3 that I've finished recently include:

The Turk, by Tom Standage. Story of the chess-playing automaton. Very good read. I learned of Standage through my son's AP World History course; his summer reading was Standage's History of the World in Six Glasses (the six are: beer, wine, spirits, tea, coffee, cola). One of many possible prisms through which to view world history - definitely an interesting one.

Euclid's Window, by Leonard Mlodinow. History of geometry rambles snarkily and ultimately disappoints. Amazon reviewers offer some specific/detailed criticisms.

The Island of Lost Maps, by Miles Harvey. True story of a thief of antique maps who hit a lot of university libraries, including Duke and UVA, surreptitiously cutting maps out of atlases and smuggling them out under his coat/shirt. These old, rare, beautiful (yet often inaccurate!) maps often end up framed in the homes of doctors, lawyers, or in the offices of big companies' C-suites. One picture in there has the thief covering his face with his hands outside Orange County NC's Hillsborough courthouse. A good story, pretty interesting, but drawn out. The critique that the author stretched out a long-form magazine article into a book seems fair to me. It didn't keep me from enjoying it however.

Next up, aside from returning to Neal Stephenson as indicated above, I am considering reading some highly regarded youth literature that my 20 yr old DD left behind on the shelves, such as The Giver, The Tale of Desperaux, and Abarat. I'm about 1/4 through Abarat and so far it gets a "meh".

Note, however, I usually prefer nonfiction - I'm just looking around at our shelves for good unread books, and most of those for me are fiction. Any thoughts on these or others?

Reilly
05-04-2016, 10:53 AM
"We Have Always Lived in the Castle" by Shirley Jackson. Copyright 1962. Highly recommend. Short, funny. Distinctive voice.

El_Diablo
05-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Debating starting the Game of Thrones series..

This is what I am (re-)reading now. I highly recommend taking the plunge.

aimo
05-04-2016, 11:11 AM
I've been reading Jimmy Buffett's A Salty Piece of Land since October. Not b/c it's hard to read, I just haven't had the time or mindset to finish it. It's actually really good. I'm still waiting for my turn on the Durham County Library's copy of Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I loved her first novel, Monsters of Templeton, and her second, Arcadia, was interesting. Also, Craig Johnson is releasing a new Longmire novella this month, The Highwayman. If you haven't read the Longmire series, do, and be sure to start with The Cold Dish, and read them in order.

Dev11
05-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Yesterday I received my copy of The Only Rule Is It Has To Work, a baseball story about two sabremetrics-centric writers who took over the baseball operations for an independent league team with a focus on implementing unorthodox practices. The writers, Ben Lindbergh and Sam Miller, also host an excellent podcast for Baseball Prospectus that I love. I'm excited to dive into this one, and based on a couple chapters, definitely recommend it for the baseball fan in your life.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Just started The Goldfinch, but I have heard nothing but high praise. Looking forward to digging in, as I loved Donna Tartt's first book, "The Secret History."

wilson
05-04-2016, 12:15 PM
...Debating starting the Game of Thrones series...

This is what I am (re-)reading now. I highly recommend taking the plunge.I read them a few years ago and really enjoyed them. I like having a large-scale project like that that immerses me and keeps me busy for several weeks at a time.
But your decision should depend somewhat on your reading tastes. Martin is very good at world-building, and I also think his long-term character and plot development is quite enjoyable. But I think his prose is distinctly below average. If mellifluous composition is a high priority for you, I wouldn't recommend it...it's just too long and involved to keep you satisfied.

cspan37421
05-04-2016, 12:29 PM
forgot to mention a very quick read - A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Forgot it b/c it only took me a day and a half to read it, about 25 times my normal pace. I enjoyed his sense of humor - about every 10-15 pages there was a passage that made me literally LOL. From this first exposure to him, I'm inclined to read others of his oeuvre. As a former resident of Albion, I may look for his Notes from a Small Island. I recently gave my dad The Road to Little Dribbling, and he loved it.

swood1000
05-04-2016, 01:00 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Actually, listening to it via Audible (great way to get some use out of driving and dog walking time).

cspan37421
05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Actually, listening to it via Audible (great way to get some use out of driving and dog walking time).

Do you ever use Librivox? I used them to listen to Shelley's Frankenstein on a long drive; the "book" was outstanding.

swood1000
05-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Do you ever use Librivox? I used them to listen to Shelley's Frankenstein on a long drive; the "book" was outstanding.
No, I had no idea that was available. Thanks for the tip! Is the reading quality pretty good?

Billy Dat
05-04-2016, 01:27 PM
I went on a hoops-related book tear during the meat of basketball season:

-Jason Williams autobiography - "Life is not an Accident"
-Feinstein's latest on K, Dean and Jimmy V "The Legends Club"
-Andy Glockner's "Chasing Perfection" about the revolution in advanced stats in basketball
-Jonathan Abrams "Boys Among Men" about the prep-to-pro generation from KGarnett - Dwight Howard before they changed the rules

Other than that, recent reads of note:

"All Involved" by Ryan Gattis, a fictionalized account of the LA Riots mostly from the perspective of latino gangs, really raw and crazy/disturbing

"My Struggle - Volumes 1-5" by Karl Ove Knausguard. These books have been really interesting. Knausgaard was a locally acclaimed Norwegian writer when he decided to devote 3,600 pages to record his 40-some-odd relatively uneventful years on Earth in minute detail. The six-volume collection is considered a notable modern literary achievement. Is the life of a middle-aged author of nominal fame that interesting? I guess the answer is in the eyes of the beholder, but I can't get enough. It's a classic "it's not what he's saying but how he says it" situation and I think most people can connect with his everyday struggles and triumphs, vanities and perceived slights, etc. They have been translating 1 volume a year into English and they just released Volume 5. If you start with Volume 1 and get hooked, you've got a plenty to keep you interested in no fear of spoilers because there aint much to spoil.

aimo
05-04-2016, 01:31 PM
I went on a hoops-related book tear during the meat of basketball season:

-Jason Williams autobiography - "Life is not an Accident"
-Feinstein's latest on K, Dean and Jimmy V "The Legends Club"
-Andy Glockner's "Chasing Perfection" about the revolution in advanced stats in basketball
-Jonathan Abrams "Boys Among Men" about the prep-to-pro generation from KGarnett - Dwight Howard before they changed the rules

No My Losing Season - Pat Conroy?

Billy Dat
05-04-2016, 01:40 PM
No My Losing Season - Pat Conroy?

I actually own that book but haven't read it...the others were of the page-turner variety and that one seems like deserves some more of my focus. On your suggestion I'll throw it back onto the to-read pile.

I forget two other music related books:

"The Song Machine" by John Seabrook, all about how pop music has been made for the past 10-20 years, really interesting deep dive into producers Max Martin, Dr. Luke, etc.

I have also been circling the new James Brown book, "Kill 'Em and Leave: Searching for James Brown and the American Soul" by James McBride. I stopped buying books because my backlog was too steep but I will get the one soon.

Tom B.
05-04-2016, 01:44 PM
First...holy crap, you people read a lot. I wish I read more -- it just seems that between work and family obligations (which include taking care of two kids under age 5), the time and/or energy are frequently lacking.

Second -- I'm currently reading Built on Bones by Greg Ried. It's a bit of Civil War-era historical fiction written by a friend of my father-in-law. It's OK -- a fairly easy read, it might make a nice summertime beach or pool book.

Next up on my nightstand is Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. Seabiscuit plus Chariots of Fire plus Miracle plus the first part of Unbroken -- but about rowing.

cspan37421
05-04-2016, 02:04 PM
No, I had no idea that was available. Thanks for the tip! Is the reading quality pretty good?

It varies - for every narrator on par with Jim Dale or Stephen Fry, you get one on par with "Mike," your customer service rep from the Far East.
Most are well toward the midpoint of those. It's volunteer work, and as such, I suspect it attracts more bibliophiles than voice actors.

Remember, though: each title is worth every penny. ;)

I have thought of volunteering - I may yet, someday. Too busy serving in other roles at the moment, but it would be a nice legacy to leave behind.

cspan37421
05-04-2016, 02:17 PM
I wish I read more -- it just seems that between work and family obligations (which include taking care of two kids under age 5), the time and/or energy are frequently lacking.

You've got your priorities straight!
One way to kill two birds with one stone: read to your kids. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and it's fun for both the reader and listener. Each age has their stages of favorite authors. You might be at a good stage for James Marshall books (George and Martha, Fox, etc). Before long you'll be reading them first Harry Potter, and they'll be reading on their own soon too. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
First...holy crap, you people read a lot. I wish I read more -- it just seems that between work and family obligations (which include taking care of two kids under age 5), the time and/or energy are frequently lacking.

Second -- I'm currently reading Built on Bones by Greg Ried. It's a bit of Civil War-era historical fiction written by a friend of my father-in-law. It's OK -- a fairly easy read, it might make a nice summertime beach or pool book.

Next up on my nightstand is Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. Seabiscuit plus Chariots of Fire plus Miracle plus the first part of Unbroken -- but about rowing.

This one is in my queue as well. Christmas gift from the mother-in-law.

brevity
05-04-2016, 02:23 PM
I have also been circling the new James Brown book, "Kill 'Em and Leave: Searching for James Brown and the American Soul" by James McBride. I stopped buying books because my backlog was too steep but I will get the one soon.

I'm reading Kill 'Em and Leave right now. (Checked it out from the public library.) It looks like it would be a brisk read, and sometimes it is, but the rural backwater descriptions and modern estate squabbles can get a little depressing. So I'm taking it short chapter by chapter. James McBride is a bit of a literary celebrity, and he inserts a lot of himself into the story: his childhood reverence of Brown, his own past as a musician and music journalist, and his recent financial struggles that prompted him to take on this project. It's too early for me to decide if I like it beyond my natural inclination toward biographies of dead entertainers.

Billy Dat
05-04-2016, 02:35 PM

Ha - a few things have helped...middle age insomnia and throwing in the towel on trying to keep up with scripted television.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-04-2016, 03:07 PM
This is what I am (re-)reading now. I highly recommend taking the plunge.

I plowed through all those books in about a month right before the series started. It was a fun ride. Would definitely be a different experience reading them now that the TV series has permeated so much of our culture. Lots of plot points that were STUNNING to read or see on TV for the first time would feel diluted if you were peripherally aware of them impending excitement.

Definitely worth a read though.

Doria
05-04-2016, 03:11 PM
I'm in the middle of JWill's book, which I saved for the off-season. I'm also reading the latest Batman graphic novel collection. I'd have to look at my kindle to remember what else I've read recently, but for comic book readers (though this is a novel), I recently liked A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King, who will be taking over Batman's main title with DC's Rebirth.

Oh, I also recently read People Who Eat Darkness about the true crime case concerning a British national in Japan, but if you want to read about that sort of thing more generally, I recommend Tokyo Vice, Midnight in Peking (not set in JP, obviously, but very interesting), and Tokyo Underworld, which is about an American gangster in Japan. These are all based on true stories.

The last novel I read other than the King book was A Midsummer's Equation, which is the latest in the Detective Galileo series. I didn't like it as much as the last one, which is my favorite that's been published in English, but it's still good if you like JP mysteries.

Tommac
05-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Harlan Coben's first Myron Bolitar novel, Deal Breaker, in which Myron is a former Duke basketball star. After a NBA career ending injury, Myron becomes a professional sports agent and detective for his clients. Mryon Bolitar novels are suspenseful and comical. Great reading.

duke79
05-04-2016, 04:08 PM
I'm just starting a new book that has come out, written by the historian Douglas Brinkley, entitled "Rightful Heritage; FDR and the Land of America". An examination of FDR's role in conserving land and natural resources. It has gotten excellent reviews. Douglas Brinkley also wrote a book about Teddy Roosevelt called "The Wilderness Warrior" that examined his role in creating many of the national parks and wilderness areas in this country. I read that and enjoyed it very much. He is an excellent writer and a detailed researcher. I read a lot of history and biographies.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-04-2016, 04:10 PM
I'm in the middle of JWill's book, which I saved for the off-season. I'm also reading the latest Batman graphic novel collection. I'd have to look at my kindle to remember what else I've read recently, but for comic book readers (though this is a novel), I recently liked A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King, who will be taking over Batman's main title with DC's Rebirth.

Oh, I also recently read People Who Eat Darkness about the true crime case concerning a British national in Japan, but if you want to read about that sort of thing more generally, I recommend Tokyo Vice, Midnight in Peking (not set in JP, obviously, but very interesting), and Tokyo Underworld, which is about an American gangster in Japan. These are all based on true stories.

The last novel I read other than the King book was A Midsummer's Equation, which is the latest in the Detective Galileo series. I didn't like it as much as the last one, which is my favorite that's been published in English, but it's still good if you like JP mysteries.

I read J-Will's book during the season this year (I know you and I have discussed it a bit). I wonder if there's enough interest to warrant a thread discussing it now that it's been our for three or four months?

Olympic Fan
05-04-2016, 04:40 PM
About halfway though Edward Bonekemper's The Myth of the Lost Cause -- a pretty devastating (and convincing) attack on the idea that the Civil War was precipitated by something other than slavery and the South's desire to defend it.

I got onto it after reading Our Man in Charleston by Christopher Dickey -- an examination of Robert Bunch, the British counsel in Charleston before and during the Civil War and how he came to despise the secessionist firebrands that he was forced to deal with ... and how his correspondence detailing secret Southern plans to re-open the slave trade helped prevent Great Britain from intervening in the war.

I set Max Hasting's Catastrophe 1914 aside to read the Bonekemper book. I'll get back to it. It's an interesting parallel to Barbara Tuchman's classic Guns of August. Not great, but worth the read.

I'm ready to read Forty-Seven Days by Michael Yockelson about the maturation of the AEF during the battle of the Meuse-Argonne in 1918. I've also downloaded Patrick O'Donnell's Washington's Immortals -- a focused study of the Maryland Line -- probably the single most important and successful regiment in the American Revolutionary War. I know a lot about their campaign in the Carolinas -- how they saved the Southern army during the defeat at Camden, crushed Tarleton at The Cowpens, frustrated Cornwallis during the Race to the Dan and outfought the most famous regiment in the British Army at Guilford Courthouse.

Last week's Shakespeare anniversary inspired me to order The Millionaire and the Bard by Andrea Mays -- the story of how Folger came to assemble the finest collection of Shakespeare material in the world. I also spent some time re-reading books in my library -- Prosser's great Hamlet and Revenge and Wills' Witches and Jesuits.

Also, Michael Haskew's West Point 1915 -- a book covering a subject I once considered writing -- about the famous "Class the Stars Fell on".

I just finished Alistair Cooke's The American Home Front. Cooke, the famous BBC commentator on America, traveled across the country, mostly by motorcar, in the first months of WWII (in America) and left a fascinating account of the country and the attitudes of its citizens at that time. He actually wrote the book in late 1942, but it remained unpublished until after his death a few years ago. If you have any interest in that period, I strongly recommend it.

I can't recommend Jay Wink's 1944, which is disjointed and unfocused. And while I don't always agree with Victor Hanson Davis, his Father of Us All, which I just finished, is a worthy addition to his oeuvre. But if you like Davis, I strongly recommend his Soul of Battle -- about the three greatest liberator generals in history ...

Oh well, a new Daedelus catalogue just arrived, so give me a few weeks and I might have some more recommendations.

swood1000
05-04-2016, 04:49 PM
One way to kill two birds with one stone: read to your kids. There's a lot of good stuff out there, and it's fun for both the reader and listener. Each age has their stages of favorite authors. You might be at a good stage for James Marshall books (George and Martha, Fox, etc). Before long you'll be reading them first Harry Potter, and they'll be reading on their own soon too. Enjoy it while it lasts!
I'll second that. There are some great stories that will enthrall your kids and that you can get caught up in too. Things like Lassie, Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, Watership Down, etc. I used to read to my daughter (who ended up going to Duke) until she could read for herself and now she's 28 and tells me earnestly that she hopes I understand how much she appreciates all that reading I did.

Doria
05-04-2016, 04:56 PM
I'll second that. There are some great stories that will enthrall your kids and that you can get caught up in too. Things like Lassie, Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, Watership Down, etc. I used to read to my daughter (who ended up going to Duke) until she could read for herself and now she's 28 and tells me earnestly that she hopes I understand how much she appreciates all that reading I did.

One website I frequent (I forgot which it was, sorry) had a sidebar that Netflix will be adding Watership Down next month to their streaming catalog. Oh, I think it was maybe AV Club. Anyway, I wouldn't let children who are too young watch it, depending on their sensitivity to animated violence and the like, but it made a strong impression on me when I was a kid.

Oh, back on topic(ish), I remembered that I read some of the new Star Wars books--the ones now in canon, I mean. For me, Dark Disciple was clearly the best of the lot, and it wasn't close. However, I am a big Ventress fan from The Clone Wars TV series, and it is now to my everlasting regret they were never able to do this arc for her. But the book is a good consolation prize. Lost Stars... Eh, it's a YA book, so it has the problems common to that genre, though I did appreciate that we are finally shown someone who does support the Empire and is not a crazy person or a villain. The original material (non-movie material) for The Force Awakens is pretty good, but the book doesn't really justify a read if you saw the movie already or plan to. And lastly, I tried to read Aftermath, but I have been unable to get past the first chapter. I will probably try again sometime, but I have a bunch of stuff on the kindle to read, so the incentive is not high.

aimo
05-04-2016, 06:55 PM

My mom read Charlotte's Web to me as I sat on the potty. Don't know why I felt the need to share that, but there you have it.

fidel
05-04-2016, 07:14 PM
I have The Plantaganets and queued The War of the Roses, both by Dan Jones. Getting ready for the second Hollow Crown cycle being released.

Summer reading will take a different, less geekish spin :).

dball
05-04-2016, 07:27 PM
The Real Story of the DC Vampires was a fun read. Subtitle "It's Not Like The Movies" gives a hint that it's a bit of a different take. While set in and around the nation's capital for the most part, characters also take in the CDC in Atlanta and there's even a trip to Durham.

Vampires are created accidentally (? maybe not) by a brilliant research scientist. His young cohort witnesses the first attack and spends the rest of the time following the trail of the vampires, why and how they exist. Could be a good summer read.

cspan37421
05-04-2016, 08:39 PM
My mom read Charlotte's Web to me as I sat on the potty. Don't know why I felt the need to share that, but there you have it.

:D

I think Harry Potter might be of more use to me in such a situation, but hey, TMI, right?

One can do a lot worse than read your kids (in no particular order) E.B. White, Roald Dahl, A.A. Milne, Shel Silverstein, and of course Dr. Seuss!

Protip for reading more: keep a book with you wherever you go. Traveling for business? Definitely - for the plane (and gate area), before trying to sleep in a strange bed, .... Taking a kid to the doctor's office? Absolutely - you know how long those waits can be. Going to see family? If you're typical - you're going to need a little quiet time each day!

Long car drives: get books on "tape" (MP3) either paid or, for stuff out of copyright, Librivox.

Note: Project Gutenberg can get you free e-books of stuff out of copyright too, if you don't mind reading them on a computer screen.

weezie
05-04-2016, 10:00 PM
Wow, lots of readers. It's great to see the diversity!

About a third of the way into A Brief History of Seven Killings, set in 1970s Jamaica. Author, Marlon James.
Very intense and about half of it in Jamaica patois. Took some time to adjust to the vocabulary but it's a riveting story.

Next up, A Perfect Crime by A Yi. Translated from Chinese.

Need to add to the summer list though. Let's see some more recommendations here...

Ggallagher
05-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Here are several that I enjoyed over the last couple of months....

"Into the Black" - Rowland White
A lot of interesting details on the people, technology and politics of the Space Shuttle program.

"Lingo" -- Gaston Dorren
A surprisingly humorous and interesting summary of the sixty or so languages that are spoken in Europe - I had no idea. It's a nice easy read with a four or five page chapter devoted to each of the sixty or so languages. You get a little bit of history, linguistics, and background for each language. I spent a fair amount of time in Europe (and South America) in my career so I picked it up just out of curiosity, but the entire book ended up being a really fun read. And I'm REALLY glad I never needed to learn Welsh, Scots-Gaelic, Manx or any of the other pretty bizarre languages floating around the continent.

"Battle of the Atlantic" - Jonathan Dimberly
This is a very good account of the two most dangerous jobs that were part of World War II - U-boat crew or merchant marine. It also addresses the strategic decisions made by Germany and England - which had they been handled differently might have resulted in a very different outcome of the war. Germany might easily have ended the war sooner and victoriously had they focused their resources on the U-boats, and England might have shortened the war had they dedicated their resources to suppressing the U-boat threat.

"Split Second" - Douglas Richards
I have to read something "fun" sometimes. This is a science fiction, murder mystery about the creation of a time machine - but the machine will only allow you to travel back in time for a small fraction of a second. That's the hook that got me. So why would you start murdering people if they learned how to travel back in time a few milliseconds????

camion
05-05-2016, 07:33 AM
I've been revisiting some old friends recently.

The Atrocity Archives - Charles Stross

The Android's Dream - John Scalzi

And for some reason I went way back to Babel-17 - Samuel R. Delaney

whereinthehellami
05-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Currently reading "Girl on a train" by Paula Hawkins. It is a fun, quick read.

Just finished a jog thru some of Arthur C Clarke's books. I really liked "Rendezvous with Rama". I thought it captured the essence of good sci-fi, filled with wonder and exploration.

Next up was "Childhood's End", which I liked on the whole but struggled with the pacing of the middle of the book. But there were some ideas in that book that made me want to look to the stars again for questions and answers.

Lastly, I read "The Songs of Distant Earth", and wouldn't recommend that one. Neat idea but Clarke's weakness of character development comes through and it became a struggle to finish.

Doria
05-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Currently reading "Girl on a train" by Paula Hawkins. It is a fun, quick read.

Just finished a jog thru some of Arthur C Clarke's books. I really liked "Rendezvous with Rama". I thought it captured the essence of good sci-fi, filled with wonder and exploration.

Next up was "Childhood's End", which I liked on the whole but struggled with the pacing of the middle of the book. But there were some ideas in that book that made me want to look to the stars again for questions and answers.

Lastly, I read "The Songs of Distant Earth", and wouldn't recommend that one. Neat idea but Clarke's weakness of character development comes through and it became a struggle to finish.

I have not read Childhood's End since probably fifth grade, but at the time, I loved it. I'm sure as an adult, I would likely have technical critiques such as you mention, but back then, it blew my mind!

I have plugged this series in The Walking Dead thread, but I'd recommend anyone interested in zombies or spec ops stuff to check out the Arisen series. It's a collaboration between two authors, one of whom was known more for (relatively) accurate military thrillers and one who covers the sci-fi/drama stuff. If you can suspend disbelief to get you to the zombie apocalypse, it's a great book(s). The caveat is that it's published serially, so the wait between installments can be painful. The other caveat is that I've not liked the two recent sections as much, and I suspect that the absence of one of the two writers is the cause. However, there's still a ton that's really fun. You can find it on Amazon; there may be other places, but that's where I stumbled across it. And because the installments are so inexpensive, you can try it for almost no cost (like maybe 2 or 3$?). Actually, with Amazon, if you read it and hate it, you can just return it on the kindle, if it's not too much later.

BLPOG
05-05-2016, 12:51 PM
On the fiction side of things, I'm planning to start Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land soon. It seems like a good choice given how much I liked The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress last year.

In the non-fiction, sports category, the next two up are Forever's Team and The Secret Game.

In the non-fiction, not-sports category, I'm going to finish the second half of The Problem of Political Authority by philosopher Michael Huemer. I set it down for a while because I had other priorities and am already familiar with the content, but it's very good. I find that philosophers tend to write with one of two styles: either careful, precise arguments or gobbledygook faux-esoteric language obscuring a lack of actual substance. This book uses the former and I'd recommend it to anyone who has an interest in political philosophy.

cspan37421
05-06-2016, 12:46 PM

Hey, just FYI, found this thread on reddit, and it has narrator recommendations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiobooks/comments/3rfdlo/the_best_of_librivox/

Thought you might find it useful

swood1000
05-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Hey, just FYI, found this thread on reddit, and it has narrator recommendations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiobooks/comments/3rfdlo/the_best_of_librivox/

Thought you might find it useful
Great. Thanks!

Devilwin
05-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Just finished two books by Jim Corbett, the great naturalist/hunter that lived in India in the early 20th century. Man eating tigers and leopards were common then, and Corbett brought several to book, including a tigress that killed 436 people! Also a leopard that killed 400. Names of the books are "Maneaters of Kumaon", and "The Temple Tiger." Really good, suspenseful reads!:cool:

gumbomoop
05-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Books I'm reading these days are all over the place.

Richard Engel, And Then All Hell Broke Loose: Two Decades in the Middle East
Manisha Sinha, The Slave's Cause: A History of Abolition
Bill Walton, Back from the Dead (clever title, double entendre, or something)
Daniel de Vise, Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show
David Crystal, Making a Point: The Persnickety Story of English Punctuation (which will probably lead me to read his 2 earlier books, Spell It Out and The Story of English in 100 Words

I'd like to second OF's comment about Bonekemper's book...

About halfway though Edward Bonekemper's The Myth of the Lost Cause -- a pretty devastating (and convincing) attack on the idea that the Civil War was precipitated by something other than slavery and the South's desire to defend it.

... and add some observations on this perennial topic of slavery and the Civil War.

For many who to this day think of themselves as "real Southerners," what they insist on calling "The War Between the States" (or sometimes more pointedly "The War of Northern Aggression") wasn't about slavery. Such folks, by the 21st century, have either become a little embarrassed by slavery, or they're at least, if reluctantly, aware they're supposed to be embarrassed by it. So their rendering is that the South seceded to defend state rights. Here they conveniently and enthusiastically substitute a pseudo-constitutional defense of the right to secede for the straightforward reason that secessionists - over and over in 1860-61, publicly and passionately - actually gave for seceding: we must protect slavery. To repeat, carefully: slavery's protection was the reason to secede. State rights was the justification for the right to secede. Two related but distinct things. Even planters who opposed secession did so because they believed secession would lead to war and the destruction of slavery. Prescient, they were. (On this, see James Roark, Masters Without Slaves: Southern Planters in the Civil War and Reconstruction, ch. 1.)

Embarrassed by slavery, modern "real Southerners" desperately need to avoid the unpleasant fact that the vast majority of 19th-century white Southerners were not at all embarrassed by slavery, ordained as it was, so they believed, by God and nature, the "natural condition of the African race." Because they believed slavery not in the least abominable - indeed, the very opposite, "a Christian gift to an inferior people" - they wouldn't in 1861-65 have imagined divorcing the protection of slavery from the very purpose of the Confederacy. So the seceders were perfectly frank in their proslavery and their racism - no need whatsoever to be embarrassed. But that worldview has had to be, uh, softened somewhat, hidden, written out of memory. The result, as Bonekemper and many other historians have pointed out, was mythmaking, the myth of the Lost Cause. Note that this myth began tentatively during the latter stages of the Civil War, and "blossomed" in the years/decades after the war. It has borne its florid odor for about 150 years now.

A myth is first and foremost a story, not necessarily nor even usually a lie (in the normal understanding of that word). Although myths are not usually deliberate lies, they do morph into "historical lies," accounts that do not match facts and reality. The key to understanding the refusal of self-perceived and self-deceived "real Southerners" to accept the centrality of slavery to secession is this "embarrassment factor." It is the key to understanding why modern white Southerners desperately need to glom onto the state rights explanation of secession. True enough, Southerners did believe in state rights. So did Northerners, though their understanding of state rights didn't extend to secession. But in the decades after 1865, Southerners more and more came to mis-remember what their forbears actually said, repeatedly, easily, firmly, non-controversially: we secede because Lincoln and the Republicans threaten slavery.

Lincoln's election led to Southern panic; protection of slavery led to secession; secession led to war. (It's an entirely different debate about how immediately Lincoln and his new party did in fact threaten slavery, but secessionists mistook Republican antislavery for abolition.)

Devilwin
05-06-2016, 07:40 PM
A good read on the flip side of that Bonekemper book is "War Crimes Against Southern Civilians", by Walter Brian Cisco. Tells the story of how the southern populace, both black and white, suffered at the hands of "Lincoln's glorious redeemers".

fisheyes
05-06-2016, 08:48 PM
This is an awesome thread...
Love the diversity
I will throw in my 2 cents:

Just finished the 4 book series by Elena Ferrante (pen name; nobody knows who the real author is!)
1. My Brilliant Friend
2. The Story of a New Name
3. Those who Leave and Those Who Stay
4. The Story of the Lost Child

An absolutely wonderful series about two Neapolitan girls and their friendship from age 7 to 70. Now that I have finished the series I find that I really miss my time with Elena and Lila.

Don't miss reading "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi. Remarkable story of a young neurosurgical resident coming to grips with his own death.

"The Opposite of Loneliness" by Marina Keagan. A brilliant Yale grad who died shortly after graduation. This book is a compilation published by her teachers and family after her death. Her first job would have been writing for The New Yorker. She would have had an outstanding career. Sad.

"The Wright Brothers" by David McCullough. Not a big fan of biographies but this was wonderful!

"The David Foster Wallace Reader" The first story is worth the price. Great to read if you can't commit to reading "Infinite Jest".

"The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. Poet turned fiction writer. Brilliant post apocalyptic story of survival.

FYI I don't "read" any of my books. They're all on Audible and I love it! Can't be in the car without my books!

Enjoy!!!

CameronBlue
05-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Great thread. Let me distinguish between what's on my nightstand and what I'm actually reading. On the night stand is David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames, C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, Robert Jourdain's Music, The Brain, and Ecstasy (because I still harbor the delusion that I'm the world's greatest undiscovered guitarist (now where's that push-up bra, you steal that OPK?)), Bill Bryson's Neither Here Nor There: travels in Europe and Christopher Hitchen's Essays Arguably all in various states of progress and/or suspended states of consumption and reflection. But the book I'm really into at the moment, and I'm shocked honestly because first, I should have read it in high school and second, because it is thoroughly enjoyable is Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. I really love this book and I'm not sure I can explain why. I think I need to start taking a testosterone supplement, grab my axe and roll out some AC/DC. Goddam this getting old sucks. Curse you Sylvia!! I don't want to get in touch with my feminine side!

Soon to be added to the nightstand Engle and Corbett's books mentioned upthread. Thanks!

Olympic Fan
05-06-2016, 09:54 PM
On the fiction side of things, I'm planning to start Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land soon. It seems like a good choice given how much I liked The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress last year.

Just curious ... I hope you got the 1991 unabridged version (about 70,000 words were cut in the first published version).

I LOVE Heinlein's stuff. I grew up on his juvenile novels -- even today I would recommend Have Space Suit, Will Travel to any adult.

His Destination Moon is amazing ... his account of the first landing on the moon is eerily similar to the actual moon landing of Apollo 11 -- in both cases, the automated landing sequence is about to bring in the craft in on a rocky surface that would probably cause a crash and the pilot has to override and land manually -- both in the story and real life managing to get the craft down with seconds of fuel remaining.

You've picked two of his best, but I would also urge his future history. Start with Methuselah's Children to meet Woodrow Wilson Smith (aka Lazarus Long), then follow that with Time Enough for Love and To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

Nobody did better Time Travel stories -- his short story All You Zombies is a masterpiece.

Heinlein hasn't fared very well in Hollywood. He was actually brought in to work on the script of Destination Moon, but eventually quit in disgust. Verhoeven completely missed the point of Starship Troopers (a great novel and a much less militaristic shoot-em-up than the film) and even with Donald Sutherland in the lead, The Puppet Masters is a forgettable film.

I do recommend Predestination -- a 2014 Australian version of All You Zombies, starring Ethan Hawke.

I'm really excited about a production of The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, which is in the works, directed by Bryan Singer.

Various scripts for a screen version of Stranger in a Strange Land have been floating around for decades, but for some reason, the story can never get off the ground.

But plenty of great Heinlein to read -- the novels mentioned above ... Double Star, Friday, The Number of the Beast, The Door Into Summer, Glory Road ... the short stories ...

grad_devil
05-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Harlan Coben's first Myron Bolitar novel, Deal Breaker, in which Myron is a former Duke basketball star. After a NBA career ending injury, Myron becomes a professional sports agent and detective for his clients. Mryon Bolitar novels are suspenseful and comical. Great reading.

I love Harlan Coben, his Myron Bolitar series in particular. I believe it was a thread such as this several years ago that put me onto this series, and I've read them all. Then I started with his other books. I find his quick-wit and one-liners make for page turners, particularly when I'm not interested in anything too deep.

Having said that, I'm reading his newest book, "Fool Me Once". Think it came out in March.

Also read this year:

"Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
"The Code Book" by Simon Singh
"Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes
"The Sociopath Next Door" by Martha Stout
"Power Forward" by Reggie Love
"Life is Not an Accident" by Jason Williams

cspan37421
05-06-2016, 10:12 PM
Here they conveniently and enthusiastically substitute a pseudo-constitutional defense of the right to secede for the straightforward reason that secessionists - over and over in 1860-61, publicly and passionately - actually gave for seceding: we must protect slavery.

This can't be emphasized enough. At the time, secessionists were very clear and public about their motivations. Just look up "Declarations of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Union". I believe other confederate states similarly explained their actions and motivations, and it was the threat to slavery that was foremost. So modern day apologists seem to think they know better what motivated 19th c. politicians more than those politicians did themselves. Interesting.

I have heard two interesting assertions made regarding secession.

The Constitution made no provision for secession by a state or states. It only provided a means of amending itself.
That a number of states would never have signed on to the Constitution if they thought they could never, later, withdraw from it, should they wish to do so.

I am not a historian, so I cannot opine on the merits of those assertions, but I do find them very interesting.

Olympic Fan
05-07-2016, 12:40 AM
This can't be emphasized enough. At the time, secessionists were very clear and public about their motivations. Just look up "Declarations of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Union". I believe other confederate states similarly explained their actions and motivations, and it was the threat to slavery that was foremost. So modern day apologists seem to think they know better what motivated 19th c. politicians more than those politicians did themselves. Interesting.

I have heard two interesting assertions made regarding secession.

The Constitution made no provision for secession by a state or states. It only provided a means of amending itself.
That a number of states would never have signed on to the Constitution if they thought they could never, later, withdraw from it, should they wish to do so.

I am not a historian, so I cannot opine on the merits of those assertions, but I do find them very interesting.

At the risk of derailing he thread, you miss the third option -- the original argument against succession. It's the one Abraham Lincoln made in his First Inaugural in 1861.

The Union is much older than the Constitution. It was formed, in fact, by the Articles of Association in 1774. It was matured and continued by the Declaration of Independence in 1776. It was further matured, and the faith of all the then thirteen States expressly plighted and engaged that it should be perpetual, by the Articles of Confederation in 1778. And finally, in 1787, one of the declared objects for ordaining and establishing the Constitution was to form a more perfect Union.

Legal scholars have pointed out that Article 13 of the Articles of Confederation (1778) provide that the union of the states was "perpetual" -- and four of the 11 members of the Confederacy signed onto that perpetual union. In fact, Virginia and South Carolina were the first two states to agree to perpetual union. The Constitution was technically just a modification of the Articles (which allowed for the change in the document provided the alterations were approved by all 13 legislatures ... as the Constitution was).

It's all a moot point anyway -- the US Supreme Court ruled (with just one dissent) in the 1869 case Texas vs. White that succession was illegal under the U.S. Constitution.

But I'd rather talk about books in this thread. I've read the Cisco book about "war crimes" committed against the South. It is a well documented report on the degradation that Union Army committed against the South -- stealing food (and burning what they couldn't take with them), stealing livestock, burning private property and horror of horrors, freeing thousands of slaves, which were private property.

Where the book gets ridiculous is Cisco's argument that the devastation was unwarranted. He never seems to understand that there was a war going on ... in his view, it's just these poor, innocent Southerners doing nothing, who are attacked on their property without reason. His book starts with the assumption that succession was legal and the North had no right to invade and try and force the South back into the Union.

I also think he's wrong to lay all these "crimes" at the feet of Lincoln (as Cisco does). The greatest devastation was the work of Grant, who unleashed Sherman in the deep South and Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley to destroy the Southern infrastructure. The great destructions didn't really start until 1864 ... it was not something conceived by Lincoln, but by U.S. Grant, who was determined to wage "hard" war on the successionists, especially the slave owners previously safe on the plantations. It was "hard" war ... not "total" war -- there are almost no instances where civilians were murdered or raped as a matter of union policy (although that did happen in the anarchy left by the passage of the armies ... often by deserters of both armies).

But Southern slave owners complaining about the damages in the war they provoked is on the same level as Germans complaining about the war crimes of the Allies for indiscriminate bombing of their cities (and such complaints are out there).

To get a different perspective on union "war crimes", I would suggest you read Victor Davis Hansen; Soul of Battle. One third o that book his related to Sherman's March -- and how Sherman led one of the three greatest armies of liberation in world history.

gumbomoop
05-07-2016, 12:54 AM
... the original argument against succession.

Friendly amendment: secession, secessionists, etc., in your post. Might be AutoIncorrect doing its treason.

For a very few years Confederates seemed to have succeeded in seceding, but in losing the war, they were unsuccessful in their secession.

throatybeard
05-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Roxane Gay, Bad Feminist. A tad embarrassing, in fact, that in my line of my line of work, it took me two years to get around to it, but better late than never. The takedown of The Help alone is worth the price of admission.

-jk
05-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Daniel de Vise, Andy & Don: The Making of a Friendship and a Classic American TV Show

Dan is a neighbor of mine - and an in-law of Don Knott's. (For laughs, check out the author photo credit...)

-jk

cspan37421
05-07-2016, 07:45 AM
At the risk of derailing he thread, you miss the third option -- the original argument against succession. It's the one Abraham Lincoln made in his First Inaugural in 1861.

Quick note before getting back on topic - I wasn't trying to enumerate all options. Just throwing out a couple of interesting assertions and seeing who might be able to shed some context on them or analysis of them. But thanks, that was interesting.

Second quick note: had no internet service this morning; tried a few different things, including unplugging my router and restarting - and when that didn't work, boy, just think of how much of one's daily work and personal life depends on an internet connection! Eventually I went through a process to formally reboot the router, and thank goodness that worked. It's not like I could have ordered a new router from Amazon! I'd be crawling my way back to a brick and mortar store to buy a less-preferred brand at a much less-preferred price!

Re-railing the thread:

Back in the day Librivox used to publish top downloads, but I can't find it. Maybe I'm confusing it with project gutenberg, but I wanted to check out some top lists to guide my next audiobook download. Does anyone know of a site that provides these for Librivox?

As an aside, I suspect that someday soon, our various devices will read project gutenberg books to us with a decent computer voice, either through a text to speech app or some feature of the OS. Anyone know of one for Android that already works?

BLPOG
05-07-2016, 08:33 AM
For many who to this day think of themselves as "real Southerners," what they insist on calling "The War Between the States" (or sometimes more pointedly "The War of Northern Aggression") wasn't about slavery. Such folks, by the 21st century, have either become a little embarrassed by slavery, or they're at least, if reluctantly, aware they're supposed to be embarrassed by it. So their rendering is that the South seceded to defend state rights. Here they conveniently and enthusiastically substitute a pseudo-constitutional defense of the right to secede for the straightforward reason that secessionists - over and over in 1860-61, publicly and passionately - actually gave for seceding: we must protect slavery. To repeat, carefully: slavery's protection was the reason to secede. State rights was the justification for the right to secede. Two related but distinct things.
[...SNIP...]
Lincoln's election led to Southern panic; protection of slavery led to secession; secession led to war. (It's an entirely different debate about how immediately Lincoln and his new party did in fact threaten slavery, but secessionists mistook Republican antislavery for abolition.)

Like Olympic Fan, I want to be careful not to derail the thread here, but I would make a couple comments about these two bits of your post.

First, I think you are being uncharitable to Southerners. "A little embarrassed"? "Reluctantly...aware they're supposed to be embarrassed by [slavery]?" Come on.

Second, your distinction about reasons and justifications is correct, but I think you might be ignoring the fact that it's possible to have more than one reason for doing things. When you say slavery was the reason to secede, I wonder if you are taking that as the conclusion of reading on the topic or as the reason explicitly given in the various articles of secession. Those were somewhat varied and although several mentioned slavery, other reasons were explicitly mentioned as well. It would also be a naive analysis to exclude unmentioned reasons that were part of the realpolitik - North Carolina, for instance, seceded last and was surrounded by other secessionist states. That undoubtedly played a factor in the state's decision. Moreover, as you make a distinction about reasons and justification, one must also make a distinction between secession and war.

That point about how immediately Lincoln/Republicans threatened slavery is an interesting one. Aside from Lincoln's endorsement of the Corwin amendment, there is also evidence that much of the anti-slavery movement of the time was not abolitionist per se, but actually aimed at preserving a white electorate in the expanding western states without shared interest with the South. This point is important because it adds some nuance that could (I'm not making the argument that it does; that discussion would be far too complex to have here and I don't know the answer anyway) bridge the gap between the two positions you outlined in your post. It would mean that slavery was the reason for secession, but not necessarily or exclusively protection of Southern slavery; it served as a proxy for Southern interests which it secured (via political mechanism, not in any economic sense which is an economically ignorant view).

Just curious ... I hope you got the 1991 unabridged version (about 70,000 words were cut in the first published version).

Fortunately, I found out about the unabridged version (and Heinlein's own preference for it) in time.

gumbomoop
05-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Dan is a neighbor of mine - and an in-law of Don Knott's. (For laughs, check out the author photo credit...)

-jk

Ha! Small world. Tell Dan I've enjoyed the book, all the literal and metaphorical behind-the-scenes stuff. Would never have guessed most of it. But of course that's why he wrote the book, to tell the untold story!

Didn't know about the in-law thing, but your mentioning it gives me an excuse to ask a technical/definitional/picky question. Let's say female person A is the sister [duh] of female person B. Person B is married to male person C. This makes person A a sister-in-law to person C. Does that make male person D, the spouse of person A, also an in-law (i.e., brother-in-law) of person C? Or do we say that person D is a "brother-in-law by marriage" to person C?

Please provide detailed maps of the family trees of, say, 10 families, so I can get clear on this.

gumbomoop
05-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Just a note to say that I have begun a new thread to respond to BLPOG's post #58 above, so we can avoid further hijacking this Reading thread. Join the new thread, if you want to discuss slavery, secession, etc.

[Edit -- Uh, the title of this post should be "New thread." I'll blame it on AutoIncorrect.]

Jim3k
05-09-2016, 04:11 AM
Historical fiction/thrillers: Any of the Bernie Gunther novels by Philip Kerr. There are eleven now (I think). The most recent is The Other Side of Silence, issued this year. It might be best, though, to start with the earliest and work your way forward as they are written (almost) serially covering pre-War Germany up through 1956. Best spy novelist aside from Le Carre and Len Deighton. Amazing how the author fits his fiction to the historical facts.

BTW, I also just finished Le Carre's The Night Manager published 1993 which is currently being serialized on AMC.

throatybeard
05-11-2016, 10:06 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm sick of reading about the Civil War precisely because I'm southern. I know the basics, and a bit past. That's enough.

Without surfing too far over into PPB, I must say I'm too busy engaging with the 2016 manifestations of the same problems. 1861-65 can go sit in a corner coz we got our hands full now.

Mike Corey
05-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Just picked up "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" for the first time. Well, the second time. I picked it up in high school, read a page, and promptly returned it to a shelf.

Turk
05-11-2016, 12:39 PM

My youngest is a 9th grader now and I miss reading to the kids more than I can tell. Mrs. Turk still has quite an impressive collection of the most popular stories still memorized, but I have lost big chunks of my favorites by now. The young Turks are not amused if somehow this comes up in conversation and I try to dust something off, but we have entertained adult friends once or twice with this stunt as our Stupid Human Party Trick.

For variety, I would try on voices as I read, such as Montgomery Burns as the Star-Bellied Sneetches, Homer Simpson as the Plain-Bellied Sneetches, and Bill Clinton as Sylvester McMonkey McBean. Also, I used Thomas the Tank Engine to work on my posh British accent. Sometimes this was tolerated with a weary endurance; but most times, just annoyance: "Daddy, just read it in your *normal* voice!!"

The other thing I would do with the books I knew by heart is to keep reading the story without turning the pages and see how quickly they noticed. Once they picked up on that, I would let them decide who got to turn the pages. "Daddy, don't forget to turn the pages this time!!"

Lastly, there is a special category of books that the kids loved but we despised as mind-numbingly stupid, or too long to read in a single sitting. These were called "looking-at" books, and we would limit the number of those that could go into a stack to be read.

(P.S. At the risk of swerving into parenting PPB, we also never had a DVD player in the car for long trips, so they had to keep themselves occupied, usually with books or little games).

Highlander
05-11-2016, 03:46 PM
Recent Fun Reads:

"It's So Easy (and other Lies)" - Duff McKagan - I have read 3 biographies from the original G'n'R lineup, and this one is by far the best. What makes it so is not just the founding, rise, and fall of GnR, but what McKagan has done with his life since. A very driven individual with an incredible life story.

"The Last Great Game: Duke, Kentucky, and the 2.1 seconds that changed college basketball" by Gene Wojciechowski is also excellent. Does a great job of combining two equally compelling narratives.

"Armada" by Ernest Cline - had high hopes for this one after how much I loved "Ready Player One," but it largely falls flat. Kind of an Ender's Game meets The Last Starfighter tale.

Immensely enjoyed "A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson as well.

As to what is currently on my night stand:

"A Brief History of Time" - Steven Hawking - Not my usual fare, but so far it is pretty good. Hawking is excellent at breaking down complex scientific ideas and explaining them in a straightforward way. Not a quick read tho, unless you were a chemistry or physics major.

Rereading the Harry Potter series with my eldest on tape, narrated by Jim Dale. Excellent presentation if you like books on tape.

Trying to read "Crucial Conversations" as I have time, but it, like Hawking, has to be taken in small doses.

nocilla
05-12-2016, 08:39 AM
I have been on a classics tour. I recently read 'A Tale of Two Cities', 'The Grapes of Wrath' and ''East of Eden'.

I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series, in book 5 now.

I was intending to read 'The Count of Monte Christo' next but I received 'The Legends Club' and J-Will's autobiography for my birthday so they will be next.

luburch
05-31-2016, 10:09 AM
Finally got my hands on a copy of GoT. About 200-250 pages in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far!

Jarhead
05-31-2016, 03:13 PM
Historical fiction/thrillers: Any of the Bernie Gunther novels by Philip Kerr. There are eleven now (I think). The most recent is The Other Side of Silence, issued this year. It might be best, though, to start with the earliest and work your way forward as they are written (almost) serially covering pre-War Germany up through 1956. Best spy novelist aside from Le Carre and Len Deighton. Amazing how the author fits his fiction to the historical facts.

BTW, I also just finished Le Carre's The Night Manager published 1993 which is currently being serialized on AMC.

I just dropped into your John Le Carre and Len Deighton post from earlier this month. Sheer coincidence -- I just finished my second read of Charity, last in Deighton's Faith, Hope And Charity trilogy, and the final in his long list of trilogies. Also Mrs. Jarhead and I watched and enjoyed AMC's production of The Night Manager. A big well done to the producers. I have a pretty long list of old novels that I intend to reread as time goes on, but still enjoy modern novels of the type authored by David Baldacci or weirdly, Dean Koontz. During these times, when sports get less attention from me, and TV airs more slime on my screen, I look for more books to read. Of course, I still have the DBR to entertain me.

throatybeard
05-31-2016, 05:11 PM
6404 (http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Bird-Scholar-Essays-Poetry/dp/0674736567)

Jarhead
05-31-2016, 10:47 PM
Another author I am now reading -- I just stated this evening -- is John Fienstein's The Legends Club. A friend gave it to me, but I was hesitant to get involved. I have not read any of his books, but I started reading it earlier this evening, and decided to continue. So far it is a pretty easy read, and I am encouraged by his writing style thus far. So far, I have nothing to criticize.

budwom
06-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Two fine reads recently: Richard Russo's Everybody's Fool (I love all his stuff, Straight Man is a classic on the foibles of academia) and Stephanie Danler's
Sweetbitter, kind of a Kitchen Confidential for an ultra fancy restaurant's front of the house.

Doria
06-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Between home maintenance and work (the hazards of employment that runs on seasons), I've been pretty swamped, so I've been reading a lot of comics. However, I am eyeing Once in a Great City, which is a contemporary cultural history of Detroit. My mother gave it to me for Christmas, and I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm eager to, as I loved my two years in Detroit.

throatybeard
06-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Another author I am now reading -- I just stated this evening -- is John Fienstein's The Legends Club. A friend gave it to me, but I was hesitant to get involved. I have not read any of his books, but I started reading it earlier this evening, and decided to continue. So far it is a pretty easy read, and I am encouraged by his writing style thus far. So far, I have nothing to criticize.

Patience, friend.

rsvman
06-04-2016, 12:44 PM
"Cutting for Stone." Outstanding.

Jarhead
06-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Patience, friend.

The point has been reached where I've been thinking that my bookmark has betrayed me. For about a page I could have sworn that I had already read it. It is a puzzlement, but after several pages it happened again. I'll have to study this phenomenon.

madscavenger
06-07-2016, 05:21 AM
You start a book, get rolling, and then............well, life gets in the way. When you get back to it (if ever), most often large servings of rereading end up on the plate. Wash, rinse, repeat - you know what i mean. You don't? Am i the only one (well, crap)? Absent that, some other Jezebel drags you into its lair and BANG, before you know it you're in the clutches of something new. That's not to say books don't get finished, but that hasn't been the norm for a long time. All this drivel aside, here's the latest onslaught:

The Spirit of Enterprise - George Gilder
Gracie - George Burns
The Scandal of Money - George Gilder

{note any pattern here?}

and

Team of Teams - General Stanley McChrystal

dukebluesincebirth
06-07-2016, 09:54 AM
I've just been thinking I want to get into a good book this summer, as I haven't had much time to read lately between work and a new baby (and constantly reading DBR of course), so thanks for the thread! I really enjoyed The Secret Game by Scott Ellsworth a few months ago. I live near the ocean, and a friend recently recommended Blue Mind, a book that shows how humans being near, in, on, or under water makes us happier and healthier. I'm looking forward to that one. I'd also like to read something related to NC history. Any recommendations?

aimo
06-10-2016, 10:10 AM
I've just been thinking I want to get into a good book this summer, as I haven't had much time to read lately between work and a new baby (and constantly reading DBR of course), so thanks for the thread! I really enjoyed The Secret Game by Scott Ellsworth a few months ago. I live near the ocean, and a friend recently recommended Blue Mind, a book that shows how humans being near, in, on, or under water makes us happier and healthier. I'm looking forward to that one. I'd also like to read something related to NC history. Any recommendations?

Jimmy Carter's Hornet's Nest is historical fiction about the Revolutionary War. A lot takes place in NC. I learned more about NC's role in the war reading this book than I did in school.

luburch
07-21-2016, 01:21 PM
I've made it to the 4th Game of Thrones book. Slow start so far. I've heard the 4th and 5th books tend to drag a bit, though. 1 and 3 were my favorites so far.

gurufrisbee
07-21-2016, 01:25 PM
I've made it to the 4th Game of Thrones book. Slow start so far. I've heard the 4th and 5th books tend to drag a bit, though. 1 and 3 were my favorites so far.

I'm not sure if I would characterize it as dragging, but 4th and 5th were not nearly as good as the first three. The third book is the best, but I liked the 2nd more than the 1st (which gives you an idea of how disappointing it was to see the 4th drop after the steady increase for me).

I just finished Dog Stars. It was okay. Not great.

About to read Hamilton. Looks huge, but my dad read it and liked it.

DUKIECB
07-21-2016, 02:16 PM
I just finished the first Game of Thrones on Audiobook. If not for Audible I wouldn't read half as many books as I do. Finding time to read is a troublesome task for me but being able to listen in the car and at the gym really helps, especially for fiction. I tend to zone out too much for listening to non-fiction so generally read those types of titles.

Also, I finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King a few weeks back. It was really great. No horror or spookiness in the story. I would highly recommend it even if you think you don't like King. It's about a guy who, through time travel, has the opportunity to stop the assassination of JFK. My way of judging whether or not a fiction novel was good or not is if I am sad to finish it and I was completely bummed it was over.

Somewhere upthread someone mentioned Destiny of the Republic and I concur. Fantastic read!

Will read the second Game of Thrones book next. Thought the first one was good but not great but as others have said the second book is supposed to be better. We will see.

Doria
07-21-2016, 03:00 PM
On my vacation next week, I'm hoping to read a little (when I'm not working). I have Journey Under the Midnight Sun and Kizumonogatari (I ordered it, and unsure whether it was given an English title). I'm also hoping to get some writing of my own done, too.

diablesseblu
07-21-2016, 03:21 PM
Recently read "The Secret Game: A Wartime Story of Courage, Change, and Basketball's Lost Triumph." Found it well written and fascinating. I could not put it down. (Also, as a former history major, loved the 50+ pages of notes and the full index.)

Lots of insight into the history of Durham, Duke, Central, race relations, the time during WW II and the history of basketball. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0316244619/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

weezie
07-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Maybe mentioned upstream but despite it's being a popular hit, Barkskins by Annie Proulx is a terrific yarn. Perfect beach book.

nocilla
07-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I am currently reading a kids book, but am thoroughly impressed. My 13 year old son read it and recommended it to his mom and me.

It starts out like a fairy tale but then shifts to the 20th century. It develops 3 different storylines and then supposedly brings them together, although I haven't gotten to that point yet. My son and wife both really liked it which is why I am reading it, so I would recommend it to your young readers, as well as to the less-young readers.

The book is Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan.

Cormac
07-28-2016, 10:22 AM
I just finished Clash of Kings. I'm enjoying the series so far and I hope to finish it relatively soon so I can dig into the HBO version. Before I tackle Storm of Swords, I'm taking a break with Don Winslow's The Power of the Dog. I'm only about 70 pages in, but its fantastic so far. I have the more famous sequel, The Cartel, on my shelf as well. I believe Ridley Scott is set to direct the film version of that one. If you have any interest in a fictional take on the war on drugs from different points of view, I highly recommend checking this one out. The Cartel is loosely based on El Chapo. Its really good stuff, if you don't mind the violence. Winslow also wrote Savages which Oliver Stone directed.

devildeac
07-28-2016, 10:50 AM
When Breath Becomes Air-Paul Kalanithi

As an older physician, I've found this to be a fascinating look at life/death/mortality/medicine/philosophy/marriage/parenting, especially when viewed through the eyes of a young physician facing death from widely metastatic cancer at a way too early age.

duke79
07-28-2016, 04:12 PM
I know there was a separate thread on this book at some point, but I'm in the middle of John Feinstein's "The Legends Club", about Coach K, Dean, and Jimmy V. It was on the shelf of new non-fiction books at my local library and I thought..what the hell, I'll at least start to read it. So far, it is mildly interesting and entertaining and I have learned some stuff about the three coaches (and their respective basketball programs) that I did not know before. John is certainly not afraid to take Dean down a few notches (should we speak ill of the dead?) but no one is perfect, including Dean. I think JF does a good job at evoking the stress and insecurities that all big-time college (basketball or football) coaches must feel, from time to time. You realize what an insular world it really is, coaching at that level. So much of your success depends on convincing 16, 17 and 18 year-old kids to come play for you. Getting the right one or two kids at the right time can make or break your career.

pfrduke
07-28-2016, 04:55 PM
I just finished Clash of Kings. I'm enjoying the series so far and I hope to finish it relatively soon so I can dig into the HBO version. Before I tackle Storm of Swords, I'm taking a break with Don Winslow's The Power of the Dog. I'm only about 70 pages in, but its fantastic so far. I have the more famous sequel, The Cartel, on my shelf as well. I believe Ridley Scott is set to direct the film version of that one. If you have any interest in a fictional take on the war on drugs from different points of view, I highly recommend checking this one out. The Cartel is loosely based on El Chapo. Its really good stuff, if you don't mind the violence. Winslow also wrote Savages which Oliver Stone directed.

I enjoyed both of these - well written, engaging characters. Definitely heavy on the violence and I can imagine there are many Mexicans who are not pleased with how it depicts their country - my reaction to the books was that if Mexico is anything like that I want to stay far, far away. I know it's sensationalized, but yikes.

luburch
08-01-2016, 07:00 AM
Finished the fourth Game of Thrones last night. Thought it was the worst of the series so far and removing half the characters by splitting it in two seemed an odd choice to me. If I had to rank the books so far it would go: 3, 1, 2, 4. Hoping the 5th book bounces back a bit.

In the meantime I'm going to quickly read through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I got it early, last weekend, but since I was finishing GoT I haven't had the chance to look at it yet. Should be a quick read since it's in play format.

devildeac
08-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Alexander Hamilton-Ron Chernow

The book, not the musical. :o

This one will take a while at 732 pages. Fascinating start as I never knew he was an illegitimate child from the West Indies.

Cormac
08-01-2016, 07:36 AM
I enjoyed both of these - well written, engaging characters. Definitely heavy on the violence and I can imagine there are many Mexicans who are not pleased with how it depicts their country - my reaction to the books was that if Mexico is anything like that I want to stay far, far away. I know it's sensationalized, but yikes.

I'm sure its sensationalized. I'm sure it could be offensive too. But there's quite a bit of truth in there too. Its pretty clear he doesn't think highly of how we've handled this entire situation, but does seem to admire some of the agents on the ground. I follow Winslow on Twitter and it's clear that he's pretty passionate and focused on the War on Drugs, and not just for writing purposes. He links to a lot of articles with similarities to the violence depicted in his books, stories on agents killed in the line of duty, etc. His last one showed the prison "cell" of an incarcerated cartel leader. It had three rooms, flat screen Tvs, etc. Rough life.

luburch
08-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child last night. Quick read. Extremely different than anything else in the series and it was cheesy to boot. But it was new HP and I'll gladly welcome anything that is HP.

jjasper0729
08-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Just started Robert Bryce: Smaller, Faster, Lighter, Denser, Cheaper. Looks pretty interesting talking about the handful of innovations in the last couple of hundred years that have spurred innovation as well as how whenever someone or some group says we're going to run out of something, we find ways to get more and more. Pretty interesting reading.

Once I finish, I think I'll be moving on to The Progress Paradox

Billy Dat
08-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Fascinating start as I never knew he was an illegitimate child from the West Indies.

How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a
Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a
Forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence
Impoverished, in squalor
Grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

devildeac
08-02-2016, 02:01 PM
How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a
Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a
Forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence
Impoverished, in squalor
Grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

Sorry, no spoilers allowed on DBR :rolleyes: .

He was born with/developed an incredible desire to learn, got a huge break from one of his guardians and then sent to NY on a boat to study in America. (I'm only on page 72 as of last PM.) I'll send more updates as I progress. It is pretty amazing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Finished the fourth Game of Thrones last night. Thought it was the worst of the series so far and removing half the characters by splitting it in two seemed an odd choice to me. If I had to rank the books so far it would go: 3, 1, 2, 4. Hoping the 5th book bounces back a bit.

In the meantime I'm going to quickly read through Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I got it early, last weekend, but since I was finishing GoT I haven't had the chance to look at it yet. Should be a quick read since it's in play format.

You'd better hurry through the GRRRR Martin books so you will be ready for Winds of Winter.

***Eye roll***

I enjoyed the books immensely. Plowed through them one after another in a month or so. Will probably have to give myself a refresher sometime in the next ten years to get ready for the next book.

mph
08-03-2016, 08:59 AM
Just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It's the best novel I've read in quite some time. Just started Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance and so far it's very good.

Olympic Fan
08-03-2016, 01:06 PM
I just finished "The Millionaire and the Bard" by Andrea Mays. A fascinating look at the most important and valuable book ever published (well, with the possible exception of the Guttenberg Bible) -- First Folio of 1623. Combines a history of that publication with a mini-biography of William Clay Folger, the American who became the greatest collector of First Folios (and other Shakespeare material) in the world. Mays describes how a middle-class Amherst student acquired the wealth and expertise to assemble his amazing collection (82 First Folios ... the next largest single collection in the world is 13 copies).

I'm just starting Nigel Hamilton's "Commander in Chief", the second volume in his planned trilogy about FDR's war leadership. His first volume -- Mantle of Command -- was a superb examination of FDR's oft-overlooked and disparaged role as the architect of Allied military strategy in the early part of the war. Hamilton promises to explore the delicate battle between FDR and Churchill to shape the plans of the Allied armies for the crucial middle phase of the war -- especially the debate over the invasion of France. He points out that Churchill has always had the last word in that matter, since he survived the war to write HIS version of events (in a Nobel Prize winning history of WWII), while Roosevelt never got to put his version into print.

Devilwin
08-10-2016, 04:52 PM
H.G. Welles "The War Of The Worlds". Have seen both movies, they're ok, but the book is really fascinating. Got it on Kindle for 99 cents, can't lose at that price.

77devil
08-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Highly recommend Red Notice by William Browder. Reads like a spy thriller only its true. I'm currently reading A Cruel and Shocking Act by Phillip Shenon about the JFK assassination and the Warren Commission. There's some interesting evidence thus far that Oswald had links to Cuba, and good documentation of how quickly evidence disappeared as the vested interests in the government e.g. FBI, CIA, and the Commission itself hid elements of the truth to protect their reputations.

duke4ever19
08-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Reading 'In Search of Lost Time' by Marcel Proust. It's in seven volumes and I'm currently on the second. It's simply the greatest work I've ever read.

Duke79UNLV77
08-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Reading 'In Search of Lost Time' by Marcel Proust. It's in seven volumes and I'm currently on the second. It's simply the greatest work I've ever read.

I love "Remembrance of Things Past." That's a big task to read all seven volumes. More power to you!

rasputin
08-11-2016, 10:51 AM
I just finished 67 shots : Kent State and the end of American Innocence by Howard Means. Very interesting and informative, brought new insight to events that happened when I was not quite 13.

MartyClark
08-12-2016, 03:32 PM
The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. It's a fictional account of life in North Korea. Clever, tragic, and funny.

Jim3k
08-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Trading off between Siddhartha Mukherjee's The Gene, and Deborah Lipstadt's History on Trial. The first is science for ordinary folks. It is well written and engaging. Mukherjee is an excellent writer and presents the history of both biological science and genetics extremely well. Might call it Genetics for Idiots, but better written than any Idiot book. The second is Professor Lipstadt's account of the libel trial brought against her in the British courts by David Irving, whom she had accused of being a Holocaust Denier. The trial proved he was much worse than that. This work will become a film in September called Denial, starring Rachel Weisz. Lipstadt is an engaging writer who, consistent with her training as a historian, puts this thing together in a blend of personal and historical history. It's very well done. I'm almost through. I put down The Gene to read Lipstadt, but I'm not sure I made the right choice, both are so good. The Lipstadt is a much faster read.

Oddly, there is a crossover found here that I did not anticipate. Mukherjee discusses at length the pseudo-scientific efforts of the early 20th century to use heredity to create a stronger human through breeding--i.e., eugenics. He completely destroys the concept. Lipstadt, of course, had to deal with the Nazi version of eugenics, but does so only tangentially since she is writing about a libel suit. The Holocaust, which included not only pretense and fake science, was barbaric on a monstrous scale and Mukherjee is well aware of it.

Cormac
08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
I finished Power of the Dog, which I can't recommend enough. I'm starting A Storm of Swords and hooooo boy is this long, even by Martin's standards. I've read that this is the best of the series. Any board opinions on that? I've tried to avoid spoilers, which is getting increasingly difficult, but I believe this is the book with the infamous Red Wedding?

luburch
08-22-2016, 10:37 AM
I finished Power of the Dog, which I can't recommend enough. I'm starting A Storm of Swords and hooooo boy is this long, even by Martin's standards. I've read that this is the best of the series. Any board opinions on that? I've tried to avoid spoilers, which is getting increasingly difficult, but I believe this is the book with the infamous Red Wedding?

I'm currently on A Dance with Dragons (Book 5) and a Storm of Swords is by far the best of the series. Book 1 (A Game of Thrones) is a step down from book 3 (SoS) and books 2 (Clash of Kings) and 4 (Feast for Crows) are a step down from book 1. I'm still early in book 5, but so far it has been solid.

El_Diablo
08-22-2016, 12:22 PM

A Storm of Swords is my favorite. Enjoy!

Devilwin
08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Bitter Blood, by Jerry Bledsoe. Murder and family intrigue right here in NC. True story, I recall it when it went down.

Cormac
08-24-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm currently on A Dance with Dragons (Book 5) and a Storm of Swords is by far the best of the series. Book 1 (A Game of Thrones) is a step down from book 3 (SoS) and books 2 (Clash of Kings) and 4 (Feast for Crows) are a step down from book 1. I'm still early in book 5, but so far it has been solid.

A Storm of Swords is my favorite. Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm only about 100 pages deep, but its been good so far.

killerleft
08-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Mr. Nicholson may be known to some of you. He has sold over 500,000 books, and should probably write How to Sell EBooks for Dummies. Kindle has apparently been very kind to him. I bought his first published work, The Red Church, maybe 20 years ago after meeting him at a bookstore in Boone, NC.

If you like Stephen King or Dean Koontz, Scott will ably fill in while you're waiting for their next bestsellers. His After series, seven short novels long, is a neat telling of what will happen after the solar storm apocalypse turns most of us into Zapheads. I've pasted a link to the 'about Scott' section of his webpage, where he describes himself as an organic gardener who has successfully eluded stalkers.

The Red Church is a fine introduction to his work, and everything he's done is affordable.

http://www.authorscottnicholson.com/about-scott/

aimo
08-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Bitter Blood, by Jerry Bledsoe. Murder and family intrigue right here in NC. True story, I recall it when it went down.

Now read Before He Wakes, took place in Durham. I remember both events and knew a couple of people mentioned in Before He Wakes.

BTW, I just now finished reading The Girl on the Train. Saw trailers during the Olympics and knew I needed to get it done. Totally messed up, a la Gone Girl. Definitely makes you think twice about drinking!

Billy Dat
08-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Just finished Chuck Klosterman's latest, "But What if We're Wrong?" and I really enjoyed it. Disclaimer - I have read and enjoyed almost all of Klosterman's non-fiction books and essay collections. He's in his early-mid 40s and gained fame as a pop culture critic. In this book, he argues that most things that people believe during the time that they are alive are eventually proven to be false, so why not try to guess at which things we firmly believe now will be proven wrong in the next several hundred years. He tackles the big topics, the structure of the universe, the accuracy of recorded history, virtual reality, etc. but, remember, he's a pop culture critic and essayist so you are not getting the Neil Degrasse Tyson level of rigor, although NDT does make an appearance in the book.

brevity
08-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child last night. Quick read. Extremely different than anything else in the series and it was cheesy to boot. But it was new HP and I'll gladly welcome anything that is HP.

I've read this and kind of want to discuss it, in its own (spoiler) thread. Usually I resist starting new threads, but if there's interest, I will.

77devil
08-24-2016, 08:44 PM
Just finished Chuck Klosterman's latest, "But What if We're Wrong?" and I really enjoyed it. Disclaimer - I have read and enjoyed almost all of Klosterman's non-fiction books and essay collections. He's in his early-mid 40s and gained fame as a pop culture critic. In this book, he argues that most things that people believe during the time that they are alive are eventually proven to be false, so why not try to guess at which things we firmly believe now will be proven wrong in the next several hundred years. He tackles the big topics, the structure of the universe, the accuracy of recorded history, virtual reality, etc. but, remember, he's a pop culture critic and essayist so you are not getting the Neil Degrasse Tyson level of rigor, although NDT does make an appearance in the book.

I get nervous when a pop culture critic tackles the structure of the universe. Interestingly, a lot of the reviewers on Amazon love the author but not the book. Not sure I'll take the plunge.

luburch
08-25-2016, 06:50 AM
I've read this and kind of want to discuss it, in its own (spoiler) thread. Usually I resist starting new threads, but if there's interest, I will.

Based on the other HP threads we've had, I feel it's safe to say there would be an audience for it. Couple in the release of Cursed Child with the announcement of the three new e-books and there's certainly enough substance.

Jarhead
08-25-2016, 10:07 PM
My most recent reading has included my struggled reading of John Feinstein’s “The Legends Club” covering the careers of Coach K, Jimmy V and that Smith fellow from Chapel Hill. It sure packed in a lot of stuff, but it was slow reading, and that’s all I can say about. I read it because a friend had loaned it to me, and he got it back immediately. He didn’t seem to want it back, though.

After that I picked up an old paperback copy of Baldacci’s “The Collectors,” I believe the second of his Camel Club series. Fiction, of course, but a lot more fun. I read it in pretty short order. Just as I was completing it last Saturday, my persistent friend (he’s another Jarhead, of course) handed me a newer novel, “If I Forget You” by Thomas Christopher Greene, published this year. What a surprise.

My first reaction was that it was a romance novel. In many ways it was, but it didn’t really seem like a romance novel. It’s something I can’t explain. You’ll just have to read it to understand my problem. You’ll figure it out. The writing style of this novel’s author will bring you on board very soon after you start. Then you’ll understand. Mrs. Jarhead read in very short order, and agrees.

Devilwin
08-26-2016, 05:02 PM
My most recent reading has included my struggled reading of John Feinstein’s “The Legends Club” covering the careers of Coach K, Jimmy V and that Smith fellow from Chapel Hill. It sure packed in a lot of stuff, but it was slow reading, and that’s all I can say about. I read it because a friend had loaned it to me, and he got it back immediately. He didn’t seem to want it back, though.

After that I picked up an old paperback copy of Baldacci’s “The Collectors,” I believe the second of his Camel Club series. Fiction, of course, but a lot more fun. I read it in pretty short order. Just as I was completing it last Saturday, my persistent friend (he’s another Jarhead, of course) handed me a newer novel, “If I Forget You” by Thomas Christopher Greene, published this year. What a surprise.

My first reaction was that it was a romance novel. In many ways it was, but it didn’t really seem like a romance novel. It’s something I can’t explain. You’ll just have to read it to understand my problem. You’ll figure it out. The writing style of this novel’s author will bring you on board very soon after you start. Then you’ll understand. Mrs. Jarhead read in very short order, and agrees.

Semper Fi, Brother!

SoCalDukeFan
08-28-2016, 11:36 PM
Recently read "The Secret Game: A Wartime Story of Courage, Change, and Basketball's Lost Triumph." Found it well written and fascinating. I could not put it down. (Also, as a former history major, loved the 50+ pages of notes and the full index.)

Lots of insight into the history of Durham, Duke, Central, race relations, the time during WW II and the history of basketball. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0316244619/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just finished The Secret Game and recommend it highly

SoCal

alteran
08-29-2016, 10:01 AM
You'd better hurry through the GRRRR Martin books so you will be ready for Winds of Winter.

***Eye roll***

I enjoyed the books immensely. Plowed through them one after another in a month or so. Will probably have to give myself a refresher sometime in the next ten years to get ready for the next book.

10 years?!?!?!

So, you're an optimist? :-)

budwom
08-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Terry McDonell's The Accidental Life is wonderfully written by a man who got to edit some of America's greatest (and most interesting) writers...I'm barely into it
at this point, but already fine tales of Edward Abbey, Hunter S. Thompson, George Plimpton, Jim Harrison and many more. Tremendously entertaining...

SoCalDukeFan
09-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Highly recommend Red Notice by William Browder. Reads like a spy thriller only its true. I'm currently reading A Cruel and Shocking Act by Phillip Shenon about the JFK assassination and the Warren Commission. There's some interesting evidence thus far that Oswald had links to Cuba, and good documentation of how quickly evidence disappeared as the vested interests in the government e.g. FBI, CIA, and the Commission itself hid elements of the truth to protect their reputations.

I also highly recommend Red Notice by Bill Browder.

SoCal

devildeac
09-27-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm still reading Hamilton, the book, not the lyrics for the musical. :o :rolleyes:

Fascinating and educational but man, almost 700 pages. I think I have about 200 pages to go.

Ggallagher
09-27-2016, 02:34 PM
It is a whopper of a book, but I felt like it was definitely worth reading. I just hadn't previously appreciated the impact Hamilton had on the country's creation - including events as recent as the Cuban missile crisis. (And for those who haven't read the book, the Coast Guard regulations that Hamilton wrote were the same guidelines used to deal with the ships bringing missiles into Cuba).

Way to cover all the bases Alex!

An interesting sequel to this book is "The Quartet" by Joseph Ellis. I'm about halfway through it now. It covers the impact that Hamilton, Washington, Jay and Madison had in moving the Unites States (plural, not singular) from their situation at the end of the Revolution to the Constitutional Convention.

devildeac
09-27-2016, 03:02 PM
It is a whopper of a book, but I felt like it was definitely worth reading. I just hadn't previously appreciated the impact Hamilton had on the country's creation - including events as recent as the Cuban missile crisis. (And for those who haven't read the book, the Coast Guard regulations that Hamilton wrote were the same guidelines used to deal with the ships bringing missiles into Cuba).

Way to cover all the bases Alex!

An interesting sequel to this book is "The Quartet" by Joseph Ellis. I'm about halfway through it now. It covers the impact that Hamilton, Washington, Jay and Madison had in moving the Unites States (plural, not singular) from their situation at the end of the Revolution to the Constitutional Convention.

Totally agree with the "worth reading" part. I'll try to read several passages/sections daily but accomplished nothing of the sort the last 10-12 days while on vacation. Thomas Jefferson is portrayed as quite the SOB in this book.

fuse
09-27-2016, 05:09 PM
I'm still reading Hamilton, the book, not the lyrics for the musical. :o :rolleyes:

Fascinating and educational but man, almost 700 pages. I think I have about 200 pages to go.

I didn't know they printed book pages on beer labels :rolleyes:

devildeac
09-27-2016, 05:14 PM
I didn't know they printed book pages on beer labels :rolleyes:

Lol. Have you ever read the back of any of the Arrogant Bastard series bottles? (Technically not a label but my word, those folks are loquacious.)

Billy Dat
09-28-2016, 07:08 AM
I just finished "Powerhouse: The Untold Story of Hollywood's Creative Artists Agency" by James Andrew Miller. Miller specializes in oral histories and his previous two mammoth offerings were on Saturday Night Live and ESPN.

I am a fan of non-fiction about Hollywood, from the creative personalities to the business side, so this was in my interest wheelhouse. There is enough material to fill 700 pages but I am not sure that it was all needed. After a while, there is only so much you can read about deals that were made, almost made, or not made, but it does give you a lot of insight into how television shows and films get the green light in the modern age (1980 and beyond). But, because agents are protective of their clients, there isn't a lot of dirt to be shared which limits the salacious appeal of such a book.

duke74
09-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Just finished Peter Bernstein's "Against the Gods." I assigned it to my intro Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) students, so I thought that it would be good to (re)read it myself. 😀

A classic in the field, by a well respected scholar. Deals with the time line" of the development of the theories and concepts that helped define today's ERM by looking at the individuals involved. Interesting progression of thought. From the ancients (fate determines the future, not one's decisions) to the development of probability and decision theory to portfolio theory.

Only issue is publication in 1996 (updated version 1998). Significant events since then of course affecting ability to forecast (black swan events, etc)

Reilly
09-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Finished "Silence" by Shusako Endo, about the Japanese persecution of Christians in the 1600s. Martin Scorsese has directed a movie based on the novel; I believe the movie may be released later this year. I found the book very thought-provoking, a bit unsettling/disturbing in its intensity, a bit bleak, and worth reading.

MartyClark
09-28-2016, 03:37 PM
" Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, The Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World" by Roger Crowley. Sea battles in the 1520's that stopped the Ottoman advance into Europe. Well written and timely.

I previously read "1453" by the same author, an account of the conquest of Constantinople.

I highly recommend both books.

Olympic Fan
09-28-2016, 04:23 PM
" Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, The Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World" by Roger Crowley. Sea battles in the 1520's that stopped the Ottoman advance into Europe. Well written and timely.

I previously read "1453" by the same author, an account of the conquest of Constantinople.

I highly recommend both books.

Empires of the Sea is an amazing book ... I strongly concur in your recommendation.

I was recently given a copy of Rising Sun, Falling Skies by Jeffrey Cox -- a detailed, balanced (and well-documented account) is the campaign in the Southwest Pacific in the first months of the war. It's a heartbreaking read in many ways, to see the sacrifice of the out-numbered and unsupported soldiers, sailors and fliers in the Philippines, Singapore, Java and the surrounding area. Worse was the inept leadership they endured -- anyone still admiring MacArthur needs to read this ... a very fair account of how he botched the defense of the Philippines (and then tried to blame everybody else). Where Cox really excels is in capturing the heroism of the men who held the line in the first months of war and against all odds, delayed the Japanese onslaught long enough for the Allies to recover in the late spring of 1942.

The best WWI book I've read since Shattered Sword.

Cormac
10-10-2016, 12:02 PM
I finished A Storm of Swords. I really enjoyed it and agree with most that it's been the best in the series so far. I'm taking a break from Westeros, and going back to Mexico with Don Winslow's The Cartel. When I finish this one, I plan on reading A Feast of Crows next. I'm hearing not so good things about it though, like some of the most popular characters aren't even in the book. A Dance with Dragons is sitting on my shelf too. I'd say I need to hurry up and finish it so I'll be ready for the next one, but we all know that's not coming any time soon.

DUKIECB
11-29-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm 3/4 of the way through Team of Rivals, the book that Spielberg's Lincoln was based on. It is long but I have found it fascinating to learn about why Lincoln chose his own political rivals to be in his cabinet and how that shaped his presidency. Lincoln was such an interesting character and an amazing leader. His story is almost unbelievable that he came from such humble beginnings to reach the pinnacle of American politics and become one of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen.

But the book goes so much further than Lincoln. The men he chose, mainly his political rivals, to be in his cabinet are chronicled in great detail and you really feel like you were there in the White House during those tense moments when the future of the union hung by a thread.

I am almost sad for it to come to an end, even with it's almost 1,000 page length.

rasputin
11-29-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm 3/4 of the way through Team of Rivals, the book that Spielberg's Lincoln was based on. It is long but I have found it fascinating to learn about why Lincoln chose his own political rivals to be in his cabinet and how that shaped his presidency. Lincoln was such an interesting character and an amazing leader. His story is almost unbelievable that he came from such humble beginnings to reach the pinnacle of American politics and become one of the greatest leaders the world has ever seen.

But the book goes so much further than Lincoln. The men he chose, mainly his political rivals, to be in his cabinet are chronicled in great detail and you really feel like you were there in the White House during those tense moments when the future of the union hung by a thread.

I am almost sad for it to come to an end, even with it's almost 1,000 page length.

Since you are enjoying Team of Rivals so much, you might like The Bully Pulpit as well. It's about Teddy Roosevelt, and Taft, and the press.

DUKIECB
11-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Since you are enjoying Team of Rivals so much, you might like The Bully Pulpit as well. It's about Teddy Roosevelt, and Taft, and the press.Yep, I saw that Kearns Goodwin wrote that one as well. Might have to put it on my list.

devildeac
11-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Finally finished Hamilton, the book, not the CD or Broadway show :o . Almost finished Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.

MNBlueDevil4
11-30-2016, 02:44 PM
Anybody read any books by Vince Flynn?

Action packed books that follow counter terrorism agent 'Mitch Rapp.'

They are currently filming a movie about one of the books. Actors include Michael Keaton, Dylan O'brien (Maze Runner), and Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights).

Billy Dat
11-30-2016, 04:41 PM
In the run-up to the election, I read JD Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy". Since the election, it has been criticized as a poor primer for the "liberal elites" to better understand the rest of the country, but I found it enlightening and interesting. Vance has been writing a bunch of the NY Times along the same lines.

Bob Green
12-01-2016, 10:02 AM
...you might like The Bully Pulpit as well. It's about Teddy Roosevelt, and Taft, and the press.

I looked up The Bully Pulpit and read a NY Times article on it. The book sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation.

tbyers11
12-01-2016, 10:28 AM
In the run-up to the election, I read JD Vance's "Hillbilly Elegy". Since the election, it has been criticized as a poor primer for the "liberal elites" to better understand the rest of the country, but I found it enlightening and interesting. Vance has been writing a bunch of the NY Times along the same lines.

I just finished Hillbilly Elegy. I'm roughly the same age (about 5 years older) than Vance and have some of the same perspectives as Vance from dirt poor rural Wisconsin (grandparents) to middle-class urban (parents) to hobnobbing with elite (myself going to Duke for undergrad). Without getting too much into the PP domain, his points about no simple answer for fixing the rust belt economy (it's not as simple as being told to work harder) and the contrast of the lack of personal responsibility from poor, rural whites who have been down for generations do ring true to a degree.

Definitely an interesting read.

Mike Corey
12-01-2016, 10:53 AM
I just finished Hillbilly Elegy. I'm roughly the same age (about 5 years older) than Vance and have some of the same perspectives as Vance from dirt poor rural Wisconsin (grandparents) to middle-class urban (parents) to hobnobbing with elite (myself going to Duke for undergrad). Without getting too much into the PP domain, his points about no simple answer for fixing the rust belt economy (it's not as simple as being told to work harder) and the contrast of the lack of personal responsibility from poor, rural whites who have been down for generations do ring true to a degree.

Definitely an interesting read.

Currently, I am reading Paul Beatty's The Sellout. I've then got a list of books to zip through that I think will be instructive in bracing for what's to come. Hillbilly is on my list of books to read accordingly, and your endorsement puts it over the top.

Meanwhile, the New York Times released its list of the 10 best books of the year (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/01/books/review/10-best-books-of-2016.html?_r=0).

duke74
12-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Just finished "Why They Do It; Inside the Mind of the White-Collar Criminal" by Eugene Soltes, a Harvard Business School professor.

His question: What drives some of the highest-profile financial crooks to commit their fraud? Interviewed Madoff, Koslowski, Stanford, Fastow and others - a rogues gallery of perpetrators.

I thought it a fascinating piece of work and was a bit surprised by some of his conclusions, including one that they did not consider a cost/benefit analysis of their actions (i.e., the benefits to be realized vs. the cost - jail, censure, shame, etc.) prior to acting. Calls into question the effectiveness of the "perp walk" - a Rudy Giuliani specialty - in deterring white collar crime.

I think I will be assigning this book to the students next semester in my graduate "Accounting Ethics and Professionalism" class at St. John's. Should provide for interesting discussions.

Tommac
12-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Anybody read any books by Vince Flynn?

Action packed books that follow counter terrorism agent 'Mitch Rapp.'

They are currently filming a movie about one of the books. Actors include Michael Keaton, Dylan O'brien (Maze Runner), and Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights).

I've read all the Vince Flynn books and can't wait to see the movie. I just finished Harlan Coben's book Home. This book contains by favorite Coben character, Myron Bolitar, a former Duke basketball player who becomes a sports agent/investigator. Great read.

YmoBeThere
12-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Tramps like us, baby we were... Born To Run. The Springsteen book of that name, not the one about the Tarahumara Indians. Just getting started on it.

Bob Green
12-16-2016, 04:06 PM
I looked up The Bully Pulpit and read a NY Times article on it. The book sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm 200 pages into The Bully Pulpit and am really enjoying it!

devildeac
12-16-2016, 04:59 PM
Just finished Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Fascinating story of a war about which I knew very, very little and how our Navy was basically launched. Bob Green might enjoy this one ;) .

Bob Green
12-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Just finished Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates. Fascinating story of a war about which I knew very, very little and how our Navy was basically launched. Bob Green might enjoy this one ;) .

Based on your recommendation, I went to Barnes and Noble and purchased Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates along with Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin. Gift cards - I love it when I get gift cards as my present.

Duke79UNLV77
01-01-2017, 09:49 PM
I believe Edward P. Jones (The Known World), Paul Harding (Tinkers), Junot Diaz (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao) and Adam Johnson (The Orphan Master's Son) have written a grand total of just 4 novels combined. And won 4 Pulitzer Prizes. I'm fairly early on in Johnson'a book, but find it brilliant, like those of the others, so far. If they could just be a bit more prolific, the future of American literature is in great minds.

Tommac
01-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Just finished Home by Harlan Coben and am in the middle of Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel called Night School.

fuse
01-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Just finished Joe Hill's The Fireman.
Stephen King's son, he is an accomplished author in his own right.
Horns, Heart Shaped Box, and NOS4A2 are also excellent.

I wouldn't say the movie adaptation of Horns was a great movie.
I did enjoy watching it nonetheless.

Duke79UNLV77
01-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Coincidentally, I saw Stephen King at the Duke-Carolina game in 1992. He brought "The Catcher in the Rye" in with him, though I doubt he got much reading done. The house was rocking!

weezie
01-03-2017, 10:31 PM
I believe Edward P. Jones (The Known World), Paul Harding (Tinkers), Junot Diaz (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao) and Adam Johnson (The Orphan Master's Son) have written a grand total of just 4 novels combined. And won 4 Pulitzer Prizes...

Geebus! We think alike! I've read the four and couldn't agree more. Now I'll take your next recommendation!

Oh, right now reading The Gustav Sonata by Rose Tremain.

devildeac
01-03-2017, 10:36 PM
About halfway through Jon Meacham's American Lion. Fascinating.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Re-reading John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany" after watching The OA on Netflix. One of my favorite books of all time.

accfanfrom1970
01-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Tramps like us, baby we were... Born To Run. The Springsteen book of that name, not the one about the Tarahumara Indians. Just getting started on it.

Just finished Born to Run....excellent read. Especially about the earlier years. Different time
and world without social media.

DUKIECB
01-04-2017, 08:41 AM
After reading Team of Rivals, which I loved, I am continuing in the civil war genre by reading Battlecry of Freedom by James McPherson. This is considered by many to be the best single volume book on the war. I am over 1/4 through it and the first shot at Fort Sumter hasn't even been fired yet! This has been an educating experience to learn of all the different nuances and events that ultimately led to the war.

luburch
01-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Finally got around to finishing off the Game of Thrones series. Well, until the next book comes out in 20 years.

Cormac
01-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Finally got around to finishing off the Game of Thrones series. Well, until the next book comes out in 20 years.

I'm still slogging my way through A Feast for Crows. I'm 200 pages in and finding this one a bit more of a drag than the others. Especially since book 3 was quite enjoyable.

gus
01-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Re-reading John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany" after watching The OA on Netflix. One of my favorite books of all time.

GREAT BOOK -- FAR BETTER THAN THE MOVIE THAT IT INSPIRED.

I just finished "Station Eleven" by Emily St John Mandel. It's not ground breaking fiction, but it is written really well, balancing multiple (but related) story lines spanning several locations and time frames. It's one of the better post apocalypse stories I've seen recently.

devildeac
01-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Just finished Born to Run...excellent read. Especially about the earlier years. Different time
and world without social media.

Mrs. dd gave me that book for Christmas and I'll read that after finishing American Lion.

budwom
01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Halfway thru Michael Chabon's most excellent Moonglow...I like all his stuff.

Doria
01-04-2017, 04:36 PM

He's an excellent writer, IMO. I loved 20th Century Ghosts (short story collection, of which the eponymous story is the best) and Heart Shaped Box. For graphic novel fans, or those who don't mind reading a good story in GN format, Locke & Key is great, too. I just got the collected set for Christmas. I'm eagerly awaiting it to be mailed to me from NC, since if I'd tried to carry it back on the plane, I think I'd be in the hospital right now--it weighs as much as I do.

I believe Hill has written a couple short ebook novellas with his father, as well.

mgtr
01-04-2017, 04:42 PM
My recent reading:

The Clifton Chronicles (7 volumes) Jeffrey Archer A great storyteller!
Think Like a Freak Steven Levitt
Astoria Peter Stark
Empty Mansions Bill Dedmon
Dean and Me Jerry Lewis
The Legendary Mizners Alva Johnston

All different, and all interesting to me. I would also add anything by Isaac Asimov.

El_Diablo
01-04-2017, 06:03 PM

Finished? Psssh. There's still the prequel novellas:

The Rogue Prince
The Princess and the Queen
The Hedge Knight
The Sworn Sword
The Mystery Knight

Mike Corey
01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Re-visiting The Plot Against America.

fuse
01-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Started Girl on a Train.
Does the writing get any better?
Have heard the story is good, and I have not seen the movie.

The writing through the first two chapters is plodding.

luburch
01-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Started Girl on a Train.

I thought it was fine. Quick, fun read.

Doria
01-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Started Girl on a Train.

What you see is what you get with the writing. Which I'd describe as workmanlike. The story is fine, albeit a bit predictable. I will note, however, that because I mostly read before going to sleep, I have been unable to finish it entirely because it puts me to sleep; whether that's a good thing I leave to you to decide.

Olympic Fan
01-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Jefferson and the Pirates was okay, but if you are really interested in the Barbary Wars (and the birth of the US Navy), can I suggest Glenn Tucker's 1963 book Dawn Like Thunder, which is the definitive coverage of the subject. Maybe because of the success of the Jefferson/Pirates book, Tucker's book was recently re-issued and is available on Kindle.

I visited a used bookstore in Southport over the holidays and found a couple of gems:

Bill Sloan's Given Up for Dead (published in 2003) is the definitive account of the defense of Wake Island in December 1941. Believe me, I thought I knew this story well, but Sloan's detail account goes far beyond anything I've ever read. Freaking amazing story ... heartbreaking too. Sloan not only tells the story of the Wake Island battle, but he follows his heroes through captivity and the horrors they faced over the next four years.

Also, I enjoyed Bill Yenne's Aces High (2009), which is a dual biography of Richard Bong and Tommy McGuire -- America's two leading fighting aces in WWII. Amazingly similar stories -- both flew P-38s over New Guinea (and later the Philippines). Their duel for No. 1 was almost like the Mantle-Maris home run race in 1961.

If you prefer history to fiction, I think these are all good choices.

devildeac
01-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Jefferson and the Pirates was okay, but if you are really interested in the Barbary Wars (and the birth of the US Navy), can I suggest Glenn Tucker's 1963 book Dawn Like Thunder, which is the definitive coverage of the subject. Maybe because of the success of the Jefferson/Pirates book, Tucker's book was recently re-issued and is available on Kindle.

I visited a used bookstore in Southport over the holidays and found a couple of gems:

Bill Sloan's Given Up for Dead (published in 2003) is the definitive account of the defense of Wake Island in December 1941. Believe me, I thought I knew this story well, but Sloan's detail account goes far beyond anything I've ever read. Freaking amazing story ... heartbreaking too. Sloan not only tells the story of the Wake Island battle, but he follows his heroes through captivity and the horrors they faced over the next four years.

Also, I enjoyed Bill Yenne's Aces High (2009), which is a dual biography of Richard Bong and Tommy McGuire -- America's two leading fighting aces in WWII. Amazingly similar stories -- both flew P-38s over New Guinea (and later the Philippines). Their duel for No. 1 was almost like the Mantle-Maris home run race in 1961.

If you prefer history to fiction, I think these are all good choices.

Thanks! Christmas gifts were Killing the Rising Sun and Born to Run so I'll get through those in the next couple months. Then, it's almost birthday time...

DUKIECB
01-12-2017, 08:53 AM
Anyone read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? The summary seems appealing to me. Opinions?

rasputin
01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Has anyone here read the memoirs of President Grant? If so, was it worthwhile?

Olympic Fan
01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Has anyone here read the memoirs of President Grant? If so, was it worthwhile?

I read it a while ago and thought it was brilliant -- but it might be a little heavy going unless you are a real history buff.

However, for a more general audience ... you might try a new book, Grant's Final Victory by Charles Flood.

Shortly after Grant learned that he had been wiped out financially in 1884, the ex-President found out that he had terminal throat and mouth cancer. He used his last months to write his memoirs, in increasing pain -- a race to finish before his death. He made it in the nick of time, the book was published by Mark Twain of all people and became one of the best sellers of the late 19th century ... making enough money to restore his family's finances.

Flood argues that the memoirs had significant impact in healing the nation's wounds. Definitely worth reading.

Bostondevil
01-12-2017, 01:44 PM
1606: The Year of Lear by James Shapiro is a fantastic read.

Also reading My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout for my book club.

JNort
01-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Started Girl on a Train.

I found the whole book to be poorly written tbh. Only 4 characters in the book and none of them you will ever like. I hated each one so why should I care what happens to any of them?

Gone Girl is pretty good though.

I'm currently reading The Stormlight Archives and at the same time trying to read The Black Company

throatybeard
01-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Michael Lewis, The Undoing Project.

Consequently, Daniel Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow.

H Samy Alim (ed), Raciolinguistics .

devildeac
01-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Born to Run

El_Diablo
01-25-2017, 09:35 PM

Mike Corey
01-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Same. It's now sold out on Amazon, funnily enough.

devildeac
01-26-2017, 05:19 PM
Born to Run. The book, not the album/CD. :p

nmduke2001
01-26-2017, 06:09 PM
The subtle art of not giving a f*ck.

Halfway through.

Jim3k
03-08-2017, 03:27 AM
Citizens of London. This is a helluva modern history. Written by Lynne Olson and published in 2010, it is the exhaustive and exhilarating story of three major American figures who had official duties in London from 1940 through the end of the War.

Although Edward R. Murrow and Averell Harriman are given star treatment, the headliner is John Gilbert (Gil) Winant. We think we know about Murrow and Harriman (we don't, really) but Winant is a forgotten giant of the time. Olson makes sure he gets his due in this volume.

Insofar as the book is concerned, Winant is the American engine who created the run-up to our entry into the war. A former governor of New Hampshire, he had held several public offices for FDR. In early 1941, he replaced Joseph Kennedy as US ambassador to Great Britain. Unlike the isolationist Kennedy, who had no problems with appeasement and who thought England had already lost the war, Winant had other ideas. He became a great friend of Churchill and a serious advocate for England in its plight. Olson makes a strong case for Winant as a WW II hero. The UK eventually gave him a number of high decorations for his service. Two years after the war ended, his death qualified him as a victim of PTSD before anyone knew there was such a thing.

Another figure she finds is Tommy Hitchcock. A WW I ace fighter pilot and international polo player obsessed by speed and competition, he is credited with convincing both governments to add the P-51 fighter plane to the air arsenal. This was a difficult task as the military bigwigs in Washington didn't think they needed it and did not cotton to its British origin/design, even though North American Aviation was its principal builder. But there was no long range fighter which could protect the bombers over Germany--until the P-51s proved it could be done. The Nazi planes were driven from the sky well before D-Day in large part due to Hitchcock's perseverance together with Winant's support.

The stories of Murrow and Harriman are equally compelling. Murrow's is the best known. She does a nice job with it. But Harriman transformed himself from millionaire playboy (and railroad magnate) to a jack of all trades during the war. Starting out as a wartime dilettante he became a major advisor to four presidents, converting himself from lend-lease administrator to self-appointed European envoy for FDR, who eventually named him US ambassador to the Soviet Union. Like Winant, he became a close friend of Churchill. After the war, he ran for president twice and was later elected governor of New York for one term. Amazing career.

Churchill, Eisenhower and Stalin all play major roles here. As far as I can tell, Olson is a faithful historian to the War, but the book serves as a more personal history of the War than standard studies do. It's a different angle and well worth reading if WW II fascinates you.

Olympic Fan
03-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Citizens of London. This is a helluva modern history. Written by Lynne Olson and published in 2010, it is the exhaustive and exhilarating story of three major American figures who had official duties in London from 1940 through the end of the War.

Although Edward R. Murrow and Averell Harriman are given star treatment, the headliner is John Gilbert (Gil) Winant. We think we know about Murrow and Harriman (we don't, really) but Winant is a forgotten giant of the time. Olson makes sure he gets his due in this volume.

Insofar as the book is concerned, Winant is the American engine who created the run-up to our entry into the war. A former governor of New Hampshire, he had held several public offices for FDR. In early 1941, he replaced Joseph Kennedy as US ambassador to Great Britain. Unlike the isolationist Kennedy, who had no problems with appeasement and who thought England had already lost the war, Winant had other ideas. He became a great friend of Churchill and a serious advocate for England in its plight. Olson makes a strong case for Winant as a WW II hero. The UK eventually gave him a number of high decorations for his service. Two years after the war ended, his death qualified him as a victim of PTSD before anyone knew there was such a thing.

Another figure she finds is Tommy Hitchcock. A WW I ace fighter pilot and international polo player obsessed by speed and competition, he is credited with convincing both governments to add the P-51 fighter plane to the air arsenal. This was a difficult task as the military bigwigs in Washington didn't think they needed it and did not cotton to its British origin/design, even though North American Aviation was its principal builder. But there was no long range fighter which could protect the bombers over Germany--until the P-51s proved it could be done. The Nazi planes were driven from the sky well before D-Day in large part due to Hitchcock's perseverance together with Winant's support.

The stories of Murrow and Harriman are equally compelling. Murrow's is the best known. She does a nice job with it. But Harriman transformed himself from millionaire playboy (and railroad magnate) to a jack of all trades during the war. Starting out as a wartime dilettante he became a major advisor to four presidents, converting himself from lend-lease administrator to self-appointed European envoy for FDR, who eventually named him US ambassador to the Soviet Union. Like Winant, he became a close friend of Churchill. After the war, he ran for president twice and was later elected governor of New York for one term. Amazing career.

Churchill, Eisenhower and Stalin all play major roles here. As far as I can tell, Olson is a faithful historian to the War, but the book serves as a more personal history of the War than standard studies do. It's a different angle and well worth reading if WW II fascinates you.

I love Olson's work. I first ran across her in 2003 with A Question of Honor, a history of the refugee Polish squadron that helped turn the tide in the Battle of Britain -- and how their contribution was ignored and covered up by the British government (which didn't want to antagonize the Russians in the days after WWII).

I also enjoyed her 2007 book Troublesome Young Men, a study of the small group of Tory radicals who forced Churchill into a leadership position in the early days of WWII.

My favorite Lynne Olson book is her 2013 book Those Angry Days, about the political war between FDR and Charles Lindbergh -- a great study of the battle over how America should respond to Britain's plight in 1940-41.

I'm sure that touches on Citizens of London, which I have not read yet.

You raise a couple of points that I want to explore --

(1) The genesis of the P-51 ... it was NOT a British design. What happened was that the British Purchasing Commission wanted to buy the Curtiss P-40 (the plane made famous by the Flying Tigers). But the Curtiss assembly line was running 24 hours a day and every plane off the line was committed -- most to the US Army Air Force. The British came up with the idea of getting the P-40 licensed to North American Aviation, which had idle assembly lines. It was North American Aviation that convinced the British to purchase their design instead -- the experimental NA73X was a radical new design with several revolutionary features, especially the laminar flow airfoils (designed in conjunction with the NACA, the forerunner to NASA).

The only problem with the North American design with the engine -- an Allison engine with a single-stage supercharger. With the Allison engine, the new plane was very good at low altitude, but not suited for the high-altitude role it would need as a bomber escort. The British loved the design and used their first purchases as fighter bombers and as photo recon birds.

It was only when the British experimented with the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine that the P-51 became the best (piston-driven) fighter plane of WWII. The blending of the American air frame and the British engine is what made the P-51 great.

I want to read about what Olson says about the problems you mention with big wigs in Washington not needing or wanting the North American plane. That actually helped the British early in that there was strong resistance in Washington to selling the British ANY American planes -- not only did we need them for our own rearmament, many powerful men believed Britain was doomed and it wasn't smart to throw weapons we needed in a lost cause. The low regard for the early P-51s actually helped the British pry the unwanted planes from the American establishment. And as for the need for a long-range fighter escort, it wasn't until well into 1942 that the Army Air Force acknowledged the need for such a plane. Before then, they believed that the heavily armed American bombers, packed in tight formations, had little to fear from German fighters. It didn't take long to find out they were wrong -- but luckily, North American -- with British help -- had the P-51 ready when we needed it.

(2) I am very interested to read Olson's portrait of Winant, because it doesn't gibe with what I think I know.

He is an interesting man yes -- he had an affair with Churchill's daughter, his son was shot down in a bomber over German and spent much of the war in a Luft Stalag. After the war, Winant was depressed that his marriage was failing, his affair with Sarah Churchill was ending badly and he failed to get appointed secretary general of the new UN -- so he killed himself.

The problem I have is that nothing I've heard or read indicates that Winant was an especially important man in our dealings with Churchill and the British. He was immensely popular in Britain, especially when he first arrived in the spring of 1941. But that was because he was seen by the British as an expression of FDR's support for the British war effort. I'm not sure Winant played much of a role in guiding that support. FDR preferred to work outside the State Department -- Winant was no more important than Joe Kennedy. The key man for FDR was Harry Hopkins ... he was the man FDR sent to London to decide whether America should cast its lot with the British or stay on its own side of the Atlantic and look to or own defense. It was Hopkins who sold FDR on the idea that Britain would stay in the war and fight to the end -- with our help. A year later, it was Hopkins who traveled to Moscow and made the same determination about the Russians-- at a time when our military leaders were unanimous in their opinion that the Soviet Union would collapse in weeks.

I think Harriman was an important envoy for FDR. But I'm not sure what Winant did ... other than function as a symbol of American support. He wasn't even the go-between for FDR and Churchill -- they dealt with each other directly.

I look forward to reading Olson's book -- and seeing if she can change my view of Winant's role in London.

PS If you are interested in this subject, may I suggest you read Michael Fullilove's Rendezvous with Destiny, which explores FDR's use of unconventional diplomatic emissaries and has a particularly good account of Hopkins' pivotal mission in early 1941.

Jim3k
03-09-2017, 02:13 AM
One person Olson does not mention, probably because he was not a Londoner per se, is Sir William Stephenson ("Man Called Intrepid") who may have been more influential with FDR than even Harry Hopkins. But he was a spook and, aside from the "Intrepid" book, not much is really known about him. We do know he was an FDR-Churchill go-between both before and during the war. We also know that FDR was reluctant to enter, probably looking for an incident to justify it, and in a politically difficult position due to the Nation's isolationist Congress. Communications lines needed to be opened between him and Churchill. She asserts that Winant was one of those channels.

PSurprise
03-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Just finished The Agony & The Ecstasy again. Still a great book. Now reading I,Claudius. An interesting read but I'm not quite as engaged. I'll probably pick up Claudius the God when I'm through however.

RPS
03-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Citizens of London.Although Edward R. Murrow and Averell Harriman are given star treatment...

In the seventies I was invited to Mr. Harriman's house in Georgetown for an audience with the great man. Remarkable.

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 11:10 AM
In the seventies I was invited to Mr. Harriman's house in Georgetown for an audience with the great man. Remarkable.

Did you ride on the family railroad?

Doria
03-09-2017, 01:33 PM
I've been reading collections of short stories I got for Christmas. Lovecraft's Monsters was essentially exactly what it sounds like, with stories based around the different stories from his mythos (not necessarily originally created by him, though, as it included the Hounds of Tindalos and the King in Yellow, for example). Not all of them were in the Lovecraft model. They sometimes just used the monsters. Fun book, if you like fantasy/horror stories.

I also read the Neil Gaiman edited Unnatural Creatures, which is quirky and fun.

I'd planned to start Aickman's Heirs, a book of stories based on the works of one of my favorite writers, Robert Aickman. But the cover was damaged, so I had to send it for replacement. In the meantime, I caught up with the current Wonder Woman and Kill or Be Killed comic book runs. I have about a long box's worth in my backlog, since I was working so much last year and they just kind of piled up.

In another vein, I have The President and the Assassin and Brian Evenson's The Wandering Eye, waiting for me.

DUKIECB
03-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Just finished Endurance, Shackleton's incredible voyage about the early 1900's attempt for a trans-continental crossing of Antarctica. Its an astounding story of the human will to survive. It's one of those stories that if it wasn't documented there's no way you would believe it. Fascinating story.

Cormac
03-11-2017, 09:02 PM
In another vein, I have The President and the Assassin and Brian Evenson's The Wandering Eye, waiting for me.[/QUOTE]

I love me some Brian Evenson. Last Days and Immobility are my favorite so far. The short story A Collapse of Horses was solid too. I finally finished A Feast For Crows. It wasn't too bad. Not nearly as good as Storm of Swords, but it had some moments. I'm taking a break before Dance with Dragons and reading Drew Magary's The Hike. It's relatively short and won't require me to think too much. It's a weird and trippy book so far. He writes for Deadspin and GQ if anyone has an interest in him or his writings.

devildeac
03-11-2017, 11:04 PM
The box score of tonight's game.

camion
03-12-2017, 12:02 AM
Normally I'm a sci fi reader, recently Charles Stross and John Scalzi.

Tonight I'm reading the Elizabeth King Forum. It seems that Duke raised the roof in Brooklyn. :)

rasputin
03-13-2017, 03:07 PM
I read it a while ago and thought it was brilliant -- but it might be a little heavy going unless you are a real history buff.

However, for a more general audience ... you might try a new book, Grant's Final Victory by Charles Flood.

Shortly after Grant learned that he had been wiped out financially in 1884, the ex-President found out that he had terminal throat and mouth cancer. He used his last months to write his memoirs, in increasing pain -- a race to finish before his death. He made it in the nick of time, the book was published by Mark Twain of all people and became one of the best sellers of the late 19th century ... making enough money to restore his family's finances.

Flood argues that the memoirs had significant impact in healing the nation's wounds. Definitely worth reading.

I'm following up on my exchange with OF a couple of months ago; I had asked if anyone had read the memoirs of General Grant, and OF's reply is quoted above. I just got through reading those memoirs--it's a dense book, but immensely enjoyable and well-written. And, yes, you have to be a real history buff to get through it, but I am.

Billy Dat
03-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Great book for basketball coaches and students of the game

Basketball is Jazz by David Thorpe
https://www.amazon.com/Basketball-Jazz-David-Thorpe/dp/1540856070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489440175&sr=8-1&keywords=basketball+is+jazz

Duke71
03-16-2017, 02:37 AM
I've never been in a high-performance race car sitting next to a talking dog, nor have I ever been surfing on ocean waves, but this won't stop me from highly recommending either of the two following books: The Art Of Racing In The Rain and The Illustrated Atlas Of Surfing History.

I just finished reading Garth Stein's The Art Of Racing In The Rain and it was a very moving (pun intended) experience. The dog doesn't actually talk in this novel - tho' he's not shy about reminding the reader that he wishes he could - but Enzo, the dog, does do an excellent job of narrating the story. It's a story that you can fully appreciate without even needing to be a race car fan. It does probably help if you like dogs. However, if you don't yet like dogs, I'm confident that listening to Enzo will change your mind.

http://www.garthstein.com/works/the-art-of-racing-in-the-rain/

When it comes to reading, I'm usually more of a non-fiction kinda guy, but I'm really glad I listened to the person who recommended The Art Of Racing In The Rain book to me. I may even read it again or, at the very least, pay more attention to what dogs have to say in my everyday non-fiction world.

I now know that the next person I meet might have been a dog in a previous incarnation. I learned from this book that this is actually a good thing. According to a cherished Mongolian legend: “Not all dogs return as men, they say; only those who are ready.” Enzo was ready.

The second book I'm recommending, The Illustrated Atlas of Surfing History, is written by a Duke alum and former classmate, Joel T. Smith. Joel not only has surfed a lot, he's good at it and he has done it all over the world. Joel’s non-fiction book is a fun read that starts back at wave riding's roots around 3000 BC and moves on from there. The book is now poised to be used as the basis of a museum exhibition. The exhibition - being done by the Surfing Heritage and Culture Center (SHACC) in San Clemente, CA - will be timed to go with surfing’s première as an Olympic sport in Tokyo. The exhibition is slated to make its debut at SHACC in the winter of 2017 - 2018, and then travel to other museums and cultural centers here and abroad.

https://theillustratedatlasofsurfinghistory.wordpress.com/blog/

Joel's book was released last year and is readily available in bookstores in Hawaii. On the mainland it is available from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Atlas-Surfing-History/dp/1617102865

If you check the reviews at the above Amazon link, you'll see that Joel's book is batting 100% when it comes to 5 star reviews. Perhaps one of you wave riders will be the next 5 star reviewer of Joel's book. If Enzo, the dog, were to return as a human, I can see him giving Joel’s book a 5 star rating….Enzo was all about moving fast and becoming a champion.

WillJ
03-17-2017, 05:09 PM
Just finished The Agony & The Ecstasy again. Still a great book. Now reading I,Claudius. An interesting read but I'm not quite as engaged. I'll probably pick up Claudius the God when I'm through however.

I loved the two Claudius books. I recommend Graves' Goodbye to All That, too.

SoCalDukeFan
03-17-2017, 06:57 PM
by Tom Friedman

It certainly has me thinking.

SoCal

Cormac
03-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones. Not something I would expect would have a wide audience here. I enjoy his stuff. He's Blackfeet Native American so he has a voice I don't have much experience with. Next up is A Dance With Dragons. So I can start waiting on the next book with everyone else.

Olympic Fan
03-19-2017, 05:49 PM
I loved the two Claudius books. I recommend Graves' Goodbye to All That, too.

Actually, if you like the Claudius books, try Graves' "Hercules, My Shipmate". It's a similar novel involving classical characters.

"Goodbye to All That" is interesting, but understand that it's Graves' autobiography (that he wrote at age 34), although it sometimes reads as a condemnation of British society in the '20s. He teamed with Alan Hodge to write a similar book -- "The Long Weekend", a social history of Great Britain between the two wars.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Re-reading Great Gatsby... a bit flummoxed about why is has become a classic.

Doria
03-20-2017, 04:57 PM

You've got me. I first read it on a trip with my parents when I was... uh... ten-ish? maybe? Anyway, I've read it several times since for school, over the course of my life, but have never, ever enjoyed it. I mean, it isn't terrible or anything, and it's a quick read. Just not sure what anyone sees in it other than it's short enough to teach in high school. Fitzgerald has other, better books, IMO.

Now that the tourney is basically over for me, I'm hoping to catch up on some of my reading. I have an embarrassing pile of books and comics now collected at my bedside. Hoping to get time to finally finish Joe Hill's Locke and Key, the new volume of Outcast (by author of The Walking Dead), and the carry overs from my last post.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-20-2017, 05:31 PM
You've got me. I first read it on a trip with my parents when I was... uh... ten-ish? maybe? Anyway, I've read it several times since for school, over the course of my life, but have never, ever enjoyed it. I mean, it isn't terrible or anything, and it's a quick read. Just not sure what anyone sees in it other than it's short enough to teach in high school. Fitzgerald has other, better books, IMO.

Now that the tourney is basically over for me, I'm hoping to catch up on some of my reading. I have an embarrassing pile of books and comics now collected at my bedside. Hoping to get time to finally finish Joe Hill's Locke and Key, the new volume of Outcast (by author of The Walking Dead), and the carry overs from my last post.

It seems relevant in that it's emblematic of a particular time period. It is well enough written. I just isn't a terribly interesting story.

Doria
03-21-2017, 12:11 PM
It seems relevant in that it's emblematic of a particular time period. It is well enough written. I just isn't a terribly interesting story.

You're right about it being a look from a specific vantage point at a particular time. But again, I'd argue that there are more accomplished books about the same period. Seriously, I really would argue that in many ways, its popularity comes in no small measure from being short enough (and friendly enough, in terms of content) to teach in school. I think Lord of the Flies and a couple Steinbeck novels (e.g., The Pearl or Of Mice and Men) similarly benefit from this.

Note again, I'm not saying this as a perjorative. Steinbeck is probably my favorite American author. At least, he has been traditionally, since childhood.

aimo
03-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Same here. We read it in 11th grade, not sure I actually finished the book. Did not get it's "greatness". Other "great" books that underwhelmed me: Catcher in the Rye and All the King's Men (didn't finish that one, either).

duke4ever19
04-08-2017, 09:04 PM
You're right about it being a look from a specific vantage point at a particular time. But again, I'd argue that there are more accomplished books about the same period. Seriously, I really would argue that in many ways, its popularity comes in no small measure from being short enough (and friendly enough, in terms of content) to teach in school. I think Lord of the Flies and a couple Steinbeck novels (e.g., The Pearl or Of Mice and Men) similarly benefit from this.

Note again, I'm not saying this as a perjorative. Steinbeck is probably my favorite American author. At least, he has been traditionally, since childhood.

Steinbeck is my wife's favorite (For me, it's a tie between Whitman and Emerson.). I've only read Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men, but I plan on starting "Travels with Charley" soon.

I'm not sure if there are any other lovers of philosophy -- specifically Medieval philosophy -- but I would highly recommend Victor Watt's translation of Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy. For those thinking about going down the rabbit's hole and giving philosophical literature a shot, this is a great intro to some common philosophical topics (the meaning of life, death, fate and fortune, virtue ethics, religion etc.).

YmoBeThere
04-08-2017, 10:16 PM
The Truth about Your Future

aimo
04-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Steinbeck is my wife's favorite (For me, it's a tie between Whitman and Emerson.). I've only read Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men, but I plan on starting "Travels with Charley" soon.

I liked Travels with Charley. Also, The Red Pony. And if you can find the short story Tularecito, it was pretty weird.

Olympic Fan
04-10-2017, 11:11 AM

I'm not sure if there are any other lovers of philosophy -- specifically Medieval philosophy -- but I would highly recommend Victor Watt's translation of Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy. For those thinking about going down the rabbit's hole and giving philosophical literature a shot, this is a great intro to some common philosophical topics (the meaning of life, death, fate and fortune, virtue ethics, religion etc.).

I agree with the posters who don't like The Pearl, but to me that's an exception.

I think The Grapes of Wrath is one of the 2-3 greatest American novels of the 20th Century. I loved it. Of Mice and Men is good too, but my second-favorite Steinbeck novel is In Dubious Battle. I also like a number of his short stories. Cannery Row is a fun read.

PS I am also a reader who can't see the hoopla for The Great Gatsby.

mgtr
04-10-2017, 11:30 AM
I just finished The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert. Fairly interesting tale about Eustace Conway, who lives "off the land" in western North Carolina. He is sort of a dropout without drugs. Easy and quick read.

DUKIECB
04-10-2017, 11:36 AM
I just finished The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert. Fairly interesting tale about Eustace Conway, who lives "off the land" in western North Carolina. He is sort of a dropout without drugs. Easy and quick read.Eustace Conway and his cohort Preston Roberts are some very interesting guys to say the least. We write their insurance coverage for the preserve and Preston was my art teacher in high school. I'll have to check out the book.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-10-2017, 12:13 PM
I just finished The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert. Fairly interesting tale about Eustace Conway, who lives "off the land" in western North Carolina. He is sort of a dropout without drugs. Easy and quick read.

Eustace Conway is a legend in these parts, for sure. Heard tell his land was in danger a few years ago, but I haven't heard an update.

Hope he is still left to do "his thing."

Doria
04-10-2017, 03:46 PM
I agree with the posters who don't like The Pearl, but to me that's an exception.

I think The Grapes of Wrath is one of the 2-3 greatest American novels of the 20th Century. I loved it. Of Mice and Men is good too, but my second-favorite Steinbeck novel is In Dubious Battle. I also like a number of his short stories. Cannery Row is a fun read.

PS I am also a reader who can't see the hoopla for The Great Gatsby.

I also love In Dubious Battle, while fully admitting that Steinbeck's craft is not really on full display in that book.

Just a random note: I had to do a book project in 6th grade on an author, and I chose Steinbeck because I was super into him at that point. So on the day of my project, I was assembling the Grapes of Wrath section of the room, and I'd brought some grapes, judging that many of my classmates weren't going to be interested in the more substantive portions, and when I took them out, I saw that my dad had made like a museum display label for them that said "Wrathful Grapes." (My father also had a wooden pig stapler that was labeled "the original chauvinistic pig" for reasons I've never known.)

fisheyes
05-11-2017, 09:49 PM
"Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders

Wow! Absolutely loved this book.

This is Saunders first novel after many successful short stories.

It is an excellent look at Lincoln's sadness over the loss of his 11 year old son due to typhoid fever.

The writing techniques used are quite new and interesting.

I don't want to give away too much of the story!

I actually listened to the book on Audible and loved the presentation. Over 166 actor voices are used! David Sedaris is just perfect in his character!

Highly recommend!

Mike Corey
05-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Thanks for recommending Saunders. I have impressed friends by telling them that I have Saunders' book awaiting my attention on my nightstand for months, but keep putting it off. I'll finally take the plunge, thanks to your glowing recommendation.

PSurprise
05-12-2017, 03:50 PM
I just got finished re-reading The Agony & The Ecstasy by Stone a few months ago and enjoyed it immensely (again). So I checked out The Origin , about Charles Darwin's life. His voyage in the Beagle is very interesting, but after he gets back to England, it's really quite a slough. He did a lot of writing and meeting naturalists/geologists/scientists (in addition to having lots of kids), which doesn't make for quick reading. It seems, at least in this novel, that Darwin had a lot of advantages in life and I think one of the reasons I'm not as keen on this book is there is not a lot of adversity (internal or external), unlike The Agony. He's finally gotten to his ideas of natural selection, so I'm looking to see where that's going. Overall it's a quality read, but probably not a book I would pick up again (unlike Agony)

Bob Green
05-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Steinbeck is probably my favorite American author.

It is Hemingway for me as For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises are a couple of my favorite books. Hemingway's characters have passion! Tennessee Williams plays A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof are also fantastic.

JNort
05-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Anyone ever read any of Richard Dawkins books? Recommend any?

WV_Iron_Duke
05-12-2017, 04:26 PM
This long series are my favorite historical novels. The series concerns a British sea captain and his surgeon during the Napoleonic wars. These novels are dense and the language takes some getting used to as it is written in the early 1800's sea vernacular. I bought an unabridged dictionary for these novels. This series is a proper fit for readers who like military history, 19th century English lit or sailing.
My friend who turned me on to them has read the series several times and one college friend is now rereading the series. It will likely take you a couple of years to read the entire series. The movie Master and Commander is based on one of these novels.

chriso
05-12-2017, 10:25 PM
So I just finished the Red Rising Trilogy by Piece Brown. If you enjoyed the Hunger Game series or Ender's Game then I highly recommend it.

I was curious what everyone else is reading or had finished reading recently and if anyone had any recommendations?

I will read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Fiction, non-fiction, sci-fi, doesn't make a difference. Debating starting the Game of Thrones series..

Recently, I've read the three JK Rowling detective novels, Life is Not an Accident (J-Will), and The Hobbit.

Anyone have anything they're reading now or that they recommend? I figured this thread could be a nice soundboard for those looking for something new to read. :)

At the risk of sounding like a teenage girl I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm on number 2. :)

fuse
05-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Leadership and Self Deception, an excellent self help fable.
Quick read while being deep and worthwhile, good content to contemplate.

Your Brain at Work. Interesting while being obvious and preachy.
Good content, not an easy read.

Doria
05-13-2017, 02:21 PM
I, unfortunately, discovered Netgalley, so I'm reading ARCss.

One is the next Ellen Datlow anthology, with the theme of Halloween. So far, I don't think it's as solid as others she has edited, but still enjoyable.

And I'm reading The Book of Whispers, which is great for an unconventional YA setting (the crusade to free Jerusalem from the Saracens), but is workmanlike at best in terms if characters and writing, so far.

aimo
05-15-2017, 09:30 AM
At the risk of sounding like a teenage girl I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm on number 2. :)

I've actually been thinking of doing the same. And I've already been through it multiple times. A good choice when I can't really get into anything else. As I mentioned in the It thread, been thinking about re-reading It, but I haven't gotten up the nerve to start, yet.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Loved Agony; loved I, Claudius. I wrote my college application essay for some school (maybe Duke, not sure) about I, Claudius and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Still two of my favorites, I have re-read Zen several times. (Side note, sad to hear of Robert Pirsig's recent passing).

Just finished Animal Farm after discussing with SonPK. Just started The Devil in the White City, which hooked me early already.

rasputin
05-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Loved Agony; loved I, Claudius. I wrote my college application essay for some school (maybe Duke, not sure) about I, Claudius and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Still two of my favorites, I have re-read Zen several times. (Side note, sad to hear of Robert Pirsig's recent passing).

Just finished Animal Farm after discussing with SonPK. Just started The Devil in the White City, which hooked me early already.

I read The Devil in the White City a few months ago, and I thought it was worthwhile.

Olympic Fan
05-15-2017, 01:45 PM
I read The Devil in the White City a few months ago, and I thought it was worthwhile.

Yeah, a very interesting study of one of American's first (known) mass murders, set at the Chicago World's Fair. I also enjoyed Erik Larson's "Dead Wake", a very compelling story of the last voyage of the Lusitania. BTW: There is a movie version of "Devil in the White City" in production. It will star Leonardo DiCapro and will be directed by Martin Scorcese.

I just finished Glenn Frankel's High Noon -- a study of the classic film and how it was a product of the Hollywood Blacklist hysteria:

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/02/515438274/high-noon-takes-aim-at-the-hollywood-blacklist

I knew that Carl Foreman, who wrote and produced the movie (on a shoestring) was himself blacklisted -- I didn't know that his confrontation with HUAC and his blacklisting occurred while this film was being made. Interesting to read that Foreman saw himself as Will Kane, walking down mainstreet alone after all the decent people of Hadleyville (Hollywood) had been too afraid to support him.

This is Frankel's second great book about a classic Hollywood western. His earlier "The Searchers" blew me away -- telling the true story behind John Ford's masterpiece, then tying it into the movie we all know and love.

I also recently read Noah Williamson's "We'll Always Have Casablanca", which explores the impact of that film classic. Williamson makes a compelling case that Casablanca is a film that was largelty created by refugees and is about refugees -- which gives it relevance in our own day,.

Doria
05-15-2017, 02:07 PM

I thought that was an interesting book, not only for the main narrative, but also for the descriptions and pictures of the World's Fair.

Another good book in the same vein is Midnight in Peking. Along with the true crime aspect, it vividly illustrates a specific sense of time and place.

Bob Green
05-19-2017, 09:22 AM
My brother-in-law gave me two audio books so I am listening to the first one, Six Frigates, while commuting to and from work. Listening to Six Frigates has resulted in a short detour to Federalists #11.

This is my first experience with an audio book and it is going rather smoothly as it is a nice diversion from sports radio. Audio books will never become my first choice but they are a good option for making the daily commute productive.

The audio book I have on deck is Danger's Hour the story of the kamikaze attack on USS Bunker Hill (CV 17) on May 11, 1945 off Okinawa.

left_hook_lacey
05-19-2017, 10:45 AM
I'm usually not much of a fiction reader. For some reason I just feel like if what I'm reading isn't true, or doesn't teach me a fact about something that happened in real life then I'm wasting my time. But every once in a while I'll venture down the fiction road, and I'm glad I did. This is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite reads. I'm about half-way through it.

luburch
05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Just finished Aziz Ansari's Modern Romance. The book was much different than I expected, but a good read nonetheless.

Decided to give the Dark Tower series a try. We'll see how it goes.

The Gordog
05-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Currently reading Sprinsteen's autobiography. A lot there I did not know even though I am a huge fan.

Finished American Gods 2 weeks ago. Very weird, but came together beautifully at the end. Recommend, especislly if you are interested in anchient cultures and beliefs.

DUKIECB
05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
At the risk of sounding like a teenage girl I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm on number 2. :)Funny you should mention this...I never read the series when it came out and now I have an 8 year old son that is learning to love to read. I bought him the first one for Christmas for us to read together at night and we are now almost through number 3! He got the remainder of the series for his birthday last month so we've got our work cut out for us :) So far I've enjoyed them very much.

chriso
05-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Funny you should mention this...I never read the series when it came out and now I have an 8 year old son that is learning to love to read. I bought him the first one for Christmas for us to read together at night and we are now almost through number 3! He got the remainder of the series for his birthday last month so we've got our work cut out for us :) So far I've enjoyed them very much.

Awesome. I am very picky about fantasy and this and LOTR is the only ones in the genre I've gotten into. Let me know your favorite. I am starting Goblet of Fire. So far 3 is my favorite.

Olympic Fan
05-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Funny you should mention this...I never read the series when it came out and now I have an 8 year old son that is learning to love to read. I bought him the first one for Christmas for us to read together at night and we are now almost through number 3! He got the remainder of the series for his birthday last month so we've got our work cut out for us :) So far I've enjoyed them very much.

I think one of Rowling's great achievements is how her stories and her writing mature with her characters.

The first one seems written for 12-14 year olds ... by the last one, it seems aimed at late teens. Her stule grew up with her characters (and, I suspect, her readers).

When I first read through the series (I was hooked when introduced to the series after the first three books were published ... I eagerly awaited the last four), I thought my least favorite was Order of Phoenix ... when I went back and re-read the entire series a few years ago, I thought Order of the Phoenix was the best of the bunch.

DUKIECB
05-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Awesome. I am very picky about fantasy and this and LOTR is the only ones in the genre I've gotten into. Let me know your favorite. I am starting Goblet of Fire. So far 3 is my favorite.

I think one of Rowling's great achievements is how her stories and her writing mature with her characters.

The first one seems written for 12-14 year olds ... by the last one, it seems aimed at late teens. Her stule grew up with her characters (and, I suspect, her readers).

When I first read through the series (I was hooked when introduced to the series after the first three books were published ... I eagerly awaited the last four), I thought my least favorite was Order of Phoenix ... when I went back and re-read the entire series a few years ago, I thought Order of the Phoenix was the best of the bunch.

I have to admit I am really enjoying reading them together with him. After we finish a book we borrow the movie from my sister who has them all and watch. Not done with 3 yet but so far it has been my favorite.

chriso
05-19-2017, 03:29 PM
I have to admit I am really enjoying reading them together with him. After we finish a book we borrow the movie from my sister who has them all and watch. Not done with 3 yet but so far it has been my favorite.
3 is the best movie for me as well. Goblet of Fire and OOTP and the last movie are my other favorites. I like all the films except the second to last one. She truly is a great writer. :)

Cormac
06-07-2017, 07:34 AM
I finally finished A Dance With Dragons. That ending....I can't imagine reading this in 2011 and still waiting to see how he resolves the cliffhangers. I know the show has moved past the books, but I'm curious if they went with what GRRM said he's writing or if they came up with their own explanations? I plan on watching the show this summer. I enjoyed the book though. I would say its my second or third favorite in the series (ahead of feast of crows and clash of kings, below storm of swords and maybe tied with game of thrones?). Anyway, I'm starting The North Water by Ian McGuire next. Its been described as Cormac McCarthy meets Joseph Conrad meets Moby Dick. So expectations are high. Anyone read this one yet?

budwom
06-07-2017, 07:55 AM
If you want a really interesting book that's nice and long (and very well written) check out Nathan Hill's "The Nix." (it's not about a hoop team in NYC).

luburch
06-07-2017, 09:17 AM
Finished The Gunslinger earlier this week. Not entirely sure what I think of it so far. Bought The Drawing of the Three to read during my upcoming travel. Hoping the story develops some more. Was left scratching my head a few times in the first book.

Bob Green
06-24-2017, 04:05 PM
I accompanied my daughter and grandson to Barnes and Noble this afternoon leaving with The Fleet at Flood Tide by James D. Hornfischer in hand. His other books have been outstanding so I am looking forward to reading his latest work.

Ggallagher
06-28-2017, 08:47 AM
I accompanied my daughter and grandson to Barnes and Noble this afternoon leaving with The Fleet at Flood Tide by James D. Hornfischer in hand. His other books have been outstanding so I am looking forward to reading his latest work.

I'll be very interested in your impression of this book. I wanted to grab it right when it came out, but there were a few kind of iffy reviews of it. Plus it broke my rule for being overpriced on a Kindle which was how I planned on reading it at the time. I probably will have to pick it up at some time though - I served on the second Samuel B. Roberts (DD-823) during my NROTC duty, so destroyers have a special appeal for me.

Olympic Fan
06-28-2017, 01:28 PM
I'll be very interested in your impression of this book. I wanted to grab it right when it came out, but there were a few kind of iffy reviews of it. Plus it broke my rule for being overpriced on a Kindle which was how I planned on reading it at the time. I probably will have to pick it up at some time though - I served on the second Samuel B. Roberts (DD-823) during my NROTC duty, so destroyers have a special appeal for me.

Wow -- the Samuel B. Roberts ... a proud name.

I hope you have read Hornfischer's Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, which tells that story very well.

I was not blown away by The Fleet at Flood Tide -- I prefers his Neptune's Inferno, which is about the Guadalcanal campaign.

And both you and Bob might be interested in John Prados' Storm over Leyte, which has to be the definitive work ever written about that titanic battle.

And another tip -- have you read Ian Toll's books about the war in the Pacific -- Pacific Crucible and The Conquering Tide? Similar to Hornfischer's work and at least as good, maybe better.

Ggallagher
06-28-2017, 01:59 PM
Wow -- the Samuel B. Roberts ... a proud name.

I hope you have read Hornfischer's Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, which tells that story very well.

I was not blown away by The Fleet at Flood Tide -- I prefers his Neptune's Inferno, which is about the Guadalcanal campaign.

And both you and Bob might be interested in John Prados' Storm over Leyte, which has to be the definitive work ever written about that titanic battle.

And another tip -- have you read Ian Toll's books about the war in the Pacific -- Pacific Crucible and The Conquering Tide? Similar to Hornfischer's work and at least as good, maybe better.

Yep, the Sammy B does have a pretty proud name. Of course that's NOT from the Sammy B I served on which was commissioned shortly after the first one was sunk. I have read "Last Stand..." as well Ian Toll's book, and enjoyed both of them quite a lot.

Ever since graduating I've enjoyed reading history a lot, and take a special interest in naval history and warfare. My dad flew off the Essex during the Korean War, so I grew up around Navy bases. Sort of developed the interest at an early age, and it kind of grew as I read and learned more.

cato
06-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Finished The Gunslinger earlier this week. Not entirely sure what I think of it so far. Bought The Drawing of the Three to read during my upcoming travel. Hoping the story develops some more. Was left scratching my head a few times in the first book.

So . . . Did you follow the path toward the Dark Tower? Each book is different, but the Gunslinger stands alone as unique. IIRC, King wrote it when he was very young. It shows.

luburch
06-28-2017, 03:04 PM
So . . . Did you follow the path toward the Dark Tower? Each book is different, but the Gunslinger stands alone as unique. IIRC, King wrote it when he was very young. It shows.

Just finished The Drawing of the Three about a week ago. Started The Wastelands last night, but only made it about 25 pages in. Jet-lag is kicking my butt, so trying to read last night was a bad idea. Hopefully I can get through about 100 pages this evening.

Second book was definitely better and I can feel the story picking up. I haven't read much King, but at times I find myself wanting him to just shut up and move on with the story.

cato
06-28-2017, 04:19 PM
Second book was definitely better and I can feel the story picking up. I haven't read much King, but at times I find myself wanting him to just shut up and move on with the story.

:D

If you keep reading, just remember this thought a few books from now.

OldPhiKap
06-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Just started a new book on tape: Blood Aces, about Benny Binion.

Also have Beer Money from Frannie Stroh, who I knew at Duke. The parts I read in print were really good, she has quite the tale to tell. (She was a super-nice girl, I hope the book does well for her).

NashvilleDevil
06-28-2017, 11:59 PM
Recently finished H.W. Brands's bio on Ronald Reagan and part 1 of Shelby Foote's 3 part Civil War narrative. Continuing with the Civil War theme, I am currently reading Brands's bio on U.S. Grant and I just saw that Ron Chernow is releasing a bio on Grant in the fall. I find myself fascinated by Grant and am stuck in the rabbit hole reading anything I can about the man.

Olympic Fan
06-29-2017, 01:44 AM
Recently finished H.W. Brands's bio on Ronald Reagan and part 1 of Shelby Foote's 3 part Civil War narrative. Continuing with the Civil War theme, I am currently reading Brands's bio on U.S. Grant and I just saw that Ron Chernow is releasing a bio on Grant in the fall. I find myself fascinated by Grant and am stuck in the rabbit hole reading anything I can about the man.

You might want to check out Ronald C. White's American Ulysses, another new Bio of Grant.

It's actually very good detailing Grant's youth and his pre-Civil War struggles. It doesn't break any new ground when it talks about the his wartime service. But it picks right up again with his post-war career. It does as good a job as I've read of explaining why at Grant's death, he was considered one of the three greatest Americans (with Washington and Lincoln