PDA

View Full Version : MLax: (ACCT Final) Syracuse 14, Duke 8

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Lightning delay with 7:10 to go in Q4. Pouring rain and we just got the first crack of thunder.

9-8, Cuse.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Just announced estimated restart time of 3:15.

Bob Green
05-01-2016, 02:30 PM
It has been a really competitive game. Syracuse goalie has been sensational. Duke's second midfield unit (not sure I'm using the right terminology) has scored multiple goals. Myles Jones coming on strong in 2nd half.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure Molloy has been sensational. Our shot selection hasn't been very good.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 02:38 PM
It has been a really competitive game. Syracuse goalie has been sensational. Duke's second midfield unit (not sure I'm using the right terminology) has scored multiple goals. Myles Jones coming on strong in 2nd half.

Win or lose today, getting three goals from the second midfield augurs well going forward.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 03:05 PM
No way the game is restarting before 4:00. It's getting lighter off to the north, but there is still plenty of lightning all around, and we're being to to expect hail in the next 5-10 minutes.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the update, Paul. Those of us watching on ESPNU are given college baseball during the delay.

SCMatt33
05-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the update, Paul. Those of us watching on ESPNU are given college baseball during the delay.

Looking at the pics on the ACC men's lacrosse Twitter account, the field is quite wet. Additionally, they also said that coverage will not resume on ESPNU, but instead will be on ESPNews.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 03:25 PM
No lightning for the last 20 minutes, but we're still getting steady, soaking rain. Field is going to be a mess.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Just wandered out from under cover. Field is an absolute lake. I don't know what the officials are going to do.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Just wandered out from under cover. Field is an absolute lake. I don't know what the officials are going to do.
Please keep the tv audience updated. We've gone to watching stuff on our dvr and waiting for the game to resume ... If it does! LGD GTHc!

Doria
05-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Please keep the tv audience updated. We've gone to watching stuff on our dvr and waiting for the game to resume ... If it does! LGD GTHc!

I've been roped into watching the football profiles on ESPNews.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 03:47 PM

My flight home isn't until 8:25, so I don't have any need to bail early.

Rain has stopped, field is draining nicely (at least the south end; north end still looks bad). No sign of teams or officials.

DangerDevil
05-01-2016, 04:20 PM
Duke Men's Lacrosse
Duke Men's Lacrosse – ‏@Duke_MLAX

Game will be moved to the turf field adjacent to main stadium. Restart time at 4:45. Game will not be televised. Follow here.

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Restarting in about 15 minutes on a turf field across the street from the stadium. No sign of any TV equipment.

sagegrouse
05-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Restarting in about 15 minutes on a turf field across the street from the stadium. No sign of any TV equipment.

Are there any lacrosse nets and field markings?

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Are there any lacrosse nets and field markings?

Yup.

InSpades
05-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Not ideal but: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1YqGoBggYrkKv

DangerDevil
05-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Down 11-8 with 3:30 left

Bob Green
05-01-2016, 04:54 PM
13-8 now. All Syracuse since the restart from weather delay.

DangerDevil
05-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Let's blame it on the alternate field

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Ugh. Final score 14-8. Cuse was on EMO out of the restart, and scored with 15 seconds. Myles hit the post on the ensuing Duke possession, and it just snowballed. Cuse made all the hustle plays.

Dang.

Native
05-01-2016, 05:01 PM
14-8 'Cuse is your final.

Tough to come out and play after such a long delay like that.

We got the win we needed in the semifinals against ND. If we take care of business against BU we should be in good shape to get in the NCAAT.

Hats off to the Orange, especially their keeper Molloy. Big-time game from him.

nmduke2001
05-01-2016, 05:02 PM
That restart was rough. The last two games they really struggled with clearing. I bet they failed to clear 7 times today.

Doria
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
That restart was rough. The last two games they really struggled with clearing. I bet they failed to clear 7 times today.

Sure seemed that way. It was hard to tell what was going on at times in those last few minutes on my phone. Still, it was cool they did a periscope.

84crazy
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
When the delay occurred I got bad vibes. Seems like every restart of play we struggle for a long while then close strong. 65% of games fumbling/bumbling 35% pure beauty.

captmojo
05-01-2016, 05:48 PM
ESPN deserves whatever award is given for pathetic reporting on this match.

I was glad to get to watch. I was okay with the wait while Mother Nature did her thing.

I was NOT cool with the network giving me false info about the status of the game, the false relay to me that the re-start would be at a particular time and on a particular channel. I was not cool with them dropping the coverage and their updates, including even from the scrolling, bottom line.

It's enough to make you want to turn to someone else to be the worldwide leader.

:mad:

DST Fan
05-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Let's blame it on the alternate field

Today was sort of reminiscent of the 2008 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament in Atlanta.

cspan37421
05-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Tough to come out and play after such a long delay like that.

Not for Syracuse, apparently.

:(

JasonEvans
05-02-2016, 08:22 AM
If we take care of business against BU we should be in good shape to get in the NCAAT.

Is LAX the only sport where the conference tournament is not the end of the regular season? Post-conference games before the NCAA tourney? Whaaaat?

burnspbesq
05-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Is LAX the only sport where the conference tournament is not the end of the regular season? Post-conference games before the NCAA tourney? Whaaaat?

Only the ACC and Patriot League play their tournaments "a week early." The other eight conference tournaments are this week, mostly Thursday - Saturday. Best games to watch on Thursday are Villanova - Marquette in the Big East, Yale - Penn in the Ivy, and Richmond - High Point in SoCon.

There are three ACC vs. Patriot games this weekend: Cuse - Colgate, ND - Army, and Duke - BU.

Billy Dat
05-02-2016, 11:05 AM
I DVRed the game, even added 30 minutes, and was forced to look-up the result circa 10PM when my "tape ran out". Bummer.

In the pre-weather-delay portion of the game, it seemed like the ball was on the turf an awful lot for a D1 contest and guys were having trouble vacuuming it up, I was astonished by the number of ground balls we failed to secure that were on our stick without challenge. It also felt like a more lethal offense could have shredded our defense, they had a lot of catch and shoot opportunities where our closest man was 2-3 feet away and Syracuse didn't pull the trigger as many times as they could have. We also had a few point-blank chances that we didn't put into the back of the net, and they got some flukey bounces (like that shot off the pipe that went right into their stick in front of the cage for an easy score). It felt like they were dominating the face-offs but the box score shows me that it was pretty even prior to the restart. But, I think I have been spoiled by recent past years....I am glad this group pulled together and got big wins over the past few weeks and I look forward to watching the remaining games.

MCFinARL
05-02-2016, 02:36 PM
I DVRed the game, even added 30 minutes, and was forced to look-up the result circa 10PM when my "tape ran out". Bummer.

In the pre-weather-delay portion of the game, it seemed like the ball was on the turf an awful lot for a D1 contest and guys were having trouble vacuuming it up, I was astonished by the number of ground balls we failed to secure that were on our stick without challenge. It also felt like a more lethal offense could have shredded our defense, they had a lot of catch and shoot opportunities where our closest man was 2-3 feet away and Syracuse didn't pull the trigger as many times as they could have. We also had a few point-blank chances that we didn't put into the back of the net, and they got some flukey bounces (like that shot off the pipe that went right into their stick in front of the cage for an easy score). It felt like they were dominating the face-offs but the box score shows me that it was pretty even prior to the restart. But, I think I have been spoiled by recent past years...I am glad this group pulled together and got big wins over the past few weeks and I look forward to watching the remaining games.

Agree Duke didn't seem to do well on the ground balls yesterday. I don't know how much of that might have been related to a particular field and how much it is just a weakness of theirs; in the ND game they won ground balls, although that was deceptive since most of it was their decisive success on face-offs.

It did seem like Duke just failed to come back out after the delay. Syracuse coach Desko actually commented specifically that he was very pleasantly surprised by his team's post-delay performance, as he expected them to be flat but they were ready to go.

Re face-offs, they were indeed pretty even prior to the restart, and some that Duke lost involved Rowe winning initially but Duke failing to secure the ground ball.

Something to feel good about--despite the late breakdown, the Duke defense continues to look much better than earlier in the year, and Danny Fowler is dramatically improved. Even after the 5-goal mess at the end, he had 17 saves to 14 goals against on the day, a respectable if not earth-shaking 55%. I was very glad to see he made the all-tournament team (along with Evan Molloy--so 2 goalies).

Doria
05-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Since I've now seen a grand total of two lacrosse games, can someone assess for me our faceoff and goaltending skills respectively? I feel that we're reasonably good at both, despite the end of yesterday's game, but I just don't have enough experience to really know. Thanks, in advance.

MCFinARL
05-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Since I've now seen a grand total of two lacrosse games, can someone assess for me our faceoff and goaltending skills respectively? I feel that we're reasonably good at both, despite the end of yesterday's game, but I just don't have enough experience to really know. Thanks, in advance.

Others more expert feel free to jump in here, but I think it is fair to say that, in general, Duke's face-off game is very good and its goal tending just okay--but if you are looking at just the last few games there has been a significant uptick in goaltending, as Danny Fowler seems to have taken a big leap (and the fact that the defense in front of him leaves him vulnerable a little less often doesn't hurt either).

Currently Kyle Rowe, the FOGO, is ranked 10th in Division I in face-off percentage (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men/d1/current/individual/410), with the only face-off from the ACC who is ahead of him being Ben Williams of Syracuse.

Danny Fowler is 30th in save percentage (http://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men/d1/current/individual/224), with a .522 average. The 30th ranking may be a little deceptive, as only players who have played 60% of their team's minutes in goal are listed. One player who isn't listed for that reason--Evan Molloy of Syracuse, who as a .566 save percentage. Don't know whether he was injured or came on to replace another goalie but he has less than half of Syracuse's minutes in goal. But Fowler's stats in recent games are better: 55% against Syracuse, 57% against Notre Dame, over 85% against Marquette (a bit of an outlier), 62% against Virginia.

msdukie
05-02-2016, 11:17 PM

There have been times where both Duke and UNC WBB have each played a regular season non-conference game against a very winnable opponent after the ACC Tournament as there is an extra week before Selection Monday to keep sharp. But of late we haven't done that.

burnspbesq
05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Latest update to RPI has Duke at 10. Probably safely in the tournament, but you never know until you see your name on the board.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-men/d1/ncaa-mens-lacrosse-rpi

duke2x
05-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the link.

Inside lacrosse has Duke @ Hop (#8 seed) in its latest bracketology. Hop has to play its Big 10 tournament games yet, however. They beat PSU in overtime and lost to Rutgers (1st up) and Maryland. The numerical difference between Duke and Hop is small enough that Hop should fall behind us in RPI if they lose either game. To make a long story short (too late), I still think we might have a small chance of another game at Koskinen Stadium if we beat BU. See link below at Laxpower for frequent RPI updates for this weekend.

http://laxpower.com/update16/binmen/rpi01.php

burnspbesq
05-05-2016, 08:48 PM
One big upset tonight.

Vermont rode a 17-save performance by Jon Kaplan to a 10-9 win over Stony Brook in the America East semis. That eliminates the possibility of SB upsetting Albany and popping somebody's bubble (huge sigh of relief in Cheater Hill).

As I write this, Marquette has a three-goal lead on Nova in Q4.

burnspbesq
05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Final score Marquette 14, Villanova 9.

Albany just scored two in a row to take a 10-8 lead on Hartford with about five minutes to go.

burnspbesq
05-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Hartford is about to go man-up with 43 seconds to go, down 10-9.

burnspbesq
05-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Hartford wins in OT. Count that as a bid theft. So much for that sigh of relief. Did Vermont, the three seed, pack their white unis?

duke2x
05-05-2016, 10:47 PM
I am actually ecstatic about tonight's results. It's the perfect storm with Villlanova and Hop losing. That puts us at #8 in the RPI at least. Do we host with a win Sunday?

burnspbesq
05-05-2016, 11:29 PM
I am actually ecstatic about tonight's results. It's the perfect storm with Villlanova and Hop losing. That puts us at #8 in the RPI at least. Do we host with a win Sunday?

Certainly a possibility. And if Rutgers were to beat Murlund, that would shrink the bubble even further.

Here's the complete list of championship game matchups for Saturday.

AmEast: Vermont - Hartford
Big East: Denver -Marquette
Big Ten: Maryland - Rutgers
Colonial: Towson - Fairfield
MAAC: Quinnipiac - Marist
NEC: St. Joseph's - Hobart
SoCon: Air Force - Richmond

budwom
05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Nice for the vicious Catamounts...unprecedented success for them, good to see them get some publicity.

DST Fan
05-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Rutgers takes out JHU by a score of 14-12 and the RPI has Duke at number 8 this morning, with Hopkins slipping to number 10.

MCFinARL
05-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Rutgers takes out JHU by a score of 14-12 and the RPI has Duke at number 8 this morning, with Hopkins slipping to number 10.

Sounds like good news. Even our Richmond loss may be looking a little less bad at this point. Now to keep focus against BU.

burnspbesq
05-06-2016, 08:34 PM
IL's Friday bracketology update has Thursday night's carnage moving Duke all the way up to the five seed, hosting Navy in the first round. Somehow Carolina is still in the field, and Yale's win over Penn prevented any further shrinkage of the bubble.

Root for Rutgers!

burnspbesq
05-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Duke's RPI is getting better as we sit around. Harvard has a three-goal lead on Brown with under threeminutes to play. Morgan Cheek has nine goals for Harvard.

burnspbesq
05-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Hahvahd holds on for the 13-12 win.

DST Fan
05-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Coming off exams, I hope the team starts strongly on Sunday. Although BU is near the bottom of the Patriot League with an RPI ranking of 35 and 4 straight losses, one of those losses is by one goal to Loyola. They also had wins over Navy in double overtime and Harvard earlier in the year. It's probably best not to let BU hang around in the game for too long.

MCFinARL
05-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Coming off exams, I hope the team starts strongly on Sunday. Although BU is near the bottom of the Patriot League with an RPI ranking of 35 and 4 straight losses, one of those losses is by one goal to Loyola. They also had wins over Navy in double overtime and Harvard earlier in the year. It's probably best not to let BU hang around in the game for too long.

Agree completely. This year is sort of like what they used to say about the NFL--on any given day, any given team, etc. etc. Duke can't be taking anything lightly.

burnspbesq
05-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Championship Saturday off to a great start. Hartford holds on for a 17-16 win in the America East. Air Force and Richmond going to OT in SoCon.

ETA: Zoomies win it.

dpslaw
05-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Is there a game delay? I see nothing on Twitter.

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot.

DST Fan
05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Marquette is up 10-9 on Denver in the 4th. A win by Marquette would help Duke's RPI.

DST Fan
05-07-2016, 07:38 PM
It's final. Marquette takes down Denver 10-9.

burnspbesq
05-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Scarlet Knights looking like the Black Knight: Maryland leads, 13-7, going to Q4.

duke2x
05-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Our RPI dropped to #9 tonight, but we have really big margins of victory over #6 Loyola and #7 Marquette. #8 is Albany.

Duke wins, No. 7 seed. My random guess just perusing the results and selection rules (that are tossed aside as needed):

1. Maryland-PIG
8. Marquette-UNC (UNC uses up a travel spot unless Loyola or Hopkins host.)
4. ND-last in (Harvard or Navy, uses travel spot for any team but Marquette)
5. Brown/Yale-Loyola/Hopkins/Albany
2. Denver-Air Force/PIG (uses last travel spot)
7. Duke-Hopkins/Loyola (only Hopkins and Loyola can play @Duke to avoid travel)
3. Brown/Yale-Towson
6. Syracuse-Albany/Loyola/Harvard

Duke loses, it could be really interesting. I think we have a better resume than Hopkins and UNC, but it's not a good last impression to lose to RPI #36 on Selection Sunday. There may be riots in Annapolis if Harvard wins, Duke loses, and Navy sits at home. I think we end up at Marquette instead of Loyola if we lose.

budwom
05-08-2016, 08:27 AM
No better example of the variability of play this year (see Duke loss to Richmond) than noting Duke's
whomping of Marquette, who then beats Denver. For sure, the BU game is one we don't want to
screw up...and it's going to be rainy and windy in Beantown...

p.s. that band of weather is moving through here now, and it's not the kind of weather you want for a lacrosse game (though I don't
think we'll see any thunderstorms)...windy, dark and nasty...