PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Stevens to UConn

DU82
04-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Meanwhile, Azura Stevens has chosen to transfer to UConn.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/04/former-duke-womens-basketball-star-azur-stevens-to-transfer-to-connecticut

(Making Uh No very happy.)

NSDukeFan
04-30-2016, 04:47 PM
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

Kedsy
04-30-2016, 05:42 PM
Meanwhile, Azura Stevens has chosen to transfer to UConn.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/04/former-duke-womens-basketball-star-azur-stevens-to-transfer-to-connecticut

Ugh. Can it possibly get any worse?

GGLC
04-30-2016, 05:48 PM
Sigh. This makes me really sad.

TruBlu
04-30-2016, 05:52 PM

This makes it really difficult to wish her well at her new gig.

And yes, it could be worse. Could be going to unc.

wilson
04-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Reaffirmation of why I don't take women's basketball seriously. Disappointed in Duke's inability to seal this deal.

DU82
04-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Reaffirmation of why I don't take women's basketball seriously. Disappointed in Duke's inability to seal this deal.

I'm sorry, but what the heck does this mean? What deal didn't Duke "seal"? She announced she was transferring. Nothing was going to change that, not even a coaching change. So this means women's basketball is irrelevant ( not being taken seriously)? Wow.

Guess since Thornton is transferring and won't return to Duke, and the men's coaching staff couldn't "seal the deal", the men's basketball must now not be taken seriously either.

Newton_14
04-30-2016, 08:27 PM
It stinks. I so wish the UCONN Reign would come to an end. Personally, I think what they have done is terrible for Women's Basketball on the whole. It's like UCLA of yesteryear on steroids. The game would be so much better if the talent was spread around like it is on the men's side.

There is no fun in watching one team beat everyone by 30 to 60 every single game including the NCAA Tourney. When the #1 team in the Country is 25 points better than #2 it is not good for the game. Sorry Uh No, just my opinion. Something needs to change.

aswewere
04-30-2016, 08:47 PM
It stinks. I so wish the UCONN Reign would come to an end. Personally, I think what they have done is terrible for Women's Basketball on the whole. It's like UCLA of yesteryear on steroids. The game would be so much better if the talent was spread around like it is on the men's side.

There is no fun in watching one team beat everyone by 30 to 60 every single game including the NCAA Tourney. When the #1 team in the Country is 25 points better than #2 it is not good for the game. Sorry Uh No, just my opinion. Something needs to change.

The talent is getting better and more spread out every year, its the coaching that got to catch up. Notre Dame is the only ACC
team that gets the talent and coaching to be a contender plus Louisville on occasions. Most games you watch do not have any real
form of offense except pound it inside or jack up 3s and in game adjustments are confined to blaming the referees or your players later.

wilson
04-30-2016, 09:31 PM
I'm sorry, but what the heck does this mean? What deal didn't Duke "seal"? She announced she was transferring. Nothing was going to change that, not even a coaching change. So this means women's basketball is irrelevant ( not being taken seriously)? Wow.

Guess since Thornton is transferring and won't return to Duke, and the men's coaching staff couldn't "seal the deal", the men's basketball must now not be taken seriously either.UConn wins women's basketball every year, and that renders the sport largely irrelevant to most casual fans. It's disappointing for both individual programs and for the sport overall that noone has been able to capitalize on top-level talent to challenge UConn recently.
I understand Auriemma's contention that it's unfair to criticize his program's recent dominance, but I do not think it's good at all for the sport's broader appeal.

Dukehky
04-30-2016, 09:55 PM
UConn wins women's basketball every year, and that renders the sport largely irrelevant to most casual fans. It's disappointing for both individual programs and for the sport overall that noone has been able to capitalize on top-level talent to challenge UConn recently.
I understand Auriemma's contention that it's unfair to criticize his program's recent dominance, but I do not think it's good at all for the sport's broader appeal.

Respectfully disagree, I think the dominance is entertaining, and one day they will fall, and it will be one of the biggest stories in sports because of their dominance.

Geno is going to coach in the NBA pretty soon I think, then we'll see how they do.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-30-2016, 10:41 PM
Respectfully disagree, I think the dominance is entertaining, and one day they will fall, and it will be one of the biggest stories in sports because of their dominance.

Geno is going to coach in the NBA pretty soon I think, then we'll see how they do.

I doubt he'll jump to the pros. He was quoted once as saying the only job he'd leave UCONN for was Duke. Now wouldn't THAT be somethin'?
Love, Ima

Indoor66
05-01-2016, 07:41 AM
I doubt he'll jump to the pros. He was quoted once as saying the only job he'd leave UCONN for was Duke. Now wouldn't THAT be somethin'?
Love, Ima

MIght be one way to get Azura back! :rolleyes::cool:

Kedsy
05-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Love, Ima

I think when he said that, he was referring to Duke's men's team.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-01-2016, 10:22 AM
I think when he said that, he was referring to Duke's men's team.

IIRC I don't think so.
Love, Ima

tbyers11
05-01-2016, 10:33 AM
IIRC I don't think so.
Love, Ima

I remember it like Kedsy did

Comment appeared to be from an interview in 2010
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?20463-Geno-Auriemma-wants-to-be-Duke-MENS-coach

jimsumner
05-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Do not tempt fate. Please.

Kfanarmy
05-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Love, Ima

Why would he leave for a competitive job? As long as he continues to have half of the top 25 or so players in WBB on his roster, he will continue to assault the record books. He is playing a completely different game than most WBB coaches. In any MBB league at college or professional level, he would just be one of many. Much like UCLA in the latter Wooden years, UCONN is recruiting itself, and there simply isn't enough talent to make a competitive field without force distributing the upper tier of talent.

Edouble
05-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Why would he leave for a competitive job? As long as he continues to have half of the top 25 or so players in WBB on his roster, he will continue to assault the record books.

Even with the top talent, nothing is given to you. You still have to seal the deal.

Kfanarmy
05-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Even with the top talent, nothing is given to you. You still have to seal the deal.

Absolutely don't mean to imply he didn't earn the top spot, just that it is immeasurably easier to maintain.

aswewere
05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Why would he leave for a competitive job? As long as he continues to have half of the top 25 or so players in WBB on his roster, he will continue to assault the record books. He is playing a completely different game than most WBB coaches. In any MBB league at college or professional level, he would just be one of many. Much like UCLA in the latter Wooden years, UCONN is recruiting itself, and there simply isn't enough talent to make a competitive field without force distributing the upper tier of talent.

Handling all those egos, getting them to stay on board until its there time, tougher than most to get the very best from you,
running a very complex offense in the women's game with out the great athletes in men's basketball and having the best
family atmosphere with total respect in the game. Sorry at any level he would not be one of many, move over Wooden
& Coach K.

Kfanarmy
05-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Handling all those egos, getting them to stay on board until its there time, tougher than most to get the very best from you,
running a very complex offense in the women's game with out the great athletes in men's basketball and having the best
family atmosphere with total respect in the game. Sorry at any level he would not be one of many, move over Wooden
& Coach K.

Until he coaches a men's team, he shouldn't be in the same convo. They simply aren't in the same competitive universe.

SupaDave
05-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Oh they have fallen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2LmuQ3VDYM

ncexnyc
05-01-2016, 10:58 PM
So is this WBB a new sport? From what a few people on this board are writing it appears so.

I'm sorry, but while UConn is certainly getting a number of the top players that doesn't explain the disparity between that team and all the others. Are some of you saying female players aren't selfish and don't care about being the top dog on their respective team? WBB isn't some new fad and there are plenty of young women playing the game. There's more than enough talent out there for a contender to rise and seriously challenge UConn.

Winning programs take time and a commitment from both the coaches and the schools involved. Duke managed to establish itself as a contender under the previous WBB coach. I don't see why it can't happen again if the university is sincere about supporting a team.

sagegrouse
05-02-2016, 09:14 AM
So is this WBB a new sport? From what a few people on this board are writing it appears so.

I'm sorry, but while UConn is certainly getting a number of the top players that doesn't explain the disparity between that team and all the others.

In the latest WNBA draft, UConn players went #1, #2, and #3. That seems to reflect a significant "talent disparity" over other teams.

Kfanarmy
05-02-2016, 09:32 AM

I'm sorry, but while UConn is certainly getting a number of the top players that doesn't explain the disparity between that team and all the others. Are some of you saying female players aren't selfish and don't care about being the top dog on their respective team? WBB isn't some new fad and there are plenty of young women playing the game. There's more than enough talent out there for a contender to rise and seriously challenge UConn.

Winning programs take time and a commitment from both the coaches and the schools involved. Duke managed to establish itself as a contender under the previous WBB coach. I don't see why it can't happen again if the university is sincere about supporting a team.

Interestingly the Men's first national championship tournament was in 1939; John Wooden won his first in 64 -- 25 years into MBB history.
The first women's championship was played in 1971; Auriemma won his first in 95-- 24 years into WBB history. I'd say you've got the combination of a fairly young sport and a very good coach. Can't deny their exceptionalism in their time period, but I think if you take either one out and make them a MBB coach tomorrow, they would not be as dominant. The Men's game is simply much more competitive today, because there is more talent and there is less disparity between the "top tier" and the "second tier." I'm not sure we'll ever see the day when WBB is as competitive; we, as a society, simply don't encourage young girls/women to get into competitive sports to the same degree as boys.

jimsumner
05-02-2016, 10:45 AM
In the latest WNBA draft, UConn players went #1, #2, and #3. That seems to reflect a significant "talent disparity" over other teams.

Or it could suggest superior talent development.

DukieInKansas
05-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Just wondering - was Azura originally recruited by UConn?

dudog84
05-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Or it could suggest superior talent development.

Or not. In the 2012 high school rankings, Breanna Stewart was #1, Moriah Jefferson was #2, Alexis Jones was #3 (still in college), Jewell Loyd was #4 (left last year), Bashaara Graves was #5 (drafted 2nd round), and Morgan Tuck was #6.

Also, the difference between the #1 player and #10 player in any class is much greater in WBB than MBB. And then every few years there is a player in WBB that is significantly better than anybody for several classes. Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Brittney Griner, Breanna Stewart. Notice Geno gets most of those.

There is no doubt that UConn's dominance is bad for WBB. Unless you're a UConn fan, you can't be happy and probably don't bother to watch. However, you can't expect Geno to take his foot off the pedal. Or off everyone else's necks.

jimsumner
05-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Or not. In the 2012 high school rankings, Breanna Stewart was #1, Moriah Jefferson was #2, Alexis Jones was #3 (still in college), Jewell Loyd was #4 (left last year), Bashaara Graves was #5 (drafted 2nd round), and Morgan Tuck was #6.

Also, the difference between the #1 player and #10 player in any class is much greater in WBB than MBB. And then every few years there is a player in WBB that is significantly better than anybody for several classes. Diana Taurasi, Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Brittney Griner, Breanna Stewart. Notice Geno gets most of those.

There is no doubt that UConn's dominance is bad for WBB. Unless you're a UConn fan, you can't be happy and probably don't bother to watch. However, you can't expect Geno to take his foot off the pedal. Or off everyone else's necks.

Gee, if only I could find a counterexample of a WBB program that consistently has great recruiting classes without commensurate post-season success.

No one is saying Geno doesn't have great recruiting success. But he maximizes those players' potential on a consistent level and turns them into pretty good teams.

And the top players notice. And the cycle perpetuates. But his talent-development skills cannot be discounted. It matters.

Pghdukie
05-02-2016, 09:08 PM
UCONN will continue to excel. There isn't a major draw to get his players to leave early. OAD just hasn't hit WBB, therefore, Gen only has to go after 2-3 players a year in recruiting. Hence, he has a program to sell, and the best are buying year after year.

Newton_14
05-02-2016, 11:49 PM
The talent is getting better and more spread out every year, its the coaching that got to catch up. Notre Dame is the only ACC
team that gets the talent and coaching to be a contender plus Louisville on occasions. Most games you watch do not have any real
form of offense except pound it inside or jack up 3s and in game adjustments are confined to blaming the referees or your players later.

So there are 3 good coaches in Women's College Hoops, total? UConn, ND, and occasionally the Louisville coach? That's it?

aswewere
05-03-2016, 06:38 AM
So there are 3 good coaches in Women's College Hoops, total? UConn, ND, and occasionally the Louisville coach? That's it?

There are probably half dozen more but they don't consistently bring in top level recruits.

throatybeard
05-03-2016, 11:08 AM

So, you don't take an entire sport seriously because Duke hired one problematic coach, and it results in transfers to better programs?

Good thing I don't judge MBB by... any number of coaches.

wilson
05-03-2016, 11:16 AM
So, you don't take an entire sport seriously because Duke hired one problematic coach, and it results in transfers to better programs?

Good thing I don't judge MBB by... any number of coaches.No, my point (which I didn't make very well) was that I am not interested in a sport that so heavily concentrates top-level talent and annual success in one program. As I said before, I fully understand and respect Geno Auriemma's contention that other programs should either put up or shut up. More power to him and the UConn women who steamroll the nation year after year. I'm just not gonna watch it. Same reason I'm not interested in La Liga (Spanish soccer), where Barcelona and Madrid are the only places that matter, or the Bundesliga (German soccer), where Bayern and Borussia have the title on lockdown. There's just no intrigue in it for me.

Mike Corey
05-03-2016, 11:59 AM
FWIW:

Recruiting rankings for UConn's last few classes:

2016: 14
2015: 3
2014: 4
2013: Unranked (they only had a single recruit, 4-star Saniya Chong)
2012: 1

sagegrouse
05-03-2016, 12:04 PM
No, my point (which I didn't make very well) was that I am not interested in a sport that so heavily concentrates top-level talent and annual success in one program. As I said before, I fully understand and respect Geno Auriemma's contention that other programs should either put up or shut up. More power to him and the UConn women who steamroll the nation year after year. I'm just not gonna watch it. Same reason I'm not interested in La Liga (Spanish soccer), where Barcelona and Madrid are the only places that matter, or the Bundesliga (German soccer), where Bayern and Borussia have the title on lockdown. There's just no intrigue in it for me.

I can tell you're a fan of the English Premier League, where Leicester City -- a 5,000 to one shot -- just won the championship.

wilson
05-03-2016, 12:19 PM
I can tell you're a fan of the English Premier League, where Leicester City -- a 5,000 to one shot -- just won the championship.In a soccer context, yes, that type of league is much more interesting to me. The EPL has been plenty topheavy over the years too, but four different clubs have won the title in the last four years, and parity was one of the stories of this season.
Once again...I respect dominance, and understand that some find it entertaining. But as for my own personal enjoyment, I do not care for such predictability and a tightly limited list of teams who could potentially win the title.

diablesseblu
05-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Well, at one time, Anson Dorrance and his UNC ladies team absolutely dominated soccer a la Geno and UCONN in WBB.

That has turned around. Not sure exactly why, but maybe's there's hope for more parity in WBB?

PackMan97
05-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Well, at one time, Anson Dorrance and his UNC ladies team absolutely dominated soccer a la Geno and UCONN in WBB.

That has turned around. Not sure exactly why, but maybe's there's hope for more parity in WBB?

Two big things happened in Women's Soccer
#1 - Dorrance was proven to be a class one CREAP and ***HOLE. This allowed other schools to leech off enough talent to be competitive.
#2 - UNC had to shut down their paper classes which meant their girls had to do work and no longer had the advantage of doing something like playing for the US National Team while enrolled full time in fake courses.

Both of these have really dropped the UNC program down a few notches.

--------------------

As for UConn, I think the difference between the mens and women's game is with MBB a star player's goal is to get a great coach (Pitino, Boeheim, K, Izzo and a few others), play with a few other great players and make some noise during the season/NCAA to get your name out in the public and then turn pro after a year (or two). You can't do that on a stacked team. So the elite talent naturally spreads itself out so that each player tries to maximize their exposure (play on a team with other great players) but also tries to maximize their opportunity (but not too many great players). When a guy signs with Duke, or UK, or MSU, they know that during the season they'll get to play against plenty of good players.

With WBB, there isn't enough talent to make all of the teams good. The difference between UConn and a top 5 team is huge, the difference between top 5 and top 25 is huge. The difference between top 25 and top 100 is even bigger. If you want to play against the best players in WBB right now, you need to go play at UConn and do it during practice. There aren't enough WNBA jobs out there that you can afford to be a big fish in a small pond because any fish in the UConn pond is going to eat you for a snack if you try that. These girls that go play for UConn are simply trying to maximize their chance at a WNBA career.

CameronBornAndBred
05-03-2016, 01:50 PM

To be fair...they totally cheated.

(Ahh...I see packman pointed that out as well.)

bluedevilsince72
05-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Anyone else think Williams comments (from article posted on DBR today) about what Uconn can offer Stevens to be a slight on the Duke program?

Williams - "she wants to continue to grow her game and she wants to win and that is something UConn is all about."

Doria
05-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Anyone else think Williams comments (from article posted on DBR today) about what Uconn can offer Stevens to be a slight on the Duke program?

Williams - "she wants to continue to grow her game and she wants to win and that is something UConn is all about."

It might be, especially the first part, but can anyone really dispute that UConn WBB is all about winning, regardless of what school from which you hail?

Kedsy
05-05-2016, 02:06 PM

Anyone else think it doesn't matter anymore? The Duke program can't be "slighted" any more than it has been by Azura deciding to transfer.

Indoor66
05-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Anyone else think it doesn't matter anymore? The Duke program can't be "slighted" any more than it has been by Azura deciding to transfer.

I guess the same applies to the Men's side since Thornton decided to transfer?

Steven43
05-05-2016, 02:39 PM
I guess the same applies to the Men's side since Thornton decided to transfer?

With all due respect, it appears you completely misunderstood Kedsy's point.

aswewere
05-05-2016, 04:52 PM
With all due respect, it appears you completely misunderstood Kedsy's point.

Not really the problems are always on the players. Its about eight years late for this coaching staff to say the buck stops here.

hallcity
05-06-2016, 07:20 PM
McCallie loses Laura Keeley, if she ever had her. (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article76130947.html#navlink=Lead)

aswewere
05-06-2016, 07:42 PM
McCallie loses Laura Keeley, if she ever had her. (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article76130947.html#navlink=Lead)

Every thing Laura has written here a lot of us have sent things similar to our ADs for years. Coach Ps X & Os were from 1990s and maybe my way or the highway
worked then but its a different game today.

Kedsy
05-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Every thing Laura has written here a lot of us have sent things similar to our ADs for years. Coach Ps X & Os were from 1990s and maybe my way or the highway
worked then but its a different game today.

You're really enjoying yourself, aren't you?

aswewere
05-06-2016, 08:37 PM
You're really enjoying yourself, aren't you?

Sorry I love my Duke and never want to see anything but sunshine all over our great university. That's one of the reasons I sent my concerns many years ago.

msdukie
05-06-2016, 10:37 PM
The fact that Debbie Antonelli, who is a very respected women's college basketball analyst and covers lots of Duke games, agrees strongly with exactly what Duke fans have been harping on for years and years (to the administration, on message boards, etc.) about what they see as the serious deficiencies in P's ability to coach X and O's, make adjustments, and develop talent is pretty damning.

Inonehand
05-07-2016, 06:35 AM
The fact that Debbie Antonelli, who is a very respected women's college basketball analyst and covers lots of Duke games, agrees strongly with exactly what Duke fans have been harping on for years and years (to the administration, on message boards, etc.) about what they see as the serious deficiencies in P's ability to coach X and O's, make adjustments, and develop talent is pretty damning.

What I find damning, is that pretty much everyone seems to believe the look into player abuse is a cover for simply trying to avoid buying out the rest of the contract that Duke extended. It isn't right. Pay the woman off if you want to get rid of her.

Owen Meany
05-07-2016, 07:43 AM
What I find damning, is that pretty much everyone seems to believe the look into player abuse is a cover for simply trying to avoid buying out the rest of the contract that Duke extended. It isn't right. Pay the woman off if you want to get rid of her.

I am usually reluctant to speak for others. But I feel confident saying that this is not the feeling among pretty much everyone.

cspan37421
05-07-2016, 07:49 AM

There are good reasons - unrelated to her contract - to make the inquiry, but it does not look good that the inquiry did not commence until such a time as when the results on the court began to differ sharply from the results on the recruiting trail.

aswewere
05-07-2016, 08:09 AM
There are good reasons - unrelated to her contract - to make the inquiry, but it does not look good that the inquiry did not commence until such a time as when the results on the court began to differ sharply from the results on the recruiting trail.

Probably hoping for a miracle to come along to cover up her contract extension. There was plenty of stuff in her closet then if they had even looked.

bluedevilsince72
05-07-2016, 08:54 PM
Oh boy - Id love to see Antonelli interview Coach P at some point in the future. Wouldn't be awkward at all. Not many people know Antonelli went to Cary HS, same as Azura. Not sure if she is the most objective person on the subject of Coach P. Also, has she ever coached? Why should I listen to her at all in regards to basketball strategies?

I wonder if the N and O will ever be able to dig deeper into the allegations of player misconduct. Will any former players ever speak up publicly? Doesn't look like it.

jimsumner
05-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Antonelli is well-respected in WBB circles.

This is not the first time I've heard her express this opinion. Nor the strongest.

She is not alone in her opinions.

The abuse investigation is not a manufactured excuse.

miramar
05-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Probably hoping for a miracle to come along to cover up her contract extension. There was plenty of stuff in her closet then if they had even looked.

From 2013, when Duke extended Coach P's contract until 2018-19:

“I’m delighted that Duke University will be able to rely on the commitment of coach Joanne P. McCallie for years to come,” said Duke University President Richard H. Brodhead. “Joanne’s record of achievement with Duke women’s basketball is rivaled only by her superb leadership and mentorship of our student-athletes. Joanne’s continued role as head coach ensures that Duke women’s basketball lives up to our highest aspirations for athletics at Duke while being aligned with our fundamental university values.”

“It is with great enthusiasm that Duke Athletics formally announces the extension of Coach Joanne P. McCallie’s contract through the 2018-19 season,” said [AD Kevin] White. “Joanne’s amazing track record of success – both on and off the basketball court – speaks for itself. With her extraordinary winning percentage, coupled with outstanding graduation rates and academic success, we are extremely proud to have an elite coach such as Joanne firmly established as the leader of the Duke women’s basketball program. To be sure, we are thrilled to announce this long-term extension to secure Joanne’s considerable talents at Duke University for the long term!”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207326061

bluedevilsince72
05-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Antonelli is well-respected in WBB circles.

This is not the first time I've heard her express this opinion. Nor the strongest.

She is not alone in her opinions.

The abuse investigation is not a manufactured excuse.

Im not in the save McCallie camp. Just pointing out that Antonelli has never coached. I don't really want to hear opinions on coaching strategy if you've never been a high level D1 coach. I don't mind her opinions on observing P's inability to develop strong relationships.

I don't think the abuse investigation is manufactured either. I just keep waiting for a current player to speak out which would help speed up this process. The July recruiting period is coming up quickly and there is no way Duke can get a quality recruit with this hanging over everyone.

jimsumner
05-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Im not in the save McCallie camp. Just pointing out that Antonelli has never coached. I don't really want to hear opinions on coaching strategy if you've never been a high level D1 coach. I don't mind her opinions on observing P's inability to develop strong relationships.

So, you would agree that Jim Spanarkel, Mike Gminski, Jason Williams, Grant Hill and Shane Battier should keep their mouths shut on coaching strategy?

bluedevilsince72
05-07-2016, 09:21 PM
So, you would agree that Jim Spanarkel, Mike Gminski, Jason Williams, Grant Hill and Shane Battier should keep their mouths shut on coaching strategy?

Yes - I don't think former players know near as much as guys that have coached. I will listen always listen more to guys that have coached - Bilas, Van Gundy , Greenberg, Fran Fraschilla. The one exception being Vitale.

I like listening to the guys you mentioned but their knowledge of the game falls far short of guys that have coached and been in the fire. I bet most of the guys you mentioned would say the same thing.

diablesseblu
05-07-2016, 09:47 PM
I

I don't think the abuse investigation is manufactured either. I just keep waiting for a current player to speak out which would help speed up this process. The July recruiting period is coming up quickly and there is no way Duke can get a quality recruit with this hanging over everyone.

Cannot imagine that a current player would ever comment on this situation. That would be a "no win" proposition for them.

Am convinced there's more than enough information out there for JPM to be properly evaluated. Also, the current recruiting period should be a minor consideration in this process. It should not be rushed based on that concern.

Anyway, according to Ms. Antonelli, the previous stellar quality of recruits is not translating to major gains on the court/in the win column.

Inonehand
05-07-2016, 09:49 PM
I am usually reluctant to speak for others. But I feel confident saying that this is not the feeling among pretty much everyone.

Ok. Everyone I know with a connection to the situation. I'm in no way defending Coach P. I'm simply saying all the issues have been around for awhile and she was still extended. Now after 2 very mediocre seasons and missing the tourney this year...there is a review.

jimsumner
05-07-2016, 10:09 PM
Yes - I don't think former players know near as much as guys that have coached. I will listen always listen more to guys that have coached - Bilas, Van Gundy , Greenberg, Fran Fraschilla. The one exception being Vitale.

I like listening to the guys you mentioned but their knowledge of the game falls far short of guys that have coached and been in the fire. I bet most of the guys you mentioned would say the same thing.

You do realize there's a difference between this statement and your earlier statement that you didn't want to hear any opinions from anyone who had never been a D-1 coach.

The best analysts do their homework, know the game, know the players, know the coaches, know the context and can communicate that knowledge to their audience.

And it is possible, IMO, to do that successfully without having a coaching spot on your resume.

bluedevilsince72
05-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Coaches will always know more. Those other guys can be very knowledgeable and informative. Im just saying I will always listen more to former coaches. Obviously, that is not what you think. Its ok.

GGLC
05-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Coaches will always know more. Those other guys can be very knowledgeable and informative. Im just saying I will always listen more to former coaches. Obviously, that is not what you think. Its ok.

So find me a former coach that says that Coach P's offensive strategies are not rudimentary and predictable, and then we can talk.

bluedevilsince72
05-07-2016, 10:53 PM
So find me a former coach that says that Coach P's offensive strategies are not rudimentary and predictable, and then we can talk.

I agree with you. We would never find a coach that likes Coach P's offense.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-08-2016, 03:59 AM
Im not in the save McCallie camp. Just pointing out that Antonelli has never coached. I don't really want to hear opinions on coaching strategy if you've never been a high level D1 coach.

You do realize that maybe 30% of the posts on this message board are opinions on coaching strategy from non D1 coaches?

Sorta the idea of the forum.

jimsumner
05-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Ok. Everyone I know with a connection to the situation. I'm in no way defending Coach P. I'm simply saying all the issues have been around for awhile and she was still extended. Now after 2 very mediocre seasons and missing the tourney this year...there is a review.

I'm probably pushing the boundaries here but I'll repeat what I've said in other threads.

The termination of Lauren Rice as video coordinator was a tipping point. Last straw. Crossing the Rubicon. Point of no return. Drawing a line in the sand.

You get my drift.

Inonehand
05-08-2016, 06:15 PM
I'm probably pushing the boundaries here but I'll repeat what I've said in other threads.

The termination of Lauren Rice as video coordinator was a tipping point. Last straw. Crossing the Rubicon. Point of no return. Drawing a line in the sand.

You get my drift.

I can appreciate that. I knew and liked Lauren. Respected her as well. Will get off this subject but I do stand by the feeling that contracts should be honestly abided by. We extended her. If we want her to leave we should fire her and pay. This "evaluation" doesn't feel right.

ncexnyc
05-08-2016, 06:31 PM
From 2013, when Duke extended Coach P's contract until 2018-19:

“I’m delighted that Duke University will be able to rely on the commitment of coach Joanne P. McCallie for years to come,” said Duke University President Richard H. Brodhead. “Joanne’s record of achievement with Duke women’s basketball is rivaled only by her superb leadership and mentorship of our student-athletes. Joanne’s continued role as head coach ensures that Duke women’s basketball lives up to our highest aspirations for athletics at Duke while being aligned with our fundamental university values.”

“It is with great enthusiasm that Duke Athletics formally announces the extension of Coach Joanne P. McCallie’s contract through the 2018-19 season,” said [AD Kevin] White. “Joanne’s amazing track record of success – both on and off the basketball court – speaks for itself. With her extraordinary winning percentage, coupled with outstanding graduation rates and academic success, we are extremely proud to have an elite coach such as Joanne firmly established as the leader of the Duke women’s basketball program. To be sure, we are thrilled to announce this long-term extension to secure Joanne’s considerable talents at Duke University for the long term!”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207326061
So did you buy everything that the folks from UNCheat had to say about Ol' Roy when they extended his contract?:confused::confused: