PDA

View Full Version : Duke lacrosse 10, ND 9 in OT

fuse
04-29-2016, 10:49 PM
Notre Dame must absolutely hate Duke.

An unbelievable effort in the second half after Notre Dame's defense was dominant in the first half.

Love the grit and heart.

Let's Go Duke!

DukieInKansas
04-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Whoo Hoo!

Native
04-29-2016, 10:50 PM
HUGE WIN! Let's go juice the Orange and get a banner.

Blue in the Face
04-29-2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah. What a solid comeback and fantastic finish. It'd be nice to have gotten a shot at payback at Carolina, but they just didn't play the part. Kind of a shame, but on to Cuse!

MCFinARL
04-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Yes, just happy to be in the championship game. Duke's defense continues to be way better than earlier in the season. The offense, while starting out slow, came on late to get it to overtime and win. Great game.

53n206
04-29-2016, 11:21 PM
Good win. ND is a good team. Ours is a little better. A real turn around game and season. Hard to see our seniors go, they have been so fun to watch. But the new generation of players will have outstanding leaders next year. It will soon be time to say "The King is dead, long live thr King". But not unite yet, at least 2 more games.

DST Fan
04-29-2016, 11:29 PM
The defense is playing like an entirely different unit the past several weeks and deserves much of the credit for the win. In particular, without Danny Fowler tonight, the deficit in the third quarter would have been much more than four goals and I doubt Duke would have been able to recover.

MCFinARL
04-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Yeah. What a solid comeback and fantastic finish. It'd be nice to have gotten a shot at payback at Carolina, but they just didn't play the part. Kind of a shame, but on to Cuse!

Nice David Lawson reference!

JetpackJesus
04-29-2016, 11:37 PM
http://youtu.be/HNrYhCKk2DI

Doria
04-30-2016, 12:33 AM
That was very entertaining! I'm so glad I watched, though I'll confess that I thought they scored "a lot" in the first half, haha. I was also a bit surprised by how big those guys all seem. It wasn't too hard to get oriented on offense, but I'm still having trouble seeing the defensive sets. I guess it'll be one of those things I pick up as I go along.

Thanks again, guys, for helping me cram the rules. I'm still a little uncertain how much contact is typically allowed. The penalties they called were pretty clear, but some things that seemed routine no calls looked like hockey plays.

DukieInKansas
04-30-2016, 08:58 AM

That was sweet and never gets old!

Faison1
04-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Wow! That's a huge win!! Congrats guys!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised....Coach D always seems to get his team playing at a high level by the end of the season. Hopefully he continues to coach indefinitely.

burnspbesq
04-30-2016, 11:32 AM
Great game. Great atmosphere in the stadium. Come on down!

In Duke's current three-game win streak, different players have stepped up every game. Last night it was Chad Cohan and Ian Yanulis. It doesn't show in the box score, but I also thought Peter Welch had an outstanding game against Perkovic. Rowe (18-23) and Fowler (12 saves) were very good.

Since giving up 32 to Cuse and Carolina, Duke has given up 26 in four games. Whatever changes were made have clearly worked. One thing i noticed, sitting right behind the Duke bench, was the extent to which the bench guys share information about what they are seeing with the defenders and d-mids when they come off. It really is a team effort.

TKG
04-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Does the consensus remain that we must win the ACC Tournament to make the NCAA Tournament?

budwom
04-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Does the consensus remain that we must win the ACC Tournament to make the NCAA Tournament?

Absolutely not, I think there's no doubt that we're in. They even mentioned last night, pre game, that the latest NCAA issued view of their own
top 10 included Duke as number 9....Quint said Duke was inside the bubble at that point. The win removed any doubt whatsoever.

TKG
04-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks budwom. Appreciate the response. I can now exhale before tomorrow's game.

DST Fan
04-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Great game. Great atmosphere in the stadium. Come on down!

In Duke's current three-game win streak, different players have stepped up every game. Last night it was Chad Cohan and Ian Yanulis. It doesn't show in the box score, but I also thought Peter Welch had an outstanding game against Perkovic. Rowe (18-23) and Fowler (12 saves) were very good.

Since giving up 32 to Cuse and Carolina, Duke has given up 26 in four games. Whatever changes were made have clearly worked. One thing i noticed, sitting right behind the Duke bench, was the extent to which the bench guys share information about what they are seeing with the defenders and d-mids when they come off. It really is a team effort.

I doubt anyone would have predicted a win over Notre Dame with limited goal production from Miles Jones (1), Justin Guterding (1) and Deemer Class (2). In addition to Chad Cohen, I thought Case Matheis was a major contributor on offense with his passing. I understand Case has been banged up the last two years. If he is completely healthy, I think he provides another major scoring threat at attack with Guterding, which hopefully will force opposing defenses to limit their focus on the midfield.

pamtelp
04-30-2016, 03:02 PM
While a win tomorrow is not likely necessary for an ncaa bid, it could have meaningful impact on our seeding. It could help us avoid the 1 or 2 seed in the second round and may even result in a seeded home game for us. Plus an ACC championship :) and a lot of confidence heading into the tourney. Very big game tomorrow

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-30-2016, 03:12 PM

I NEVER NEVER NEVER tire of watching that!!! After all they'd been through! That first one will always be the best!!!!
Love you, Duke LAX!!!

Now go squeeze the Orange till they're dry!
Love,Ima

duke2x
04-30-2016, 04:30 PM
While a win tomorrow is not likely necessary for an ncaa bid, it could have meaningful impact on our seeding. It could help us avoid the 1 or 2 seed in the second round and may even result in a seeded home game for us. Plus an ACC championship :) and a lot of confidence heading into the tourney. Very big game tomorrow

We probably are not going to avoid the #1/8 or 2/7 game. What I'm cheering for is not having to play Brown @ Brown in round 2. We'll get a good sense of how good Brown is relative to the ACC tonight when they play UVA.

The window is opening very, very slightly that we could still lose tomorrow and host. The teams that are on the hosting bubble today are Loyola, Duke, Syracuse, Hop, and Villanova. Hop and Villanova still have to play in their conference tournaments and have a good chance of losing another game. If it came down to another Duke-Loyola game, Duke would probably host it since we already beat Loyola big on the road this year.

The dedication to the RPI by the NCAA makes it really easy to sound wishy-washy. Three weeks ago, when Duke was about #17 RPI without a Top 5 win, it was very realistic to be a pessimist about the season. A jump to #10 after beating UVA and Marquette was a ride up the roller coaster because the cutoff for selection is probably about #13-14 for at-large bids. (Danger time for RPI #19 UNC.)

Travel rules and RPI are also starting to dictate who we might play. TV probably wants Hop-Duke, but Navy, Loyola, and maybe Villanova are all within the travel limits and about the right RPI for the first round, home or away.

TruBlu
04-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Time is set for noon tomorrow when there is a 50% chance of thunderstorms in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Is Lax like football, and is played unless there is severe weather. Or is it more like baseball, where the game is called if someone's uniform might get wet or cleats muddy.

I'm thinking of making the drive from the other side of Atlanta, which even on a Sunday can be an ordeal.

Also, does anyone know if tickets are available at the gate, or is it sold out?

Native
04-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Time is set for noon tomorrow when there is a 50% chance of thunderstorms in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Is Lax like football, and is played unless there is severe weather. Or is it more like baseball, where the game is called if someone's uniform might get wet or cleats muddy.

I'm thinking of making the drive from the other side of Atlanta, which even on a Sunday can be an ordeal.

The only reason they'd call it is for lightning, as it's not wise to be running around with partially-metal lacrosse sticks in a lightning storm.

chrishoke
04-30-2016, 06:21 PM

Not sold out.

madscavenger
04-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Just finished watching the March 26th, first full game i've seen all year. Man am I psyched!

DST Fan
04-30-2016, 07:49 PM
The only reason they'd call it is for lightning, as it's not wise to be running around with partially-metal lacrosse sticks in a lightning storm.

The UVA/Brown game is now being delayed because of a thunderstorm. UVA is trailing 3-2 with about 5 minutes left in the first period.

burnspbesq
04-30-2016, 10:40 PM
The UVA/Brown game is now being delayed because of a thunderstorm. UVA is trailing 3-2 with about 5 minutes left in the first period.

The lightning delay lasted a little over an hour. Brown has broken the game open with a 7-0 run spanning the third and fourth quarters; it's now 16-8 Bruno. Hot seat for Starsia?

Glad my return flight isn't until 8:25 p.m. Between the possibility of a lightning delay and the possibility of overtime ...

burnspbesq
05-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Strategic rooting quandry re the Patriot League championship game.

A Loyola win avoids damage to Duke's RPI, which is currently estimated to be 8 pending today's game.

However, an Army win could knock Carolina off the bubble for good.

Decisions, decisions ...

TKG
05-01-2016, 08:57 AM

A Loyola win avoids damage to Duke's RPI, which is currently estimated to be 8 pending today's game.

Decisions, decisions ...

The Black Knights of the Hudson. Easy enuff.

Indoor66
05-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Decisions, decisions ...

Go Black Knights, Go.