PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Draft

Olympic Fan
04-28-2016, 06:25 PM
The NFL Draft opens tonight at 8 p.m. and Duke has several players who are on the block.

Unlike last spring, when Laken Tomlinson was a first-round pick by the Lions, Duke is not likely to have a first-rounder today.

The projections I've read have Jeremy Cash going in the second or third rounds ... Matt Skura a little later and maybe Max McCaffrey late. Also a chance that Dwayne Norman or one of the two kickers (Martin and/or Monday) could go very late, although they are more likely free agent candidates. I'd like top see Shaq Powell get some love, but he also appears to be a free agent guy.

The first round is tonight.

Rounds 2-3 Friday, starting at 7 p.m.

Rounds 4-7 Saturday, starting at noon

Note: Last year, the ACC had nine first-round picks. In the last decade, only the SEC has had more players drafted than the ACC.

luburch
04-29-2016, 06:55 AM
Not Duke related, but Tunsil sure had a rough go of it last night.

moonpie23
04-29-2016, 07:23 AM
Not Duke related, but Tunsil sure had a rough go of it last night.

i felt bad for him....if that's not him in the photo, i hope they catch whoever did it and pour a can on them.....

from 1- 13th.....man....

CDu
04-29-2016, 07:33 AM
i felt bad for him...if that's not him in the photo, i hope they catch whoever did it and pour a can on them....

from 1- 13th....man...

Well, he wasn't going to go #1. The teams that traded up were drafting QBs regardless. At best he was going #3 or #5 (Dallas at #4 wasn't going OL either). But still, that stinks for him. Though he also has a domestic abuse charge on his resume, so it isn't like the bong pic was the only yellow flag there.

luburch
04-29-2016, 07:38 AM
Well, he wasn't going to go #1. The teams that traded up were drafting QBs regardless. At best he was going #3 or #5 (Dallas at #4 wasn't going OL either). But still, that stinks for him. Though he also has a domestic abuse charge on his resume, so it isn't like the bong pic was the only yellow flag there.

Well the domestic abuse charge (that was later dropped) stems from him intervening when his step-father was hitting his mother. According to Tunsil at least. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13370106/laremy-tunsil-ole-miss-rebels-domestic-violence-charges-dropped

johnb
04-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Well the domestic abuse charge (that was later dropped) stems from him intervening when his step-father was hitting his mother. According to Tunsil at least. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13370106/laremy-tunsil-ole-miss-rebels-domestic-violence-charges-dropped

The stepfather is also the most likely suspect for releasing both the video and the cheating screenshot. If the stepfather did the latter two things, I'd put my money on his also having abused the guy's mother.

CDu
04-29-2016, 09:22 AM

The stepfather is also the most likely suspect for releasing both the video and the cheating screenshot. If the stepfather did the latter two things, I'd put my money on his also having abused the guy's mother.

For his sake, I certainly hope this is the explanation.

Ichabod Drain
04-29-2016, 09:34 AM
They guy owned up to it on national TV and has a lot more money in his pocket than yesterday. He's doing alright. Ole Miss... not so much. The teams who passed on him probably could be doing a little better as well.

BD80
04-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Some reports of the issues between the stepfather and the mom were that the stepfather objected to the types of people the mom was allowing to influence the son. The kid was later suspended for accepting improper benefits.

Maybe the stepdad wanted to be the one in charge of the improper benefits (he is currently suing Tunstill for damages) - but maybe he had the kid's best interest at heart.

English
04-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Some reports of the issues between the stepfather and the mom were that the stepfather objected to the types of people the mom was allowing to influence the son. The kid was later suspended for accepting improper benefits.

Maybe the stepdad wanted to be the one in charge of the improper benefits (he is currently suing Tunstill for damages) - but maybe he had the kid's best interest at heart.

Tunsil admitted, on a televised interview last night, that it was him in the gasmask. His Twitter account was hacked, but it was still him. He also admitted to accepting money from his coach, which was initially put out in the spotlight via a screen grab of the conversation on his cell phone through the hacked Twitter account.

Rough night indeed. People, "12345" or "password" are not recommended security for your e-unmentionables.

BD80
04-29-2016, 04:12 PM
... People, "12345" or "password" are not recommended security for your e-unmentionables.

I've got the same combination on my luggage!

Bob Green
04-30-2016, 09:38 AM
The projections I've read have Jeremy Cash going in the second or third rounds ... Matt Skura a little later and maybe Max McCaffrey late.

Like Olympic Fan, I expected Jeremy Cash to be off the board on Friday, but three rounds are in the books with Cash not selected. Round Four commences at noon so Cash should be selected soon. Hopefully, Skura and McCaffrey will be selected today as well.

Good luck to all three.

Bob Green
04-30-2016, 02:04 PM
4th round is over with Cash still not selected. On to round 5...

Son of Mojo
04-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Very disappointed Panthers didn't just pick him up. I don't get it.

CDu
04-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Very disappointed Panthers didn't just pick him up. I don't get it.

He is a tweener: too small to play LB, questionable as to whether he has the speed to stick at safety. Sometimes teams are willing to overlook the lack of speed. So far, it appears they have not been so willing in this draft.

tbyers11
04-30-2016, 03:16 PM
He is a tweener: too small to play LB, questionable as to whether he has the speed to stick at safety. Sometimes teams are willing to overlook the lack of speed. So far, it appears they have not been so willing in this draft.

I get that. Still the people paid to rate NFL Draft prospects had him ranked somewhere between the 60th and 90th best players in the draft. We just had pick 163 and Cash hasn't been taken yet. I find hard to believe that not a single team that saw his actual ability to play football on Saturday the last few years hasn't been willing to risk a 5th round pick on Jeremy regardless of his physical and combine limitations.

CDu
04-30-2016, 03:21 PM
I get that. Still the people paid to rate NFL Draft prospects had him ranked somewhere between the 60th and 90th best players in the draft. We just had pick 163 and Cash hasn't been taken yet. I find hard to believe that not a single team that saw his actual ability to play football on Saturday the last few years hasn't been willing to risk a 5th round pick on Jeremy regardless of his physical and combine limitations.

That is not universally true. For example, Cash still hasn't appeared on Kiper's best available. If he was universally considered a top-60 or top-100 talent, we would be hearing all about it today on ESPN and NFLN. But we aren't.

luvdahops
04-30-2016, 03:38 PM

I agree. Cash fits best as a "box safety" at the next level; not that many teams feature that role, and the ones that do are pretty set. That said, I would love to see the Bears draft him and give him a shot as a more conventional strong safety who plays box in certain packages. Safety has been a major hole for the organization for most of the last decade, and having a sure fire tackler at SS would be a nice change.

CDu
04-30-2016, 03:41 PM
I agree. Cash fits best as a "box safety" at the next level; not that many teams feature that role, and the ones that do are pretty set. That said, I would love to see the Bears draft him and give him a shot as a more conventional strong safety who plays box in certain packages. Safety has been a major hole for the organization for most of the last decade, and having a sure fire tackler at SS would be a nice change.

Me too, luvdahops. Me too!

JNort
04-30-2016, 03:43 PM
But the thing about Cash is he fits the Panthers zone scheme. Not sure what's going on.

gurufrisbee
04-30-2016, 03:53 PM
I bet Duke could get a lot of guys drafted if they just all told the Browns they were wide recievers

DukeHLM'13
04-30-2016, 05:08 PM
But the thing about Cash is he fits the Panthers zone scheme. Not sure what's going on.

I'll go ahead and throw in another vote for "Cash to the Panther." But I also like to pull for "Duke Basketball Player to the Hornets" and that never seems to work out like I want it to...(cough cough...Justice Winslow)

Bob Green
04-30-2016, 05:34 PM
On to round 7, Cash still available...

Mabdul Doobakus
04-30-2016, 06:15 PM
I don't get the Jeremy Cash fall at all. Even if you have questions about his ability to translate to the NFL, this is Round 7 now. The man made plays all over the field in college. Some people were talking about him as a possible first rounder in the middle of the season.

Could this be related to his injury? What am I missing?

moonpie23
04-30-2016, 06:16 PM
I
Could this be related to his injury? What am I missing?

in my mind, i think it is.....something that we don't know...

Bob Green
04-30-2016, 06:22 PM
A safety was drafted with pick 244 and 245, but neither pick was Jeremy Cash.

CDu
04-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Cash finally appears on Kiper's best available as we near the end of the draft. I think folks just had bad evaluations of him. He is essentially an undersized LB - stuffs the run but can't cover anybody. At this point he is better off not getting drafted and trying to find a team with a scheme fit.

JNort
04-30-2016, 06:31 PM
I am stunned..... he was originally thought of as a 3rd or 4th rd guy. What happened? I predict he will be starting for whomever drafts him.

Bob Green
04-30-2016, 06:43 PM
That's All Folks...the ACC DPOY is an Undrafted Free Agent. Zero Blue Devils drafted in 2016.

wilson
04-30-2016, 06:47 PM
What a JOKE. I can't wait to watch Jeremy make a lot of GMs look dumb. No doubt in my mind that he catches on and finds success in the league. The NFL pretty much disgusts me at this point, but I will buy a Cash jersey once he catches on.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Bummed for Jeremy. But now he can choose a team that best fits him from those that have interest in him. He will be an impact player in the NFL. LGD GTHc!

JasonEvans
04-30-2016, 06:58 PM
So, if you are a 1st team All-American and ACC DPOY you go undrafted

But if you haven't played any football... NONE... since middle school, you are a 6th round pick (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000658858/article/cowboys-draft-former-baylor-hoops-star-rico-gathers).

Well, that makes perfect sense.

-Jason "I'm willing to wager that Jeremy Cash plays more next season in the NFL than Rico Gathers does... anyone?" Evans

JNort
04-30-2016, 07:04 PM
So, if you are a 1st team All-American and ACC DPOY you go undrafted

But if you haven't played any football... NONE... since middle school, you are a 6th round pick (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000658858/article/cowboys-draft-former-baylor-hoops-star-rico-gathers).

Well, that makes perfect sense.

-Jason "I'm willing to wager that Jeremy Cash plays more next season in the NFL than Rico Gathers does... anyone?" Evans
Honestly I'd rather draft Rico than Jeremy also. I also think Jeremy was a top 4 safety.

Pghdukie
04-30-2016, 07:07 PM
I would have loved to see the Steelers draft Cash. Steelers are very thin in secondary. He would have been reunited with Ross Cockrell. Plus the biggest asset - the guy makes PLAYS ! An advantage for Cash now is he can choose a team that fits his style of play and will give him the best opportunity to play on Sundays. Best of luck to him.

Avvocato
04-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Surprised Jeremy didn't get drafted as well. But we know that the NFL is very big on measurables, and Cash's bad 40-time must have killed him as a safety prospect. The NFL doesn't always draft based on the eye test. Thanks again to Cash for everything he gave Duke and best of luck to him catching on and showing everyone he belongs.

Side note - I thought Skura would be a late round draft pick as well.

Avvocato
04-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Todd McShay has Cash as his second best undrafted player.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15434240/todd-mcshay-top-10-undrafted-prospects-2016-nfl-draft

Bob Green
04-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Carlos Wray to San Diego. Will Monday to Pittsburgh. Ross Martin to NY Jets. Max McCaffrey to Oakland. Matt Skura to Baltimore.

johnb
04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Todd McShay has Cash as his second best undrafted player.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15434240/todd-mcshay-top-10-undrafted-prospects-2016-nfl-draft

And cbs says he's the top undrafted player

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25573305/nfl-draft-dukes-jeremy-cash-leads-best-undrafted-players

TKG
04-30-2016, 08:26 PM
The New England Patriots would be a terrific landing spot for Cash. The Pats love versatile athletes.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-30-2016, 08:33 PM
Carlos Wray to San Diego. Will Monday to Pittsburgh. Ross Martin to NY Jets. Max McCaffrey to Oakland. Matt Skura to Baltimore.
Dwayne Norman to Denver

BD80
04-30-2016, 09:27 PM
David Reeves to the Steelers

Dukehky
04-30-2016, 10:04 PM
I'd rather have Rico Gathers too... You cannot tell me that that dude is not going to be a good football player, I just don't believe it.

Cash, something else has to be going on, like a worse injury. I thought he was the best football player to ever put on a Duke jersey, and maybe my favorite Duke athlete ever. I could have watched that dude play all day every day, which I pretty much got to do since he made every freaking tackle in the world.

JNort
04-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Jeremy Cash signs with the Panthers!!! Yaaaaaayyyyy!

Dukehky
04-30-2016, 10:23 PM

It's like we just stole a 4th round pick that we didn't have.

JNort
04-30-2016, 10:58 PM
It's like we just stole a 4th round pick that we didn't have.

Yeah no kidding and at a position of need at that! Plus we signed Keyarris Garret!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Lucas Patrick to Green Bay and Shaquille Powell to New England

Indoor66
05-01-2016, 07:43 AM
The New England Patriots would be a terrific landing spot for Cash. The Pats love versatile athletes.

But don't they cheat? :confused::rolleyes::cool:

DukeHLM'13
05-01-2016, 08:39 AM

Gonna be pulling hard for all the Duke guys who got picked up as free agents, but pulling extra hard here! It'd be great to get to root for a guy like Cash on Sundays! If he catches on I have a strong feeling there's a Cash jersey in my future.

moonpie23
05-01-2016, 10:19 AM
The New England Patriots would be a terrific landing spot for A LARGE DELIVERY OF COW PIES!

there, i fixed it for you...

richardjackson199
05-01-2016, 11:20 AM

I am so psyched by this! Can't wait to buy my Cash Panthers jersey, and we know there will be one. What a perfect fit.

"Always the hammer, never the nail."

captmojo
05-01-2016, 11:39 AM
I feel like the steal of the draft was performed by my faves.

Whew!

Since Nortman is gone, now they should work a deal to get Monday.

Well, it would please me.

Dukehky
05-01-2016, 11:47 AM
I feel like the steal of the draft was performed by my faves.

Whew!

Since Nortman is gone, now they should work a deal to get Monday.

Well, it would please me.

I liked Monday because he played at Duke, but he had a really bad stretch last year and the year before. I'm straight without Monday on the Panthers.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-01-2016, 12:33 PM
I liked Monday because he played at Duke, but he had a really bad stretch last year and the year before. I'm straight without Monday on the Panthers.
It's easy to forget that during this same stretch of time his uncle died soon after a cancer diagnosis followed by his mother's stage 4 cancer diagnosis.

Dukehky
05-01-2016, 03:11 PM
It's easy to forget that during this same stretch of time his uncle died soon after a cancer diagnosis followed by his mother's stage 4 cancer diagnosis.

Well, I didn't forget it, because I never knew about it. Whoops. Sorry, Will.

oldnavy
05-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Monday went to Pittsburgh as did Reeves. Martin went to the Jets. Wray to the Chargers and a couple of other Duke players went to teams after the draft as UDFAs. Nfl.com has a listing of all the free agents if interested.

captmojo
05-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Monday went to Pittsburgh as did Reeves. Martin went to the Jets. Wray to the Chargers and a couple of other Duke players went to teams after the draft as UDFAs. Nfl.com has a listing of all the free agents if interested.

...including Braxton Deaver to the Panthers.

rasputin
05-02-2016, 03:01 PM
But don't they cheat? :confused::rolleyes::cool:

Being drafted by New England would have been deflating.

captmojo
05-02-2016, 03:07 PM

Paging DD.

devildeac
05-02-2016, 03:14 PM

Paging DD.

At your service. We could have a real ball with this one.

sagegrouse
05-02-2016, 03:38 PM

I am disappointed for Jeremy. I was sure New England, given its history of dubious deals, would have insisted on an all-Cash deal.

BD80
05-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Don't expect me to get all pumped-up for this deflate, I mean, debate.

Doria
05-02-2016, 04:16 PM

Yes! Great news from both a Duke and Panthers standpoint!

I had to recently throw out my old Lions Herman Moore jersey as it was getting disgusting. Hope I can replace it with a Cash one!

Reilly
05-02-2016, 05:02 PM

Paging DD.

These comments seem to have taken the air out of the draft discussion.

Indoor66
05-02-2016, 05:04 PM

The air escaping is now the draft!

wilson
05-02-2016, 06:35 PM

Paging DD.

The air escaping is now the draft!Ugh, this thread blows.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Just blowing off some steam

devildeac
05-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Ugh, this thread blows.

We might get a good lacing from the mods with this sequence.

BD80
05-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Be warned, should this turn into a contest of who is the biggest bag of hot air, or who has the most inflated ego, I am beyond measure.

Reilly
05-02-2016, 10:23 PM
We might get a good lacing from the mods with this sequence.

No worries -- we can always appeal any punishment.

devildeac
05-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Be warned, should this turn into a contest of who is the biggest bag of hot air, or who has the most inflated ego, I am beyond measure.

I'm starting to think you're about 1 psi short of a full inflation.

Reilly
05-02-2016, 10:34 PM
... I am beyond measure.

Well, I'm certainly not checking behind the locked bathroom door on this claim; perhaps some scientists with the proper equipment can figure it out.

BD80
05-03-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm starting to think you're about 1 psi short of a full inflation.

It was more impressive before I got cold and wet! I swear!

devildeac
05-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Well, I'm certainly not checking behind the locked bathroom door on this claim; perhaps some scientists with the proper equipment can figure it out.

Who needs a scientist? We have the only measuring device we really (or Reilly?) need here on DBR:

Reilly
05-03-2016, 08:04 AM

Protest all you want, call a press conference for that matter -- I think the majority believe you're lying, as would a team of lawyers closely examining the evidence, and two of every three appeals court judges.

BD80
05-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Protest all you want, call a press conference for that matter -- I think the majority believe you're lying, as would a team of lawyers closely examining the evidence, and two of every three appeals court judges.

Considering sensitivity is an issue, manhandling of the evidence could reduce its probative value, so a special master should be appointed. I propose Gisele

devildeac
05-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Considering sensitivity is an issue, manhandling of the evidence could reduce its probative value, so a special master should be appointed. I propose Gisele

I see where this discussion is headed.

Reilly
05-03-2016, 10:27 AM
I see where this discussion is headed.

Let me guess -- to a place where Bill Belichick describes all he knows and has learned about the subject, in a dismissive monotone?

Indoor66
05-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Let me guess -- to a place where Bill Belichick describes all he knows and has learned about the subject, in a dismissive monotone?

Talk about blowing smoke?

captmojo
05-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Y'all have taken all of the air from the room.:D

oldnavy
05-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Y'all have taken all of the air from the room.:D

This discussion has fallen flat... get a grip on it!

Reilly
05-04-2016, 10:50 AM
This discussion has fallen flat... get a grip on it!

Some say it's no big deal at all, very common, and they cannot believe so much attention has been paid. To others, it's of utmost importance, and they've given a lot of thought to the matter, and continue to do so.

BD80
05-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Some say it's no big deal at all, very common, and they cannot believe so much attention has been paid. To others, it's of utmost importance, and they've given a lot of thought to the matter, and continue to do so.

Are you saying it has been blown out of proportion?

nmduke2001
05-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Honestly I'd rather draft Rico than Jeremy also. I also think Jeremy was a top 4 safety.

Gathers is going to be an interesting story. Many of these basketball to NFL guys were stud football players in high school but Gathers has not played organized football since the 6th grade. Gathers certainly has the size at 6'8" 275 lbs. As a Cowboys fan, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that they are probably going to play him as a defensive end instead of a tight end.

In regards to Cash, I've read several really good articles on how he Jeremy is going to be just fine in the NFL.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/203666/panthers-cash-in-with-undrafted-free-agent-jeremy-cash

HK Dukie
05-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Article from Panther's blog on Braxton Deaver and how he has a legit shot at catching on. The article speculates he would have been drafted if not for the injuries.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2016/5/21/11728738/Mocking-the-depth-tight-end-carolina-panthers-greg-olsen-beau-sandland