PDA

View Full Version : Jackson and Meeks to enter draft

diablesseblu
04-22-2016, 06:45 PM
http://www.wxii12.com/news/uncs-justin-jackson-kennedy-meeks-to-enter-nba-draft/39168386

My guess is that Meeks goes...no matter how he's ranked. [redacted text].

Jackson may stay in due simply to talent.

BigWayne
04-22-2016, 06:48 PM
Also a possibility that news of the new NOA may have influenced them a bit.

CDu
04-22-2016, 07:02 PM
If both go, UNC will be toast.

gurufrisbee
04-22-2016, 07:22 PM
They both will go. There is zero chance that the Tar Heels will ever be as good as they were this year in the next two years. There is a very good chance they will get hit with sanctions/probabtion/penalties/whatever. Why spend two years being frustrated/miserable when you could spend it sitting in the D league or at the end of an NBA bench getting paid (or at least getting paid more money that you can actually claim on your tax returns)? Heck they might even land in a city with a community college and they could even try going to a real class too!

BD80
04-22-2016, 07:28 PM
They both will go. There is zero chance that the Tar Heels will ever be as good as they were this year in the next two years. There is a very good chance they will get hit with sanctions/probabtion/penalties/whatever. Why spend two years being frustrated/miserable when you could spend it sitting in the D league or at the end of an NBA bench getting paid (or at least getting paid more money that you can actually claim on your tax returns)? Heck they might even land in a city with a community college and they could even try going to a real class too!

It's one thing for them to make the jump to the D league, but the cultural, emotional, and intellectual challenges they would face in going to real community college class? Unfathomable!

CameronBlue
04-22-2016, 07:49 PM
If Meeks "goes" it will be to Europe or the NBDL. No WAY will he be drafted, staying in the draft would be foolish for Meeks.

subzero02
04-22-2016, 08:33 PM
I see smoke beginning to rise from the dumpster...

JasonEvans
04-22-2016, 08:59 PM
To be clear, the new rules make it very smart for players to enter the draft, get some word from the NBA about what the league wants them to improve, and then pull out. I bet there will be 50+ kids who pull out before the draft eligibility date due to the new rules. It is still entirely possible that both these guys will return to UNC. What's more, I would imagine both could improve their draft stock by coming back and being a more central part of UNC's offense.

Hey, I want Carolina to suck as much as the rest of you, but I don't think current Carolina players will suddenly start making foolish decisions -- if these guys stay in, it is because they know they have a good chance to make a NBA roster.

And, I've got something else worth noting. Carolina will almost certainly be on probation next season. If these guys leave, Carolina will be pretty bad next year and would not make the tourney anyway. I want the probation to sting, at least a little bit. I prefer for Carolina to be something like a surprising 9-1 when the probation is handed down this winter, suddenly scuttling what had been a promising UNC season.

-Jason "that, my friends, is a little bit of 'to the pain' directed at UNC" Evans

BD80
04-22-2016, 09:11 PM
... Carolina will almost certainly be on probation next season. If these guys leave, Carolina will be pretty bad next year and would not make the tourney anyway. I want the probation to sting, at least a little bit. I prefer for Carolina to be something like a surprising 9-1 when the probation is handed down this winter, suddenly scuttling what had been a promising UNC season.

-Jason "that, my friends, is a little bit of 'to the pain' directed at UNC" Evans

Dude. You've got issues.

I completely agree with you. That's rarely a good thing.

moonpie23
04-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Hey, I want Carolina to suck as much as the rest of you, but I don't think current Carolina players will suddenly start making foolish decisions

they started their college careers making foolish decisions....

duke4ever19
04-23-2016, 12:19 AM
Meeks isn't making an NBA roster this year or next year and even UNC fans will admit that (well, at least the four that I know.).

In fact, he won't get an invite to the combine. He should test the draft waters in Europe, because that's where he's headed.

arnie
04-23-2016, 07:45 AM
And, I've got something else worth noting. Carolina will almost certainly be on probation next season.

Is "almost certainly" about 90%? I hope you are right, but your speculation isn't based on any strong evidence to date. I still believe Heels and Swofford have a lot of filibustering to go; and as I and others believe, the hammer will tilt toward soccer and Sylvia. I regrettably put the chances of men's bball 2017 postseason ban at less than 10%.

Neals384
04-23-2016, 07:54 AM

So, will those independent study credits be accepted by a community college ?:cool:

bob blue devil
04-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Is "almost certainly" about 90%? I hope you are right, but your speculation isn't based on any strong evidence to date. I still believe Heels and Swofford have a lot of filibustering to go; and as I and others believe, the hammer will tilt toward soccer and Sylvia. I regrettably put the chances of men's bball 2017 postseason ban at less than 10%.

i'll take the other side of that 9:1 odds if you are willing to wager on it.

are you basing your skepticism on the details of the penalty (i.e. there will be penalties equivalent to or greater than a 2017 postseason ban, but they may get pushed beyond 2017 or they may not include a postseason ban), or on the likelihood of a serious penalty for mens hoops? it sounded like a bit of each, but i'm curious as to how you are weighting them (to get to <10%, one of those two needs to be <30%, whereas I see them both as well > 50%).

budwom
04-23-2016, 08:48 AM
Meeks isn't making an NBA roster this year or next year and even UNC fans will admit that (well, at least the four that I know.).

In fact, he won't get an invite to the combine. He should test the draft waters in Europe, because that's where he's headed.

Yup, Meeks' choice is Europe this coming year vs Europe the following year.

CDu
04-23-2016, 08:52 AM

are you basing your skepticism on the details of the penalty (i.e. there will be penalties equivalent to or greater than a 2017 postseason ban, but they may get pushed beyond 2017 or they may not include a postseason ban), or on the likelihood of a serious penalty for mens hoops? it sounded like a bit of each, but i'm curious as to how you are weighting them (to get to <10%, one of those two needs to be <30%, whereas I see them both as well > 50%).

Pretty sure he or she is saying that he/she thinks UNC will continue to stall such that the penalty (whatever it is) won't get resolved until after the 2017 season.

johnb
04-23-2016, 08:53 AM

I'm halfway through binge watching the 4th season of House of Cards. The Carolina administration reminds me of the Underwood administration, wherein they'll simply say and do anything to promote their cause. Instead of expressing shame and contrition, the athletic group continue to insist that it was a university-wide failing brokered by a couple of bad apples, and, somehow, the university is complicit in this assessment of its academic structure. Anyway, I'll believe a severe probation when I see it.

arnie
04-23-2016, 08:56 AM

Ok, will wager a "I was wrong 9 times against your I was wrong once".

My paranoia is all based on politicking. Remember Swofford was AD when the cheating started and Dean is above reproach. Therefore, if the cheating methods in Roy's tenure are similar to Swofford-Dean, no significant penalties. I did take Logic at Duke (not HI Express) and that's my rationale.

Also, can't believe Roy and Hat would have the balls to make published statements to recruits (no probation coming) unless UNC attorneys were fairly sure they had pulled the right strings. So, I believe it all adds up to soccer/Slyvia scapegoat time. Hope I'm wrong, but won't believe the Flagship is hammered till it happens.

Indoor66
04-23-2016, 09:05 AM

My paranoia is all based on politicking. Remember Swofford was AD when the cheating started and Dean is above reproach. Therefore, if the cheating methods in Roy's tenure are similar to Swofford-Dean, no significant penalties. I did take Logic at Duke (not HI Express) and that's my rationale.

Also, can't believe Roy and Hat would have the balls to make published statements to recruits (no probation coming) unless UNC attorneys were fairly sure they had pulled the right strings. So, I believe it all adds up to soccer/Slyvia scapegoat time. Hope I'm wrong, but won't believe the Flagship is hammered till it happens.

I think that you fail to factor in the level hubris that is the carolina way. We know what hubris preceeds...

OldPhiKap
04-23-2016, 09:22 AM
I think that you fail to factor in the level hubris that is the carolina way. We know what hubris preceeds...

Hubris goes well on pita chips.

Shouldn't the thread be titled that they are onlyy testing the waters though? Neither has hired an agent AFAIK.

olegreg
04-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Wow if both meeks and jackson leave,
Starting lineup

Berry
Britt
Pinson
Hicks
Bradley

That's equals a beatdown probably worse than 2010

Hey does anybody remember the 2010 game vs unc at cameron, in the pre game Hubert davis actually predicted unc to win that game lol wow!

WillJ
04-23-2016, 09:40 AM
I think we need a neologism for our sentiments towards UNC. "Schadenroy" has a nice sound to it, but it zeros in on Roy too much for my taste, given my broader distaste. "Sanctionmonious" would perhaps be a good word to describe the entire UNC athletic department, though, um, perhaps some people might think the sanctimony might apply to us, too. Other thoughts?

OldPhiKap
04-23-2016, 09:42 AM
I think we need a neologism for our sentiments towards UNC. "Schadenroy" has a nice sound to it, but it zeros in on Roy too much for my taste, given my broader distaste. "Sanctionmonious" would perhaps be a good word to describe the entire UNC athletic department, though, um, perhaps some people might think the sanctimony might apply to us, too. Other thoughts?

'Dean Smith" encapsulates everything I hate and loathe. Truly.

WillJ
04-23-2016, 09:44 AM
'Dean Smith" encapsulates everything I hate and loathe. Truly.

How would that work in conversation?

"I deansmith UNC."
"UNC is so deansmith."
"I wanted to go to UNC, but it was too deansmith."

OldPhiKap
04-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Starting lineup

Berry
Britt
Pinson
Hicks
Bradley

That is not an uncompetitive line-up. Still beats Clemson in CH.

OldPhiKap
04-23-2016, 09:47 AM

"I deansmith UNC."
"UNC is so deansmith."

The last one made me chuckle out loud, well done.

bob blue devil
04-23-2016, 10:01 AM

awesome. we're on if those 9x "i'm wrong" are truly distinct cases of admitting you were wrong (putting aside the fact that observing 1 outcome proves nothing about whether either of us were right or wrong about the probability) - maybe, they need to be spaced at least a week apart and happen in the context of different conversations, e.g. "yada yada... but remember, i was wrong about the unc mens hoops having a 2017 postseason ban". by the way, i'll have long forgotten about this bet, so it's void if the winner doesn't remind the loser before the end of the 2017 ncaa tournament. deal?

i agree entirely that your observations rely on solid evidence that supports the perspective of continued delay and/or a skate.

i think, however, the incentive to delay another year has weakened, the tools for delay are diminished, and there will be strong evidence that the delay tactic has hurt unc in its ncaa case to date; and of course, the ongoing nature of this continues to be a negative for the university - unc should be motivated to put this to rest. i suppose, if the ncaa really drops the hammer, unc would be motivated to fight tooth and nail, which procedurally could end up delaying this whole thing, but i don't think it's in anyone's interest to delay for the sake of delaying.

regarding roy and hat's comments, they have puzzled me too. they have seemingly staked their reputations on this. but then again, coaches lie all the time to attract recruits and seem to get a free pass for it in general, so maybe this is part of the calculus. also, there is the possibility they have gotten bad advice from unc legal/PR folks. what i do know is that some of what they have said is factually untrue based on the publicly available evidence, so it is not hard for me to believe the rest of what they are saying is bologne too. they can just play the evil ncaa card at the end of the day.

bob blue devil
04-23-2016, 10:03 AM
p.s. i'm done hijacking this thread. sorry for behavior that is so deansmith.

OldPhiKap
04-23-2016, 10:11 AM
p.s. i'm done hijacking this thread. sorry for behavior that is so deansmith.

.O....This is Dean Smith.
./\....Dean Smith lied.
.II....Dean Smith cheated.
Dean Smith was a pompous hypocritical blowhard who lorded false moral supremacy over all, while allowing a decrepit perversion of education to fester for the benefit of his overstated reputation and false glory.

Don't be Dean Smith.

WillJ
04-23-2016, 10:22 AM
a pompous hypocritical blowhard who lorded false moral supremacy over all, while allowing a decrepit perversion of education to fester for the benefit of his overstated reputation and false glory.

That would be a good definition of "sanctionmonious."

BandAlum83
04-23-2016, 11:01 AM
I'm halfway through binge watching the 4th season of House of Cards. The Carolina administration reminds me of the Underwood administration, wherein they'll simply say and do anything to promote their cause. Instead of expressing shame and contrition, the athletic group continue to insist that it was a university-wide failing brokered by a couple of bad apples, and, somehow, the university is complicit in this assessment of its academic structure. Anyway, I'll believe a severe probation when I see it.

Hah! Will they start drone bombing the Duke and State campuses?

oldnavy
04-23-2016, 11:38 AM
That is not an uncompetitive line-up. Still beats Clemson in CH.

Well, while I agree that it isn't a horrible line up, you and I plus 3 monkeys could beat Clemson in Chapel Hill if we wore UNC uniforms... it is really surreal how UNC is in Clemson's head in CH...

Indoor66
04-23-2016, 01:53 PM
Hah! Will they start drone bombing the Duke and State campuses?

Never happen. The Germans are now peaceful.

Wander
04-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Starting lineup

Berry
Britt
Pinson
Hicks
Bradley

That's equals a beatdown probably worse than 2010

Hey does anybody remember the 2010 game vs unc at cameron, in the pre game Hubert davis actually predicted unc to win that game lol wow!

Joel Berry alone probably makes that team better than the 2010 version... it's amazing how awful that backcourt was. But yes, they should be pretty mediocre if they lose both Meeks and Jackson.

BigWayne
04-23-2016, 03:43 PM

"I deansmith UNC."
"UNC is so deansmith."

Adjust the board software to say "I'm a real deansmith for saying this."

WillJ
04-23-2016, 04:44 PM

That is an excellent idea.

Indoor66
04-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Mere off color speech or selected words should probably not be stigmatized by such a draconian penalty! :p:cool:

-jk
04-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Alas, I'm sure anti-Dukies would like to use that to troll us. Not going there...

-jk

Henderson
04-23-2016, 08:40 PM
I think we need a neologism for our sentiments towards UNC. "Schadenroy" has a nice sound to it ****.

Is it too late to vote for this?

arnie
04-23-2016, 08:51 PM
awesome. we're on if those 9x "i'm wrong" are truly distinct cases of admitting you were wrong (putting aside the fact that observing 1 outcome proves nothing about whether either of us were right or wrong about the probability) - maybe, they need to be spaced at least a week apart and happen in the context of different conversations, e.g. "yada yada... but remember, i was wrong about the unc mens hoops having a 2017 postseason ban". by the way, i'll have long forgotten about this bet, so it's void if the winner doesn't remind the loser before the end of the 2017 ncaa tournament. deal?

Yada yada deal.