PDA

View Full Version : Terp Fans Want Back In ACC, Except For Republicans

hallcity
04-22-2016, 01:49 PM
PublicPolicyPolling
‏@ppppolls

By 40/35 spread Terps fans say they wish they were still in the ACC. 48/30 for ACC w/Dems, 51/22 for Big Ten w/GOP:

OldPhiKap
04-22-2016, 02:00 PM
PublicPolicyPolling
‏@ppppolls

By 40/35 spread Terps fans say they wish they were still in the ACC. 48/30 for ACC w/Dems, 51/22 for Big Ten w/GOP:

Very interesting split between GOP and Dems, not sure what explains that.

I know that I am 100% glad they're gone.

devildeac
04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Well, we do need a new rival...

Nah, no thanks. Oh maybe that should be a hell no!

budwom
04-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Big 10/Whatever wishes Maryland weren't there either. Strange marriage, that one.

wilson
04-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Big 10/Whatever wishes Maryland weren't there either. Strange marriage, that one.Is this true? I haven't heard anything along these lines, but I certainly would like to.

cspan37421
04-22-2016, 02:35 PM
Well, we do need a new rival...

Nah, no thanks. Oh maybe that should be a hell no!

No, you were right ... just not them.

I'd say Notre Dame, though I think we need to start beating them a little more often to "earn" it.

Second choice, UVA. Good school too, and choosing them preserves the public/private mix of the former UNC rivalry.

devildeac
04-22-2016, 02:40 PM
No, you were right ... just not them.

I'd say Notre Dame, though I think we need to start beating them a little more often to "earn" it.

Second choice, UVA. Good school too, and choosing them preserves the public/private mix of the former UNC rivalry.

NCSU sends a howl ;) . But then we'd have to play them more often than once ever 5-7 years in FB...

Troublemaker
04-22-2016, 02:46 PM
Very interesting split between GOP and Dems, not sure what explains that.

I know that I am 100% glad they're gone.

Party affiliation is probably a confounding variable.

In the crosstabs (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_MD_42216.pdf) on pg 42, you see that younger Terp fans want back in the ACC while older Terp fans prefer the Big 10.

The relationship seems almost linear.

[18-29 year olds] prefer the ACC by a 57-23 margin;
[30-45 yo] prefer the ACC 43-32 ;
[46-65 yo] prefer the ACC 37-38 ;
[over 65 yo] prefer the ACC 29-41

One possible interpretation: The older you are, the more bitterness you carry about the ACC holding the tournament in Greensboro, Carolina/Duke refs, etc.

Terping.

budwom
04-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Is this true? I haven't heard anything along these lines, but I certainly would like to.

Kornheiser and Wilbon had a piece on this when Merlin first defected, and noted most Merlin fans did not want to leave
the ACC and most Big 10 fans did not want them in their league. The Big 10 at least for decades had a geographical logic
to its membership...lots of reasons for forming a league from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio et al, Merlin just
doesn't fit in that group. The only reason the move was made was because Merlin had made a mess of
their athletic finances (with numerous bad moves) while the Big 10 coveted access to the DC and NYC markets (hence
the silly addition of Rutgers into the mix).

Olympic Fan
04-22-2016, 04:43 PM
This parallels South Carolina -- for almost a decade after leaving the ACC, their fans regretted it (and their officials trying secretly to negotiate a return to the conference -- a possibility that Clemson always vetoed).

It wasn't until the Gamecocks got accepted into the SEC in 1990 that the South Carolina fans could quit regretting their departure from the ACC. But for almost 20 years, they were wandering in the college sports wilderness.

rasputin
04-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Every time I see this thread title listed, I throw up in my mouth a little.

wilson
04-22-2016, 04:49 PM
This parallels South Carolina -- for almost a decade after leaving the ACC, their fans regretted it (and their officials trying secretly to negotiate a return to the conference -- a possibility that Clemson always vetoed).

It wasn't until the Gamecocks got accepted into the SEC in 1990 that the South Carolina fans could quit regretting their departure from the ACC. But for almost 20 years, they were wandering in the college sports wilderness.Does the rich history of the Metro Conference mean nothing to you?!?!

TruBlu
04-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Party affiliation is probably a confounding variable.

In the crosstabs (http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_MD_42216.pdf) on pg 42, you see that younger Terp fans want back in the ACC while older Terp fans prefer the Big 10.

The relationship seems almost linear.

[18-29 year olds] prefer the ACC by a 57-23 margin;
[30-45 yo] prefer the ACC 43-32 ;
[46-65 yo] prefer the ACC 37-38 ;
[over 65 yo] prefer the ACC 29-41

One possible interpretation: The older you are, the more bitterness you carry about the ACC holding the tournament in Greensboro, Carolina/Duke refs, etc.

Terping.

And that possibly that the older you are, the more likely you are to be a Republican. And the younger you are, the more likely you are to be on my lawn.

Henderson
04-22-2016, 05:11 PM
And that possibly that the older you are, the more likely you are to be a Republican. And the younger you are, the more likely you are to be on my lawn.

Old sods pining for their rowdy days of burning cars without having to travel to Madison, Wisconsin in December to do it. The young-uns have drinking games that prevent them from even finding your lawn.

smvalkyries
04-22-2016, 05:44 PM
As I see it we really don't need another Maryland back in the ACC- we already have a wantabe rival, that we no longer respect, which cheats and boasts a very dubious academic record.
If the fans at the Dean Smith center start throwing things at our players and parents (and missing) we will have a 99% Maryland emulation right down the highway. To me UNCCH has become the new Maryland for us, but Maryland will never achieve the status Carolina once had as a truly respected rival (19 years ago if facts were known). Sorry to say it but Maryland's disreputable tradition lives on while Carolina's "special" position has crumbled. Who knew anything could fall that far???