PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Rules

duke74
04-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Might relate more to the DT transfer thread...so move if desired, mods. This is about a rule, however, vs. the transfer per se.

A FB group posting just indicated that DT is considering Miami. I thought there was a rule about intra-ACC transfers. Sheed went to MD after they were part of the Big whatever, and Silent G went to 'Cuse before they joined the ACC.

So...is there a prohibition? Was there ever ... and now changed?

Thanks from this benighted soul.

BigWayne
04-20-2016, 04:58 PM
Might relate more to the DT transfer thread...so move if desired, mods. This is about a rule, however, vs. the transfer per se.

A FB group posting just indicated that DT is considering Miami. I thought there was a rule about intra-ACC transfers. Sheed went to MD after they were part of the Big whatever, and Silent G went to 'Cuse before they joined the ACC.

One of the really bad things about NCAA transfer rules is that the school losing the player can restrict where he can go. Some schools and coaches are real jackwagons about this and restrict in a vengeful way. I have no idea what Coach K's policy is and it wouldn't surprise me if it was different depending on the circumstances for each player.

duke74
04-20-2016, 05:02 PM
One of the really bad things about NCAA transfer rules is that the school losing the player can restrict where he can go. Some schools and coaches are real jackwagons about this and restrict in a vengeful way. I have no idea what Coach K's policy is and it wouldn't surprise me if it was different depending on the circumstances for each player.

Thanks, BW. I thought at one point there was a conference rule about this (not at the school's discretion), but am probably wrong.

SCMatt33
04-20-2016, 06:03 PM
So from what I've seen, the ACC does have a rule that restricts an intraconference transfer (with the exception of grad transfers) from receiving aid during the redshirt year and also forces them to count the redshirt year towards their four seasons, which if I'm not mistaken is essentially the same as if a coach blocked the transfer and an athlete went through with the transfer anyway. Now that was based off of a quick Google search, so it's quite possible that the rule has changed (it was dated 2008) or it wasn't entirely correct to begin with.

MartyClark
04-20-2016, 06:15 PM

I don't know that there is a rule but I think that coaches routinely block a departing player from transferring to a school in the same conference.

I'm not sure that is fair but have to admit I don't want to see DT at Miami playing against Duke 2 or 3 times a year. I wish him great success at Kansas, USC or any non ACC school

BigWayne
04-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Thanks, BW. I thought at one point there was a conference rule about this (not at the school's discretion), but am probably wrong.

You are probably right. I can't find the bylaws on the official acc website, but I did find this which does prevent in conference transfers unless you get a waiver or give up a year of eligibility and aid.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

ICP
04-20-2016, 09:19 PM
I cannot think of a player who transferred in the same conference recently. Also, isn't he from California? How will going to Miami be playing "closer to home," the official reason for his transfer?

CDu
04-21-2016, 07:01 AM
I cannot think of a player who transferred in the same conference recently. Also, isn't he from California? How will going to Miami be playing "closer to home," the official reason for his transfer?

The official reason given is almost certainly not the real reason. The real reason is not one that looks great for the player. Said player is also reportedly looking at Kansas. While being closER to home, it isn't closer in any useful way. So I think it is quite clear that the "closer to home" part was sugar coating the situation (which I am fine with; no reason to air the dirty laundry).

That said, I don't think there is much chance that Thornton goes to Miami. And I am not even sure that it is even true that he is looking there. While there is no rule preventing intra-conference transfers, there IS a heavy price to pay to do it. If you transfer within a conference, you forfeit a year of eligibility (even if you have a redshirt option available). For that reason, I would be shocked if Thornton stayed in the ACC.