PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 14, Virginia 8

burnspbesq
04-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Make it 16 out of 17 against the Hoos. On a day when Duke really needed him to step up, Danny Fowler delivered one of the best performances of his career to lead the Blue Devils into the ACC Tournament. Deemer Class led the offense with five goals (on six shots), and Myles Jones contributed two goals and four assists. For the second straight game, the defense held together, giving up only three over the last 40:02. Peter Welch, back from injury, combined with Jamie Ikeda to shut out Zed Williams.

Depending on the result of next weekend's Carolina - ND game, Duke will be either the three or the four seed in Kennesaw (all my reservations are made, hope to see y'all there). Duke will likely play ND either way.

Hoos get the booby prize, a game against Brown on Saturday night.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-17-2016, 03:56 PM
A little nervous in the early going. (I"m such a worry wart!) But then the guys ran away with it and hid!!! Beautiful game on a beautiful day! Would that it had been in Durham, but you can't have everything even though we've become accustomed to it. Thanks for spoiling us so Danowski and company!!!
Love, Ima

burnspbesq
04-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Let's not kid ourselves: if today were Selection Sunday, Duke would probably not be in the field. The only sure way in is to win the ACC Tournament. And a loss against either Marquette or BU would be certain death.

Bob Green
04-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the new thread! I posted the game results in the LAX thread, but like most DBR threads these days, folks decided to talk about stupid stuff instead of the game. Congratulations to Duke Men's Lacrosse on qualifying for the ACC Tournament.

burnspbesq
04-17-2016, 05:07 PM
The makeshift second midfield of Smith, Giampetroni, and Tripp Transou deserves a shout-out for one great extended possession in the third quarter, on which Guterding scored.

chrishoke
04-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Beating Virginia is terrific fun. I don't think we have lost to them since their coach showed his butt by complaining and whining about the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility to our guys after the lost lacrosse scandal year. Suck it cavs!

MCFinARL
04-17-2016, 06:06 PM
Make it 16 out of 17 against the Hoos. On a day when Duke really needed him to step up, Danny Fowler delivered one of the best performances of his career to lead the Blue Devils into the ACC Tournament. Deemer Class led the offense with five goals (on six shots), and Myles Jones contributed two goals and four assists. For the second straight game, the defense held together, giving up only three over the last 40:02. Peter Welch, back from injury, combined with Jamie Ikeda to shut out Zed Williams.

Depending on the result of next weekend's Carolina - ND game, Duke will be either the three or the four seed in Kennesaw (all my reservations are made, hope to see y'all there). Duke will likely play ND either way.

Hoos get the booby prize, a game against Brown on Saturday night.

Quick question: why wouldn't Duke be seeded ahead of Syracuse in any event, since both are 2-2 in league play and Duke beat Syracuse head to head?

Native
04-17-2016, 06:42 PM
Looked sharp in the second half today. A lot more off-ball movement than I've seen in recent weeks. Great outing by Fowler as well – 13 saves for a 67% save percentage.

On to the ACCT!

burnspbesq
04-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Quick question: why wouldn't Duke be seeded ahead of Syracuse in any event, since both are 2-2 in league play and Duke beat Syracuse head to head?

If ND beats Carolina, then Duke, Cuse, and UNC all finish at 2-2 overall and 1-1 head-to-head. IIRC, the second tie-breaker is goals against in the head-to-head games. Cuse wins that with 23, Carolina has 29, and Duke has 32.

MCFinARL
04-18-2016, 12:45 PM
If ND beats Carolina, then Duke, Cuse, and UNC all finish at 2-2 overall and 1-1 head-to-head. IIRC, the second tie-breaker is goals against in the head-to-head games. Cuse wins that with 23, Carolina has 29, and Duke has 32.

Ah, makes sense, thanks. So then Duke probably really does need to win the ACC tournament to be sure of getting into the NCAA tournament--because a final-round loss against Notre Dame, having beaten either Syracuse or UNC, might be okay if the game were very competitive. But a final round loss against either of those teams, even having beaten ND in a semi, might be pretty damaging.

No sense worrying about any of this unless they beat Marquette, though.