PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NBA Playoffs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Troublemaker
04-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Starts tomorrow.

Is anyone picking a different Finals from GSW-Cle?

The Warriors and Cavs are each heavily favored by oddsmakers to reach the Finals again. For different reasons, though. GSW is a 73-win all-time great powerhouse, and while the Cavs have played uninspired this season, no team in the East is regarded as being close in talent. If any of the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers were in the East, I'd probably pick them to make the Finals. I still kind of want to pick against Cleveland anyway, but I don't know which East team I'd settle on to pull the upset.

What are your 1st-round upsets, if any?

I like the 6-seed Hornets to beat the 3-seed Heat, so a minor upset. Do North Carolinian Dukies root for the Hornets, or is there just too much UNC-ness to that franchise? Especially since Gerald now plays for Portland.

luburch
04-15-2016, 02:32 PM
I love the NBA playoffs, it's the best basketball of the year. I do wish the first two rounds were best of 5 instead of 7 though.

I like all chalk in the first round for the West. I think the Celtics/Hawks series could go either way. Probably ends in 7 games. I think the Pacers may scare the Raptors, but ultimately the Raptors get through.

I think the Warriors take down the Clippers in 6 and the Thunder take down the Spurs in 7. Warriors over Thunder in 6.

I think the Cavs beat the Hawks/Celtics winner in 6 and the Heat beat the Raptors in 6. Cavs over Heat in 6.

Warriors over Cavs in 6.

Should be a really fun two months!

Side note: I would love for the Warriors to sweep every series. Would be amazing to see, just very unlikely to happen.

wilson
04-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Starts tomorrow.

The Warriors and Cavs are each heavily favored by oddsmakers to reach the Finals again. For different reasons, though. GSW is a 73-win all-time great powerhouse, and while the Cavs have played uninspired this season, no team in the East is regarded as being close in talent. If any of the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers were in the East, I'd probably pick them to make the Finals. I still kind of want to pick against Cleveland anyway, but I don't know which East team I'd settle on to pull the upset.

I like the 6-seed Hornets to beat the 3-seed Heat, so a minor upset. Do North Carolinian Dukies root for the Hornets, or is there just too much UNC-ness to that franchise? Especially since Gerald now plays for Portland.I think Warriors-Cavs is the most likely Finals matchup, but I think Spurs-Cavs is only slightly less likely. To me, the Golden State-San Antonio series is not nearly the foregone conclusion that people think it is. Play the series 20 times and I think the Warriors win 11.

fraggler
04-15-2016, 02:33 PM
I'd love to see the Spurs take one more title before Timmy leaves, but unfortunately, their best ball is being played at the same time as the Warriors best ball, and I think the Warriors win in a best of 7. Cleveland will make the Finals basically by default if there are no injuries like last year. If healthy, I think they can push the Warriors with Lebron doing his superhero tank thing like last year, but that just isn't sustainable for possibly 7 games. Only hiccup is if the Warriors drained themselves too much chasing 73 and some sort of fatigue sets in by the Finals.

pfrduke
04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
I think Warriors-Cavs is the most likely Finals matchup, but I think Spurs-Cavs is only slightly less likely. To me, the Golden State-San Antonio series is not nearly the foregone conclusion that people think it is. Play the series 20 times and I think the Warriors win 11.

The consequence of Golden State's historically great year is that the Spurs' own historically great year was completely overshadowed. They had the same record that the Warriors put up last season and were just completely dominant at home. In terms of point differential, they're virtually identical - Warriors +10.8, Spurs +10.6. And yet they'll play the underdog role if that series happens.

jdk
04-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Starts tomorrow.

I like the 6-seed Hornets to beat the 3-seed Heat, so a minor upset. Do North Carolinian Dukies root for the Hornets, or is there just too much UNC-ness to that franchise? Especially since Gerald now plays for Portland.

Detroit over Cleveland. Hornets over Miami. Toronto loses 4-2 to GSW.

I have no problem at all watching former Tarheels do well on the Hornets (or anywhere else in the league, for that matter). It's professional basketball. I'm not going to let the decision a kid made when he was 17 years old detract from my enjoyment of the game.

kAzE
04-15-2016, 02:44 PM
I think Warriors-Cavs is the most likely Finals matchup, but I think Spurs-Cavs is only slightly less likely. To me, the Golden State-San Antonio series is not nearly the foregone conclusion that people think it is. Play the series 20 times and I think the Warriors win 11.

My best guess is Warriors in 5, maybe 6. From what I know, the Spurs will just have a tough time matching up. Duncan, Aldridge, and Diaw are all too slow to keep up with Draymond, and you just cannot hide Tony Parker against anyone on the Warriors defensively, they will exploit that match up every possession. The Spurs have been an historically great team this year, but they just aren't built to beat a team like the Warriors, IMO. Pop will come up with some crazy wrinkles to steal a game or 2, but they just don't have the personnel to win 4 games.

JNort
04-15-2016, 03:21 PM
I don't see anyway the Cavs don't make it. I hope my Hornets do, but without MKG I have doubts about how far we can go. Either way I actually like the Cavs as long as Bron is there (Kyrie too) and hope they make it.

The west though.... hmm I can see the Warriors losing to the Spurs or Thunder but I want them to go all the way again. Healthy Cavs vs healthy Warriors

Cavs in 7

JNort
04-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Detroit over Cleveland. Hornets over Miami. Toronto loses 4-2 to GSW.

I have no problem at all watching former Tarheels do well on the Hornets (or anywhere else in the league, for that matter). It's professional basketball. I'm not going to let the decision a kid made when he was 17 years old detract from my enjoyment of the game.

Same here. Some I still don't like (Hansbrough, Henson, Ed Davis, Lawson) and some I really like (Barnes, Ellington, Marvin) and others I just don't even notice.

construe
04-15-2016, 04:22 PM
No one's considering the Clips? I know they did not do well against the top West teams this year in their respective series, but they were playing a lot of the year without Griffin. Are the Clips underseeded now that Blake is back?

I find myself most often checking on JJ (as well as some of the new Dukies to the league) when checking scores during the season. I think his improvement over the years into an established starter on a playoff team is remarkable. But I also get the feeling that during the reg season, folks just don't want to bother chasing him around or close out on him (why make the effort when there are 82 games to play?), so he scores well because a great shooter should hit (relatively) open shots. However, now that we're in the playoffs, the athletes will win out and will shut him down. That's what LSU did to him his senior year, and I think that fate still dogs him in the NBA. What is JJ's career performance in the playoffs? My memory of him at Orlando was that he struggled, but I don't have an impression of how things went for him last year.

Edouble
04-15-2016, 04:35 PM
No one's considering the Clips? I know they did not do well against the top West teams this year in their respective series, but they were playing a lot of the year without Griffin. Are the Clips underseeded now that Blake is back?

I find myself most often checking on JJ (as well as some of the new Dukies to the league) when checking scores during the season. I think his improvement over the years into an established starter on a playoff team is remarkable. But I also get the feeling that during the reg season, folks just don't want to bother chasing him around or close out on him (why make the effort when there are 82 games to play?), so he scores well because a great shooter should hit (relatively) open shots. However, now that we're in the playoffs, the athletes will win out and will shut him down. That's what LSU did to him his senior year, and I think that fate still dogs him in the NBA. What is JJ's career performance in the playoffs? My memory of him at Orlando was that he struggled, but I don't have an impression of how things went for him last year.

Disagree with this. Teams were fighting tooth and nail to stop him during the regular season of his senior year.

He shot the three ball at a 44% clip w/15 PPG in the playoffs last year. Solid.

Reilly
04-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Chances of winning the finals, per http://www.basketball-reference.com/

GSW 42.6%
SAS 31.1%
CLE 9.3%
OKC 6.4%
TOR 4.1%
ATL 1.5%
BOS 1.4%
CHO 1.4%
LAC 0.9%
MIA 0.7%
IND 0.5%
HOU 0.1%
(other four teams listed at 0% -- but I guess these percentages are rounded and they technically have some chance)

construe
04-15-2016, 04:49 PM
In college, I'm sure folks were trying to stop JJ (well, except for Texas on CBS!), but they usually didn't have the firepower (didn't UNC put Bobby Frasor on him at some point? That worked out well...for Duke!) LSU had the athletes to really bother JJ duirng the NCAA tourney (that and the refs conveniently swallowed their whistles).

My thinking is that NBA playoff teams are also chock full of athletes who can really hound JJ if they want to. But he really has been remarkable in improving himself every year, and he was pretty darn good while Blake was out, so maybe he's also doing well in the playoffs now, too.

Anyway, my original question really was whether the Clips are being underestimated now that Griffin is back (though I gather not 100%).

GGLC
04-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Trailblazers all the way!

Troublemaker
04-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Anyway, my original question really was whether the Clips are being underestimated now that Griffin is back (though I gather not 100%).

I don't think so. With two historically great teams at the top of the conference, I wouldn't expect anybody to pick the Clips to advance to the Finals. I thought there might be a chance that Portland would be a trendy pick to upset LAC in round 1, but it looks like that hasn't materialized (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/playoffs15205745/experts-predictions-west-round-1). I would say LAC is estimated correctly right now. Win Round 1, lose to GSW.

JetpackJesus
04-16-2016, 12:36 AM
In college, I'm sure folks were trying to stop JJ (well, except for Texas on CBS!), but they usually didn't have the firepower (didn't UNC put Bobby Frasor on him at some point? That worked out well...for Duke!) LSU had the athletes to really bother JJ duirng the NCAA tourney (that and the refs conveniently swallowed their whistles).

My thinking is that NBA playoff teams are also chock full of athletes who can really hound JJ if they want to. But he really has been remarkable in improving himself every year, and he was pretty darn good while Blake was out, so maybe he's also doing well in the playoffs now, too.

JJ is a legitimate NBA player now. If he's healthy (no idea if the heel injury is serious), he will contribute. Even when he isn't scoring he contributes offensively with his movement off the ball (he's still better conditioned than whoever is guarding him, even at 31), and he plays solid defense.

As for his playoff performances, I would only look at the last two years with the Clippers since he wasn't really allowed to do anything for most of his time in Orlando and because he's just a completely different and better player now. The last two years with the clips JJ averaged: 27/38.6 MPG, 12.3/14.9 PPG, .459/.439 FG%, and .400/.398 3P%, respectively in the playoffs.

As for the Clips, everything will depend on how well Blake reintegrates. They were still a 53-win team playing in the West while only getting 35GP from their second-best player. I would give them a realistic chance against anyone, though I certainly wouldn't favor them against the Warriors or Spurs.

gurufrisbee
04-16-2016, 01:45 AM
The first round match ups don't offer a lot of series that look like they should be close.

It will be a fairly good shock if the Warriors and Spurs don't sweep. Thunder should win pretty easily. Clippers are probably a good lock - which is a little odd since the Blazers probably should be a trendier pick to upset, but the gap is just really big between 4 and 5 in the west (but I think I just want the Blazers to be closer to them since they have been my pro team since I was a kid).

Cleveland should roll in the East. Toronto is actually very good and should cruise through the first round. The 3 through 6 seeds all had identical records. It's probably the only series that should be close. I do think the Heat will roll. The only upset I'm going with is Boston over Atlanta, but that shouldn't really count as an upset.

I do think the GS-Cleveland finals rematch is overwhelmingly likely. But I also don't think it's a done deal that the Warriors win it all. Cleveland last season had no Irving after game 1 and no Love and was literally ONE point away from having a 3-0 lead in the finals. Curry is the MVP and is remarkable, but Lebron is the most talented player there is and what he can do to own a game and a series is unmatched.

Edouble
04-16-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't think so. With two historically great teams at the top of the conference, I wouldn't expect anybody to pick the Clips to advance to the Finals. I thought there might be a chance that Portland would be a trendy pick to upset LAC in round 1, but it looks like that hasn't materialized (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/playoffs15205745/experts-predictions-west-round-1). I would say LAC is estimated correctly right now. Win Round 1, lose to GSW.

FYI, Charles Barkley is picking the Clippers.

Wander
04-16-2016, 01:36 PM
I think it's a mistake to just pencil in the Cavs to the Finals - the Raptors only finished 1 game behind. They should probably still make it, but it's not trivial.

Indoor66
04-16-2016, 02:32 PM
I think it's a mistake to just pencil in the Cavs to the Finals - the Raptors only finished 1 game behind. They should probably still make it, but it's not trivial.

A definite mistake. I seriously doubt the Cavs get out of the East.

DukieInKansas
04-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I want the Spurs to go as far as possible as it increases my chances to get to a game. :D

Edouble
04-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Raptors down 0-1 already. I'm putting LeBron through.

sagegrouse
04-16-2016, 04:50 PM
A definite mistake. I seriously doubt the Cavs get out of the East.

Sometimes it is about playoff experience. You may be right, but how many finals has LeBron reached? Is it six, including five in a row?

-jk
04-16-2016, 04:57 PM
And didn't the Cavs just pick up Dahntey? Dukies always bring out the best in Lebron - the more the merrier!

-jk

Indoor66
04-16-2016, 05:04 PM
...And Harry Barnes still can't shoot!

subzero02
04-17-2016, 03:54 AM
I didn't realize how much Marcus Smart has developed. He was amazing in a losing effort despite playing defense at a surreal level.

weezie
04-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh 'Stons...so close.

dukelifer
04-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Kyrie with a big day- Deng with a big night. Ex Duke one and done guys doing well so far

Troublemaker
04-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Raptors down 0-1 already. I'm putting LeBron through.

Toronto needs Demarre Carroll to be healthy and ready for 35-40 minutes guarding Paul George.

Based on Game 1, Indiana can successfully guard Toronto's stars (by putting George on DeRozan and George Hill on Lowry) but Toronto can't guard George. Not a recipe for success. Carroll is declaring that he's ready for the challenge of guarding George (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25558095/demarre-carroll-wants-to-guard-paul-george-thats-what-i-live-for). We'll see what coach Dwayne Casey thinks. Side note: Love the two-way stars like George and Kawhi.

...And Harry Barnes still can't shoot!

In Game 1, yes, but he's unfortunately turned into a very good shooter.

I didn't realize how much Marcus Smart has developed. He was amazing in a losing effort despite playing defense at a surreal level.

They'll need him to stay in this series. Stevens said Avery Bradley is likely out the rest of the series with a badly sprained hamstring.

Oh 'Stons...so close.

Yeah, they shot lights out but couldn't pull off the upset.

As for Heat-Hornets (on right now), love seeing Deng and Winslow beating up on Jordan's team.

rocketeli
04-17-2016, 08:07 PM

Well, LSU triple teamed him, figuring big baby would match up with Williams and Tyus Thomas could take his man and betting Dockery, Paulus and Melchionni weren't to be worried about, a bet they won for that game. It was also, shall we say, an extremely loosely called game (it was the height of that era's Duke gets all the calls mania) and their were plenty of hacks, holds and a few outright trips against JJ they were not called for.

dukelifer
04-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Miami is a good team- lots of weapons. They will give the Cavs a series

gurufrisbee
04-17-2016, 09:18 PM
Well, LSU triple teamed him, figuring big baby would match up with Williams and Tyus Thomas could take his man and betting Dockery, Paulus and Melchionni weren't to be worried about, a bet they won for that game. It was also, shall we say, an extremely loosely called game (it was the height of that era's Duke gets all the calls mania) and their were plenty of hacks, holds and a few outright trips against JJ they were not called for.

I always loved the image of Redick's jersey after the game having been stretched out to twice it's size yet he had two free throw attempts for the game.

JetpackJesus
04-18-2016, 01:51 AM
JJ had a nice game 1. Efficient 17 points in 27 minutes on 8-12 FG. I'm also glad Austin has developed into a respectable bench and rotation player.

Lots of Duke guys who play meaningful roles for their teams in this series. I like it.

luburch
04-18-2016, 06:58 AM
As for Heat-Hornets (on right now), love seeing Deng and Winslow beating up on Jordan's team.

Especially when you consider that Jordan decided to take Kaminsky over Winslow. He also turned down about 921743927 picks from the Celtics for that pick as well. :)

JasonEvans
04-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Especially when you consider that Jordan decided to take Kaminsky over Winslow. He also turned down about 921743927 picks from the Celtics for that pick as well. :)

In fairness, it is worth noting that Kaminsky had a good year for a rookie (an old rookie, but still a rookie). He's not a bust of a pick by any stretch. He's a key rotation player for a playoff team. It is entirely possible he will develop into a starting center who cold get you 12 and 7, though he is not much of a rim protector, which is a big deal for a big man these days.

But Winslow, who is 3 years younger, looks like he is going to develop into a stud. His offense is still kinda raw but it seems pretty likely that in a couple years he will be a 16 and 8 forward who will also be a contender for first-team All-NBA defensive team. If one were to redraft the 2015 draft I think it probably goes:

Towns
Porzingas
Okafor
Booker
Russell
Winslow
Mudiay
Turner
Kaminsky
Lyles or Cauley-Stein

-Jason "Towns is certainly #1, after that some debate" Evans

JNort
04-18-2016, 09:06 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I was a Frank Kaminsky hater and wanted us to get Winslow but Frank has been very good this year. I really think if Frank averages 12 and 7 for his career it will be disappointing. Offensively I like what he brings and his defense is very underrated. Don't let his performance against Miami last night fool you, the whole team struggled to stop or slow anyone.

Troublemaker
04-18-2016, 11:27 AM
In fairness, it is worth noting that Kaminsky had a good year for a rookie (an old rookie, but still a rookie). He's not a bust of a pick by any stretch. He's a key rotation player for a playoff team. It is entirely possible he will develop into a starting center who cold get you 12 and 7, though he is not much of a rim protector, which is a big deal for a big man these days.

True, plus I feel like it's almost impossible for a 7-footer that can shoot threes well to be a bust in today's spacing-obsessed NBA.

Look at how Cleveland completely changed Game 1 vs Detroit when they moved Kevin Love to the 5. Dragging Drummond (and his rim-protection and rebounding) away from the basket opened up so many things for the Cavs.

That was a strong adjustment by coach Tyronn Lue and one I'm not sure his predecessor Blatt would've made (although I like Blatt a lot, defensively.) Let's see if Stan Van Gundy can counter with something. Otherwise, Lue may have unlocked a series sweep.

sagegrouse
04-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Duke had eight former players on the court yesterday, scoring 118 points ~ 15 per game. Tops, as noted above, were Luol and Kyrie with 31 each.

huey
04-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Duke had eight former players on the court yesterday, scoring 118 points ~ 15 per game. Tops, as noted above, were Luol and Kyrie with 31 each.

Lu with a nice 11/13. He's really stepped up in Bosh's absence. I know Heat fans weren't sure about him initially but they really got a great player (and person).

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Durant singlehandedly losing the game for OKC. Dude is 6-29 and still shooting horrendous fade aways.

Edit: Now 6-31. Brutal.

dukelifer
04-18-2016, 10:43 PM
Durant singlehandedly losing the game for OKC. Dude is 6-29 and still shooting horrendous fade aways.

And misses a 1 footer for the game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Man, if Livingston had suited up for us in 2004-05... might have been the tarheel antidote. Although that banner will soon be gone anyway...

fraggler
04-19-2016, 07:53 AM

Kobe tribute?

COYS
04-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Man, if Livingston had suited up for us in 2004-05... might have been the tarheel antidote. Although that banner will soon be gone anyway...

That Livingston managed to not only recover from that unbelievably gruesome injury he suffered but actually lock down a role as a solid NBA contributor is really amazing. Wish we could've seen him at Duke.

rsvman
04-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Kobe tribute?

Actually a Michael Jordan tribute, as Durant tied the all-time shooting futility record previously held only by His Airness.

subzero02
04-19-2016, 02:38 PM

I think that's an understatement regarding Livingston. Before his horrific injury he was on the brink of becoming an absolute super star. He's honestly lucky to still have 2 legs; amputation was considered as an option. His recovery is truly remarkable but he is only a fraction of the player he could've been.

flyingdutchdevil
04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
I think that's an understatement regarding Livingston. Before his horrific injury he was on the brink of becoming an absolute super star. He's honestly lucky to still have 2 legs; amputation was considered as an option. His recovery is truly remarkable but he is only a fraction of the player he could've been.

Ummmmmm... don't think so. Livingston would have been good, and a very solid starter (and potentially a multiple All-Star), but superstar he was never destined for. In 2007, the year of his injury, he was averaging 9.3 ppg on 46.3% shooting, 5.1 assists, and 3.4 rebounds. Solid numbers for a PG, but nowhere near elite, especially for a third year player.

subzero02
04-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Ummmmmm... don't think so. Livingston would have been good, and a very solid starter (and potentially a multiple All-Star), but superstar he was never destined for. In 2007, the year of his injury, he was averaging 9.3 ppg on 46.3% shooting, 5.1 assists, and 3.4 rebounds. Solid numbers for a PG, but nowhere near elite, especially for a third year player.

It's impossible to know what Livingston might have become but I recall a player with a high basketball IQ who was phenomenal on the break. He was only 21 at the time of his injury, so to say a player with his obvious talents would never have reached an elite level of play is a pretty significant assumption. Watching his improvement over the last few seasons makes it easy for me to imagine an injury free Livingston playing PG at a dominant level for several years.

flyingdutchdevil
04-19-2016, 03:38 PM
It's impossible to know what Livingston might have become but I recall a player with a high basketball IQ who was phenomenal on the break. He was only 21 at the time of his injury, so to say a player with his obvious talents would never have reached an elite level of play is a pretty significant assumption. Watching his improvement over the last few seasons makes it easy for me to imagine an injury free Livingston playing PG at a dominant level for several years.

To have those stats in your third year and call Livingston on the "brink of becoming an absolute super star" is a pretty significant assumption, and much moreso than my assumption.

No doubt the injury derailed some of his potential, but to call Livingston a potential superstar cannot be backed up by facts.

jimsumner
04-19-2016, 06:14 PM
The term "superstar" is pretty inexact. How many superstars are currently in the NBA? Three? Eight? Fifteen? Thirty?

Duke was looking at a 2005 lineup of Livingston, Luol Deng, J.J. Redick, Shelden Williams and Daniel Ewing, with a bench that would have included DeMarcus Nelson, Shavlik Randolph and Sean Dockery.

Deng and Livingston bailed and that loaded 2005 lineup only existed somewhere else in the multiverse.

But back to the original question. Luol Deng was a multi-NBA all-star. Was he ever a superstar? Redick has averaged in the teens for a good portion of his NBA career but has never played in an all-star game. Is/was he ever a superstar?

Based on the way I understand the term, the answer to both is no. Maybe others define the term differently.

I could see a never-injured Livingston having a better NBA career than what Redick has had but I don't think it's a lock. Better than Deng would be a bigger stretch.

But definitions matter a bit.

cato
04-19-2016, 06:47 PM
The term "superstar" is pretty inexact. How many superstars are currently in the NBA? Three? Eight? Fifteen? Thirty?

Duke was looking at a 2005 lineup of Livingston, Luol Deng, J.J. Redick, Shelden Williams and Daniel Ewing, with a bench that would have included DeMarcus Nelson, Shavlik Randolph and Sean Dockery.

Deng and Livingston bailed and that loaded 2005 lineup only existed somewhere else in the multiverse.

But back to the original question. Luol Deng was a multi-NBA all-star. Was he ever a superstar? Redick has averaged in the teens for a good portion of his NBA career but has never played in an all-star game. Is/was he ever a superstar?

Based on the way I understand the term, the answer to both is no. Maybe others define the term differently.

I could see a never-injured Livingston having a better NBA career than what Redick has had but I don't think it's a lock. Better than Deng would be a bigger stretch.

I pull for Livingston, since he was almost a Blue Devil. But I'm very proud that Luol Deng was a Blue Devil.

Troublemaker
04-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Stevens said Avery Bradley is likely out the rest of the series with a badly sprained hamstring.

Celtics look awful without their best two-way player in Bradley. Boston has had a habit of making comebacks this season but I don't think it's going to happen tonight.

brevity
04-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Luol Deng was a multi-NBA all-star. Was he ever a superstar?

Maybe not, but Luol Deng (indirectly) caused an ownership power struggle and the dismissal of a GM. Not many superstars can say that.

For a while you could safely identify an NBA superstar if they had two first names. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, Paul George...

JNort
04-19-2016, 07:51 PM

To me a "star" player is:
A) Someone you can build a team around
B) Is consistently on the All Star team

A "superstar" is a star player who also:
C) Is capable of single handedly winning you games
D) Leads his team to the playoffs
E) Has branding power
F) Makes All-NBA teams multiple times

Just my thoughts on the matter. Might be more points I didn't think of and some of those above can be loosely used in certain situations (injuries, time in league, etc...)

Indoor66
04-19-2016, 08:09 PM
I can see at least 500 posts on this definition and, possibly, some time outs coming! :confused::p:D:cool:

JetpackJesus
04-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Here is a nice write-up about JJ on a Trail Blazers SB Nation page (http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/4/19/11459020/nba-playoffs-2016-mccollum-redick-rivers-video). It's actually has a decent analysis of how the Clippers use JJ's ability to run forever off and around screens to great effect (Jordan's moving screens help, too). The author even proposes having a dedicated help defender to counter Redick since Portland has no hope of stopping CP3 from doing whatever he wants.

sagegrouse
04-20-2016, 07:37 AM

Ah, yes, "superstar." I remember when I first saw the term -- it was an AP article in the local paper in the late 1950's. It said there were some players who were beginning to transcend stardom and had reached the level of "superstar." The two cited were "Stan the Man" and the "Splendid Splinter" They were household names and talked about like the weather. But there were some up-and-coming players who might -- might -- turn into superstars, such as Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays.

Aha! This was in about 1958. Musial and Williams had been stars since World War II (Musial) and before (Williams). It was about longevity and "brand" based on long-term exposure to the sporting public. Even non-sports fans knew their names. I mean, Mantle and Mays had already had some of their best years and still weren't yet considered superstars.

Now? Forget about it! It's any rookie who hits 30 home runs.

Kindly,
Sage
'And, of course, they were all baseball players. Baseball was truly the dominant professional sport'

elvis14
04-20-2016, 09:27 AM
To me a "star" player is:
A) Someone you can build a team around
B) Is consistently on the All Star team

A "superstar" is a star player who also:
C) Is capable of single handedly winning you games
D) Leads his team to the playoffs
E) Has branding power
F) Makes All-NBA teams multiple times

Just my thoughts on the matter. Might be more points I didn't think of and some of those above can be loosely used in certain situations (injuries, time in league, etc...)

I can see at least 500 posts on this definition and, possibly, some time outs coming! :confused::p:D:cool:

I agree that we could go around and around on the definition but I think JNort did a pretty good job with this definitions. Applying that to Livingston, I could see him coming into his own before the injury but I never thought he could reach 'super star' level but I was thinking that he was going to be quite good. Don't know if he'd reach JNorts definition of 'star' but he'd be close or at the very least a very important and talented role player.

huey
04-20-2016, 09:36 AM
(Jordan's moving screens help, too)

I think Deandre should win the best screener of the year award. I'm constantly in awe when I see JJ running off screens and being wide open. I don't even think it's really 'moving' (well, at least not Draymond Green levels of moving), but he's very quick to step in once JJ goes around him. And with his huge shoulders and arms, he really cuts off the pursuing defender. It's so good that I find it hard to watch NBA/college games with weak pick-setters. Why even run the play if you're not going to set the screen!?

phaedrus
04-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Here is a nice write-up about JJ on a Trail Blazers SB Nation page (http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/4/19/11459020/nba-playoffs-2016-mccollum-redick-rivers-video). It's actually has a decent analysis of how the Clippers use JJ's ability to run forever off and around screens to great effect (Jordan's moving screens help, too). The author even proposes having a dedicated help defender to counter Redick since Portland has no hope of stopping CP3 from doing whatever he wants.

Even better, it's at the expense of Duke-slaying villain C.J. McCollum (who, like Gordon Hayward, has so far turned out to be a better professional than anyone on the "Goliath" Duke team he faced).

On the other hand, MP2 - the second-best NBA player from that fateful day - is appearing on some posters this series.

huey
04-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Just a reminder, but JJ is continuing his Vertical Podcast throughout the playoffs:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vertical-podcast-jj-redick/id1078782233?mt=2

His recent guest is Ben Winston, and you can definitely tell he's professional comedian vs. JJ's usual athlete guests. Lots of insights from JJ and it's interesting to see how much he's matured and become self aware during his NBA career. JJ's podcasts skills, like his shooting game, are improving and he's doing a much better job of letting his guests tell their stories. Good listen to have on in the background.

Troublemaker
04-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Halftime of Heat-Hornets.

The following shot chart should be unsustainable, and Charlotte should have a chance to make a comeback and win Game 2. But we'll see. (Rooting for the Dukies, so hoping Miami continues to scorch.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CghoxwIUIAEOOq6.jpg

jv001
04-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Halftime of Heat-Hornets.

The following shot chart should be unsustainable, and Charlotte should have a chance to make a comeback and win Game 2. But we'll see. (Rooting for the Dukies, so hoping Miami continues to scorch.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CghoxwIUIAEOOq6.jpg

Go Heat and GoDuke!

moonpie23
04-20-2016, 10:23 PM
watching matthew dellavedova.......he's a tough sob......i can see why he won the gig...

flyingdutchdevil
04-20-2016, 10:38 PM
watching matthew dellavedova....he's a tough sob...i can see why he won the gig...

Was thinking the same thing. I really like Delly. id want him as my back up PG any day.

JasonEvans
04-20-2016, 11:00 PM
JJ has 8 points in the first 4 minutes of the Clips game. Not bad.

Sadly, he missed the FT after this bit of wonderfulness (https://vine.co/v/iFILhiOJmYD).

Tom B.
04-20-2016, 11:52 PM
JJ has 8 points in the first 4 minutes of the Clips game. Not bad.

Sadly, he missed the FT after this bit of wonderfulness (https://vine.co/v/iFILhiOJmYD).

This Blazers-Clips game is like watching a Duke reunion. J.J., Austin Rivers, MP2, and Gerald Henderson were all on the floor at the same time in the second quarter.

huey
04-21-2016, 12:07 AM
This Blazers-Clips game is like watching a Duke reunion. J.J., Austin Rivers, MP2, and Gerald Henderson were all on the floor at the same time in the second quarter.

Good games all around. JJ with his usual hot start. Want to give a special shoutout to MP2, who's having a great game on O and D. Caught a bunch of his games this year and he fits really well with this team. He plays a hybrid point-forward/center. He's athletic enough to keep it fast paced with Dame and CJ but can also protect the rim. Plus, he can push the pace and bring it up court himself and I think he might have led all big men in assists. Not a bad pickup for the Blazers after LMA left. I think he'll be a major cornerstone of the 'rebuild' in Portland (one of the highest-seeded rebuilds ever, probably).

luburch
04-21-2016, 07:51 AM
So Stanley Johnson is running his mouth... a lot...http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15285077/stanley-johnson-detroit-pistons-says-definitely-cleveland-cavaliers-star-lebron-james-head

westwall
04-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Want to give a special shoutout to MP2, who's having a great game on O and D. Caught a bunch of his games this year and he fits really well with this team. He plays a hybrid point-forward/center. He's athletic enough to keep it fast paced with Dame and CJ but can also protect the rim. Plus, he can push the pace and bring it up court himself and I think he might have led all big men in assists. Not a bad pickup for the Blazers after LMA left. I think he'll be a major cornerstone of the 'rebuild' in Portland (one of the highest-seeded rebuilds ever, probably).

Yep. And Mason's "outstanding" play was duly noted by the TV announcers.

Ichabod Drain
04-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Good games all around. JJ with his usual hot start. Want to give a special shoutout to MP2, who's having a great game on O and D. Caught a bunch of his games this year and he fits really well with this team. He plays a hybrid point-forward/center. He's athletic enough to keep it fast paced with Dame and CJ but can also protect the rim. Plus, he can push the pace and bring it up court himself and I think he might have led all big men in assists. Not a bad pickup for the Blazers after LMA left. I think he'll be a major cornerstone of the 'rebuild' in Portland (one of the highest-seeded rebuilds ever, probably).

Mason finished with 17 pts, 10 Rebs, 7 Ast, and 0 turnovers.

McCollum and Lillard combined to shoot 12-39.

FerryFor50
04-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Tar Hole gets posterized by LBJ

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4702738-lebron-james-reggie-bullock-dunk-playoffs-nba-video-highlights

FerryFor50
04-21-2016, 09:49 AM
So Stanley Johnson is running his mouth... a lot...http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15285077/stanley-johnson-detroit-pistons-says-definitely-cleveland-cavaliers-star-lebron-james-head

When I think of players in the NBA that I'd like to give extra motivation to as an opponent, it definitely isn't the 6'8", 250lb hall of famer in his prime.

cato
04-21-2016, 10:20 AM

I guess he's earned the right, what with virtually shutting LBJ down and sparking a victory.

duke09hms
04-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Tar Heel gets posterized by LBJ

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4702738-lebron-james-reggie-bullock-dunk-playoffs-nba-video-highlights

Throwback to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ

Reggie Bullock: "Duke has sorry wing players. Andre Dawkins can't guard me. Kyrie can't guard Kendall. Singler ..."

Love how the numbers have changed now ... FIVE CHAMPIONSHIPS BABY!
Wish they hadn't stopped him about Kyle haha

Harrison STILL comes across like a huge douche.

Troublemaker
04-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Demarre Carroll looks much healthier and he's held down Paul George in this game. Pacers don't have enough alternate sources of scoring to compete. This series could easily end in 5.

Actually, all of the first round has been uncompetitive so far. Would not be totally surprised by the following results:

East - Cavs in 5, Raps in 5, Heat in 5, Hawks in 5
West - GSW in 5, Spurs in 4, OKC in 5, Clips in 5

By random chance, one of these series should go to 6 games, though.

(Note: With the Warriors, if Curry continues to be out, I could see Houston stealing a game.)

huey
04-22-2016, 10:29 AM
(Note: With the Warriors, if Curry continues to be out, I could see Houston stealing a game.)

You don't say

moonpie23
04-22-2016, 01:26 PM
i give GS a 90% chance they win last night with curry just being in on the last play....

huey
04-23-2016, 12:14 AM
https://streamable.com/oage

I guess 0.7 is enough for a catch and shoot.

Troublemaker
04-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Nice 42-point game from Isaiah Thomas last night to deliver coach Brad Stevens his first playoff win in six tries. A scrappy effort without Avery Bradley and Kelly Olynyk.

flyingdutchdevil
04-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Nice 42-point game from Isaiah Thomas last night to deliver coach Brad Stevens his first playoff win in six tries. A scrappy effort without Avery Bradley and Kelly Olynyk.

This is clearly Brad Stevens's opportunity to show Duke that he's Coach K's successor :rolleyes:

wilson
04-23-2016, 06:03 PM
Luol with the hot hand early for Miami. He has 12 of Miami's 21 with 3+ to play in the first.

subzero02
04-23-2016, 07:51 PM
I haven't watched Charlotte play many times this year but their buzz city uniforms are only slightly better than the proposed unis for the New Jersey swamp dragons.

JNort
04-23-2016, 08:44 PM
I haven't watched Charlotte play many times this year but their buzz city uniforms are only slightly better than the proposed unis for the New Jersey swamp dragons.

Sorta.... except the Buzz City unis are one of the best NBA jerseys....

subzero02
04-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Sorta... except the Buzz City unis are one of the best NBA jerseys...

Maybe if they said Charlotte instead of Buzz City I could warm up to the color scheme. Buzz city just sounds incredibly lame. They need to lose the sleeves too.

Newton_14
04-23-2016, 11:29 PM
JJ had a nice game 1. Efficient 17 points in 27 minutes on 8-12 FG. I'm also glad Austin has developed into a respectable bench and rotation player.

Lots of Duke guys who play meaningful roles for their teams in this series. I like it.

Yes indeed, and how does that compare to all those paper class boys from the dump on the hump. Since they have the most guys in the playoffs surely they are running away with the stats and having major impacts on their teams chances to win right? I see Marvin Williams had a magnificent 12 points today! woot woot! How are all the other paperclass boys doing so far? :cool:

FerryFor50
04-24-2016, 12:27 AM
Mason Plumlee has 19 boards and 9 assists and it's just the 3rd quarter. This is against DeAndre Jordan.

Interesting way to get a double-double if he gets there.

Exnicios
04-24-2016, 01:22 AM
Mase finished with 6/21/9. Third guy to put up 21 boards and 9 assists in a playoff game since 1984...Barkley and KG being the others.

JJ on the other hand had a rough night (2 of 10 shooting).

dukelifer
04-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Mason Plumlee has 19 boards and 9 assists and it's just the 3rd quarter. This is against DeAndre Jordan.

Interesting way to get a double-double if he gets there.

"He became the first player with 19 or more rebounds and eight or more assists in a playoff game since LeBron James in 2010. He's also the first Blazer center with eight-plus assists in a postseason game since Arvydas Sabonis in 1999 against Phoenix.

Lillard called him a monster.

''With the attention that me and CJ get, we've got to trust him in the middle to score the ball and make the right play,'' Lillard said. ''Tonight he played close to a perfect game.''

Plumlee was brought to the podium to take questions from the media for the first time in his career.

''Good thing I wore a tie,'' he said."

dukelifer
04-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Mase finished with 6/21/9. Third guy to put up 21 boards and 9 assists in a playoff game since 1984...Barkley and KG being the others.

JJ on the other hand had a rough night (2 of 10 shooting).

JJ with a bruised heel- those don't heal fast.

juise
04-24-2016, 01:58 PM
"He became the first player with 19 or more rebounds and eight or more assists in a playoff game since LeBron James in 2010. He's also the first Blazer center with eight-plus assists in a postseason game since Arvydas Sabonis in 1999 against Phoenix.

Lillard called him a monster.

''With the attention that me and CJ get, we've got to trust him in the middle to score the ball and make the right play,'' Lillard said. ''Tonight he played close to a perfect game.''

Plumlee was brought to the podium to take questions from the media for the first time in his career.

''Good thing I wore a tie,'' he said."

Such a shame that those Plumlee boys spent a chunk of their Duke careers rebounding, finding open scorers, and setting picks. They just weren't prepared for the next level. 🙄

SilkyJ
04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Mason with the dunk of the playoffs so far, I think:

https://twitter.com/trailblazers/status/724094021698768896?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

JJ with a bruised heel- those don't heal fast.

The in-game announcers said that Doc was "more worried about JJ's heal than all the other injuries on his team combined" or something to that effect. I think that was more of a comment on JJ's value to the team rather than the severity of the injury as he returned to the game after that comment. But its likely a comment on both as apparently heals can nag...

Troublemaker
04-24-2016, 09:22 PM
This is clearly Brad Stevens's opportunity to show Duke that he's Coach K's successor :rolleyes:

Well, I'm impressed. Another scrappy win for an undermanned Celtics team, albeit at home.

Marcus Smart was awesome. The only Celtic who could slow down Millsap and then on the other end, he made pretty good decisions and made his shots on offense.

luburch
04-25-2016, 07:05 AM
So the Spurs and Cavs move on, as expected.

Steph Curry goes down with another injury, this time it's his knee. Hopefully nothing serious and he'll be good to go for the next round.

Pacers/Raptors are knotted up at two games each and Toronto has to be feeling really nervous about game 5.

Somehow (Brad Stevens) the Celtics find a way to even the series with the Hawks.

Three games scheduled for tonight, hopefully at least two of them will be close!

Troublemaker
04-25-2016, 07:15 AM
So the Spurs and Cavs move on, as expected.

Steph Curry goes down with another injury, this time it's his knee. Hopefully nothing serious and he'll be good to go for the next round.

Pacers/Raptors are knotted up at two games each and Toronto has to be feeling really nervous about game 5.

Somehow (Brad Stevens) the Celtics find a way to even the series with the Hawks.

Three games scheduled for tonight, hopefully at least two of them will be close!

Yes, hopefully Curry's MRI today shows nothing serious. It would be a real downer if this is how the 73-win team loses. I'm not rooting for GSW; in fact, I'm probably going to root for the Clips against them. BUT, not like this.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Yes, hopefully Curry's MRI today shows nothing serious. It would be a real downer if this is how the 73-win team loses. I'm not rooting for GSW; in fact, I'm probably going to root for the Clips against them. BUT, not like this.

73 wins and Curry's injury could be correlated. The Dubs went for glory over rest. May end up biting them in the playoffs.

Troublemaker
04-25-2016, 07:40 AM
73 wins and Curry's injury could be correlated. The Dubs went for glory over rest. May end up biting them in the playoffs.

Did going for 73 wins wear out the floor moppers? I see this as a freak injury. (And what injuries did the 72-win Bulls suffer?)

moonpie23
04-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Did going for 73 wins wear out the floor moppers? I see this as a freak injury. (And what injuries did the 72-win Bulls suffer?)

yeah, this could have happened in ANY game......just a tough slide...

Indoor66
04-25-2016, 08:26 AM
It looked like a painful muscle pull to me. Terrible when a foot slides out like that.

Ichabod Drain
04-25-2016, 08:35 AM

Here is what happened. Nothing to do with needing rest or anything of the sort, just straight up Lemony Snickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCNZRwygzbs

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 08:37 AM

Curry has two back-to-back injuries, and the knee injury - while flukie - is an injury no less. Could it have been prevented via less playing time during the season? Probably not, but there are plenty of studies/correlations between the length of the NBA season and injuries:

-http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/injuries-pile-nba-going-address-physical-demands-puts-170034633--nba.html
-https://www.hss.edu/newsroom_correlation-to-acl-tears-unlikely.asp
-http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14757066/nba-schedule-breaking-players

I think it's great that the Warriors broke the record, but me thinks they should have rested starters with the #1 seed locked up. Natties are muuuuuuuuuch more important than breaking a reg season record, IMO.

CDu
04-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Curry has two back-to-back injuries, and the knee injury - while flukie - is an injury no less. Could it have been prevented via less playing time during the season? Probably not, but there are plenty of studies/correlations between the length of the NBA season and injuries:

-http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/injuries-pile-nba-going-address-physical-demands-puts-170034633--nba.html

I think it's great that the Warriors broke the record, but me thinks they should have rested starters with the #1 seed locked up. Natties are muuuuuuuuuch more important than breaking a reg season record, IMO.

I can buy that the ankle injury could potentially have been avoided with rest. But the second injury was the result of slipping on a wet spot on the floor. I don't see any realistic way that would be avoided with more rest a week+ ago.

Also, one of the studies you mention above says there isn't correlation between wear and tear and ACL injuries.

JNort
04-25-2016, 09:21 AM

Nah if you have a shot at history I think you should take it. Besides it's not like the Warriors starters played that much. Take a look at the minutes played this year and Curry is the highest guy on the team but around 25th or so in the league.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Nah if you have a shot at history I think you should take it. Besides it's not like the Warriors starters played that much. Take a look at the minutes played this year and Curry is the highest guy on the team but around 25th or so in the league.

I'd rather go 35-5 next year with a natty than 39-1 without a natty. I like natties. To me, they are exponentially more important than anything you can accomplish during the regular season. If a UK fan starts chiming about 38-1, all I have to do is show him my copy of the Chronicle/t-shirt/SI magazine/hat/[insert amazing memorabilia here].

With Curry, the Dubs are still overwhelming favorites. Without Curry, they have no chance against the Spurs.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 09:35 AM
I can buy that the ankle injury could potentially have been avoided with rest. But the second injury was the result of slipping on a wet spot on the floor. I don't see any realistic way that would be avoided with more rest a week+ ago.

Also, one of the studies you mention above says there isn't correlation between wear and tear and ACL injuries.

Same article mentioned a correlation between longevity and other injuries. ACLs are terrible (and I know you had a tear), but there are a lot of other injuries that prevent you from playing that can be prevented by less playing time and more rest.

Ichabod Drain
04-25-2016, 09:39 AM
I'd rather go 35-5 next year with a natty than 39-1 without a natty. I like natties. To me, they are exponentially more important than anything you can accomplish during the regular season. If a UK fan starts chiming about 38-1, all I have to do is show him my copy of the Chronicle/t-shirt/SI magazine/hat/[insert amazing memorabilia here].

With Curry, the Dubs are still overwhelming favorites. Without Curry, they have no chance against the Spurs.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Also Curry rested a lot this year. He sat out the entire fourth quarter 14 times. He played almost 400 minutes less than Jordan in 96.

ikiru36
04-25-2016, 09:41 AM

I get what you are saying, but I think that it is likely off base here. Curry, a player still clearly in his athletic prime at age 28, played only 34.2 minutes per game over the season, good enough for 30th in the league, as the Warriors often rested him in the 4th quarter...etc. As one point of comparison, Michael Jordan averaged 38.3 MPG over his career, over 40 MPG some seasons and 37 MPG during his final year in the league at age 39! I'll admit that MJ is probably never a fair comparison for anyone, but to blame the fact that the Warriors played Curry many fewer minutes than MJ, let alone James Harden this year at 38.1 MPG this year (with a much more physical playing style than Curry) seems to be grasping at straws.

As for the regular season record, do you really think that any team wouldn't have at least thrown their starters out there with a shot at the All-Time wins record on the line? When that final game is at home, on 3 days rest, to be followed by 3 more days rest? As for chasing records, in that final game, Curry had 10 3 pointers through 3 periods , 3 short of the all-time record in a game. So they rested him the entire 4th quarter.

Get better soon, Steph, Go Blue Devils and GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indoor66
04-25-2016, 09:43 AM

I'll take 40-0 and then I know the outcome - as well as another place in history! I think going for the record was the right move for GS. Neither Curry injury has any relationship to playing time. Ankles in the NBA are daily occurrences - landing on a foot, rolling one on a stop move, etc. The slip on a wet spot could have happened in the first game of the season as easily as in the playoffs.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm clearly in the minority here, and hindsight is always an unfair advantage.

But I like the Spurs approach: rest your key guys, both old and young. It can pay dividends down the road.

I like Steph and hope he gets better soon. But I don't like the Dubs (I don't like any SF team). I really hope they crash and burn against the Clips in the next series. Or the Spurs after that. Or Kyrie Irving's Cavs (you see what I did there? ;))

CDu
04-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Same article mentioned a correlation between longevity and other injuries. ACLs are terrible (and I know you had a tear), but there are a lot of other injuries that prevent you from playing that can be prevented by less playing time and more rest.

But how much rest is "enough"? I mean, Curry wasn't exactly a taxed player at any point this season. He was very well rested relative to other superstars.

It would be a better argument if Curry was in fact playing heavy minutes. But he wasn't. He was 20th in total minutes and 30th in minutes per game. Nobody is complaining about Kyle Lowry's minutes, yet he played 150 more minutes this year and averaged 3 more minutes per game. John Wall played 80 more minutes and averaged 2 more minutes per game.

These injuries had nothing to do with lack of rest. They were fluke things. Especially the knee. More rest wouldn't have prevented that, and there is really no reason to assume that he needed more rest to be at his best now.

By the way - I agree with your point that being well-rested is important. I just don't agree with applying that argument to Curry's injuries, or suggesting that the Warriors didn't rest their players enough. I think they did a pretty good job of resting their players throughout the year. They just caught a bad break in this round. Hopefully for them not a devastatingly bad break.

JNort
04-25-2016, 10:03 AM

This doesn't help or support anything. I'd rather take the 39-1 and win a championship (Basically what the Warriors are trying).

JNort
04-25-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm clearly in the minority here, and hindsight is always an unfair advantage.

But I like the Spurs approach: rest your key guys, both old and young. It can pay dividends down the road.

I like Steph and hope he gets better soon. But I don't like the Dubs (I don't like any SF team). I really hope they crash and burn against the Clips in the next series. Or the Spurs after that. Or Kyrie Irving's Cavs (you see what I did there? ;))

I just like Steph to much to want them to lose. I mean I would be ok with it if CP3 got a ring or Lebron got another but I'd rather this year be for Curry since they got the wins record also.

The Spurs also got a very stacked roster. Everyone seems to overlook them but they easily (EASILY!!!) got the best roster and collection of talent. The Warriors got Curry and that's the difference between them. Curry is like a real life cheat code in basketball.

tux
04-25-2016, 11:34 AM
I just like Steph to much to want them to lose. I mean I would be ok with it if CP3 got a ring or Lebron got another but I'd rather this year be for Curry since they got the wins record also.

The Spurs also got a very stacked roster. Everyone seems to overlook them but they easily (EASILY!!!) got the best roster and collection of talent. The Warriors got Curry and that's the difference between them. Curry is like a real life cheat code in basketball.

I don't dislike the Warriors but am not really pulling for them to repeat either. I was more interested in seeing if the Spurs (and then the Cavs with a healthy Kyrie) could give them a run in a 7 game series. Potentially taking Curry out of the equation makes all of that a lot less fun.

DukieInKansas
04-25-2016, 03:48 PM
NBC Sports reporting Steph Curry is out for 2 weeks: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/25/warriors-stephen-curry-out-at-least-two-weeks/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

elvis14
04-25-2016, 04:32 PM
NBC Sports reporting Steph Curry is out for 2 weeks: http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/25/warriors-stephen-curry-out-at-least-two-weeks/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

I hope that's enough time for him to come back and be dominant again. He's the best show in basketball right now.

phaedrus
04-25-2016, 04:53 PM

Here's a crazy thought. It's obvious the Warriors will be hoping the Clips/Blazers series goes as long as possible to give Steph time to heal. That, of course, is out of their control. What is in their control, on the other hand, is how long the Warriors-Rockets series goes. Would the Warriors be better off winning in 7 than winning in 5?

MChambers
04-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Just saw Hansbrough on the bench. When did he acquire that nasty moustache?

JetpackJesus
04-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Here's a crazy thought. It's obvious the Warriors will be hoping the Clips/Blazers series goes as long as possible to give Steph time to heal. That, of course, is out of their control. What is in their control, on the other hand, is how long the Warriors-Rockets series goes. Would the Warriors be better off winning in 7 than winning in 5?

Yes, assuming no one else gets hurt in those extra two games. But I've mentioned before that I think the Clippers actually have a chance against GS even with Curry (I'm assuming the Clippers don't collapse like they did last year). I think it's a very small chance, of course, but I think a healthy Clippers could win, especially now that they seem to have an actual second unit. Without Curry, I think the Clippers are a real threat to GS, so the longer it takes for that series to start, the better for GS. I'd still favor GS, though.

huey
04-26-2016, 12:12 AM
On the other hand, MP2 - the second-best NBA player from that fateful day - is appearing on some posters this series.

I think Mr. Plumlee might have something to say about this.

Another great game from MP2, 9/5/2 at the half...and he's continuing to put some others on posters.

JetpackJesus
04-26-2016, 01:11 AM
Yes, assuming no one else gets hurt in those extra two games. But I've mentioned before that I think the Clippers actually have a chance against GS even with Curry (I'm assuming the Clippers don't collapse like they did last year). I think it's a very small chance, of course, but I think a healthy Clippers could win, especially now that they seem to have an actual second unit. Without Curry, I think the Clippers are a real threat to GS, so the longer it takes for that series to start, the better for GS. I'd still favor GS, though.

So much for anything I said about the Clippers. They're toast without CP3.

luburch
04-26-2016, 06:55 AM
No Curry. No CP3. Why can't we have nice things?!

Things are opening up nicely for the Thunder/Spurs.

CDu
04-26-2016, 07:16 AM

Things are opening up nicely for the Thunder/Spurs.

Well, maybe. Without Paul, the Warriors stand a reasonable chance of surviving long enough for Curry to return. In which case the Warriors would be back to full strength for the WCF.

luburch
04-26-2016, 07:18 AM
Well, maybe. Without Paul, the Warriors stand a reasonable chance of surviving long enough for Curry to return. In which case the Warriors would be back to full strength for the WCF.

He may return, but will he be at full strength? I think that's the question that needs to be asked.

wilson
04-26-2016, 07:59 AM

Things are opening up nicely for the Thunder/Spurs.What about the Cavs? The Spurs now look to be the favorites in the West, and while San Antonio too had a historically great regular season, I think the Cavs match up better physically and style-wise against the Spurs than against the Warriors.
I would think that Cleveland is quietly biding its time, trying to take care of business in the East while everyone slavers over the West. If I'm a Cavs fan, I feel much better about championship possibilities now than two weeks ago. Especially with Kyrie rounding into such top form, why not Cleveland (other than the obvious reason of, "Not Cleveland because, I mean, Cleveland.")?

sagegrouse
04-26-2016, 08:09 AM
By the way, 10 assists, 14 boards, and three blocks for Mason last night in a low-scoring night (two points).

luburch
04-26-2016, 08:13 AM
What about the Cavs? The Spurs now look to be the favorites in the West, and while San Antonio too had a historically great regular season, I think the Cavs match up better physically and style-wise against the Spurs than against the Warriors.
I would think that Cleveland is quietly biding its time, trying to take care of business in the East while everyone slavers over the West. If I'm a Cavs fan, I feel much better about championship possibilities now than two weeks ago. Especially with Kyrie rounding into such top form, why not Cleveland (other than the obvious reason of, "Not Cleveland because, I mean, Cleveland.)?

Oh I agree the Cavs have to like the situation they are in. I was just referring to Western Conference for the time being, since no one really knows when Steph will be back or when he will be back to full strength. The Cavs definitely match up better against the Spurs.

The Cavs also have to be happy with how things are shaking out in the East. The Celtics are without Avery Bradley and are tied up at 2-2 with the Hawks. The Heat looked pretty bad in their last two games and the Hornets tied the series up. The Pacers seem to have a legitimate shot of taking out the Raptors. The first round in the East has actually been pretty crazy.

Ichabod Drain
04-26-2016, 08:17 AM
By the way, 10 assists, 14 boards, and three blocks for Mason last night in a low-scoring night (two points).

Mason has 26 assists in the last three games and he's been a lot of fun to watch in this series. Portland fans are loving him.

oakvillebluedevil
04-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Mason has 26 assists in the last three games and he's been a lot of fun to watch in this series. Portland fans are loving him.

For comparison, he had 70 assists his entire senior season at Duke.

Really cool to see how his game has evolved.

Portland has him as the roll man in a lot of high pick and rolls. Teams are jumping Lillard / McCollum, and they're just dumping off to let him lead a 4-on-3s - very similar to what happens with Draymond Green a lot in Golden State. Mason's just doing an awesome job of converting those situations and finding teammates.

The next defensive evolution is for teams to basically make him score off the roll play rather than leaving a man open - curious to see how he progresses. Super happy for him

kAzE
04-26-2016, 10:26 AM
For comparison, he had 70 assists his entire senior season at Duke.

Really cool to see how his game has evolved.

Portland has him as the roll man in a lot of high pick and rolls. Teams are jumping Lillard / McCollum, and they're just dumping off to let him lead a 4-on-3s - very similar to what happens with Draymond Green a lot in Golden State. Mason's just doing an awesome job of converting those situations and finding teammates.

The next defensive evolution is for teams to basically make him score off the roll play rather than leaving a man open - curious to see how he progresses. Super happy for him

I heard Plumlees are pretty good at dunking.

We might see a triple double from Mason sometime soon, if he keeps playing this well.

phaedrus
04-26-2016, 10:28 AM
We might see a triple double from Mason sometime soon, if he keeps playing this well.

Assists, rebounds, blocks?

Assists, rebounds, steals?

Not sure what the third category will be.

elvis14
04-26-2016, 11:14 AM
So the Clippers now have JJ with a bruised heel (which is apparently worse than it sounds), CP3 with a broken hand and I heard Blake tweaked his quad as well. Thats 3/5 starters. They could be in a little trouble here.

MarkD83
04-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Moving the NBA topic to the top of the page..(yes this is a synical response to the UNC fiasco).

blynch923
04-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Don't count out Portland. With all the injuries piling up for the Clippers and the way the Trailblazers have played the last two games I give them a real chance to advance to the next round.

JNort
04-26-2016, 12:05 PM

That they are http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/ma-son-plum-lee-clap-clap-clapclapclap.299584/

kAzE
04-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Don't count out Portland. With all the injuries piling up for the Clippers and the way the Trailblazers have played the last two games I give them a real chance to advance to the next round.

I'd take it way further. No CP3, possibly no Blake for at least the next game (and he wasn't even close to 100% prior to this latest injury), and JJ a shell of himself? Even the back up point guard (Austin Rivers) is hurt. The Blazers should be heavily favored to win the series at this point.

elvis14
04-26-2016, 03:20 PM
I'd take it way further. No CP3, possibly no Blake for at least the next game (and he wasn't even close to 100% prior to this latest injury), and JJ a shell of himself? Even the back up point guard (Austin Rivers) is hurt. The Blazers should be heavily favored to win the series at this point.

Wow, I didn't realize that Austin "That shot over Zeller to cut the heart out of UNCheat" Rivers was also hurt. There's a good possibility we could be watching Mason and G! instead of JJ and Austin play GSW. What a crazy turn of events the last couple of days. I was really looking forward to that GSW/Clippers series.

dukelifer
04-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Clippers are likely done- not sure they have the will to move forward now

luburch
04-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Wow really dirty play by Lowry on Paul George. Locked his arm out and then threw all of his force on top of it. Not sure how that's not some sort of flagrant.

tbyers11
04-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Wow really dirty play by Lowry on Paul George. Locked his arm out and then threw all of his force on top of it. Not sure how that's not some sort of flagrant.

I saw that too. The refs looked at it for a long time and somehow didn't call a thing on Lowry. Just a tech on George. I feel like there have been several questionable calls against the Pacers. Yet they are still up 11 as I type. Mostly bc Paul George is in beast mode

wilson
04-27-2016, 08:51 AM
We can pretty well count the Clippers out. They announced late yesterday that Chris Paul is "out indefinitely" and that Blake Griffin will miss the rest of the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/725067678151544832
I guess this makes San Antonio a happy town today.

Edouble
04-27-2016, 09:16 AM
We can pretty well count the Clippers out. They announced late yesterday that Chris Paul is "out indefinitely" and that Blake Griffin will miss the rest of the playoffs.
https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/725067678151544832
I guess this makes San Antonio a happy town today.

Which more than evens the playing field for the Warriors, who are without Curry for 2 weeks minimum and will face the winner of the Clippers and Trailblazers (assuming the Warriors get past the Rockets).

This gives Golden State an easier time of things while they wait for the MVP to get back, before facing San Antonio.

Ichabod Drain
04-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Which more than evens the playing field for the Warriors, who are without Curry for 2 weeks minimum and will face the winner of the Clippers and Trailblazers (assuming the Warriors get past the Rockets).

This gives Golden State an easier time of things while they wait for the MVP to get back, before facing San Antonio.

You're not taking into account the possibility of the the Warriors having to deal with the best point-center in the league. The Plumdog.

flyingdutchdevil
04-27-2016, 09:48 AM
You're not taking into account the possibility of the the Warriors having to deal with the best point-center in the league. The Plumdog.

I always thought Plumdog Millionaire would be solid on the boards. And he is. And I wasn't sure about his ability to score in the NBA. I think he's still learning.

But passing? He averaged 1.9 assists a game his SR year, which isn't bad, but it's not something that would make you say, "Wow! He's a stellar passer!" The fact that he is, as you say, one the best Point-Centers in the game is really amazing.

Billy Dat
04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
I always thought Plumdog Millionaire would be solid on the boards. And he is. And I wasn't sure about his ability to score in the NBA. I think he's still learning.

But passing? He averaged 1.9 assists a game his SR year, which isn't bad, but it's not something that would make you say, "Wow! He's a stellar passer!" The fact that he is, as you say, one the best Point-Centers in the game is really amazing.

The coverage I am absorbing (print, podcast) keeps making the comparison of Portland trying to use Mason as a Draymond Green-style facilitator who can be used as a pressure release when GS blitzes the Portland backcourt and then quickly redirect the ball to some of their other shooters, like Aminu.

These injuries are insane and have completely changed the outlook of these playoffs. Suddenly a lot of teams have a much better chance in the West...Spurs and Thunder especially.

phaedrus
04-27-2016, 11:05 AM
The coverage I am absorbing (print, podcast) keeps making the comparison of Portland trying to use Mason as a Draymond Green-style facilitator who can be used as a pressure release when GS blitzes the Portland backcourt and then quickly redirect the ball to some of their other shooters, like Aminu.

If he could shoot the three like Draymond, or like all-time Duke three-point percentage leader Marshall Plumlee, he would really be set.

elvis14
04-27-2016, 11:11 AM

One thing I learned long ago is that assist and turn over numbers don't always show you how good a passer someone is or can be. With Mason, watching him play I always thought he was a good passer so I'm not all that surprised to see that he's doing a good job of that at the next level. Sometimes the eye test tells you more than the stats.

flyingdutchdevil
04-27-2016, 11:22 AM

These injuries are insane and have completely changed the outlook of these playoffs. Suddenly a lot of teams have a much better chance in the West...Spurs and Thunder especially.

Yeah...the injuries are crazy this year. That's why the very delicate approach of the Cavs has actually worked out (so far). The Cavs - minus Iron Man BronBron - are so susceptible to injuries. But they are 100% healthy right now.

While I don't think the Cavs are the favorite (Spurs and GS with a wobbling Curry still take those honors), the Cavs will have the best balance between youth, health, and fresh legs. And with Kyrie playing angry and Lebron about to enter F-U mode, it's tough to bet against them.

luvdahops
04-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Yeah...the injuries are crazy this year. That's why the very delicate approach of the Cavs has actually worked out (so far). The Cavs - minus Iron Man BronBron - are so susceptible to injuries. But they are 100% healthy right now.

While I don't think the Cavs are the favorite (Spurs and GS with a wobbling Curry still take those honors), the Cavs will have the best balance between youth, health, and fresh legs. And with Kyrie playing angry and Lebron about to enter F-U mode, it's tough to bet against them.

I agree with this. The Cavs are, without much apparent fanfare, playing very well right now. Lue seems to have settled on a rotation that can present different looks and matchups, and flex comfortably to small-ball with Lebron at the 4 and Love or Thompson at the 5. They have also become much more proficient and prolific with the 3-ball (57-138 against Detroit, which works out to 41.3% and 14.3 3FGM per game), with Kyrie, Smith and Love all very strong from distance, and Lebron, Dellavedova, Shumpert and Jefferson capable of making decent percentages as well.

rsvman
04-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Does anybody give Oklahoma City any chance at all of defeating the Spurs?

luburch
04-27-2016, 12:49 PM

I believe the series will go seven games. So, they have a chance.

JNort
04-27-2016, 01:15 PM

It's tough cause outside of Russ, Durant and Kanter the Thunder got nobody. Ibaka has been doing better lately but on the season he has not been very good. The Thunder bench is just atrocious (worst of any team in the playoffs perhaps).

The Spurs on the other hand got probably the best bench in the NBA and a top 3 starting lineup. Plus an amazing coach and a solid playoff track record. Everything seems to favor the Spurs in this series.

Only way I see the Thunder winning is Russ, Durant and Kanter going for 80 each night.

luburch
04-27-2016, 01:20 PM
It's tough cause outside of Russ, Durant and Kanter the Thunder got nobody. Ibaka has been doing better lately but on the season he has not been very good. The Thunder bench is just atrocious (worst of any team in the playoffs perhaps).

The Spurs on the other hand got probably the best bench in the NBA and a top 3 starting lineup. Plus an amazing coach and a solid playoff track record. Everything seems to favor the Spurs in this series.

Only way I see the Thunder winning is Russ, Durant and Kanter going for 80 each night.

The Pacers say hello.

Troublemaker
04-27-2016, 08:37 PM
McRoberts getting some burn in Game 5, so Spoelstra is now using all 3 Dukies in the rotation.

Nice adjustments by Hornets coach Clifford in this series, beginning in Game 3. Going big has made the series a toss-up.

JNort
04-27-2016, 08:49 PM
The Pacers say hello.

Yeah I actually forgot about them. That would make for a terrible yet competitive game, Thunder bench vs Pacers bench

dukelifer
04-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Charlotte with a huge win. They have figured out Miami.

luburch
04-28-2016, 07:08 AM
Wasn't able to watch any of the game, but it looks like JJ and Austin were not able to get it done against Portland. Man, I feel bad for that team.

Plumdog had a double-double last night as well! 10 points and 15 boards.

Meanwhile, the Warriors destroyed the Rockets.

Billy Dat
04-29-2016, 11:52 AM
More on Mase the Point Forward

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/29/nba-playoffs-portland-trail-blazers-mason-plumlee-damian-lillard

MChambers
04-29-2016, 03:10 PM
See, all those years of setting screens trained MP2 well!

JetpackJesus
04-29-2016, 11:09 PM
The basketball gods are not kind to the Clippers players. Austin took an elbow to the face going for a rebound.

And ESPN posted the video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15431090) just a moment ago. Looks like it was incidental. Hope he's okay and can return to the game.

subzero02
04-29-2016, 11:57 PM
He looks pretty bad but they need him... what did the Clips do to anger the basketball gods?... it must have been egregious.

JetpackJesus
04-30-2016, 12:10 AM
He looks pretty bad but they need him... what did the Clips do to anger the basketball gods?... it must have been egregious.

Donald Sterling?

huey
04-30-2016, 12:20 AM
The basketball gods are not kind to the Clippers players. Austin took an elbow to the face going for a rebound.

And ESPN posted the video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15431090) just a moment ago. Looks like it was incidental. Hope he's okay and can return to the game.

Back in and playing pretty well. Granted he's still bleeding and it looks like it's going to swell up and completely block his vision, but he's still driving and hitting his floaters and foul shots. Never my favorite at Duke, but have to admire his heart right now.

subzero02
04-30-2016, 12:33 AM
Donald Sterling?

Well their wrath should be focused on Sterling... Austin is doing work right now.

subzero02
04-30-2016, 01:14 AM
Austin with some nice D on Lillard and JJ with the backdoor reverse on the previous play... not over uet

diablesseblu
04-30-2016, 01:22 AM
Mason Plumlee! The man just brought it down the stretch. Love it.

huey
04-30-2016, 01:23 AM
Plumlee with 3 clutch three throws to ice the game and series. Didn't think I'd ever say that.

Rivers getting respect from the Blazers and announcers. He's walking around shaking hands with blood dripping down his face. Looks like he just finished a UFC bout. He's put together two great playoffs in a row now, hopefully he gets some credit for that.

subzero02
04-30-2016, 02:00 AM
If you can't give Austin credit for what he did tonight, you are probably Tyler Zeller. Great performance.

Troublemaker
04-30-2016, 07:27 AM
In other Dukies-in-Playoffs news, Miami forced game 7 by winning in Charlotte with typical great contributions from Luol and Justise. Luol continues to own the battle of Stretch 4s with Kaminsky, which you might expect, given a savvy veteran vs a rookie. And Justise was moved onto and played great defense on Jeremy Lin, who had been killing Miami in pick-n-roll the three previous games. Spoelstra tried out McRoberts again (ahead of Amare) as the main backup to Whiteside, but Josh still looks rusty. So Spo went to 4th-string old man Udonis Haslem, who played decently, and it's very possible Haslem will be the primary backup C going forward.

Nice heroball by Wade at the end to carry his team to a Game 7.

This has been the best first-round series to watch. Raptors-Pacers are also going 7 but most of their individual games have been uncompetitive whereas the past 3 games of Heat-Hornets have been really good, close, tense playoff games. Not classics, but a notch or two below. The coaching battle between Spo and Clifford has been great, too. Lots of subtle tactical adjustments made throughtout the series that have paid off for both teams. I picked the Hornets to upset the Heat in post 1 of this thread but now that Charlotte couldn't close out in Game 6, I have to think the Heat will win Game 7 at home and advance 4 Dukies to the second-round, counting Nick Arison, former Duke manager under Coach K and current CEO of the Heat.

Mabdul Doobakus
04-30-2016, 12:57 PM
I liked what McRoberts brought the Heat last year and early this year in the rare times he wasn't injured, but since coming back this season, he's been flat awful. His shooting percentage is probably somewhere like 33-35% since that time, and it only seems to be getting worse. I wince when he shoots. Even his usual playmaking ability seems less evident, and he's getting schooled on defense. Dude should not be on the floor. Maybe there's something physically wrong with him still, but he can't play right now. Those minutes should be going to Stoudemire or Haslem.

I don't understand how Gerald Green is still getting minutes either. He wastes so many possessions with awful shots. Tyler Johnson is supposedly fully back from his injury...time to roll him on out there for a few minutes in Game 7.

Troublemaker
04-30-2016, 01:04 PM
I liked what McRoberts brought the Heat last year and early this year in the rare times he wasn't injured, but since coming back this season, he's been flat awful. His shooting percentage is probably somewhere like 33-35% since that time, and it only seems to be getting worse. I wince when he shoots. Even his usual playmaking ability seems less evident, and he's getting schooled on defense. Dude should not be on the floor. Maybe there's something physically wrong with him still, but he can't play right now. Those minutes should be going to Stoudemire or Haslem.

I don't understand how Gerald Green is still getting minutes either. He wastes so many possessions with awful shots. Tyler Johnson is supposedly fully back from his injury...time to roll him on out there for a few minutes in Game 7.

Yeah, Josh spent most of the season still feeling soreness from his surgically-repaired right knee. I think he needs the offseason at this point. I'd recommend Haslem over Amare, who has been awful on D, which is what prompted Spo to try out Josh.

Agreed that Tyler Johnson should play ahead of Green. He may need to play a lot of minutes in Game 7 depending on how Josh Richardson's shoulder feels.

juise
04-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Duke Basketball (on Facebook) posted a great pic of Mason with Austin while he was down. Their caption: "The Brotherhood."

huey
04-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Full River highlights;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNRKMF2ZcYg

http://imgur.com/a/OiqAX
Yikes

rsvman
04-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Ouch. Not the start the Thunder wanted in their series against the Spurs.

subzero02
04-30-2016, 10:02 PM
The Spurs are quite good... even before the Curry injury, they were my pick to bring it home. Still lots of basketball remaining though.

Dukehky
04-30-2016, 10:29 PM
The Spurs are quite good... even before the Curry injury, they were my pick to bring it home. Still lots of basketball remaining though.

Kyrie+Dahntay>Danny Green or Harrison Barnes + McAdoo

Go Cavs.

Indoor66
05-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Kyrie+Dahntay>Danny Green or Harrison Barnes + McAdoo

Go Cavs.

If we concede your stated point, there are still three (or four or five) other players on the floor at all times. I think the Spurs do it all this year.

huey
05-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Another batch of Dukies moving on as the Heat destroyed the Hornets in Game 7. Game 7 of the Raptors-Pacers tonight, don't know who's a better matchup for the Heat (so I know who to root for).

Blazers take on the Warriors next. We'll see if MP2 and G can take an early lead in the series against the Curry-less Warriors.

brevity
05-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Another batch of Dukies moving on as the Heat destroyed the Hornets in Game 7.

Wow, for Charlotte to get so close to advancing for the first time in ages, only to get beat wire to wire in a Game 7. I can only imagine how tearful the Hornets owner must be right now.

CDu
05-01-2016, 06:37 PM
The Warriors off to a good start in round 2. Looks like we may see a Spurs/Warriors WCF even if Curry doesn't play until then.

gurufrisbee
05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
And THAT is what an intentional trip looks like.

Troublemaker
05-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Another batch of Dukies moving on as the Heat destroyed the Hornets in Game 7. Game 7 of the Raptors-Pacers tonight, don't know who's a better matchup for the Heat (so I know who to root for).

When in doubt, I'd say root for the 7 seed over the 2 seed so Miami can get homecourt advantage in the next round.

subzero02
05-02-2016, 03:04 AM
Plumlee definitely had a rough day against the warriors.

luburch
05-02-2016, 07:07 AM
And THAT is what an intentional trip looks like.

Where are the ESPN articles claiming Varejão is destined to be the most hated Warriors player of all time?

Raptors were lucky last night. DeRozan gets away with a shove on one end and a travel on the other as time was expiring. Pacers lost the series when they let game 5 slip away though.

Go Cavs. Go Warriors.

Troublemaker
05-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Scheduling

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone else, but here goes.

Both West semifinals have already played Game 1. To allow the East to catch up, both West series will take a massive 3-day break between Games 2 and Game 3. I think OKC is going to need those extra days to try to figure something out against this Spurs machine. Same with Portland vis a vis the Warriors. Although if Steph comes back in Game 3 and isn't rusty, that's lights out for the Blazers.

In the East, in order for both series to catch up, they're both going to play every other day. That's not a big deal for Cavs-Hawks who both finished their series early; the Cavs swept and probably got too much rest (a full week) and the Hawks got 3 days' rest after closing in 6. However, the poor Raptors and Heat! They both finished in 7 yesterday and will only get 1 day's rest today before playing Game 1 tomorrow, and they go at it every other day until Game 7. That series has an opportunity to get ragged.

It's very important to close out first-round series in less than 7.

Dukehky
05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
If we concede your stated point, there are still three (or four or five) other players on the floor at all times. I think the Spurs do it all this year.

Just meant that's who I'm pulling for not who is better. Although in that case, it's the same, but the Dubs and Spurs are better than the Cavs right now.

dukelifer
05-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Just meant that's who I'm pulling for not who is better. Although in that case, it's the same, but the Dubs and Spurs are better than the Cavs right now.

I don't think the Cavs are getting out of the East. Lebron is no longer other worldly.

moonpie23
05-02-2016, 09:33 PM
I don't think the Cavs are getting out of the East. Lebron is no longer other worldly.

yeah, close to another triple double......he's stinking the joint up...

no field goals for the hawks for the last 3 1/2 minutes.....kyrie with a SPECTACULAR block......

FerryFor50
05-02-2016, 09:42 PM

Has less to do with that and more to do with LeBron being less of a scorer and more of a facilitator.

Not to mention he's been getting murdered on drives without getting very many calls. He shot ONE FT attempt all game, despite going to the rack multiple times with multiple fouls that should have been called. Laughable.

huey
05-02-2016, 09:45 PM

O you mean 25 points, 7 rebounds, 9 assists, 5 steals, and a block for good measure? I think playoff Lebron is plenty other wordly. It was only a year ago he almost took down the team with the most wins ever almost single-handedly.

yeah, close to another triple double...he's stinking the joint up...

no field goals for the hawks for the last 3 1/2 minutes....kyrie with a SPECTACULAR block...

Kryie rising up for the block to seal the game:
https://streamable.com/8z10

Dahntay Jones with a smooth Euro Step in transition in reduced garbage time. Will throw the gif up (or Millsap's reaction) if I find it.

FerryFor50
05-02-2016, 09:57 PM
It's still very early, but it appears that the Thunder have awoken a bit after the game 1 blowout.

jipops
05-02-2016, 10:44 PM
It's still very early, but it appears that the Thunder have awoken a bit after the game 1 blowout.

This first half has been a joy to watch.

huey
05-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Needed to throw up that Dahntay Jones Eurostep:

https://vine.co/v/ixiqnMFrTZj

God it's such a great move. I can't do it on demand but sometimes it just happens during the game and it feels great. Looks good too.

Forgot if this was posted above but JJ and Jamal had a heart to heart the day after their season-ending loss:

https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/d9b6db85-3d25-4711-82a7-0395fa11c5b9

One oft the best bball podcasts I've ever listened to. Allowed you to really connect with 2 great NBA players. I've never been sure about Jamal b/c of his ball hog-ish style, but after that pod I know he's at least a great guy and teammate.
JJ's interviewing skills are rapidly improving. He's stopped talking over his guest and everything flows pretty smoothly.

FerryFor50
05-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Needed to throw up that Dahntay Jones Eurostep:

https://vine.co/v/ixiqnMFrTZj

God it's such a great move. I can't do it on demand but sometimes it just happens during the game and it feels great. Looks good too.

Forgot if this was posted above but JJ and Jamal had a heart to heart the day after their season-ending loss:

https://art19.com/shows/vertical-jj-redick/episodes/d9b6db85-3d25-4711-82a7-0395fa11c5b9

One oft the best bball podcasts I've ever listened to. Allowed you to really connect with 2 great NBA players. I've never been sure about Jamal b/c of his ball hog-ish style, but after that pod I know he's at least a great guy and teammate.
JJ's interviewing skills are rapidly improving. He's stopped talking over his guest and everything flows pretty smoothly.

I saw Jamal Crawford on a NBA broadcast as a commentator/special guest and he was great. Hope he continues that after he retires.

luburch
05-03-2016, 06:50 AM

Who exactly is supposed to beat the Cavs in the East? The Hawks who struggled with a depleted Celtics team or the Raptors and Heat who both needed 7 games to knock off lower seeds?

FerryFor50
05-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Who exactly is supposed to beat the Cavs in the East? The Hawks who struggled with a depleted Celtics team or the Raptors and Heat who both needed 7 games to knock off lower seeds?

Heat have the best chance, especially if Bosh returns, which is being rumored.

Outside of that, Hawks and Raptors are unlikely, unless Kevin Love's ankle tweak is serious.

CDu
05-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Heat have the best chance, especially if Bosh returns, which is being rumored.

Outside of that, Hawks and Raptors are unlikely, unless Kevin Love's ankle tweak is serious.

I would give the Heat a very small chance of beating the Cavs. I'd give the Raptors and Hawks basically no chance. Unless LeBron gets hurt. Then I'd make the Heat substantial favorites and would consider the Hawks and Raptors a 50/50 (maybe slightly better) proposition with the Cavs.

subzero02
05-03-2016, 03:03 PM
The no call on Waiters' offensive foul during the inbounds play was egregious. San Antonio had several chances to win after that but it should have been their ball with 13.5 seconds remaining. OKC had no answer for Aldridge down the stretch; I expect the Spurs to go to him early and often in OKC ( home of the most sedate crowd in pro sports).

FerryFor50
05-03-2016, 03:18 PM
The no call on Waiters' offensive foul during the inbounds play was egregious. San Antonio had several chances to win after that but it should have been their ball with 13.5 seconds remaining. OKC had no answer for Aldridge down the stretch; I expect the Spurs to go to him early and often in OKC ( home of the most sedate crowd in pro sports).

The NBA officials twitter account addressed it. Said they'd never seen that before:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637575-thunder-vs-spurs-referee-comments-on-dion-waiters-manu-ginobili-non-foul-call

Waiters' foul was pretty bad, but Ginobili was also stepping all over the line. Should have been a tech on Ginobili. I think it evened out.

elvis14
05-03-2016, 03:24 PM
The NBA officials twitter account addressed it. Said they'd never seen that before:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637575-thunder-vs-spurs-referee-comments-on-dion-waiters-manu-ginobili-non-foul-call

Waiters' foul was pretty bad, but Ginobili was also stepping all over the line. Should have been a tech on Ginobili. I think it evened out.

I think you could say that it evens out but having someone step on the line guarding the inbounds play happens all the time and is almost never called. It's not a call you'd ever expect to get in that situation. Using a forearm shiver to create space to pass the ball in doesn't happen all the time and is a call I'd expect to get in pretty much any situation.

FerryFor50
05-03-2016, 03:26 PM
I think you could say that it evens out but having someone step on the line guarding the inbounds play happens all the time and is almost never called. It's not a call you'd ever expect to get in that situation. Using a forearm shiver to create space to pass the ball in doesn't happen all the time and is a call I'd expect to get in pretty much any situation.

And a forearm shiver from out of bounds is also never called, as it's never happened before. :)

That was the official stance from the NBA. And honestly, you see forearm shivers uncalled in games all the time.

Just because a foot on the line isn't called doesn't mean it's not a violation. Being sneakier about a violation doesn't make it less of a violation.

vick
05-03-2016, 04:09 PM

It would take some impressive chutzpah to complain too much about not getting a foul called when you got away with a violation (on Ginobili) and two simultaneous fouls (on Mills and Leonard) at the same time (http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/L2M-OKC-SAS-5-2-16.pdf).

elvis14
05-03-2016, 04:09 PM
And a forearm shiver from out of bounds is also never called, as it's never happened before. :)

That was the official stance from the NBA. And honestly, you see forearm shivers uncalled in games all the time.

Just because a foot on the line isn't called doesn't mean it's not a violation. Being sneakier about a violation doesn't make it less of a violation.

Note, I'm not saying that it shouldn't be called. I'm actually not a big fan of the whole "swallow the whistle and let the players cheat" deal at the end of games. And, yes there are lots of forearms used during a game, usually in the paint. But to hit a guy from out of bounds while holding the ball to make room for your pass....I've not seen that either but I'm surprised that wasn't called. And that doesn't even begin to discuss the other shenanigans that went on once the ball as inbounded.

elvis14
05-03-2016, 04:14 PM
It would take some impressive chutzpah to complain too much about not getting a foul called when you got away with a violation (on Ginobili) and two simultaneous fouls (on Mills and Leonard) at the same time (http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/L2M-OKC-SAS-5-2-16.pdf).

I agree. Note that I'm not complaining myself. But off the ball calls (like Mills and Leonard holding, which they did do) are much less obvious. The whole play was a disaster. I mean the feet out of bounds on Manu, the forearm, the jersey holding, Mills grabbing Adams, Cheater Green fouling on the catch, a FAN grabbing and holding onto Adams, an airball, the no call for LeMarcus....and that's off the top of my head. If I read more of that link you sent I bet there's more!

FerryFor50
05-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Oh then there's this:

http://thunder.247sports.com/Bolt/Spurs-fan-grabs-Steven-Adams-arm-during-final-seconds-of-Game-2-45154775

kAzE
05-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah, apparently there were "5 incorrectly missed calls in the final 13.5 seconds" of game 2. The refs screwed that up pretty bad.

In the end, I think the correct team won, but as much as I love Westbrook and Durant, those 2 guys need to stop it with the atrocious hero ball stuff in the 4th quarter. If Westbrook could ever figure out that he's literally the worst 3 point shooter of all time who has shot more than 1400 threes in his career, he'd be SO much more efficient.

dukelifer
05-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Well to be fair- the Hornets had the same regular season record as the Heat. I think the Heat could seriously test the Cavs. I do not think Lebron is bad by any means- but his jump shooting lately is not up to his standards. I think that will be an issue moving forward unless he finds a way to regain his stroke.

SilkyJ
05-03-2016, 06:41 PM

Yeah, apparently there were "5 incorrectly missed calls in the final 13.5 seconds" of game 2. The refs screwed that up pretty bad.

In the end, I think the correct team won, but as much as I love Westbrook and Durant, those 2 guys need to stop it with the atrocious hero ball stuff in the 4th quarter. If Westbrook could ever figure out that he's literally the worst 3 point shooter of all time who has shot more than 1400 threes in his career, he'd be SO much more efficient.

Its worse than that. His arms were also over the line the entire time, which is illegal, and he actually makes contact with Waiters' arm while he's holding the ball. If someone did that to me while I was trying to inbound I'd shove them off me as well.

Referees' tendency to swallow the whistle late in games and not call things that are in the rules for some arbitrary reason is ridiculous to me. That's why there's a rule book. Its black and white. Maybe I play too much golf where the rules are straightforward and there is minimal gray area, but Ginobli was clearly in violation the entire inbounds play and that call NEVER gets called. But its against the rules. If I constantly grounded my club in the bunker would that be OK b/c it doesn't really affect anything? No, it'd be a penalty b/c the rules said so. I just don't get it.

jv001
05-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Its worse than that. His arms were also over the line the entire time, which is illegal, and he actually makes contact with Waiters' arm while he's holding the ball. If someone did that to me while I was trying to inbound I'd shove them off me as well.

Referees' tendency to swallow the whistle late in games and not call things that are in the rules for some arbitrary reason is ridiculous to me. That's why there's a rule book. Its black and white. Maybe I play too much golf where the rules are straightforward and there is minimal gray area, but Ginobli was clearly in violation the entire inbounds play and that call NEVER gets called. But its against the rules. If I constantly grounded my club in the bunker would that be OK b/c it doesn't really affect anything? No, it'd be a penalty b/c the rules said so. I just don't get it.

Silky, you should play with some of my golfing buddies. One day we were playing this real nice golf course and all of a sudden I see sand flying out of one of the bunkers. My buddy wasn't trying to hit the ball out of the bunker, he was practicing his swing in the bunker. Bad thing about it, he knows the rules and still breaks them. Then he'll turn in a score at the end of play that he couldn't shoot if we let him play from the ladies tees. :cool: GoDuke!

Indoor66
05-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Silky, you should play with some of my golfing buddies. One day we were playing this real nice golf course and all of a sudden I see sand flying out of one of the bunkers. My buddy wasn't trying to hit the ball out of the bunker, he was practicing his swing in the bunker. Bad thing about it, he knows the rules and still breaks them. Then he'll turn in a score at the end of play that he couldn't shoot if we let him play from the ladies tees. :cool: GoDuke!

Why play with him?

elvis14
05-03-2016, 08:42 PM

When I first started to play golf, I didn't know the rules of bunker play. So when I hit my ball in a bunker, I go in there and take a bunch of practice swings. Each swing has sand flying all over the place. My good friend was cracking up (he was an experienced golfer). He lost it even more when I said "what's so funny". That's the last time I made that mistake.

To bring this back on topic (kinda), I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that doesn't like the way the refs swallow the whistle at the end of games ('Los says "hi").

dukelifer
05-03-2016, 10:33 PM
Miami just gave away a sure victory. Overtime.

Mabdul Doobakus
05-03-2016, 10:41 PM

So many mistakes from a team that you don't really expect that from. Impressive job coming out steady at the start of OT but need to close out this time.

Troublemaker
05-03-2016, 10:42 PM

Maybe I'm too affected by Steph Curry's long-distance heroics, but I feel like Miami should foul in that situation (up 3) instead of allowing a half-court shot.

In any case, strong response by the Heat in OT so far. Teams that blow leads down the stretch typically crumble in OT.

Mabdul Doobakus
05-03-2016, 10:44 PM
I don't see how you can argue that ball hit the rim, but as a Heat fan, I'm willing to go with it. I guess.

Mabdul Doobakus
05-03-2016, 10:47 PM
I'm really perplexed by that replay call. There is nothing I've seen on the TV replays to suggest with any confidence that the ball touched the rim. They looked at it for several minutes. I'm just waiting for the GIF on Twitter to sell me on this decision.

stingy
05-03-2016, 10:55 PM
The ending of regulation for the Heat v Raptors was eerily similar to Duke-Butler. Miami up 2, at the FT line, 3.3 seconds left. Duke up 2, 3.6 seconds left. Toronto had no timeouts so they could not advance the ball. Whiteside makes the FT to go up 3 but Toronto still can only get off a half court shot. Only unlike Hayward, Lowry hit it. Does it make you feel like Butler wouldn't have gotten a better shot than a half court heave if they had been able to pass it in off a made free throw?

moonpie23
05-03-2016, 10:59 PM
the refs are trying to give this one to the raptors....miami is helping them

update: D- WADDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE

Mabdul Doobakus
05-03-2016, 10:59 PM
The ending of regulation for the Heat v Raptors was eerily similar to Duke-Butler. Miami up 2, at the FT line, 3.3 seconds left. Duke up 2, 3.6 seconds left. Toronto had no timeouts so they could not advance the ball. Whiteside makes the FT to go up 3 but Toronto still can only get off a half court shot. Only unlike Hayward, Lowry hit it. Does it make you feel like Butler wouldn't have gotten a better shot than a half court heave if they had been able to pass it in off a made free throw?

I will say Winslow played awfully lose on Lowry on that play, trying not pick up a foul.

Miami is guilty of that again at the end of overtime here. Valanciunas just walking in for a layup. Why not play defense at the end of the period?

Deng making some really poor inbounds decisions here too.

How many ways is Miami going to try to blow this game?

Mabdul Doobakus
05-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Wade with a huge play to seal the win. That was tougher than it needed to be, but winning Game 1 on the road is obviously good, no matter how it's done.

That weird rim call ended up being a pretty big deal.

stingy
05-03-2016, 11:08 PM
So Miami should have intentionally missed the second free throw and then Whiteside should have bodied up whoever got the rebound. He wouldn't have gotten off as clean a half court shot perhaps. Anyway it was interesting to see the similarity.

Troublemaker
05-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Lillard is so fun to watch. A poor man's Steph.

subzero02
05-04-2016, 12:54 AM
The trailblazers need to try to not let this one slip away. Wins at golden state don't grow on trees.

pfrduke
05-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Blazers went cold at the wrong time. 8 points in the first 10+ minutes of the 4th quarter lets Golden State storm back to a 9 point lead with 1:47 to play. Draymond is just ridiculously good.

subzero02
05-04-2016, 01:11 AM
It's slipped

pfrduke
05-04-2016, 01:15 AM
Just your run-of-the-mill 34-12 4th quarter for the Warriors. Ho hum.

That was a really impressive finish on both ends of the court.

Skitzle
05-04-2016, 01:21 AM
22 point swing in the 4th quarter without the reigning Mvp! Wow, just wow.

subzero02
05-04-2016, 01:25 AM
Plumlee just got his shot blocked again....

sagegrouse
05-04-2016, 07:13 AM

Then make him keep the scores in calculating his handicap -- he should be easy pickins' when it's time to play for money or prizes.

Billy Dat
05-04-2016, 10:18 AM
D- WADDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE

Wade with a huge play to seal the win. That was tougher than it needed to be, but winning Game 1 on the road is obviously good, no matter how it's done.

Between the end of this game and Game 6 of the Charlotte series, D. Wade is reminding everyone how important it is to have a Hall of Famer in both skill and competitiveness on your squad. The dude is a gamer, my goodness. Between the shots, the blocked shots, the leadership and sense of the moment, he is still a serious force to be reckoned with.

This whole "Bosh wants to play but the Heat won't let him" story is really unique. I don't blame the Heat for not wanting to be party to a death of one of their beloved players. I also understand, on some level, Bosh's competitive spirit, but a guy on blood thinners should probably not be in position to take a bruising shot to the head or anywhere else. The NBA Players Association is fighting on his behalf, and despite the fact that he is at odds with the team, he apparently traveled up to Toronto with the Arisons on their plane.

I will say this, the Heat with Bosh would be really tough. Kudos also to Dragic for a few really good games in a row. Heat v Cavs would be fun.

As for Toronto, let's see if they can convince us that they aren't just happy to be in the second round.

Troublemaker
05-04-2016, 11:18 AM
As for Toronto, let's see if they can convince us that they aren't just happy to be in the second round.

It was a disappointing performance from the Raps for sure. Once they got the first-round monkey off their back, I thought they would actually raise their level of play in the second-round since they could play freer.

flyingdutchdevil
05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
It was a disappointing performance from the Raps for sure. Once they got the first-round monkey off their back, I thought they would actually raise their level of play in the second-round since they could play freer.

Happy and cocky Drake makes me angry. I want to see memes of Drake crying after a devastating 5 game loss. Karma is a beautiful thing...

phaedrus
05-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Between the end of this game and Game 6 of the Charlotte series, D. Wade is reminding everyone how important it is to have a Hall of Famer in both skill and competitiveness on your squad. The dude is a gamer, my goodness. Between the shots, the blocked shots, the leadership and sense of the moment, he is still a serious force to be reckoned with.

This whole "Bosh wants to play but the Heat won't let him" story is really unique. I don't blame the Heat for not wanting to be party to a death of one of their beloved players. I also understand, on some level, Bosh's competitive spirit, but a guy on blood thinners should probably not be in position to take a bruising shot to the head or anywhere else. The NBA Players Association is fighting on his behalf, and despite the fact that he is at odds with the team, he apparently traveled up to Toronto with the Arisons on their plane.

I will say this, the Heat with Bosh would be really tough. Kudos also to Dragic for a few really good games in a row. Heat v Cavs would be fun.

This may be well known to others, but here's an interesting tidbit: When Loyola Marymount star Hank Gathers collapsed on the court (later to die at the hospital), he was yards away from the opponent Portland Pirates' point guard: Erik Spoelstra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers#Heart_condition_and_death

Billy Dat
05-04-2016, 01:02 PM
This may be well known to others, but here's an interesting tidbit: When Loyola Marymount star Hank Gathers collapsed on the court (later to die at the hospital), he was yards away from the opponent Portland Pirates' point guard: Erik Spoelstra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers#Heart_condition_and_death

I had heard that but didn't make the connection vis-a-vis the current Bosh situation...great insight! I am sure, aside from all the legal and ethical concerns, that first-person experience plays a role.

Indoor66
05-04-2016, 01:38 PM
I had heard that but didn't make the connection vis-a-vis the current Bosh situation...great insight! I am sure, aside from all the legal and ethical concerns, that first-person experience plays a role.

There is more to life than the NBA playoffs. I would like to believe that the Heat organization, from Micky Arizon down, is most motivated by caring for Bosh's health and well being over basketball.

moonpie23
05-04-2016, 08:43 PM
cavs balling...just tied the record for 3's in a half with 12

update....lebron for 13

moonpie23
05-04-2016, 09:57 PM
update.....new nba playoff game record...22 of 34...

lebron with only 27.......got another qtr to go tho....

Karl Beem
05-04-2016, 10:32 PM
update...new nba playoff game record...22 of 34...

lebron with only 27...got another qtr to go tho...

Kyrie got the 21st and 22nd, Dahntay got the 24th to set the game record.

luburch
05-05-2016, 11:26 AM
The Pacers just fired Vogel. Bad move, Larry Bird. So stupid.

MChambers
05-05-2016, 11:33 AM
Kyrie got the 21st and 22nd, Dahntay got the 24th to set the game record.

The Cavs made more three pointers than two pointers. I wonder if that's ever happened in the NBA?

Ichabod Drain
05-05-2016, 12:29 PM
The Heat announced that they will hold Bosh out the rest of the playoffs. They could have gave the Cavs a good run with him, can't see it happening without him.

rsvman
05-05-2016, 12:44 PM
There is more to life than the NBA playoffs...
Yeah, there's March Madness, too!

Skitzle
05-05-2016, 02:49 PM
The Heat announced that they will hold Bosh out the rest of the playoffs. They could have gave the Cavs a good run with him, can't see it happening without him.

so sad... get well soon Bosh.

JasonEvans
05-05-2016, 05:21 PM
so sad... get well soon Bosh.

Are the Heat trying to take advantage of some insurance situation or something? Bosh seems to really want to play.

Indoor66
05-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Are the Heat trying to take advantage of some insurance situation or something? Bosh seems to really want to play.

In this situation (the playoffs), I have to assume that the decision is medical prudence. Recurring Blood Clots are not something to play around with. I will gladly defer to the heart doc if he wishes to add to the issue (not the diagnosis).

Troublemaker
05-05-2016, 05:45 PM
It also helps the the Heat's decision that they've played much better without Bosh. That's not a knock on his game; Bosh is obviously a very good player. But basketball is weird that sometimes lineups on paper that look average turn out to be much better than you'd think. Since Bosh went down, Miami's gone up-tempo and spread things out and it's really helped guys like Dragic and Deng, who has been awesome as a stretch 4.

devildeac
05-05-2016, 09:13 PM
In this situation (the playoffs), I have to assume that the decision is medical prudence. Recurring Blood Clots are not something to play around with. I will gladly defer to the heart doc if he wishes to add to the issue (not the diagnosis).

I'm not sure of his diagnosis and which blood thinner he's taking, so I'll refrain from commenting except I'll guess it's a liability/injury/bleeding issue. It's somewhat analogous to the cardiomyopathy/dysrhythmia/ICD/competitive sports issue when a player with a known significant cardiac problem, whether it be congestive heart failure, an electrical conduction abnormality or another cardiac disorder, wishes to continue playing a highly competitive sport, with or without a defibrillator, and he gets a "no" from his team/school and a "yes" from 2/4 or 3/5 of the rhythm specialists with whom he consults, what's the next step? Fascinating/challenging question/s and the folks at Duke at a recent meeting I attended about arrhythmias/cardiomyopathies and athletes had no conclusive answers.

cato
05-06-2016, 10:40 AM
I know it must be really difficult for Bosh to sit on the bench, but if there is risk to his health, well:

moonpie23
05-07-2016, 12:55 AM
kyrie flame thrower on the hawks 4th quarter...

dukelifer
05-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Whiteside down with a knee injury. That might be the end of the Heat's chances- now down 2-1.

freshmanjs
05-07-2016, 08:52 PM
DNP for Winslow. Odd.