PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Cook, still a winner

johnb
04-15-2016, 12:35 PM
I may have missed the news, but Quinn was voted by the league coaches as the most valuable rookie of the developmental league. Congrats, Quinn!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241520/Quinn-Cook-Named-D-League-Rookie-Of-The-Year

kAzE
04-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Quinn really turned himself into a knock down three point shooter his senior season at Duke. On the strength of his shooting alone, I believe he may get a chance in the league next year, but it may depend heavily on how well he can check NBA point guards.

wsb3
04-15-2016, 12:58 PM
QC will always be one of my favorites. His attitude with the freshman coming in, especially Ty. Buying in & being a great leader. We as Duke fans would never be able to enjoy the 2015 NC.

MCFinARL
04-15-2016, 01:04 PM
I may have missed the news, but Quinn was voted by the league coaches as the most valuable rookie of the developmental league. Congrats, Quinn!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241520/Quinn-Cook-Named-D-League-Rookie-Of-The-Year

This was mentioned in the thread on the D-League, but I think it is well worth recognition in its own thread.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2016, 01:09 PM
QC will always be one of my favorites. His attitude with the freshman coming in, especially Ty. Buying in & being a great leader. We as Duke fans would never be able to enjoy the 2015 NC.

Brilliant point ... Quinn's acceptance of his move to off guard -- to make room for Tyus -- was a real key to putting the 2015 team together. It set the tone for everything that followed.

That's something to think about going forward. How well do Grayson, Luke, Amile and Matt welcome and blend with Harry, Jayson and Frank (and maybe Marques)? When I was at Duke, we thought our 1968-69 team was going to be great -- we had Dave Golden, Steve Vandenberg and Freddie Lind back off a 22-6 team to team with a great crop of rising sophomores -- Randy Denton, Dick DeVenzio, Brad Evans and Rick Katherman.

But the two groups never got along. They never blended. The team never gelled and finished 15-13 in Bubas' last season.

The contrast between what happened in 2015 and what happened in 1969 will always make me hold my breath when we have to blend a group of very good rookies with a group of established veterans.

Tripping William
04-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Brilliant point ... Quinn's acceptance of his move to off guard -- to make room for Tyus -- was a real key to putting the 2015 team together. It set the tone for everything that followed.

That's something to think about going forward. How well do Grayson, Luke, Amile and Matt welcome and blend with Harry, Jayson and Frank (and maybe Marques)? When I was at Duke, we thought our 1968-69 team was going to be great -- we had Dave Golden, Steve Vandenberg and Freddie Lind back off a 22-6 team to team with a great crop of rising sophomores -- Randy Denton, Dick DeVenzio, Brad Evans and Rick Katherman.

But the two groups never got along. They never blended. The team never gelled and finished 15-13 in Bubas' last season.

The contrast between what happened in 2015 and what happened in 1969 will always make me hold my breath when we have to blend a group of very good rookies with a group of established veterans.

Completely agree. An additional example from down the street: The '94 Heels.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Completely agree. An additional example from down the street: The '94 Heels.

Really good example -- the shouting matches in the locker room are legendary. What an underachieving bunch!

hackysack123
04-15-2016, 03:31 PM
really hope QC gets some NBA looks next year. Could be a solid bench contributor.

Exnicios
04-15-2016, 04:10 PM
really hope QC gets some NBA looks next year. Could be a solid bench contributor.

I (along with all Duke fans) would love to see him in the NBA as well. For a smaller guard like Quinn, I think the trick to catching on in the NBA is showing that he can space the floor (i.e. hit open 3's, particularly from the top of the key), not make mistakes (T.O.s) and defend his position. Anything else is gravy. Comparing Quinn to two recent PG call-ups of note (Seth and Xavier Munford) Quinn looks like he's not too far off statistically (all stats per basketball reference). I didn't include any defensive stats (beyond steal %) because I don't trust Defensive Win Shares or Defensive Box Plus/Minus.

Quinn (15-16): .575 TS%, .382 3P% (on 5.6 attempts/36), AST% 26.2%, TO% 11.9%, STL% 1.7%
Seth (14-15): .640 TS%, .467 3P% (on 8.7 attempts/36), AST% 19.1%, TO% 13.7%, STL% 2.0%
Xavier (15-16): .596 TS%, .412 3P% (on 4.4 attempts/36), AST% 32.2%, TO% 16.0%, STL% 1.5%

So is Quinn close enough to those other guys to warrant a look? It seems pretty clear to me that he does. I think whether he catches on has a lot to do with how he's perceived as a defender, and his ability to show some incremental improvement in his 3 point shooting. Note that both Seth and Xavier shot considerably worse in their first NBADL season than their second...and both shot a lower % than Quinn did in NBADL season 1.

If Quinn can get hot during the Summer League a la Seth last year, even better...but he won't have the narrative that Seth had (famous brother, fighting through the NBADL for 2 years, etc.) Who knows how much that narrative helped Seth, if at all.

moonpie23
04-16-2016, 08:29 AM
the image of QC and his mom when the clock said tripple ought for the natty said it all......was SO happy for the man that gave duke his absolute ALL!!

jv001
04-16-2016, 08:36 AM
the image of QC and his mom when the clock said tripple ought for the natty said it all...was SO happy for the man that gave duke his absolute ALL!!

Moving Quinn to SG was pivotal in Duke winning the 2015 NCAAT and Quinn made the move without complaining or pouting. He took the job and played great. His improvement over his 4 year career should show kids like Jeter and Vrank what hard work can do. GoDuke!

Dean knew!

gurufrisbee
04-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Also his improved defense in 15. Without a doubt, he was the best defender on the team during their tournament run - which is not only saying a lot for a guy whose defense was shaky early in his Duke career, but also because he had incredibly good defensive teammates in Winslow and Amile. But the run of defense he did, especially in the last three games on Pangos, Trice, and Koenig/Gasser was essential to the title run. Any NBA team would be lucky to have a great teammate, a leader, a great defender, and a knock down 3 point shooter off the bench like Cook. I hope he gets his chance.

Edouble
04-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Also his improved defense in 15. Without a doubt, he was the best defender on the team during their tournament run - which is not only saying a lot for a guy whose defense was shaky early in his Duke career, but also because he had incredibly good defensive teammates in Winslow and Amile. But the run of defense he did, especially in the last three games on Pangos, Trice, and Koenig/Gasser was essential to the title run. Any NBA team would be lucky to have a great teammate, a leader, a great defender, and a knock down 3 point shooter off the bench like Cook. I hope he gets his chance.

I have doubts that he was a better defender than Winslow during the title run. Matt Jones says hi too.

Atldukie79
04-16-2016, 07:34 PM

I was 12 during this season and was not aware whether the team blended or not. Was there internal conflict?
While Golden, Vandenberg and Lind were indeed back from a good team, they were not great players. I always thought this was simply a case of 1st year varsity players (sophs) not being ready to step up. Any insights to a back story are welcome.

Pghdukie
04-16-2016, 08:25 PM
I always thought that DeVenzio could hold his own very well. Team chemistry was not that club's Forte tho.

gurufrisbee
04-16-2016, 11:07 PM
I have doubts that he was a better defender than Winslow during the title run. Matt Jones says hi too.

I don't, but that's cool. And Matt Jones can say anything he wants, but he's not even in this conversation. This isn't about reputation - it's about the actual results in those games.

Olympic Fan
04-16-2016, 11:31 PM
I was 12 during this season and was not aware whether the team blended or not. Was there internal conflict?
While Golden, Vandenberg and Lind were indeed back from a good team, they were not great players. I always thought this was simply a case of 1st year varsity players (sophs) not being ready to step up. Any insights to a back story are welcome.

I was there at the time (I was the same class as Denton, DeVenzio, Katherman and company). I was fairly close to the team.

It wasn't the outright hatred and bitterness that divided the '94 UNC team, but there was no connection between the seniors (Golden, Vandenberg and Lind) and the sophomores. They just didn't blend as a team. Neither Golden nor Vandenberg was nearly as effective as the year before -- Lind, on the other hand, was a consistent player (the year before, he was a total non-entity until he came off the bench in the home finale to beat No. 2 UNC).

That should have been a great team with Denton at center, Vandenberg at PF, Katherman at SF, Golden at WG and DeVenzio at PG (with Lind and Evans seeing major minutes off the bench ... maybe even CB Claiborne). But they never came together (except maybe at the end, when they beat No. 2 UNC in the home finale, then beat Virginia and No. 13 South Carolina in the ACC Tournament. They had UNC on the ropes in the ACC championship game, but Charlie Scott went nuts in the second half and singlehandedly saved the Heels).