PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Kobe

slower
04-14-2016, 07:51 AM
Mamba had 60(!) points in his swan song. On 50(!!) shots. Perfect finale for the legend.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Yes, last night simply confirmed Kobe's status in everyone's mind. If you loved him - here's why. If you hated him - there you go too.

I have never seen anything in sports quite like a franchise's entire season dedicated to the departure of a player. Very strange.

Skitzle
04-14-2016, 08:31 AM
Yes, last night simply confirmed Kobe's status in everyone's mind. If you loved him - here's why. If you hated him - there you go too.

I have never seen anything in sports quite like a franchise's entire season dedicated to the departure of a player. Very strange.

You didn't watch Jeter's final year with the Yankees then, or Cal's with the Orioles.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-14-2016, 09:03 AM
You didn't watch Jeter's final year with the Yankees then, or Cal's with the Orioles.

Those teams were competitive, as I recall. Could be wrong.

MCFinARL
04-14-2016, 09:30 AM

So true--well said.

Troublemaker
04-14-2016, 09:41 AM

There weren't too many haters last night. I was following NBA twitter last night during both 73 and 60, and even Kobe's most vicious critics were going nuts for him towards the end of the Lakers game. Most of the guys I follow on twitter are analytical stats-based folks who loathe Kobe's game, but they were all rooting for him HARD to get 50, then hit the game-winner, then to get 60 on free throws.

Last night was a night to turn off your basketball brain and just appreciate a roll-back-the-clock performance from a soon-to-be retiree. This retiree went out on his terms, doing what he does (shoot a lot), and was clutch down the stretch of the game, hitting every shot, to lead a comeback victory for his team. Perfect way for this retiree to go out.

kAzE
04-14-2016, 09:51 AM
I loved every minute of it. Didn't even flip over to the Warriors game. Kobe was the main event last night, and he not only delivered a pretty amazing performance (especially in the 2nd half), they beat a much better Utah team, even without Gobert. It was also just fascinating to hear the crowd's reaction to everything that happened . . . pretty much everyone in the building was rooting for Kobe to get the ball and shoot it. It was A+ television.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-14-2016, 10:01 AM

If your team sucked as badly as the Lakers did this year, you would look for anything you could to make it feel better. So, given a completely "lost" season, why the heck not? And the franchise probably made way more $$ this way than they would have otherwise. And I'm sure the league loved it... filling arenas all year long.

elvis14
04-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Really enjoyed the send off last night. The pre-game and post game speeches, etc. Even if it did take 50 shots, it was pretty cool seeing Kobe go out with 60. I think there are a bunch of people that forget just how good Kobe was in his prime on both ends of the court. He was a beast and matched up with Shaq, they were so good (note, I didn't like Shaq and rooted against them....was often disappointed). I still remember the point at which I was watching a playoff game and realized how good Kobe was and I already knew Shaq was all that. Kobe would just attack and IF he didn't get shot he wanted he'd dump it off to Shaq....good luck stopping those two.

I was switching between the two games (before I fell asleep). Kobe farewell game or not the Warriors are just too much fun not to watch. Curry hit 10 3's. What a great night for basketball fans.

Edouble
04-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Really enjoyed the send off last night. The pre-game and post game speeches, etc. Even if it did take 50 shots, it was pretty cool seeing Kobe go out with 60. I think there are a bunch of people that forget just how good Kobe was in his prime on both ends of the court. He was a beast and matched up with Shaq, they were so good (note, I didn't like Shaq and rooted against them...was often disappointed). I still remember the point at which I was watching a playoff game and realized how good Kobe was and I already knew Shaq was all that. Kobe would just attack and IF he didn't get shot he wanted he'd dump it off to Shaq...good luck stopping those two.

I was switching between the two games (before I fell asleep). Kobe farewell game or not the Warriors are just too much fun not to watch. Curry hit 10 3's. What a great night for basketball fans.

A great night indeed.

My freshman year (1995-96) roommate at Duke, as well as a good friend down the hall (in Southgate) were both from Chicago and huge Bulls fans. We watched practically every Bulls game that season, as they went 72-10! Early next year, in our sophomore year, we all ended up in Trent, and I recall crowding around a TV to watch a Lakers game and being very excited when Kobe went into the game (in his first season) as we all wanted to see what all of the hype was about. I remember thinking that the Lakers might be good in the future because they had Nick Van Excel.

It was fun to think of those memories last night, both of which happened 20 years ago, as I flipped between the Warriors taking the MJ Bulls's record, and Kobe playing his last game.

Edouble
04-14-2016, 11:06 AM

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 again.

Post of the month... perfectly summed up Kobe's career and his night, last night. I relayed this quote to a Kobe fan and a Kobe hater and they both had a good chuckle. I was thinking this same thing, but your wording is so succinct and perfect. Good stuff, Mountain Devil!

kAzE
04-14-2016, 11:10 AM

I disagree that it was strange, this was EXACTLY what the plan for them was. The Kobe farewell tour was exactly the smoke screen they needed to cover up one of the most egregious (but justified) tank jobs in the history of the league. And they STILL might lose their lottery pick to the 76ers if it falls outside of the top 3.

Wander
04-14-2016, 11:12 AM

Yeah, this made the NBA season this year a little less enjoyable for me. Kobe's last game WAS a lot of fun and I enjoyed watching it, but the season-long "here is Kobe's last game against team _____" was way over the top. Are we going to do the same thing for Tim Duncan, who's about as good?

PackMan97
04-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Yeah, this made the NBA season this year a little less enjoyable for me. Kobe's last game WAS a lot of fun and I enjoyed watching it, but the season-long "here is Kobe's last game against team _____" was way over the top. Are we going to do the same thing for Tim Duncan, who's about as good?

Eh, as someone who dislikes Kobe, the attention this last season has made me smile. It was more of a "this is Kobe's last loss against this team". I do love the fact he was originally a Charlotte Hornet. LOL @ trading him for a guy that never wanted to be in Charlotte and left as soon as he could. BRILLIANT move....and yes, this game did highlight exactly what I dislike about Kobe :)

Tim Duncan doesn't need a goodbye tour because he has already passed the torch. He doesn't have the ego that requires the Spurs continue to build around him even in his decline. He simply plays the role the team needs and as a result the Spurs are the model for consistent success. They hire guys who do whatever it takes to get the job done. Sometimes I wish they had the flashy "look at me attitude" but then they'd lose what makes them special.

kAzE
04-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Eh, as someone who dislikes Kobe, the attention this last season has made me smile. It was more of a "this is Kobe's last loss against this team". I do love the fact he was originally a Charlotte Hornet. LOL @ trading him for a guy that never wanted to be in Charlotte and left as soon as he could. BRILLIANT move...and yes, this game did highlight exactly what I dislike about Kobe :)

Tim Duncan doesn't need a goodbye tour because he has already passed the torch. He doesn't have the ego that requires the Spurs continue to build around him even in his decline. He simply plays the role the team needs and as a result the Spurs are the model for consistent success. They hire guys who do whatever it takes to get the job done. Sometimes I wish they had the flashy "look at me attitude" but then they'd lose what makes them special.

I love Kobe, but I could see why some people just can't stand him. Bottom line is, he's as fierce a competitor as anyone who has played the game. You'll never see a guy work harder or play through pain and be 110% invested in every game more than Kobe. Even if you don't like him, you have to respect him.

Another thing that I always appreciated about him: He was never the type of guy who was passive aggressive or fake. If Kobe had an issue, he would tell you straight up to your face, whether you like it or not. He was a real leader or men, a true alpha dog. I'd much prefer that to whatever LeBron is trying to do right now with his cryptic Tweets and generally bad vibes that he's constantly sending to his teammates and fans.

And the last thing that I'll always love about Kobe: basketball was always the most important thing. It wasn't about his "brand" or his business ventures on the side, or his planning out his post playing career. It was always about basketball with him, and that kind of obsessive passion is what drives the great ones to do great things. He's a top 10 player all-time, and the 2nd best shooting guard ever.

SoCalDukeFan
04-14-2016, 11:56 AM
I disagree that it was strange, this was EXACTLY what the plan for them was. The Kobe farewell tour was exactly the smoke screen they needed to cover up one of the most egregious (but justified) tank jobs in the history of the league. And they STILL might lose their lottery pick to the 76ers if it falls outside of the top 3.

Lakers turned their season into a carnival side show, sold lots or merchandise, lots of tickets home and away, and still tanked.

SoCal

gus
04-14-2016, 12:09 PM
So true--well said.

There are plenty of non-basketball reasons to dislike Bryant. Well, one glaring one at least.

stillcrazie
04-14-2016, 12:25 PM
I lived in LA during the 90s and never watched a basketball game in my life until Kobe joined the Lakers (more of a MLB, NFL fan before that). With him and Shaq, it was clear that something special was about to happen. I remember him throwing up airballs during his first playoff series and rocking the baby fro. That team made me fall in love with basketball (cf. Rick Fox, Robert Horry, AC Green, Ron Harper, John Salley, Mark Madsen, etc.). I got to see back to back to back championships and attended a few games at the Staples Center.

I never followed college basketball until I got to Duke in 2003 and was fortunate enough to find myself again in the rarefied air of basketball excellence. Coach K's relentless passion for winning is a lot like Kobe's and as a result of that passion and WINNING, both are polarizing figures. I respect them both. But I will be much, much, much sadder the day Coach K calls it quits. #goduke

Reilly
04-14-2016, 01:16 PM
... He's a top 10 player all-time, and the 2nd best shooting guard ever.

Where do folks think Kobe ranks in terms of all-time greats? Where do folks think Kobe himself would rate himself? Last night, post-game, I believe Hubie Brown said Oscar, Magic, Michael, and Jerry West are the four best guards all time, and maybe Kobe could be said to join that group, but Kobe would not, perhaps, displace anyone in that group to be definite top 4. I think that was the gist of Hubie's comment -- that is, maybe Kobe a smidgen behind those others.

kAzE
04-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Where do folks think Kobe ranks in terms of all-time greats? Where do folks think Kobe himself would rate himself? Last night, post-game, I believe Hubie Brown said Oscar, Magic, Michael, and Jerry West are the four best guards all time, and maybe Kobe could be said to join that group, but Kobe would not, perhaps, displace anyone in that group to be definite top 4. I think that was the gist of Hubie's comment -- that is, maybe Kobe a smidgen behind those others.

I'm sure many would disagree with me, but Kobe ranks ahead of Jerry West and Oscar Robertson for me. Rings aren't everything, but 5 of them speak pretty loudly.

My top 10 right now:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Bill Russell
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Magic Johnson
5. Wilt Chamberlain
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. LeBron James
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Jerry West
(11.) Oscar Robertson

Edouble
04-14-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm sure many would disagree with me, but Kobe ranks ahead of Jerry West and Oscar Robertson for me. Rings aren't everything, but 5 of them speak pretty loudly.

My top 10 right now:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Bill Russell
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Magic Johnson
5. Wilt Chamberlain
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. LeBron James
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Jerry West
(11.) Oscar Robertson
(12.) Muggsy Bogues

FIFY

theschwartz
04-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it was a strange Laker season to say the least. I think it was originally supposed to be about Kobe passing the torch to the Lakers' new generation of talent (Russell, Randle, Clarkson) and watching those guys come into their own as the Lakers competed to get back into the playoffs. But pretty soon, it became clear that the Lakers had no shot of being competitive this year, so it became all about Kobe. It was probably when the 2-14 Lakers got stomped by the 0-18 76ers in December, and the big story out of that game was Kobe's return to Philly and how he felt playing his last game there, rather than the embarrassment of that loss.

From then on, it was just a long, slow march towards this last game and his retirement, amidst the backdrop of a really bad team. It reminded me a little of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's last season (1988-1989)--my first year as a diehard Laker fan--and how he was honored and feted by the opposing team and crowd at every last road game. That, however, came admist the backdrop of a great Laker season that saw them make (but not win) the NBA Finals.

To Kobe's credit, in the postgame press conference, when a reporter asked him if this was the perfect ending to his career, he responded: "The perfect ending would have been a championship. That’s a perfect ending to me. Tonight was trying to go out playing hard and try to put on a show as much as I possibly could. It felt good to be able to do that one last time."

I'm grateful for the 20 years Kobe gave the Lakers - there's 5 extra banners hanging in Staples Center that wouldn't be there without him - but I'm ready for this chapter to end and the next one to be written. Perhaps a chapter that might include Brandon Ingram?

BeachBlueDevil
04-14-2016, 02:36 PM
I'm going to preface this post with a story.

I was a Bulls fan growing up (I didn't care if Jordan went to UNC), so much so in fact that when I played football, I dyed my hair like Rodman (spray in dye). Sure, it was under a helmet but that is beside the point. Hell, I even had Scottie Pippen's show and I believe I had a Kukoc jersey. Now during this time my stepdad was a Laker fan and he used to constantly talk about how Jordan took to many shots, never passed the ball and was a ball hog. Now a few years after Kobe came in and established himself I started giving him the same crap about Kobe jacking up an bunch of shots and when he had an off game shooting wise, I let him have it. This went on and on and my stepdad ended up passing away for brain cancer a few years ago and since that time I haven't bee able to really rip on Laker fans about Kobe being Kobe.

Fast forward to last night..... Kobe puts up 60 on 50 shots with a TERRIBLE showing from beyond the arc. So today I have made sure to interject in every Kobe conversation my vitriol for his performance last night. I didn't find it impressive and it was a Kobe being Kobe game and I was hoping Hood would hang 35 on him.

That all said, Kobe did have a great career and is the lower portion of the top 10 players of all time.

Ichabod Drain
04-14-2016, 02:38 PM

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZ3DhCLpBc

wilson
04-14-2016, 02:44 PM
I am pretty ambivalent about Kobe. I recognize him as a generational talent, but I'm not sure he's on the short list of all-timers (and if he'd played in, say, Milwaukee, there's no chance he'd even sniff that conversation). Along some of the lines of the current '96 Bulls/'16 Warriors conversation, I think Kobe's game is more reflective of an earlier era. His isolation-heavy, extremely high-usage style of play is reminiscent of the superstar-driven play of the early to mid '90s, which centered around the Bird/Jordan/Ewing generation of stars, but today's NBA (at least among its best teams) prizes ball movement, team play, and finding a good shot irrespective of who takes it.
I can't help but think that Magic Johnson, with his extremely versatile play and outstanding all-around floor game, was a player for today who happened to play in the '80s and '90s, while Kobe is more of a player for the '80s and '90s who happened to play in this latest era, when NBA basketball has undergone a significant evolution.

kAzE
04-14-2016, 02:45 PM
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZ3DhCLpBc

"He's sending inappropriate ravens"

LOL

Li_Duke
04-14-2016, 03:02 PM

I agree with the earlier commenters. Kobe was, at best, bottom top 10. At worst, he's top 20 (advanced stats didn't like him as much). He's definitely one of the top 5 superstars of his generation (along with Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, and Dirk), and among the three most popular (along with Shaq and Iverson). I'm pretty sure Kobe considers himself top 5 all-time, though.