PDA

View Full Version : ACC Early Entries, Summer o' '16

OldPhiKap
04-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Did not see a thread on this, apologize if one is started and has slid down.

Per Jeff Goodwin, Justin Jackson is putting his name in for the draft but has not hired an agent. That would be a big hit for Roy to take if he goes I think.

Cat Barber gone from State, no surprise (thanks to whomever it was that gave me a link to that in another thread).

Who else from the ACC is testing the waters or plunging in? Besides Brandon, of course.

slower
04-14-2016, 07:46 AM
Did not see a thread on this, apologize if one is started and has slid down.

Per Jeff Goodwin, Justin Jackson is putting his name in for the draft but has not hired an agent. That would be a big hit for Roy to take if he goes I think.

Cat Barber gone from State, no surprise (thanks to whomever it was that gave me a link to that in another thread).

Who else from the ACC is testing the waters or plunging in? Besides Brandon, of course.

Front page of The Daily Tar Hole (they have a stand outside my office) mentions Jackson today. Let the gnashing of teeth begin in Hole-ville.

gurufrisbee
04-14-2016, 08:27 AM
I kept saying I thought Jackson would go. To me, he has the biggest NBA upside of anyone on that roster. With the looming NCAA penalties as a threat and the rumors of Roy possibly being gone and Paige and Baby Brice run out of eligibility, it seems very clear that their window of opportunity has closed and the water is about to start getting very rough. With that in mind, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to bail out and start getting paid to play basketball and not go to class, instead of doing it for free.

There is a Florida State (Beasley) kid who is going. Did Rathan Mayes also declare? And Blossomgame from Clemson. ANd I thought Abu and Cat both declared from State. I think the other one I heard was Onauku from Hookerville. Not sure.

sagegrouse
04-14-2016, 08:43 AM
I kept saying I thought Jackson would go. To me, he has the biggest NBA upside of anyone on that roster. With the looming NCAA penalties as a threat and the rumors of Roy possibly being gone and Paige and Baby Brice run out of eligibility, it seems very clear that their window of opportunity has closed and the water is about to start getting very rough. With that in mind, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to bail out and start getting paid to play basketball and not go to class, instead of doing it for free.

There is a Florida State (Beasley) kid who is going. Did Rathan Mayes also declare? And Blossomgame from Clemson. ANd I thought Abu and Cat both declared from State. I think the other one I heard was Onauku from Hookerville. Not sure.

As far as I can tell, underclassmen in the ACC who have declared are

Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Demetrius Jackson, JR, PG - Notre Dame

"Testing the waters" seems to include at least:
Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Beasley, Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

I dunno, guys and gals, but it seems shorter than usual. Of course, last year Duke alone had three freshmen declare.

gurufrisbee
04-14-2016, 08:52 AM
I dunno, guys and gals, but it seems shorter than usual. Of course, last year Duke alone had three freshmen declare.

Nice list. Thanks.

Does seem kind of short, but it also seems like we had a lot of top talent in the conference this year as seniors so maybe that's part of it.

OldPhiKap
04-14-2016, 09:00 AM

If the new NOA comes out in the next few weeks or month as hinted, that may play a role too. Not sure when someone has to put their name in; I think they have until miid-to-late May to pull their name out under the new rule as long as they don't have an agent.

Roy stated that he thought more than one of his players might test the water -- I assume that must mean Berry II and/or Meeks. Hicks, Pinson and Britt much less likely I would guess.

MCFinARL
04-14-2016, 09:08 AM
If the new NOA comes out in the next few weeks or month as hinted, that may play a role too. Not sure when someone has to put their name in; I think they have until miid-to-late May to pull their name out under the new rule as long as they don't have an agent.

Roy stated that he thought more than one of his players might test the water -- I assume that must mean Berry II and/or Meeks. Hicks, Pinson and Britt much less likely I would guess.

Yes, they have until 10 days after the combine, or May 25, to pull their names out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NBA_draft

JasonEvans
04-14-2016, 09:49 AM
The big decisions are Beasley and Onuaku.

The fact that Bacon chose to come back to FSU was a big deal. If Beasley also returns, then FSU will be loaded. Don't forget that they add combo forward Jonathan Issac, who is one of the top 10-15 players in the loaded freshman class. Beasley's decision could vault FSU into the top 20.

Onuaku is such an important player for Louisville. He's arguably the best rim protector in the land and a fierce offensive rebounder. If he comes back, Louisville is likely a top 10 team next year. Without him, there is a glaring hole in the middle of their defense.

As for Jackson, if he opts to stay in the draft, I think it just opens up more opportunities for Hicks and Pinson and, frankly, I'm not sure there is all that much of a difference in those three guys. Jackson is a more versatile player, but I think Hicks is a better scorer and Pinson the better defender.

-Jason "of course, whether Onuaku comes back or not, Louisville may again be dealing with NCAA sanctions next season -- those hookers are the gift that keeps on giving" Evans

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-14-2016, 10:05 AM

Wouldn't put it past those scumbags to try to delay release of the NOA for as long as possible in the hopes of keeping up their b.s. line about basketball not being named and keeping as many guys as possible from leaving.

sammy3469
04-14-2016, 10:16 AM

The fact that Bacon chose to come back to FSU was a big deal. If Beasley also returns, then FSU will be loaded. Don't forget that they add combo forward Jonathan Issac, who is one of the top 10-15 players in the loaded freshman class. Beasley's decision could vault FSU into the top 20.

Onuaku is such an important player for Louisville. He's arguably the best rim protector in the land and a fierce offensive rebounder. If he comes back, Louisville is likely a top 10 team next year. Without him, there is a glaring hole in the middle of their defense.

As for Jackson, if he opts to stay in the draft, I think it just opens up more opportunities for Hicks and Pinson and, frankly, I'm not sure there is all that much of a difference in those three guys. Jackson is a more versatile player, but I think Hicks is a better scorer and Pinson the better defender.

-Jason "of course, whether Onuaku comes back or not, Louisville may again be dealing with NCAA sanctions next season -- those hookers are the gift that keeps on giving" Evans

I believe Beasley signed with an agent.

Rathan-Mayes is the third Seminole to declare for the draft since the season ended last month. Freshman guard Malik Beasley declared and signed with an agent, ending his college career after one season.

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210867711

tbyers11
04-14-2016, 10:19 AM

Beasley is gone (http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32900&ATCLID=210822130). Not coming back. Hired an agent according to the Draft Express list (http://www.draftexpress.com/2015-NBA-Draft-Early-Entry-List.php)

Agree with you that Onuaku's decision greatly affects the strength of UL next year.

I think Jackson is more important to UNC than you do. I think Pinson could slot in for him at SF, but I don't think Pinson is remotely as good of an offensive player as Jackson at this point. However, I don't think Jackson and Hicks overlap much. Hicks is going to be the PF Brice Johnson role.

Troublemaker
04-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Malachi Richardson (http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2016/04/malachi_richardson_takes_to_twitter_with_message_f or_fans.html) is mulling it over. His decision will be huge for Syracuse.

Malachi Richardson's future with the Syracuse University basketball team is the subject of much speculation and the Orange freshman took to social media to let us know he's frustrated about it.

In a post on Twitter (https://twitter.com/KingMali23/status/717118093860933633), Richardson said he wished people would stop expressing to him what he should or shouldn't do in the future.

KingMali‏@KingMali23 (https://twitter.com/KingMali23)

I really wish ppl would stop commenting what they want or think I should do! ITS NOT ABOUT YOU ! it's about ME! I will do what's best for me

Spanarkel
04-14-2016, 10:38 AM

Players have until 4/24 to declare their intentions to pursue the draft(w/ or w/o an agent): sorry if this has been mentioned previously.

Henderson
04-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State

Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Beasley, Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

The list is only shorter because Luke Maye isn't on the list.

It's weird to me. The UNC-CH fans were so solid on this guy last summer. "Awsom recrute. Roy pulled a coupe in getting him." Etc.

My sources there told me last year that Maye would squash Brandon Ingram like a bug.

So why isn't Luke Maye declaring for the NBA? Little help?

luburch
04-14-2016, 11:28 AM

It's weird to me. The UNC-CH fans were so solid on this guy last summer. "Awsom recrute. Roy pulled a coupe in getting him." Etc.

My sources there told me last year that Maye would squash Brandon Ingram like a bug.

Because some schools still value education and getting a four year degree.

*Spits drink out from laughing at the thought*

OldPhiKap
04-14-2016, 11:37 AM

Roy believes in slow and steady progress. No reason to develop someone too quickly; that's why bananas go bad after all.

gurufrisbee
04-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Agree with you that Onuaku's decision greatly affects the strength of UL next year.

I think Jackson is more important to UNC than you do. I think Pinson could slot in for him at SF, but I don't think Pinson is remotely as good of an offensive player as Jackson at this point. However, I don't think Jackson and Hicks overlap much. Hicks is going to be the PF Brice Johnson role.

I think LVille is being pretty overrated for next year already, but if the lose Onuaku I think they drop a lot.

And I agree about Jackson. He's vital to them next year. He's their best returning player. Pinson isn't anywhere close.

sagegrouse
04-14-2016, 01:00 PM
I think LVille is being pretty overrated for next year already, but if the lose Onuaku I think they drop a lot.

And I agree about Jackson. He's vital to them next year. He's their best returning player. Pinson isn't anywhere close.

You're absolutely right, Gurufrisbee. But when I think of Louisville next year, I think of huge NCAA sanctions. I mean, a basketball official has admitted carrying out criminal activities -- not just NCAA violations -- as part of the recruiting process. I suppose Louisville's defense is that Andre McGee did it on his own and no one else knew. Well, the guy didn't have two dimes to rub together, so the money had to come from some place. Good luck, Pitino!

Olympic Fan
04-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Sanctions aside, I totally disagree about Louisville -- I think they are going to be very good ... easily our strongest competition in the ACC.

Obviously Onuaku's decision is significant, but even if he does leave, they get Mangok Mathiang back from injury -- he alternated with Onuaku and had nearly identical stats in 2014-15.

Plus, I love the potential of Anas Mahmoud the 6-10 kid from Australia. A very long and agile big man. Stockman is not a stud or anything, but he's 7-foot, 250 pounds and a useful backup. They will not be hurting in the post with or without Onuaku.

They are loaded with talented young kids -- guard Donovan Mitchell, forwards Ray Spalding (a thug, but a talented player), Deng Adel (hurt most of last year), Jay Johnson. They have a proven point guard in Quentin Snider (not great, but not bad). They bring in a top small forward in V.J. King, plus a nice shooting grad transfer from Penn. They also add four-star shooting guard Ryan McMahon, a 2015 recruit who missed last year with an injury.

Pitino is going to have a deep and talented lineup -- with or without Onuaku.

OldPhiKap
04-14-2016, 01:55 PM
Pitino is going to have a deep and talented lineup -- with or without Onuaku.

Assuming Pitino does not decide that it's time to jump town when an NBA opening comes in the next few weeks.

But I think the 'ville is gonna be strong next year.

dukelifer
04-14-2016, 02:43 PM

My guess is that they were confusing Luke Maye with Luke May who is Patrick Davidson's cousin- now that guy can play ball and the NBA has ruled him and Patrick ineligible to play due to safety reasons for the other players.

BD80
04-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Assuming Pitino does not decide that it's time to jump town when an NBA opening comes in the next few weeks.

Luhville could then bring in Tubby!

elvis14
04-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Because some schools still value education and getting a four year degree.

*Spits drink out from laughing at the thought*

Roy believes in slow and steady progress. No reason to develop someone too quickly; that's why bananas go bad after all.

I know you guys are joking but yesterday for entertainment purposes, I read some IC (wanted to see if the Jackson rumors were true). They truly believe that Roy purposely recruits players that will be there longer, etc. They seem oblivious to the fact that they have recruited as hard as they can to get top level players to UNC (including players that are 100% one and done like Ingram) but have just plain failed. They are also obsessed with all things Duke and Coach K. It's pitiful the things they say about Coach K. I actually hate it when UNC-based threads show up on DBR (except the current scandal thread) because I don't want to be like IC (or Mike).

To bring this back on topic, on one hand I hope Jackson goes pro to make the Cheaters weaker next year. On the other hand, I hope Jackson stays at UNC because part of their recruiting problem is the (valid) perception that UNC doesn't do a good job of getting good players to NBA.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2016, 11:49 AM
On the other hand, I hope Jackson stays at UNC because part of their recruiting problem is the (valid) perception that UNC doesn't do a good job of getting good players to NBA.

There's always the option of a second round draft choice; getting cut; and then playing in the D league.

Indoor66
04-15-2016, 01:15 PM
There's always the option of a second round draft choice; getting cut; and then playing in the D league.

J.P. - did you hear the phone?

elvis14
04-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Excellent point, I like that option as well. I might even like that option best of all.

Furniture
04-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Justin Jackson is testing the waters by declaring but not hiring an agent....

jipops
04-16-2016, 01:36 PM

I think Hicks and Jackson are unc's two best nba prospects. Better even than Johnson and Paige and way better than anyone else on the current roster at this point.

Jackson's length at small forward and his improving shooting should make him very attractive. Hicks is very athletic with skill around the basket. I'm actually kind of surprised he isn't testing it out.

Troublemaker
04-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Jackson's length at small forward and his improving shooting should make him very attractive.

6'8" with a 6'10" wingspan (a +2 wingspan) (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Jackson-7083/) really isn't that long for a SF, and his shooting stats got worse at all 3 levels (3-pt, 2-pt, FT) last season.

Hicks is very athletic with skill around the basket. I'm actually kind of surprised he isn't testing it out.

6'9" 235-lb without perimeter skills isn't going to be that attractive to NBA scouts.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-16-2016, 04:19 PM
6'8" with a 6'10" wingspan (a +2 wingspan) (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Jackson-7083/) really isn't that long for a SF, and his shooting stats got worse at all 3 levels (3-pt, 2-pt, FT) last season.

6'9" 235-lb without perimeter skills isn't going to be that attractive to NBA scouts.

I'm sure Jackson is being looked at for potential as an NBA 2g and wing with his ball handling and defensive quickness/reach at 6'8". He's gone if they are convinced he can, or will, be able to score and shoot at that level.

Hick's game is maturing late. He has to work on ball handling and shooting, but he has the physical tools to play in the NBA.

Brice Johnson proved his shooting touch and rebounding in '16. His issues were he had to improve his motor and get better at seeing the floor and understanding game pace, all of which he did as a Sr.

I think Paige is going to get a serious look, probably 2nd round. He'll need the right situation to stick.

I would not be surprised if Brice has slipped into a late lottery selection.

jgehtland
04-16-2016, 04:29 PM
It will not shock me in the slightest if Paige ends up having the better NBA career between he and Johnson. I think his combination of heady play and heart will be worth a lot to the right team.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-16-2016, 04:33 PM
It will not shock me in the slightest if Paige ends up having the better NBA career between he and Johnson. I think his combination of heady play and heart will be worth a lot to the right team.

I like Paige a lot as a player and a human being, but I will be pleasantly surprised if he is on an NBA roster three seasons from now.

Simply not athletic enough.

gumbomoop
04-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm sure Jackson is being looked at for potential as an NBA 2g and wing with his ball handling and defensive quickness/reach at 6'8". He's gone if they are convinced he can, or will, be able to score and shoot at that level.

Do you mean, if several teams are convinced and so assure him he'll go in the first round? He wouldn't go, would he, unless either (a) he receives such assurance, or (b) Heels receive postseason ban for 2017?

Henderson
04-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Hick's game is maturing late.

Interesting that ALL of Roy's players seem to have games that "mature late".

The trick is to get them to mature at all under Roy. Or get them to mature before they start committing crimes.

Kedsy
04-16-2016, 05:49 PM

I'm surprised at those measurements. He looks really long. I agree with Wheat, though, that Jackson's path to the NBA is convincing teams he can play SG.

I think Paige is going to get a serious look, probably 2nd round. He'll need the right situation to stick.

Paige is a classic tweener. I think he has a shot to go late 2nd round (though it's not a gimme), and agree the right situation is critical for him to make a roster.

Brice Johnson proved his shooting touch and rebounding in '16. His issues were he had to improve his motor and get better at seeing the floor and understanding game pace, all of which he did as a Sr.

I would not be surprised if Brice has slipped into a late lottery selection.

Johnson seems to be a bit of a tweener, too. at 6'9, 230, with not much game outside of a few feet, he's a little small for an NBA PF. Personally, I think he'll be fortunate to be chosen late in the first round, more likely early in the second. If he goes late lottery, I think that would be a surprise.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Interesting that ALL of Roy's players seem to have games that "mature late".

The trick is to get them to mature at all under Roy. Or get them to mature before they start committing crimes.

Roy is very good at developing players, always has been.

He's also very good at spotting the potential in players and getting them to put in the work on their bodies and skill set.

One needs to look no further than the improvement of Brice Johnson over the past four years under Roy as the most recent, glaring example.

In the UNC system he has not been asked to shoot past the elbow, but looking at his shot and touch, and the discipline he learned at UNC to take good, balanced shots, I think he can easily extend his shooting range for the NBA.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-16-2016, 07:02 PM
Do you mean, if several teams are convinced and so assure him he'll go in the first round? He wouldn't go, would he, unless either (a) he receives such assurance, or (b) Heels receive postseason ban for 2017?

First round guarantee and Johnson is gone, otherwise, I think he returns for one more season and takes a greater offensive role.

I also think Paige has the toughness and game to play in the NBA, but it's not a sure thing. He'll have to prove he can shoot it and defend at that level in the camps.

jimsumner
04-16-2016, 07:13 PM
First round guarantee and Johnson is gone, otherwise, I think he returns for one more season and takes a greater offensive role.

I also think Paige has the toughness and game to play in the NBA, but it's not a sure thing. He'll have to prove he can shoot it and defend at that level in the camps.

Well, if Roy can get one more year out of Johnson, then my hat is off to him. :)

Wheat/"/"/"
04-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Well, if Roy can get one more year out of Johnson, then my hat is off to him. :)

Oops...Jackson.

It would be nice to have Brice one more year t UNC. :)

jimsumner
04-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Oops...Jackson.

For awhile the Duke women had a Jackson, a Johnson and a Jones. And a Williams on the side.

Somehow they missed having a Smith.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-16-2016, 08:59 PM
For awhile the Duke women had a Jackson, a Johnson and a Jones. And a Williams on the side.

Recruiting is never perfect.

BD80
04-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Oops...Jackson.

Just think of how many more classes Brice could take ...

DU82
04-16-2016, 10:24 PM

Too bad Brooke didn't redshirt for a few years (and, of course, didn't transfer.)

gofurman
04-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Back on topic: ACC players declaring and 'testing'.. is this list right now?? I am also listing transfers too - a FULL list of player 'losses' if you will.

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Both Martin twins - Fs at NC State

Who am I missing??

Olympic Fan
04-16-2016, 11:19 PM
Back on topic: ACC players declaring and 'testing'.. is this list right now?? I am also listing transfers too - a FULL list of player 'losses' if you will.

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke

Who am I missing??

A bunch of other transfers. Most are inconsequential. The most significant is probably:

G Jalen Hudson, Va Tech

Also:
F Satchel Pierce, Va Tech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU
C Andre Washington, Wake Forest
PG Kaleb Joseph, Syracuse
G -- Rondale Watson, Wake Forest
G Matt Milon, Boston College

There is also Wake Forest G Cornelius Hudson, who was dismissed from the Deacs with about a week to go in the season if you want to count him.

I may be missing a few ...

ricks68
04-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Oops...Jackson.

You can call me John. You can call me Johnny. You can call me John - John. You can even call me Jackson. But don't you ever call me Johnson.😆😆

ricks

Indoor66
04-17-2016, 07:26 AM
You can call me John. You can call me Johnny. You can call me John - John. You can even call me Jackson. But don't you ever call me Johnson.😆😆

ricks

Or BIG? :cool:

OldPhiKap
04-17-2016, 08:04 AM
You can call me John. You can call me Johnny. You can call me John - John. You can even call me Jackson. But don't you ever call me Johnson.����

ricks

Do you sorta kinda look like Leon Redbone?

Hey, I'm Boog Powell!

gofurman
04-17-2016, 11:51 AM

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
EDIT. Add Jalen Hudsin VTech

Who am I missing??

Henderson
04-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Every year at this time, I declare myself eligible for the NBA draft. I have 4 years of eligibility left. Silly you think? Oh no.

Hear me out.

I never hire an agent. That's important. It's also efficient, because none returns my phone calls.

The likelihood of my being drafted is small, fair that. The likelihood of my being accidentally being picked up by a foreign team is remote too but less remote than the NBA thing. So you can say there's little chance, but you can't say there is zero chance.

And what if I do get drafted? All I paid was the price of the stamp.

Remember: Early Entry isn't about age; It's about years of eligibility remaining. In today's basketball, experience matters.

Olympic Fan
04-17-2016, 12:43 PM

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
EDIT. Add Jalen Hudsin VTech

Who am I missing??

As I posted before, you are missing:

G Robbie Berwick, FSU
G Rondale Watson, Wake Forest

subzero02
04-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Every year at this time, I declare myself eligible for the NBA draft. I have 4 years of eligibility left. Silly you think? Oh no.

Hear me out.

I never hire an agent. That's important. It's also efficient, because none returns my phone calls.

The likelihood of my being drafted is small, fair that. The likelihood of my being accidentally being picked up by a foreign team is remote too but less remote than the NBA thing. So you can say there's little chance, but you can't say there is zero chance.

Remember: Early Entry isn't about age; It's about years of eligibility remaining. In today's basketball, experience matters.

Isn't it a little early to be drinking on Sunday?

NSDukeFan
04-17-2016, 08:34 PM
A bunch of other transfers. Most are inconsequential. The most significant is probably:

G Jalen Hudson, Va Tech

Also:
G Robbie Berwick, FSU
G -- Rondale Watson, Wake Forest

There is also Wake Forest G Cornelius Hudson, who was dismissed from the Deacs with about a week to go in the season if you want to count him.

I may be missing a few ...

Could Kaleb Joseph be significant? He was reasonably highly rated coming out of high school or was that a mirage?

Newton_14
04-17-2016, 10:13 PM
Or BIG? :cool:

Or Sweaty...

He's a legend. :D

luburch
04-18-2016, 07:05 AM

Hear me out.

That method very much reminds me of this: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2005-05-15-student-nba-draft_x.htm

CDu
04-18-2016, 07:32 AM

Hear me out.

I hate to burst your bubble on this, but if (a) you attended college and (b) that attendance began 5 of more years ago, then you have no eligibility left. Unless of course you had multiple serious injuries or went on a mission. But once you start college, your eligibility clock starts ticking, and you have just five years available to play. Sadly, despite never playing a second of collegiate athletics, my eligibility expired 10 years ago.

flyingdutchdevil
04-18-2016, 08:17 AM
I hate to burst your bubble on this, but if (a) you attended college and (b) that attendance began 5 of more years ago, then you have no eligibility left. Unless of course you had multiple serious injuries or went on a mission. But once you start college, your eligibility clock starts ticking, and you have just five years available to play. Sadly, despite never playing a second of collegiate athletics, my eligibility expired 10 years ago.

Thanks for being a Debbie Downer. I was looking forward to Henderson being drafted in the second round by the 76ers. With a basketball name like Henderson, I'm sure the 76ers would have drafted him.

sagegrouse
04-18-2016, 08:25 AM
To add to the Front Page article on Wake's grad student transfer, 6-6 Austin Arians averaged 31 minutes, 11.4 points and 3.8 rebounds for the 20-13 Univ. of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. This is getting lost in the Howard-Beale style rant by departing UMW announcer, Bill Johnson, excerpted here:

.... Before the decision is made for me, I am officially announcing my retirement as the voice of Milwaukee Panthers Men's basketball.

I would say it's taking the last life boat off the Titanic, but that would be unfair to the crew of the Titanic.

Never have so many competent, talented people been run off by such a talentless group of entitled bureaucrats. No matter how much the coaches, players, and support staff care, they can't overcome incompetent administrators. UWM leads the world in incompetent administrators.

I criticize awful athletic directors like Koonce, Costello, Geiger, and Braun. It's not their fault. Hell, if they elected me President I'd take the job. If I suck at it, it's not my fault. I'm not qualified to be President.

Should Amanda Braun turn down an AD job just because she's horribly under-qualified? Hell no. She's a bad AD, and a deplorable human being, but those are the cards she's been dealt.

Those in charge of the UW System have failed to hire effective administrators. Failed. F F F F! It has been my pleasure to work with the wonderful players and coaches for 17 seasons.

Finally, best of luck to [new coach] LaVall Jordan, his staff, and the players. As so often happens in the NCAA, it's not your fault. Win and get out quick, because long term is fatal at UWM Athletics. Panther Nation, it has been my pleasure.Cheers!

OldPhiKap
04-18-2016, 09:02 AM
To add to the Front Page article on Wake's grad student transfer, 6-6 Austin Arians averaged 31 minutes, 11.4 points and 3.8 rebounds for the 20-13 Univ. of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. This is getting lost in the Howard-Beale style rant by departing UMW announcer, Bill Johnson, excerpted here:

Note to Bill Johnson: drunk posting feels good when you do it, but it's a bad idea from the morning on. Trust me on this one.

Olympic Fan
04-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Could Kaleb Joseph be significant? He was reasonably highly rated coming out of high school or was that a mirage?

Joseph was a big-time recruit (top 50) who was projected to come in and replace Tyler Ennis at point guard for the 'Cuse. Actually, the plan was that he would come in and back up Ennis for a year or two, then inherit the job. Ennis spoiled that by going pro after his freshman season. Joseph was thrust into the starting role as a freshman and he was not ready.

He started 30 of 31 games in 2014-15, averaging 5.9 points and almost four assists (and almost three turnovers) a game. He shot 37.9 from the floor and an awful 20.0 from the 3-point line.

That wouldn't have been so bad, except he didn't improve. In fact, he almost never got off the bench last season. He scored 16 points in 19 games and was a non-factor.

So, yes, at one point Joseph was a significant player for Syracuse. But at this point -- with their scholarship limitations -- his departure probably helps them open space for somebody who might help them.

Olympic Fan
04-18-2016, 02:56 PM
FWIW, it was just announced that Joseph will transfer to Creighton:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15229365/syracuse-orange-kaleb-joseph-transferring-creighton-bluejays

Interesting that the headline on the ESPN story calls Joseph a "Syracuse starter". The story gets it right, saying that he started in 2015. They suggest his "playing time diminished in 2016" -- when in fact, it was almost non-existent from the start.

CDu
04-18-2016, 03:10 PM
FWIW, it was just announced that Joseph will transfer to Creighton:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15229365/syracuse-orange-kaleb-joseph-transferring-creighton-bluejays

Interesting that the headline on the ESPN story calls Joseph a "Syracuse starter". The story gets it right, saying that he started in 2015. They suggest his "playing time diminished in 2016" -- when in fact, it was almost non-existent from the start.

That is a much better fit for Joseph. He was clearly overmatched in the ACC. Taking a step down to the Big East (Villanova obviously excluded) will help him.

flyingdutchdevil
04-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Malachi Richardson entering draft, won't sign with agent: https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/722142106052128769/photo/1

Along with Grayson Allen, I think Malachi is one of the best returning players next year (if he returns).

gofurman
04-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Note-These are only the ones I see as of some significance. There are others as noted by another poster

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

"Testing the waters" includes at least:
Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC
Malachi Richardson - Syracuse

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech

-jk
04-18-2016, 09:55 PM

Note-These are only the ones I see as of some significance. There are others as noted by another poster

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Abu - State
Beacham - Notre Dame
Rathan-Mayes - FSU
Blossomgame - Clemson
Onuaku - L'ville
Justin Jackson - UNC

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech

I'd say put 'em all in - not just the ones you think are notable. And Oly has helped you there. Hard to say who'll be missed...

G Robbie Berwick, FSU

-jk

sammy3469
04-19-2016, 12:18 PM
FWIW, this is the most complete list of players who have declared for the draft and those that have signed with agents. Players are listed by their draftexpress rank.

http://www.draftexpress.com/2015-NBA-Draft-Early-Entry-List.php

sammy3469
04-22-2016, 04:15 PM
So Meeks and Jackson officially say they are testing the waters without an agent and Berry and Hicks staying in "school".

Olympic Fan
04-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Just to correct the front page story that said Bacon and Beasley at FSU were "testing the waters" and that Xavier Rathan-Mayes had hired an agent.

That's wrong.

Beasley has hired an agent and is gone.

Bacon has announced that he's returning to school for his sophomore year.

Rathan-Mayes is in the draft, but has not yet hired an agent (as of Wednesday night ... when I goggle him to get an update, no firm report that he's hired an agent). I was told by an FSU official not to expect him back at Tallahassee next year.

As for the UNC guys, we did have the curious case of Roy announcing that Joel Berry was coming back and his father responded by telling the News & Observer that they were still looking at their options. But that was back in early April, so I assume he has decided to stay

As for Meek, no way he goes from a basketball POV, but there are reports that he's struggling academically and might have to go pro. Probably not -- how the heck can a UNC basketball player get in academic trouble? But if he stays in the draft, that's probably why.

Doria
04-22-2016, 04:33 PM
As for Meek, no way he goes from a basketball POV, but there are reports that he's struggling academically and might have to go pro. Probably not -- how the heck can a UNC basketball player get in academic trouble? But if he stays in the draft, that's probably why.

I think there's little upside for Meeks in staying around UNC for another year, if he isn't interested in a "degree." I doubt his prospects look any brighter for the NBA next year, and if he wants to see if he can start playing overseas, I don't think it's an irrational decision.

(I think Hicks should have tested the waters, too. I'm kind of surprised that he isn't even doing that.)

Henderson
04-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I think there's little upside for Meeks in staying around UNC for another year, if he isn't interested in a "degree." I doubt his prospects look any brighter for the NBA next year, and if he wants to see if he can start playing overseas, I don't think it's an irrational decision.

(I think Hicks should have tested the waters, too. I'm kind of surprised that he isn't even doing that.)

I agree with you about Hicks. He's the most interesting unknown on that team. Meeks has only another year, and this year his pro prospects probably would mean leaving the U.S. Maybe he doesn't want that. Maybe he really wants a college degree. Maybe he's having a great time being in college and playing for UNC-CH. Life is scary outside the nest.

The one downside to "testing the waters" is that you could get a label you don't want. "Can't do X." Then you have that to overcome the following year.

As a Zen Master once said to my sister about all early-entrants, "This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's."

Olympic Fan
04-22-2016, 05:09 PM
I agree with you about Hicks. He's the most interesting unknown on that team. Meeks has only another year, and this year his pro prospects probably would mean leaving the U.S. Maybe he doesn't want that. Maybe he really wants a college degree. Maybe he's having a great time being in college and playing for UNC-CH. Life is scary outside the nest.

The one downside to "testing the waters" is that you could get a label you don't want. "Can't do X." Then you have that to overcome the following year.

As a Zen Master once said to my sister about all early-entrants, "This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's."

Now you see the genius of Roy Williams.

I talked to several NBA scouts over the course of the season and the one question about UNC that they all had was how in hell could Roy start Meeks ahead of Hicks?

Well, Hicks -- the best pro prospect on the team (other than Johnson), played 18 minutes a game (Meeks got 20).

If Hicks had averaged 25 minutes a game, he'd be headed for the NBA right now. Instead, he's coming back for another year. Yeah, Meeks is flirting with the NBA, but nobody's going to tell him they want to draft him -- and if they did, who would you rather have Hicks or Meeks?

But like James Michael McAdoo in 2012, and Ed Davis in 2009 Roy kept his young star under wraps, which helped keep him in school for an extra year. He tried to do it with Marvin Williams in 2005, but even with Williams coming off the bench, he was just too good to hide. If K would just have been as smart and made Jahlil come off the bench behind Marshall and forced Tyus to be a backup to Quinn at point guard, we could have kept those guys more than one year.

Henderson
04-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Now you see the genius of Roy Williams.

No. I don't.

I don't see Bigfoot. I don't see the tooth faerie. I don't see a second gunman behind the grassy knoll. So I sure as heck don't see that.

But I love a good narrative that has Ol' Roy effing up the futures of his players to prevent them from leaving.

Forrest
04-22-2016, 06:00 PM
If Hicks had averaged 25 minutes a game, he'd be headed for the NBA right now.

If Hicks had averaged 25 minutes a game, he'd have been disqualified 10-15 times. As it was, he fouled out only three times, but ended up with four fouls 16 times, so he was in serious foul trouble in half of UNC's games, including 5 of 6 games in the NCAA tournament. For the season, he averaged 3 fouls a game in, as you pointed out, only 18 minutes. If he's expected to play 30 minutes a game next year, well, you can do the math. And if he is also expected to be on the floor in crunch time in close games, Isaiah will have to show that he can play defense without fouling. He hasn't shown that yet.

sagegrouse
04-22-2016, 06:15 PM
If Hicks had averaged 25 minutes a game, he'd have been disqualified 10-15 times. As it was, he fouled out only three times, but ended up with four fouls 16 times, so he was in serious foul trouble in half of UNC's games, including 5 of 6 games in the NCAA tournament. For the season, he averaged 3 fouls a game in, as you pointed out, only 18 minutes. If he's expected to play 30 minutes a game next year, well, you can do the math. And if he is also expected to be on the floor in crunch time in close games, Isaiah will have to show that he can play defense without fouling. He hasn't shown that yet.

I have read the raves about Hicks, but when I watched the Heels' last three games, I thought he seemed slow and clumsy -- but maybe ND, Syracuse, and Villanova had unusual quickness.

Henderson
04-22-2016, 06:45 PM
[H]ow the heck can a UNC basketball player get in academic trouble?

Oh, let's see....

1. By writing his own papers.

2. By saying, "But I'm not dyslexic". In public.

3. By telling a reporter that he didn't know a double cheeseburger has two of something.

4. By leaving his homework under the seat of The Dude's car.

5. By not knowing that a three point shot is worth more points than a two point shot.

6. By telling a professor that "Boko Haram" ("Western education is forbidden") should be the school motto.

7. By taking any class that involves numbers.

8. By giggling to the accreditation team about how "SACS" reminds him of something else.

9. By not being able to calculate Fat's vig before final exam time.

10. By failing to know that if a school has 5 banners and loses two, that school has fewer than 8 banners left.

awhom111
04-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Was there a second thread for general early entry? Either way, I will post this here since it is more recent.

We finally have the official list in all its glory before everybody withdraws:
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/04/26/early-entry-candidates-2016-draft/index.html

Something less than all of the Kentucky players are on it, which makes me exceedingly annoyed that Calipari's latest publicity stunt got so much coverage.

sagegrouse
04-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Was there a second thread for general early entry? Either way, I will post this here since it is more recent.

We finally have the official list in all its glory before everybody withdraws:
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/04/26/early-entry-candidates-2016-draft/index.html

Something less than all of the Kentucky players are on it, which makes me exceedingly annoyed that Calipari's latest publicity stunt got so much coverage.

A copy and sort yields the following:

Kentucky - 5
UNLV, Washington State - 4
State, Kansas, UConn, LSU, Maryland - 3

Olympic Fan
04-27-2016, 01:30 PM
A copy and sort yields the following:

Kentucky - 5
UNLV, Washington State - 4
State, Kansas, UConn, LSU, Maryland - 3

I thought the biggest surprise reading the list was BeeJay Anya of NC State.

I follow this stuff fairly closely and I don't remember any news that he was testing the waters ... Abu and Barber, yes.

Probably no big deal. I very much doubt that any NBA team will want a tub of lard with bad hands, so I assume he returns.

Olympic Fan
04-30-2016, 04:18 PM
ESPN is reporting that Malachi Richardson as been invited to the NBA pre-draft combine.

Not a lock, but that does increase the chances that he stays in the draft. Richardson is up to No. 20 on Chad Ford's big board ... again, no lock, but looking more and more like he stays in.

I haven't seen any news on any other "test the waters" players ... just the guys who have hired agents (Ingram, Beasley, Barber, Jackson)

SCMatt33
04-30-2016, 04:57 PM
ESPN is reporting that Malachi Richardson as been invited to the NBA pre-draft combine.

Not a lock, but that does increase the chances that he stays in the draft. Richardson is up to No. 20 on Chad Ford's big board ... again, no lock, but looking more and more like he stays in.

I haven't seen any news on any other "test the waters" players ... just the guys who have hired agents (Ingram, Beasley, Barber, Jackson)

According to draft express' Twitter account, Justin Jackson has been invited to combine. My gut still says he ultimately returns, but maybe he'll stay in.

Newton_14
04-30-2016, 08:36 PM

I would love for him to stay in. Dude killed us in Durham with timely 3's!

According to draft express' Twitter account, Justin Jackson has been invited to combine. My gut still says he ultimately returns, but maybe he'll stay in.
Based on all the "logic" everyone uses around here on these matters, Jackson should absolutely stay in. Using all the normal arguments that get tossed out, "He is NBA Ready now body wise", "He will improve much more with the NBA than in Chapel Hill cuz he can focus on basketball all day and not have to worry about school work", wait, that one doesn't really apply here now does it? sorry, had a brain fart. :)....
But, as we all well know, Ol Cheatin Roy is probably in the kids ear hot and heavy to come back and "Help the Team". I will actually be shocked if Jackson stays in the draft.

Olympic Fan
05-01-2016, 01:53 PM
I've been trying to track the list of players invited to the NBA combine next month. My thinking is that undergrads not invited to the combine PROBABLY return to school. Undergrads invited to the combine have a much higher chance to staying in the draft.

This is the best overall list I have found so far:

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/nba-draft-combine-invites-coming-out/175455224

From the ACC, undergrads Justin Jackson and Malachi Richardson are invited to the camp (along with Ingram, Barber, Beasley and Jackson, who have said they are hiring agents).

ESPN is reporting that Clemson's Jaron Blossomgame is an "alternate" for the combine.

No invite at all for Abu or Anya at State or Meeks at UNC or Beachem at Notre Dame. Got to think the odds are that they come back. Probably Blossomgame too.

BTW Our old friends at Maryland could take a huge hit -- undergrads Melo Trimble, Robert Carter and Diamond Stone all invited to the combine, along with senior Jake Layman. No invite for Rasheed.

SCMatt33
05-01-2016, 02:19 PM
I've been trying to track the list of players invited to the NBA combine next month. My thinking is that undergrads not invited to the combine PROBABLY return to school. Undergrads invited to the combine have a much higher chance to staying in the draft.

This is the best overall list I have found so far:

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/nba-draft-combine-invites-coming-out/175455224

From the ACC, undergrads Justin Jackson and Malachi Richardson are invited to the camp (along with Ingram, Barber, Beasley and Jackson, who have said they are hiring agents).

ESPN is reporting that Clemson's Jaron Blossomgame is an "alternate" for the combine.

No invite at all for Abu or Anya at State or Meeks at UNC or Beachem at Notre Dame. Got to think the odds are that they come back. Probably Blossomgame too.

BTW Our old friends at Maryland could take a huge hit -- undergrads Melo Trimble, Robert Carter and Diamond Stone all invited to the combine, along with senior Jake Layman. No invite for Rasheed.

Are there sources for the non-invites? Most of the lists out there (Zags and Goodman) both say that they are incomplete. I know for instance that Goodman has tweeted out some specific non-invites, including Beachem, but I haven't seen any media sources mention anything about the UNC or NC State guys. Now given that the other three UNC guys have been mentioned already, I find it doubtful that Meeks was invited but didn't tell anyone, but I haven't seen official word either.

Olympic Fan
05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Are there sources for the non-invites? Most of the lists out there (Zags and Goodman) both say that they are incomplete. I know for instance that Goodman has tweeted out some specific non-invites, including Beachem, but I haven't seen any media sources mention anything about the UNC or NC State guys. Now given that the other three UNC guys have been mentioned already, I find it doubtful that Meeks was invited but didn't tell anyone, but I haven't seen official word either.

Ohm, I don't claim the cite I listed has an official list.

I have seen ESPN tweets that confirm that Richardson and Jackson have gotten invites, while Blossomgame is an alternate.

I have also seen tweets that confirm that neither Abu or Beachem was invited.

I haven't seen any word either way for Anya or Meeks (maybe the two tubs of lard could have a pie-eating contest to see who gets an invite)

SCMatt33
05-01-2016, 05:52 PM

I have seen ESPN tweets that confirm that Richardson and Jackson have gotten invites, while Blossomgame is an alternate.

I haven't seen any word either way for Anya or Meeks (maybe the two tubs of lard could have a pie-eating contest to see who gets an invite)

Understood. Just didn't want anyone else to get confused between "not being on the unofficial invite list" and "not invited"

gofurman
05-02-2016, 09:35 AM

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Justin Jackson - UNC (Combine invite)
Malachi Richardson - Syracuse (Combine invite)
Onuaku - L'ville (Combine invite)
Blossomgame - Clemson (Alternate for combine)
Rathan-Mayes - FSU (? ? combine)
Kennedy Meeks - UNC (No combine invite)
Abu - State (No combine invite)
Anya - State (No combine invite)

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

* Now Returning - Beacham, Notre Dame ...

sammy3469
05-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Here's a tweet of the official list:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727120355899412480/photo/1

Kfanarmy
05-02-2016, 09:39 AM

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Rathan-Mayes - FSU (? combine)
Onuaku - L'ville (? combine)

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

wow...that's quite a bit of turmoil in one conference.

gofurman
05-02-2016, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=gofurman;884443]Back on topic: ACC players declaring and 'testing'.. is this list right now?? I am also listing transfers too - a FULL list of player 'losses' if you will.

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Rathan-Mayes - FSU No combine)

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

* Now Returning - Beacham, Notre Dame ..

That appears to be updated per May 1st. Especially interesting is the list of combine invites vs non-invites. Hopefully, Jackson leaves UNC. Not exactly sure what an 'alternate' is for the NBA combine? If someone decides to return to college and not even go to the combine then Blossomgame gets an invite? Otherwise he can't go to the combine?

sammy3469
05-02-2016, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=gofurman;884443]
That appears to be updated per May 1st. Especially interesting is the list of combine invites vs non-invites. Hopefully, Jackson leaves UNC. Not exactly sure what an 'alternate' is for the NBA combine? If someone decides to return to college and not even go to the combine then Blossomgame gets an invite? Otherwise he can't go to the combine?

Basically none of the sure-fire lottery guys usually participate, so their invites end up going to the alternates.

Olympic Fan
05-02-2016, 01:18 PM

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Rathan-Mayes - FSU (? ? combine)

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

Add Idy Diallo of Boston College ... he's transferring out

JasonEvans
05-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Here's a tweet of the official list:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727120355899412480/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChdAHFPW4AAfOBO.jpg

I have to think this really raises the odds Justin Jackson decides to stay in the draft. It is worth noting that he is kinda old for a soph. He turned 21 during the season. He's 8 months older than fellow soph Grayson Allen, more a year older than Tyus Jones and Justise Winslow, 9 months older than Jahlil, almost 2 years older than Ingram. In short, though Jackson is a soph, he's aged like a junior. The NBA is very, very aware of this kind of stuff. An 18, 19, 20 year old still has a lot of strength to add to their body. Once kids hit 21, 22, their bodies don't tend to change nearly as much.

-Jason "good riddance, lesser-JJ" Evans

JasonEvans
05-02-2016, 01:28 PM
By the way, sounds like Abu is gone from State regardless of his NBA dreams.

Jeff Goodman just tweeted (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727163894742024192): NC State forward Abdul Malik-Abu told ESPN he is “seriously considering transferring or hiring an agent.”

-Jason "Got can recruit the kids to come to Raleigh, but he sure has trouble keeping them around... this is a really troubling off-season for them" Evans

Olympic Fan
05-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Jeff Goodman just tweeted (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727163894742024192): NC State forward Abdul Malik-Abu told ESPN he is “seriously considering transferring or hiring an agent.”

-Jason "Got can recruit the kids to come to Raleigh, but he sure has trouble keeping them around... this is a really troubling off-season for them" Evans

Terrible blow to the Pack, if true ... Abu is definitely a solid ACC big man (unlike Anya).

kAzE
05-02-2016, 02:37 PM

I wonder what happened with that team this off season? They looked like they were on the path to some real success next year with The veterans they had and super hyped PG Dennis Smith coming in. Now all their veterans guys are on the way out? Not trying to dig for rumors, but man, that's a lot of "unforced" turnover for one team.

gofurman
05-02-2016, 02:38 PM
May 2nd...
ACC players declaring and 'testing'.. I am also listing transfers too - a FULL list of player 'losses' if you will.

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Rathan-Mayes - FSU No combine)
Abu - State (No combine invite) *tweet that he is “seriously considering transferring or hiring an agent.”

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU
Idy Diallo, Boston College

[ * Now Returning to school - Beacham, Notre Dame .. ]

That appears to be updated per May 1st. Especially interesting is the list of combine invites vs non-invites. Hopefully, Jackson leaves UNC.

Doria
05-02-2016, 04:07 PM
I wonder what happened with that team this off season? They looked like they were on the path to some real success next year with The veterans they had and super hyped PG Dennis Smith coming in. Now all their veterans guys are on the way out? Not trying to dig for rumors, but man, that's a lot of "unforced" turnover for one team.

Yeah, if Abu doesn't return, that really surprises me. He had a decent season last year, and with an arguably better supporting cast next season, I'd think he could showcase what he can do and work on things he cannot. He improved a lot last season, to me, with a more reliable mid-range shot (though not elite) and better moves to the basket.

I was not stunned to hear about the Martins, any more than Washington's transfer surprised me the previous season. But if Abu really doesn't return, I will be pretty surprised. I had thought most if the dissatisfaction on that team was the Martins. But who knows? I am disappointed, though, because I was looking forward to a decent Wolfpack team on the court next year.

Newton_14
05-02-2016, 11:37 PM

Terrible blow to the Pack, if true ... Abu is definitely a solid ACC big man (unlike Anya).

Jeff Gravely just reported this on the WRAL 11pm News. What in the heck is going on in Raleigh? Abu was raw when he came into the league last year, but I have seen a lot of their games in his two seasons, he gets all the minutes he can handle, and they use him a lot in their offense. This makes even less sense than the Martin Twins. Truly puzzling. Gottfried doesn't strike me as the kind of coach that is mean or too hard on players, so it's hard to fathom what is causing all these kids to fly the coup.

I'm stunned at this news. At least with the twins you could surmise the lesser talented twin wanted the same amount of minutes as his brother. Now I guess the watch is on to see if Anya transfers out as well.

The State fans have to be reeling. First uncheat skates with the NCAA and now all the transfers. Gott better find some JUCO's and Grad Students fast or it will be blowout city man. Dennis Smith must be beside himself by now.

gofurman
05-04-2016, 02:42 AM
May 3. ( X man back at FSU)

ACC players declaring and 'testing'.. I am also listing transfers too - a FULL list of player 'losses' if you will.

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Abu - State (No combine invite) *tweet that he is “seriously considering transferring or hiring an agent.”

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

[ * Now Returning to school
- Beacham, Notre Dame ..
- Rathan-Mayes - FSU

With Rathan-Mayes and Bacon back, FSU should be pretty decent next year

Also interesting is the list of combine invites vs non-invites. Hopefully, Jackson leaves UNC.

PackMan97
05-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Eh, does it really matter any more?

It's as if God is sending us Pack fans a message. Quit trying.

Indoor66
05-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Somebody else sends another one: "Don't give up. Don't ever give up."

Ichabod Drain
05-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Kennedy Meeks is returning to the Hell... I mean Hill.

flyingdutchdevil
05-04-2016, 11:52 AM

Is it cus he figured out there's no Carolina BBQ in Ukraine?

Smart move by Meeks. Get a degree, even if it's not worth much...

English
05-04-2016, 12:10 PM

Smart move by Meeks. Get a degree, even if it's not worth much...

Some on this board may disagree, especially when considering the balance of talent at UNC (not deep), but I actually think this is subtraction by addition (er, subtraction by x1). If Meeks continues to GOBBLE UP minutes that would otherwise go to Hicks, who is by nearly every indication a better player, that bodes well for the ABCers. Of course, I understand the argument that behind Meeks and Hicks is only a top-50 recruit and a lotta not-much-else. Either way, Meeks coming back doesn't really register for me. Plus, it was essentially a foregone conclusion in my mind, considering his paltry draft stock.

ncexnyc
05-04-2016, 01:03 PM

Those free Big Macs can be very addicting.

Billy Dat
05-04-2016, 01:14 PM

Zing!

PSurprise
05-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Those free Big Macs can be very addicting.

As long as they're available to the entire student body, they're ok.

elvis14
05-04-2016, 01:30 PM

Serious question....what the heck is going on over there?

Olympic Fan
05-04-2016, 05:47 PM
More bad news for our friends at NC State ...

Ben Carter, the big man from UNLV that Gottfried was pursuing, just committed to Michigan State.

And Omer Yurtseven, a 7-footer from Turkey, that State has been pursuing is visiting Syracuse today.

Yurtseven is kind of an interesting prospect -- the next Enes Kanter, both in talent (I've seen him projected as a lottery pick in the near future) and also in terms of eligibility issues. In fact, I was told that Yurtseven would wait until summer to make any visits as he tries to straighten out his issues.

No guarantees that he plays next year ... but if he does, he's an impact guy.

gofurman
05-04-2016, 08:50 PM
May 3. ( X man back at FSU)

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

- Beacham, Notre Dame ..
- Rathan-Mayes - FSU
- Meeks, UNC

Also interesting is the list of combine invites vs non-invites. Hopefully, Jackson leaves UNC

gofurman
05-16-2016, 11:28 PM
May 16. ( Jackson back at UNC ... also M Richardson of Cuse is gone. Anything I missed here that is for sure now?

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

- Beacham, Notre Dame ..
- Rathan-Mayes - FSU
- Meeks, UNC
- Jackson, UNC

With Meeks and Jackson back, UNC should be good again.

Also interesting is the list of combine invites vs non-invites.

Olympic Fan
05-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Just to note that Blossomgame WAS invited to the combine. He had one bad day and one very good day.

Chad Ford suggests that Blossomgame and Onuaku have two of the toughest choices to make of all the players at the combine.

Also, it's been reported that Anya is coming back to NC State, although I can't find official confirmation of that.

Olympic Fan
05-17-2016, 02:17 PM
Update: a reporter for the Boston Globe just tweeted that NC State's Abu will work out for the Celtics tomorrow, but its expected to return to school.

Of course, no guarantee that he is returning to State, but I can't imagine him going the transfer route and sitting out a year. When Jeff Goodman tweeted that Abu was not likely to return to State, I thought he was going to jump start his pro career, either in Europe or the D-league.

Now there are signs that he might be back at State -- this tweet and Abu's own very positive tweet when Yurtseven signed with the Pack.

Olympic Fan
05-19-2016, 12:54 PM
NC State just announced that Abu will withdraw from the draft and return to NC State.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/report-abu-returning-nc-state/

Still no official word on Anya, but he's almost certainly coming back too.

gofurman
05-19-2016, 01:36 PM
May 19. ( Abu coming back to State.. Anything I missed here that is for sure now?

" GONE "
Ingram, FR, F - Duke
Barber, JR, PG - State
Beasley - FSU

Transfers"
Thornton - PG Duke
Jalen Hudson VTech
G Robbie Berwick, FSU

- Beacham, Notre Dame ..
- Rathan-Mayes - FSU
- Meeks, UNC
- Jackson, UNC
- Abu, NC State

With Meeks and Jackson back, UNC should be good again.
With Abu back and the new big guy coming in (if he qualifies) that's a big boost to the State post game next year. I hope Yurtseven does qualify, I want State to be good

JasonEvans
05-19-2016, 01:42 PM
NC State just announced that Abu will withdraw from the draft and return to NC State.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-buzz/report-abu-returning-nc-state/

Still no official word on Anya, but he's almost certainly coming back too.

I feel like getting these guys back, combined with some very nice recruits, likely means State will be among the top half of the conference in the pre-season standings. I found a great page that shows (http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/m-baskbl_day_poll_history.pdf) the ACC pre-season poll over the years and how it translates to the final season standings. Here is how NCSU has done lately:

2015-16 Preseason ranking - 8
2015-16 final standings - 13

2014-15 Preseason ranking - 9
2014-15 final standings - 6t

2013-14 Preseason ranking - 10
2013-14 final standings - 7t

2012-13 Preseason ranking - 1
2012-13 final standings - 4t

2011-12 Preseason ranking - 8
2011-12 final standings -4t

2010-11 Preseason ranking - 4
2010-11 final standings -10t

Not sure there is anything definitive you can say about State in regards to this. It does seem that when they are highly ranked, the tend to underperform.

-Jason "I bet some of you will look at that link and suddenly find you've spent hours studying it and looking at historical performances for ACC teams. Ha!" Evans

Olympic Fan
05-19-2016, 03:28 PM
I feel like getting these guys back, combined with some very nice recruits, likely means State will be among the top half of the conference in the pre-season standings. I found a great page that shows (http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/m-baskbl_day_poll_history.pdf) the ACC pre-season poll over the years and how it translates to the final season standings. Here is how NCSU has done lately:

2015-16 Preseason ranking - 8
2015-16 final standings - 13

2014-15 Preseason ranking - 9
2014-15 final standings - 6t

2013-14 Preseason ranking - 10
2013-14 final standings - 7t

2012-13 Preseason ranking - 1
2012-13 final standings - 4t

2011-12 Preseason ranking - 8
2011-12 final standings -4t

2010-11 Preseason ranking - 4
2010-11 final standings -10t

Not sure there is anything definitive you can say about State in regards to this. It does seem that when they are highly ranked, the tend to underperform.

-Jason "I bet some of you will look at that link and suddenly find you've spent hours studying it and looking at historical performances for ACC teams. Ha!" Evans

Well, we should leave off 2010-11 -- that was Lowe's last team and they almost always underperformed -- the worst were 2008 (picked third, finished 12th) and 2011. Three of the five Gottfried teams have bettered expectations. The exceptions were last year, when the team was decimated by injuries, and 2013, when there team really finished almost exactly where they should have ... picking them first that year was just stupidity by the ACC sports media.

In followup news, Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Anya is returning to school (although no official announcement yet). Also, Gottfried recently said that Freeman is likely to redshirt next season -- he is seriously hobbled. That means they need Anya back to give them a three-man post rotation (Yurtseven, Abu and Anya_, although Rowan can play some stretch four.

As it now stands, I could see State somewhere in the 5-8 mix in the preseason poll -- definitely behind Duke, Louisville, UNC and Virginia ... but right there with FSU, Virginia Tech, Pitt and Miami in the middle of the league. I did have Syracuse in that group, but the loss of Richardson and the failure to get Albrecht or Yurtseven leaves them on the next echelon.

Olympic Fan
05-23-2016, 10:55 AM
The deadline for draft decisions by the early entries is approaching -- May 24 (not sure the exact hour, but everybody still on the fence must declare by tomorrow).

It appears that two ACC guys still have decisions to make:

Jaron Blossomgame of Clemson

Chinanu Onuaku of Louisville

At least I have not seen any news reports that either is staying in the draft or returning to school. Clemson could be decent with Blossomgame back -- without him, they are down near the bottom of the league. Louisville will be a strong contender with or without Onuaku, but they will obviously be better with him.

Nationally, the big one is Melo Trimble. The Terps are definitely losing four starters off a good-but-disappointing team. But if Trimble returns, the Terps will have a chance to be solid.

richardjackson199
05-23-2016, 12:49 PM
So much for 87%

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2016/5/23/11744758/marcus-lee-strongly-considering-a-return-to-uk

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 01:31 PM
Lots of decisions coming out, involving a lot of key national players:

Withdrawing from the draft:

Josh Hart, Villanova (means the defending champs will start next season in the top 5)
Dillon Brooks, Oregon
Tyler Dorsey, Oregon (means Oregon probably starts the season in the to 10)
Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin (makes Wisky a likely preseason top 10-15 team)
James Blackman, Indiana (along with Bryant, who withdrew earlier, makes the Hoosiers a borderline top 25 team)
Isaiah Briscoe, Kentucky
Marcus Lee, Kentucky (but will transfer to the West Coast and sit out next season)

Staying in the draft:
Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall
Troy Williams, Indiana (the reason Indiana is only borderline top 25 next season)

Still to be decided in the final hours before the deadline:
Melo Trimble, Maryland (a kid who hurt himself by staying -- he was first round after last year, but elected to come back and play his way into the lottery ... oops)
Caleb Swanigan, Purdue (the betting is that he stays in the draft)
Malik Newman, Mississippi State (not official, but according to his father he's going to pull a MarCus Lee -- withdraw from the draft, but transfer)

and the last two ACC guys:

Jaron Blossomgame, Clemson (has a 2 p.m. announcement set)
Chinanu Onauaku, Louisville (Pitino thinks he's gone, but the pro guys are telling him to go back to school).

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Blossomgame is returning to Clemson:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/its-decision-day-for-clemsons-jaron-blossomgame/39718018

That doesn't make Clemson a contender for the ACC title, but it does move them into the middle-echelon of the ACC. I could see them as a borderline contender for an NCAA bid.

Indoor66
05-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Blossomgame is returning to Clemson:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/its-decision-day-for-clemsons-jaron-blossomgame/39718018

That doesn't make Clemson a contender for the ACC title, but it does move them into the middle-echelon of the ACC. I could see them as a borderline contender for an NCAA bid.

Is this the year for Clemson? Inquiring minds want to know.

brevity
05-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Is this the year for Clemson? Inquiring minds want to know.

I want to know!

If you're asking if 2016-17 is the year for Clemson to win Chapel Hill, that's a guaranteed no. The ACC website (http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-releases-men-conference-basketball-matchups-02-12-2016) says they don't play in Chapel Hill next season.

Clemson: 2016-17
Home/Road: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech
Home: North Carolina, NC State, Virginia, Boston College, Syracuse
Road: Miami, Duke, Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Jeff Goodman quotes Rick Pitino as saying Chinanu Onauaku is definitely staying in the draft.

Also, Purdue's Caleb Swannigan is withdrawing from the draft and will return to school.

That leaves Melo Trimble a the last major question mark.

TruBlu
05-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Jeff Goodman quotes Rick Pitino as saying Chinanu Onauaku is definitely staying in the draft.

Also, Purdue's Caleb Swannigan is withdrawing from the draft and will return to school.

That leaves Melo Trimble a the last major question mark.

Does Melo have a band called "The Mysterians?

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 07:43 PM

No, but I suspect Mark Turgeon will shed more than 99 teardrops if Melo stays in the draft.

devildeac
05-25-2016, 08:34 PM

Now that's the 96 Tear question...

duke4ever19
05-25-2016, 09:10 PM
Trimble back to the Terps

https://twitter.com/WizardsTalk/status/735628421187969024/photo/1

Olympic Fan
05-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Trimble back to the Terps

https://twitter.com/WizardsTalk/status/735628421187969024/photo/1

Yep ... and Onuaku confirms Pitino's report that he's staying in the draft

awhom111
05-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Here is the official list of withdrawls in case anyone wanted to know about some of the other names with less relevance to Duke:
http://www.nba.com/2016/news/05/26/nba-early-entries-withdraw/index.html