PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 52: Wrapping up 2016

Dev11
04-11-2016, 11:34 PM
We've missed you all terribly, so here's an extra long podcast where we dive into everything that's happened since the Sweet Sixteen. Stay tuned until the end for heartfelt thoughts about this ongoing project.

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:
0:00 Welcome back! It's been a while.
2:40 We start by looking ahead to next season, because have you heard how great Duke's roster is???
14:50 Jason makes a bold claim about depth. Donald makes a request on behalf the podcast. Sam makes a plea for restraint.
18:50 Let's all chill on Derryck Thornton.
24:20 So how about that National Championship game?
33:00 When might UNC get their punishment for their decades of academic irregularities?
42:00 And the winner of the stats predictions game is... (We asked for rewards and punishments, leave comments with your thoughts!)
47:40 Sam picks a very tall player of the year.
52:30 Donald takes the haters' pick for player of the year.
57:30 Jason takes a lanky player of the year.
1:01:40 Sam requests sage wisdom from the other guys as a parting shot.
1:05:10 Donald loves the NCAA tournament.
1:06:30 Jason takes some ACC teams to task for mediocre coaching hires.
1:10:20 Things get sappy. Talk to you again soon!

Skitzle
04-12-2016, 06:34 AM
We've missed you all terribly, so here's an extra long podcast where we dive into everything that's happened since the Sweet Sixteen. Stay tuned until the end for heartfelt thoughts about this ongoing project.

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:
0:00 Welcome back! It's been a while.
2:40 We start by looking ahead to next season, because have you heard how great Duke's roster is???
14:50 Jason makes a bold claim about depth. Donald makes a request on behalf the podcast. Sam makes a plea for restraint.
18:50 Let's all chill on Derryck Thornton.
24:20 So how about that National Championship game?
33:00 When might UNC get their punishment for their decades of academic irregularities?
42:00 And the winner of the stats predictions game is... (We asked for rewards and punishments, leave comments with your thoughts!)
47:40 Sam picks a very tall player of the year.
52:30 Donald takes the haters' pick for player of the year.
57:30 Jason takes a lanky player of the year.
1:01:40 Sam requests sage wisdom from the other guys as a parting shot.
1:05:10 Donald loves the NCAA tournament.
1:06:30 Jason takes some ACC teams to task for mediocre coaching hires.
1:10:20 Things get sappy. Talk to you again soon!

Great Pod Guys!

A few notes from me:

1) Al Featherston touched on it today, but Sam you forgot to mention another reason that the idea of Thornton being pushed out is ridiculous. The logjam is caused by Jack White not Bolden, White was offered in Feb. Most likely AFTER Thornton's decision was solidified.

2) Jason, your outrage at the NCAA and UNC is totally legit, I'd love to get your opinion on this question. "Why didn't the NCAA send UNC the revised NOA during the season?" They certainly could have. Are they cooperating with UNC on this? This makes me the most angry.

3) Donald's punishment?
a) While wearing a UNC jersey do the Danny Green Intro dance and put it on YouTube.
b) Retake the SAT and publish the scores
c) Put a Picture of Him in a UNC Jersey with something UNC'ish in the background (A player, the dean dome) in his home.
d) Sing the fight song on the Intro to Each Podcast, or Karaoke a song of Jason's choosing and put it on SoundCloud.
e) Finish every prediction on next years podcast with "Says the Loser of Last years Stats Predictions")
f) Community Service (Lets do some good!)
g) Order Jason's family a Pizza

blazindw
04-12-2016, 07:14 AM
3) Donald's punishment?
a) While wearing a UNC jersey do the Danny Green Intro dance and put it on YouTube.
b) Retake the SAT and publish the scores
c) Put a Picture of Him in a UNC Jersey with something UNC'ish in the background (A player, the dean dome) in his home.
d) Sing the fight song on the Intro to Each Podcast, or Karaoke a song of Jason's choosing and put it on SoundCloud.
e) Finish every prediction on next years podcast with "Says the Loser of Last years Stats Predictions")
f) Community Service (Lets do some good!)
g) Order Jason's family a Pizza

UNC jerseys? Doing Danny Green dances? Pictures of me in UNC gear? You REALLY don't like me, do you? 😔

Dev11
04-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Great Pod Guys!

A few notes from me:

1) Al Featherston touched on it today, but Sam you forgot to mention another reason that the idea of Thornton being pushed out is ridiculous. The logjam is caused by Jack White not Bolden, White was offered in Feb. Most likely AFTER Thornton's decision was solidified.

Thanks for the notes, Skitzle. I was thinking about Jack White, but sometimes when I'm staring at my microphone and coming up with words, the thoughts all get jumbled. Call it stage fright.

The punishments for Donald sound excellent, let's get some more from the people before I confer with the rules committee (that's just me, by the way).

nocilla
04-12-2016, 10:04 AM
No punishment by a Duke fan should ever involve wearing UNC apparel. Losing a bet to a fan of the uglier blue is a different story. But a Duke fan should never want another Duke fan to wear something that repulsive. It would be like punishing yourself because you have to look at it and an outside party will think one of you must be a UNC fan.

JasonEvans
04-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Jason, your outrage at the NCAA and UNC is totally legit, I'd love to get your opinion on this question. "Why didn't the NCAA send UNC the revised NOA during the season?" They certainly could have. Are they cooperating with UNC on this? This makes me the most angry.

I have no idea except to note that much of the new info about the ADHD testing and the independent study class load is relatively new. I think the NCAA is wisely being prudent and moving slowly to ensure they don't pull a Miami here and screw the whole thing up. Plus, the NCAA is in no rush. They are very aware that the longer this goes, the worse it is for UNC. Now that Carolina's shot at a national title is done, I suspect we will start hearing louder and louder wails from Carolina about how long this is taking. They wanted to avoid punishment at all costs 6 months ago and now want punishment to be handed down as quickly as possible.

d) Sing the fight song on the Intro to Each Podcast.

Those two both sound very good to me!

blazindw
04-12-2016, 02:06 PM
No punishment by a Duke fan should ever involve wearing UNC apparel. Losing a bet to a fan of the uglier blue is a different story. But a Duke fan should never want another Duke fan to wear something that repulsive. It would be like punishing yourself because you have to look at it and an outside party will think one of you must be a UNC fan.

Everyone should listen to nocilla!!

I'd be fine at singing the intro before one podcast or doing the "from last year's worst predictor" at next year's predictions. I think if I had a veto, that veto would be doing anything UNC related. 😀

Skitzle
04-12-2016, 05:11 PM
I have no idea except to note that much of the new info about the ADHD testing and the independent study class load is relatively new. I think the NCAA is wisely being prudent and moving slowly to ensure they don't pull a Miami here and screw the whole thing up. Plus, the NCAA is in no rush. They are very aware that the longer this goes, the worse it is for UNC. Now that Carolina's shot at a national title is done, I suspect we will start hearing louder and louder wails from Carolina about how long this is taking. They wanted to avoid punishment at all costs 6 months ago and now want punishment to be handed down as quickly as possible.

I just see this all leading up to a situation next February where the hammer still hasn't fallen and UNC is 17-10 and they self impose post-season bans and scholarship reductions as an "out".

JasonEvans
04-12-2016, 10:00 PM
I just see this all leading up to a situation next February where the hammer still hasn't fallen and UNC is 17-10 and they self impose post-season bans and scholarship reductions as an "out".

Unless they self-impose 2 or 3 seasons (at least) then they are coming up short.

Dsuke17
04-13-2016, 09:02 AM
I rarely post on this board. But as 2015-2016 season has been wrapped up, I just wanted to tell you how much I have been enjoying this podcast and how much i appreciate you guys.

Let me talk about myself a little.
I am Japanese Duke fan currently living in Japan. I spent my high school senior year in US as an exchange student. It was 1991-1992 school year and I was very fortunate to watch arguably the best Duke team ever. I have been following Duke basketball since then.

In Japan, while NBA is very popular, few people watch NCAA basketball. So I don't have many chance to talk about Duke basketball. Then last year I found this podcast!! I really enjoy listening three of you (and some guests) talking about nothing but Duke basketball !! I listened every episode at least twice! (four or five times when we won the National Championship!!) You guys make my basketball season much more fun and I even started to follow Duke Football because of you !!

So thank you very much for great work!! Please keep up !!
I hope it won't be long before next episode !!

DukeDevil
04-13-2016, 09:20 AM
A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Casting.

thanks guys, I definitely am always looking forward to a new episode. I always feel so greedy when I wonder why one hasn't been posted. "WHY HAVEN'T YOU PROVIDED ME WITH MY FREE ENTERTAINMENT YET MONKEYS, DANCE FOR US, DANCE!"

I think making anyone own a UNC jersey for the purposes of punishment is too much, but I like the idea of having to have a photo taken, perhaps it has to be in your signature line until the start of next season?

UrinalCake
04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Thank you Jason, Donald and Sam for all your work in bringing this podcast to us. I listen to every episode and love the perspectives that you bring. Agree that even when Duke doesn't win it all, following the team can bring us a lot of joy and entertainment. If the NCAA does bring the hammer down on the CHeats this summer, you'll have to record a special episode so Jason can go off on a celebratory rant for like 30 minutes.

Can't wait for next season, and I look forward to hopefully hearing some more amazing guests on the podcast during the offseason.

kAzE
04-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Are you guys going to do a few podcasts in the off season when there's something to talk about? This is definitely something I enjoy listening to on my commutes to and from work :)

Dev11
04-13-2016, 10:59 AM
If the NCAA does bring the hammer down on the CHeats this summer, you'll have to record a special episode so Jason can go off on a celebratory rant for like 30 minutes.

Though it usually doesn't make an appearance, I keep the mandolin close by when we record, since I need something to fidget with. Whenever we stumble into a discussion of UNC academics, I mute the mic for a few minutes and just start playing. If the sanctions ever come down, I'll probably have enough time to compose my Opus #1 while Jason delivers his soliloquy.

We'll probably treat the offseason the same way we did last year, occasional episodes with guests or NBA Draft stuff (our NBA draft summary episode from last summer remains, inexplicably, our most downloaded episode). We'll ramp back up to weekly in the fall when football is back.

BandAlum83
04-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Thank you for all of your hard work!

blazindw
04-14-2016, 12:38 AM
Though it usually doesn't make an appearance, I keep the mandolin close by when we record, since I need something to fidget with. Whenever we stumble into a discussion of UNC academics, I mute the mic for a few minutes and just start playing. If the sanctions ever come down, I'll probably have enough time to compose my Opus #1 while Jason delivers his soliloquy.

We'll probably treat the offseason the same way we did last year, occasional episodes with guests or NBA Draft stuff (our NBA draft summary episode from last summer remains, inexplicably, our most downloaded episode). We'll ramp back up to weekly in the fall when football is back.

Like Sam said, we'll probably reach out to some potential guests to see if they'd be willing to speak with us, there's the NBA Draft and other stuff like schedule speculation. Don't worry, we won't go too long between podcasts!

Dev11
05-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Quick update from podcast land: Duke news has been light and we haven't secured any guests yet, so there's a chance that May 2016 will be the first month since November 2014 that we don't have an episode. Please don't hate, we'll dance for you again in the future. Thanks again for all the kind words, we're not planning on going anywhere.