PDA

View Full Version : DVR Alert -- E:60 on Bobby Hurley -- April 12 at 10:00 PM on ESPN

Tom B.
04-09-2016, 11:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15141724

Goosebumps.

Tom B.
04-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Teaser clip from the show.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15134149

BandAlum83
04-09-2016, 12:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=15141724

Goosebumps.

Tears, smiles.

JasonEvans
04-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Now that is what I call must see TV!! Looks incredible.

madscavenger
04-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Hurley vs Wojo

Match on. The next 2-3 years will determine who will ultimately be at the helm. For now, i'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching the master do a little snipping. Snip, snip, snip...........is that the ghost of Wooden i see glancing back? Might have a couple of extra years to wait for the victorious man in waiting.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Really good so far. Giving me chills and goosebumps.

He was the pure definition of "tough as nails."

OldPhiKap
04-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Really good so far. Giving me chills and goosebumps.

He was the pure definition of "tough as nails."

Yup. You forget how fast he really was, and how incredibly well he passed.

Duke76
04-12-2016, 10:47 PM

darn it, been watching the heels lose to nova again just started watching, man he was so young

Duke76
04-12-2016, 10:48 PM
darn it, been watching the heels lose to nova again just started watching, man he was so young

has this ever been on before?

Duke79UNLV77
04-12-2016, 11:09 PM
My favorite Duke player of all time. All heart. And people forget just how darn good he was.

BeachBlueDevil
04-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Great E:60 on Hurley. He was a tough kid and that is evident in not only how he played, but also how he came back from his accident. I wish he could have had a healthy 10yrs in the NBA,he'd have had a really productive career.

westwall
04-12-2016, 11:21 PM

"Must see TV" for any Duke fan. Brought back a lot of memories!

OldPhiKap
04-12-2016, 11:31 PM
"Must see TV" for any Duke fan. Brought back a lot of memories!

Hell yes.

For those who we're not around when K was beginning to build the legend -- Everyone hates Laettner, but Bobby was the straw that stirred the drink. His shot against Venag in '91, down five with 2:14 or so to go, is perhaps the most clutch shot in Duke history.

The. Real. Deal.

Troublemaker
04-12-2016, 11:39 PM
For those like me who missed it, there's a replay in about 20 minutes on ESPN2 (Midnight East Coast).

OldPhiKap
04-13-2016, 11:56 AM
That was better than the 30 for 30 on Laettner IMO. Well-done.

Olympic Fan
04-13-2016, 12:37 PM

I remember reading that when he had his private workout with the Kings, he was measured as the fastest player with the basketball that the team had ever measured ... and remember, this was a team with Spud Webb.

devildeac
04-13-2016, 12:43 PM

I remember reading that when he had his private workout with the Kings, he was measured as the fastest player with the basketball that the team had ever measured ... and remember, this was a team with Spud Webb.

There was a mention/reference to this in one of K's books (Season Is A Lifetime ?) where K and Hurley would "love" to see teams press Duke because Bobby was so quick/fast with the ball that he imagined he was (paraphrasing) "dribbling around/through/between cones" when he'd break the pressure.

Jeffrey
04-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Practice, practice, practice. The basketball was Bobby's appendage. IMO, Duke has never had a more determined player.

Doria
04-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Thank you guys for pointing out this show. I couldn't watch last night, but was able to set my DVR to record it. I still have '91 and '92 special to watch (aired before the Final Four), also. Wouldn't have known about without all of you posting, so thanks again; Bobby is one of my favorite Duke players.

BandAlum83
04-13-2016, 04:58 PM

I remember back in the day hearing how relentless he was in his cardio and stamina. He "held the Duke Team record for how many consecutive HOURS he would spend on the stair climber. Remembering this, it broke my heart when i saw the video of him taking his first steps out of the hospital bed and him saying he went 20 steps out and back and was wiped out [paraphrased].

He was the original terminator...relentless.

The piece did mention that the driver of the other car didn't have his lights on. Do I recall correctly that he was also charged for DUI? If so, odd that it wasn't mentioned.

OldPhiKap
04-13-2016, 06:20 PM
I remember back in the day hearing how relentless he was in his cardio and stamina. He "held the Duke Team record for how many consecutive HOURS he would spend on the stair climber. Remembering this, it broke my heart when i saw the video of him taking his first steps out of the hospital bed and him saying he went 20 steps out and back and was wiped out [paraphrased].

The piece did mention that the driver of the other car didn't have his lights on. Do I recall correctly that he was also charged for DUI? If so, odd that it wasn't mentioned.

1. I recall a story of him leaving a note on the stair master for the person whose record he beat (don't recall who -- maybe Bilas or one of the coaches?)

2. He flipped a car on Flowers Drive or at the Gardens while he was in school IIRC can but do not believe he was charged with DUI. I think many folks assumed that alcohol was a factor but I am unaware of any facts to support or negate that assumption.

Doria
04-13-2016, 06:33 PM
1. I recall a story of him leaving a note on the stair master for the person whose record he beat (don't recall who -- maybe Bilas or one of the coaches?)

2. He flipped a car on Flowers Drive or at the Gardens while he was in school IIRC can but do not believe he was charged with DUI. I think many folks assumed that alcohol was a factor but I am unaware of any facts to support or negate that assumption.

I think I remember that it was Bilas (can't recall why he was there at that time), who said he eventually gave up.

Jeffrey
04-13-2016, 06:52 PM
I think I remember that it was Bilas (can't recall why he was there at that time), who said he eventually gave up.

Bilas was pretending to coach. It gave him a lot of extra time to work out.

IIRC, Bobby left Bilas in the dust when Bobby had a broken foot!

Jeffrey
04-13-2016, 06:54 PM
He flipped a car on Flowers Drive or at the Gardens while he was in school IIRC can but do not believe he was charged with DUI. I think many folks assumed that alcohol was a factor but I am unaware of any facts to support or negate that assumption.

Lost me (easy to do). Are you talking about the guy who hit Bobby? Sounds like you might be talking about Bobby?

OldPhiKap
04-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Lost me (easy to do). Are you talking about the guy who hit Bobby? Sounds like you might be talking about Bobby?

Two different events.

When Bobby was a student, he was involved in a one car accident on campus. No report on whether alcohol was involved, but speculation.

The person who hit Bobby in Sacremento when he was a pro was charged with DUI I believe. Bobby just left the arena and was sober.

Jeffrey
04-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Two different events.

When Bobby was a student, he was involved in a one car accident on campus. No report on whether alcohol was involved, but speculation.

The person who hit Bobby in Sacremento when he was a pro was charged with DUI I believe. Bobby just left the arena and was sober.

I did not know the on campus event, thanks!

I remember the Sacramento event (as you stated) being 100% the other drivers fault and them being charged for DUI. Of course, back then, DUI was not dealt with like it is now.

BandAlum83
04-13-2016, 07:02 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The "he" i was referring to was the driver of the car who hit Bobby in the accident that almost killed him. In the report, they showed a clip of a witness who said that car (the car that hit Bobby) didn't have it's lights on.

I knew nothing of another accident on Flowers Drive, which really isn't germane to this.

Indoor66
04-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if or when the show will be broadcast again? I failed to record and missed it.

BandAlum83
04-13-2016, 07:04 PM
I did not know the on campus event, thanks!

I remember the Sacramento event (as you stated) being 100% the other drivers fault and them being charged for DUI. Of course, back then, DUI was not dealt with like it is now.

Precisely. But in the ESPN piece, it says nothing about this. I wonder if the other driver was never convicted. Could that be why they mentioned only that the lights weren't on?

Does anyone know the final disposition of that DUI case?

tbyers11
04-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Precisely. But in the ESPN piece, it says nothing about this. I wonder if the other driver was never convicted. Could that be why they mentioned only that the lights weren't on?

Does anyone know the final disposition of that DUI case?

According to this ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7582301/daniel-wieland-apologizes-nearly-killing-former-duke-blue-devils-sacramento-kings-player-bobby-hurley), the driver that hit Bobby had his lights off but was not drunk. After a hung jury in the first trial, he was sentenced to a misdemeanor reckless driving charge and given 3 years probation and a $300 fine

devildeac
04-13-2016, 08:42 PM

From A Season Is A Lifetime:

"Hurley spotted Bilas's (proofread fail in book) record of 759 floors, scored by pumping the exercise machine at the highest level for almost an hour. When Bilas came in the next day, he found a note from Hurley-800 floors.
Not one to turn down an obvious challenge, Bilas pushed himself farther than usual, and when Hurley came in for his next workout, there was another note-Bilas had hiked the mark to 856. 'I could never catch that,' Hurley said. 'Jay got me on that one. But the competition made me work harder.'
'I kicked his a%% (%% are my doing cuz we know what the filter does with a-double-s),' Bilas said with a wide grin."

But, somewhere else in the book, someone described Hurley as a machine and said he could play 40 minutes and still be fresh and ready to go another 40 (paraphrased that).

I think you're correct about the other driver not having his lights on but I'm not sure about the DUI. IIRC, unfortunately, Bobby was not wearing a seat belt.

devildeac
04-13-2016, 08:45 PM

A Season Is A Lifetime says Bilas was a volunteer coach at the time.

freshmanjs
04-13-2016, 08:47 PM

Hurley was, in fact, arrested for DUI while a student at duke.

link (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-11-28/sports/sp-933_1_bobby-hurley)

BandAlum83
04-13-2016, 09:43 PM
From A Season Is A Lifetime:

"Hurley spotted Bilas's (proofread fail in book) record of 759 floors, scored by pumping the exercise machine at the highest level for almost an hour. When Bilas came in the next day, he found a note from Hurley-800 floors.
Not one to turn down an obvious challenge, Bilas pushed himself farther than usual, and when Hurley came in for his next workout, there was another note-Bilas had hiked the mark to 856. 'I could never catch that,' Hurley said. 'Jay got me on that one. But the competition made me work harder.'
'I kicked his a%% (%% are my doing cuz we know what the filter does with a-double-s),' Bilas said with a wide grin."

But, somewhere else in the book, someone described Hurley as a machine and said he could play 40 minutes and still be fresh and ready to go another 40 (paraphrased that).

I think you're correct about the other driver not having his lights on but I'm not sure about the DUI. IIRC, unfortunately, Bobby was not wearing a seat belt.

Out of all the seriously world class athletes that have played for Duke, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that it would have been Bilas and that Hurley couldn't catch him.

New respect for my man JB.

gumbomoop
04-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know if or when the show will be broadcast again? I failed to record and missed it.

Thursday, 4/14, ESPN2, 8 pm.
Friday, 4/15, ESPN News, 1 am.
Friday, 4/15, ESPN News, 7 pm.
Saturday, 4/16, ESPN News, 12 am. (i.e., Friday midnight)
Saturday, 4/16, ESPN News, 8 am.

Indoor66
04-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Thursday, 4/14, ESPN2, 8 pm.
Friday, 4/15, ESPN News, 1 am.
Friday, 4/15, ESPN News, 7 pm.
Saturday, 4/16, ESPN News, 12 am. (i.e., Friday midnight)
Saturday, 4/16, ESPN News, 8 am.

Thank you for the info. I'll get it now! :cool:

Doria
04-13-2016, 10:04 PM
A Season Is A Lifetime says Bilas was a volunteer coach at the time.

My memory thanks you for the help, and records an assist in your name!

(However, I must say that if you were referring to the possessive of the quoted section as the "proofread fail," that can be correct, depending on the style guide that you prefer; a singular noun ending in "S" can form a possessive by adding an apostrophe + "S" as usual. /pedantic English teacher)

devildeac
04-13-2016, 10:21 PM

(However, I must say that if you were referring to the possessive of the quoted section as the "proofread fail," that can be correct, depending on the style guide that you prefer; a singular noun ending in "S" can form a possessive by adding an apostrophe + "S" as usual. /pedantic English teacher)

You're welcome and thank you. I am more educated now than when the evening started as I always thought it was (for example) Bilas' and not Bilas's.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-13-2016, 10:22 PM

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Doria again."

-sigh...

Did I tell you about my new "Indie-Grammarcore band?"

Pedantic, at the Disco.

(Period inclusive)

jacone21
04-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Out of all the seriously world class athletes that have played for Duke, I wouldn't have guessed in a million years that it would have been Bilas and that Hurley couldn't catch him.

What Hurley failed to realize is that Jay was bringing in a seven year old Patrick Davidson to run up the stair count. Patrick would knock out a few hundred flights and Jay would pay him off in Bubble Yum and Chuck Norris action figures.

Billy Dat
04-18-2016, 12:17 PM
I watched this Hurley E:60 last night and it was excellent.

I have to say, of all the K disciples, Bobby seems to be the one most cut from the K cloth of fire and profanity. His coaching intensity was awesome to behold. The clips of he and Danny coaching together at Wagner where they are basically two separate bodies screaming and reacting the same exact way were priceless. Both Hurley brothers are insanely intense, they don't do much smiling for the camera. I thought there old man was tough...forget about it...these two look like they are always on a slow burn.

K is funny in the doc, it feels more like the real K and not a guy trying to get across a message. They review oft repeated story of Laettner getting mad that K handed Bobby the ball on Day 1 of his first practice and said, "It's your team" without Bobby having had to earn it, K, in present day says something like, "What Christian didn't understand is that I'd been recruiting Bobby and watching him and he'd already earned it based on what I had seen..." and then he starts cracking up. In other words, "I can do whatever I want!"

cspan37421
04-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Sure you're not thinking of Alaa?
And my recollection was that he hit a lightpost, no flipping.

OldPhiKap
04-18-2016, 01:22 PM
And my recollection was that he hit a lightpost, no flipping.

Could be, just going from memory of long ago.

subzero02
04-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Hurley was, in fact, arrested for DUI while a student at duke.

link (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-11-28/sports/sp-933_1_bobby-hurley)

According to this LA times article from November of 92, Hurley was charged with DUI in May of 92 after being arrested at a license checkpoint in Durham. There is no mention of Alaa, a light post or an automobile flippping.

JasonEvans
04-18-2016, 04:01 PM

Dude, maybe you are too young to recall, but Jay was majorly buff at Duke. He was a workout fiend. Check out this photo:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1114/in_a_bilasj_576.jpg

-Jason "Jay had muscles on his muscles" Evans

JasonEvans
04-18-2016, 04:03 PM

Alaa's accident was a whole different story... I know, because I was there ;)

wsb3
04-18-2016, 08:10 PM

I have to say, of all the K disciples, Bobby seems to be the one most cut from the K cloth of fire and profanity. His coaching intensity was awesome to behold. The clips of he and Danny coaching together at Wagner where they are basically two separate bodies screaming and reacting the same exact way were priceless. Both Hurley brothers are insanely intense, they don't do much smiling for the camera. I thought there old man was tough...forget about it...these two look like they are always on a slow burn.

K is funny in the doc, it feels more like the real K and not a guy trying to get across a message. They review oft repeated story of Laettner getting mad that K handed Bobby the ball on Day 1 of his first practice and said, "It's your team" without Bobby having had to earn it, K, in present day says something like, "What Christian didn't understand is that I'd been recruiting Bobby and watching him and he'd already earned it based on what I had seen..." and then he starts cracking up. In other words, "I can do whatever I want!"

I just watched it tonight. I agree. It was excellent.

wsb3
04-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Dude, maybe you are too young to recall, but Jay was majorly buff at Duke. He was a workout fiend. Check out this photo:

Didn't he gain a crazy amount of weight from one season to the next? Like 30-35 pounds?

cato
04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
Didn't he gain a crazy amount of weight from one season to the next? Like 30-35 pounds?

Pretty sure I could do that. And I barely work out.

wsb3
04-18-2016, 08:20 PM

I should have known better..With this crowd you have to be specific.. :D Let me clarify. It was muscle weight...

OldPhiKap
04-18-2016, 08:34 PM

You need to chime in on doughnut and beer choices.

Jarhead
04-18-2016, 10:25 PM

I noticed that, too. The K cloth, that is. That's why I have Bobby as my top prospect for the job when K retires. I'll also, while I'm at it, offer praise for the job ESPN did putting that show together. Surprise, surprise.

BandAlum83
04-18-2016, 10:34 PM

Not too young. Jay was a frosh when I was a senior. Not as buff freshman year, but yes, he did get rather buff. Not the Adonis Gene Banks was, however.