PDA

View Full Version : What Were You Right About?

Henderson
04-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Off season, so...

What's the one thing you've posted on DBR that allows you to say, "Well, I may be an idiot, but I was right about _______?"

I'll go first.

I got nothing. Maybe a couple of jokes. Not much.

But come on, take a bow. You know you deserve to be recognized as having been right.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Off season, so...

What's the one thing you've posted on DBR that allows you to say, "Well, I may be an idiot, but I was right about _______?"

I'll go first.

I got nothing. Maybe a couple of jokes. Not much.

But come on, take a bow. You know you deserve to be recognized as having been right.

I'll take some credit for starting the optimist thread at the low point of the 2015 championship season.

Bostondevil
04-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Matt Ryan's rookie year in the NFL. I thought he was a stud and predicted the Falcons would win at least 10 games. They won 11. I was the only one who predicted that in a Off Topic Board poll.

Jeffrey
04-07-2016, 11:47 AM
The only thing I get consistently right is my sources. It's not what you know, it's who you know, when it's not your specialty.

BLPOG
04-07-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if I voiced it on the board specifically, but I strongly disagreed IRL with some naysayers this season who doubted we would make the tournament.

PackMan97
04-07-2016, 12:00 PM
I was right about the Tarheels being dirty rotten cheaters...I've been trying to make the case since the mid '90s and I may be an idiot, but dagnabit I was right about that!

moonpie23
04-07-2016, 12:04 PM
actually, i was totally wrong about Tayshawn Prince....thought he'd NEVER have a decent NBA career cause he was too skinny...

also wrong about Coach Karl calling the CODE RED on julius hodge...i admit that was a little far fetched...

Doria
04-07-2016, 12:08 PM
I hadn't officially joined in the pre-season, though I was already a long-term lurker, but I was right about Luke's general game. I was wrong that he'd be a gunner from 3 (well, I suppose you could say he still was, irrespective of made shot percentage, but...), but I loved what I'd seen if his general ability to create shots; I also fully expect that with more interior passing options, we're likely to see a good jump in his assists next season, too.

However, on the whole, I was probably wrong about more than I was right. It isn't an unfamiliar feeling for me, though, so there's that.

hurleyfor3
04-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Tiger Woods and the uncritical deification of him.

tux
04-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Before this season, I said that I thought the success of this year's team would hinge on 2 of our 3 captains stepping up and playing much better, and that I thought Marshall was actually ripe to take a big step forward. I was half right, as Amile got hurt and Matt was slowed by injuries as well, but I think that thought was more or less on point when almost everyone else was counting on some combination of Obi, Jeter, Thornton, etc.

Speaking of Obi, I said that I thought he was a project and that 10+ rebounds at Rice against bad competition would not translate into much this year.

After the open practice last season, I said that I thought Tyus was an elite PG who would be a major piece... more or less right, although as I state in the other thread, I thought Quinn wouldn't mesh well with Tyus on the court.

ChillinDuke
04-07-2016, 02:02 PM
I've never been right about anything.

Ever.

- Chillin

Indoor66
04-07-2016, 02:04 PM
I've always been right about everything - except on those other occasions. :cool:

JNort
04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
I was right about:

Nolan Smiths development
Quinn Cooks development
Zoubek being underrated
Marshall Plumlee being better than what many thought
Not getting down on this year's team during that losing streak

Devilwin
04-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Probably just dumb luck, but I got three.
1. Predicted Amile would red shirt back in January.
2. Predicted Villanova would topple UNC.
3. Predicted Grayson Allen would return to Duke for his junior year.

ONE MORE FOR THE FUTURE...
Marques Bolden will sign with Duke...

NashvilleDevil
04-07-2016, 02:15 PM
60% of the time I am right every time.

devildeac
04-07-2016, 02:20 PM

Lies, damned lies and statistics...

rsvman
04-07-2016, 02:29 PM

I see what you did there.

I was right to marry my wife, 'cause she's right all the time! Too bad she doesn't know much about basketball.

I was right that Luke needed more playing time. And.............aw, heck. That's about it.

MCFinARL
04-07-2016, 02:29 PM
I've never been right about anything.

Ever.

- Chillin

I see what you did there!

freshmanjs
04-07-2016, 02:36 PM
From the in-game thread Monday night at halftime:

"Absolutely love Villanova's position. UNC shot way above their norm and only up 5. Nova is gonna win (and they will do it without their A++ game)."

JNort
04-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Probably just dumb luck, but I got three.
1. Predicted Amile would red shirt back in January.
2. Predicted Villanova would topple UNC.
3. Predicted Grayson Allen would return to Duke for his junior year.

ONE MORE FOR THE FUTURE...
Marques Bolden will sign with Duke...

I actually hope this doesn't happen. I don't want anyone on our current team to feel forced into a transfer as I think every one we already got is better than Bolden

gurufrisbee
04-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Allen staying at Duke
Marshall making a Senior Plumlee improvement

mgtr
04-07-2016, 03:00 PM
While I have learned how difficult it is to judge talent at 18, the one time I was right was Jon Scheyer. Though I never imagined him as a point guard, I thought he was great early on.

Wander
04-07-2016, 03:36 PM
My first round of this year's tournament was insane, correctly picking 11 Wichita State, 11 Gonzaga, 11 Northern Iowa, 12 Yale, 12 Little Rock, and 14 Stephen F Austin to win their first games - and those were the only 11 seed or higher upsets I picked, so no "false positives." If only I had heard the news about the Cal injuries in time...

Don't ask how my later rounds went.

Troublemaker
04-07-2016, 03:48 PM
I actually hope this doesn't happen. I don't want anyone on our current team to feel forced into a transfer as I think every one we already got is better than Bolden

No one will be forced out to make way for Bolden.

Devilwin
04-07-2016, 05:41 PM
My thoughts are you cannot pass on a talent like that. Hopefully everyone will stay, heck, we can platoon them. No more fellas wearing out.:cool:

NSDukeFan
04-07-2016, 07:59 PM
I was right about:

Nolan Smiths development
Quinn Cooks development
Zoubek being underrated
Marshall Plumlee being better than what many thought
Not getting down on this year's team during that losing streak
I have sometimes been right that some players can improve after their sophomore years.

My thoughts are you cannot pass on a talent like that. Hopefully everyone will stay, heck, we can platoon them. No more fellas wearing out.:cool:

Unless math gets in the way.

Gumbomoop should get on this thread about Kennard. He was raving about him all last off season and was certainly justified as that guy is awesome and fun to watch.

Newton_14
04-07-2016, 09:17 PM
- I agreed with freshmanjs at halftime of the title game that Nova was in great shape, and I pointed out Unc-LV was only staying in it because of 3's. And I will take this opportunity to state again (yall are likely sick of hearing it) the final sequence of the first half makes a difference on how the second half and game will go. Unc-Lv blowing the layup to go up 9 at the half, and then letting Nova get the quick bucket to actually cut into the lead and go into halftime down 5 was a huge sequence in that game.
- I was right that Grayson and Brandon would lead the team in scoring and Grayson would be an impact player playing lots of minutes
- I said from Day 1 Grayson would return for his Jr Season
- Like Devilwin I stated early in the Amile Injury thread he should be redshirted

that's about it for this season other than never doubting we would make the Big Dance...

Great offseason threads Henderson! Thanks for doing this.

-jk
04-07-2016, 09:30 PM
I was right to keep my mouth shut and not predict stuff. Else I'd be posting a lot more in the wrong, doppelganger thread.

-jk

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 09:45 PM
After the McD AA game, I predicted here that Grayson Allen would be the most hated Duke player since Laettner and would surpass even JJ.

I think I have that right as is, and next year will seal it to any doubters.

devildeac
04-07-2016, 10:04 PM
I discussed it with Mrs. dd and she said this was not the correct thread for me. Any other suggestions?

:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 10:06 PM
I discussed it with Mrs. dd and she said this was not the correct thread for me. Any other suggestions?

:rolleyes:

Mmm, beer. When in doubt, go with what you know.

devildeac
04-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Mmm, beer. When in doubt, go with what you know.

She thought there might be another thread on the EK forum that would be more in line with her opinion/evaluation of my thought processes and ideas. :o

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 10:24 PM
She thought there might be another thread on the EK forum that would be more in line with her opinion/evaluation of my thought processes and ideas. :o

I cannot imagine what it could be.

gumbomoop
04-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Thanks to the prompt from NSDukeFan above ^, I will gladly follow up on my just-now-posted Wrong Stuff.

As to Right Stuff:

1. Jan Boxill
2. Kyrie
3. Posting a prediction the day of the game that the Pack would beat the Heels in CH last season (Feb 2015).
4. Luke, mostly. Believe it or not, I thought he'd be even better right off. Come to think on it, you probably have no trouble at all believing that. I still fully expect him to become my second favorite Duke player ever. I hope this won't put too much pressure on him.

throatybeard
04-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Tiger Woods and the uncritical deification of him.

Okay, but I was even righter about it.

Steven43
04-08-2016, 12:41 AM

'Platoon them'? I guess you forgot who is coaching this team.

killerleft
04-09-2016, 09:52 AM
I am wildly optimistic about most of our players, so Duke being what Duke is, I am right far more often than wrong.:):confused: Anyway, I was sure that the early-season Brandon Ingram would escape his funk and become a special player for us.

Tripping William
04-09-2016, 09:56 AM
The Blackout deleted my extremely lengthy list that I posted last night. *sigh* :o

slower
04-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Hmm. Let's see...

1. I always thought Grayson would be back next year. He's a different kind of cat, sort of a throwback. Kid's playing for immortality (#3 in the rafters) and because he just loves Duke and the whole college experience.

2. Amile has never developed that mid-range jumper.

3. Until/unless proven otherwise, UNC will skate on major penalties (at least, major enough for most of us).

throatybeard
04-10-2016, 10:39 PM
3. Until/unless proven otherwise, UNC will skate on major penalties (at least, major enough for most of us).

This is less of a prediction than an eternal law.