PDA

View Full Version : DBR Appreciation Thread

Nick
04-07-2016, 08:10 AM
It occurs to me that I have now been reading DBR for about 20 years, so I wanted to take a moment to extend my most heartfelt thanks to all those involved with it. I first found DBR way back in 1996 when it was part of juliovision.com. At the time I was living in SEC country where I was starved for information about Duke basketball as well as the rest of the ACC (this, some of you may recall, was back in the early days of the internet, years before Google was founded, a dark time when Yahoo and AOL were cutting edge), so DBR was a godsend.

Other than ESPN I can't think of any other website I've been consistently reading for 20 years. DBR's always been there for me. I know running a website can be a giant pain in the butt, so I wanted to say thanks from those of us who have been quietly reading all this time. I'm grateful for all you've done, and I'm looking forward to the next 20 years.

moonpie23
04-07-2016, 08:23 AM
absoultely....one of the most used bookmarks in my browser......I've just been "knighted" with y 10th spork, and it feels pret-ty good....

Tommac
04-07-2016, 08:28 AM
I don't post much but I've been lurking since the Juliovision days too. Thanks to the DBR for keeping all things Duke available for the fans.

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 08:31 AM
X . Opk.

Indoor66
04-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Juliovision ROCKED? I love parquet. :cool:

BLPOG
04-07-2016, 09:12 AM
I've been a regular poster for under a year, but I've been reading since the late nineties. I'm not sure there's any other site I've visited so consistently for so long.

weezie
04-07-2016, 10:02 AM
Great fun to be an inmate here!

devildeac
04-07-2016, 10:10 AM
I've been reading and posting since we had to deliver our posts by mastodon (pterodactyl if we could afford the extra postage for airmail) after the ancient symbols were chiseled on stone tablets. Thanks folks.

Henderson
04-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Smartest, cleverest, best-informed, funniest, most high-road sports forum I've encountered.

moonpie23
04-07-2016, 10:22 AM
also, kudos to the mods for their police work........i've been to other boards......this board has "civility"...

speaking of blah blah blah.........where's wheat? has he made an appearance ?

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 10:23 AM
also, kudos to the mods for their police work...i've been to other boards...this board has "civility"...

speaking of blah blah blah....where's wheat? has he made an appearance ?

Wheat had some post-game comments on one of the threads last night (IIRC), I thought he was spot-on and no little jabs. Others' mileage may vary.

weezie
04-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Smartest, cleverest, best-informed, funniest, most high-road sports forum I've encountered.

Best looking ladies post here too. You momentarily forgot...

Henderson
04-07-2016, 10:31 AM
BTW, DBR treats visitors from opposing fans much better than any sports forum I know of, including Wheat's own Inside Carolina.

But Wheat has no reason to stay away. His team went further than ours did this year. If he wants to do a victory dance on that point, I'm OK with that. Because he, like the rest of DBR, engages in civil conversations. It's tricky for a group to have sharp elbows (a good thing) and still be civil (another good thing).

Henderson
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM

So funny you say that. I was just writing out the "You're the best looking poster" cards for all the flowers I'm sending out this afternoon to all DBR female contributors.

Yours is on the top, of course.

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 10:42 AM

I still have the "Ladies of DBR" poster on the wall of the office. For me, it's always 2007.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-07-2016, 10:48 AM
also, kudos to the mods for their police work....i've been to other boards...this board has "civility"...

speaking of blah blah blah.....where's wheat? has he made an appearance ?

This, outside of the community of like-minded, intelligent, attractive, and charming people, is the most impressive part to me. Knowing when and how to step into the fray is a delicate calculation, and our team does it very very well.

Dev11
04-07-2016, 11:15 AM
This is the first Internet forum I've ever participated on, and for some reason they made me a moderator AND let me record my thoughts in audio form to broadcast from their homepage. Forever grateful that I have an outlet to share my Duke thoughts out loud and not to disinterested friends, coworkers, and spurned romantic interests.

hurleyfor3
04-07-2016, 12:14 PM
spurned romantic interests.

I've been friendzoned by this one 60-year-old woman myself...

PackMan97
04-07-2016, 12:35 PM
You guys are more source for ACC news and the daily round ups are much appreciated! I've been visiting the site forever. I've only been a member of the forum since 2007, but I'm sure I was lurking for sometime before that!

Thanks for everything you do for the ACC!

Go Pack :)

OldPhiKap
04-07-2016, 12:43 PM
You guys are more source for ACC news and the daily round ups are much appreciated! I've been visiting the site forever. I've only been a member of the forum since 2007, but I'm sure I was lurking for sometime before that!

Thanks for everything you do for the ACC!

Go Pack :)

And a tip of the hat to PackPride is also appropriate, especially in regard to its outing of UNCheat.

stingy
04-07-2016, 05:27 PM
I remember going to DBR at school in my 11th grade statistics class to find out when we got commitments from Battier, Brand, Avery and Burgess. Going back a long way!