PDA

View Full Version : 16-17 Starters/Rotation speculation... man, with Grayson back this should be fun

scottdude8
04-06-2016, 12:19 PM
With the FANTASTIC news that Grayson is coming back I figured now was a good time to start the designated thread for this conversation (mods, feel free to delete/move/change if this isn't yet the time or place). It sounds as if, barring any major changes, the roster is more or less set with the possible addition of Bolden.

Assuming no surprises and no Bolden (because that might just be too mean to the rest of the college basketball world), what do people think the starting lineup and rotation will look like? My best prediction at the moment would be

Allen
Jones
Tatum
Giles
Jefferson

as the starters. That's a junior and two seniors to go along with the top two freshmen in the country. Then, off the bench you can bring

Thornton
Kennard
Jackson
Jeter
DeLaurier

meaning that even though there isn't a true PG amongst the starters theres a growing sophomore who can come off the bench to fill that role when needed (and possible Jackson can grow into that role too), plus an instant offense, true sixth-man type in Kennard, and a solid developing big man in Jeter.

Someone pinch me. Thoughts?

duke blue brewcrew
04-06-2016, 12:52 PM
With the FANTASTIC news that Grayson is coming back I figured now was a good time to start the designated thread for this conversation (mods, feel free to delete/move/change if this isn't yet the time or place). It sounds as if, barring any major changes, the roster is more or less set with the possible addition of Bolden.

Assuming no surprises and no Bolden (because that might just be too mean to the rest of the college basketball world), what do people think the starting lineup and rotation will look like? My best prediction at the moment would be

Allen
Jones
Tatum
Giles
Jefferson

as the starters. That's a junior and two seniors to go along with the top two freshmen in the country. Then, off the bench you can bring

Thornton
Kennard
Jackson
Jeter
DeLaurier

meaning that even though there isn't a true PG amongst the starters theres a growing sophomore who can come off the bench to fill that role when needed (and possible Jackson can grow into that role too), plus an instant offense, true sixth-man type in Kennard, and a solid developing big man in Jeter.

I agree, having Grayson back as an asset for the back-court is HUGE! That said, the roster is still a bit fluid. Bolden could be a Blue Devil in the near future, which means someone potentially on your list won't be there next season.

erbeard
04-06-2016, 01:08 PM

Allen
Jones
Tatum
Giles
Jefferson

Thornton
Kennard
Jackson
Jeter
DeLaurier

I do think Matt Jones is going to start just because he is a SR. However, my personal opinion is the Thornton gets the start at PG. My ideal line-up looks like this:

Thornton
Allen
Tatum
Jefferson
Giles

Also, dont be surprised if Giles comes off the bench just because of his injury history. He will be eased into the lineup. AND I do think Marques Bolden will end up at Duke.

DallasDevil
04-06-2016, 01:17 PM
I do think Matt Jones is going to start just because he is a SR. However, my personal opinion is the Thornton gets the start at PG. My ideal line-up looks like this:

Thornton
Allen
Tatum
Jefferson
Giles

Also, dont be surprised if Giles comes off the bench just because of his injury history. He will be eased into the lineup. AND I do think Marques Bolden will end up at Duke.

So with Allen back, and the assumption that no other underclassman leaves and Jefferson is granted another year, all scholarships will be filled, correct? Jefferson, Jones, Allen, Obi, Jeter, Thornton, Kennard, Vrank, Tatum, Giles, Jackson, Delaurier, and White make 13. So for us to get Bolden, someone else would need to leave or give up their scholarship.

erbeard
04-06-2016, 01:26 PM
So with Allen back, and the assumption that no other underclassman leaves and Jefferson is granted another year, all scholarships will be filled, correct? Jefferson, Jones, Allen, Obi, Jeter, Thornton, Kennard, Vrank, Tatum, Giles, Jackson, Delaurier, and White make 13. So for us to get Bolden, someone else would need to leave or give up their scholarship.

From my understanding Justin Robinson's scholarship only applied to the 2015-2016 season.

erbeard
04-06-2016, 01:28 PM
From my understanding Justin Robinson's scholarship only applied to the 2015-2016 season.

Ok, never mind I saw that you didn't count Robinson. That's a good question, but I think Coach K will figure something out with Jack White's scholarship if Bolden decided to come.

BLPOG
04-06-2016, 01:29 PM

I could be wrong, but I think Justin Robinson was a "preferred walk-on" this past season. I don't think he had a scholarship.

Mike Corey
04-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Picking a starting lineup with this embarrassment of riches is like picking amongst favorite children. Even though I'm childless, I can't bring myself to suggest Jones should sit, or that Thornton/Jackson should sit.

The only thing I'd suggest is that with Jackson and Thornton on the team, I would be surprised if one of them was not starting by March. Outset of the year is a different question altogether.

DallasDevil
04-06-2016, 01:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I think Justin Robinson was a "preferred walk-on" this past season. I don't think he had a scholarship.

As a preferred walk-on, he was granted a one year scholarship since we had one available: http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2015/05/duke-basketball-gives-full-scholarship-justin-robinson

As noted above, though, I was not including him in the total.

mattman91
04-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Ahhh, tis the season of rosterbation.

As 2015-16 Rosterbation Champion, I'm going to predict multiple redshirts this season. Who will it be? I think White, Delaurier, maybe even a sophomore Vrankovic are all potential redshirt candidates.

There is no way at least one of the 13-14 recruited players does NOT redshirt.

JNort
04-06-2016, 01:44 PM

Thornton
Allen
Tatum
Jefferson
Giles

My ideal lineup would be:

Thornton
Grayson
Matt
Tatum
Amile

With big mins going off the bench to:
Luke
Giles
Jackson
Chase (being more of the 8.5 man if you will)

I'm a big believer in starting SF type guys at the PF spot.

DavidBenAkiva
04-06-2016, 01:45 PM

Thornton
Allen
Tatum
Jefferson
Giles

This makes a lot of sense. We need a point guard and, at the beginning of the season at least, Thornton is that guy. But I could also see Matt Jones getting a starter position with Thornton and Kennard coming into the game quickly.

FWIW, Giles has not played competitive basketball two of the past three seasons. While he may start, I think Tatum is going to see a lot more minutes at the beginning of the year. We could see a lot of minutes with Thornton, Allen, Jones, Tatum, and Jefferson or sub out Kennard for Jones and Jackson for Thornton. Jeter would be the next to get minutes in place of either Jefferson or Giles. I can't imagine, after his improvement late this past season, that he won't be a regular. Who knows what that means for Bolden if he commits.

This is a deeper and more athletic team than Duke has had in a number of years. With the returning talent in the backcourt, I almost expect the team to press, push the tempo, and play man-to-man a lot more than we have seen the past few seasons. Of course, by the end of the year, Coach K will whittle the rotation down to 8 or maybe 9 guys. At the start of the year, though, I really think we will see games with 10+ guys getting at least 10 minutes each.

mattman91
04-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Could a moderate please merge this thread with the "Starting 5 for 2016-17 Season" thread?

CDu
04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Ok, never mind I saw that you didn't count Robinson. That's a good question, but I think Coach K will figure something out with Jack White's scholarship if Bolden decided to come.

I suspect that the staff has a good feel on the availability of scholarships at this time, whether they be freed via White or another player leaving.

Troublemaker
04-06-2016, 01:55 PM
My ideal lineup would be:

Thornton
Grayson
Matt
Tatum
Amile

With big mins going off the bench to:
Luke
Giles
Jackson
Chase (being more of the 8.5 man if you will)

I'm a big believer in starting SF type guys at the PF spot.

As am I. But not when we have Harry Giles, my friend.

erbeard
04-06-2016, 01:55 PM
As a preferred walk-on, he was granted a one year scholarship since we had one available: http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2015/05/duke-basketball-gives-full-scholarship-justin-robinson

As noted above, though, I was not including him in the total.

Yes, I noticed you didn't include him (my fault). BUT, I will say this. If you look at Kentucky, they have the exact same issue we have. In fact, I think they may be over one. Both Duke and Kentucky will have to do some roster shuffling if Bolden decides to commit to either school.

devildeac
04-06-2016, 02:07 PM

As 2015-16 Rosterbation Champion, I'm going to predict multiple redshirts this season. Who will it be? I think White, Delaurier, maybe even a sophomore Vrankovic are all potential redshirt candidates.

Technically though, considering the roster is still not finalized, I guess all this speculation is really just foreplay...

(And congrats to mattman's self (un)official crowning as Rosterbation Champion. I suspect he'll celebrate tonight with a Wicked Weed and/or Green Man brew on the South Slope or in the comfort of his own mancave.)

Well done.

devildeac
04-06-2016, 02:08 PM

Hell, maybe K carries 15 guys and he runs 3 platoons out there :o:rolleyes: .

brlftz
04-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Could a moderate please merge this thread with the "Starting 5 for 2016-17 Season" thread?

seconded

jv001
04-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Hell, maybe K carries 15 guys and he runs 3 platoons out there :o:rolleyes: .

I have to spread sporks so none forth coming at this time. But that was funny. GoDuke!

Kedsy
04-06-2016, 02:20 PM
It sounds as if, barring any major changes, the roster is more or less set with the possible addition of Bolden.

Next season's roster is not finalized. It should be finalized this month.

I would take Jim Sumner's post from the Grayson thread seriously. We don't know exactly what the roster will look like yet.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-06-2016, 02:21 PM

I heard on a premium site that certain player who just announced today he was coming back next season and post-poning the NBA is actually returning next year intending to redshirt.

Or something.

Carry on.

hurleyfor3
04-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Normally I'd merge the two threads, but these are running so simultaneously that it would probably be too confusing.