PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Mr. Ingram

duke4ever19
04-04-2016, 12:03 PM
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/brandon-ingram-duke-goodbye-letter/

Loved this personal touch. Well-spoken and heartfelt.

WiJoe
04-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks kid, for picking the proper shade of blue.

All the best to you!

:cool:

NM Duke Fan
04-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks! You represented Duke with class and pride, while showcasing your growing skills as an all around great player. All the best to you on this next stage of your Journey!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Beautiful, classy announcement. Love that he did it in his own voice, his own way. Say what you will about the OAD era, but this is a damn good kid.

Troublemaker
04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Well, that's a fairly fantastic goodbye letter.

Good luck with your professional career, Brandon. It was a great pleasure watching you at Duke.

Lunchab1es
04-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Great read. Love to see him finishing his classes out this semester, taking them seriously. Loved watching him play the college game.

grossbus
04-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Well done.

Wish we could see you fill out here!

BigZ
04-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Compare that to Simmons walking out on LSU.

Duke79UNLV77
04-04-2016, 12:22 PM

That may be the best one of those I've seen. Fantastic. I look forward to watching BI represent Duke in the NBA for the next 15+ years.

kAzE
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
You're all class, kid. It was a privilege to have you this year. Thanks for everything!!

gurufrisbee
04-04-2016, 12:28 PM
I've never liked players leaving school early and always struggle to really feel like they feel like real Blue Devils to me when I look back on them, but that was a classy letter and I have a lot of respect for Ingram for that.

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Great young man. Gonna miss him.

RepoMan
04-04-2016, 12:36 PM
What a great article!!

Thanks for the memories, and best of luck in the NBA!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Good luck and best wishes for a long and successful NBA career. You're always welcome back in Cameron when you have a chance. :cool: LGD! GTHc!

hudlow
04-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Losing a great player is one thing.

Losing a great young man like Brandon is a whole different loss.

Best of luck Brandon. You'll go far.

Thanks, Hud

MCFinARL
04-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Very nice. Brandon, if by chance you read DBR, thanks for sharing your skills with us for a year, and thanks especially for the grace with which you are taking your departure.

CDu
04-04-2016, 12:42 PM
No surprise that he declared. No surprise that he did so with class. Hopefully he continues to do Duke and himself proud in the NBA!

BeachBlueDevil
04-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Fantastic way to go out. Best of luck Brandon and I'd love to see you team up with Big Jah in Philly.

killerleft
04-04-2016, 12:53 PM
I'm so glad Brandon came to Duke. That letter shows what a classy person he is. Now I'll miss him even more.

dukebluesincebirth
04-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Very nice, Brandon. It's not too often that a born/bred North Carolinian gets to watch a kid from eastern NC play for my beloved Blue Devils, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Kinston raised you right (even that "unc" guy), and you have represented with passion/toughness/class. I have a feeling you'll become a star, and at the same time you won't forget where you came from. Thank you for choosing Duke...you made the right choice!! Best of luck always.

luburch
04-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Wonderful article from an amazing player. Proud he wore the Duke jersey.

Heck, even Derryck's roommate can't spell his name right :)

Dukehky
04-04-2016, 01:11 PM
In other news, water is still wet.

trinity92
04-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Wow, this made me all kinds of proud of our university.

Go Duke!

gumbomoop
04-04-2016, 01:14 PM
What a warm and graceful farewell! I can see that he loves our place, and I understand why he must leave it.

BluDvlsN1
04-04-2016, 01:20 PM
So many well deserved, great comments for a fine young man.

Brandon, your letter was a perfect way to state your intentions and feelings
with depth far beyond your years.

There were so many high points for the year, but the one i go back to when
i think of you is 2/17/16 over there. The W of 74-73 was no simple task.

Yes it is a team game and the team won as a unit. There was an observation of you
after the game, physically exhausted walking back to the team bus. I never forgot nor will forget
the physical effort you contributed in that game, to help achieve that outcome.

To quote an old movie line “ Miles and miles of heart.”

Good luck Brandon

dukelifer
04-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Maybe I am more used to them- but Brandon was my favorite we-knew-it-going-in one-and-done players. He seemed to get better throughout the season and showed a complete game that still is not quite there. Maybe because he is skinny and raw- but there was a kid in him to start the season who matured before our eyes. Just imagine how good he would have been at Duke next year. All the best at the next level.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Worth reading twice.

Best of luck Brandon. You're always part of the family!

bjornolf
04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Awesome, Mr. Ingram. Thanks for a great year. Good luck in the NBA.

devildeac
04-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Classy, classy, classy. I'll forward to my wife who doesn't read/post here (her loss :o ) and I'll let you know if she's able to keep a dry eye.

CameronBlue
04-04-2016, 01:56 PM
A nicely penned letter that I never wanted to read, bittersweet, but mostly sweet. Good luck in the league Brandon, you've served your mission here well and Duke is the better for it.

LGD!!

BD80
04-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Uh oh, sounds like Brandon got special benefits. He got to take a popular public speaking class that usually only seniors can take. That's just like unc, where players take classes that ... wait they don't actually take classes at unc, they just get credit for taking fake classes.

The difference between the programs is absolutely striking. Brandon clearly chose the program best for him.

Thank you to Brandon for being such a good representative of Duke. Fare well.

Indoor66
04-04-2016, 02:12 PM
I was happy when he came; I loved his game and presence here; and now I think I am most proud of his mature, sincere message as he leaves. I wish the young man only success in basketball and in life.

FerryFor50
04-04-2016, 02:55 PM
My favorite part of that letter:

Before he left, Coach K said something that I haven’t forgotten.

“I can only promise you one thing: The next level will be an adjustment. I can’t guarantee that you’ll start for me, but you’ll have a shot.”

That really made an impact on me.

Here was the most famous coach in America saying to a recruit, No guarantees.

At first, this seemed backwards. Shouldn’t he be promising me everything? A lot of other college coaches had suggested, or even promised, that I’d play a certain amount. I’d be their go-to guy. I’d be a big man on campus.

But after he left, I thought more about it, and it started to make sense. I wanted to work for my spot, and he wanted the same thing for me.

kAzE
04-04-2016, 02:58 PM

Damn, BI needs to stop leaking our recruiting secrets :p

weezie
04-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Thank you Brandon! Watching you grow stronger and quicker with each game was a joy.

You are a fine young man and we are proud of you. As they say down south, "Be strong and stay sweet."

wsb3
04-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Wow..What class. Thank you for choosing the correct shade of blue.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Damn, BI needs to stop leaking our recruiting secrets :p

Honest coaches?

Wow..What class. Thank you for choosing the correct shade of blue.

See above.

WillJ
04-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Very nice!

jv001
04-04-2016, 03:41 PM
What a great young man. Brandon demonstrates what all the OAD student athletes should be like. Go to class, be a good student and mingle with the students that don't play sports, be a good team mate and be thankful for the people that got him to where he is. Way to go Brandon! Good luck in the NBA and God bless you young man. GoDuke!

Kedsy
04-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Very impressive letter. Especially for a 19-year-old kid.

dalmatians98
04-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Must be my allergies. I was reading Brandon's farewell letter and suddenly realized my eyes were burning and watering. :)

Many thanks, Brandon, for coming to Duke and for penning such a wonderful farewell letter. I wish you could stay longer, but I understand why you need to move on and I look forward to following your career.

Best of luck, and thank you!

Merlindevildog91
04-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Well-said, young man.

Wishing you all success at the next level, and thank you for the happiness you gave me this season.

moonpie23
04-04-2016, 04:24 PM
thank you, brandon.......we gonna miss you....

heyman25
04-04-2016, 05:12 PM
You're all class, kid. It was a privilege to have you this year. Thanks for everything!!

Great letter. Such a class person.
I will follow Brandon in the NBA.

Devilwin
04-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Nice. Would have loved to see you with Giles and Company, but it is what it is. You're a great person, young man. Thanks for the memories, and all the best in your future endeavors!

wavedukefan70s
04-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Well done that is how you declare and say good bye.B.I. is a better person than he is a player.that is saying a lot.absolutely enjoyed watching this kid play.

jacone21
04-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Must be my allergies. I was reading Brandon's farewell letter and suddenly realized my eyes were burning and watering. :)

Many thanks, Brandon, for coming to Duke and for penning such a wonderful farewell letter. I wish you could stay longer, but I understand why you need to move on and I look forward to following your career.

Best of luck, and thank you!

Yup. Pollen season. It's rough down here too.

Furniture
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Must be my allergies. I was reading Brandon's farewell letter and suddenly realized my eyes were burning and watering!

Yup, I have the same problem. The letter is simply brilliant!

Newton_14
04-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Very impressive letter. Especially for a 19-year-old kid.

Totally agree. We have had several one and dones, but not sure we have ever had one that thoughtful and kind hearted. It was an awesome read. I admire the young man. That was impressive.

Knowing he was a Duke kid the entire way was good for the soul too. We did not steal him. We were his first choice it seems, with his mind made up after the very first visit by K and Staff.

I wish the times were different and we could have kids like this for at least two to three years, but the times change so we love them while we have them, wish them a great career in the NBA, and look forward to the times when they are back on campus during the summers.

Go shine Brandon. Your game and the person you are is going to take you far in life.

jhole
04-04-2016, 08:32 PM
I can deal with OAD as long as it looks like this...I'll be an even bigger Brandon Ingram fan in the NBA because of this letter. Brandon definitely "unpacked his bags" at Duke and that's all we can ask of a player at his elite level and especially in this draft year. Well done!

YmoBeThere
04-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Congratulations Brandon Ingram on a great year of learning and growing. By taking the time to write all this, you are showing character not measured in years. All the best in your future endeavors.

subzero02
04-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Bye Felicia... jk. You will be missed Brandon; good luck as you pursue your dream.

gep
04-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Knowing he was a Duke kid the entire way was good for the soul too. We did not steal him. We were his first choice it seems, with his mind made up after the very first visit by K and Staff.

When I read that part, I was also impressed that he was Duke all the way. But something in the back of my mind has a comment from Brandon that the NCAA investigation / possible sanctions pushed him away from unc...:confused: Obviously could have been someone else. But in any case, he is one classy Duke basketball team member, and, like all of you, I appreciate that he went "all in" and believed in Coach K. No guarantees... how refreshing.

BandAlum83
04-05-2016, 02:01 AM
Mr. Ingram,

You brought tears to the eyes of this 54 yr old Duke graduate. You will do well in life. And when times are tough, and you wonder what to do, re-read that letter and listen to the words of a 19 year old young man who is wise beyond his years.

Thank you for the season you gave us, and come back for your degree. You will still get benefit well beyond the classroom by doing so.

Good luck, young man. Make Duke proud!

CharlestonDave
04-05-2016, 03:34 AM
I totally understand that now basketball is played on a much different level than previously with the recruitment of high school seniors who you know will be in school for only one year. Does that mean I like it , absolutely not.

They just showed a film of Duke winning back to back NCAA titles with the likes of Hurley, Laettner, Lang Etc., all players who were around for 4 years.

Do I have the same feeling for the Ingram, Rivers, Okafor, Parker, Jones, Winslow that I have for the afore-mentioned , absolutely not. Do I wish them well, of course I do , but not with the same enthusiasm that I have for Cook, Plumleee and all the players that stayed for 4 years, so I cannot get so excited as others on this post about Ingram's letter and leaving the way he did.He will put on weight on and if so have a very nice pro career.

As with Rivers, Parker etc. did they go to Duke , of course , but are they Dukies in the same sense as Hurley, Laettner , Reddick , Lang, Cook etc. are , not in my mind .

This is only one person's opinion , and probably a minority one at that, nothing more

eddiehaskell
04-05-2016, 04:37 AM
I totally understand that now basketball is played on a much different level than previously with the recruitment of high school seniors who you know will be in school for only one year. Does that mean I like it , absolutely not.

They just showed a film of Duke winning back to back NCAA titles with the likes of Hurley, Laettner, Lang Etc., all players who were around for 4 years.

Do I have the same feeling for the Ingram, Rivers, Okafor, Parker, Jones, Winslow that I have for the afore-mentioned , absolutely not. Do I wish them well, of course I do , but not with the same enthusiasm that I have for Cook, Plumleee and all the players that stayed for 4 years, so I cannot get so excited as others on this post about Ingram's letter and leaving the way he did.He will put on weight on and if so have a very nice pro career.

As with Rivers, Parker etc. did they go to Duke , of course , but are they Dukies in the same sense as Hurley, Laettner , Reddick , Lang, Cook etc. are , not in my mind .

This is only one person's opinion , and probably a minority one at that, nothing moreI also have a different sort of appreciation for the guys that stay longer. It's hard not to when I've watched them for so long and seen a lot of the ups and downs. A lot of greats pass through, but guys like Hurley, Laettner, JJ and even role players like Marshall and Amile are sort of iconic Dukies to me. I'm sure UNC fans feel the same about the likes of Hansbrough/Montross/Paige/Fox/Lang, etc vs say Marvin Williams. I went to battle with Ingram/Kyrie/Okafor, but fought wars with the 3-4 year players.

BD80
04-05-2016, 08:07 AM
Brandon put more effort into a simple thank you letter than the entire unc 2005 championship team put into all of their classes combined.

Neals384
04-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Brandon put more effort into a simple thank you letter than the entire unc 2005 championship team put into all of their classes combined.

All the more impressive given that he's fron Kinston (a place I know because my sister used to live there) a very tough place to grow up.

camion
04-05-2016, 10:48 AM
I was impressed by the player Brandon Ingram this year. Now I'm equally impressed by the person. Thanks for the year Brandon and good luck.

Li_Duke
04-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Great letter. I love that he made sure to say something about every single one of his teammates, walk-ons included. I loved watching him grow on the court to a mature player ready for the NBA; I'm glad to see that his off court growth has been just as strong. I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes.

AZLA
04-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Wow -- that letter. So what we've learned is that Ingram is a natural observer and a very gifted storyteller/writer. That was probably the coolest adios "letter" I've read in a long time. Bright guy. He really grew into that Duke jersey. I hope that he continues to be a writer when he can, from time-to-time, while in the NBA. Seriously. He's a great ambassador for Kingston and Duke and whatever community welcomes him in the future. Go and be amazing.

AZLA
04-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Wow -- that letter. So what we've learned is that Ingram is a natural observer and a very gifted storyteller/writer. That was probably the coolest adios "letter" I've read in a long time. Bright guy. He really grew into that Duke jersey. I hope that he continues to be a writer when he can, from time-to-time, while in the NBA. Seriously. He's a great ambassador for Kingston and Duke and whatever community welcomes him in the future. Go and be amazing.

Apologies, Kinston NC.

Li_Duke
04-05-2016, 02:19 PM
I've never browsed the playerstribune, but some of the articles on that site are pretty cool. Here are a couple basketball ones I just read:

Shane Battier writing about being a glue guy
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/elite-glue-guys-101/

Damon Stoudamire writing to his younger self
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/damon-stoudamire-nba-letter-to-my-younger-self/

I think I just found a new way to goof off at work...

devildeac
04-05-2016, 02:22 PM
I've never browsed the playerstribune, but some of the articles on that site are pretty cool. Here are a couple basketball ones I just read:

Shane Battier writing about being a glue guy
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/elite-glue-guys-101/

Damon Stoudamire writing to his younger self
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/damon-stoudamire-nba-letter-to-my-younger-self/

I think I just found a new way to goof off at work...

You've got DBR and you need a new way? ;):rolleyes:

Indoor66
04-05-2016, 02:47 PM

I guess the Doctor is in. :cool:

Li_Duke
04-05-2016, 03:17 PM

DBR is good for 4 hours each day, but I need something to fill the other 4. :)

devildeac
04-05-2016, 03:28 PM
DBR is good for 4 hours each day, but I need something to fill the other 4. :)

Excellent point. Time for me to return to work for the next 15-30 minutes :o .

devildeac
04-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I guess the Doctor is in. :cool:

Mostly...

BluDvlsN1
04-05-2016, 08:21 PM
I just saw this and thought DBR would like to see it.
I didn't see it posted here.