PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Daisies anyone?

DevilWolf
10-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Anybody watch it? Thoughts?

BlueDevilBaby
10-04-2007, 12:28 PM
I liked it. Fairly clever. My last thought on it last night was a concern that they can keep it going, which, I guess, is always the issue with TV shows.

pfrduke
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Really liked it. Very quirky, and very visually pleasing (Tim Burton-esque). I've always been a big fan of Chi McBride, and he looks to be in fine form here, and Kristin Chenoweth is extremely talented. I'm worried about its staying power though - I feel like it may be too quirky for casual TV fans.

JasonEvans
10-04-2007, 12:59 PM
My wife hated it-- but she hates Tim Burton and this was extremely Burton-esque.

I liked it a lot. I have the same concerns as everyone else about staying power. I am not sure what it is long-term. Is it a comedy-mystery show? That is not a mix that seems like it will work over the long haul. I am not sure there is anything that will make the audience feel like it needs to watch every week, but that can be developed over the next few weeks... I hope.

Still, I enjoyed the acting a lot and liked the visual style. My wife wanted to know what I liked to which I said... "It was different."

--Jason "I am encouraged and hope it can find an audience" Evans

DevilWolf
10-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I really enjoyed it, but I almost think the creator of the idea should have sold it as a movie and not as a TV show. Agree about it being visually awesome. Very Burton/Cohen brothers-like. Made me love my HDTV even more.

FewFAC
10-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Burton? I was thinking more Wes Andersen does Seussical meets Scarecrow and Mrs. King. The voiceovers and backstory really killed whatever momentum the story had, which wasn't much considering the leading characters are prototypical awkward. I'm not sure how much dead people I can take either.

jkidd31
10-04-2007, 02:22 PM
I liked what I saw of it. I'm in agreement with everyone else on how they can sustain it.

BluDevilGal
10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
I missed the first 5 minutes and a few minutes in the middle. Were we told how he got this ability and when it started? Why won't he touch his neighbor if the only ones he has brought back are the dog and Chuck? Do we know how he accidentally killed Chuck's father or was there only that vague reference to it near the end?

Thanks! Unusual but interesting show. Definitely very Tim Burton.

DevilAlumna
10-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm catching a replay tonight, and am seriously thrown by the fact that the narrator is Jim Dale, the same man who reads/performs the Harry Potter audiobooks.

I keep expecting him to talk about Hagrid, or Duddley Dursley.

JasonEvans
10-06-2007, 07:27 AM
I missed the first 5 minutes and a few minutes in the middle. Were we told how he got this ability and when it started? Why won't he touch his neighbor if the only ones he has brought back are the dog and Chuck? Do we know how he accidentally killed Chuck's father or was there only that vague reference to it near the end?

Thanks! Unusual but interesting show. Definitely very Tim Burton.

Wow!! You missed a ton of key stuff!! I could try to explain it, but you are probably best going here (http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdaisies/index) and clicking on the button in the middle of the page that says "full episodes." ABC streams them for free. Watch the first 5 minutes to understand how Ned came to know about his powers. There is some key stuff in there to help you udnerstand the entire series, I think.

--Jason "I find ABC's streaming player (http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/landing) to be pretty good" Evans

JasonEvans
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Thoughts? Comments?

I loved it. The quirkiness is really growing on me. I don't even mind how stupid the mysteries are (this week's was truly dumb) because I am so enjoying the interraction of the 4 main characters. Heck, even the voiceover is starting to grow on me.

But, I worry about it a lot.

I think we are going to get frustrated and sick of a realtionship where they cannot touch. It is cute and funny at this point, but I fear it is going to get tiresome. It is going to take some crackerjack plotting and writing to keep us happily strung along.

I love that Chuck is so cavallier about Ned not being able to touch her. She should be running away from him so there is no chance he ever touches her, but instead she continues to tempt fate. It is such fun. I must confess, when I saw the rubber glove in the car so they could hold hands, it immediately made me think "wait, they could use a condom!" which then made me think of the famous "body condom" scene in the original Naked Gun movie, which is pretty sick of me.

Anyway, enough of my comments.

--Jason "how long can they keep this going? Will the story hold up a full season? 2 or 3?" Evans

jimsumner
10-12-2007, 02:10 PM
One thing that really bugs me about this show. Woman dies for good if guy touches her. I mean dead, gone, see-no-more. But they are constantly going through the same doorway, sitting at the same table, going all kinds of routine activities in which they are only inches away from DEATH.

I realize the primary plot line is absurd but c'mon. They shouldn't be in the same room let alone in such close proximity.

Bluedawg
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
It’s a non-animated cartoon. I’ve enjoyed it. It has a Desperate Housewives feel to is. Is it by the same people?

Pacer
10-15-2007, 02:10 PM
which then made me think of the famous "body condom" scene in the original Naked Gun movie, which is pretty sick of me.

I'll admit to thinking the same.

Rich
10-17-2007, 04:35 PM
What about the dog??? Have you ever known a dog not to jump on, or run into, its owner? That dog should have been toast years ago!

Jarhead
10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
What is a non-animated cartoon? I would have thought that it would be the Sunday funny papers.

JasonEvans
10-17-2007, 05:32 PM
What about the dog??? Have you ever known a dog not to jump on, or run into, its owner? That dog should have been toast years ago!

Yeah, I can't believe how unrealistic that is for a show about a man who brings dead people back to life with his touch.

;)

--Jason "you gotta just roll with the craziness on this show-- and what a roll it has been so far!" Evans

Bluedawg
10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
What is a non-animated cartoon? I would have thought that it would be the Sunday funny papers.

Isn’t that a great phrase...it is a show, with actors and not drawings, that has the feel and appearance of a cartoon.

riverside6
10-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, I've finished watching the first three episodes online, per Jason's suggestion. So far, so good! From a purely visual standpoint, it is really neat to watch, but so far the storylines have been good as well.

I'm hooked, looking forward to tonight's episode!

One more thing, in episode 1 where the eyepatch kept the aunt from seeing "Chuck", did they have the vision impairment on the wrong side? Something about that had me scratching my head. Did they get it right?