PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, she DIDN'T!

ChrisP
04-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Did anyone catch the crowd shot of the UNC "student" section late in the game last night against Syracuse and see the woman holding up a hand-made sign with a picture of Grayson Allen (and, I think Coach K) with the words, "They couldn't make the TRIP" on it? Get it...GA..."trip". Clever!

Anyway, I saw it and was like, "Seriously? Your team is in the FF with a chance to win a national championship and you're going to take the time to MAKE a sign putting down Duke?" And this was on the heels (see what I did there) of a Facebook friend posting a pic of Ol' Roy giving the thumbs up sign with the words, "Coach K, y'all good? Y'all make it home ok?"

This UNC team is fairly likable but oh, how I loathe that fan base. If Duke were in the FF, the very last thing I'd spend a second thinking about is UNC. I mean, unless I witnessed some egregious act of cheating or something.

OMG, I hope with all my being that Villanova rips their collective hearts out on Monday night and Carolina chokes on all that cake they've been gorging on!

Go Wildcats!!!

Henderson
04-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Did anyone catch the crowd shot of the UNC "student" section late in the game last night against Syracuse and see the woman holding up a hand-made sign with a picture of Grayson Allen (and, I think Coach K) with the words, "They couldn't make the TRIP" on it? Get it...GA..."trip". Clever!

Anyway, I saw it and was like, "Seriously? Your team is in the FF with a chance to win a national championship and you're going to take the time to MAKE a sign putting down Duke?" And this was on the heels (see what I did there) of a Facebook friend posting a pic of Ol' Roy giving the thumbs up sign with the words, "Coach K, y'all good? Y'all make it home ok?"

Gotta let it go, man. They're in the finals and feeling frisky. Let 'em party; it's only right.

If anything, references to Duke should be applauded. They know who their daddy is.

dukelifer
04-03-2016, 08:25 AM

This UNC team is fairly likable but oh, how I loathe that fan base. If Duke were in the FF, the very last thing I'd spend a second thinking about is UNC. I mean, unless I witnessed some egregious act of cheating or something.

OMG, I hope with all my being that Villanova rips their collective hearts out on Monday night and Carolina chokes on all that cake they've been gorging on!

Go Wildcats!!!
There are two kinds of people in the world- those who love Duke basketball and those who don't. This is a clear indication that Duke basketball is always in their heads. They will get to gloat for a little while should they win on Monday. Then they will be back to ripping their coach. If Roy wins on Monday- UNC fans will all have to admit that he was more successful in 13 years in winning championships than Dean was in his entire career. That will be very hard for them.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Meh. They hate Duke, we hate UNcLV. No worries.

Go Wildcats.

YmoBeThere
04-03-2016, 08:38 AM
Fairly likable? Oh no, you didn't!

Everyone knows the rest of the world uses likeable...

NashvilleDevil
04-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Gotta let it go, man. They're in the finals and feeling frisky. Let 'em party; it's only right.

If anything, references to Duke should be applauded. They know who their daddy is.

There is a Carolina grad at the school where I teach. We have a good time ribbing each other during the season and she sent that picture to me. I told her that even with a chance to win the title UNC fans feel inferior to Duke.

slower
04-03-2016, 09:27 AM
I told her that even with a chance to win the title UNC fans feel inferior to Duke.

And this is pretty much the basis for the level of hate we now see. Duke has always been a better academic school, but back in the old days, UNC fans would just say "Dean Smith" or "Michael Jordan" and feel good about themselves. Once K won the back-to-back titles and put Dean in his rear-view mirror, they had nothing. And THAT is when the true mega-hate began, in my experience.

Furniture
04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Was it Faith Suggs?
Apparently she was pictured in a UNC shirt yesterday giving her full support for her boyfriend.
Love knows no boundaries!

DukieTiger
04-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Classless.

rthomas
04-03-2016, 10:14 AM

I'm with Henderson. but I did like the headline on Huffington Post:
Academically Sketchy Program Defeats Academically Sketchy Program, 83-66

ncexnyc
04-03-2016, 11:16 AM
There are two kinds of people in the world- those who love Duke basketball and those who don't. This is a clear indication that Duke basketball is always in their heads. They will get to gloat for a little while should they win on Monday. Then they will be back to ripping their coach. If Roy wins on Monday- UNC fans will all have to admit that he was more successful in 13 years in winning championships than Dean was in his entire career. That will be very hard for them.

You obviously have never visited IC. When Nova implodes on Monday night and turns the ball over 20 times and manages to shoot just 30% from the field for the whole game after playing near flawless ball the whole tournament:( anyone who even suggests Ol' Roy has done a better job than Saint Deano, will be quickly shot down by a number of people who will remind them that the tournament was a whole different beast back then. How did that line from Dirty Dancing go? No one puts Deano in the corner.

weezie
04-03-2016, 11:18 AM
...This UNC team is fairly likable...

I beg to differ.

And Hendo is right, they know who's their papa.

dukelifer
04-03-2016, 11:27 AM
You obviously have never visited IC. When Nova implodes on Monday night and turns the ball over 20 times and manages to shoot just 30% from the field for the whole game after playing near flawless ball the whole tournament:( anyone who even suggests Ol' Roy has done a better job than Saint Deano, will be quickly shot down by a number of people who will remind them that the tournament was a whole different beast back then. How did that line from Dirty Dancing go? No one puts Deano in the corner.

True- but Dean will only have 2 despite having the best talent in the country for years. And the old tourney was not a problem for Wooden. History will not be kind. It will be tough for those old timers to reconcile and laud the new king of Chapel Hill. Even Roy will not be able to handle this new status. If he wins, Roy will now deserve his own arena or statue. Rename the Dean Dome? That would get my vote. The old timers may have to hope that one of Roy's gets vacated- oh but then they will only have 5. So tough to be a Tar Heel fan- and coach.

If UNC wins- this is how I plan to torment my Tar Heel friends.

DukePA
04-03-2016, 11:46 AM
I posted this on CTN in response the game last night:

Right??? Even if they get the death penalty, they will likely have the '16 championship. Given the number of unc athletes on stimulants, does that include the MBB team? Don't know. I wish I could just not care, but I despise the decades of cheating and arrogance. They have definitely tainted the rivalry, but it's hard to let go after more than 40 years of giving a s***. Grrrr. For the record, since the fake classes started in the late 80s, they need to vacate '93, too.

Become irrelevant, Carolina. Become irrelevant.

Furniture
04-03-2016, 12:06 PM
I didn't grow up in this great basketball nation and even though I came to live in the US in 99 I never started watching College basketball until 2009 after my daughter got accepted into Duke so I do not have any UNC hatred in me and its quite funny to watch both fan bases. When it comes to posting about each other I find the same tone/love on both IC and DBR.
Thats my sort of independent view. I have lived in NC for all of the last 16 years and I have many friends who both went to UNC and State and have their kids there. I just don't see the hate only good people!
There is real hatred and rivalry in the UK where a rival fan can easily without thinking put a glass in your face. I love this good natured rival talk. We are really lucky to have it!

OldPhiKap
04-03-2016, 12:47 PM
I didn't grow up in this great basketball nation and even though I came to live in the US in 99 I never started watching College basketball until 2009 after my daughter got accepted into Duke so I do not have any UNC hatred in me and its quite funny to watch both fan bases. When it comes to posting about each other I find the same tone/love on both IC and DBR.
Thats my sort of independent view. I have lived in NC for all of the last 16 years and I have many friends who both went to UNC and State and have their kids there. I just don't see the hate only good people!
There is real hatred and rivalry in the UK where a rival fan can easily without thinking put a glass in your face. I love this good natured rival talk. We are really lucky to have it!

We need basketball hooligans.

Oh wait, we had Maryland. Never mind.

brevity
04-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Anyway, If Duke were in the FF, the very last thing I'd spend a second thinking about is UNC.

Picture this: Charlotte, 1994. The Final Four teams are Arkansas, Duke, Florida, and Arizona. Someone not in the student section (probably an alum) held up a sign that said something like "It's CAPEL and HILL, not CHAPEL HILL." The student section cheered its approval.

That year Duke made it in as a 2 seed, its 7th Final Four in 9 years. UNC was a 1 seed, tasting a repeat title they could win in their home away from home. Instead they struggled against 16 seed Liberty (didn't Liberty briefly have a lead in the second half?) and fell to 9 seed Boston College in the Round of 32.

Having a Final Four in Charlotte with Duke AND without UNC was a big deal, and that sign reflected our amusement perfectly.

I saw the "They Couldn't Make The Trip" sign too. I think it was potentially just as funny as the 1994 sign except (1) to most people, 2016 Duke was not the repeat candidate that 1994 UNC was, and hardly a given to make the Final Four; and (2) the rivalry is less playful at the moment, considering what we now know about that 1994 UNC team.

On DBR, I do not have a reputation of being the best or most knowledgeable on the subject of basketball, but I would consider myself fairly authoritative on the subject of humor. My verdict? The trip sign is harmless, has a lot less bite than the Capel and Hill sign, and is, in my opinion, not a reasonable cause of the amount of outrage most of you are bringing into this thread.

If you care to appeal to a more neutral authority, ask Lon Kruger. He coached in the 1994 AND 2016 Final Fours.

davekay1971
04-03-2016, 01:22 PM
If Roy wins on Monday- UNC fans will all have to admit that he was more successful in 13 years in winning championships than Dean was in his entire career. That will be very hard for them.

Actually, Roy and Dean will be tied at 1 national championship each, on teams played with eligible players. Dean's got his 1982 ring, and Roy will have 2016. Congratulations to both of them. Slow clap...

Of course, I am fervently cheering for 'Nova. The only thing sweeter than UNC losing so close to the title would be UNC losing so close to the title, then seeing at least 2 of their previous titles vacated. Although, to be honest I actually would start to feel a little bad for them in 1993 went bye-bye...to lose 3 titles and one of them having been a Saint Dean title...ouch. Those poor Carolina fans...those Carolina fans...

Oh, those Carolina fans.

Yeah, who am I kidding, I want to see them suffer. Let them lose to Villanova by 1 point or by 50 (doesn't matter, just lose), then have the NCAA burn their records to the ground from 1993 through 2009. And I'll walk around all summer wearing a T-shirt with the numbers 1993, 2005, and 2009 crossed out and tell every Carolina fan I see how much I feel for them missing out on the chance for their first LEGITIMATE national championship since back before Whittenburg passed to Lo Charles for the win.

howardlander
04-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Of course, I am fervently cheering for 'Nova. The only thing sweeter than UNC losing so close to the title would be UNC losing so close to the title, then seeing at least 2 of their previous titles vacated. Although, to be honest I actually would start to feel a little bad for them in 1993 went bye-bye...to lose 3 titles and one of them having been a Saint Dean title...ouch. Those poor Carolina fans...those Carolina fans...

Oh, those Carolina fans.

Yeah, who am I kidding, I want to see them suffer. Let them lose to Villanova by 1 point or by 50 (doesn't matter, just lose), then have the NCAA burn their records to the ground from 1993 through 2009. And I'll walk around all summer wearing a T-shirt with the numbers 1993, 2005, and 2009 crossed out and tell every Carolina fan I see how much I feel for them missing out on the chance for their first LEGITIMATE national championship since back before Whittenburg passed to Lo Charles for the win.

I get this but to tell the truth I don't care much if they win or lose. They are the cheaters and they are irrelevant. Sad to say but I have become indifferent...

Howard

Newton_14
04-03-2016, 02:29 PM

So honest question. On IC, our coach is referred to as a rodent, and there is much hate speech directed at our players. I don't see anything of that sort on this board. Yes we love "Ol Roy" and give him heck for his comments and his coaching decisions, but there is no vile, direct, personal hate speech toward Roy here. Nor is there hate speech here directed at their players. We critique their playing ability yes. No one takes personal, mean spirited attacks on their players here. We hammer them for the 20 year cheating scandal (as we should until penance is paid).

Heck there is more hate speech toward Ol roy and unc players on IC than there is here, which isn't hard because you don't see any of that here, but those guys trash thfeir coach and players all the time.

Even the Go To Hell Carolina thing and the thread that gets put up before each duke/unc game is more symbolism than anything else. I doubt anyone here actually wants anyone over there to go to Hell when they die.

DBR is not even close to IC and if it were, then the mod team would be failing at our jobs.

My two cents... (which used to could buy bubble gum but no longer can) :)

I will add this as a PS, having been to Duke/Unc Football games at WW (where they normally out number us) and to the Duke/Lehigh NCAA TOurney game in Greensboro with 18K unc fans in the building, I can honestly say I have never seen our fans treat there fans the way they treated us in those venues. The Duke/Lehigh game especially. Ask DU82 or anyone else in the building that night what it was like to go through the ticket line before the game started, and then what it was like walking out of the stadium after the loss.

devildeac
04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
So honest question. On IC, our coach is referred to as a rodent, and there is much hate speech directed at our players. I don't see anything of that sort on this board. Yes we love "Ol Roy" and give him heck for his comments and his coaching decisions, but there is no vile, direct, personal hate speech toward Roy here. Nor is there hate speech here directed at their players. We critique their playing ability yes. No one takes personal, mean spirited attacks on their players here. We hammer them for the 20 year cheating scandal (as we should until penance is paid).

Heck there is more hate speech toward Ol roy and unc players on IC than there is here, which isn't hard because you don't see any of that here, but those guys trash thfeir coach and players all the time.

Even the Go To Hell Carolina thing and the thread that gets put up before each duke/unc game is more symbolism than anything else. I doubt anyone here actually wants anyone over there to go to Hell when they die.

DBR is not even close to IC and if it were, then the mod team would be failing at our jobs.

I will add this as a PS, having been to Duke/Unc Football games at WW (where they normally out number us) and to the Duke/Lehigh NCAA TOurney game in Greensboro with 18K unc fans in the building, I can honestly say I have never seen our fans treat there fans the way they treated us in those venues. The Duke/Lehigh game especially. Ask DU82 or anyone else in the building that night what it was like to go through the ticket line before the game started, and then what it was like walking out of the stadium after the loss.

Good summary. However, as to the bolded statement above, I (think I) can name (at least) 4:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36198-Congratulations-to-your-Mt-Hatemore-representatives!&highlight=hatemore

Unless, of course, they repent...

:o

DukeFanSince1990
04-03-2016, 02:52 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Willie Nelson......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPYQ-FmQB4

madscavenger
04-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Lets see, there were:

The guys in striped shirts,
The Orange Jumpsuits, and
Those Awaiting the Hammer.

Looked like the Jets and the Sharks peering through burglar bars to me.

WakeDevil
04-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Syracuse sign from last night:

"If I took fake classes I'd have 19 Final Four appearances too."

Then there is the tweet from Bubba. (No, not the one from Arkansas.) Seems he posted a pic sent from Chapel Hill showing the postgame celebration, only the evidence is that it's from another celebration because one of the businesses shown is no longer there.

DU82
04-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Picture this: Charlotte, 1994. The Final Four teams are Arkansas, Duke, Florida, and Arizona. Someone not in the student section (probably an alum) held up a sign that said something like "It's CAPEL and HILL, not CHAPEL HILL." The student section cheered its approval.

Mrs. -jk says hi and I'm sure she says thanks for the reference.

(And the arena staff took the sign away almost immediately.)

hsheffield
04-03-2016, 05:14 PM
given their longstanding history of cheating, it seems beneath us to be concerned about them in any way

UNC hasn't legitimately won anything in basketball for more than 25 years...

Henderson
04-03-2016, 06:07 PM
given their longstanding history of cheating, it seems beneath us to be concerned about them in any way

UNC hasn't legitimately won anything in basketball for more than 25 years...

You almost had it. You had the thought in your head. "Beneath us to be concerned in any way; beneath us to be concerned in any way."

But you just couldn't resist posting. Doh!!

Get the irony?

Furniture
04-03-2016, 11:29 PM

Come one Newton. I really can't take calling K a rodent seriously. I think Duke is among the best. If you are the best you have to expect the name calling and the attacks. Would you have it any other way?
As I said I have only really been into BB since 2009/10 so this is the first time I have seen UNC doing so well. Even if the "hate" speech is not there (you mods do a fine job I admit) the amount of paranoia, thread after thread, about them possibly winning is crazy.
I think Duke fans and this board have to be better. I love K and I always imagine how he would be thinking at times like this. I am fairly certain he is thinking. UNC, good team, well done. Next play!
Cheers and thanks for being part of this great DBR board!

Henderson
04-04-2016, 12:05 AM
See, I think both this board and IC have it all wrong on the "rat" thing.

When K was first hired, there was something kinda funny looking about him -- you know, just kinda funny looking. It took me two years to realize it: His face does kind of look like a rat's face. So what do I care? I'm sure I look like something too, and at least Coach K gets the front end of the rat.

5 natty's later, I'm definitely good with K's rat thing. F that, I like it. I've never had a problem with rats. Or Coach K. Res ipsa loquitur.

Let IC have fun with it in between all their "Ol Roy must be fired" threads. I say we embrace it, the way Triumph Motorcycle has. Their owner's group is called the "Rat Pack"
or something like this.

"Hey, UNC-CH: You can kiss my rat's ash"

Looks like a T-shirt.

Don't fight it. Own it.

Rats? Hell yeah.

Skitzle
04-04-2016, 04:06 AM

Bolded Statement:

1) Sean May - McDonalds
2) Tyler Hansbrough - Derp Derp Derp Derp
3) Danny Green - Nuff Said
4) Harrison Barnes - It's all about my Brand

Go back more you'll find all other things. We're not above hatin' on 20 year olds.. Sorry Newton

royalblue
04-04-2016, 10:38 AM
See, I think both this board and IC have it all wrong on the "rat" thing.

When K was first hired, there was something kinda funny looking about him -- you know, just kinda funny looking. It took me two years to realize it: His face does kind of look like a rat's face. So what do I care? I'm sure I look like something too, and at least Coach K gets the front end of the rat.

5 natty's later, I'm definitely good with K's rat thing. F that, I like it. I've never had a problem with rats. Or Coach K. Res ipsa loquitur.

Let IC have fun with it in between all their "Ol Roy must be fired" threads. I say we embrace it, the way Triumph Motorcycle has. Their owner's group is called the "Rat Pack"
or something like this.

"Hey, UNC-CH: You can kiss my rat's ash"

Looks like a T-shirt.

Don't fight it. Own it.

Rats? Hell yeah.

I'm with you!!

I've always thought he was a Rat that had been gnawing through the hearts of cheat fans for all these years.

Rats 11 of 15
Duke wins again

Thanks State fans for Ratting out the Heels

A good prank would be to get one of those many banners that could be removed soon and have several rats chewing it up.

Hoping to be motivated to play "Rat Scratch Fever" at maxed out volume about 11:30 this eve.

Roy should have said 13 years ago I don't give a rats @ss about carolina right now

If Nova wins
I'll be alrat tonight

kAzE
04-04-2016, 10:55 AM
This is their first Final 4 in seven years. We've won 2 national championship in that period of time. We are going to mop the floor with their faces next year home and away. This is their only chance to gloat. Can't wait to see their faces after they lose to Villanova.

Tom B.
04-04-2016, 12:37 PM

That year Duke made it in as a 2 seed, its 7th Final Four in 9 years. UNC was a 1 seed, tasting a repeat title they could win in their home away from home. Instead they struggled against 16 seed Liberty (didn't Liberty briefly have a lead in the second half?) and fell to 9 seed Boston College in the Round of 32.

Still one of my favorite Sports Illustrated covers ever.

Jeffrey
04-04-2016, 12:57 PM
The trip sign is harmless, has a lot less bite than the Capel and Hill sign, and is, in my opinion, not a reasonable cause of the amount of outrage most of you are bringing into this thread.

Are you kidding me, the sign was horrendous! The outrage should continue for days and days!

G man
04-04-2016, 02:25 PM

This is so true. A good friend of mine is a big ku fan. I have been telling him for years they would be more successful in a conference where they are challenged regularly. Duke having the cheaters keeps both programs working hard and relevant. You need someone pushing you to be the best.