PDA

View Full Version : Duke Hoops Team Under Investigation-AP

devildeac
03-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Uh-oh:

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/duke-mens-basketball-now-under-investigation.9702/

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Uh-oh:

https://duke.forums.rivals.com/threads/duke-mens-basketball-now-under-investigation.9702/

Did not expect this report until Friday.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Did not expect this report until Friday.

Hot off an email forward. Couldn't wait until Friday to break this news. Sad stuff.

weezie
03-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the evening wave of shock. I'm reaching through the screen to throttle you dd!

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Hot off an email forward. Couldn't wait until Friday to break this news. Sad stuff.

Yup. I bet this scuttles any chance we had of recruiting Sidd Finch. Damn.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the evening wave of shock. I'm reaching through the screen to throttle you dd!

Drumming up business in the cardiac ward, again.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 09:33 PM

Too old, too slow anyway.

dukelifer
03-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Uh-oh:

Just a matter of time. I wonder if this means K will think about retiring sooner than later.

Pghdukie
03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
Another round of Attorney fees, sanctions, paper dumps, countless hours of Nancy Grace interviewing Gottlieb. It's MADNESS I say. Shear MADNESS. Will it end up as another 30 for 30 program. Tuition will skyrocket just to cover the costs.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Another round of Attorney fees, sanctions, paper dumps, countless hours of Nancy Grace interviewing Gottlieb. It's MADNESS I say. Shear MADNESS. Will it end up as another 30 for 30 program. Tuition will skyrocket just to cover the costs.

I blame Broadhead.

DukieInKansas
03-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Uh-oh:

Should I take this opportunity to flame you in retribution for the accidental flame you gave me a long time ago?

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:54 PM
Should I take this opportunity to flame you in retribution for the accidental flame you gave me a long time ago?

Not to take sides, but -- yes, obviously.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 09:55 PM

I could have sworn we got -jk to reverse that. :o

But I've made it up to you many, many times. I hope.

Wow. What a memory. :(

DukieInKansas
03-29-2016, 10:46 PM
I could have sworn we got -jk to reverse that. :o

But I've made it up to you many, many times. I hope.

Wow. What a memory. :(

And because you have been good to me, I didn't flame you. Might actually have to spork you for this one - if I've spread enough love around.

DukeTrinity11
03-30-2016, 01:34 AM
Well played sir, well played!

All jokes aside, is Grayson Allen really a prospective Physics major? I read somewhere that he was the Sal at his HS, took a bunch of AP classes, got a really high SAT score and would be an above average candidate academically for the Ivies, Duke, Stanford, MIT, etc. even if he never played basketball. Would be crazy if thats true!

Who was the last D1 Basketball and Football player that you all can recall with these sort of academic chops? Bill Bradley maybe?

subzero02
03-30-2016, 01:59 AM

All jokes aside, is Grayson Allen really a prospective Physics major? I read somewhere that he was the Sal at his HS, took a bunch of AP classes, got a really high SAT score and would be an above average candidate academically for the Ivies, Duke, Stanford, MIT, etc. even if he never played basketball. Would be crazy if thats true!

Who was the last D1 Basketball and Football player that you all can recall with these sort of academic chops? Bill Bradley maybe?

Langdon, Horvath and Batter were strong students... Dunleavy and Jwill weren't slouches... Sulaiman was in TIP

TKG
03-30-2016, 05:54 AM
Uh-oh:

I don't love you....anymore!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-30-2016, 06:06 AM
I don't love you...anymore!
With devildeac as thread starter, I knew he had to be messing with us.

plimnko
03-30-2016, 06:35 AM
I felt like a Carolina fan for a second.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-30-2016, 06:44 AM
That must have been awful. Did you slap yourself hard in the face to remind yourself everything was okay and the world had not ended?

TKG
03-30-2016, 06:52 AM

Devildeac can cure that!

luburch
03-30-2016, 07:02 AM
"This is only an academic issue"

dukelifer
03-30-2016, 07:09 AM

I am sure there have been many. Here is one that just made the news. Penn State grad John Urschel the 6’3”, 305-pound offensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens will begin a PhD in mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology this year. He will study spectral graph theory, numerical linear algebra, and machine learning.

jv001
03-30-2016, 07:13 AM
I wonder what the chances are that ESPN would run that across the bottom of millions of TVs on Friday? Naw, they can't bring themselves to do that to their beloved team(Cheats). Way to go devildeac. Sporks if permitted. GoDuke!

As expected must spread more sporks around. :cool: To you devildeac a GoDuke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wsb3
03-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Don't do this. My nerves are raw enough as it is with the thought that the Cheats are going to win a NC..:(

Tappan Zee Devil
03-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Jay Buckley, who was the starting center for some of the great Bubas teams at Duke, went on to get a Ph.D. in physics

MChambers
03-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Figured it probably had something to do with Duke's attempt to recruit Ivan Renko.

vfefrenzy
03-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Joshua Dobbs, current QB at Tennessee is an aerospace engineer. It gets brought up slightly less often than Ryan Fitzpatrick going to Harvard or Tom Brady being a 6th round pick.

MCFinARL
03-30-2016, 08:57 AM

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he was planning to major in Psychology. But the Duke sports website no longer lists majors for the men's basketball team, at least that I could find. In any case I suspect the physics major idea is made up.

aimo
03-30-2016, 09:03 AM
You scared the crap out of me. WAY too early for that.

devildeac
03-30-2016, 09:09 AM
You scared the crap out of me. WAY too early for that.

Just wait to see what you get to read Friday...

;)

sagegrouse
03-30-2016, 09:20 AM

IIRC Nick Horvath was a joint physics and literature major.

Jay Buckley was magna cum laude at Duke in physics and got a PhD at Hopkins

Here's the list of Duke Academic A-A from the Duke Basketball Media Guide:

Jay Buckley 1963
Jay Buckley 1964
Dick DeVenzio 1971
Gary Melchionni (2nd) 1972
Bob Fleischer (2nd) 1974
Bob Fleischer 1975
Mike Gminski (1st) 1978
Jim Spanarkel (1st) 1978
Mike Gminski (1st) 1979
Jim Spanarkel (1st) 1979
Mike Gminski 1980
Quin Snyder (2nd) 1989
Shane Battier (1st) 2000
Shane Battier (1st) 2001
Mike Dunleavy (2nd) 2002
Greg Paulus (3rd) 2008
Greg Paulus (3rd) 2009
Mason Plumlee (1st) 2012
Mason Plumlee (1st) 2013
Grayson Allen (1st) 2016

Moreover, there's a lot of basketball talent on that list. We should note the two-time 1st teamers:

Buckley, Gminski, Spanarkel, Battier, Mason Plumlee

miramar
03-30-2016, 09:48 AM
We could force all student athletes to take one paper class per semester from now on.

ramdevil
03-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Heart attack city.

But don't read the comments underneath!!

ramdevil

wilson
03-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Penn State grad John Urschel the 6’3”, 305-pound offensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens will begin a PhD in mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology this year. He will study spectral graph theory, numerical linear algebra, and machine learning.

Jay Buckley, who was the starting center for some of the great Bubas teams at Duke, went on to get a Ph.D. in physics

Joshua Dobbs, current QB at Tennessee is an aerospace engineer. It gets brought up slightly less often than Ryan Fitzpatrick going to Harvard or Tom Brady being a 6th round pick.Myron Rolle started at safety for Florida State, graduated with pre-med requirements and a degree in exercise science in 2.5 years, delayed the NFL for a year because he had a Rhodes Scholarship conflict, and later left the NFL to enroll in medical school.

Indoor66
03-30-2016, 10:07 AM
We could force all student athletes to take one paper class per semester from now on.

If you want to inflict true punishment, make out team tutor their team! :mad: :cool:

MCFinARL
03-30-2016, 10:48 AM
Langdon, Horvath and Batter were strong students... Dunleavy and Jwill weren't slouches... Sulaiman was in TIP

I think Andre Dawkins came to Duke with a lot of AP credits, as did Ryan Kelly. And in a story on the Duke website today, they list the six Duke players who have been All-American and Academic All-American in the same year: Gminski, Spanarkel, Battier, Dunleavy, Mason Plumlee (how soon we forget), Grayson Allen. {note: I have since seen that someone else already noted this but I'll post anyway to include the link (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210843904&DB_OEM_ID=4200), which also confirms that Grayson is a psychology major.}

DukieInKansas
03-30-2016, 10:49 AM
If you want to inflict true punishment, make out team tutor their team! :mad: :cool:

So not fair to our team!

DukePA
03-30-2016, 01:06 PM

Darrell Spells, Duke Football '90? PhD Organic- freaking- chemistry!

devildeac
03-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Darrell Spells, Duke Football '90? PhD Organic- freaking- chemistry!

My brother. And our other brother, Larry. Somewhere on DBR there is a photo of Darrell, Daryl and Larry. Sporks if anyone can locate/post it.

Pghdukie
03-30-2016, 01:39 PM
I can't recall, who was the student/athlete that gave up a potential pro career to study at Oxford ? This was just within the last 5yrs or so.

pfrduke
03-30-2016, 02:15 PM
I can't recall, who was the student/athlete that gave up a potential pro career to study at Oxford ? This was just within the last 5yrs or so.

You may be thinking of Florida State cornerback Myron Rolle, who was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/2/12/5401774/myron-rolle-profile-florida-state-football-nfl-rhodes-scholar

devildeac
03-30-2016, 02:23 PM

"I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn’t have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

OldPhiKap
03-30-2016, 02:27 PM
"I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn’t have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN’T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!"

But DinK had to use her last favors with mad Pete Trullo to get that reversed.

Merlindevildog91
03-30-2016, 02:27 PM
My brother. And our other brother, Larry. Somewhere on DBR there is a photo of Darrell, Daryl and Larry. Sporks if anyone can locate/post it.

You mean this one?

devildeac
03-30-2016, 02:38 PM
But DinK had to use her last favors with mad Pete Trullo to get that reversed.

There may be some truth to that but on this occasion, I initiated/begged/pleaded/cajoled/bribed/extorted a certain initialed mod whose two letters and hyphen will remain unnamed for his mercy/adjudication/redaction of said flames. Thank you very much. (blows almost-loving kiss in general southward direction from Triangle area). ;)

devildeac
03-30-2016, 02:41 PM

You mean this one?

That's it! Darrell, Daryl and Larry: identical triplets/twins/brothers/strangers in the night.

(Sporks when allowed to again. Soon. Promised.)

DukieInKansas
03-30-2016, 03:22 PM
There may be some truth to that but on this occasion, I initiated/begged/pleaded/cajoled/bribed/extorted a certain initialed mod whose two letters and hyphen will remain unnamed for his mercy/adjudication/redaction of said flames. Thank you very much. (blows almost-loving kiss in general southward direction from Triangle area). ;)

And I never would have known if you hadn't 'fessed up! ;)

That's it! Darrell, Daryl and Larry: identical triplets/twins/brothers/strangers in the night.

(Sporks when allowed to again. Soon. Promised.)

Sporked her for you. :D

Merlindevildog91
03-30-2016, 03:49 PM
And I never would have known if you hadn't 'fessed up! ;)

Sporked her for you. :D

Thank you!

At the moment I am too monogamous to spork either of you. Now that Lent is over, I will have to change my ways.

Reddevil
03-30-2016, 03:58 PM
that a group of pugs is called a grumble?
For some reason this thread made me think of that.:rolleyes:

Jim3k
03-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Leave us not forget Dr. Taymon Domzalski.

May not have been an Academic AA, but was certainly a fine student.

Pghdukie
03-30-2016, 08:18 PM
You may be thinking of Florida State cornerback Myron Rolle, who was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/2/12/5401774/myron-rolle-profile-florida-state-football-nfl-rhodes-scholar

Thanks, I just couldn't remember.

Indoor66
03-31-2016, 07:36 AM

I'll throw in another: Shaquille O'Neal has an earned PhD from Barry University in Miami (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/05/shaquille-oneal-earns-doctorate-degree/) as well as his Bachelors and Masters - all earned after leaving LSU as a Sophomore.

jipops
03-31-2016, 08:00 AM
I'll throw in another: Shaquille O'Neal has an earned PhD from Barry University in Miami (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/05/shaquille-oneal-earns-doctorate-degree/) as well as his Bachelors and Masters - all earned after leaving LSU as a Sophomore.

Shaq was at LSU for 3 years.

nocilla
03-31-2016, 08:15 AM
Let's not forget our most recent potential neurosurgeon;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/04/29/laken-tomlinson-duke-nfl-draft-neurosurgeon/26607285/

Henderson
03-31-2016, 10:01 AM

There is another. Follow the Grapefruit League.

DukePA
03-31-2016, 11:06 AM
Duke Women's Basketball- Georgia Schweitzer, MD surgeon; Emily Waner, MD; Krista Gingrich, PA. Not too shabby :)