PDA

View Full Version : Cinder Block Measurements

Henderson
03-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Where did that come from?

I think it was this board. And I think it was OPK. But I'm old.

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2016, 03:52 PM

I think it was this board. And I think it was OPK.
OPK's probably been responsible for lots of mischief.

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 04:02 PM
I am hurt that everyone doesn't remember that it was me... OldNavy that developed the cinderblock measurement system. It probably the most valuable contribution I have made to the forum by far!

It was first used to determine a recruit's (long forgotten who it was) wingspan as he was standing in front of a cinderblock wall with his arms spread out and holding a basketball in one hand.

I simply looked at how many cinderblocks his reach covered, made a couple of calculations based on my extensive knowledge of the American cinderblock and determined the dude had a freakin long wingspan.

The rest is history as they say!

CDu
03-29-2016, 04:03 PM

There was a recruit who ultimately went to (I think Georgetown) who took a picture in front of a gym wall made of cinder blocks holding two basketballs out to either side parallel to the ground. Folks seemed to have real trouble with depth perception and struggled in attempts to measure his wingspan by counting the cinder blocks.

COYS
03-29-2016, 04:04 PM
I am hurt that everyone doesn't remember that it was me... OldNavy that developed the cinderblock measurement system. It probably the most valuable contribution I have made to the forum by far!

It was first used to determine a recruit's (long forgotten who it was) wingspan as he was standing in front of a cinderblock wall with his arms spread out and holding a basketball in one hand.

I simply looked at how many cinderblocks his reach covered, made a couple of calculations based on my extensive knowledge of the American cinderblock and determined the dude had a freakin long wingspan.

Was it ______Adams who ended up going to Georgetown? Tyler Adams maybe?

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 04:04 PM
There was a recruit who ultimately went to Georgetown who took a picture in front of a gym wall made of cinder blocks holding two basketballs out to either side parallel to the ground. Folks seemed to have real trouble with depth perception and struggled in attempts to measure his wingspan by counting the cinder blocks.

Well, that and it was taken seriously when it was intended as a joke.

CDu
03-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Was it ______Adams who ended up going to Georgetown? Tyler Adams maybe?

It was indeed Tyler Adams.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Yup, would love to claim it but OldNavy gets the cred. (And that was not your most important contribution BTW -- it's Roy dancing in a top hat as your avitar).

Thank you both. I think.

ChillinDuke
03-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Was it this picture?

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/843786/24766_692228446847_36610711_38994310_6440236_n.jpg

- Chillin

PS - I had not realized that Tyler's career ended only 4 games in at Georgetown due to a heart disorder. Sad to hear it.

MChambers
03-29-2016, 04:27 PM
That's the picture, I think. And it was sad how brief Adams's career was.

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Was it this picture?

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/843786/24766_692228446847_36610711_38994310_6440236_n.jpg

- Chillin

PS - I had not realized that Tyler's career ended only 4 games in at Georgetown due to a heart disorder. Sad to hear it.

That is the one... see he has about a 7.5 cinderblock span which I believe I calculated out to be almost 8 feet or so... truly amazing!

superdave
03-29-2016, 04:44 PM
If only we had Nick Horvath standing in front of a cinder block wall when he looked all jacked up in the team photo....

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=2001-02

weezie
03-29-2016, 04:52 PM
There was a recruit who ultimately went to (I think Georgetown)...

Speaking of Gtown, I wonder if JT3's job is a lifetime appointment?

devildeac
03-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Speaking of Gtown, I wonder if JT3's job is a lifetime appointment?

Maybe not. They could always look at Capel. Or Amaker. Or not.

:o:p

MChambers
03-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Here's the seminal post on the cinder block topic:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21108-Tyler-Adams-to-Georgetown&p=402874#post402874

Selover
03-29-2016, 05:17 PM
If only we had Nick Horvath standing in front of a cinder block wall when he looked all jacked up in the team photo...

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=2001-02

Gosh I miss these uniforms.

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 05:20 PM

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21108-Tyler-Adams-to-Georgetown&p=402874#post402874

That was my Mona Lisa! ;)

Roy in that stupid hat is a close second.... what a freakin dufuss!

devildeac
03-29-2016, 05:35 PM
That is the one... see he has about a 7.5 cinderblock span which I believe I calculated out to be almost 8 feet or so... truly amazing!

Are you measuring with American cinderblocks or European cinderblocks?

"Concrete blocks may be produced with hollow centers (cores) to reduce weight or improve insulation. The use of blockwork allows structures to be built in the traditional masonry style with layers (or courses) of staggered blocks. Blocks come in many sizes. In the US, the most common nominal size is 16 in × 8 in × 8 in (410 mm × 200 mm × 200 mm); the block measures a 3/8 in shorter, allowing for mortar joints. In Ireland and the UK, blocks are usually 440 mm × 215 mm × 100 mm (17.3 in × 8.5 in × 3.9 in) excluding mortar joints. In New Zealand and Canada, blocks are usually 390 mm × 190 mm × 190 mm (15.4 in × 7.5 in × 7.5 in) excluding mortar joints."

And, yes, I seek the grail...

;)

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 05:39 PM

"Concrete blocks may be produced with hollow centers (cores) to reduce weight or improve insulation. The use of blockwork allows structures to be built in the traditional masonry style with layers (or courses) of staggered blocks. Blocks come in many sizes. In the US, the most common nominal size is 16 in × 8 in × 8 in (410 mm × 200 mm × 200 mm); the block measures a 3/8 in shorter, allowing for mortar joints. In Ireland and the UK, blocks are usually 440 mm × 215 mm × 100 mm (17.3 in × 8.5 in × 3.9 in) excluding mortar joints. In New Zealand and Canada, blocks are usually 390 mm × 190 mm × 190 mm (15.4 in × 7.5 in × 7.5 in) excluding mortar joints."

And, yes, I seek the grail...

;)

American of course!!

When I was in school, we were told that the US would be on the metric system in 10 years... that was 45 years ago and I still don't know how long a meter is.... nor do I really care.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 05:50 PM

Must be American, otherwise his name would be HerMajesty'sOldRoyalNavy. With extra "u"s thrown in randomly.

And Roy would be a dancing newt.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Must be American, otherwise his name would be HerMajesty'sOldRoyalNavy. With extra "u"s thrown in randomly.

But roy got better. Or did he?

;)

Indoor66
03-29-2016, 06:07 PM

And if you review post 14 4 in that thread you will find my post introducing the concern for accurately considering the cement thickness between the blocks - thus explaining the origin of that aspect of the measuring system. :)

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 06:32 PM

Probably?

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Probably?

to be fair, there are a lot of co-conspirators who deserve credit. I'm really just the pretty face.

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 06:41 PM
And if you review post 14 4 in that thread you will find my post introducing the concern for accurately considering the cement thickness between the blocks - thus explaining the origin of that aspect of the measuring system. :)

Thanks, many DBR threads have been derailed by the introduction of intelligent thought.

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 06:45 PM
to be fair, there are a lot of co-conspirators who deserve credit. I'm really just the pretty face.

-Robert Redford, in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 06:52 PM
-Robert Redford, in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?

More like Steve Buscemi in Fargo instead of the goofy-looking one.

NSDukeFan
03-29-2016, 08:54 PM
American of course!!

When I was in school, we were told that the US would be on the metric system in 10 years... that was 45 years ago and I still don't know how long a meter is... nor do I really care.
100 centimetres

Only between random o's and r's

dukelifer
03-29-2016, 10:05 PM

I see that the original cinder block estimate by eye of 8 feet was immediately challenged by CDu and myself. I just looked at Draft express and they had him at 7' 1" close to CDu guess and a bit smaller than my eyeball of the cinder blocks of 7' 4"..

Neals384
03-29-2016, 11:34 PM
American of course!!

When I was in school, we were told that the US would be on the metric system in 10 years... that was 45 years ago and I still don't know how long a meter is... nor do I really care.

Somehow, saying you have a 2.13 meter tall player on the team doesn't have quite the pzazz as saying you have a 7-footer.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Somehow, saying you have a 2.13 meter tall player on the team doesn't have quite the pzazz as saying you have a 7-footer.

But you should see my time in the 40 meter dash.

devildeac
03-30-2016, 07:42 AM
But you should see my time in the 40 meter dash.

Measured like mine? With a sundial?

oldnavy
03-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Measured like mine? With a sundial?

Or measured like mine with the number of pulled muscles and weeks in rehab!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2016, 02:21 PM
I always find it amusing when they discuss a player's disproportionate wingspan. They have mentioned it a TON in Duke games this year because of Ingram. Everytime they do it though, my brain inverts the scenario for giggles. For instance...

"And onto the court comes Mtn.Devil... he hasn't seen much playing time this year, and it's easy to see why."

"That's right Len, Mtn.Devil is an absolute physical freak. While he would make a decent PG at 5'11, he has an amazing 4 foot three inch wingspan that makes him wildly ineffective."

"Indeed - he looks like a pasty little t-rec out there."

But hey, that's just how my mind works.

Begun, the offseason has.

Henderson
03-30-2016, 02:25 PM

100 centimetres

The trick about learning the metric system is remembering that 1 meter = .546807 fathoms.

The rest just kind of falls into place after that.

UrinalCake
03-30-2016, 04:37 PM
That cinderblock conversation was EPIC, and I'm so glad the term has stuck around all these years. I remember being really disappointed when Adams decommitted; that was during a stretch where we had missed out on so many big men recruits and he seemed like a guy who could break that streak.