PDA

View Full Version : Spike Albrecht to Grad Transfer

scottdude8
03-29-2016, 11:11 AM
That's right, the (near) hero of the 2013 National Title game, the 5-foot-nothing skinny kid who probably still doesn't shave yet scored 17 points in the first half on the biggest stage of the country as a freshman off the bench (not to mention helped lead his team to a B1G title the next year and had an insane assist/TO ratio as the starting point guard for most of his junior year) is looking for a grad transfer. For those who don't follow U of M sports, Spike has had problems with both hips throughout his career, and took the entire year off to focus on surgery and rehab. He originally said he was "retiring" from basketball because the injury was so debilitating, but apparently he's made enough progress to want to get one more year of college basketball in... and it can't be at Michigan because of a scholarship crunch.

Obviously, Duke has the same scholarship crunch. But let's say hypothetically that a spot opens up with someone going pro (please stay Grayson!!!) or transferring (maybe Vrank?). Given what we saw was the effect of lacking depth this year, and the fact that the only "true" PG on next year's roster will still be a young Derryck, how awesome would it be to have Spike as a veteran PG coming off the bench for 5-10 minutes a game? He's a deadeye 3 point shooter, a super cerebral player, an incredible leader, and has no problem playing limited/inconsistent minutes as seen during his career at Michigan... and knowing him I bet he'd jump at the chance to win the national title that just slipped through his fingers as a freshman.

Admittedly this is a complete fantasy, but for my favorite non-Duke college basketball player of all time a man can dream, no?

FerryFor50
03-29-2016, 11:14 AM
That's right, the (near) hero of the 2013 National Title game, the 5-foot-nothing skinny kid who probably still doesn't shave yet scored 17 points in the first half on the biggest stage of the country as a freshman off the bench (not to mention helped lead his team to a B1G title the next year and had an insane assist/TO ratio as the starting point guard for most of his junior year) is looking for a grad transfer. For those who don't follow U of M sports, Spike has had problems with both hips throughout his career, and took the entire year off to focus on surgery and rehab. He originally said he was "retiring" from basketball because the injury was so debilitating, but apparently he's made enough progress to want to get one more year of college basketball in... and it can't be at Michigan because of a scholarship crunch.

Obviously, Duke has the same scholarship crunch. But let's say hypothetically that a spot opens up with someone going pro (please stay Grayson!!!) or transferring (maybe Vrank?). Given what we saw was the effect of lacking depth this year, and the fact that the only "true" PG on next year's roster will still be a young Derryck, how awesome would it be to have Spike as a veteran PG coming off the bench for 5-10 minutes a game? He's a deadeye 3 point shooter, a super cerebral player, an incredible leader, and has no problem playing limited/inconsistent minutes as seen during his career at Michigan... and knowing him I bet he'd jump at the chance to win the national title that just slipped through his fingers as a freshman.

Admittedly this is a complete fantasy, but for my favorite non-Duke college basketball player of all time a man can dream, no?

Eh, I was never high on Albrecht. And especially not on Albrecht with gimpy hips. He's one taken charge away from ending his college career.

CDu
03-29-2016, 11:16 AM

I'd imagine that Albrecht would be looking to transfer somewhere where he can play more. Maybe the possibility of winning a championship would appeal to him above getting playing time. Of course, the counter to that would be "would Duke be interested?" Not to mention the problem that we don't have a scholarship available unless Bolden goes elsewhere or at least one more person leaves. My guess is that neither side would be interested in the other side.

scottdude8
03-29-2016, 11:26 AM
I'd imagine that Albrecht would be looking to transfer somewhere where he can play more. Maybe the possibility of winning a championship would appeal to him above getting playing time. Of course, the counter to that would be "would Duke be interested?" Not to mention the problem that we don't have a scholarship available unless Bolden goes elsewhere or at least one more person leaves. My guess is that neither side would be interested in the other side.

Alas, the sane part of me agrees. But the crazy fan part of me wants to see his scrappiness in a Duke jersey soooooo badly.

As far as the PT versus championship scenario, another Michigan grad transfer, Max Bielfeldt, is an interesting case study there... Bielfeldt used his grad transfer year not to go to a mid-major where he would've been the star, but to go to Indiana and come off the bench with no guarantee of playing time. Yet he became a huge part of that team and ended up winning a B1G title with his extra year. So that type of player does exist, even though he is rare.

Again, just for complete disclosure, I fully recognize how hypothetical/unlikely/insane the Spike-Duke scenario is. But I just thought it might be a fun thought experiment for the board as we come to grips with the long offseason awaiting us, haha.

Wander
03-29-2016, 11:41 AM
If something extreme happens, like Grayson goes pro and we lose another guard unexpectedly for some reason, sure. Stranger things have happened. But outside of that I don't think it would fit.

Tom B.
03-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Grayson and Albrecht, together?? With that much whiteness and scrappiness in one Duke backcourt, the whole Internet might melt in a runaway supernova of Duke hate.

Maybe we should go ahead and try to add Makai Mason while we're at it.

duke79
03-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Maybe we should go ahead and try to add Makai Mason while we're at it.

I think we should have recruited him to begin with. That kid can flat out play....

Henderson
03-29-2016, 03:12 PM

All you need is to tweet it and for someone to retweet it, citing a "source close to Duke Basketball." That would make your statement mainstream and eligible for debate.

luburch
03-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Alas, the sane part of me agrees. But the crazy fan part of me wants to see his scrappiness in a Duke jersey soooooo badly.

As far as the PT versus championship scenario, another Michigan grad transfer, Max Bielfeldt, is an interesting case study there... Bielfeldt used his grad transfer year not to go to a mid-major where he would've been the star, but to go to Indiana and come off the bench with no guarantee of playing time. Yet he became a huge part of that team and ended up winning a B1G title with his extra year. So that type of player does exist, even though he is rare.

Again, just for complete disclosure, I fully recognize how hypothetical/unlikely/insane the Spike-Duke scenario is. But I just thought it might be a fun thought experiment for the board as we come to grips with the long offseason awaiting us, haha.

Beilein isn't allowing Spike to transfer to any B10 schools. I suppose Max's performance played a part in that..

scottdude8
03-29-2016, 10:01 PM
Beilein isn't allowing Spike to transfer to any B10 schools. I suppose Max's performance played a part in that..

Interesting, I hadn't heard that yet... although it was my understanding that the school doesn't have any control over that with a grad transfer like they might for a normal transfer. Am I misinformed about that? Although I'm sure Spike would respect that if that was Beilein's request.