PDA

View Full Version : Capel To Ga Tech? Uh No...

hallcity
03-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Zach Klein (@ZachKleinWSB)
3/28/16, 7:26 PM
NCAA sources tell me Duke assistant Jeff Capel as emerged as #GaTech #1 candidate to replace Brian Gregory wsbtv.com/sports/sources…

moonpie23
03-28-2016, 08:08 PM
no, NO.....a thousand times NO!!!!!!!!

Pghdukie
03-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Say it isn't so ! Christian Laettner will then be the Kentucky coach. JJ will be the Twerps coach. It's not happening!

CDu
03-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Well, that would be bad news.

DangerDevil
03-28-2016, 08:47 PM
Well, that would be bad news.

I don't think Capel is going anywhere.

But if he is leaving, is it bad news?

If he is leaving then it probably means K's departure is not on the horizon (more than a couple of years down the road the biggest not "bad news" of this scenario).

I know Capel has been a big key to our recruiting resurgence but I think we are in pretty good shape and K and the rest of the staff can keep riding the momentum and are more than capable on their own as well.

If Capel is the heir apparent, there is no reason that he wouldn't want to come back when K retires and even better this would give him another opportunity to prove himself as a Head Coach and further cement himself as K's replacement.

Like I said at the beginning of my post, I don't think Capel is going anywhere and even if he wanted to leave I don't think GT can finiancially make him an offer to pry him away, not only do they have to pay Gregory's buyout but they are still paying off Paul Hewitt and the local speculation is that they are looking to replace Gregory with someone willing to take a discount.

Henderson
03-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Rumor mongering.

Indoor66
03-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Rumor mongering.

No dog in that post.

BD80
03-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Maybe they are talking about the wrong Capel.

hallcity
03-28-2016, 08:58 PM
The original tweet is from the sports director of WSB in Atlanta.

YmoBeThere
03-28-2016, 09:00 PM
I get all my rumors from WKRP...

gurufrisbee
03-28-2016, 09:00 PM
He would obviously be a great choice for Tech because he is so good. But it seems like an odd position to put yourself in because you would have to know he'll be a leading choice when Coach K retires.

SupaDave
03-28-2016, 09:09 PM
I don't think they would shell out the cash to get Jeff quite honestly. Just gave Hewitt $7 milly in 2011. And another $2.4 milly to Gregory b/c of his extension this month. If you're not counting, that's nearly $10 million for a basketball coach and no tourney wins (maybe a couple) in nearly a decade.

Don't forget that Tech is a state school. They lowballed with Gregory and paid the price for it. But they won't spend the money that Jeff needs to operate. Totally different kind of school culture (cause ya know, engineering). $5 milly in renovations for a stadium they can't fill unless UNC or Duke is in the house (wasn't even full for Duke this year). The team does have a new practice facility however. I guess it's where they practice'd Gregory's brilliant "pass it around the perimeter until you can get it down low and if you can't then shoot a three" offense (seriously, no dribble drive penetration whatsoever).

Tech can do better than Gregory but it won't be Capel. Wouldn't be shocked at all if Trent Johnson got a call.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-28-2016, 09:13 PM
#1 candidate does not mean he is going. In my mind, a Ferrari is the number 1 candidate to be my next car but I don't expect to see one pulling up anytime soon.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Anything is possible, but Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has been covering college basketball for over 30 years and has better ACC contacts than the local TV guy. Bradley's take, which notes that Capel is regarded as the heir apparent to K

I don’t doubt that Mike Bobinski, the Tech athletic director, would want to meet with Capel, who’s again a Hot Guy after being fired by Oklahoma in 2011. I do wonder if the interest is mutual.

http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/2016/03/28/wsb-says-tech-wants-capel-who-might-replace-coach-k-at-duke/

To paraphrase Keith Olberman, if Capel would take an ACC job he would not be burning his bridges to Duke and K - he would be napalming them

OldPhiKap
03-28-2016, 10:19 PM

As God as my witness -- I thought turkeys could fly.

BD80
03-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Oh the humanity!

brlftz
03-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Oh the humanity!

we're old

Olympic Fan
03-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Agree with the skepticism.

Remember, Jeff Capel was Arizona State's first choice a year ago.

I'd be shocked if he leaves Duke this offseason. It would definitely mean that he is NOT in line to replace K in a couple of years ... and I think that he is.

BigWayne
03-28-2016, 10:26 PM
Turkey season started here Saturday and I can verify that they can fly, for a little while, but they much prefer to walk or run.

BD80
03-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Turkey season started here Saturday and I can verify that they can fly, ..

From a helicopter hovering over a shopping mall parking lot?

JasonEvans
03-28-2016, 10:41 PM
To paraphrase Keith Olberman, if Capel would take an ACC job he would not be burning his bridges to Duke and K - he would be napalming them

I disagree. While I am sure K would prefer to not coach against one of his former assistants any more than necessary, I doubt he would scuttle his long relationship with Jeff Capel simply because Capel took a wonderful opportunity that was presented to him. I am sure that Capel and K will talk about this and, if Capel leaves, it will most assuredly be with K's blessing.

I think Capel would do a great job at Tech and I hope he goes there. He could build his cred a bit more before he potentially takes the Duke job and show whether or not he has the chops to be the Duke coach.

-Jason "I agree that if Capel leaves it means K is still a looong way from retirement" Evans

BeachBlueDevil
03-28-2016, 10:59 PM
No way on God's green earth Capel leaves Duke to take another job in the ACC. Hell, I think we have a bigger likelihood of Ingram coming back for his sophomore year than Capel leaving.

JasonEvans
03-28-2016, 11:51 PM
No way on God's green earth Capel leaves Duke to take another job in the ACC. Hell, I think we have a bigger likelihood of Ingram coming back for his sophomore year than Capel leaving.

Why? Is Tech not a good job for him? I think it is. Do you expect him to put his career goals on hold merely because it might be inconvenient for him to play K 1 or 2 times a year?

-Jason "my concern is that he goes to Tech and goes after Wendell Carter!" Evans

JPtheGame
03-28-2016, 11:58 PM

I like their guy nessman.
Im living on the air in Cincinnati.....

moonpie23
03-29-2016, 02:06 AM

trivia......

as good as WKRPIC was, the writers completely outdid themselves on the not-that-well-known "Frank's Place". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank%27s_Place) Tim Reid and hugh wilson offered up some amazing work for this short-lived series....

BigWayne
03-29-2016, 03:02 AM
From a helicopter hovering over a shopping mall parking lot?
I know, I know. If it wasn't for the prop wash, they would probably be able to glide down. At least they didn't drop frozen ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 06:57 AM
we're old

Breaking out Fibber McGee and Molly references after lunch.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 07:07 AM
trivia...

as good as WKRPIC was, the writers completely outdid themselves on the not-that-well-known "Frank's Place". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank%27s_Place) Tim Reid and hugh wilson offered up some amazing work for this short-lived series...

WKRP never got license releases for the (then-contemporary) rock music they used, so they could not syndicate. They tried dubbing over generic rock music and releasing that, but it kinda flopped.

I still remember Dr. Johnny Fever listening to Pink Floyd's Animals in the booth while a bit out of sorts. Can't "generic" that.

BeachBlueDevil
03-29-2016, 07:58 AM
Why? Is Tech not a good job for him? I think it is. Do you expect him to put his career goals on hold merely because it might be inconvenient for him to play K 1 or 2 times a year?

-Jason "my concern is that he goes to Tech and goes after Wendell Carter!" Evans

I think ASU was the better job. Yeah, he has a nice talent base around Atlanta to recruit from, but the talent base in Texas and Southern California is better and he could have recruited that with ease out there. As far as putting career goals on hold, he's already been a head coach twice with moderate success and what's not saying his goal now is to be the next head coach at Duke? We all know K isn't getting younger.

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2016, 08:15 AM
I disagree. While I am sure K would prefer to not coach against one of his former assistants any more than necessary, I doubt he would scuttle his long relationship with Jeff Capel simply because Capel took a wonderful opportunity that was presented to him. I am sure that Capel and K will talk about this and, if Capel leaves, it will most assuredly be with K's blessing.

I think Capel would do a great job at Tech and I hope he goes there. He could build his cred a bit more before he potentially takes the Duke job and show whether or not he has the chops to be the Duke coach.

-Jason "I agree that if Capel leaves it means K is still a looong way from retirement" Evans

I agree Tech is potentially a great job for reasons including Tech being an ACC member as well as what life in Atlanta has to offer to both the coach and his players.

But my recollection is that the home and home series with Michigan ended after Tommy Amaker got the Michigan job because K did not want to coach against one of his former assistants. Jeff Capel going to Tech would involve not just competing against K on the court in conference games but recruiting against K for similar players who want to play in the Southeast/ACC while meeting academic standards at Tech and Duke. If K in fact did quit playing Michigan because he did not want to coach against a former assistant my pure guess is he would not be excited about his first assistant taking a job in the ACC.

As far as when K will plan to retire, he is 69 years old. On the one hand, K knows that Dean Smith later regretted retiring in his mid-60s while in good health - on the other hand K saw coaching icons Joe Paterno (even before the Sandusky disaster) and Bobby Bowden hang on long after they should have stepped down. When you approach 70 a "long term plan" is an oxymoron.

“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.” - Woody Allen

slower
03-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Turkey season started here Saturday and I can verify that they can fly, for a little while, but they much prefer to walk or run.

I work at UNC. It's ALWAYS turkey season there. They can walk, run and talk (although the comments of actual turkeys would probably be more intelligent).

Channing
03-29-2016, 08:25 AM
I think it was mentioned, but I'm not sure GT will open the purse strings for Capel. I assume he is making good money at Duke. GT is (I think) still paying Paul Hewitt A LOT of money, as well as Gregory.

sagegrouse
03-29-2016, 08:51 AM
I think it was mentioned, but I'm not sure GT will open the purse strings for Capel. I assume he is making good money at Duke. GT is (I think) still paying Paul Hewitt A LOT of money, as well as Gregory.

I expect that Tech will, in fact, open the purse strings for Capel. The athletic director, Mike Bobinski, is a self-described "basketball guy;" he wants success on the court and knows he will have to pay for it. Brian Gregory had made progress, but it wasn't good enough. According to this story from a year ago (http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/12/notes-background-on-gregory-buyout/), Gregory is being paid $1.07 million with an apparent buy-out of $1.35 million over two years. Would Capel go for Gregory's salary? Probably not, but $1.5 million speaks pretty loudly.

GT's athletic budget from USA Today is around $70 million, 48th in a list of public universities (other rankings have put Duke in the top 30). The NCAA tournament payout for each ACC team is $2.6 million this year. Sounds like a buyout for Gregory and a higher salary for his replacement would be do-able. Moreover, AD's can be pretty creative, what without outside donors, deferred payments, higher subsidies and so forth.

Why wouldn't Jeff Capel just wait around for Coach K to retire? He might, and it could take a long time, and he might not get the job. Moreover, as Yogi said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." It's a good opportunity for the right coach -- I expect Jeff will take it, if offered and if the terms are good. Man, there is a big difference between being #1 and #2.

I hope Jeff stays, but wouldn't be surprised if he leapt at the Tech offer.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Mebbe Capel wants to play more than six players in a rotation, as he demonstrated when he coached the Devils at GT earlier this year'

superdave
03-29-2016, 09:07 AM
The timing of this could be ok for Duke. Capel gets to prove himself as a head coach again, and be well positioned when Coach K retires someday.

Nolan Smith was added to the staff, so we have a bench, so to speak. Nolan could move up to assistant or Coach K could pursue a more veteran assistant.

Our recruiting may take a hit if Capel leaves because he was really producing. I think James and Scheyer have really grown in that department, but Capel was recently rankled the #1 best assistant coach recruiter in the country. That's going to be hard to replace.

I do not think Capel is merely handed Coach K's job when that day finally arrives. But I also dont want all the weight Capel has been carrying getting shifted back on to a 69-year old Coach K. Throw some cash his way and keep Capel in the fold!

grad_devil
03-29-2016, 09:27 AM
...If K in fact did quit playing Michigan because he did not want to coach against a former assistant my pure guess is he would not be excited about his first assistant taking a job in the ACC.

Isn't Mike Brey a former K assistant? Although that's not worked out very well for Duke, since it seems ND has had Duke's number as of late, it's not caused a rift in the space/time continuum as far as I can tell.

dukelifer
03-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Isn't Mike Brey a former K assistant? Although that's not worked out very well for Duke, since it seems ND has had Duke's number as of late, it's not caused a rift in the space/time continuum as far as I can tell.

Duke has not fared very well against ND of late. That is very annoying.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 09:31 AM
Whether it be GT or elsewhere, Jeff should do what is best for him.

I would love to see Jeff on our bench and then have him take the reigns when K retires; I would like that to be 20 years from now. I understand that those are likely inconsistent and unreasonable desires though.

I think GT is a good job, although no one has been able to sustain anything down there since Cremins. Where good coaches' careers have gone to die ever since.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2016, 09:32 AM

Re: Turkeys... Wild turkeys all over my neighborhood, and they definitely can fly, they just aren't very good at it. The way I describe it is that turkeys can fly, sorta like a fat guy can run - if someone's chasing you with a knife, it can be done, but it isn't pretty to look at.

Re: Capel to Tech... I can see it. I feel like GaTech is a great opportunity with lots of history and talent waiting in the wings. I wouldn't be surprised to see Capel have pretty danged good success there. He seems to have the rapport with players and the recruiting chops to make ATL a great destination for a higher caliber athlete than they have seen in the last decade or so.

Re: Capel coaching in the ACC... I can also see it. It's something different when one of your proteges is trying to make a name for themselves in their first big job at Michigan. When your experienced right-hand man has a great offer land in his lap and you might have to play him once a year, I could see K in his older, wiser role supporting the move. I guarantee you every other program in the ACC will hate to see it happen.

Re: Capel coaching Duke... I wouldn't say that this move would preclude him coming to take over the reins. Was it last year that K said he would coach at least five more years - not that I would fault him if he changed his mind after another title next year. :cool: I would be shocked if Capel and K haven't had very frank conversations about that situation over the years, and I can't imagine that if Capel thought the Duke job might be his in the next three years that he would make this move and jeopardize that possibility. So, either there's no imminent move coming, or Capel already knows the job is more likely to go elsewhere.

Seriously, you guys should see when the turkeys flap like idiots trying to get up into our trees to roost. It's great entertainment.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Thinking about this from GA Tech's perspective, I'm not sure I would want Capel. Unfortunately, Coach K is likely retiring sooner rather than later (I hope it is much later, but I am being realistic). Do you really want to hire a coach when there is a significant chance he will want to leave for another job in a few years? GA Tech likes to think of itself as a big time program and a destination. This would be a real ego blow for them.

kAzE
03-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Even if he was actually offered, I'm 100% confident he'd turn them down. Coach K hates to play against former assistants, Mike Brey included. An in-conference move doesn't seem likely, and Capel can do way better than Ga Tech. Also, he's essential at Duke. He basically runs the show in terms of recruiting, something that I'm not quite sure that Nate James and Jon Scheyer are ready to handle just yet. Coach K is just the closer now.

sagegrouse
03-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Even if he was actually offered, I'm 100% confident he'd turn them down. Coach K hates to play against former assistants, Mike Brey included. An in-conference move doesn't seem likely, and Capel can do way better than Ga Tech. Also, he's essential at Duke. He basically runs the show in terms of recruiting, something that I'm not quite sure that Nate James and Jon Scheyer are ready to handle just yet. Coach K is just the closer now.

Uhhh,.... This is not Coach K's decision -- it is Coach Capel's decision -- so K's feelings about playing against former players and assistants is largely irrelevant.
Capel can do far better than Georgia Tech? I am not sure there is evidence of that.
"[H]e's essential at Duke." I agree that Duke's recruiting will likely take a hit if Jeff leaves, but that wouldn't and shouldn't affect his decision.

Dukehky
03-29-2016, 10:49 AM
I love Capel. I have argued on this board for a few years now that he is going to be the next Head Coach at Duke. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to be the head coach of another school until K retires, maybe it would be justification for me if he went and succeeded elsewhere. I'm not super thrilled at the prospect of Nate, Scheyer, and Nolan as our assistants. There isn't a ton of high level experience there, but Jon is on the rise, that guy is gonna get a head job sooner rather than later I think. Let's not forget, he landed Tatum.

I don't want Capel to go to an ACC school, I don't think he will, and I don't think K would give his fullest blessing (while certainly not holding him back).

Most importantly, I don't want Capel taking Wendell Carter with him anywhere he goes, because those two are tight.

Dukehky
03-29-2016, 10:53 AM
I agree Tech is potentially a great job for reasons including Tech being an ACC member as well as what life in Atlanta has to offer to both the coach and his players.

But my recollection is that the home and home series with Michigan ended after Tommy Amaker got the Michigan job because K did not want to coach against one of his former assistants. Jeff Capel going to Tech would involve not just competing against K on the court in conference games but recruiting against K for similar players who want to play in the Southeast/ACC while meeting academic standards at Tech and Duke. If K in fact did quit playing Michigan because he did not want to coach against a former assistant my pure guess is he would not be excited about his first assistant taking a job in the ACC.

As far as when K will plan to retire, he is 69 years old. On the one hand, K knows that Dean Smith later regretted retiring in his mid-60s while in good health - on the other hand K saw coaching icons Joe Paterno (even before the Sandusky disaster) and Bobby Bowden hang on long after they should have stepped down. When you approach 70 a "long term plan" is an oxymoron.

“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.” - Woody Allen

Speaking of Paterno, this is extraordinarily relevant because the scandal K is currently embroiled in for "lying" to the press. This is going to get K fired just like Paterno got fired. He's too old and grouchy, he's changed, he'll do anything for the sake of winning, including telling a kid that he's too good of a player a few times then telling the press he didn't say anything like that. What an abomination. K has changed into something unrecognizable. First thing, not giving the media all they want, next thing you know, predators are running rampant throughout Duke's campus.

He should also be fired from coaching USA basketball, we can't have someone like that representing our country.

Broadhead should go all Duke Lacrosse and act on this now and just make Capel the coach.

Bleacher Report and ESPN can go suck an egg.

(except for the last part, that was all obviously sarcasm guys)

kAzE
03-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Uhhh,... This is not Coach K's decision -- it is Coach Capel's decision -- so K's feelings about playing against former players and assistants is largely irrelevant.

It's totally relevant. Coach K is Capel's mentor, friend, and former coach. He probably shares the same feelings as Coach K, and especially in not wanting to play against/compete for recruits with his own alma mater.

Capel can do far better than Georgia Tech? I am not sure there is evidence of that.

Are you serious? This guy is pulling in top 10 recruits left and right. Maybe he doesn't close as many of them without the Duke brand, but to think major national programs aren't taking notice would be foolish. There was a whole article up on ESPN about how Capel is the best young recruiter out there.

"[H]e's essential at Duke." I agree that Duke's recruiting will likely take a hit if Jeff leaves, but that wouldn't and shouldn't affect his decision.

It's like you think Capel is some sort of mercenary who doesn't give a crap about Duke, and would leave at the first opportunity. He knows how important he is to this program, and I think he knows he has the inside track at the job once Coach K is done. Why would he actively hurt the program that he may very likely inherit at some point? And let's be real, him leaving would be devastating to the program, more so than any 1 player transferring. He ain't leaving for Ga Tech. Maybe a school outside the ACC, but not Ga Tech. Take it to the bank.

flyingdutchdevil
03-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Uhhh,... This is not Coach K's decision -- it is Coach Capel's decision -- so K's feelings about playing against former players and assistants is largely irrelevant.

I disagree with your first point and question Capel's attractiveness to the market as per your second point.

1) K's feelings are very relevant. Although it is Capel's decision, he is going to consultant K. That's a given. It's the same with Ingram and Grayson thinking about the NBA. Of course it's their decision, but they will consult with Coach K and many other Duke stakeholders before making a career-altering decision.

2) You are right there is no evidence of Capel doing better than Georgia Tech. But Georgia Tech has been an underachieving program since Paul Hewitt took the Jackets to the finals in 2004. In the 12 seasons that followed, they have been to the tournament 3 times (2 second rounds, 1 first round). They have been either in the middle or near the bottom of the ACC in that 12 year period. I would say that Georgia Tech is a very unattractive program right now. Given that ESPN recently called Capel college basketball's top recruiter, I'd argue there are a lot of mid-tier schools interested in excellent recruiting coaches. Capel isn't going to go to Kentucky, Kansas, or Indiana, but he'll be given a shot at others.

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2016, 11:08 AM
But Brey didn't jump from Duke to another ACC school, he went to Delaware. When he took the ND job, the Irish weren't in the ACC. I'm with others that would be surprised to see Capel go intraconference.

sagegrouse
03-29-2016, 11:09 AM
It's like you think Capel is some sort of mercenary who doesn't give a crap about Duke, and would leave at the first opportunity. He knows how important he is to this program, and I think he knows he has the inside track at the job once Coach K is done. He ain't leaving for Ga Tech. Take it to the bank.

Accepting a promotion to a head coach job at a major program and tripling one's compensation does not make Jeff Capel "some sort of mercenary." While coaching is a profession, it is also a business without a lot of long-term job security. He should think long and hard about the GT opportunity should it materialize. I hope he stays at Duke, but I would fully understand why he would leave for an excellent opportunity elsewhere.

Of course, it also gives him leverage to extract a better deal and maybe some promises from Duke. I am not as sold as some on Jeff Capel III as the successor to Coach K, but he sure would be a candidate.

Kindly,
Sage
'I wonder what his dad, Jeff Capel II, would advise'

lmb
03-29-2016, 11:11 AM
But Brey didn't jump from Duke to another ACC school, he went to Delaware. When he took the ND job, the Irish weren't in the ACC. I'm with others that would be surprised to see Capel go intraconference.

And Brey was never one of Coach K's players. I'm going to hazard a guess that his relationship with Brey, while close, was not as close as those with former players who became coaches.

FerryFor50
03-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Accepting a promotion to a head coach job at a major program and tripling one's compensation does not make Jeff Capel "some sort of mercenary." While coaching is a profession, it is also a business without a lot of long-term job security. He should think long and hard about the GT opportunity should it materialize. I hope he stays at Duke, but I would fully understand why he would leave for an excellent opportunity elsewhere.

Of course, it also gives him leverage to extract a better deal and maybe some promises from Duke. I am not as sold as some on Jeff Capel III as the successor to Coach K, but he sure would be a candidate.

Kindly,
Sage

I agree with this.

Capel needs to look out for his best interests. If they lead him back to Duke, so be it. But he shouldn't have to languish as a bench coach if he has the option to be a head coach at a school he wants to coach.

kAzE
03-29-2016, 11:14 AM
I agree with this.

Capel needs to look out for his best interests. If they lead him back to Duke, so be it. But he shouldn't have to languish as a bench coach if he has the option to be a head coach at a school he wants to coach.

No argument with that. I just vehemently disagree with the notion that Ga Tech would be a school that he wants to coach.

FerryFor50
03-29-2016, 11:15 AM
No argument with that. I just vehemently disagree with the notion that Ga Tech would be a school that he wants to coach.

Well, they have some tradition at GT.

I don't think the ACC angle, nor the "Coach K would be mad" angle are reasons not to coach there.

I think the fact that GT is a rambling trainwreck is the reason not to coach there.

kAzE
03-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Well, they have some tradition at GT.

I don't think the ACC angle, nor the "Coach K would be mad" angle are reasons not to coach there.

I think the fact that GT is a rambling trainwreck is the reason not to coach there.

Well, I don't think Coach K would ever be "mad" that any of his assistants would do something to help themselves. I just doubt Capel would want to play against Duke every year and try to pull potential recruits away from Duke within Ga Tech's sphere of influence. There's way too many conflicting interests at play for that job to be appealing to him. If he goes to Ga Tech, he's quite literally Duke's enemy.

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 11:23 AM
I love Capel. I have argued on this board for a few years now that he is going to be the next Head Coach at Duke.

My money is on Wojo.

duke79
03-29-2016, 11:25 AM
My money is on Wojo.

To be the next Duke coach or the GT coach??

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 11:29 AM
I just doubt Capel would want to play against Duke every year and try to pull potential recruits away from Duke within Ga Tech's sphere of influence.

Do you truly believe Ga. Tech has more recruiting "sphere of influence" than Oklahoma?

Troublemaker
03-29-2016, 11:29 AM
In college football, coveted assistants leave to coach in the same conference all the time. Coach K and Coach Capel are adults and will be fine.

Like others, I think if offered, Capel-to-GaTech will happen.

kAzE
03-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Do you truly believe Ga. Tech has more recruiting "sphere of influence" than Oklahoma?

What? The point is that Ga Tech often competes with Duke for the same recruits. Oklahoma usually doesn't.

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 11:32 AM
To be the next Duke coach or the GT coach??

Duke. IMO, Wojo already has a spot as good as GT.

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 11:46 AM
What? The point is that Ga Tech often competes with Duke for the same recruits. Oklahoma usually doesn't.

When was the last time GT took a key Duke recruit?

Oklahoma/Capel took Blake Griffin.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2016, 11:47 AM

Kindly,
Sage

I would imagine his compensation would more than triple. Look, despite the NCAA's insistence, college basketball is a business. The loyalty that Capel has shown as a player and as an assistant coach is fantastic. But I'm not sure why everyone is assuming that Capel would be taking the Tech job instead of the Duke job. I can think of at least two counters to that assumption:

1) Capel has been told he will not be the next coach at Duke, for whatever reason. Perhaps they have someone else already in the chamber. Perhaps K doesn't think Capel isn't the right fit. Maybe Capel HIMSELF doesn't want the job. Regardless, he doesn't see it as "either/or" because there is no "or."

2) Capel already knows that K isn't leaving for the next X years, and doesn't want to be an assistant for that long. He's head coached at the highest levels already and came back and revitalized our recruiting in a way no one could have forseen.

Either way, at this point, he doesn't owe Duke or K anything, and I wish him the best regardless of what comes his way.

kAzE
03-29-2016, 11:50 AM

When was the last time Ga Tech had a recruiter as good as Jeff Capel?

Atlanta Duke
03-29-2016, 11:56 AM
I agree with this.

No question Jeff Capel needs to look out for his best interests - lots of senior executives face that decision when headhunters call while someone is on the rumored short list to be the next CEO of their current company. While the assumption is K will pick his successor, it is sometimes better to be the guy after the guy who follows the legend and to make a clean break from the coaching tree when a long term coach retires (e.g. - the Pittsburgh Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969 and when the Rooney family hired a new head coach in 1992 and 2007 they did not hire a former assistant of the predecessor who retired). So sitting tight is no guarantee of a future promotion.

But if you assume Jeff Capel sees his long term best interests to include being the head coach at Duke, is he going to advance that goal by going to a program that needs a major rebuild (resulting in a potentially mediocre record during the time until K retires) and potentially without the enthusiastic support of his mentor.

A tough choice but in a good way - beats looking for a job like the Tech coaches are currently doing..

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Oklahoma/Capel took Blake Griffin.

GT has not been consistently relevant since Bobby left, yes they made the Championship game in 2004, but not much success other than that.

His major recruiting success came from the NE... he had a bit of a pipeline going there for a while.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jeff tool the GT job, but I would be mildly surprised.

Selfishly I hope he stays at Duke because I think he is outstanding at his job.

If he goes I hope he has tremendous success!

Billy Dat
03-29-2016, 12:02 PM

I agree

With no inside info, just my outside perspective from inhaling everything written about and spoken by K for years, he is definitely a foxhole type of dude. You are either in it with him or you are not. He has gone on record about how much he hates coaching against his former players and I can't imagine Capel taking an ACC job for that reason.

Even if he was actually offered, I'm 100% confident he'd turn them down.

I'd be shocked if he actually goes through with the interview. If he actually goes and interviews, I think the chances go way up that he's serious about it. If it ever gets past the rumor stage and he actually interviews, then he's probably really serious but I can't imagine it will ever get that far for the reasons stated above.

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 12:05 PM
When was the last time Ga Tech had a recruiter as good as Jeff Capel?

Exactly, it does not matter where Capel goes, he will pull in recruits. It's not a GT issue, as you previously claimed.

In regards to your question, Cremins could certainly recruit NYC PGs.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Why no discussion of Capel to Vandy?

Troublemaker
03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Why no discussion of Capel to Vandy?

I think he's bigger than that job, no offense to Vandy. Capel is one of the most coveted assistant coaches right now.

The reason GaTech is a better job is because there's more basketball talent in and around Atlanta than there is in and around Nashville.

GaTech is considered to have untapped potential.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 12:22 PM
I think he's bigger than that job, no offense to Vandy. Capel is one of the most coveted assistant coaches right now.

The reason GaTech is a better job is because there's more basketball talent in and around Atlanta than there is in and around Nashville.

Good reasons/thinking. Thanks.

flyingdutchdevil
03-29-2016, 12:26 PM

So what's the range for Capel as the most coveted assistant coach (which I completely agree with)? It's not Blue Bloods (unless Coach K retires) and it's not mediocre Power 6 (Vandy, GT). So is it somewhere in between? Like an Iowa, Cal, or, ironically, Oklahoma? Would a Texas be out of the question? Very curious as to what posters think.

ricks68
03-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Breaking out Fibber McGee and Molly references after lunch.

The ones from their radio series, and then we should start referencing Vaudeville bits----in Yiddish.:eek::p

ricks

JasonEvans
03-29-2016, 12:45 PM

This!!

In 2016, you could have made a top 5 recruiting class out of guys who play in the metro Atlanta area. Kobi Simmons (top 20, going to AZ), Alterique Gilbert (top 40, going to UConn), Brandon Robinson (top 50, going to UNC), Romello White (top 75, going to Ge Tech), and Tyree Crump (top 75, going to UGA) would have been an amazing class for any school. And 2016 is hardly an aberration. In 2015, metro Atlanta produced Jaylen Brown (top 5, headed to Cal and then to NBA), Malik Beasley (top 30, headed to FSU and then NBA), Daniel Giddens (top 50, Ohio St), and Doral Moore (top 75, Wake Forest).

And then there is 2017, which may be the strongest class in the city in many years. Of course, we know it features Wendell Carter, who many consider the top player in the class. But metro Atlanta also is home to MJ Walker (ESPN's #8 recruit) and Ike Obiagu (ESPN's #13, who my sons have played high school basketball against for several years). That's three top 15 recruits. Oh, and don't forget Davion Mitchell, Darius Perry, and Chuma Okeke who are also in the ESPN top 50 and DeAndre Ballard (my son shut him down in the region playoffs last year, a real career highlight for him) who is a top 60 recruit. That's 7 top 60 recruits in one city!

In 2018, it is still early but there are 2 likely Mickie Dees playing in Atlanta, Khavon Moore and Jamie Lewis.

By the way, one of Ike Obiagu's teammates (also class of 2017) is Justin Forrest, son of former Ga Tech great James Forrest. Justin is a heck of a player who can really score. He's not highly ranked yet, but I think he will be able to have an impact at a D1 program. I could easily see someone offering him in the hope it also lures his monstrous teammate Obiagu (and perhaps some of the other kids at Greenforest Academy, which is filled with studs).

In any event, I think one large reason Gregory is gone is that he has failed to get the good players from the metro area. I suspect one of the key reasons Tech is making this move now is to get some excitement around the program as the important and impressive 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes come through. If Tech could get half of the top 50 recruits in Atlanta each year, it would be a perennial top 20 program.

-Jason "sorry for all the detail, but I'm kinda into metro Atlanta basketball recruiting these days because my sons have played against so many of these kids over the years" Evans

devildeac
03-29-2016, 12:53 PM
This!!

In 2016, you could have made a top 5 recruiting class out of guys who play in the metro Atlanta area. Kobi Simmons (top 20, going to AZ), Alterique Gilbert (top 40, going to UConn), Brandon Robinson (top 50, going to UNC), Romello White (top 75, going to Ge Tech), and Tyree Crump (top 75, going to UGA) would have been an amazing class for any school. And 2016 is hardly an aberration. In 2015, metro Atlanta produced Jaylen Brown (top 5, headed to Cal and then to NBA), Malik Beasley (top 30, headed to FSU and then NBA), Daniel Giddens (top 50, Ohio St), and Doral Moore (top 75, Wake Forest).

And then there is 2017, which may be the strongest class in the city in many years. Of course, we know it features Wendell Carter, who many consider the top player in the class. But metro Atlanta also is home to MJ Walker (ESPN's #8 recruit) and Ike Obiagu (ESPN's #13, who my sons have played high school basketball against for several years). That's three top 15 recruits. Oh, and don't forget Davion Mitchell, Darius Perry, and Chuma Okeke who are also in the ESPN top 50 and DeAndre Ballard (my son shut him down in the region playoffs last year, a real career highlight for him) who is a top 60 recruit. That's 7 top 60 recruits in one city!

In 2018, it is still early but there are 2 likely Mickie Dees playing in Atlanta, Khavon Moore and Jamie Lewis.

By the way, one of Ike Obiagu's teammates (also class of 2017) is Justin Forrest, son of former Ga Tech great James Forrest. Justin is a heck of a player who can really score. He's not highly ranked yet, but I think he will be able to have an impact at a D1 program. I could easily see someone offering him in the hope it also lures his monstrous teammate Obiagu (and perhaps some of the other kids at Greenforest Academy, which is filled with studs).

In any event, I think one large reason Gregory is gone is that he has failed to get the good players from the metro area. I suspect one of the key reasons Tech is making this move now is to get some excitement around the program as the important and impressive 2016, 2017, and 2018 classes come through. If Tech could get half of the top 50 recruits in Atlanta each year, it would be a perennial top 20 program.

-Jason "sorry for all the detail, but I'm kinda into metro Atlanta basketball recruiting these days because my sons have played against so many of these kids over the years" Evans

Sounds like we need to look at those Evans kids for Duke as lock-down defenders. Maybe get a package deal...

;)

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Sounds like we need to look at those Evans kids for Duke as lock-down defenders. Maybe get a package deal...

;)

Are they much better than their old man?

Turk
03-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Re: Turkeys... Wild turkeys all over my neighborhood, and they definitely can fly, they just aren't very good at it. The way I describe it is that turkeys can fly, sorta like a fat guy can run - if someone's chasing you with a knife, it can be done, but it isn't pretty to look at.

I resemble that remark!!

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 01:10 PM
"wild turkeys" . . . . I resemble that remark!!

"You are what you drink"

Which makes me a Night Train.

Spanarkel
03-29-2016, 01:11 PM
Long time reader, first post ever: REALLY enjoy the vast majority of posts on EK Board of DBR! Re: Jason Evans recent post about the plethora of Metro ATL hoopS talent, I totally agree! However, UGA commit Tyree Crump('16) hails from Bainbridge, Decatur County, GA and not metro ATL.

RamblinRed
03-29-2016, 01:15 PM
This!!

This is one of the biggest reasons Gregory failed in Atlanta, he did miserably as a recruiter. He only signed 5, 4* players during his entire tenure - only 4 from Atlanta. That is simply not enough talent. GT has been consistently bringing a knife to a gunfight.

FWIW, Daniel Giddens has announced he is transferring from Ohio St.

You are right about talent in Atlanta. it has been very good since the early 2000's, but as more people continue to move in, it just makes the talent pool deeper. The 2017 class is considered the deepest since at least 2011.
Heck the best players on 2 ACC squads - Malcolm Brogdon and Jaron Blossomgame were both from within 30 miles of GT's campus.

That is why some consider GT a sleeping giant for the right coach. You could easily sign multiple 4* or better kids every year who live within 30-50 miles of campus if you have a good recruiter. If you can coach a little to then the ceiling gets alot higher.
One other thought, whoever takes the job is likely to have 4-6 scholarships to use on that 2017 class, so a good coach has the potential to bring in a strong class right off the bat, filled with 'his' guys.

COYS
03-29-2016, 01:20 PM
This!!

To add to this, Tech has a history of getting some really good recruits. In fact, recruiting was not the problem for Paul Hewitt. He routinely had really talented teams that were inconsistent. Capel has proven to be a pretty strong recruiter, at least at Duke. If he can continue that at Tech but also bring more to the table in terms of X's and O's, I see no reason why he couldn't be at least as successful as Hewitt. The Jarret Jack and BJ Elder team was excellent, of course, but there were other windows for Hewitt to succeed, such as the Javaris Crittenton/Thadeus Young years or the Derryck Favors season. Capel has had opportunity to grow as a coach since 2011 when he left the Sooners. To be honest, if K is not retiring soon, I'd LOVE to see Capel succeed at GaTech.

budwom
03-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Does anyone think it's easy to get "half of Atlanta's top 50 recruits each season?????"
If St. John's got half of NYC's top 50, if UCLA got half of LA's top 50, sure, they'd be really good.
I just don't think it's realistic. Top 50 kids can generally go literally anywhere they want with the exception
of a very few elite programs.....keeping them in Hotlanta is easier said than done I would suspect.

Having said that, yeah, there is a lot of talent to be mined....

Henderson
03-29-2016, 01:31 PM
The original tweet is from the sports director of WSB in Atlanta.

He's a young television sportscaster for a local TV channel. He does HS play by play. So come on. I guess we'll see how good his unnamed "NCAA sources" are. But given a non-existent track record and the fact that all of his "sources" (if there are any) are unnamed, this thread's opener is pure rumor at this point.

Has any other, more accredited journalist confirmed his "scoop"? I'm not seeing anything.

So yeah, his "scoop" is at least questionable, and certainly unverified by any other source, which makes it rumor-mongering.

tbyers11
03-29-2016, 01:33 PM
He's a young television sportscaster for a local TV channel. He does HS play by play. So come on. I guess we'll see how good his unnamed "NCAA sources" are. But given a non-existent track record and the fact that all of his "sources" (if there are any) are unnamed, this thread's opener is pure rumor at this point.

Has any other, more accredited journalist confirmed his "scoop"? I'm not seeing anything.

So yeah, his "scoop" is at least questionable, and certainly unverified by any other source, which makes it rumor-mongering.

Gary Parrish at CBS Sports has:
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/714648519538262017

Jeff Goodman has:
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/714799012067549184

Now this WSB guy might be their source but Parrish and Goodman have pretty decent credibility

hallcity
03-29-2016, 01:40 PM

Sorry, the sports director at WSB is actually Zach Klein and he's actually the one who originated the report about Capel being considered by Ga. Tech (http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/sources-duke-assistant-no-1-candidate-for-georgia-tech-job/184089242). Of course, who knows how serious Ga. Tech is or how interested Capel is but something is going on.

Edouble
03-29-2016, 01:41 PM
To add to this, Tech has a history of getting some really good recruits. In fact, recruiting was not the problem for Paul Hewitt. He routinely had really talented teams that were inconsistent. Capel has proven to be a pretty strong recruiter, at least at Duke. If he can continue that at Tech but also bring more to the table in terms of X's and O's, I see no reason why he couldn't be at least as successful as Hewitt. The Jarret Jack and BJ Elder team was excellent, of course, but there were other windows for Hewitt to succeed, such as the Javaris Crittenton/Thadeus Young years or the Derryck Favors season. Capel has had opportunity to grow as a coach since 2011 when he left the Sooners. To be honest, if K is not retiring soon, I'd LOVE to see Capel succeed at GaTech.

...or the Chris Bosh season!!!

I saw that team play live and they could have been coached much better.

Anyone who thinks that Capel can't get talent, either in or out of Atlanta to enroll at Tech is just wrong. Cremins took Kenny Anderson away from Dean Smith. Hewitt had tons of revolving door talent. Please don't let Brian Gregory's recruiting prowess (or lack thereof) reflect on what is possible in Atlanta.

Does anyone think it's easy to get "half of Atlanta's top 50 recruits each season?????"
If St. John's got half of NYC's top 50, if UCLA got half of LA's top 50, sure, they'd be really good.
I just don't think it's realistic. Top 50 kids can generally go literally anywhere they want with the exception
of a very few elite programs...keeping them in Hotlanta is easier said than done I would suspect.

Having said that, yeah, there is a lot of talent to be mined...

It does not hurt that Jeff Capel would be an African-American coach. I have lived in Atlanta my whole life and I can tell you that is huge. Tech is a sleeping giant. Atlanta is a tech town, it's all just gone underground a bit. I can't tell you how many closet Tech fans there are out there. Jeff Capel in Atlanta is a dangerous prospect.

Henderson
03-29-2016, 01:42 PM
Gary Parrish at CBS Sports has:
https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/714648519538262017

Jeff Goodman has:
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/714799012067549184

Now this WSB guy might be their source but Parrish and Goodman have pretty decent credibility

Goodman references a single unnamed source, dated just after Klein tweeted about his own unnamed sources. Any guess who Goodman's source might be? Notice that Goodman doesn't "own" this rumor; he's just passing on what he heard from someone. Gary Parrish just says GT has "reached out" to Larranaga and Capel, again without attribution, but right after the Klein tweet. You following this? Anyway, Duke "reaches out" to me regularly, and I'm still not the head coach.

This is how rumors work in the blogosphere/internet world.

If DBR has a rule against rumor mongering, this would be a good place to apply it. It's no different from, "My brother in law told some people, who called a reporter, who reported what my brother in law said, who tweeted my brother in law's scoop, which was then retweeted by someone famous."

Critical thinking, people. Critical thinking.

JasonEvans
03-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Not much use at Duke (or any other college program) for 5-7 and 5-9 kids with mediocre jumpshots and little more than a lot of hustle. The older son, the one who was a great defensive player for a small (60 kids in a grade) private school, is now at Haverford playing rugby. We never even considered basketball for him and he's actually better than his brother, who puts most of his efforts into baseball (http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/alec-evans/9dwgZbocEeS-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/baseball-stats.htm#year=15-16).

Considerably!

luvdahops
03-29-2016, 01:49 PM

While Cremins and Hewitt definitely had some successes, recruiting for both generally fell off sharply toward the end of their tenures. Local talent aside, recruiting for Tech is not as easy as it sounds. The academics are tough, particularly when you consider the heavy STEM focus, and the student body is 2/3 male. And while Atlanta has lots going on, the Tech campus is not that well situated to take advantage of it. Finally, the local sports media and fan base is much more invested in college football generally, and SEC football in particular.

BD80
03-29-2016, 01:53 PM
The ones from their radio series, and then we should start referencing Vaudeville bits----in Yiddish.:eek::p

ricks

Now, take my assistant coach ... Please!

The photo Parrish uses is not flattering. Capel has spent too much time on the recruiting trail eating home-cooked meals by recruits mammas!

cato
03-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Not much use at Duke (or any other college program) for 5-7 and 5-9 kids with mediocre jumpshots and little more than a lot of hustle.

Absolutely untrue. I have been a very useful fan* since my brother enrolled in 84. And Duke had no problem accepting our tuition payments.

*I know.

JasonEvans
It does not hurt that Jeff Capel would be an African-American coach. I have lived in Atlanta my whole life and I can tell you that is huge. Tech is a sleeping giant. Atlanta is a tech town, it's all just gone underground a bit. I can't tell you how many closet Tech fans there are out there. Jeff Capel in Atlanta is a dangerous prospect.

Spoken like someone who knows Atlanta well. An African-American coach who could actually coach would be HUGE in this city.

The other name being talked about is Jay Larranaga, current assistant coach with the Celtics. He had a long European career as a player and has coached several national teams including the Irish national team and Ukraine. If you think K has issues about coaching against his former assistants, how will the Miami head coach feel about coaching against his son!?!?!

-Jason "I have to wonder what kind of recruiter Larranaga would be. As we've discussed, Tech needs someone to recruit like crazy... which is why Capel would be a great fit, I think" Evans

tbyers11
Goodman references a single unnamed source, dated just after Klein tweeted about his own unnamed sources. Any guess who Goodman's source might be? Notice that Goodman doesn't "own" this rumor; he's just passing on what he heard from someone. Gary Parrish just says GT has "reached out" to Larranaga and Capel, again without attribution.

I'm aware this how rumors work in the internet world. No one ever names their sources. Parrish's source might be the WSB tweet but both of these guys, especially Goodman, seem to check the info with their "sources" to vett the info before running it. They have some credibility for me. A published tweet from a basketball writer at a major sports website is a rumor but I don't think it fits the definition of rumor-mongering for DBR. YMMV

You also have it backwards. Parrish cited a single unnamed source while Goodman cited multiple unnamed sources and brought Jay Larranaga's name into the mix. Critical reading, people. Critical reading.

cato
03-29-2016, 01:56 PM

The photo Parrish uses is not flattering. Capel has spent too much time on the recruiting trail eating home-cooked meals by recruits mammas!

May not be flattering, but it is an interesting choice.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Don't know. Maybe you could find some youtube highlight reels of Evans the senior in action...

;)

JasonEvans
03-29-2016, 02:03 PM
By the way, to me the most interesting thing about the Tech search is that Mark Price took his name out of the running (http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/mark-price-committed-to-staying-at-charlotte/nqtkd/) right away. Price has been 1 year as head coach at Charlotte and everyone has always assumed he would return to Tech some day. He had a decent year at Charlotte and seems to have a nice core of players coming back but this would have been his most likely window. By passing on Tech this time, he may shut himself off from it for good (if the guy they hire does well).

Of course, if Tech hires Capel and Capel is seen as the most likely K replacement, then it could create a domino effect when K retires which could open the job up for Price again.

-Jason "Price would have been an instantaneous, no-brainer hire for Tech. I bet they are bummed he ruled himself out" Evans

luburch
03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
So what's the range for Capel as the most coveted assistant coach (which I completely agree with)? It's not Blue Bloods (unless Coach K retires) and it's not mediocre Power 6 (Vandy, GT). So is it somewhere in between? Like an Iowa, Cal, or, ironically, Oklahoma? Would a Texas be out of the question? Very curious as to what posters think.

Navigating back to this point - I quickly (and I mean quickly) scanned P5 schools and came up with this list:
Virginia
Miami
Notre Dame
NC State
West Virginia
Baylor
Purdue
Maryland
Iowa
Wisconsin
Michigan
Oregon
California
Stanford
Texas A&M
Florida
Tennessee

These are jobs that I think you could argue are a step up from GT and that would consider Capel is a viable candidate. I probably missed some and you could probably talk me out of a few on this list.

Henderson
03-29-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm aware this how rumors work in the internet world. No one ever names their sources. Parrish's source might be the WSB tweet but both of these guys, especially Goodman, seem to check the info with their "sources" to vett the info before running it. They have some credibility for me. A published tweet from a basketball writer at a major sports website is a rumor but I don't think it fits the definition of rumor-mongering for DBR. YMMV

You also have it backwards. Parrish cited a single unnamed source while Goodman cited multiple unnamed sources and brought Jay Larranaga's name into the mix. Critical reading, people. Critical reading.

You still don't understand how these rumors work, do you?

Unnamed "source(s)" all originating from a young TV sportscaster. And notice that no one (neither Parrish, Goodman, or any other) is confirming the original rumor or identifying who their source is (though we can guess). They're just retweeting what they've heard in a desperate attempt not to be scooped. More importantly, no one is confirming. No one. They're just reporting what the other said.

That is how these rumors work. And let's be quite clear about this: These are rumors. Monger as you like, but they are still internet rumors.

jv001
03-29-2016, 02:18 PM
By the way, to me the most interesting thing about the Tech search is that Mark Price took his name out of the running (http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/mark-price-committed-to-staying-at-charlotte/nqtkd/) right away. Price has been 1 year as head coach at Charlotte and everyone has always assumed he would return to Tech some day. He had a decent year at Charlotte and seems to have a nice core of players coming back but this would have been his most likely window. By passing on Tech this time, he may shut himself off from it for good (if the guy they hire does well).

Of course, if Tech hires Capel and Capel is seen as the most likely K replacement, then it could create a domino effect when K retires which could open the job up for Price again.

-Jason "Price would have been an instantaneous, no-brainer hire for Tech. I bet they are bummed he ruled himself out" Evans

Price taking his name out of consideration could tell us a lot about the GT job. When someone like Price doesn't even want to be considered for the head coaching job at GT, a member of the ACC. The best college basketball conference in the country. That tells me something is wrong down in Atlanta, GA. GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Jabari Bars

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Don't know. Maybe you could find some youtube highlight reels of Evans the senior in action...

;)

Even if I find them, how will that help us determine if he can play basketball?

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 03:35 PM
By the way, to me the most interesting thing about the Tech search is that Mark Price took his name out of the running (http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/mark-price-committed-to-staying-at-charlotte/nqtkd/) right away.

Very interesting, thanks!

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 03:39 PM
While Cremins and Hewitt definitely had some successes, recruiting for both generally fell off sharply toward the end of their tenures. Local talent aside, recruiting for Tech is not as easy as it sounds. The academics are tough, particularly when you consider the heavy STEM focus, and the student body is 2/3 male. And while Atlanta has lots going on, the Tech campus is not that well situated to take advantage of it. Finally, the local sports media and fan base is much more invested in college football generally, and SEC football in particular.

Cremins got many of his great players through his contacts back in NYC, although ATL was not as renowned a cool place as it became after the 1996 Olympics. For many in NYC, ATL was still beyond the sticks.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 03:40 PM

I have found that cinder blocks are the only useful cross-generational measurement available. Other than that, the game has changed too much.

hallcity
03-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Goodman references a single unnamed source, dated just after Klein tweeted about his own unnamed sources. Any guess who Goodman's source might be? Notice that Goodman doesn't "own" this rumor; he's just passing on what he heard from someone. Gary Parrish just says GT has "reached out" to Larranaga and Capel, again without attribution, but right after the Klein tweet. You following this? Anyway, Duke "reaches out" to me regularly, and I'm still not the head coach.

If DBR has a rule against rumor mongering, this would be a good place to apply it. It's no different from, "My brother in law told some people, who called a reporter, who reported what my brother in law said, who tweeted my brother in law's scoop, which was then retweeted by someone famous."

Critical thinking, people. Critical thinking.

A report from the sports director of a TV station in Atlanta is a rumor? Are we supposed to ignore this until there's an official announcement? Maybe we should just close down this board and rely upon official Duke announcements. You do know this is being discussed on the main DBR page. Do you consider that beyond the pale?

sagegrouse
03-29-2016, 03:50 PM
of a very few elite programs....keeping them in Hotlanta is easier said than done I would suspect.

Having said that, yeah, there is a lot of talent to be mined...

Man, when I was 17, I wanted ... out of town!!!!

kAzE
03-29-2016, 03:50 PM
are we supposed to ignore this until there's an official announcement? maybe we should just close down this board and rely upon official duke announcements.

hmmmm

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 03:57 PM
I have found that cinder blocks are the only useful cross-generational measurement available. Other than that, the game has changed too much.

There just isn't anyway you can approve on a cinder block.... it is in a word... perfect!

The problem with using blocks as measurement tools, is the amount of mortar between the blocks.... old school mason's were minimalists by nature and necessity. The modern mason's tend to be a more liberal and excessive as mortar mixing has become much more efficient and conserving mortar is not as big an issue as it once was. This generational change in mortar application makes it much more difficult to take accurate readings.

You really need to know the period when the cinderblock wall was erected to get a good read. It's tricky.

Henderson
03-29-2016, 04:00 PM
A report from the sports director of a TV station in Atlanta is a rumor? Are we supposed to ignore this until there's an official announcement? Maybe we should just close down this board and rely upon official Duke announcements. You do know this is being discussed on the main DBR page. Do you consider that beyond the pale?

You're right, of course. It was just kind of an inside joke. I'm 100% for the free flow of information.

COYS
03-29-2016, 04:01 PM

I don't think this is true. Favors was in the 2010 draft. Hewitt left the following year. From Bosh all the way through to Favors, Hewitt recruited quite well. That wasn't his problem.

Also, Atlanta has changed a lot in the last five to six years. The area around Tech is much cooler now. Atlanta, in general, has improved in my opinion. I see being located in Atlanta as a net positive for recruiting.

Henderson
03-29-2016, 04:04 PM
The area around Tech is much cooler now.

We might need a Varsity report to verify that statement.:D

OldPhiKap
03-29-2016, 04:18 PM
There just isn't anyway you can approve on a cinder block... it is in a word... perfect!

The problem with using blocks as measurement tools, is the amount of mortar between the blocks... old school mason's were minimalists by nature and necessity. The modern mason's tend to be a more liberal and excessive as mortar mixing has become much more efficient and conserving mortar is not as big an issue as it once was. This generational change in mortar application makes it much more difficult to take accurate readings.

You really need to know the period when the cinderblock wall was erected to get a good read. It's tricky.

Don't even start me on false facade readings. I saw some video of Jabari Parker in high school and calculated his vertical at 59 inches. Really got me pumped. It was not until later that I realized he was standing in front of fiber cement veneer siding. Really shook my faith in science.

devildeac
03-29-2016, 04:57 PM

Well, they generally wow (almost) everybody here and tend to signal great college careers and, oh, never mind. :o ;) :rolleyes:

devildeac
03-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Cremins got many of his great players through his contacts back in NYC, although ATL was not as renowned a cool place as it became after the 1996 Olympics. For many in NYC, ATL was still beyond the sticks.

"... beyond the sticks?"

Kinda like my golf shots :o .

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Well, they generally wow (almost) everybody here and tend to signal great college careers and, oh, never mind. :o ;) :rolleyes:

Well, I believe, I found some "youtube highlight reels of Evans the senior in action", but I'm rather certain it's against DBR rules to post them!

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

Yep, it barely evens looks like a basket these days.

luvdahops
03-29-2016, 09:03 PM
I don't think this is true. Favors was in the 2010 draft. Hewitt left the following year. From Bosh all the way through to Favors, Hewitt recruited quite well. That wasn't his problem.

Also, Atlanta has changed a lot in the last five to six years. The area around Tech is much cooler now. Atlanta, in general, has improved in my opinion. I see being located in Atlanta as a net positive for recruiting.

While Hewitt had a steady string of McD's from 2006-2009 (Young, Crittendon, Lawal, Shumpert, Favors), the overall talent level arguably peaked in 2007 (freshman year for Young and Crittendon). The depth of talent after that got progressively weaker, with only the 2010 team (with junior Lawal, soph Shumpert and freshman Favors) at all competitive in conference play. The 2005 team, for example, had Jarrett Jack, Will Bynam and Anthony Morrow, all of whom went on to long NBA careers, along with 2-time All-ACC pick BJ Elder, Aussie center Luke Senscher and the highly recruited Ismail Muhammed.

I will concede that I am not as up to speed on the latest in Atlanta, and especially improvements in the area around Tech. It was a bit of a no-mans land when I lived in Atlanta in the late 80s. But I stand by all my other points.

YmoBeThere
03-29-2016, 11:19 PM
I stand by all my other points.

You may be standing by your points, but I for one am taking this lying down. Until I get the scoop from Les or the semi-flightless fowl achieve lift off, I'm more worried about getting steamrolled by the Big Red Machine than decked by the Rambling Wreck.

And with that, I'm being Benched by Charlie Hustle.

CDu
03-30-2016, 07:37 AM
While Hewitt had a steady string of McD's from 2006-2009 (Young, Crittendon, Lawal, Shumpert, Favors), the overall talent level arguably peaked in 2007 (freshman year for Young and Crittendon). The depth of talent after that got progressively weaker, with only the 2010 team (with junior Lawal, soph Shumpert and freshman Favors) at all competitive in conference play. The 2005 team, for example, had Jarrett Jack, Will Bynam and Anthony Morrow, all of whom went on to long NBA careers, along with 2-time All-ACC pick BJ Elder, Aussie center Luke Senscher and the highly recruited Ismail Muhammed.

I will concede that I am not as up to speed on the latest in Atlanta, and especially improvements in the area around Tech. It was a bit of a no-mans land when I lived in Atlanta in the late 80s. But I stand by all my other points.

Not to mention Mario West, who also played a few years in the NBA.

RamblinRed
03-30-2016, 08:09 AM
Not to mention Mario West, who also played a few years in the NBA.

West was one of my favs. A walk on who made it all the way to the NBA.

Hewitt's recruiting tailed significantly late as his relationships with the local coaches got frayed.

The area around GT is now the hottest area in Atlanta. They are in the heart of Midtown (they built a bridge at 5th street over the interstate) and created a whole new area called Tech Square. A decade later it is now surrounded by condos and apartments and is a very happening area. My daughter who graduates this spring and will be working in Atlanta wants to move to that part of town.
They have a big start up incubator there for tech companies and NCR is moving its headquarters to a new office building they are building right there.

From what little info is getting out (the AD is running this search - no search firm, no school search committee - he did the same when he was AD at Xavier and hired Thad Matta, Sean Miller and Chris Mack), Capel imo appears to be in the final 2.

lotusland
03-30-2016, 08:16 AM

Apparently the Braves disagree.

Edouble
03-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Tech is not near Turner Field, which is figuratively and literally just on the other side of the tracks (I-20). Gentrification has been pushed all the way to I-20, but has struggled to make it south of that demarcation.

budwom
03-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Man, when I was 17, I wanted ... out of town!!!!

Same for moi! Sure, Atlanta produces lots of talented kids, but staying at home to play for GT just isn't all that
enticing for top 50 kids who can play almost anywhere they want. Every big city hoop teams has a goal of
luring the local talent, and for the most part it just doesn't work out that way.

COYS
03-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Ouch. The Braves' move is painful for so many reasons. But that's for the OT board . . . or perhaps even the Public Policy board.

Spanarkel
03-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Just heard interview with GT AD Mike Bobinski on ATL's 680 The Fan. Although totally noncommittal about the actual candidates, Bobinski did state he would not object to hiring a HC that might stay 3-5 years at GT and then move on to a "bigger opportunity." I guess that stance would be typical for an institution like GT(excellent opportunity, but not upper echelon of college Bball). FWIW.

YmoBeThere
03-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Hmmm, maybe the Hewitt era wasn't so bad after all?

JasonEvans
03-30-2016, 11:59 PM
Just heard interview with GT AD Mike Bobinski on ATL's 680 The Fan. Although totally noncommittal about the actual candidates, Bobinski did state he would not object to hiring a HC that might stay 3-5 years at GT and then move on to a "bigger opportunity." I guess that stance would be typical for an institution like GT(excellent opportunity, but not upper echelon of college Bball). FWIW.

Sounds like he is laying the groundwork for Capel to come there and then move back to Duke when K retires.

-Jason "I'm hoping K and Capel cut a deal that Capel won't go after Wendell Carter" Evans

53n206
03-31-2016, 12:36 AM
K's other assistante to head coaches (Notre Dame exception) not been exactly world beaters. However they have time. If Capel were to go to Atlanta and turn the program around it would put some pressure on the Duke administration to name him as Coach K's successor.

SmartDevil
03-31-2016, 03:48 AM
I think Capel already has the inside track to succeed K when the time comes. But if Jeff leaves for GT now...but is still rebuilding the GT program when K decides to step down (possibly due to an unanticipated health problem), Jeff might not have the advantage he currently has.

Tough decision whether to accept GT job now if offer is extended.

Maybe the answer is a creative Duke contract increasing Capel's salary in his current role by a very significant amount every year--and a healthy buyout if Duke does not name him HC when K eventually steps down ???

devildeac
03-31-2016, 07:01 AM
Just some local info/insight about the GT and Vandy jobs:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article69084707.html

And for the dismissive poster who thought Capel to Vandy wasn't worthy of any discussion:

"If Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt have indeed expressed an interest in talking to Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel about their coaching vacancies, as they have been reported to have done, it shows they’re starting their searches in the right frame of mind."

sagegrouse
03-31-2016, 09:06 AM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article69084707.html

And for the dismissive poster who thought Capel to Vandy wasn't worthy of any discussion:

"If Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt have indeed expressed an interest in talking to Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel about their coaching vacancies, as they have been reported to have done, it shows they’re starting their searches in the right frame of mind."

Here's more opinion from Luke DeCock:

It’s only reasonable and prudent that schools like Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt would inquire about Capel. They’re also exceedingly likely to be rebuffed. If Capel was going to leave Duke, he had a prime opportunity with Arizona State immediately after the Final Four last year. Capel’s decision to stay certainly hinted at some kind of arrangement, formal or otherwise, regarding his role in Duke’s post-Krzyzewski future.

Unless something has changed for Capel since then, his answer this time around is like to be the same.

I dunno, Luke, it's been out there a few days and not shot down. I suspect that Capel has talked or will talk to both and find out what the offers might be. Then, we'll see ....

duke blue brewcrew
03-31-2016, 09:12 AM

I haven't commented yet on this topic, because I didn't want to sound dismissive. I agree that Capel is one of the hot names in coaching, as well he should be. I certainly hope he does not leave Duke for one of those opportunities. I find it hard to imagine he would leave the Blue Devils now when he's the perceived predecessor for the legendary Coach K. I get that perceptions are no guarantee, but he has a good thing going at Duke right now. Hopefully he is properly incented to stay.

devildeac
03-31-2016, 09:27 AM
I haven't commented yet on this topic, because I didn't want to sound dismissive. I agree that Capel is one of the hot names in coaching, as well he should be. I certainly hope he does not leave Duke for one of those opportunities. I find it hard to imagine he would leave the Blue Devils now when he's the perceived predecessor for the legendary Coach K. I get that perceptions are no guarantee, but he has a good thing going at Duke right now. Hopefully he is properly incented to stay.

Oh, I agree. After talking with a friend of mine yesterday who talked with Capel recently, all indications were he was very, very happy here. But, these two jobs weren't open then either, so I'll ASSume he's a potential candidate for either/both opportunities and believe he's staying when there's official word from him/Duke that he's remaining in Derm. Not fretting over it much at all. ;)

Troublemaker
03-31-2016, 09:31 AM
K's other assistante to head coaches (Notre Dame exception) not been exactly world beaters.

One thing about this. I don't believe Northwestern could've asked for much more from Chris Collins through 3 years. He's done very well so far. Their 20-12 record this year is their best season in terms of winning pct since the early 1930s, and Chris could give them their first NCAA tournament appearance EVER next season. Northwestern historically has just been a horrible program.

If Chris takes NU to a couple of NCAATs before Coach K retires, it will probably give him the best resume of any former assistant. Now, whether he would want to leave a program he built up located in his hometown Chicago area for his alma mater Duke, is another matter. And, of course, the job could be offered to someone else.

FerryFor50
03-31-2016, 09:48 AM
One thing about this. I don't believe Northwestern could've asked for much more from Chris Collins through 3 years. He's done very well so far. Their 20-12 record this year is their best season in terms of winning pct since the early 1930s, and Chris could give them their first NCAA tournament appearance EVER next season. Northwestern historically has just been a horrible program.

If Chris takes NU to a couple of NCAATs before Coach K retires, it will probably give him the best resume of any former assistant. Now, whether he would want to leave a program he built up located in his hometown Chicago area for his alma mater Duke, is another matter. And, of course, the job could be offered to someone else.

Yeah, but Capel already is 1-0* at Duke. :p

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Yeah, but Capel already is 1-0* at Duke. :p
And at GT's expense. They may have been impressed. ;)

sagegrouse
03-31-2016, 10:51 AM

Ha-ha! Wasn't the "perceived predecessor for the legendary Coach K" a guy named Bill Foster?

duke blue brewcrew
03-31-2016, 12:29 PM
Ha-ha! Wasn't the "perceived predecessor for the legendary Coach K" a guy named Bill Foster?

Nice catch, I clearly needed more coffee AND a dictionary this morning before posting :)

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Owner of the Rivals.com Georgia Tech site says the Jackets will hire Bryce Drew.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/716284531901403138)
Background checks and the way #GaTech (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GaTech?src=hash) does stuff, don't expect an official announcement until next week on Drew.

jimsumner
04-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Owner of the Rivals.com Georgia Tech site says the Jackets will hire Bryce Drew.

Kelly Quinlan ‏@Kelly_Quinlan (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan) 3h3 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan/status/716284531901403138)
Background checks and the way #GaTech (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GaTech?src=hash) does stuff, don't expect an official announcement until next week on Drew.

With all due respect for Brian Gregory, this seems like an upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tech start making some noise in the ACC in a few years.

RepoMan
04-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Think how bad it must feel to be a Pitt fan

OldPhiKap
04-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Think how bad it must feel to be a Pitt fan

You mean, like every day?