PDA

View Full Version : 2016 McDonald's All-American Game

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Searched, but didn't see a thread on this yet.

The game itself will be on Wednesday night, 9pm ET ESPN

Frank Jackson will play on the West.

Jayson Tatum and Marques Bolden will play on the East.

Tonight in about half an hour (8pm ET, ESPN2) will be the dunk and 3-pt shooting contest.

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Frank will be part of the dunk contest. No Dukies in the 3-pt contest.

UVA recruit Kyle Guy is also part of the dunk contest.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CerC8rLW4AAIj3S.jpg

subzero02
03-28-2016, 07:58 PM
When is the last time we haven't had a competitor in the 3 point contest?

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 08:09 PM
I think it's been awhile.

Tatum IS going to participate in something called the Legends and Stars shootout with two teammates: http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/MediaCenter/2016/2016-game-materials/2016-Jamfest-Participants.html

CDu
03-28-2016, 08:11 PM
When is the last time we haven't had a competitor in the 3 point contest?

It has been a while.

2015: Kennard
2014: Allen
2013: Jones
2012: Sulaimon
2011: Did Rivers or Cook or Gbinije compete in the shootout?
2010: Irving
2009: Kelly
2008: Did Williams compete?
2007:Singler or Smith?
2006: Scheyer
2005: Paulus?
2004: Nelson?
2003: I don't think Deng did

fraggler
03-28-2016, 08:17 PM
It has been a while.

I think both Rivers and Cook were in it.

Can't figure out/remember if Kyrie was in it in 2010.

subzero02
03-28-2016, 08:20 PM
It has been a while.

2010: Irving
2009: Kelly
2008: Did Williams compete?
2007:Singler or Smith?
2006: Scheyer
2005: Paulus?
2004: Nelson?
2003: I don't think Deng did

I can't imagine Austin passing up an open 3 point shot...

mr. synellinden
03-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Spoiler alert. Mr. Jackson is a good dunker. He can jump high.

Perfect 70 on second dunk - a pretty sick windmill.

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Frank with two very good, but not great, dunks. But will probably advance because everyone else has stunk it up.

dukelifer
03-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Tatum impressing- I can see why. That is a Kobe like step back jumper.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DH52WQpbVFY

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Frank with a very stylish 360 dunk to set himself up well to win.

Kyle Guy needs a perfect score to match

PalmettoExpat
03-28-2016, 09:36 PM
Frank with two very good, but not great, dunks. But will probably advance because everyone else has stunk it up.

FRANK WINS! We're a lucky team... kid is special.

Olympic Fan
03-28-2016, 10:20 PM
Watched the show -- as noted, Frank Johnson wins the dunk contest. I think alone among the competitors, he didn't miss a dunk.

He's the fourth Duke player to win the dunk contest, following Ricky Price, Gerald Henderson and Grayson Allen.

Tatum's team won the Legends and Stars Shootout, but that was mainly due to teammate Amber Rameriz, who made the two toughest shots in the competition. All Tatum did was hit a foul line jumper.

Kentucky-bound Malik Monk beat out Virginia-bound Kyle Guy for the 3-point win.

I hate to say it, but I loved to see Trevor Ferguson flop in both the 3-point contest and the dunk contest. Not his fault, but ESPN opened the show with Ferguson, touting him as the first guy poised to win the dunk and 3-point competition in the same year -- he didn't come close in either competition.

One bit of news -- the commentators quoted Jeff Goodman as saying that FSU freshman Dwayne Bacon, widely presumed to be turning pro ths spring, would in fact return to school for his sophomore year. Big news if true.

rsvman
03-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Watched the show -- as noted, Frank Johnson wins the dunk contest.
He's the fourth Duke player to win the dunk contest, following Ricky Price, Gerald Henderson and Grayson Allen.

Johnson, Jackson.......what's the difference?

Furniture
03-28-2016, 10:46 PM
FRANK WINS! We're a lucky team... kid is special.

He played the dunk competition very smartly if you ask me. He seems quite mature and very strong. Well spoken too. Non of this 'man' comments when talking to the female announcer that we hear quite often from other young men.

CDu
03-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Watched the show -- as noted, Frank Johnson wins the dunk contest. I think alone among the competitors, he didn't miss a dunk.

Tatum's team won the Legends and Stars Shootout, but that was mainly due to teammate Amber Rameriz, who made the two toughest shots in the competition. All Tatum did was hit a foul line jumper.

Kentucky-bound Malik Monk beat out Virginia-bound Kyle Guy for the 3-point win.

I hate to say it, but I loved to see Trevor Ferguson flop in both the 3-point contest and the dunk contest. Not his fault, but ESPN opened the show with Ferguson, touting him as the first guy poised to win the dunk and 3-point competition in the same year -- he didn't come close in either competition.

One bit of news -- the commentators quoted Jeff Goodman as saying that FSU freshman Dwayne Bacon, widely presumed to be turning pro ths spring, would in fact return to school for his sophomore year. Big news if true.

I assume you mean Frank JACKson and TERRENCE Ferguson. Frank Johnson and Trevor Ferguson used up their eligibility years ago.

FerryFor50
03-28-2016, 10:52 PM
He played the dunk competition very smartly if you ask me. He seems quite mature and very strong. Well spoken too. Non of this 'man' comments when talking to the female announcer that we hear quite often from other young men.

He definitely seemed like a strong kid - thick around his chest, pretty strong looking arms.

subzero02
03-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Frank Jackson is a stud... after watching his YouTube highlights the day of his commitment, I said that most years he'd be a sure fire top 5 talent.

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 11:40 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Frank gets any play at PG whatsoever in Wednesday's game. I would assume Lonzo Ball will start at PG for the West.

In case anyone's wondering, here is Frank's game log for his senior season (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/high-school/player/stats/149753/1/jackson-frank).

And here are his summary statistics (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/high-school/team/lone-peak/boys-basketball/stats). Frank averaged 2.9 assists/gm, third-most on his high school team.

He did lead his team in scoring (28 ppg) and rebounding (6.3 rpg)

SoCalDukeFan
03-28-2016, 11:54 PM
After watching the 2 elite 8 games on Saturday I needed more hoops so I watched most of the second half of Chino Hills winning the state championship.

The announcer and also the color guy (Casey Jacobson) rated the best CA point guards ever. Jason Kidd 1, Gary Peyton 3, Baron Davis 4, Jacque Vaughn 5. Lonzon Ball was 2.

If I were coaching the West he would be my point guard.

SoCal

Troublemaker
03-28-2016, 11:57 PM
And here are his summary statistics (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/high-school/team/lone-peak/boys-basketball/stats). Frank averaged 2.9 assists/gm, third-most on his high school team.

This is in line with his assisting in Adidas events, where he averaged 2.7 assists/gm (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/custom/adidas/indianapolisplayer?id=50165&teamplayerid=29317&css=https%3a%2f%2fbasketball.exposureevents.com%2f content%2fexternal%2fadidas.css)

Frank is a combo guard that leans more towards scoring than distributing at this juncture in his development.

Here is his DraftExpress scouting report (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Frank-Jackson-89588/) that pretty much says the same thing in the section on weaknesses.

Channing
03-29-2016, 07:57 AM
A hyper athletic 5* scoring guard who won the dunk contest but is overshadowed by the more highly rated recruits in his class. I feel like I've read that book before.

vfefrenzy
03-29-2016, 08:45 AM
A hyper athletic 5* scoring guard who won the dunk contest but is overshadowed by the more highly rated recruits in his class. I feel like I've read that book before.

I really enjoyed it the first time, and hope the sequel is even better.

fraggler
03-29-2016, 08:46 AM
I really enjoyed it the first time, and hope the sequel is even better.

And the first book might not even be finished yet!

dukejim1
03-29-2016, 08:54 AM
It'll be interesting to see if Frank gets any play at PG whatsoever in Wednesday's game. I would assume Lonzo Ball will start at PG for the West.

In case anyone's wondering, here is Frank's game log for his senior season (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/high-school/player/stats/149753/1/jackson-frank).

He did lead his team in scoring (28 ppg) and rebounding (6.3 rpg)

And he may be our only PG next year

Channing
03-29-2016, 08:57 AM
If I can get ahead of myself just a bit ... Jackson and Allen in the back court at the same time momentarily lets me forget the dirty feet are two wins away from proving that cheaters do sometimes prosper.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2016, 09:36 AM

flyingdutchdevil
03-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Actually, I think the best Frank Jackson comparison is...Grayson Allen. Combo guard who is an elite athlete (at least by college standards) and is both adapt at driving and 3pt shooting? Didn't come in with the reputation as a facilitator (in Grayson's defense, he was a 2 guard rather than a combo guard)? Listed at 6'3" but plays the games like he's 6'6"?

The one thing about Grayson is that he is a much better passer than I would have thought. He averaged 3.5 assists a game, which is by far the highest on the team (Thornton is second at 2.6) and also had the second highest assists per 40 min. If Jackson can add a passing component to his game, we basically can have double Graysons.

fraggler
03-29-2016, 09:55 AM

Thank goodness I had already finished swallowing my coffee before I saw this. LOL!

fraggler
03-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Actually, I think the best Frank Jackson comparison is...Grayson Allen. Combo guard who is an elite athlete (at least by college standards) and is both adapt at driving and 3pt shooting? Didn't come in with the reputation as a facilitator (in Grayson's defense, he was a 2 guard rather than a combo guard)? Listed at 6'3" but plays the games like he's 6'6"?

The one thing about Grayson is that he is a much better passer than I would have thought. He averaged 3.5 assists a game, which is by far the highest on the team (Thornton is second at 2.6) and also had the second highest assists per 40 min. If Jackson can add a passing component to his game, we basically can have double Graysons.

I think Frank might have a slight edge in quickness and explosiveness while Grayson has a shooting edge. Hopefully, they get to play together next year and we get to compare side by side.

Channing
03-29-2016, 10:21 AM
As a side bar, I would love to see K recall an older set play he used to run with J-Wil and occasionally D. Jones. I think either Grayson or Frank could be very effective with the back door alley oop.

dukelifer
03-29-2016, 10:25 AM

Doubtful. I am sure there would be a grad transfer if it came to that.

Troublemaker
03-29-2016, 11:12 AM
And he may be our ... PG next year

I have a tough time calling Frank more than a combo guard. He didn't even play PG on his high school team.

If Derryck disappoints and doesn't display a huge frosh-to-soph jump in his game next season at Duke, then I think Frank is only in the mix to play PG but not necessarily the favorite. It could be Grayson, Matt, Luke, OR Frank who could end up playing PG. Or it could be even more of a timeshare than it was this season.

fraggler
03-29-2016, 11:52 AM
I have a tough time calling Frank more than a combo guard. He didn't even play PG on his high school team.

If Derryck disappoints and doesn't display a huge frosh-to-soph jump in his game next season at Duke, then I think Frank is only in the mix to play PG but not necessarily the favorite. It could be Grayson, Matt, Luke, OR Frank who could end up playing PG. Or it could be even more of a timeshare than it was this season.

I'd agree about Jackson at this point, but Jay Williams didn't play point guard on his high school team, either. I don't expect anyone on our team to be a pass-first distributor like Tyus or other PGs of the past, but with the number of slashers on this team, having one guy run the show doesn't make as much sense. I see us having 3-4 guys including Tatum that end up averaging 3 assists a game and taking turns initiating offense, kind of like this year since Thornton even was more of a scoring PG than distributor.

MChambers
03-29-2016, 11:57 AM
As a side bar, I would love to see K recall an older set play he used to run with J-Wil and occasionally D. Jones. I think either Grayson or Frank could be very effective with the back door alley oop.

There was a guard named Dawkins who was pretty good with that play.

ChillinDuke
03-29-2016, 11:58 AM

Yeah, I think that's right. It's Derryck's job for the taking. But failing his taking it, I think we'll see essentially what we saw this season: a timeshare across everyone. Remember, Derryck didn't even start much down the stretch. He obviously played solid minutes, but we'll never know if that was out of necessity or not.

Failing Derryck, Frank will definitely be in the mix. But I wouldn't wager anything other than monopoly money on him winning the job though, at least for anything more than an obvious timeshare.

- Chillin

COYS
03-29-2016, 12:12 PM
I'd agree about Jackson at this point, but Jay Williams didn't play point guard on his high school team, either. I don't expect anyone on our team to be a pass-first distributor like Tyus or other PGs of the past, but with the number of slashers on this team, having one guy run the show doesn't make as much sense. I see us having 3-4 guys including Tatum that end up averaging 3 assists a game and taking turns initiating offense, kind of like this year since Thornton even was more of a scoring PG than distributor.

I agree with this. As long as the combination of Derryck, Luke, Grayson, Frank, Matt and Jayson are collectively comfortable bringing the ball up the court, I'm not too worried about the lack of pure point guard. Coach K has had excellent teams that did not feature pure distributors. And even though some of the more recent teams that did not feature pure point guards were not necessarily likely threats to win the title (2008, 2009, 2012, 2016), they were ALL top 10 KenPom offenses and, at least in 2012 and 2016, spent some time at the top of the rankings during the season. Those teams had either size limitations ('08 and '09) or defensive issues (2012 and 2016) that were much bigger issues. Size will DEFINITELY not be an issue for Duke next year. I doubt scoring will, either, given that everyone in basically any conceivable starting lineup will be able to put the ball through the hoop.

I'm mostly hoping for a strong showing on the defensive end. We've been alternating seasons since 2011 with '12, '14, and '16 being bad defensive years while '13 (with a healthy Ryan) and '15 (come tournament time) have been better. I don't think it's a coincidence that '13 and '15 happen to be the most successful seasons during that time frame. I'd much rather Frank be able to play strong defense next season than play as a prototypical point guard, if I were forced to choose.

Olympic Fan
03-29-2016, 12:15 PM
You guys haven't mentioned one possibility.

K sells Grayson -- who did lead Duke in assists this past season -- on the idea of coming back and learning to play point guard.

At his size, he would be much more attractive to the NBA as a scoring point than as a wing guard. It wouldn't be such a huge jump to go from being a guy who facilitates in the halfcourt to a full-fledged scoring point.

Duke would still have Tatum, Jackson, Kennard and Jones on the wing. That's not too bad.

flyingdutchdevil
03-29-2016, 12:21 PM

K sells Grayson -- who did lead Duke in assists this past season -- on the idea of coming back and learning to play point guard.

At his size, he would be much more attractive to the NBA as a scoring point than as a wing guard. It wouldn't be such a huge jump to go from being a guy who facilitates in the halfcourt to a full-fledged scoring point.

Duke would still have Tatum, Jackson, Kennard and Jones on the wing. That's not too bad.

Completely agreed. Grayson could look at Jerryd Bayless as a comp (19.7 points per game, 4.0 assists per game in his only year at Arizona). Jerryd is a score-first PG, but he's not a bad passer. In the NBA, Bayless plays more off-guard (especially with the Greek Freak taking more PG responsibilities), but he's been averaging around 3.0 assists a game.

Like the idea of Grayson taking PG responsibilities next year; frees up the 2 spot for Kennard/Jones/Jackson.

COYS
03-29-2016, 12:26 PM

I definitely agree with this. In fact, I've discussed it in another thread. I think Grayson can absolutely become a very strong lead guard. Although I don't think he needs to be (or necessarily should be) our primary point guard, I think he can play that role a lot more next season.

fraggler
03-29-2016, 01:17 PM

I mean, if we have to use labels still, sure. What is the real difference between a scoring point guard and a short shooting guard if they both average say 4 assists a game and initiate offense from time to time (like Grayson currently)? With the potential of so many good ballhandler/slasher/passers next year, would we really want to only run a traditional PG oriented offense with Grayson? Now being able to consistently guard and stop point guards will definitely help him at the next level with his size.

Kedsy
03-29-2016, 01:32 PM
What is the real difference between a scoring point guard and a short shooting guard if they both average say 4 assists a game and initiate offense from time to time (like Grayson currently)?

In the NBA, there's a huuuuuge difference. You have to be able to perform a particular offensive role AND defend the position.

TruBlu
03-29-2016, 01:43 PM

I'm a little surprised we didn't see Grayson get some oops this past year. Probably hard to pull it off with one or two defenders grabbing his arms and jersey.

fraggler
03-29-2016, 01:50 PM
In the NBA, there's a huuuuuge difference. You have to be able to perform a particular offensive role AND defend the position.

I guess. Definitely on D, hence my last sentence. On offense, it would depend on which system he goes to. I see him as a combo guard coming off of the bench more than a starting 1 or 2. For that role, I think he has the shooting and vision to do that already. Better ball handling and a midrange game will help him in either role. At Duke, what does training him to be a point guard entail? He is already our leading assist man and our likely primary returning ballhandler. Running a little more pick and roll now that we have some potential better roll-men?

johnb
03-29-2016, 02:30 PM
This link is a few years old, but it outlines 13 basketball positions rather than the usual 5. I like the model in that it allows for different types of player to be listed under, say, point guard, better reflects reality, and probably relates to K's preference for not labeling players by position...

http://www.wired.com/2012/04/analytics-basketball/

And an update:

http://gizmodo.com/5991310/the-10-hidden-positions-in-basketball-in-beautiful-visualizations

The original article:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Alagappan-Muthu-EOSMarch2012PPT.pdf

Ichabod Drain
03-29-2016, 02:42 PM
There will be a scrimmage on ESPNU at 3PM ET for anyone interested.

Troublemaker
03-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Frank Jackson will play on the West.

Jayson Tatum and Marques Bolden will play on the East.

Correction:

Tatum on the East squad.

Jackson and Bolden on the West squad.

Not sure how I misread that.

Troublemaker
03-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Some Tatum highlights from McDonald's practice
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwGxoWDZwg)
I have a feeling we're going to use the post a lot next season. Not just by going to Giles, Jefferson, Jeter, and possibly Bolden.

But also Tatum from the midpost / high post.

Josh Gershon ‏@JoshGershon (https://twitter.com/JoshGershon) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JoshGershon/status/714835827067588608)
Really good day of McDs AA practice for #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) signee Jayson Tatum. Can really create his own shot; advanced footwork for HS wing.

Keeping It Heel ‏@KeepingItHeel (https://twitter.com/KeepingItHeel) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KeepingItHeel/status/714838582943485953)
Jayson Tatum was abusing defenders in the post with his moves. Duke got a good one.

BD80
03-29-2016, 10:30 PM
I have a feeling we're going to use the post a lot next season. Not just by going to Giles, Jefferson, Jeter, and possibly Bolden.

Looks like we have someone who can blow up a zone from the free throw line, make quick shots or quick passes for three-point shots or dump down for a post score.

DavidBenAkiva
03-29-2016, 10:30 PM

Josh Gershon ‏@JoshGershon (https://twitter.com/JoshGershon) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JoshGershon/status/714835827067588608)
Really good day of McDs AA practice for #Duke (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Duke?src=hash) signee Jayson Tatum. Can really create his own shot; advanced footwork for HS wing.

Keeping It Heel ‏@KeepingItHeel (https://twitter.com/KeepingItHeel) 11h11 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KeepingItHeel/status/714838582943485953)
Jayson Tatum was abusing defenders in the post with his moves. Duke got a good one.

Quick first step, that fadeaway jumper, can finger roll or drive with authority. There's a lot to like.

kAzE
03-30-2016, 12:55 AM

Wow, that's some really impressive stuff. The defense wasn't trying THAT hard, but those fade away shots from the post are awfully high degree of difficulty and nearly impossible to stop. He looks like he could potentially be the team's best crunch time scorer, even with Grayson on the team. Seems more skilled and fluid than Ingram offensively.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2016, 04:49 AM
I'm a little surprised we didn't see Grayson get some oops this past year. Probably hard to pull it off with one or two defenders grabbing his arms and jersey.

Look, I'm a big Duke fan and I admire Grayson's competitive fire, but you can't pretend he didn't have any "oops" this year. You probably just didn't notice it because ESPN likes to bury mistakes made by Duke players. If he sticks around, maybe his oops get more coverage.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-30-2016, 06:04 AM
Looks like we have someone who can blow up a zone from the free throw line, make quick shots or quick passes for three-point shots or dump down for a post score.
My thoughts exactly. He made some crazy quick moves. And with that fade away jumper, there'd be no good way of guarding him in the middle of the zone without opening up everyone on the perimeter or someone else down low. He looks like he could be the kind of zone buster that Hood was.

TruBlu
03-30-2016, 09:01 AM

Look, I'm a big Duke fan and I admire Grayson's competitive fire, but you can't pretend he didn't have any "oops" this year. You probably just didn't notice it because ESPN likes to bury mistakes made by Duke players. If he sticks around, maybe his oops get more coverage.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, as by "oops", I was referencing Channing's post about alley "oops". Not "oops" as in goof-ups.

If your post was humor, my apologies.

(That's 2 apologies in one conversation. I learned this method by having discussions with my wife.):o

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Sorry if my post wasn't clear, as by "oops", I was referencing Channing's post about alley "oops". Not "oops" as in goof-ups.

If your post was humor, my apologies.

(That's 2 apologies in one conversation. I learned this method by having discussions with my wife.):o

Apparently, I need to hone my humor a bit more.

Indoor66
03-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Apparently, I need to hone my humor a bit more.

On this board that goes without saying as the PC meters are set to the maximum. :cool:

cato
03-30-2016, 11:03 AM
On this board that goes without saying as the PC meters are set to the maximum. :cool:

"PC meter" = Pun Contribution meter?

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 03:17 PM
Short blurbs about Tatum and Bolden in this free Scout article reviewing standout players at practice (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1656097-mcd-s-aag-top-performers)

Tatum - great footwork and can score in different ways.

Bolden - "arguably the biggest standout." Can rebound, be physical, contest shots, great hands, good touch

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Bump. 10 minutes away

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Bruce PascoeVerified account ‏@BrucePascoe (https://twitter.com/BrucePascoe) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BrucePascoe/status/715340805251072000)
Listed starters for McDonalds A-A game:

West: Ball, Monk, Jackson, Leaf, Allen.

East: Bradley, Fox, Ferguson, Adebayo, Tatum.

JNort
03-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Everyone looking bad early. All jump shots are falling short

Heaven's Guardian
03-30-2016, 09:13 PM
I really hope Jayson doesn't care about this game, because he isn't even pretending to play D. We don't need him to be a great defender, but we do need him to at least give effort.

MartyClark
03-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Just turned it on and have two observations.

1.Bad uniforms;

2. Really sloppy basketball thus far.

JNort
03-30-2016, 09:16 PM
I really hope Jayson doesn't care about this game, because he isn't even pretending to play D. We don't need him to be a great defender, but we do need him to at least give effort.

Nobody ever plays d in these games

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2016, 09:22 PM

As long as he gives effort between October through April he will be fine. This is a glorified scrimmage.

fraggler
03-30-2016, 09:29 PM

Big ball stopper on O, too.

Ichabod Drain
03-30-2016, 09:31 PM

Yea hasn't looked very promising so far. Again though its an all-star game.

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Are we really judging Jayson's potential at Duke based on what is going on in an All-American game where 1) nobody plays defense and 2) everyone is looking for their own shot?

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 09:41 PM
When Frank was in, he played mostly PG and he made a nice left-handed pass for a pick-n-pop 3.

That's the only thing I've liked about this game so far.

As always, the Hoop Summit is going to be of better quality than the McD game.

Still, the level of athleticism/talent in this class is clearly better than last year's class.

Jayson is losing the head-to-head matchup with Josh Jackson so far.

Bolden has posted up twice and gone 0-for-2.

fraggler
03-30-2016, 09:44 PM
Are we really judging Jayson's potential at Duke based on what is going on in an All-American game where 1) nobody plays defense and 2) everyone is looking for their own shot?

Not me - I have worried about his tendency to hold the ball since we were recruiting him. He has advanced, old-school, iso-ball skills. Much more developed than Ingram was at the same point. I think he will be a reliable bucket getter because of that. But it stops ball and body movement. I worry a little bit that he isn't a consistent 3pt shooter yet, as it was Ingram's 3pt shooting that allowed him to score in bursts and set up his drives. But I have faith K will coach him up and get good use out of his talents (a dream high post zone destroyer).

Faustus
03-30-2016, 09:45 PM
#10 recruiting class in the nation goes to... UNC????? Thanx, ESPN

diablesseblu
03-30-2016, 09:48 PM
Just turned it on and have two observations.

1.Bad uniforms;

2. Really sloppy basketball thus far.

Adidas seems incapable of making a good looking uniform.

PalmettoExpat
03-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Adidas seems incapable of making a good looking uniform.

So true. Hated the Miami/Michigan/Louisville set they put out this year. That weird broken-up patterned belt thing around the shorts? Not a fan.

Here's Miami version - https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwia5c6B6OnLAhXJtIMKHaX5BKYQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcaneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com %2F2015%2F10%2F23%2Fphotos-miami-hurricanes-unveil-new-adidas-basketball-uniforms%2F&psig=AFQjCNHQaK2tzOLqJ_1lxUsiP7PH9OxSvQ&ust=1459475485734167

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 10:00 PM
1st half stats

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce11QW3WsAEIhza.jpg

diablesseblu
03-30-2016, 10:01 PM
#10 recruiting class in the nation goes to... UNC????? Thanx, ESPN

Their shilling of UNC seems to know no bounds -- even the truth. :)

Duke76
03-30-2016, 10:10 PM
Their shilling of UNC seems to know no bounds -- even the truth. :)

that Grayson was coming back? i think I heard him say that

fraggler
03-30-2016, 10:12 PM
that Grayson was coming back? i think I heard him say that

I think he said "if" Grayson comes back that he and Frank would be a really good backcourt.

fraggler
03-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Bolden looks good on those alley-oops. Good ups and hands on the move. Looks better than Jeter did at the same stage.

dukelifer
03-30-2016, 10:14 PM

This game has degraded over the years. It is hard to watch. I much prefer the Hoop Summitt

AvlDukie
03-30-2016, 10:16 PM
I think he said "if" Grayson comes back that he and Frank would be a really good backcourt.

And JWill mentioning Allen of course gave Rose the opportunity to take yet another shot at Grayson

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2016, 10:18 PM
And JWill mentioning Allen of course gave Rose the opportunity to take yet another shot at Grayson

Do like I do and never pay attention to anything Jalen Rose says.

Newton_14
03-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Man, Bolden and Jackson look good! Loving the left hand use by Bolden. These two guys can play!

fraggler
03-30-2016, 10:31 PM
Frank 5-7 from 3 right now.

diablesseblu
03-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Do like I do and never pay attention to anything Jalen Rose says.

This entire coverage is painful. If I knew the players by their numbers, would mute the sound. Have been toggling back and forth between this and a "Law & Order" rerun.

PalmettoExpat
03-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Frank 5-7 from 3 right now.

He's also got an NBA-ready body coming out of high school in exactly the way Justise did.

That um, bodes well.

fraggler
03-30-2016, 10:41 PM
WTH, Jay Williams just said he would go Kansas or Kentucky if he was entering college now (with the priority being getting to the NBA as the background for the question).

diablesseblu
03-30-2016, 10:42 PM
WTH, Jay Williams just said he would go Kansas or Kentucky if he was entering college now (with the priority being getting to the NBA as the background for the question).

The audio quality of this coverage is not that clear. To be fair, the question was framed "other than Coach K, who?"

fraggler
03-30-2016, 10:47 PM
The audio quality of this coverage is not that clear. To be fair, the question was framed "other than Coach K, who?"

My bad, I missed the "other than Coach K" part.

mr. synellinden
03-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Frank for MVP? He is going to be a crowd favorite - at least at Cameron.

PalmettoExpat
03-30-2016, 10:55 PM
Frank for MVP? He is going to be a crowd favorite - at least at Cameron.

the Jacksons got co-MVP honors. (Frank and Josh)

19 points each.

Future is bright :cool:

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 11:14 PM
The West's best lineup included both Frank and Bolden in it. They might've been +20 if they did plus-minus.

Frank's PG play was a mixed bag, but he was definitely scorching the nets. He had a couple passes picked off in transition and he lost the ball once trying to split defenders on the pick-n-roll.

Bolden was really good in transition running the floor for alley-oops. He played some nice D on one pick-n-roll where he cut off Kobi Simmons on the baseline and then stole the kickout pass.

Jayson just had a poor game (no big deal) and got blocked a ton. Josh Jackson (#3 overall, per ESPN) beat him head-to-head. Still, Jayson looked very good attacking the basket in transition and showed a great free throw stroke.

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 11:16 PM

19 points each.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ce2F-18WwAIi37V.jpg

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 11:18 PM
In non-Duke related matters, Bam Adebayo is a stud. Big men shouldn't be able to move like that. Huge loss by NCSU to Kentucky.

Troublemaker
03-30-2016, 11:24 PM
Box score (http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/aag/en/MediaCenter/2016/2016-game-materials/2016-Boy-Results.html)

Furniture
03-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Did Jay say (via Capel) that Harry G is rehabbing at Duke three times a week? I hadn't heard that if true.

diablesseblu
03-30-2016, 11:28 PM
In non-Duke related matters, Bam Adebayo is a stud. Big men shouldn't be able to move like that. Huge loss by NCSU to Kentucky.

Exactly. Have watched Bam grow up here in eastern NC. Must say I am concerned about his playing for Cal. Makes me sad to consider. :(

luvdahops
03-30-2016, 11:29 PM

I have come, quite grudgingly, to sorta like Jalen. But for him to question anyone else's sportsmanship is beyond ironic and shows a complete lack of self-awareness. Same with Seth Greenberg trying to claim moral superiority over K in discussing the tripping incidents.

diablesseblu
03-30-2016, 11:35 PM
I have come, quite grudgingly, to sorta like Jalen. But for him to question anyone else's sportsmanship is beyond ironic and shows a complete lack of self-awareness. Same with Seth Greenberg trying to claim moral superiority over K in discussing the tripping incidents.

Kudos about Jalen. You are more ecumenical then I. I can give him a pass because, frankly, he's not that bright. While I'm happy Seth found work after VT, he's insufferable.

martydoesntfoul
03-31-2016, 12:07 AM

Those uniforms... makes me wonder if the official game car is an AMC Pacer...

devildeac
03-31-2016, 06:55 AM
Did Jay say (via Capel) that Harry G is rehabbing at Duke three times a week? I hadn't heard that if true.

Don't know about the # of times per week he's rehabbing but I did talk to a friend of mine yesterday and his sources related that the Duke staff is "pleased" with Giles' rehab so far and that he was "ahead of schedule."

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 07:01 AM

My understanding is that Duke's sports med folks are overseeing/doing the rehab, and this was cleared with the NCAA beforehand.

dukelifer
03-31-2016, 07:02 AM
The West's best lineup included both Frank and Bolden in it. They might've been +20 if they did plus-minus.

Frank's PG play was a mixed bag, but he was definitely scorching the nets. He had a couple passes picked off in transition and he lost the ball once trying to split defenders on the pick-n-roll.

Bolden was really good in transition running the floor for alley-oops. He played some nice D on one pick-n-roll where he cut off Kobi Simmons on the baseline and then stole the kickout pass.

Jayson just had a poor game (no big deal) and got blocked a ton. Josh Jackson (#3 overall, per ESPN) beat him head-to-head. Still, Jayson looked very good attacking the basket in transition and showed a great free throw stroke.
8-8 from the line. Likely where he will get a ton of points.

dukelifer
03-31-2016, 07:16 AM

19 points each.

Jackson joins Okafor, McRoberts, Redick and Hurley as Duke guys who won MVP or co-MVP.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Jackson joins Okafor, McRoberts, Redick and Hurley as Duke guys who won MVP or co-MVP.

And Grayson Allen, Gerald Henderson and Ricky Price as slam dunk contest winners.

cspan37421
03-31-2016, 08:28 AM

That's what Grayson "human pinball" Allen had expected.

BD80
03-31-2016, 08:31 AM

Those uniforms... makes me wonder if the official game car is an AMC Pacer...

Thank goodness the guy on the right side of the picture distracts from the uniforms!

Is he an agent? Gangster? Adidas rep? McDonalds rep?

Is there a difference?

flyingdutchdevil
03-31-2016, 08:39 AM
...Grayson Allen 2.0! With the shot to match!

DukeFanSince1990
03-31-2016, 08:42 AM
So Frank Jackson is our 3rd best player coming in? alright alright alright

flyingdutchdevil
03-31-2016, 08:49 AM
So Frank Jackson is our 3rd best player coming in? alright alright alright

Maybe the fourth best. Bolden ain't no slouch.

But yeah. I get what you're saying.

BTW - color me shocked that we are in the lead for Bolden. I'm not upset in the slightest, just very very surprised.

gam7
03-31-2016, 09:36 AM

Pharrell + 30 years (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Uz04w7L4Oqs/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAgo/7e0Nzmt0rZk/s0-c-k-no-ns/photo.jpg&imgrefurl=https://plus.google.com/u/0/101308266282077604965&h=1232&w=1232&tbnid=liMiyj2YTfPFgM:&tbnh=186&tbnw=186&docid=-pHiBEiXE35CfM&itg=1&client=safari&usg=__d1JB6D3GUgH3iW3Ie_PgS_N1Icg=)

Maybe the fourth best. Bolden ain't no slouch.

But yeah. I get what you're saying.

BTW - color me shocked that we are in the lead for Bolden. I'm not upset in the slightest, just very very surprised.

Agree. Someone (perhaps you) has opined on recruitments that have a Duke vs. non-Duke feel. This one has somehow had a non-Duke feel to it in my view, so I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if he does commit to Duke.

It is reasonably possible that if we get Bolden, and assuming Grayson comes back this year, we could have at least five (and maybe six) early entrants in next year's draft - Tatum, Giles, Jackson, Bolden, Allen (maybe Jeter)? I am absolutely psyched for next year already, but that is the type of turnover that concerns me and puts a lot of added pressure on getting it done on the recruiting trail. I think we'd be fortunate if two of those six return for the following year. It would be nice to have Capel stick around to help in this regard. Recruiting success has always been extremely important, but never more so than now.

Troublemaker
03-31-2016, 09:38 AM

Yeah, for stats-based analysts, Jayson's ability to get to the line will basically be his redeeming feature. I don't think the stats guys are going to like Jayson's long 2s, and he might not have a great 3-pt shooting pct. But his physical drives and postups will get him to the line where he shoots it very well.

Saratoga2
03-31-2016, 09:40 AM
My take was that Tatum is a very smooth ball handler with moves. His outside shot wasn't falling but from the line he was deadly. Made a nice move giving up a bucket late in the game to pass to another guy. He did great and will be all he is cracked up to be.

I heard Jackson won the slam dunk contest. Clearly that means he has great hops and body control to go along with his NBA ready body. He showed off a nice 3 point stroke in the game but is more a 2 guard with a good handle than a point. He will be up for consideration for a starting role next season.

I agree that Bolden, who has great size, performed better than Jeter did last year. Ran the floor well, aggressively dunked the ball and mixed it up inside. We have yet to see if he has moves around the basket but I liked what he showed us in the game. Hope he chooses Duke.

With Giles, Tatum, Jackson and possibly Bolden, we would have 4 freshmen competing to start with Jack White also competing for minutes since he is strong, athletic and has a reasonable handle. His contribution in the rebounding area might help him get minutes.

NIce to see such a great recruiting class in action.

devildeac
03-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Yeah, for stats-based analysts, Jayson's ability to get to the line will basically be his redeeming feature. I don't think the stats guys are going to like Jayson's long 2s, and he might not have a great 3-pt shooting pct. But his physical drives and postups will get him to the line where he shoots it very well.

He'll get to the line only if he works on his off-season "head snaps" and, then again, actually shooting FT is a big maybe ;) .

yancem
03-31-2016, 10:01 AM
My take was that Tatum is a very smooth ball handler with moves. His outside shot wasn't falling but from the line he was deadly. Made a nice move giving up a bucket late in the game to pass to another guy. He did great and will be all he is cracked up to be.

I heard Jackson won the slam dunk contest. Clearly that means he has great hops and body control to go along with his NBA ready body. He showed off a nice 3 point stroke in the game but is more a 2 guard with a good handle than a point. He will be up for consideration for a starting role next season.

I agree that Bolden, who has great size, performed better than Jeter did last year. Ran the floor well, aggressively dunked the ball and mixed it up inside. We have yet to see if he has moves around the basket but I liked what he showed us in the game. Hope he chooses Duke.

With Giles, Tatum, Jackson and possibly Bolden, we would have 4 freshmen competing to start with Jack White also competing for minutes since he is strong, athletic and has a reasonable handle. His contribution in the rebounding area might help him get minutes.

What you say about White may be true (I haven't had a chance to watch any of his videos) but based on the roster we will have next season, I think he will be more like Allen freshman year; talented and skilled but behind several complete studs. So unless we have a few injuries or transfers (or K completely changes his pension for short benches) I think he sees very little game time.

devildeac
03-31-2016, 10:07 AM
What you say about White may be true (I haven't had a chance to watch any of his videos) but based on the roster we will have next season, I think he will be more like Allen freshman year; talented and skilled but behind several complete studs. So unless we have a few injuries or transfers (or K completely changes his pension for short benches) I think he sees very little game time.

Just knowing someone is going to notice this anyway ;), I figured I'd be the early avian species here and offer this up as a correction:

penchant

Troublemaker
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Agree. Someone (perhaps you) has opined on recruitments that have a Duke vs. non-Duke feel. This one has somehow had a non-Duke feel to it in my view, so I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if he does commit to Duke.

This video might help give Marques more of a Duke feel. Based on how he talks about himself and also how his father and his high school coach talk about him as well. And the shot of his parents sitting with him in the bleachers, all smiling and laughing.

These Get 2 The Game videos always come out around this time and they always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside for our incoming freshmen and their families.

Also, Marques attends the same high schoo, DeSoto, as Matt Jones did. Coach K RAVES about DeSoto's coach being a great defensive coach; his graduates are prepared to play defense at the college level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGgAGTJdJ_Y

oakvillebluedevil
03-31-2016, 10:13 AM
Just knowing someone is going to notice this anyway ;), I figured I'd be the early avian species here and offer this up as a correction:

penchant

Rats, guess I'll have to retire all the puns I had ready to go

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2016, 10:18 AM

Good move. That gets old quick.

devildeac
03-31-2016, 10:19 AM

Nah, no need to retire them as I'd bet there will be plenty of opportunities in the near and distant future to post them. :o

Troublemaker
03-31-2016, 10:31 AM
These Get 2 The Game videos always come out around this time and they always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside for our incoming freshmen and their families.

Here are the ones for Jayson and Frank. None were made for the other Duke recruits.

Jayson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unVsXqwtPCA)

Frank (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJquhHeFxaY)

BigZ
03-31-2016, 10:41 AM
I believe Jackson is only the third guy to win the dunk contest and mvp. The other two guys are some guys named Jordan and James.

kAzE
03-31-2016, 11:03 AM
Only caught a tiny part of the game, but Frank Jackson looked pretty stellar shooting from deep. I never totally bought the Jay Williams comparison, since he seems much more suited to being a 2-guard, but he looks like he's further along physically at this point than Jay Williams was as a high school senior. Very exciting. He did commit 4 turnovers though, so maybe we should pump the brakes on Frank being a point guard just yet. Marques Bolden surprised me. I did not think he would be this far along in his development as a big man. He has very good body control for a 6'10" 18 year old. I hope we get him.

I'm not too worried about Jayson Tatum's off shooting night. Josh Jackson is a monster, and was a big reason Jayson couldn't get it going offensively. Josh is a special defensive player, and looks like he has #1 overall pick potential.

Ichabod Drain
03-31-2016, 11:04 AM
I believe Jackson is only the third guy to win the dunk contest and mvp. The other two guys are some guys named Jordan and James.

He's the 5th, and one of the others is Shabazz Muhammad...

But Frank is absolutely a stud.

Troublemaker
03-31-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm not too worried about Jayson Tatum's off shooting night. Josh Jackson is a monster, and was a big reason Jayson couldn't get it going offensively. Josh is a special defensive player, and looks like he has #1 overall pick potential.

If Kansas lands JJackson (KU is the Crystal Ball favorite, fwiw) to replace Selden, they'll be right there with Duke and UK next season. KU could claim to have the best starting perimeter in college in Mason-Graham-JJackson.

The 3 biggest powerhouse recruiting programs right now could be preseason 1-2-3. (Not that it matters. Obviously, where you are at the end of the season matters.)

Kedsy
03-31-2016, 11:55 AM
It is reasonably possible that if we get Bolden, and assuming Grayson comes back this year, we could have at least five (and maybe six) early entrants in next year's draft - Tatum, Giles, Jackson, Bolden, Allen (maybe Jeter)?

If Marques Bolden comes to Duke, absent injuries it's hard to imagine both he and Chase getting enough minutes next season to be early entrants in the draft. Especially if Grayson is on the roster.

As another poster said, there's almost no chance Jack White sees regular minutes with next year's roster. Much more likely he'll be competing with Javin DeLaurier, Antonio Vrankovic, and Sean Obi for mop-up minutes in 2016-17. As a sophomore or upperclassman, it could be another story.

DavidBenAkiva
03-31-2016, 12:07 PM
He's the 5th, and one of the others is Shabazz Muhammad...

But Frank is absolutely a stud.

I looked it up on Wikipedia after the game. Here's the list:

Jerry Stakchouse
Ronald Curry
LeBron James
Shabazz Muhammad
Frank Jackson

tux
03-31-2016, 12:14 PM
This video might help give Marques more of a Duke feel. Based on how he talks about himself and also how his father and his high school coach talk about him as well. And the shot of his parents sitting with him in the bleachers, all smiling and laughing.

Also, Marques attends the same high schoo, DeSoto, as Matt Jones did. Coach K RAVES about DeSoto's coach being a great defensive coach; his graduates are prepared to play defense at the college level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGgAGTJdJ_Y

Wow. He's an impressive kid. BTW: I was also really impressed with Frank Jackson and Josh Jackson --- they were interviewed a couple times during the McDonald's festivities and both came off as thoughtful and mature.

But I agree with you that the Bolten recruitment never seemed like it was headed Duke's way. Most Duke recruits follow a couple well-worn patterns. But it seems we find ourselves neck and neck with UK. Probably the combination of Jeter struggling a bit and Ingram leaving makes Bolten see potential minutes at the C spot next year. Giles can play in the middle in college but his natural spot is PF. A frontcourt of Bolten, Giles (if 100%), and Tatum would be other-worldly. Of course, Jeter could take a big step up after getting stronger this off-season and fill that role as well.

jimsumner
03-31-2016, 12:19 PM

Did you mean to omit DeLaurier? He's a pretty good long-term prospect. Probably better than White.

But no more likely to get major minutes next season than White, who would have to leapfrog Matt Jones and Luke Kennard to get any meaningful playing time. Tatum is likely to absorb much of the PT at the 3, with one of the 6-5ish guys taking what's left, along with playing at guard.

Way too many variables right now to make even a tentative depth chart. Allen, Bolden all still in the air. But I can't see White being real high on the food chain next season.

And gentle memo to tux. It's Bolden. With a D.

killerleft
03-31-2016, 12:21 PM

Looks like that may have be an option, but I think Duke has its point guard, if he is willing to work hard and take it. Derryck is easily the most natural option we have, and he is going to be a lockdown defender.

RepoMan
03-31-2016, 12:27 PM
Here are the ones for Jayson and Frank. None were made for the other Duke recruits.

Jayson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unVsXqwtPCA)

Frank (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJquhHeFxaY)

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Those videos are awesome!! What a great looking group of kids and families. I can't wait to see what next season has to offer!!

Kedsy
03-31-2016, 12:38 PM
A frontcourt of Bolten [sic], Giles (if 100%), and Tatum would be other-worldly. Of course, Jeter could take a big step up after getting stronger this off-season and fill that role as well.

Don't forget Amile Jefferson, who should be getting a fair amount of frontcourt minutes next season.

flyingdutchdevil
03-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Don't forget Amile Jefferson, who should be getting a fair amount of frontcourt minutes next season.

Yeah...I fail to see a scenario where either Bolden or Jeter leapfrog Jefferson in minutes.

MChambers
03-31-2016, 01:37 PM

I did not know that Nate James did that. He really is badass.:o

tux
03-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Yeah...I fail to see a scenario where either Bolden or Jeter leapfrog Jefferson in minutes.

Continuing this train of thought: I didn't forget about Amile but was just thinking about how the new pieces would fit together. If we get Bolden, and Grayson decides to stay, we would have at least 4 future first round picks on the roster, maybe more... (and maybe 3 lottery picks)

But I really would like to avoid discussing minutes for next season until we know both who is going to be on the roster AND also healthy. Regarding the latter, I am cautiously optimistic about both Amile and Harry. But it's probably too early to assume both will be 100%.

Outside of the monster class we have coming in, the most exciting thing about next season to me will be seeing what a complete offseason does for our rising sophomores. All of them could take big steps next season.

MartyClark
03-31-2016, 02:13 PM
Looks like that may have be an option, but I think Duke has its point guard, if he is willing to work hard and take it. Derryck is easily the most natural option we have, and he is going to be a lockdown defender.

I endorse your post. I think Derryck did a good job this year. He has a huge upside with his quickness and defensive skills. I'm hoping for a huge sophomore season for Derryck, at Duke.

kAzE
03-31-2016, 02:19 PM
I'm a little surprised that Frank Jackson isn't even on DraftExpress's 2017 mock yet. He seems to have the talent to go 1 and done. I reckon it's based on his skill set not being ideal for a point guard, and his perceived lack of size for a shooting guard. But his athleticism allows him to play much bigger than 6'3". Would love for him to stick around longer than a year, but he seems like a lottery pick type talent.

BD80
03-31-2016, 02:41 PM
I did not know that Nate James did that. He really is badass.:o

Didn't Nate win the 3-pt shooting contest?

What jumps out at me is how much better this class is than last year's. Guys that are barely top-20 this year would very likely be top-10 last year, even top 5.

dukelifer
03-31-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm a little surprised that Frank Jackson isn't even on DraftExpress's 2017 mock yet. He seems to have the talent to go 1 and done. I reckon it's based on his skill set not being ideal for a point guard, and his perceived lack of size for a shooting guard. But his athleticism allows him to play much bigger than 6'3". Would love for him to stick around longer than a year, but he seems like a lottery pick type talent.

His stock just went up this weekend. If he has a great Freshman season and wins a National Championship - you never know.

KJDuke
03-31-2016, 04:18 PM
http://http://www.sikids.com/si-kids/2016/03/31/west-bests-east-2016-mcdonalds-all-american-game

Great showing for new Duke freshmen and a good article from Max too!

bedeviled
03-31-2016, 04:25 PM
Great showing for new Duke freshmen and a good article from Max too!Thanks for the link, KJDuke. You're right, Max deserves kudos for a job well done.

Troublemaker
03-31-2016, 04:32 PM
If Kansas lands JJackson (KU is the Crystal Ball favorite, fwiw) to replace Selden, they'll be right there with Duke and UK next season. KU could claim to have the best starting perimeter in college in Mason-Graham-JJackson.

The 3 biggest powerhouse recruiting programs right now could be preseason 1-2-3. (Not that it matters. Obviously, where you are at the end of the season matters.)

Hmm, I just noticed that Kansas has late momentum (per Crystal Ball) for Thon Maker as well (http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Thon-Maker-at-Athlete-Institute-Basketball-Academy-133305/CurrentExpertPredictions).

If KU gets JJackson AND Maker, they might be the best team.

If one wants Duke to be the only superteam next season or at the front of the line of superteams, one might root for JJackson and Maker to go elsewhere.

Alternate take: who cares? Injury luck, bracket luck, chemistry, and who's hot down the stretch of the season matter more. Did Duke end up having to worry about fellow superteam Kentucky in 2015? Nope.

fogey
03-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link, KJDuke. You're right, Max deserves kudos for a job well done.

If you want a laugh, check out the article 12 year old Max contributed to SI for Kids last week:
http://www.sikids.com/si-kids/2016/03/22/five-things-i-learned-covering-opening-rounds-ncaa-tournament

good stuff. (full disclosure: I'm his Grandpa, but SOMEBODY had to be his chaperone...:cool:)

gam7
03-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Hmm, I just noticed that Kansas has late momentum (per Crystal Ball) for Thon Maker as well (http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Thon-Maker-at-Athlete-Institute-Basketball-Academy-133305/CurrentExpertPredictions).

If KU gets JJackson AND Maker, they might be the best team.

Kansas may be setting itself up for a third consecutive year of NCAA suspicion regarding one of its recruits - Alexander ('14), Diallo ('15), potentially Maker ('16).