PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT Final Two, Villanova and... Them

Pages : [1] 2 3

pfrduke
03-27-2016, 10:53 PM
Ugh. Go left hand side of the bracket.

dairedevil
03-27-2016, 10:56 PM
Agreed...would really like to support the ACC, but I just can't cheer for either one of these teams.

juise
03-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Definitely not the outcomes I wanted today. I have to admit that, though, that I have a bit of a soft spot for Silent G. He should have won his title last year and definitely prefer Orange cheats to ugly blue cheats.

devildeac
03-27-2016, 10:59 PM
This is indeed a pretty nauseating scenario.

tteettimes
03-27-2016, 11:05 PM
Key word. ....NAUSEATING"

Troublemaker
03-27-2016, 11:06 PM
It could be worse. Given the relative weakness of the teams at the top this season, I thought prior to the tourney starting that if any 1-seed could survive to the Final Four, they would probably be alone. Which ended up happening, but I am grateful that there are two 2-seeds still remaining as well. This was the kind of year where UNC could've showed up to the Final Four and seen only a 10-seed, a 7-seed, and a 5-seed remaining. At least we have Nova (#1 kenpom team), Oklahoma, and a Syracuse team that's played them relatively tough this season despite being 0-2 still alive.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Well, given K's close friendshop with Jim B, I wouldn't mind an improbable championship for the ACC. Outside of that, Buddy Hield sure is fun to watch.

FerryFor50
03-27-2016, 11:08 PM
It could be worse. Given the relative weakness of the teams at the top this season, I thought prior to the tourney starting that if any 1-seed could survive to the Final Four, they would probably be alone. Which ended up happening, but I am grateful that there are two 2-seeds still remaining as well. This was the kind of year where UNC could've showed up to the Final Four and seen only a 10-seed, a 7-seed, and a 5-seed remaining. At least we have Nova (#1 kenpom team), Oklahoma, and a Syracuse team that's played them relatively tough this season despite being 0-2 still alive.

Yea but of the two 2 seeds left, UNC only has to play one of them.

duke4ever19
03-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Jimmy B might hang 'em up on a high note if he miraculously wins this thing.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Go Oklahoma I guess. Will be cringe worthy to see Brice Johnson's tough guy screaming as the Heels win it all.

And dang...we tie UNC in natty count and only have one season to say that. Something similar happened in '05.

jipops
03-27-2016, 11:14 PM
It's a truly sad state of affairs for college sports. The cheats getting there was predictable since the beginning of the season. But now Cuse? Two brazenly corrupt programs at the pinnacle of success. I will not be tuning in. I'm getting the impression that K & Brooks mole hill story will continue to grab the airwaves despite two Final Four programs having corruption as their foundation. At least discuss how Wright, Kruger, or Roy might finally win his first title (sadly it will be that mountain guy).

Troublemaker
03-27-2016, 11:19 PM
Yea but of the two 2 seeds left, UNC only has to play one of them.

True, it would've been better for us if they were split up. Just saying 1, 2, 2, 10 is actually chalkier than what I would've predicted pre-tourney.

At least a 2-seed is guaranteed to be there in the championship game. And, of course, crazier things than Syracuse beating them have occurred before. (Odds-wise, I mean. Obviously a 10-seed in the championship game has never occurred.)

eddiehaskell
03-27-2016, 11:28 PM
At least discuss how Wright, Kruger, or Roy might finally win his first title (sadly it will be that mountain guy).Ehh, the UNC you see now was built on the backs of teams involved in cheating over the last 25 years. If I'm not mistaken their seniors (and probably juniors) were recruited well before the cheating thing blew up.

Look at their 2015 and 2016 classes to see how the scandal has likely impacted recruiting.

gurufrisbee
03-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Oklahoma.

Then much further down Villanova.

Then MUCH further down Syracuse.

Then vomit.

jipops
Ehh, the UNC you see now was built on the backs of teams involved in cheating over the last 25 years. If I'm not mistaken their seniors (and probably juniors) were recruited well before the cheating thing blew up.

Look at their 2015 and 2016 classes to see how the scandal has likely impacted recruiting.

Unlike '05 and '09, it's reasonable to assume these guys are eligible. But their fans, program, and coach don't deserve them.

hurleyfor3
I prefer to direct my cheat hate at a single team. Go Cuse.

Furniture
03-27-2016, 11:38 PM
I will be rooting for the Orange. I really like the talent on their team.
In regards UNC they look really strong. They probably have the team that many Duke fans would like. No one and dones, Strong three and four year guys and their best players are going to get their degrees (Brice and Paige). They are deep too with a lot of big guys!!
Say what you will but Roy has put together a really formidable team. They are going to be really tough to beat!!

eddiehaskell
03-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Unlike '05 and '09, it's reasonable to assume these guys are eligible. But their fans, program, and coach don't deserve them.True true, but if history doesn't include cheating who knows how UNC's current team looks. Maybe UNC would be one of the many teams that haven't won a title 30-40+ years. Probably a little harder to get top recruits when you always at the pinnacle of hoops (partially because of cheating?).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2016, 11:54 PM
True true, but if history doesn't include cheating who knows how UNC's current team looks. Maybe UNC would be one of the many teams that haven't won a title 30-40+ years. Probably a little harder to get top recruits when you always at the pinnacle of hoops (partially because of cheating?).

Or... maybe if UNC wasn't winning big off cheating, then Duke doesn't get pushed for greatness in the ACC and ascend to win five titles.

Begun, the offseason has.

juise
03-28-2016, 12:03 AM
Also an important detail: what direction of cheat is Louisville or are we calling that something else?

eddiehaskell
03-28-2016, 12:08 AM
Or... maybe if UNC wasn't winning big off cheating, then Duke doesn't get pushed for greatness in the ACC and ascend to win five titles.

Begun, the offseason has.But the Duke program was already on course for historical greatness well before the cheating started. 86-94 is probably the best run of the modern era. I've heard some throw around that maybe Duke's success is what started the cheating. Heck, I might want Duke to cheat if UNC went on a run like '86-'94. :eek:

Furniture
03-28-2016, 12:10 AM
Do the threads get a cool down if UNC wins it all?
Just saying......

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2016, 12:10 AM
But the Duke program was already on course for historical greatness well before the cheating started. 86-94 is probably the best run of the modern era. I've heard some throw around that maybe Duke's success is what started the cheating. Heck, I might want Duke to cheat if UNC went on a run like '86-'94. :eek:

I thought I was being ridiculous.

The bar for ridiculous is pretty low around here these days.

eddiehaskell
03-28-2016, 12:15 AM
I thought I was being ridiculous.

The bar for ridiculous is pretty low around here these days.Excuse me. I get a little defensive when I'm staring down the barrel of a sure fire UNC title.

pfrduke
03-28-2016, 12:16 AM
Also an important detail: what direction of cheat is Louisville or are we calling that something else?

They'll be referred to as Cheaters Yum! (the exclamation point is an important detail)

eddiehaskell
03-28-2016, 04:46 AM
Did Amile Jefferson set up UNC for a national championship?

dukelifer
03-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Did Amile Jefferson set up UNC for a national championship?

A lot of things broke for UNC to walk into the final four. I do expect that they will win it all but they will have the pressure of being the overwhelming favorite and who knows how they will react. But this team was built over time. UNC was poised to win a bunch of championships not too long ago but late season injuries derailed them. It is all part of the ying and yang of the Duke UNC rivalry. You think you are out and they pull you back in.

HarveytheBlueDevil
03-28-2016, 07:24 AM
This is for all of your UNC friends who have talked trash about Duke's "easy paths" to championships in 2010 and 2015. I looked up the Kenpom.com rankings for tournament opponents. I didn't bother to look up first round opponents because 16 seeds can vary so wildly.

2010 Duke Tourney:
2nd round-Cal-ranked 20 in kenpom
S16-Purdue-14
E8-Baylor-6 (game in Texas)
F4-WVU-8
Championship-Butler-9 (game in Indianapolis)

2015 Duke Tourney:
2nd round-SDSU-27
S16-Utah-8
E8-Gonzaga-7
F4-Mich St-15
Championship-Wisc-3

2016 UNC Tourney
2nd round-Prov-46
S16-IU-15
E8-ND-34
F4-Syr-22 (this ranking will likely go up after beating UVA)
Potential Championship-Villanova-1 OR Okla-5

I give UNC credit for taking care of business against the teams in front of them. But these stats destroy the Tar Heel narrative that claims Duke wins championships only when given favorable draws. Notice in 2010 and 2015 that Duke had to beat three top 10 teams to win the title. This year UNC would only have to beat one top 10 team to win it all.

Saratoga2
03-28-2016, 07:28 AM
I will be rooting for the Orange. I really like the talent on their team.
In regards UNC they look really strong. They probably have the team that many Duke fans would like. No one and dones, Strong three and four year guys and their best players are going to get their degrees (Brice and Paige). They are deep too with a lot of big guys!!
Say what you will but Roy has put together a really formidable team. They are going to be really tough to beat!!

Syracuse came close to not making it into the tournament yet beat a fine Virginia team by pressing them, applying a very aggressive zone defense and driving to the basket drawing a lot of fouls and forcing Tony Bennett to alter his lineup somewhat during the big push from 16 down. Virginia with a classy coach and a clean program just weren't able to handle the Syracuse moves and collapsed from 16 up. If Duke had done that you would never her the end of it. Despite what Syracuse has done in the program, this team showed that they belong at the final 4 level and that their coaching is working.

The NC team is probably the most dominant and best balanced team in the finals. Probably this group of kids is not at fault for the cheating that went on at the University, but if the NCAA committees had done their work, they would have been excluded based on the rampant cheating that went on rather than in a position to become national champions.

Both Oklahoma and Villanova are very capable teams and are well coached. Either one of them will be a worthy opponent in the championship game.

fuse
03-28-2016, 08:18 AM
If there ever were an ABC bracket....

luburch
03-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Lessssgo Nova.

MCFinARL
03-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Syracuse came close to not making it into the tournament yet beat a fine Virginia team by pressing them, applying a very aggressive zone defense and driving to the basket drawing a lot of fouls and forcing Tony Bennett to alter his lineup somewhat during the big push from 16 down. Virginia with a classy coach and a clean program just weren't able to handle the Syracuse moves and collapsed from 16 up. If Duke had done that you would never her the end of it.

According to a columnist in the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/virginia-couldnt-handle-syracuses-pressure-now-the-cavaliers-will-never-forget-it/2016/03/27/b3d82b62-f455-11e5-9804-537defcc3cf6_story.html)this morning, Virginia will never hear the end of it either. Of course since, despite their talent and accomplishments, their following is more regional than national, it might not be quite the same thing.

Furniture
03-28-2016, 08:43 AM
This is for all of your UNC friends who have talked trash about Duke's "easy paths" to championships in 2010 and 2015. I looked up the Kenpom.com rankings for tournament opponents. I didn't bother to look up first round opponents because 16 seeds can vary so wildly.

2010 Duke Tourney:
S16-Purdue-14
F4-WVU-8

2015 Duke Tourney:
2nd round-SDSU-27
S16-Utah-8
E8-Gonzaga-7
F4-Mich St-15
Championship-Wisc-3

2016 UNC Tourney
2nd round-Prov-46
S16-IU-15
E8-ND-34

I give UNC credit for taking care of business against the teams in front of them. But these stats destroy the Tar Heel narrative that claims Duke wins championships only when given favorable draws. Notice in 2010 and 2015 that Duke had to beat three top 10 teams to win the title. This year UNC would only have to beat one top 10 team to win it all.

But why even go there? I will not sink myself down to this level with the UNC fans I deal with here in Greensboro NC. I will just say well done you guys have the best team (if they win).

royalblue
03-28-2016, 09:15 AM

2010 Duke Tourney:
S16-Purdue-14
F4-WVU-8

2015 Duke Tourney:
2nd round-SDSU-27
S16-Utah-8
E8-Gonzaga-7
F4-Mich St-15
Championship-Wisc-3

2016 UNC Tourney
2nd round-Prov-46
S16-IU-15
E8-ND-34

How about the seed line for the heels.
Has any team ever made the final game not facing a top 4 seed along the way to Monday night?
The Cuse goes what 4-5 with JB suspended. They should not have been in the tourney but the selection committee from what I understand discounts the 9 games because the team was without their head coach. So really they got an advantage from the coach being suspended to start the season. How is that fair? How is that good for the sport?Now because of my raging hate for uncch I must pull for The Cuse.
The Tainted 2 will be at the Final Four

Danke Shane
03-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Here's one article (yahoo) that at least calls out UNC and Syracuse for having taken advantage of the system and how bad it looks for the NCAA. Hopefully this gets more run over the next week...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/on-probation-vs--under-investigation--final-four-marred-by-schools-with-scandals-045055152-ncaab.html

Neals384
03-28-2016, 09:40 AM
This thread is making my head hurt. Take a deep breath. Close your eyes. Think back to the 2008 FF. See the scoreboard: Kansas 40, UNC 12. Feel better now.

kAzE
03-28-2016, 10:03 AM
Go Syracuse. The only reason we've adopted the zone is through the influence of Boeheim with Team USA. Like it or not, he's contributed to Duke Basketball. Mike G was a Dukie at one point as well. And given they are up against UNC, it's a no-brainer for me.

Trey21
03-28-2016, 12:20 PM
From Bill Simmon's twitter.

"If UNC and Syracuse play next Saturday they should have UNC's teachers tutor Fab Melo for the halftime show."

Gotta go for Cuse here. I've had a soft spot for Silent G since his senior year of HS. His game was just so smooth and fundamentally sound. He just needed to tighten everything and adjust to the pace of the game of both sides of the ball, which it seems like he has done. He is one of their best players and he'll hopefully get a shot in the league a la Kyle Anderson.

Predicting a final of UNC vs Buddy

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Here's one article (yahoo) that at least calls out UNC and Syracuse for having taken advantage of the system and how bad it looks for the NCAA. Hopefully this gets more run over the next week...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/on-probation-vs--under-investigation--final-four-marred-by-schools-with-scandals-045055152-ncaab.html

Here is another

North Carolina vs. Syracuse in the Final Four is a headache for the NCAA

Given the state of college sports, North Carolina-Syracuse is quite possibly the most fitting Final Four game ever. The NCAA will dread a whole week on the topic.

Roy presumably will continue to roll with his response last night when asked about the unpleasantness later this week

We know men's basketball had nothing to do with it and we're very proud about that.

Link to full article

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25533198/north-carolina-vs-syracuse-in-the-final-four-is-a-headache-for-the-ncaa

TKG
03-28-2016, 12:42 PM
My sincere hope is that Pat Forde's story line dominates the headlines for the next week. If only other media outlets would pick up the drum beat. Emmert deserves to have the NCAA's signature event ruined.

JNort
03-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Still don't understand the hate for Cuse, they are easily one of my favorite ACC teams along with State and The Ville. Let's go Orange!!!

These thread titles are so childish it's like looking in on IC.

duke79
03-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Go Syracuse. The only reason we've adopted the zone is through the influence of Boeheim with Team USA. Like it or not, he's contributed to Duke Basketball. Mike G was a Dukie at one point as well. And given they are up against UNC, it's a no-brainer for me.

Agree with you here. I don't like either team......but I'll be rooting for Syracuse. But that will be a HUGE upset if they pull off a win. I'm not counting on it.

Tjenkins
03-28-2016, 05:18 PM
When the tournament begins every year, I have 3 favorite teams (besides the underdog that pulls off an unset or two), in this order:

1.Duke
2.Whoever plays UNC
3.Whoever plays Syracuse.

For the first time since 1980, I'm not planning to watch the Final Four because one of the two teams I hate the most has a chance to win the title. And I can't get too excited about Oklahoma or Villanova either.

I hope Syracuse wins Saturday and then gets destroyed on Monday night. But I can't see myself actively rooting for Boeheim.

Lennies
03-28-2016, 06:00 PM
I have to root for Villanova. Hard working, blue collar team that plays defense like a pack of pit bulls! What's not to like?

moonpie23
03-28-2016, 08:19 PM
ABC...........

repeat: ABC

wavedukefan70s
03-28-2016, 08:56 PM
A sensible article.

MarkD83
03-28-2016, 09:23 PM
A sensible article.

I guess I have to admit to being a hypocrite. When the ACC was doing so well in the early rounds I was cheering for as many ACC teams in the Final 4 as possible. Now with Syracuse and UNC in the final 4 and Louisville self-imposing penalties, the ACC is starting to look like the All Cheater's Conference and the success of the ACC in this year's tournament looks a bit tarnished.

weezie
03-28-2016, 09:28 PM
ABC.......

repeat: ABC

That is all.

devildeac
03-28-2016, 09:38 PM
I guess I have to admit to being a hypocrite. When the ACC was doing so well in the early rounds I was cheering for as many ACC teams in the Final 4 as possible. Now with Syracuse and UNC in the final 4 and Louisville self-imposing penalties, the ACC is starting to look like the All Cheater's Conference and the success of the ACC in this year's tournament looks a bit tarnished.

Blame UVa and ND :o .

Lennies
03-29-2016, 02:59 PM
roy williams and the unc tarheels can go to hell cheating fraud ncaa violations investigation (http://www.offtackleempire.com/2016/3/28/11317956/roy-williams-and-the-unc-tarheels-can-go-to-hell-cheating-fraud-ncaa-violations-investigation)

duke79
03-29-2016, 03:10 PM
roy williams and the unc tarheels can go to hell cheating fraud ncaa violations investigation (http://www.offtackleempire.com/2016/3/28/11317956/roy-williams-and-the-unc-tarheels-can-go-to-hell-cheating-fraud-ncaa-violations-investigation)

LOL, he certainly doesn't hold back.......!!

jdj4duke
03-29-2016, 03:49 PM
NYT just put up an article titled "A Final Four Cheat Sheet" which gets my nod for unintended irony of the sports year.

Kedsy
03-30-2016, 01:07 PM
How about the seed line for the heels. Has any team ever made the final game not facing a top 4 seed along the way to Monday night?

Yes, UNC in 2005. That team's path to the final game was 16-9-5-6-5. This year's UNC team is the 2nd team ever to do it.

Honorable mentions go to 1990 UNLV (16-8-12-11-4), 2014 Florida (16-9-4-11-7), and 1999 UConn (16-9-5-10-4).

A lot of things broke for UNC to walk into the final four.

If you define "ease" of path as the sum of the opponents' seeds, this year's UNC team is tied for the 7th easiest path ever for the first five games of the tournament (well, since the tournament went to 64 teams in 1985, anyway), one "point" behind the 4th easiest path.

Easiest first five NCAAT games:

1. 1990 UNLV: 51 (16-8-12-11-4) (won championship)
2. 2001 Mich State: 50 (16-9-12-11-2) (lost in national semifinal)
2. 1991 UNC: 50 (16-9-12-10-3) (lost in national semifinal)
4. 2014 Florida: 47 (16-9-4-11-7) (lost in national semifinal)
4. 2013 Louisville: 47 (16-8-12-2-9) (won championship)
4. 2008 Kansas: 47 (16-8-12-10-1) (won championship)
7. 2016 UNC: 46 (16-9-5-6-10) (???)
7. 1990 Arkansas: 46 (13-12-8-10-3) (lost in national semifinal)
9. 1993 Michigan: 45 (16-9-12-7-1) (called unfortunate timeout)
10. six teams tied with 44 (1986 Duke, 1986 Louisville, 1999 Duke, 1999 UConn, 2005 Illinois, 2006 Florida)

Of the seven teams with easier or the same path as UNC, three won championships and four lost their semifinal game.

Also, another UNC team is on this list, along with the 2005 UNC team noted in the first part of this post and this year's team. If your UNC friends tease you about Duke's easy paths, they are obviously deluded (although I suppose they were already obviously deluded since they root for UNC).

bedeviled
03-30-2016, 01:41 PM
If you define "ease" of path as the sum of the opponents' seeds
USA Today has a pretty infographic (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/2016-ncaa-tournament-north-carolina-tar-heels-easy-bracket-history-highest-seeds) entitled "Toughest Road to a National Title based on Opponents' Seeds." 2010 Duke came in tied for 11th out of 30.

killerleft
03-31-2016, 11:16 AM
I, for one, sure wish it was us instead of Syracuse playing the cheaters on Saturday. In the thread (which I can't continue, because it was closed), some of our posters didn't want a Duke-unc game in the national semi-finals. Feeling different now, when only Syracuse stands between the heels and a title game? I'd put Coach K up against ol' Roy in a heartbeat!

SCball
03-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Why is everyone on this forum so hung up with UNC and what they did 10+ years ago? Krzyzewski graduated players 10 years ago but that doesn't mean he does today.

Kedsy
03-31-2016, 11:46 AM
I, for one, sure wish it was us instead of Syracuse playing the cheaters on Saturday. In the thread (which I can't continue, because it was closed), some of our posters didn't want a Duke-unc game in the national semi-finals. Feeling different now, when only Syracuse stands between the heels and a title game? I'd put Coach K up against ol' Roy in a heartbeat!

We couldn't have played them until the finals, anyway.

killerleft
03-31-2016, 11:53 AM
We couldn't have played them until the finals, anyway.

Oops! I'd take that, too, for sure!

-jk
03-31-2016, 12:19 PM
Why is everyone on this forum so hung up with UNC and what they did 10+ years ago? Krzyzewski graduated players 10 years ago but that doesn't mean he does today.

Because this forum is hung up on pretty much everything about unc. Rivalries do that...

-jk

dukelifer
03-31-2016, 12:53 PM
LOL, he certainly doesn't hold back....!!

Wow - by the tone you think he was talking about Grayson Allen's tripping or Coach K's lecturing of another player.

SCball
03-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Because this forum is hung up on pretty much everything about unc. Rivalries do that...

-jk

I guess so. Seeing as how they haven't yet had anything vacated, they aren't really a vacated team.

moonpie23
03-31-2016, 01:09 PM

welcome, newbie....not an auspicious start.

check the meaning of ARCH RIVAL (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/archrival)

you're not from around here, are you?

Rich
03-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Not sure why this isn't a bigger story nationally, but at least the NY Times caught on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/31/sports/ncaabasketball/in-an-unfortunate-final-four-matchup-no-lessons-learned.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Secretly, perhaps even subconsciously, N.C.A.A. officials must have been rooting against a North Carolina-Syracuse matchup in the men’s Final Four. Any two teams but those. Any.

The organization must be cringing because while a Tar Heels-Orange national semifinal features two classic programs in a classic matchup, it also guarantees that an unwanted guest — academic fraud — will be front and center on its biggest stage.

Duke95
03-31-2016, 01:42 PM
That's not just anybody at the NYT writing. That's Juliet Macur, whose work on the Lance Armstrong case has been exemplary.

jv001
03-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Not sure why this isn't a bigger story nationally, but at least the NY Times caught on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/31/sports/ncaabasketball/in-an-unfortunate-final-four-matchup-no-lessons-learned.html?ref=sports&_r=0

Secretly, perhaps even subconsciously, N.C.A.A. officials must have been rooting against a North Carolina-Syracuse matchup in the men’s Final Four. Any two teams but those. Any.

The organization must be cringing because while a Tar Heels-Orange national semifinal features two classic programs in a classic matchup, it also guarantees that an unwanted guest — academic fraud — will be front and center on its biggest stage.

Thanks Rich for the link. I hope fans of college basketball are beginning to wonder why the biggest sports network in the world(ESPN) is not talking about the academic fraud that took place at UNcheat. Now that publications like the NYT and Washington Post have the news out there, I wonder if ESPN will be forced to take a different stance on this long, long practice of fraud in Chapel Hell, NC. Probably not. GoDuke!

freshmanjs
03-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks Rich for the link. I hope fans of college basketball are beginning to wonder why the biggest sports network in the world(ESPN) is not talking about the academic fraud that took place at UNcheat. Now that publications like the NYT and Washington Post have the news out there, I wonder if ESPN will be forced to take a different stance on this long, long practice of fraud in Chapel Hell, NC. Probably not. GoDuke!

Maybe ESPN will even have a front page story like this

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15100276/syracuse-jim-boeheim-north-carolina-roy-williams-cannot-escape-cloud-hovers-them

SCball
03-31-2016, 02:07 PM
welcome, newbie...not an auspicious start.

check the meaning of ARCH RIVAL (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/archrival)

you're not from around here, are you?

Thank you for including the definition. I wasn't at all aware how rivalries worked. I follow almost all Division 1 programs in the state of North Carolina. There isn't nearly as much Duke bashing on North Carolina forums as there is NC bashing on here. I just think it comes off as bitter.

luburch
03-31-2016, 02:09 PM
Thank you for including the definition. I wasn't at all aware how rivalries worked. I follow almost all Division 1 programs in the state of North Carolina. There isn't nearly as much Duke bashing on North Carolina forums as there is NC bashing on here. I just think it comes off as bitter.

I know the motto is don't feed the troll, which is what you clearly are, but take a peek over here and then come back and tell me that Duke fans are bitter. http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/forums/1410-unc-basketball

Why is the UNC scandal still relevant? Mainly because the investigation is ongoing and is going to be ruled on in the near future.

SCball
03-31-2016, 02:11 PM
I know the motto is don't feed the troll, which is what you clearly are, but take a peek over here and then come back and tell me that Duke fans are bitter. http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/forums/1410-unc-basketball

Why is the UNC scandal still relevant? Mainly because the investigation is ongoing and is going to be ruled on in the near future.

Does me not saying exactly what you want to hear make me a troll? I would classify fans harping on something that took place 10 years ago while said team is making a national championship run as trolls.

tbyers11
03-31-2016, 02:17 PM
Does me not saying exactly what you want to hear make me a troll? I would classify fans harping on something that took place 10 years ago while said team is making a national championship run as trolls.

Disagree. UNC's whole tactic in this academic scandal mess has been to delay and obfuscate long enough so that any ruling on post-season eligibility would come after the conclusion of this basketball season. The likely punishment for their transgressions will include at least one year of postseason ineligibility. If this punishment had been administered by the NCAA in a timely fashion, they would likely have been ineligible for this postseason. That is why it is relevant.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-31-2016, 02:21 PM

Clearly you have never visited the IC message boards, where the Duke Bashing reaches epic levels.

SCball
03-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Clearly you have never visited the IC message boards, where the Duke Bashing reaches epic levels.

A poster above listed a link for a Carolina forum, though, I looked and didn't see any Duke bashing. I'm not a fan of either team and just stating my observations. Ad a Duke fan though, why would you visit a UNC forum?

-jk
03-31-2016, 02:23 PM
I would classify fans harping on something that took place 10 years ago while said team is making a national championship run as trolls.

Don't worry - we've been harping on it for years...

-jk

SCball
03-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Disagree. UNC's whole tactic in this academic scandal mess has been to delay and obfuscate long enough so that any ruling on post-season eligibility would come after the conclusion of this basketball season. The likely punishment for their transgressions will include at least one year of postseason ineligibility. If this punishment had been administered by the NCAA in a timely fashion, they would likely have been ineligible for this postseason. That is why it is relevant.

This could be true, though, people seem to become more and more vocal about it as they get deeper and deeper into the tournament. To be honest though, I don't think the sanctions (if there ever are any) will be as severe as most would hope.

wsb3
03-31-2016, 02:25 PM
I posted something about the scandal on another site (not UNC) & received a private email.

They included the part of my post that read..

Either way Huck is a liar. So was Dean...along with the following intellectual statement..

That me & my daddy are non-heterosexual.

Well they didn't put it that nicely.;)

I did not correct their spelling or put out that my dad has been gone for fifteen years..

Brings to mind one of my favorite sayings..You can't hide class.

Especially when dealing with a UNC-Wal-Mart fan..These people are delusional.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-31-2016, 02:34 PM
A poster above listed a link for a Carolina forum, though, I looked and didn't see any Duke bashing. I'm not a fan of either team and just stating my observations. Ad a Duke fan though, why would you visit a UNC forum?

I could highlight the topics for you with a crayon if you'd like...They are typically vile and profanity laced. I think the critics of their program over here are typically pretty respectful when it comes to the individuals, and we concentrate more on the program as a whole. While over there you will see individual attacks on coaches, players and fans that border on psycho behavior. Whilst over here you will find most of the critiques are focused on the cheating scandal. I mainly visit out of boredom and to see their take on match ups and other ACC related issues. I'm a junkie so an occasional visit is part of my college hoops process.

tbyers11
03-31-2016, 02:36 PM
This could be true, though, people seem to become more and more vocal about it as they get deeper and deeper into the tournament. To be honest though, I don't think the sanctions (if there ever are any) will be as severe as most would hope.

Maybe in the mainstream media it has only been discussed recently. But, as -jk noted, here and at PackPride it has been discussed at length for years. ;)

SCball
03-31-2016, 02:37 PM
I could highlight the topics for you with a crayon if you'd like...They are typically vile and profanity laced. I think the critics of their program over here are typically pretty respectful when it comes to the individuals, and we concentrate more on the program as a whole. While over there you will see individual attacks on coaches, players and fans that border on psycho behavior. Whilst over here you will find most of the critiques are focused on the cheating scandal. I mainly visit out of boredom and to see their take on match ups and other ACC related issues. I'm a junkie so an occasional visit is part of my college hoops process.

Fair enough.

Kedsy
03-31-2016, 02:43 PM
Krzyzewski graduated players 10 years ago but that doesn't mean he does today.

Does me not saying exactly what you want to hear make me a troll?

Perhaps not. But suggesting (with no evidence whatsoever) that Coach K isn't graduating his players today might do the trick.

jv001
03-31-2016, 03:02 PM

If you were a Duke fan living in North Carolina you would know how bad the cheat fans are. You can't go anywhere wearing Duke sweatshirts or Duke hats or anything Duke, without hearing how Duke sucks. Their fans hate Coach K & everything Duke. Complete strangers come up and say things that are incredibly stupid. I've lived it a long time and I know how bad they are. I don't have to go to IC to know that. GoDuke!

freshmanjs
03-31-2016, 03:06 PM
If you were a Duke fan living in North Carolina you would know how bad the cheat fans are. You can't go anywhere wearing Duke sweatshirts or Duke hats or anything Duke, without hearing how Duke sucks. Their fans hate Coach K & everything Duke. Complete strangers come up and say things that are incredibly stupid. I've lived it a long time and I know how bad they are. I don't have to go to IC to know that. GoDuke!

I wear Duke gear around Chapel Hill all the time and never get any comments other than occasional friendly ribbing.

Brockt10
03-31-2016, 03:11 PM

I tend to believe you are correct in your troll assumption. They also posted this:

Academic Integrity
Good morning, all. New to the board but already love the discussion. Though I can't say I'm much of a Duke fan, what I have the utmost respect for, is the program and fan base's emphasis on academics and abiding by all rules that other teams seem not to. Again, not a Duke fan, but I will relish the day where we will all get to see this fine young man walking across stage in his cap and gown. This young lad embodies what it means to be a Duke Blue Devil and a molded man of Mike Krzyzewski. Let's GO DUKE!684227_1280x720.jpgBrandon-Ingram.jpg

I hope you weren't criticizing the looks or intelligence of an 18 year old whom you have most likely never met.

jv001
03-31-2016, 03:18 PM
I wear Duke gear around Chapel Hill all the time and never get any comments other than occasional friendly ribbing.

Maybe those folks are graduates or ex-players from the university. I don't have any problems with alum of unc. They are for the most part very respectful. It's the fans that didn't attend unc that I get the most crap from. GoDuke!

luburch
03-31-2016, 03:18 PM
I tend to believe you are correct in your troll assumption. They also posted this:

Academic Integrity
Good morning, all. New to the board but already love the discussion. Though I can't say I'm much of a Duke fan, what I have the utmost respect for, is the program and fan base's emphasis on academics and abiding by all rules that other teams seem not to. Again, not a Duke fan, but I will relish the day where we will all get to see this fine young man walking across stage in his cap and gown. This young lad embodies what it means to be a Duke Blue Devil and a molded man of Mike Krzyzewski. Let's GO DUKE!684227_1280x720.jpgBrandon-Ingram.jpg

I hope you weren't criticizing the looks or intelligence of an 18 year old whom you have most likely never met.

Which of course would beg the question that SCball posted not long ago along the lines of "If you're not a fan of a school why would you visit their message boards?"

Monmouth77
03-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Perhaps not. But suggesting (with no evidence whatsoever) that Coach K isn't graduating his players today might do the trick.

And at the risk of piling on here, SC's post (# 180) in the UNC Athletics Scandal thread is a classic of trolling, and pretty ugly in its obvious intended implications. I don't know whether Brandon Ingram will ever earn a Duke degree, but unless SC has a reason to suggest otherwise beyond whatever he is implying through the attached photographs, I think he may need to be shown the door here.

To the University's immense credit, there are plenty of students at Duke who don't play basketball who look and dress like Brandon Ingram.

Newton_14
03-31-2016, 03:34 PM
omg really? There is no way you have ever read IC if you feel that is true. No way. They bash Duke (and never ever use the correct spelling) in their sleep. That's all they do is bash Duke. We have one thread on unc and one thread on the FF, that's it... Without even looking I would bet there are no less than 10 Duke based threads on IC...

And unc deserves to be bashed no? They have yet to pay the penalty for 20+ years of orchestrated, systemic, planned and coordinated cheating across multiple majors, including one major that was totally fake and did not exist. Turn in a one page paper to a secretary who will give you the A or B you need. All of the kids on both the 2005 and 2009 teams took the fake major and fake classes in other majors.

By all rights they should get the Death Penalty in Mens BB, FB, Womens BB, Womens Soccer, and maybe others.

The only thing that should be discussed on this Final Four Weekend on TV, Radio, and other media is how bad unc cheated, yet here they are, allowed to waltz into the FF off the back of the 7th easiest bracket ever, and play for another title they won't deserve, because they should have been banned from the tournament to start with.

Should they win it will be the biggest mockery to the Sport ever and a National Embarassment.

cato
03-31-2016, 03:51 PM
Guys! Guys.

Don't feed the trolls.

Never feed the trolls.

Newton_14
03-31-2016, 04:02 PM

Where are you getting the 10+ years from? Did I fall asleep and wake up in 2021? The Wainstein Report clearly showed the cheating scandal occurred at least during the years from 1993 to 2011, and there is strong evidence it started in the 1989-90 timeframe. But 1993 is where it clearly shows up.

Meanwhile, Mason Plumlee was an Academic All-American, as is Grayson Allen. Andre Dawkins completed 5 years, as did Marshall Plumlee, Rasheed graduated last year, as did Quinn Cook. Each year, we have seniors who graduate because every kid that stays four years graduates. That's just what they do here. Only the One and Done kids do not and even they leave in good academic standing and some come back in the summers and take classes to gain more credits. Gerald Henderson recently finished up and got his degree.

There is no evidence I am aware of that K is not graduating his kids that stay 3 and 4 years. Nolan, Singler, Scheyer, Miles, Seth, Mason, Marshall, Ryan Kelly, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston... I could go on and on and on here but I think you get the point.

dukelifer
03-31-2016, 04:03 PM

That is funny.

devildeac
03-31-2016, 04:23 PM

May I suggest:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518P86gQ%2BmL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

moonpie23
03-31-2016, 04:38 PM

troll much?

you have GOT to be kidding (http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/forums/1410-basketball?s=78)

weezie
03-31-2016, 08:47 PM

Ooooo, "said" team. We's dealing with an edumacated person. Wait, what? This is very entertaining. "Does me not saying" though, I'm going to have to red pencil that torture.

Furniture
04-01-2016, 06:29 AM

Not sure where you really live but I think your statement is complete and utter (Im a wanker for saying this).I wear Duke gear all the time and nobody has ever said a word to me.

jv001
04-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Not sure where you really live but I think your statement is complete and utter (Im a wanker for saying this).I wear Duke gear all the time and nobody has ever said a word to me.

You must not get out much :cool: I live in Winston Salem, NC, United States of America. I attend a great church with about 2,000 members. I would say that out of 2,000 there are 1,000 that care about ACC basketball. Of that 1,000 there are about 500 cheat fans, there are about 300 Wake Forest fans, about 100 Duke fans and the other 100 are scattered about the other ACC teams. Then you throw in the other cheat fans that I see at the Golf driving range and other places. I have to admit the cheat fans have not been as bad the last couple of years but that's because they have not beaten Duke many times. But let them win the NCAAT and they will fly out of the closet. I know how it's been all my life living around the cheat fans, so, it's not complete and utter what ever. Thanks for you fine reply to my post. Have a good day and God bless you and your family. GoDuke!

Indoor66
04-01-2016, 08:12 AM
You must not get out much :cool: I live in Winston Salem, NC, United States of America. I attend a great church with about 2,000 members. I would say that out of 2,000 there are 1,000 that care about ACC basketball. Of that 1,000 there are about 500 cheat fans, there are about 300 Wake Forest fans, about 100 Duke fans and the other 100 are scattered about the other ACC teams. Then you throw in the other cheat fans that I see at the Golf driving range and other places. I have to admit the cheat fans have not been as bad the last couple of years but that's because they have not beaten Duke many times. But let them win the NCAAT and they will fly out of the closet. I know how it's been all my life living around the cheat fans, so, it's not complete and utter what ever. Thanks for you fine reply to my post. Have a good day and God bless you and your family. GoDuke!

Sensitivity meters vary from person to person. When I lived in NC I found most people were good natured in their fandom - with some jerks mixed in - both ways. In life, I have found that I tend to get what I give.

devildeac
04-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Sensitivity meters vary from person to person. When I lived in NC I found most people were good natured in their fandom - with some jerks mixed in - both ways. In life, I have found that I tend to get what I give.

Life?

Getting and giving?

You never know...

moonpie23
04-01-2016, 08:53 AM
I've noticed that "folks" around the triangle (and NC in general) usually approach the situation with southern manners......FIRST......then, depending on the response, it can either stay benign, or it can go nuclear in a matter of moments.

I wear my duke gear all the time...if it's not my hoodie, it's a t-shirt... all my clients, friends and family know it's part of my uniform. Usually, when the cheater fans see it, it will depend on the situation as to whether or not they say something. I've had service people tell me they weren't going to serve me, airline pilots tell me they weren't going allow me on the plane, medical professionals say they couldn't treat me, scuba diving excursion captains in maui tell me that we cheat to get all the good players, and other denizens of waiting rooms and restaurants make comments, ALL JOKINGLY.......(somewhat)

I've also found that MY reaction has a lot to do with what follows....I'm usually humble and humorous, until i get attacked. Then, it's on...

most of the initial comments are an exaggerated "DUKE!???? - get that stuff outta here", or something to that effect.......I just smile and say, "you mean FIVE TIMES CHAMPION DUKE?" and let it go from there. I'm a very friendly guy, but when it starts to turn, i can be a nightmare....

Indoor66
04-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Life?

Getting and giving?

You never know...

Thank you, Forest.:cool:

Newton_14
04-01-2016, 12:59 PM

I agree. It's great that Furniture and others can wear their Duke gear in NC and never have anything negative said to them, but my experience living life in an around the Triangle Area is not the same. I gave one recent example of walking into a BP Convenient store right here in my home town, and wearing my Grayson jersey because it was ACC Day at work, and having a unc fan that I had never seen before in my life, holler at me from across the store as I was walking out, "Hey why are they saying on the news that Duke is tired? ha ha, snicker snicker".... I could sit here and type examples all day long. Work, Church, out and about in everyday life, be it malls, grocery stores, etc.... wearing Duke gear will draw crap like the above often.

My Duke mailbox has been damaged numerous times, and I don't dare but anything Duke related on my vehicles. Not worth it.

royalblue
04-01-2016, 02:51 PM
omg really? There is no way you have ever read IC if you feel that is true. No way. They bash Duke (and never ever use the correct spelling) in their sleep. That's all they do is bash Duke. We have one thread on unc and one thread on the FF, that's it... Without even looking I would bet there are no less than 10 Duke based threads on IC...

And unc deserves to be bashed no? They have yet to pay the penalty for 20+ years of orchestrated, systemic, planned and coordinated cheating across multiple majors, including one major that was totally fake and did not exist. Turn in a one page paper to a secretary who will give you the A or B you need. All of the kids on both the 2005 and 2009 teams took the fake major and fake classes in other majors.

By all rights they should get the Death Penalty in Mens BB, FB, Womens BB, Womens Soccer, and maybe others.

The only thing that should be discussed on this Final Four Weekend on TV, Radio, and other media is how bad unc cheated, yet here they are, allowed to waltz into the FF off the back of the 7th easiest bracket ever, and play for another title they won't deserve, because they should have been banned from the tournament to start with.

Should they win it will be the biggest mockery to the Sport ever and a National Embarassment.

This looks correct to me!!

TNDukeFan
04-01-2016, 05:13 PM
(I know, past performance does not predict blah blah, but still)
"There's an Indiana Teenager Who's Missed Only Two March Madness Picks":
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/2016-04-01/march-madness-bracket-theres-indiana-teenager-whos?cid=ncaammsocial_fb_sf23522068

brevity
04-02-2016, 05:19 AM
It's game day, for those of you who are completists, gluttons for punishment, or both. Some points:

TEAM STREAM

When you flip to CBS tonight and Monday night, you will not find basketball. The games are on TBS. There are Team Stream alternatives (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-03-29/team-stream-commentators-announced-oklahomavillanova-and) for Oklahoma and UNC on TNT, and for Villanova and Syracuse on TruTV. The announcers are as follows.

Oklahoma-Villanova, 6pm ET

TBS: Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
TNT (Oklahoma Team Stream): Chad McKee, Eduardo Najera, Jessica Coody
TruTV (Villanova Team Stream): Scott Graham, Brian Finneran, Kacie McDonnell

Syracuse-UNC, later, when old coaches get tired and cranky

TBS: Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, Tracy Wolfson
TNT (UNC Team Stream): Wes Durham, Brendan Haywood, Dwayne Ballen
TruTV (Syracuse Team Stream): Tom Werme, Roosevelt Bouie, Donovan McNabb

OFFICIATING

These 10 officials (http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2016-03-31/march-madness-ncaa-d-i-mens-basketball-committee-names-game-officials) will be in Houston to swallow their whistles whenever Brice Johnson lingers on the rim:

Roger Ayers, Roanoke, Virginia
Jeff Clark, Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
Brian Dorsey, West Caldwell, New Jersey
Mike Eades, Princeton, West Virginia
Tom Eades, Gallatin, Tennessee
John Higgins, Omaha, Nebraska
Tony Padilla, Sacramento, California
Michael Stephens, Providence, Rhode Island
Mark Whitehead, Denham Springs, Louisiana
Terry Wymer, North Baltimore, Ohio

A three-man crew will work each Final Four game, while one official will serve as the standby official for all three contests.

The officiating assignments for each semifinal game, as well as Monday night’s national championship game, will be announced an hour before each game.

SYRACUSE DOUBLE DIPPED, AND NO ONE NOTICED

Syracuse has to be the least likely school ever to put their men's and women's team in the NCAA Final Four the same year.

1983: Georgia (men's #4 seed, women's #2 seed)
1999: Duke (men's #1 seed, women's #3 seed)
2002: Oklahoma (men's #2 seed, women's #1 seed)
2003: Texas (men's #1 seed, women's #2 seed)
2004: Connecticut (men's #2 seed, women's #2 seed)
2005: Michigan State (men's #5 seed, women's #1 seed)
2006: LSU (men's #4 seed, women's #1 seed)
2009: Connecticut (men's #1 seed, women's #1 seed)
2011: Connecticut (men's #3 seed, women's #1 seed)
2013: Louisville (men's #1 seed, women's #5 seed)
2014: Connecticut (men's #7 seed, women's #1 seed)
2016: Syracuse (men's #10 seed, women's #4 seed)

I saw Jim Boeheim on ESPN gushing about Connecticut's Breanna Stewart, who he first saw play when she was in 9th grade. I'm not even sure he knows the Syracuse women are in the Final Four.

weezie
04-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Nice work brev! I'm bummed to not see my personal least fav Jamie Luckey on the ref list. He just adds so much irritation and defiance to games.

grossbus
04-02-2016, 06:36 PM
The commercial signage reflecting off the surface of the court is awful.

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Nova's a pack of piranhas on defense.

moonpie23
04-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Hield is going to have to have a serious 2nd half for them to surge...

man....nova crawled all over the okies...

DukeTrinity11
04-02-2016, 06:54 PM
It's so hard to cheer against either of these teams, love Arcidiacano and Hield especially.

I'm hoping that this game goes to 6 Overtimes and then a meteor strikes NRG Stadium in Houston.

Who's with me?

weezie
04-02-2016, 07:00 PM
OK as long as meteor strikes at tip of 2nd game, I'm in.

gurufrisbee
04-02-2016, 07:01 PM
If Nova is playing this hot they need to keep it up for another 60 minutes.

gumbomoop
04-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Some players seem to have no idea whatsoever of time and situation. After that last Nova basket, OK's Cousins just looked at the ball out of bounds, oblivious to the fact that he was allowing precious seconds to go by. I guess he was waiting for the teammate who normally takes it out. When, five seconds too late he got the ball, he took two dribbles too few and launched it from beyond half court. Hit the rim. Wonderful.

Nova's defense is impressive, and their O well-organized and efficient. Hard to believe they harass so relentlessly on D yet have committed but 2 fouls. And I'm not commenting about the officiating. Their defense is tough, tough.

Hope Nova is this impressive Monday eve, whoever the opponent.

grossbus
04-02-2016, 07:32 PM
The commercial signage reflecting off the surface of the court is awful.

Someone must have noticed, they are off this half.

moonpie23
04-02-2016, 07:38 PM
destroying OK

Tripping William
04-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Cats are legit.

wavedukefan70s
04-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Surprised i am.

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 07:39 PM
If Nova is playing this hot they need to keep it up for another 60 minutes.

I just need them to play to their KenPom ranking on Monday. Superhot would be great, but not needed. Be yourself.

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Some players seem to have no idea whatsoever of time and situation. After that last Nova basket, OK's Cousins just looked at the ball out of bounds, oblivious to the fact that he was allowing precious seconds to go by. I guess he was waiting for the teammate who normally takes it out. When, five seconds too late he got the ball, he took two dribbles too few and launched it from beyond half court. Hit the rim. Wonderful.

Nova's defense is impressive, and their O well-organized and efficient. Hard to believe they harass so relentlessly on D yet have committed but 2 fouls. And I'm not commenting about the officiating. Their defense is tough, tough.

Hope Nova is this impressive Monday eve, whoever the opponent.

Basketball is such a simple game sometimes, and we tend to over think it. The team that makes shots normally wins and the team that misses shots normally loses. Oklahoma has had a ton of good shots just simply not go in and Nova is hitting fadeaway jumpers after spinning round and round with no one to pass to. It happens. You would never know the Sooners won by 23 the previous time they played this year.

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 07:48 PM
I just need them to play to their KenPom ranking on Monday. Superhot would be great, but not needed. Be yourself.

Of course their big guy turns an ankle up by 31.

InSpades
04-02-2016, 07:50 PM
What a beatdown. Nova is playing great and shooting lights out (either would've been enough, both is overkill).

My brother is a huge Nova fan and his little mini-me is possibly even a bigger Nova fan. He flew his family out to Houston for the game. Really happy for them.

National Championship could be my 2nd and 3rd favorite teams (2nd = whoever is playing UNC and 3rd is Nova)!

I'll settle for a former Big East vs. a current Big East showdown though!

NM Duke Fan
04-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Every expert on CBS and it seems most of them elsewhere predicted an Okie victory. Hmmmmmm.

Perhaps this game will inspire lots of players out there, including current and future Duke players, to ramp up their defensive skills. When defense is at that kind of level, it does indeed win Championships ...

MChambers
04-02-2016, 07:52 PM
I'm now worried that Villanova has used all its brilliance tonight. Wow.

On the other hand, I do think Villanova 's backcourt will have a big advantage Monday.

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 07:54 PM
What a beatdown. Nova is playing great and shooting lights out (either would've been enough, both is overkill).

My brother is a huge Nova fan and his little mini-me is possibly even a bigger Nova fan. He flew his family out to Houston for the game. Really happy for them.

National Championship could be my 2nd and 3rd favorite teams (2nd = whoever is playing UNC and 3rd is Nova)!

I'll settle for a former Big East vs. a current Big East showdown though!

Making Oklahoma look like a 16 seed. 24 points in a row. Close to doubling them up. Wow

weezie
04-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Sorry but this is approaching Globetrotter funny. Same turnovers twice in a row.

Now I'm concerned nova will be too confident Monday evening.

gumbomoop
04-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Basketball is such a simple game sometimes, and we tend to over think it. The team that makes shots normally wins and the team that misses shots normally loses. Oklahoma has had a ton of good shots just simply not go in and Nova is hitting fadeaway jumpers after spinning round and round with no one to pass to. It happens. You would never know the Sooners won by 23 the previous time they played this year.

You're right. I didn't mean to say that OK was behind because of that play. But I do like players who understand time and situation, are court aware, etc. In close games, almost everything counts.

tteettimes
04-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Nova is good....very good.....but I can not believe they can compete with the holes on the glass. Jmho

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Sorry but this is approaching Globetrotter funny. Same turnovers twice in a row.

Now I'm concerned nova will be too confident Monday evening.

Nova is not playing confident - they are playing with a chip. I would worry if they play Syracuse.

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 08:00 PM
You're right. I didn't mean to say that OK was behind because of that play. But I do like players who understand time and situation, are court aware, etc. In close games, almost everything counts.
And my apologies, as I was not intending at all to be dismissive of your post or even contradict your post. I just hit reply to you rather than reply to thread to get my thought up.

You are very correct, especially on the play at the end of the half. Errors like that are almost never seen by Duke even with the youngest of our teams. They always understand time, circumstance, and score. Always. It matters.

gurufrisbee
04-02-2016, 08:03 PM
If Nova shoots 75% it won't matter if they get any rebounds against whoever on Monday.

gumbomoop
04-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Hope Wright called that timeout to get 5 new guys in. Don't need injuries.

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Hope Wright called that timeout to get 5 new guys in. Don't need injuries. Yeah I think his lead is safe in this one. Wow. That was fugglly. Feel bad for the Sooners. Nova is not 30-40 points better than them that's for sure...

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Yeah I think his lead is safe in this one. Wow. That was fugglly. Feel bad for the Sooners. Nova is not 30-40 points better than them that's for sure...

Nor was OK 23 points better than Nova earlier in the year. Basketball can be a cruel game.

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Nova is good...very good...but I can not believe they can compete with the holes on the glass. Jmho

Look at it this way. Nova's going to rebound a heck of a lot better than Duke did against UNC in Cameron (64 to 29!). That was a 4-pt game. And Nova is way better than Duke.

gurufrisbee
04-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Nova can beat NC. No doubt about it. Will they? Hopefully we'll never know. Go Cuse!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
That. Was. Stunning.

Eternal Outlaw
Well played Nova, hope you have 40 more minutes left in you, cheering for you no matter who wins next.

Couldn't care less about watching the Academic scandal special tonight, so much happier to having tickets to see Justise in town to play Mason and gerald.

Devilwin
04-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Predicted Villanova to win it all in my brackets. Looking good so far..Tar Holes will lose to them Monday, if they get to Monday..Take it to the bank..:cool:

Tripping William
04-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Hoyas everywhere be like, "Ugh. Houston, we have a problem."

devildeac
04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
I'm cheering for the COI in the 2nd game. :rolleyes:

tteettimes
04-02-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm cheering for the COI in the 2nd game. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah....double Jack on the rocks......pulling for the COI Cougars

Saratoga2
04-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Villanova played nearly a perfect game. This game shows what talent, aggressive play, determination smart execution can do. They are not that big a team except at center, but certainly communicate well and have an incredibly disruptive defense. Buddy was no factor for OK tonight, they didn't let him get comfortable. Villanova can beat anyone.

stillcrazie
04-02-2016, 08:47 PM
That. Was. Stunning.

That was the most riveting 40 point win I have ever seen. Villanova played such a smart, disciplined game. GTHC!!!

Dukehky
04-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Go Orange.

Go to Hell Carolina, go to Hell.

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Go Orange.

Go to Hell Carolina, go to Hell.

Will root for Cuse but they will need to play a perfect game to win.

freshmanjs
04-02-2016, 08:55 PM

Why? I don't think that's nearly true. If Syracuse plays their A game and UNC doesn't, they will have a chance to win.

jv001
04-02-2016, 08:56 PM
The refs were not a factor in the game and that was good to see. Bet it will be different if the cheats play for the NCAA Championship on Monday. GoDuke!

Furniture
04-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Orange with a noisy G!!! Let's go!!

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Mike G playing poorly / nervously / sloppily so far. Won't win if that continues.

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Why? I don't think that's nearly true. If Syracuse plays their A game and UNC doesn't, they will have a chance to win.
UNC can rebound in that zone so they do not have to play well to win. Syracuse needs to hit shot from deep to keep it close- and maybe steal it at the end.

freshmanjs
04-02-2016, 09:06 PM
UNC can rebound in that zone so they do not have to play well to win. Syracuse needs to hit shot from deep to keep it close- and maybe steal it at the end.

Well, Syracuse has already made several mistakes and is way past having a chance for a perfect game. So, I guess you think they have zero chance now? (I still think they have a chance).

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Well, Syracuse has already made several mistakes and is way past having a chance for a perfect game. So, I guess you think they have zero chance now? (I still think they have a chance).

Well they are not playing an A game either.It close now- but UNC looks to be the better team out there because of their ability to rebound. Silent G is pressing and that cannot happen.

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Foul trouble hurting Cuse here. They've got to hang on the rest of the half. An 8-pt halftime deficit would be a win.

Duke79UNLV77
04-02-2016, 09:30 PM
Well they are not playing an A game either.It close now- but UNC looks to be the better team out there because of their ability to rebound. Silent G is pressing and that cannot happen.

I'd say Syracuse is playing about a C game now. Not what a top 40 team needs in the Final Four.

Furniture
04-02-2016, 09:30 PM
UNC are deep! I think it helps!

fraggler
04-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Unless Syracuse makes a pretty dramatic mental turnaround during the half, we will be relying on Villanova to stop the evil empire on Monday.

BigZ
04-02-2016, 09:38 PM
From the games I've seen him play Silent G has a very low basketball IQ

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Foul trouble hurting Cuse here. They've got to hang on the rest of the half. An 8-pt halftime deficit would be a win.

Not looking good. UNC is the better team tonight and their role players are just better. Don't see another miracle run in the Cuse.

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Not looking good. UNC is the better team tonight and their role players are just better. Don't see another miracle run in the Cuse.

Hitting shots would help. 3-10 from three, 3-10 from FT line won't produce an upset.

FerryFor50
04-02-2016, 09:47 PM
3-10 from the ft line for Syracuse. A few of those front end if 1-1.

20-25 vs uva.

Are you kidding me?

moonpie23
04-02-2016, 09:49 PM
cuse just cannot handle unc inside........they've figured out that pass, pass, pass, pass, pass 5 seconds left on shot clock throw it inside for an easy bucket...

J.Blink
04-02-2016, 09:51 PM

I think this is it entirely. In my experience, most of the time when people bring up their fandom to me, it's been good natured.

Last weekend, I went to the NC Zoo (in the rural and geographic middle of the state) with my family. You get a lot of people from all across the state. While there was a LOT of Cheater gear present (bleh), not one person said a thing to me. I only saw one other person wearing a Duke shirt--a kid--and I did compliment his and his family's taste!

A few year's back I was driving from NC to Chicago and stopped for the night in Kentucky. I said "oh great, I'm wearing a Duke shirt, somebody is definitely going to say something." My wife (from a completely sports-apathetic family in Wisconsin) just rolled her eyes and said I was being paranoid. Of course the first thing the night manager of the hotel said was "Duke huh? Go cats!" We then actually had a nice conversation about the teams that year. Never would have said more than about 5 words to the guy if I hadn't been wearing a Duke shirt.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-02-2016, 09:51 PM
cuse just cannot handle unc inside...they've figured out that pass, pass, pass, pass, pass 5 seconds left on shot clock throw it inside for an easy bucket...
Or just miss and tip it back in. Grrrrrr.

gurufrisbee
04-02-2016, 09:56 PM

Absolutely true.

Cheaters are terrible at shooting 3's, so the 2-3 is good against them.

However, you don't rebound well in a 2-3 and NC is huge and will crush the offensive glass.

And Brice JOhnson is basically the ideal guy to play the high post against a 2-3 zone. And Hicks isn't bad either.

Cuse needs to play like that second half run against UVA - but for a longer stretch.

Coballs
04-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Good call boys hahaha. Let's go Nova!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dairedevil
04-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Couldn't help but chuckle at the NCAA ad played at the half. " NCAA prioritizing academics, well-being and fairness"

True, they didn't say how they prioritize. But I've got to say, if they think that academics are of any importance, how do they feel about these two teams playing for place in the championship game?

downeastdad
04-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Time for another 16 point comeback! Go, Orange (way lesser of two evils).
ded

dukelion
04-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Absolutely true.

Cheaters are terrible at shooting 3's, so the 2-3 is good against them.

However, you don't rebound well in a 2-3 and NC is huge and will crush the offensive glass.

And Brice JOhnson is basically the ideal guy to play the high post against a 2-3 zone. And Hicks isn't bad either.

Cuse needs to play like that second half run against UVA - but for a longer stretch.

0-10 on 3's at the half....still up 11.

Hate that they're a good team....but....they are.

The final should be great as Nova is playing their best ball of the year.

devildeac
04-02-2016, 10:11 PM
3-10 from the ft line for Syracuse. A few of those front end if 1-1.

20-25 vs uva.

Are you kidding me?

unc defends the 15 ft line well?

:rolleyes:

JetpackJesus
04-02-2016, 10:12 PM
How do refs miss the 3 egregious travels early in second half? The first was a foul on Syracuse somehow. The second and third both occurred on the same press break.

devildeac
04-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Hitting shots would help. 3-10 from three, 3-10 from FT line won't produce an upset.

Alternatively, if the cheaters hit 30% from 3, this one might have been over at the half.

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 10:15 PM
How do refs miss the 3 egregious travels early in second half? The first was a foul on Syracuse somehow. The second and third both occurred on the same press break.

Game looks over now.

Green Wave Dukie
04-02-2016, 10:16 PM
Realize SU isn't making many buckets, but surprised Boeheim hasn't used a full court press at all.

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Realize SU isn't making many buckets, but surprised Boeheim hasn't used a full court press at all.

I think they broke it out for one possession and UNC scored in 1.5 seconds.

That said, I'm sure if they can't eat into the lead, they'll try it again soon.

gofurman
04-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Unc is about the best at breaking presses. Hate to say it but Duke could take lessons in press breaking from unc.

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 10:20 PM

So... the only Duke fans living in the Triangle that catch grief from Duke Haters are 1. Oversensitive and 2. Jerks that rag other fans and thus deserve said grief. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

jacone21
04-02-2016, 10:22 PM
I had to turn it off after that last 13ft quartering away hook shot that Johnson hit. I can't watch any more. I want to make sure I keep down the tenderloin and cabernet I had for dinner.

Furniture
04-02-2016, 10:28 PM
So... the only Duke fans living in the Triangle that catch grief from Duke Haters are 1. Oversensitive and 2. Jerks that rag other fans and thus deserve said grief. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Drama queens?

Troublemaker
04-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Clutch three by Paige to take the momentum back there.

That might've been Cuse's run there. Looking like Nova-UNC

devildeac
04-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Go Wildcats!

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 10:35 PM

Made it interesting but too big a lead by UNC. Cuse played a little more scrappy D. That is what Nova will need to do all game.

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Yep. Would have been nice seeing them have to face a 1 or 2 seed tonight. Total different game and story if that happens. A 10 seed was going to have to play a lot better than Syracuse did to win this game. Sucks buts that's how things roll with them.

gurufrisbee
04-02-2016, 10:39 PM

Absolutely. Had it down to 7. Paige started it right back up to 14. It was the shot UVA never got.

Duke79UNLV77
04-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Is this game Silent G's ultimate revenge on Duke?

downeastdad
04-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Press not working any better than the free throws. I quit - go Wildcats!!!
ded

Furniture
04-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Valiant try by the Orange! I really like their players.
Que bosta!
You know Carolinas line up is what many Duke fans would like.
A couple of really good seniors then stacked with juniors and sophomores. Lots of bigs too!
Even Joel James was knocking them down at one point!

Furniture
04-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Is this game Silent G's ultimate revenge on Duke?
That's just not right!

dukelifer
04-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Valiant try by the Orange! I really like their players.
Que bosta!
You know Carolinas line up is what many Duke fans would like.
A couple of really good seniors then stacked with juniors and sophomores. Lots of bigs too!
Even Joel James was knocking them down at one point!

Both Nova and UNC are playing really well right now. Hard to see UNC losing it tough. Even when they play their B game right now- they win by 17.

duke79
04-02-2016, 10:56 PM
I hate to say this.......but I think UNC will be national champions (BUT....Go Nova!!). Ugh. At least Duke will have the satisfaction of beating them on their own court. I'll never forget the amount of despair on the IC board after that loss to Duke.

eddiehaskell
04-02-2016, 11:03 PM
They've been knocking down 3s when it matters. Hard for any team to make a come back on them when they control the boards AND hit 3s in the 2nd half. Hicks, Johnson, Jackson, James, Meeks, Pinson...just alot of tall/long guys to deal with. Throw in Paige hitting 3s and that's all she wrote.

cspan37421
04-02-2016, 11:04 PM
so much for "cheaters never prosper"

westwall
04-02-2016, 11:04 PM
from another thread, but:

Recall the recent history of ACC teams in the Tournament. Since about 1980, ACC teams have been "paired" as NCAA champs, with only one exception: the UNCheat's undeserved win in 2005. Otherwise, an ACC win has always resulted in a pairing of two ACC winners in consecutive years. Put another way, when a "first" ACC team wins, another ACC team always wins the next year creating a "pair" of ACC NCAA champs. Consider this list:

1982 -- UNC
1983 ---NC State

1992 --- Duke
1993 --- UNC

2001 --- Duke
2002 --- Maryland

2009 --- UNC
2010 --- Duke

2015 --- Duke
2016 --- (UNC or Syr) ??

Thus, if history prevails, 2016 should be another ACC win. Not comforting, especially with UNCheats now in the Championship game.

GO VILLANOVA !! CHANGE HISTORY !!

freshmanjs
04-02-2016, 11:13 PM

Recall the recent history of ACC teams in the Tournament. Since about 1980, ACC teams have been "paired" as NCAA champs, with only one exception: the UNCheat's undeserved win in 2005. Otherwise, an ACC win has always resulted in a pairing of two ACC winners in consecutive years. Put another way, when a "first" ACC team wins, another ACC team always wins the next year creating a "pair" of ACC NCAA champs. Consider this list:

1982 -- UNC
1983 ---NC State

1992 --- Duke
1993 --- UNC

2001 --- Duke
2002 --- Maryland

2009 --- UNC
2010 --- Duke

2015 --- Duke
2016 --- (UNC or Syr) ??

Thus, if history prevails, 2016 should be another ACC win. Not comforting, especially with UNCheats now in the Championship game.

This works especially well when you leave out the time it didn't go that way (2005).

mo.st.dukie
04-02-2016, 11:26 PM

1982 -- UNC
1983 ---NC State

1992 --- Duke
1993 --- UNC
1994 --- Duke in the championship game

2001 --- Duke
2002 --- Maryland

2009 --- UNC
2010 --- Duke

2015 --- Duke
2016 --- (UNC) ??
2017 --- Duke in the championship game but hitting the big shot this time???

If Nova doesn't change history this year maybe Duke can next year by doing what the 94 team almost did.

Wander
04-02-2016, 11:26 PM
I'm now worried that Villanova has used all its brilliance tonight. Wow.

Villanova demolished a good opponent in the Sweet 16 and then beat the overall #1 seed in the Elite 8. They've been brilliant all tournament.

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 11:37 PM
This works especially well when you leave out the time it didn't go that way (2005).

You choose to ignore the OP's specific reference to 2005 as an exception or did you just miss it when reading his post?

freshmanjs
04-02-2016, 11:39 PM
You choose to ignore the OP's specific reference to 2005 as an exception or did you just miss it when reading his post?

A flavor of the former. UNC winning Monday night would not be "history prevailing" anymore than Florida winning in 2006 was "history failing."

Newton_14
04-02-2016, 11:43 PM
A flavor of the former. UNC winning Monday night would not be "history prevailing" anymore than Florida winning in 2006 was "history failing."

I personally believe past history means squat when two teams step on to the floor for a game, but that doesn't change the fact back to back ACC National Titles has been sort of a weird occurrence several times in the past...

And no one wants Nova to beat them by more points than they beat Oklahoma than me..

freshmanjs
04-02-2016, 11:50 PM
I personally believe past history means squat when two teams step on to the floor for a game, but that doesn't change the fact back to back ACC National Titles has been sort of a weird occurrence several times in the past...

And no one wants Nova to beat them by more points than they beat Oklahoma than me..

Same pattern exists for the Big East teams. 1984-85 and 2003-2004 and 2013-14 (I know Uconn was 1 year out in 2014). Not sure this is really that unusual or interesting.

El_Diablo
04-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Same pattern exists for the Big East teams. 1984-85 and 2003-2004 and 2013-14 (I know Uconn was 1 year out in 2014). Not sure this is really that unusual or interesting.

1999? 2011?

freshmanjs
04-02-2016, 11:57 PM
1999? 2011?

Yes but per above, it's fine to ignore the exceptions with the ACC, so why not with the Big East?

DukeandMdFan
04-02-2016, 11:57 PM

1982 -- UNC
1983 ---NC State

1992 --- Duke
1993 --- UNC

2001 --- Duke
2002 --- Maryland

2009 --- UNC
2010 --- Duke

2015 --- Duke
2016 --- (UNC or Syr) ??

I think 1991 is a better pair for 1992

gumbomoop
04-03-2016, 02:08 AM
Going back to this interesting graphic ...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/2016-ncaa-tournament-north-carolina-tar-heels-easy-bracket-history-highest-seeds

... we find that if UNC wins Monday eve, its road to the NC will have tied for the third easiest over the last 30 years, whereas if Villanova wins, its path will have become the second most difficult.

The graphic might at least push us to acknowledge that, whatever the quality of the top 12-15 teams this season, Villanova has had a considerably tougher road to Monday night than have the Heels. And however routinely the Heels have predictably dispatched their relatively weak set of NCAAT opponents, the Wildcats have unpredictably triumphed very-to-astonishingly easily in 4 of their 5 games. The only exception was against a Kansas team thought to be UNC's tip-top-tier equal.

I've paid no attention to Villanova this season. Until the second half against Miami. I don't think they're nearly as talented on O as UNC -- but I also don't know why I say that. Maybe it's that they don't have anything that matches the Heels' ability to get easy baskets, because of the Heels' size, O-rebounding, run-outs, and Brice Johnson. Yet in the tourney, Villanova's O and D have probably been even more consistently effective than has UNC's O and D, and against better (higher seeded) opponents.

Villanova has been even more impressive than the impressive Heels. Tougher, more relentless, more focused. It's perhaps a common assumption that "If the Heels plays their A game, they'll win." But right now Villanova's A game actually looks better.

Doesn't it?

Indoor66
04-03-2016, 07:37 AM

1982 -- UNC
1983 ---NC State

1991 --- DUKE
1992 --- Duke
1993 --- UNC

2001 --- Duke
2002 --- Maryland

2009 --- UNC
2010 --- Duke

2015 --- Duke
2016 --- (UNC or Syr) ??

FIFY

royalblue
04-03-2016, 07:37 AM
Going back to this interesting graphic ...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/2016-ncaa-tournament-north-carolina-tar-heels-easy-bracket-history-highest-seeds

... we find that if UNC wins Monday eve, its road to the NC will have tied for the third easiest over the last 30 years, whereas if Villanova wins, its path will have become the second most difficult.

The graphic might at least push us to acknowledge that, whatever the quality of the top 12-15 teams this season, Villanova has had a considerably tougher road to Monday night than have the Heels. And however routinely the Heels have predictably dispatched their relatively weak set of NCAAT opponents, the Wildcats have unpredictably triumphed very-to-astonishingly easily in 4 of their 5 games. The only exception was against a Kansas team thought to be UNC's tip-top-tier equal.

I've paid no attention to Villanova this season. Until the second half against Miami. I don't think they're nearly as talented on O as UNC -- but I also don't know why I say that. Maybe it's that they don't have anything that matches the Heels' ability to get easy baskets, because of the Heels' size, O-rebounding, run-outs, and Brice Johnson. Yet in the tourney, Villanova's O and D have probably been even more consistently effective than has UNC's O and D, and against better (higher seeded) opponents.

Villanova has been even more impressive than the impressive Heels. Tougher, more relentless, more focused. It's perhaps a common assumption that "If the Heels plays their A game, they'll win." But right now Villanova's A game actually looks better.

Doesn't it?

I hope so you make a good case

Only 2 teams have ever made the final game with out playing a top 4 seed Both heels 05 16

Only 3 teams have had a seed line of more than 12 to face in the final four
UL 2013 13
Fla 2006. 13
Mich st 2000 13

Only 2 teams have shot over 70% in a FF game
Nova 85 and 16
Here is Hoping for a 3rd Supernova

diablesseblu
04-03-2016, 09:46 AM
As Roy continues on his never-ending “Poor Poor Pitiful Persecuted Me” Tour…. what might we expect between now and midnight Monday?

Will Roy require every member of “the media” to feel his nail-scarred hand”?
Will Roy pull up his $150 Peter Millar shirt to show us where the Centurion’s spear pierced his side?
Has there EVER been a nationally prominent coach more self-absorbed ….. more over-the-top delusional? More totally convinced that it’s ALL ABOUT HIM ….. It’s ALL ABOUT ROY?

Troublemaker
04-03-2016, 10:26 AM

Doesn't it?

Based on how both teams are currently trending -- and if there are no Monday night jitters for either team -- I'm expecting a great basketball game to unfold. I would give the Heels a slight edge, but they will have to make tough clutch plays to win it. Which they're certainly capable of between Paige, Johnson, and Berry. Berry's emergence has been so key for UNC this season. I hate his program but I love his floater. Hicks and Jackson also provide high-level support around Johnson and Paige. They're just a really good team for this season.

According to KenPom's "Pyth" (Pythagorean rating), 4 teams have separated themselves from the pack in a major way this season: Nova, UNC, UVA, and Kansas. It's a shame that UVA collapsed against Cuse; otherwise, UNC would've had to beat two teams from this tier to win the national championship. As is, I do expect Nova to give UNC a heck of a fight and at times look like the better team. Hopefully one of those times is when the final buzzer sounds with Nova having scored more points.

freshmanjs
04-03-2016, 10:31 AM
According to KenPom's "Pyth" (Pythagorean rating), 4 teams have separated themselves from the pack in a major way this season: Nova, UNC, UVA, and Kansas.

Kind of, but that is based on rankings including the tournament. So it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Before the tournament, Michigan State was in Kenpom top 4 and UNC wasn't.

Troublemaker
04-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Nova has sometimes played an Ochefu-Reynolds-Bridges frontcourt this season, so if anyone is worried UNC is just going to pound them inside and on the boards all game long, Jay Wright definitely can make this adjustment if needed. But typically Nova's smallball beats your bigball so he's going to see how that goes at first. Incidentally, Roy has sometimes played Jackson at PF and Pinson at SF in UNC's version of smallball, so they can adjust to each other as needed. Good for Roy to have added that flexibility to his repertoire.

freshmanjs
04-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Nova has sometimes played an Ochefu-Reynolds-Bridges frontcourt this season, so if anyone is worried UNC is just going to pound them inside and on the boards all game long, Jay Wright definitely can make this adjustment if needed. But typically Nova's smallball beats your bigball so he's going to see how that goes at first. Incidentally, Roy has sometimes played Jackson at PF and Pinson at SF in UNC's version of smallball, so they can adjust to each other as needed. Good for Roy to have added that flexibility to his repertoire.

Ochefu's ankle is an issue. He has been hobbling / limping at points during all of their games.

Troublemaker
04-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Yep, and his performance has been good throughout despite being dinged up. Hopefully the senior can suck it up for one more game and play well again. Obviously they'll need him.

royalblue
04-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Based on how both teams are currently trending -- and if there are no Monday night jitters for either team -- I'm expecting a great basketball game to unfold. I would give the Heels a slight edge, but they will have to make tough clutch plays to win it. Which they're certainly capable of between Paige, Johnson, and Berry. Berry's emergence has been so key for UNC this season. I hate his program but I love his floater. Hicks and Jackson also provide high-level support around Johnson and Paige. They're just a really good team for this season.

According to KenPom's "Pyth" (Pythagorean rating), 4 teams have separated themselves from the pack in a major way this season: Nova, UNC, UVA, and Kansas. It's a shame that UVA collapsed against Cuse; otherwise, UNC would've had to beat two teams from this tier to win the national championship. As is, I do expect Nova to give UNC a heck of a fight and at times look like the better team. Hopefully one of those times is when the final buzzer sounds with Nova having scored more points.

The UVA loss bothered me more than any non Duke or uncch game I can remember. UVA had a great chance to beat uncch if they met in the FF.I hope Nova wins so that feeling can go away.

moonpie23
04-03-2016, 10:49 AM
ugh.....i'm recommending this...

weezie
04-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Mercy from above: the wind began to pick up last night and whoop-de-doo, went flat out for twelve hours!

Now, who's got some wildcat gear for me to borrow?

CameronBlue
04-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Mercy from above: the wind began to pick up last night and whoop-de-doo, went flat out for twelve hours!

A feral kitten just showed up at my house last night, will that do?

Spanarkel
04-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Villanova demolished a good opponent in the Sweet 16 and then beat the overall #1 seed in the Elite 8. They've been brilliant all tournament.

The official Villanova basketball web site states that 'Nova's Kris Jenkins and (presumably UNC's) Nate Britt, Jr. are siblings. I know both played at D.C.'s Gonzaga High(Tyler Thornton fan here), but have never heard of any parental connection between Jenkins and Britt. Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

Rich
04-03-2016, 12:24 PM
The official Villanova basketball web site states that 'Nova's Kris Jenkins and (presumably UNC's) Nate Britt, Jr. are siblings. I know both played at D.C.'s Gonzaga High(Tyler Thornton fan here), but have never heard of any parental connection between Jenkins and Britt. Can someone please clarify? Thanks!

Link: http://bfy.tw/54cq

Spanarkel
04-03-2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks, Rich! I read a good bit of CBB internet reporting but somehow missed that.

devildeac
04-03-2016, 01:34 PM
New *niversity of n*rth c*rolina mission statement:

Cum neque operae pretium est pro decepto

Or, for those that prefer an updated AFAM translation (no credits included):

Chochote thamani ya kuwa ni yenye thamani ya udanganyifu kwa

Dukehky
04-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I went to Church this morning, just to pray that Carolina loses tomorrow night. Some of you may deem that excessive, but you don't live in Chapel Hill either.

gurufrisbee
04-03-2016, 03:54 PM
ESPN actually has a garbage piece out today about how all those doubters out there have fueled poor underdog Carolina players.

WHAT?

They were the #2 OVERALL seed going into the tournament.

They were given a ridiculously easy region with a 2 seed that should have been a 6, a 3 seed that still can't shoot at all, a 4 seed that came from the most overrated used-to-be major conference there is, and a 5 seed that lost their best scorer during the season. The media went nuts because of the names and histories of these teams but it looked bad from the outset and looked even worse once they actually started playing. I'm pretty sure the only team other than the Cheaters who played two good games in the region was Stephen F Austin.

After the first weekend, despite that they played the first halves of both games, including against the SIXTEEN seed, to ties, the talking heads out there suggested they were the BEST team of the sixteen left.

After the second weekend they were the only 1 seed left and given a bye in the Final Four against a lucky and overrated 10 seed and EVERYONE was picking them to win it all.

What DOUBTERS have been spurring this underdog mantra the Carolina players are using to motivate them?

I'm guessing this is simply a case that the tutors who write their papers are also reading to them and making up flat out lies. Dang gum motivation!

weezie
04-03-2016, 04:02 PM
I went to Church this morning, just to pray that Carolina loses tomorrow night. Some of you may deem that excessive, but you don't live in Chapel Hill either.

Bless you.

DU82
04-03-2016, 04:55 PM

Wore mine around town this morning. Got it from my niece, who works for the women's team. Hope that covers you. (didn't get to Trader Joe's in hell today, hopefully this coming weekend, with a reason to wear the V gear again!)

MChambers
04-03-2016, 08:19 PM
The local stats guy explains why Villanova will win:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/04/03/why-villanova-will-beat-north-carolina-to-become-the-ncaa-national-champion/?tid=pm_sports_pop_b

I agree.

And then the COI takes away UNC's last two titles.

jv001
04-03-2016, 09:44 PM

Seems like two good families and two good kids. I'm rooting for Jenkins over Britt but don't tell Wheat :cool: GoDuke!

Furniture
04-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Seems like two good families and two good kids. I'm rooting for Jenkins over Britt but don't tell Wheat :cool: GoDuke!

Wheat hasn't been seen for quite some time.

WiJoe
04-03-2016, 10:30 PM
Wheat hasn't been seen for quite some time.

Wouldn't want to see him. Sure we will hear from if the nauseating bozos prevail

SoCalDukeFan
04-03-2016, 10:41 PM
I am in a pool. You pick before each round, starting with the Sweet 16.

I am in second place, one point out of first. The final game is worth 5 points. Someone else is 5 points out of first.

So if the leader picks the winner, he wins.
If I pick the same team as the leader, I can not win.
I have no idea which team the leader will pick. He has picked unc all 3 games but did pick UVa to beat Villanova.
It is winner take all the matchsticks.

I want the pick the team he does not pick and hope they win.

HELP

Newton_14
04-03-2016, 10:48 PM

I am in second place, one point out of first. The final game is worth 5 points. Someone else is 5 points out of first.

I have no idea which team the leader will pick. He has picked unc all 3 games but did pick UVa to beat Villanova.

HELP

If he picked UVA over Nova I would think he is picking Nova to lose tomorrow night. Based on what you have told me, I think Nova to win is the only logical choice you can make, no?

kshepinthehouse
04-04-2016, 06:27 AM

HELP

KenPom has Villanva as a favorite to win 56%

Vegas has UNC as 2.5 favorite. I'm guessing he will pick the favorite to win but not sure what model he will use. I had a similar scenario for th Final Four and had to go underdog to have any chance to win. I didn't win but it was still the right decision as it was the only way I could pass someone. I'm guessing he will pick UNC so I would go Villanova if I were you. You don't want any part of having to root for UNC anyway lol.

Lar77
04-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Little Catholic school beats the mighty.

AMEN

Dukehky
04-04-2016, 11:08 AM
I think the fact that UNC has played no actually good team will really hurt them tonight. Nova has faced a gauntlet, so as long as they didn't empty the tank against OU, I think they can win this game.

If you can keep Berry, yes Berry OMG I can't believe I just mentioned Berry, out of the paint on the drives, then you have a good shot at winning because Carolina is one of the best interior passing teams that I've seen in a while. Jackson, Johnson, Pinson, Meeks are all very good high post passers. Damn. This team would be kind of fun to watch if they weren't wearing light blue and could occasionally make a 3 point shot. Note: I don't want this to be the night that they start doing that again

#1Duke
04-04-2016, 11:25 AM
If the Tar Heels can hold 'Nova to 30% or so on 3-point shots and hit 4 or 5 themselves this game goes to the Heels.

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2016, 11:31 AM
I will be watching Better Call Saul, lesson planning for the week, then play a game of 2K16. I will monitor the game on my phone but I think Villanova emptied their tank against Oklahoma on Saturday and UNC wins handily (I am going to go throw up now, excuse me).

Troublemaker
04-04-2016, 11:49 AM

HELP

I agree with Newton and KShep. The casual fan and all the talking heads will tend to pick UNC here. (And, of course, they may end up being right.)

If your opponent is clever, he might try to game out what he would do in your situation and conclude that you would pick Nova and therefore he will pick Nova to match. But that seems like over-thinking it. Take Nova and tip your cap if he successfully makes the maneuver, but most likely, he's picking UNC.

kAzE
04-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I will be watching Better Call Saul, lesson planning for the week, then play a game of 2K16. I will monitor the game on my phone but I think Villanova emptied their tank against Oklahoma on Saturday and UNC wins handily (I am going to go throw up now, excuse me).

What? They had their walk ons playing with 3:00 minutes to go. And they played before UNC, so they get an extra 3 hours of rest. If anything, they figured out how to shoot in the dome, and they are going to kill UNC with their ridiculous outside shooting and withering defense. All of those guys are playing with a ridiculous amount of confidence and intensity. UNC had an easy game against a conference opponent that they've seen twice already. They won't know what hit them. Oklahoma clearly didn't. Villanova was playing at least 3 levels higher energy than the Sooners. I don't even know what that means, but you get the idea. Unless UNC plays the best game of their season, I like the Wildcats to win the title.

DukeTrinity11
04-04-2016, 12:18 PM
What? They had their walk ons playing with 3:00 minutes to go. And they played before UNC, so they get an extra 3 hours of rest. If anything, they figured out how to shoot in the dome, and they are going to kill UNC with their ridiculous outside shooting and withering defense. All of those guys are playing with a ridiculous amount of confidence and intensity. UNC had an easy game against a conference opponent that they've seen twice already. They won't know what hit them. Oklahoma clearly didn't. Villanova was playing at least 3 levels higher energy than the Sooners. I don't even know what that means, but you get the idea. Unless UNC plays the best game of their season, I like the Wildcats to win the title.

I completely agree with you here. I put $1,000 on Nova Money Line and $500 on Nova +1 for tonight's game; I haven't felt this confident in a wager this tournament since...betting on Villanova -2 vs. Oklahoma on Saturday.

The only way UNC wins this game is if Ochefu and/or Jenkins gets into foul trouble early which would change the complexion of the game.

Villanova's perimeter defense is elite; Archie and Hart will be giving Berry and Paige fits all game. Nova only outrebounded Oklahoma by 3 and still won by 44...think about that for a second.

Even if UNC outrebounds Nova by 30 like they did against the Devils in the 2nd matchup, I still like the Wildcats to win by double digits. They are much better version defensively and slightly better version offensively of this year's Duke team that gave UNC all kinds of fits. Jenkins especially is a matchup nightmare for the Tar Heels since he can draw them away from the perimeter with his ability to knock down 3s.

UNC hasn't played a team of this caliber the entire tournament while Nova has ran the gauntlet to get here and won in the most convincing way possible.

Bet the house of Villanova tonight!

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2016, 12:21 PM

Villanova played their best game of the season and there is no way they repeat. If UNC plays like they have this month they win easily. I expect Villanova to shoot less than 30% and the game is over by halftime. I really hope I'm wrong.

kAzE
04-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Villanova played their best game of the season and there is no way they repeat. If UNC plays like they have this month they win easily. I expect Villanova to shoot less than 30% and the game is over by halftime. I really hope I'm wrong.

You're kidding, right? Villanova has been scorching the nets this entire tournament. They've only gotten better and better as they've advanced. What makes you think they will suddenly go ice cold? UNC's perimeter defense doesn't scare anyone, and their ball handlers are exactly the type of guys who could crumble against Villanova's ball hawks.

In my opinion, Kansas and Oklahoma were comparable teams to UNC, and BOTH of them are better defensively, yet Villanova scored easily on both teams. UNC will have to find a way to outscore them, and given how poorly Paige and Berry shot against Syracuse, I don't think they are up to the challenge. The fact that Vegas favors UNC is a mystery to me. I would say they are the underdogs here.

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2016, 12:43 PM
You're kidding, right? Villanova has been scorching the nets this entire tournament. They've only gotten better and better as they've advanced. What makes you think they will suddenly go ice cold? UNC's perimeter defense doesn't scare anyone, and their ball handlers are exactly the type of guys who could crumble against Villanova's ball hawks.

In my opinion, Kansas and Oklahoma were comparable teams to UNC, and BOTH of them are better defensively, yet Villanova scored easily on both teams. UNC will have to find a way to outscore them, and given how poorly Paige and Berry shot against Syracuse, I don't think they are up to the challenge. The fact that Vegas favors UNC is a mystery to me. I would say they are the underdogs here.

What makes me think they'll go ice cold? Because I've seen this before with teams going against UNC. You mentioned that Villanova's interior players are tough and unless they get in foul trouble then it will be tough for UNC. Spoiler alert, they will get in foul trouble and it will be before the 2nd television timeout. Again I hope I'm wrong but this is a coronation for UNC.

DukeTrinity11
04-04-2016, 01:13 PM
What makes me think they'll go ice cold? Because I've seen this before with teams going against UNC. You mentioned that Villanova's interior players are tough and unless they get in foul trouble then it will be tough for UNC. Spoiler alert, they will get in foul trouble and it will be before the 2nd television timeout. Again I hope I'm wrong but this is a coronation for UNC.

Everyone is wired differently. It looks like you always expect the worst and hold a faint glimmer of hope for something positive in life. Yes, if Villanova plays the worst game of its season and unlike how its played all tournament long, then it will lose to UNC.

UNC has had the easiest path to a championship game that I can recall; they will be exposed tonight unless they play their best game of the year and Paige/Berry are knocking down 3s at a 40% clip.

slower
04-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Everyone is wired differently. It looks like you always expect the worst and hold a faint glimmer of hope for something positive in life. Yes, if Villanova plays the worst game of its season and unlike how its played all tournament long, then it will lose to UNC.

UNC has had the easiest path to a championship game that I can recall; they will be exposed tonight unless they play their best game of the year and Paige/Berry are knocking down 3s at a 40% clip.

You're correct in noting that many of us assume the worst and hope for the best w/r/t Tarholes. It makes life a bit more bearable. :p

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Only with Carolina is this true.

gumbomoop
04-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Re the vigorous back-and-forth above among Dukehky, NashvilleDevil, kAzE, and DukeTrinity11, I don't think either team necessarily has to play its best game of the season to win. But neither team can win playing its B game if the other team plays its A minus game.

It will be interesting to see whether Villanova can limit UNC's easy baskets, and as Dukehky implies, that must include disrupting their interior passing lanes. Can a team that hasn't played them prepare for Carolina's long-pass fast breaks? Ditto for preparing for UNC's relentless O-rebounding? Although Villanova could stay close if the Heels get lots of easy buckets, they'd have to shoot another unusually high % and get to the FT-line regularly. If UNC is (allowed to be) fluid on O, bad news. Villanova wants its fierce D to force UNC to work hard on every possession.

A gritty, intense game probably favors Villanova. Hope early foul trouble doesn't hurt Nova. I don't know how they managed to commit only 2 fouls in the first half v. OK, but I'll hope for a repeat of that miracle tonight.

Troublemaker
04-04-2016, 02:52 PM

If you're going to do that Nashville, I expect you to comment on the episode in the BCS thread on Off-Topic

Me, I'm going to force myself to watch the game even though it may end in a bad way. Go Nova! I do believe they have a chance here.

dukelifer
04-04-2016, 03:15 PM

This should be a good game. Nova can spread the floor and should be able to find ways to score. They play disruptive D. The big question is whether UNC can exploit their huge size advantage. Johnson is a difficult guy to play- particularly off of misses. UNC has more overall talent but Nova is tough and play very well together. Game situations and foul trouble may determine this one. I expect UNC will win because of their depth up front but Nova should make it interesting.

mr. synellinden
04-04-2016, 04:57 PM

You know, they also beat Kansas, who everyone thought was the best team, and they beat everyone else in the tournament by at least 10. Villanova is for real. Yes, I doubt that they will shoot 70% again, but they are have been playing at a very high level throughout the tourney. They only shot 40% from the field against Kansas (and still won) but in their other four games, their shooting percentages were as follows: Round of 64: 58%; Round of 32: 59%; Sweet 16: 62%; Final Four: 71%. When you look at that, the performance against Oklahoma looks less like a huge anomaly and more like a balancing out from the Kansas game. They are essentially shooting almost 60% for the whole tournament. That's ridiculous.

UNC has not played a top 15 team in weeks and that is going to come back to hurt them, I think. I don't think they will be prepared for how athletic, physical and fundamentally sound Villanova is. I don't think UNC is going to get a ton of offensive rebounds, so unless they can shoot better than say around 38% from 3 (which I don't think they will), I think Nova wins this one and I wouldn't be surprised if they win by 10.

royalblue
04-04-2016, 04:57 PM
What should be the stat of the day
The Wildcats last 3 games played seed line
3 1 2 adds up to 6
That is one more than the best seed uncch has played in the tourney or equal to the seed they played in the elite eight
Go Nova!!!!!

hudlow
04-04-2016, 07:35 PM
If nothing else, I wanna see Brice Johnson get called JUST ONCE for hanging on the rim.

I'm beginning to think he can't dunk without showboating.

hud

royalblue
04-04-2016, 08:23 PM
If nothing else, I wanna see Brice Johnson get called JUST ONCE for hanging on the rim.

I'm beginning to think he can't dunk without showboating.

hud

That's almost like hoping for a Tyler travel call from a few years back

Wander
04-04-2016, 08:31 PM

Yeah. If Villanova wins in a blowout tonight, they will have the best average margin of victory of any tournament team ever, including all those UCLA championship teams. Yes, they shot lights out against Oklahoma... if they didn't shoot an unreal percentage, they only would have won by 25 instead of 44. Big deal.

I'm not saying Villanova will definitely win, but they are legit and I'd be surprised if they just totally crumble.

subzero02
04-04-2016, 09:17 PM
They rode over to the hilla looking for a thrilla but the boys from the villa had other intentions...

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2016, 09:29 PM

Just a reminder that I called this.