PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Amaker being considered for Vandy?

Emerrick
03-27-2016, 02:19 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/03/27/who-could-replace-kevin-stallings-vanderbilt/82213160/

Lordy, I hope so. Praying for the Easter bunny to deliver Tommy to Nashville!

Henderson
03-27-2016, 02:24 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/03/27/who-could-replace-kevin-stallings-vanderbilt/82213160/

Lordy, I hope so. Praying for the Easter bunny to deliver Tommy to Nashville!

From a Vandy point of view, absolutely. From a Harvard point of view, not so much. From an Amaker point of view, I'm not sure it's a big enough step up for him to move.

COCO
03-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Tommy should stay at Harvard. He belongs there. He does a great job. He is a leader in the community. His wife, Stephanie, has a very important job there. Vandy would be a big step down.

Bostondevil
03-27-2016, 02:32 PM
NO!!!!!!! Please don't leave Harvard, Tommy! Sure you can go coach at Vandy, do a great job, make the NCAAs a few times. Maybe even get to a Sweet 16. If you get extremely lucky, a Final Four. But the longer you stay, the more likely you are going to become "Legendary Harvard Basketball Coach Tommy Amaker". You already are the best Harvard has ever had. Stick around and pass Pete Carril as the best the Ivy League has ever had.

(I love Amaker, but there's no way he'll pass Coach K as the GOAT - so stay at Harvard! Please!)

BD80
03-27-2016, 02:50 PM
I would rather have seen Johnny Dawkins at Vandy

CDu
03-27-2016, 02:59 PM

That was never going to happen. Dawkins' stock was shot after turning the needle decidedly downward at Stanford. Vandy isn't a top-tier gig, but they aren't going to offer a lateral move to a guy who struggled at a similar-tier job.

duke09hms
03-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Dawkins at Vandy was a pipe-dream after failing at Stanford. Vandy aspires to be what Stanford used to be pre-Dawkins, no way they take him. I hope Amaker stays at Harvard, and there's a good chance he will. His wife is director of college mental health at Harvard Med and a psychologist at McLean Hospital, probably the best mental health hospital in the country. Plus he also turned down Wake Forest recently, so he's no stranger to top-level offers.

Now, Duke coach + Duke Med for this power couple might be a different story ...

Henderson
03-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Dawkins at Vandy was a pipe-dream after failing at Stanford. Vandy aspires to be what Stanford used to be pre-Dawkins, no way they take him.

I aspire to be a GQ model too.

Vandy is the Grinnell College of college basketball. Cute, lovable, great stories, undergrads impressed with themselves, nice protests for animal rights. But not ready for prime time college basketball.

Stallings won an average of 19.25 games per season at Vandy. In 18 seasons, Stallings got to the sweet 16 only twice and in 10 of those 18 years, his teams didn't make it to the NCAA tourney at all.

So let's not talk about Johnny Dawkins' "failure" at Stanford without talking about the pitiful track record of Kevin Stallings, whose school didn't hire Johnny Dawkins.

Grinnell says: See you in the CBI. It's on Vandy.

duke79
03-27-2016, 05:41 PM

Vandy is the Grinnell College of college basketball. Cute, lovable, great stories, undergrads impressed with themselves, nice protests for animal rights. But not ready for prime time college basketball.

Stallings won an average of 19.25 games per season at Vandy. In 18 seasons, Stallings got to the sweet 16 only twice and in 10 of those 18 years, his teams didn't make it to the NCAA tourney at all.

So let's not talk about Johnny Dawkins' "failure" at Stanford without talking about the pitiful track record of Kevin Stallings, whose school didn't hire Johnny Dawkins.

LOL, very funny! Someone was trying to convince my daughter that she should apply to Grinnell......and I was.....like......UGH !!

Henderson
03-27-2016, 06:03 PM
LOL, very funny! Someone was trying to convince my daughter that she should apply to Grinnell...and I was...like...UGH !!

I should have explained that I'm a Grinnell College fan, because it's a great school. I just threw them in to make the point. If my kids were still in college-application mode, I wouldn't hesitate to green light Grinnell. Really a great school with a strong emphasis on service and first rate liberal arts academics.

throatybeard
03-27-2016, 06:16 PM
How do you last 18y with that postseason record, even in the SEC?

Houston
03-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Stephanie Amaker got her PhD from Vandy. This could get interesting.

sagegrouse
03-27-2016, 06:54 PM
Stephanie Amaker got her PhD from Vandy. This could get interesting.

Tommy would need to have his head examined to take the Vandy job. Unfortunately for him, Stephanie is a clinical psychologist.

Turk
03-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Tommy would need to have his head examined to take the Vandy job. Unfortunately for him, Stephanie is a clinical psychologist.

Tommy should play hard to get. "Build me a new gym first, and then we'll talk..."

Emerrick
03-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Tommy should play hard to get. "Build me a new gym first, and then we'll talk..."

Vandy's gym is pretty nice actually. More like "Show me the money!"

YmoBeThere
03-27-2016, 11:27 PM

While a cute analogy, it is incorrect. The more apt comparison to Vandy during that 18 year time frame is somewhere between NC State and Wake Forest. Tourney appearances(NC State 9, Vandy 8, Wake Forest 7)Sweet Sixteens(NC State 2, Vandy 2, Wake 1). Additionally, 1 SEC Tourney title when UK ended up winning the National Championship.

I'm not a fan of Stallings, but to compare Johnny's record to his and find Stallings' record lacking speaks of some agenda.

Regarding whether it would be a step up for Amaker, I don't see how it wouldn't be. While he had a good four year run at Harvard, this year was a step back and more inline with his first couple of years there. And it should be noted that he's only made one Sweet Sixteen and 5 NCAA Tournaments in 19 years of coaching. And 4 of those appearances were from the Ivy League. FWIW, I do think he is about the best level of option that Vandy can get.

eddiehaskell
03-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Hmm, in the past 11 seasons Vandy's had eight 20+ win seasons. While not top tier, they play in a good conference. Perhaps they could challenge Kentucky for best in the SEC with the right coach?

CrazyNotCrazie
03-28-2016, 09:13 AM
I know that coaches tend to be very competitive types (a necessary character trait to be successful), but I believe that not every coach is constantly looking for the next great thing. At some point, you realize that you are in a good place for you professionally and your family and hope that you can stay there for the rest of your career - you don't always have to be moving up the ladder. There might be some natural affinity to Vandy since Tommy's wife spent some time there, but otherwise, I don't think he should move for the sake of moving, even if Vandy is throwing some more money at him. I'm sure he enough money to lead a very comfortable life, and it seems like he and his wife have very nice gigs in Boston. If I were him, I would stay put.

duke79
03-28-2016, 12:11 PM
I know that coaches tend to be very competitive types (a necessary character trait to be successful), but I believe that not every coach is constantly looking for the next great thing. At some point, you realize that you are in a good place for you professionally and your family and hope that you can stay there for the rest of your career - you don't always have to be moving up the ladder. There might be some natural affinity to Vandy since Tommy's wife spent some time there, but otherwise, I don't think he should move for the sake of moving, even if Vandy is throwing some more money at him. I'm sure he enough money to lead a very comfortable life, and it seems like he and his wife have very nice gigs in Boston. If I were him, I would stay put.

Yea, this would be my thought too. No clue what Harvard pays him (or his wife), but I'm guessing he has a very comfortable life at Harvard and in the Boston area (although an expensive place to live and the weather sucks for much of the year). I could be wrong but I think it would be very hard to turn Vandy into a basketball powerhouse and this could one of those jobs where you struggle for a number of years to create a top program and then you get fired (a la Johnny Dawkins at Standford). A big gamble, IMHO.

kAzE
03-28-2016, 12:15 PM
I think this may be a ploy to squeeze a bit more cash out of the Harvard folks. Let's see how big that endowment REALLY is. On the other hand, as a Vandy alum, I'm on board with this. Stallings gave us some great years, but Tommy is an up and comer with real recruiting chops. The SEC could really use another good coach. It's starting to become Globetrotters (UK) vs. the Generals (everyone else). I think he'll stay. He's got a seriously talented recruiting class coming in. Harvard is going to dominate the Ivy League for the foreseeable future if he stays.

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2016, 12:46 PM
I think this may be a ploy to squeeze a bit more cash out of the Harvard folks. Let's see how big that endowment REALLY is. On the other hand, as a Vandy alum, I'm on board with this. Stallings gave us some great years, but Tommy is an up and comer with real recruiting chops. The SEC could really use another good coach. It's starting to become Globetrotters (UK) vs. the Generals (everyone else). I think he'll stay. He's got a seriously talented recruiting class coming in. Harvard is going to dominate the Ivy League for the foreseeable future if he stays.

I'm on board with this. Harvard is a good gig, but there is a ceiling to what Harvard can achieve in basketball. In a Power 6 school, it's different. I'm not saying Amaker is going to put Vandy in the same sphere as Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, etc, but Amaker can turn Vandy into the next ND (and with a little luck, maybe even closer to a Wisconsin or a UVA). Now that's an exciting proposition!

But if Amaker is happy with Boston (how couldn't you be? Great city!) and Harvard (less likely. I mean, even though it's the Duke of the North, it's still Harvard), then he should stay. They like him, he likes them, great job security, etc.

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Harvard is going to dominate the Ivy League for the foreseeable future if he stays.
I hope this is true, he certainly had a few good years, until this season. Does he have an amazing class coming in? Did he lose lots of experience and leadership from 2015 that contributed to this year being such a washout? The Crimson finished 4th, with a 6-8 conference record. (14-16 overall)

BD80
03-28-2016, 03:09 PM
I hope this is true, he certainly had a few good years, until this season. Does he have an amazing class coming in? Did he lose lots of experience and leadership from 2015 that contributed to this year being such a washout? The Crimson finished 4th, with a 6-8 conference record. (14-16 overall)

Rhetorical questions?

My understanding is that that is exactly the situation. He lost multiple senior leaders last year, and has a nationally ranked recruiting class (rare in the Ivy League) coming in.

Exnicios
03-28-2016, 03:10 PM

Adding to what kAzE brought up on the Harvard recruiting class--per ESPN, Harvard has the 11th rated class nationally. Tommy's got 7 commits, including 4 4-star guys, and 3 in (the bottom half) of the ESPN 100. Needless to say, Vanderbilt (and Pitt for that matter) don't appear in the top 40 of class rankings.

To boot, Harvard should get Siyani Chambers back next season. Who knows what Tommy's calculus is, but there are a lot of reasons to stick with Harvard.

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2016, 03:13 PM
Rhetorical questions?

My understanding is that that is exactly the situation. He lost multiple senior leaders last year, and has a nationally ranked recruiting class (rare in the Ivy League) coming in.
Yep..I have no clue, only really followed their box scores this year, especially after it became obvious they weren't destined to be a contender in the league.

Adding to what kAzE brought up on the Harvard recruiting class--per ESPN, Harvard has the 11th rated class nationally. Tommy's got 7 commits, including 4 4-star guys, and 3 in (the bottom half) of the ESPN 100. Needless to say, Vanderbilt (and Pitt for that matter) don't appear in the top 40 of class rankings.

To boot, Harvard should get Siyani Chambers back next season. Who knows what Tommy's calculus is, but there are a lot of reasons to stick with Harvard.
Thanks to both, sounds like this coming season should be an exciting one if he stays. I'm looking forward to seeing how the first Ivy league tourney works out this year.

throatybeard
03-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Vanderbilt is good at baseball, at least.

kAzE
03-29-2016, 10:01 AM

Hey, we're also really amazing at beer pong. It's not our fault the NCAA won't sanction it as an official sport.

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 10:53 AM
I used to know Tommy on a very casual level. He patronized my Drug Store's soda fountain and grill in East Durham while he was at Duke a couple of times a week. He loved the fresh home made orange aides, and pimento cheese sandwiches! He also was my best friends next door neighbor for a short time when he lived in some condo's in Durham. We did a few 12oz curls in his living room back in the day.

He is one of the most down to earth people you will ever meet. When he got the job at Seaton Hall, I sent him a card, and he replied with a personal note, as he did when he went to Michigan and Harvard. I keep these in my "I love Duke" room. Every time I have ever corresponded with him (just a few times over the years), he writes back on his official stationary. We were not good friends at all, but we were friendly, and the fact that he remembers me and takes time to acknowledge my well wishes is special and means a lot to me.

He is also responsible for getting every player from the 91 National Championship team to sign my 91-92 media guide (my most precious piece of memorabilia).

I wish him noting but the best.... he is truly one of the good guys!

GO TOMMY!!

devildeac
03-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Why no discussion of Capel to Vandy?

freshmanjs
03-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Why no discussion of Capel to Vandy?

Because he's not in the mix for that job. What would there be to discuss?

COYS
03-29-2016, 12:48 PM

As a Princeton Tiger Duke fan living in Nashville, I would LOVE to see Amaker come down here. While Penn is Princeton's fiercest historical basketball rival, the overall rivalry between Princeton, Harvard, and Yale is full of more pure loathing, at least for me. I still can't believe that Harvard and Yale have suddenly gotten good at basketball while traditional powers Princeton and Penn haven't been as consistently good (Penn has been straight up bad, which is actually kind of sad). Imagine Amaker coaching Maryland when Maryland was still an ACC school. No, it's not UNC but you simply CANNOT root for him. Even worse, it's incredibly annoying that Maryland is doing so well. That's how I feel about his tenure at Harvard. Nothing made me happier than beating them in the one game playoff for the Ivy crown a few years back when they had a stacked team. And nothing hurt more than losing to a weak Harvard team to fumble away the Ivy title this season. Having Tommy move to Vandy would give me reason to adopt Vandy as my third favorite team AND take away an excellent coach from Harvard, who will hopefully sink back into basketball obscurity where they belong. It's a win-win for me!

Jeffrey
03-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Once bitten, twice shy.

oldnavy
03-29-2016, 12:51 PM
As a Princeton Tiger Duke fan living in Nashville, I would LOVE to see Amaker come down here. While Penn is Princeton's fiercest historical basketball rival, the overall rivalry between Princeton, Harvard, and Yale is full of more pure loathing, at least for me. I still can't believe that Harvard and Yale have suddenly gotten good at basketball while traditional powers Princeton and Penn haven't been as consistently good (Penn has been straight up bad, which is actually kind of sad). Imagine Amaker coaching Maryland when Maryland was still an ACC school. No, it's not UNC but you simply CANNOT root for him. Even worse, it's incredibly annoying that Maryland is doing so well. That's how I feel about his tenure at Harvard. Nothing made me happier than beating them in the one game playoff for the Ivy crown a few years back when they had a stacked team. And nothing hurt more than losing to a weak Harvard team to fumble away the Ivy title this season. Having Tommy move to Vandy would give me reason to adopt Vandy as my third favorite team AND take away an excellent coach from Harvard, who will hopefully sink back into basketball obscurity where they belong. It's a win-win for me!

Hate the game, not da playa!! :)

COYS
03-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Hate the game, not da playa!! :)

Man, sometimes it's hard to see past the colors the player wears :). I was initially rooting for him to have one successful season and then immediately get hired elsewhere. Then I was rooting for him to tire of Boston winters. Now I just want anyone . . . ANYONE to hire him away from the Crimson (that's assuming that he really truly would never go to UNC and that there is basically no chance he ends up at UK or Maryland).

devildeac
03-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Because he's not in the mix for that job. What would there be to discuss?

Got a much more reasonable/rationale/polite-r answer from Troublemaker re: the possible Capel-to-Vandy question on the other thread. Never stopped us from discussing reasonable topics/questions before. Then my follow-up question is :why not? Major assistant coach to major conference job opening with similar academic profiles/recruiting difficulties.

Dev11
03-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Got a much more reasonable/rationale/polite-r answer from Troublemaker re: the possible Capel-to-Vandy question on the other thread. Never stopped us from discussing reasonable topics/questions before. Then my follow-up question is :why not? Major assistant coach to major conference job opening with similar academic profiles/recruiting difficulties.

With us losing Stanford, the Duke coaching tree needs to take hold of another best academic institution in a conference, even if that conference is the SEC.

duke79
03-29-2016, 02:53 PM

Yea, I'm surprised Vandy has NOT looked at Jeff Capel (but maybe they have?) as a potential coach. Somewhat similar profile to Duke and someone who would presumably know the challenges and difficulties of coaching at a school like Vandy. But maybe the Oklahoma "problem" scares off some schools? Who knows?

devildeac
03-29-2016, 04:50 PM
With us losing Stanford, the Duke coaching tree needs to take hold of another best academic institution in a conference, even if that conference is the SEC.

IOW, a safety school :o;):rolleyes: .

devildeac
03-29-2016, 04:51 PM

Yea, I'm surprised Vandy has NOT looked at Jeff Capel (but maybe they have?) as a potential coach. Somewhat similar profile to Duke and someone who would presumably know the challenges and difficulties of coaching at a school like Vandy. But maybe the Oklahoma "problem" scares off some schools? Who knows?

Thank you both. Good thoughts/reasons/explanations.

Nugget
03-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Yep..I have no clue, only really followed their box scores this year, especially after it became obvious they weren't destined to be a contender in the league.

Thanks to both, sounds like this coming season should be an exciting one if he stays. I'm looking forward to seeing how the first Ivy league tourney works out this year.

Tommy really does look like he's got in locked in at Harvard to be a consistent Ivy powerhouse over the next 4 years (after having made the NCAAs 4 straight times before the roof caved in this year). I, too, stopped following them as the season fell off, but they looked quite competitive in the Hawaii tournament over Christmas, with a lot of guys who will be back this coming season.

Not only should Harvard have back Sr. PG and 3 year starter Chambers, but his replacement McCarthy who got thrown to the wolves as a Freshman showed real promise. Harvard will have back 7 other guys who played meaningful minutes, including 6-9 Sr. Center Zena Edosomwan, who is a formidable Ivy League frontcourt presence very comparable to Yale's stars this year.

And, on top of that, as noted, Tommy has an absurd (by Ivy League standards) recruiting class coming in. Even if ESPN's ranking of #11 might be too high, Rivals has them #31 (with 3 players in their Top 150 and a fourth described as "just missing," which doesn't even include 6-9 C Henry Welsh, the younger brother of UCLA's Thomas Welsh who has proven to be a very effective Pac 12 player).

Harvard could easily rip off another 3 or 4 NCAA tourneys over the next 4 years.

53n206
03-29-2016, 10:38 PM
. But maybe the Oklahoma "problem" scares off some schools? Who knows?[/QUOTE]

I live in Oklahoma, hard even for me to remember, not only to understand, the problems that Jeff had here. By following him at Duke,as a coach, it's hard to believe that the Oklahoma problemwas of major importance. It's been some time so perhaps whatever happened here is no longer a factor in his eligibility to coach at a major institution, hopefully one with strong academic foundation

duke79
03-30-2016, 11:36 AM
. But maybe the Oklahoma "problem" scares off some schools? Who knows?

I live in Oklahoma, hard even for me to remember, not only to understand, the problems that Jeff had here. By following him at Duke,as a coach, it's hard to believe that the Oklahoma problemwas of major importance. It's been some time so perhaps whatever happened here is no longer a factor in his eligibility to coach at a major institution, hopefully one with strong academic foundation[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I forget what the exact issues were with Oklahoma when Jeff was the coach. I would hope the "statute of limitations" has passed by now (but who knows with certain schools). As far as I know, Jeff is a person of honor and integrity.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-31-2016, 02:13 AM

There was a joke made on the day Stalling's departure was announced that bringing Stallings to Pitt was the second best thing Todd Turner ever for Vandy. Hiring Corbin as the baseball coach was #1. I liked Stallings for the most part, but most Vandy folks I know are fine with parting ways.

I have mixed feelings about Amaker to Vandy. I like Tommy and am impressed with what he's done at Harvard, but I'm not sure he'd be successful at Vandy. I think there is a better fit out there.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2016, 09:57 AM
This article gives a reasoned look at the Vandy coaching searching from the Commodores' point of view.

http://www.anchorofgold.com/2016/3/30/11329714/vanderbilt-basketball-2016-coaching-search-update-gregg-marshall-kevin-keatts

sagegrouse
03-31-2016, 11:04 AM
This article gives a reasoned look at the Vandy coaching searching from the Commodores' point of view.

http://www.anchorofgold.com/2016/3/30/11329714/vanderbilt-basketball-2016-coaching-search-update-gregg-marshall-kevin-keatts

Since this is also an SB Nation site, I could probably reprint the whole article, but I will give you a digested version:

Choice A: Gregg Marshall of Wichita State -- Vandy will pay big time, but Marshall may be waiting for a "blueblood" option. Get it? UNC, Duke, Ky. or Kansas -- none of which are likely, because the Heels and Devils will probably stick to the family tree and Self and Calipari ain't leaving for a decade or more. Or maybe Marshall want something equivalent -- Michigan State, Louisville, Arizona, UConn, or Indiana. None of these may happen and Marshall may retire at Wichita State.
Choice B: Kevin Keatts of UNCW
Choice C: Matt McCall of Chattanooga (only one year as head coach)

The article has no mention of Capel and dismisses Amaker as a fig newton of Jeff Goodman's imagination.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-31-2016, 01:45 PM
The Vandy AD David Williams announced that the search would focus on 100+ names and would probably take awhile. I'll check back here in a few weeks.

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2016, 03:53 PM
The Vandy AD David Williams announced that the search would focus on 100+ names and would probably take awhile. I'll check back here in a few weeks.
That's a lot of names, I'm assuming Ozzie is in the mix? I know he wouldn't leave Duke, but his name has to be out there.

kAzE
03-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Since this is also an SB Nation site, I could probably reprint the whole article, but I will give you a digested version:

Choice A: Gregg Marshall of Wichita State -- Vandy will pay big time, but Marshall may be waiting for a "blueblood" option. Get it? UNC, Duke, Ky. or Kansas -- none of which are likely, because the Heels and Devils will probably stick to the family tree and Self and Calipari ain't leaving for a decade or more. Or maybe Marshall want something equivalent -- Michigan State, Louisville, Arizona, UConn, or Indiana. None of these may happen and Marshall may retire at Wichita State.
Choice B: Kevin Keatts of UNCW
Choice C: Matt McCall of Chattanooga (only one year as head coach)

The article has no mention of Capel and dismisses Amaker as a fig newton of Jeff Goodman's imagination.

ooooo I hope we get Marshall. He's fantastic. Although I agree that he might think Vandy as school below his status, especially considering how Wichita St. murdered us in the play in round this year. At least we have this game (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=250800238), though I believe Marshall was still at Winthrop back then.

Emerrick
04-01-2016, 07:19 PM
So, I wonder how many Duke fans are former Vandy grads solely because of the Billy McCaffrey tie?

YmoBeThere
04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
So, I wonder how many Duke fans are former Vandy grads solely because of the Billy McCaffrey tie?

They have a tie with Billy on it?

I have it easy, I went to both schools.

FWIW, Vandy has hired Bryce Drew to be their next men's basketball coach. I am excited by this choice...