PDA

View Full Version : Glimpse Inside the Aftermath Article from WaPost

devildeac
03-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Something nice and worth reading if you're tired of the media sh*tstorm:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/03/25/a-brief-glimpse-inside-the-aftermath-dukes-ncaa-tournament-exit/

DUKIE V(A)
03-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks for sharing. Nice to have an article humanizing the team instead of tearing it down.

I had an interesting and unusual experience this week. My family spent 4 days at "The Homestead" in Bath County, Virginia. We all wore a ton of Duke gear throughout the week and received nothing but supportive comments throughout the week ranging from "Go Duke!" to several in-depth conversations from families from Maryland and Kentucky apologizing for the behavior of their fans over the years. We watched the Sweet 16 from the hotel bar with at least 250 people and no one was obnoxiously cheering against Duke. Several employees went out of their way to offer condolences after the loss and a man donning Oregon Duck gear from head to toe congratulated Duke for its tremendous success over the years. He went on to stay that this is the biggest victory in his over 50 years of being an Oregon fan to have beaten such a classy, championship program. Weird but positive experience. I did not know there were places outside of the Duke Campus that did not have an anti-Duke hostility about it. It made the loss easier to take. By the way, The Homestead is an outstanding family spot made only better by the way the employees treated us.

arnie
03-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks for sharing. Nice to have an article humanizing the team instead of tearing it down.

I had an interesting and unusual experience this week. My family spent 4 days at "The Homestead" in Bath County, Virginia. We all wore a ton of Duke gear throughout the week and received nothing but supportive comments throughout the week ranging from "Go Duke!" to several in-depth conversations from families from Maryland and Kentucky apologizing for the behavior of their fans over the years. We watched the Sweet 16 from the hotel bar with at least 250 people and no one was obnoxiously cheering against Duke. Several employees went out of their way to offer condolences after the loss and a man donning Oregon Duck gear from head to toe congratulated Duke for its tremendous success over the years. He went on to stay that this is the biggest victory in his over 50 years of being an Oregon fan to have beaten such a classy, championship program. Weird but positive experience. I did not know there were places outside of the Duke Campus that did not have an anti-Duke hostility about it. It made the loss easier to take. By the way, The Homestead is an outstanding family spot made only better by the way the employees treated us.
I need to move to Bath County, VA - sounds like paradise!

DukieInKansas
03-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the link to the article.

Don't bother reading the comments - nothing worth reading there. Glad there were only 9 because, much like you can't help but rubberneck at an accident, I wasn't able to stop after the first one.

captmojo
03-26-2016, 11:00 AM

Bath County has been chosen by some movie makers, due to the fact that many random camera shots could be taken that did not have the images of utility poles and wires that would require removal techniques to appear more remote toward the wilderness.

rsvman
03-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the link to the article.

Don't bother reading the comments - nothing worth reading there. Glad there were only 9 because, much like you can't help but rubberneck at an accident, I wasn't able to stop after the first one.

Amen, brother. Too bad I didn't read your post before I read the article (and the comments). Just goes to show two things: 1) nothing can change the minds of those whose minds are already made up, and 2) if you even want a glimpse into the absolute worst of humanity, just read the comments section.

cato
03-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Guys! Guys.

Never read the comments.

Never

MarkD83
03-26-2016, 11:52 AM

Since we have gone off on a bit of a tangent. The Homestead and Greenbrier are set in the Blue Ridge Mountains / George Washington National Forest and they are not too far from Virginia Tech. So if you can get out to a Duke VT football game in Blacksburg, take the time to head a few miles west and take a nice hike in the Blue Ridge.

wsb3
03-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Guys! Guys.

Never read the comments.

Never

And that applies to all articles.. Some people appear to have no life outside of calling each other names online.

75Crazie
03-26-2016, 01:13 PM
It was a real treat growing up to be taken to play golf at the Cascades courses there at the Homestead ... not only for the golf, but just for the drive through that scenic area. That was 50 years ago, I'm glad to hear that it evidently has not changed that much.

grad_devil
03-26-2016, 01:24 PM
It's starting to hit me how much I'll miss Marshall Plumlee.

I found this portion of the article heart-rending:

...Walking around, you’d keep coming across red eyeballs. Back across the room, Plumlee finally said, “I don’t want to take off the jersey, even though I have to now.”

BeachBlueDevil
03-26-2016, 03:10 PM
It's starting to hit me how much I'll miss Marshall Plumlee.

I found this portion of the article heart-rending:

Man, that Plumlee quote hits me right in the feels.

I hope he can catch on with an NBA team and if not, maybe work with Duke Basketball in some capacity in the future.

SilkyJ
03-26-2016, 03:24 PM

Love the Homestead. Spent a week there with my family before I moved in for my senior year in dur'm.

My own personal experiences over the past ~5 years jibe with your experience at the homestead. I have found the masses don't hate Duke nearly as much as they used to. Still plenty of overblown media scrutiny, but we live in a 24/7 news world that blows everything out of proportion and reaches for headlines. This happens on Fox News, CNN and definitely with the talking heads on ESPN. I've long been able to ignore those idiots, but its pleasant to see everyday folks don't seem to hate Duke nearly as much as they used to. The only thing I can attribute it to would be Coach K's success with Team USA and the fact that stars like Durant, Kobe, Lebron, etc. all seem to love Coach K. Makes it a lot harder to hate Duke when the superstar you cheer for loves the face of the program...

Reilly
03-26-2016, 03:44 PM
"Virginians have had more time to become accustomed to feeling superior."

"To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from the Almighty."

http://www.richmond.com/article_e7983461-0c73-5c91-9d9a-16335e1f3712.html

Nrrrrvous
03-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Having grown up in Hot Springs, VA and put myself through high-school and college working weekends/summers at the Homestead, it's the kinda place you don't appreciate until you're gone. All I wanted to do when I lived there was to get out. I've been gone about 20 years and really miss the hiking/fishing/hunting around there.
I will say this, there are a lot of UNC/Duke fans mixed in with the UVA/VaTech fans in rural VA. I became a Duke fan in grade school there and stayed a Duke fan while attending Tech. Now I try to root for both whenever possible. Representing the ACC out here in Utah!!

Back to point! I'm going to miss Marshall but I'm also looking forward watching the next 4-year player(s) that grows into a man before our very eyes.

Papa John
03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
It was a real treat growing up to be taken to play golf at the Cascades courses there at the Homestead ... not only for the golf, but just for the drive through that scenic area. That was 50 years ago, I'm glad to hear that it evidently has not changed that much.

You lucky dog! The Lower Cascades is one of my favorite courses. I love the Old Course, too, but it isn't quite the challenge that the Lower Cascades presents. Unfortunately, the Upper Cascades was closed a few years back... That was a charming layout, too.

SmartDevil
03-27-2016, 02:07 AM
I've enjoyed Culpepper's columns in the Post.

During next season, you might want to follow him.