PDA

View Full Version : Cubs vs. Diamondbacks

EarlJam
10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Lead-off error leads to the tying run on second base with nobody out. The pitcher is up to the plate. The game is a pitcher's duel.

And you DON'T BUNT the tying run to third?

WHY?

-EarlJam

YmoBeThere
10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Diamondbacks up in the series 1-0

riverside6
10-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Like most, I think big Z should've gone one more inning at the very least. That being said, if the Cubs could've executed with a man on a 2nd and no outs, they would've won IMO.

EarlJam, the reason Z swung away was because out of the Cubs lineup Z had hit the ball the hardest against Webb to that point. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with that philosophy though. That being said Stephen Drew made a great play on the line drive Z hit.

Mal
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
The Cubs lost because they were about 1 for 12 with runners in scoring position.

I would have bunted Zambrano, but then again Soriano's not a good sacrifice fly kind of guy. Not good at all. Your chances of scoring Theriot by either Zambrano, who smoked two balls off Webb, or Soriano getting a base hit were almost as good as your chances of both of them executing sacrifices back to back. So I understand Lou's decision there.

My only thought on taking out your ace who's pumped up and pitching great after only 85 pitches is Piniella's obviously planning on throwing Zambrano in Game 4 Sunday. And Marmol's been unhittable the last two months, so there was absolutely no reason to think he'd get knocked the way he did. I wouldn't have pulled Z, but again I understand. That said, if the Cubs take Game 1 against Webb in Phoenix, this series is over. Arizona could not afford to lose that game, so I wanted Lou to go after it a little harder.

Again, though, bottom line is they hit like crud with runners on base, and Webb was locating very well except in the 6th. He didn't give anyone anything to drive, and he owned Soriano, Jones and Ramirez.

riverside6
10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Outside of hitting a hanging curve, D Lee, was pretty silent as well.

The Big 3 of Fonzie, Lee, and Ramirez simply have to do more.

juise
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Piniella's obviously planning on throwing Zambrano in Game 4 Sunday.

I think he said as much. This morning Colin Cowherd was saying that this decision basically meant he was managing with the expectation of losing at some point (which would necessitate game 4). I kind of agree with him, though I could see the upside to resting Z if you think that Marmol will come in and be lights out.

EarlJam
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I think he said as much. This morning Colin Cowherd was saying that this decision basically meant he was managing with the expectation of losing at some point (which would necessitate game 4). I kind of agree with him, though I could see the upside to resting Z if you think that Marmol will come in and be lights out.

I don't know if it was the crowd, the stadium, or what, but from the onset last night the D-Backs were displaying much more energy than the Cubs. It's an intangible, but I think an accurate observation.

hc5duke
10-04-2007, 01:21 PM
The Cubs deserve to lose the series after what that fan did in the 9th inning - flashing some cubs logo sign while Valverde was pitching to Soto or Theriot. He was sitting behind the catcher, and from what the announcers were saying, it seems he wasn't a regular fan, he was a journalist or some official Cubs representative. Disgraceful - I'm shocked he wasn't immediately thrown out of the game.