PDA

View Full Version : Martins Transfering from State

Pghdukie
03-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Don't panic, no Duke players. ESPN is reporting the Martin Twins are leaving NCSt. That's going to hurt. Barber has declared for the draft, now Twins heading out. St. has a pretty good class coming in, but, they lost alot.

killerleft
03-24-2016, 03:51 PM
I imagine State fans are finding it most disturbing that Gottfried can recruit the players to make waves in the ACC, but can't get 'em to stick around long enough to see his efforts bear fruit.

devildeac
03-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Don't panic, no Duke players. ESPN is reporting the Martin Twins are leaving NCSt. That's going to hurt. Barber has declared for the draft, now Twins heading out. St. has a pretty good class coming in, but, they lost alot.

Well, there goes all of our Rowan and Martin jokes.:o

And I'll bet Gottfried does NOT consider this a laugh-in matter...

sagegrouse
03-24-2016, 04:07 PM

This is crazy -- they have solid roles and are valuable members of the team. Hmmm....

BD80
03-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Well, there goes all of our Rowan and Martin jokes.:o

And I'll bet Gottfried does NOT consider this a laugh-in matter...

You bet your sweet bippy!

Here come da judge, here come da judge ...

JPtheGame
03-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Even worse for pack fans, beejay Anya has declared that he's not transferring.

Tripping William
03-24-2016, 04:21 PM
Mark Gottfried's statement about this is really cryptic (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/sophomore-guards-cody-caleb-martin-to-transfer-from-nc-state/15597925/). At least this part, anyway:

"While I don’t share all of their views, I have certainly come to understand and respect the unique dynamic and special bond that exists between identical twins, especially when they play the same sport for the same team."

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Can someone please change the title to "NC State - Transferring Out"? I had a mini heart attack thinking it was a Duke player. I'm reserving all my mini heart attacks for tonight.

Regarding the twins, I'm guessing the starting twin wasn't too happy about his brother not getting "quality" minutes. At least that's what I got from Gottfied's message.

FerryFor50
03-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Can someone please change the title to "NC State - Transferring Out"? I had a mini heart attack thinking it was a Duke player. I'm reserving all my mini heart attacks for tonight.

Regarding the twins, I'm guessing the starting twin wasn't too happy about his brother not getting "quality" minutes. At least that's what I got from Gottfied's message.

That's what happens when you make recruiting promises. I am assuming that to get one, they had to make promises that became difficult to fulfill.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Worst.

Thread title.

Ever.

- oh, good, it's changed. Geez.

Rich
03-24-2016, 04:33 PM

Rather than transferring, wouldn't it have been easier to just swap uniforms so the bad one could play more? It's not like anyone would've known the difference. :rolleyes:

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-24-2016, 04:48 PM
Feels like a full on dumpster fire may not be far off.

superdave
03-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Feels like a full on dumpster fire may not be far off.

State fans right now: "I like Gott but.........."

Doria
03-24-2016, 04:53 PM

I am envious that you are only reserving mini heart attacks.

Man, the hits keep coming for State. Wow. I honestly did not see this in the making. Seemed like the Martins were playing well at the end of the year, and positioned to be good players for State next year, especially with another good to great point guard.

elvis14
03-24-2016, 04:56 PM
What a mess. During the ACC tournament I was talking with a Duke fan about State (right before we played them). I took a look a the guys they had on their team and thought that if Coach K was coaching that team, theres no way they don't at least make the NCAA tournament. With Cat, the mobile bigs they have, Anya's defense, etc. I don't think Gottfried is maximizing his teams potential.

I have a lot of friends that are State fans. If State's not playing Duke or Clemson I'm all about them winning but, as usual, I just end up feeling bad for the NCSU faithful. Those poor fans always get let down but many of them impress me because they keep showing up.

devildeac
03-24-2016, 05:00 PM
You bet your sweet bippy!

Here come da judge, here come da judge ...

Funny you should mention that.

Who wrote Here Comes The Judge? (There are 2 correct answers as they were indeed 2 completely different songs apparently. One has 3 writers, the other has 4.)

Why is this important? Because the first release was by the singer/writer who also co-wrote and recorded the original version of Devil With The Blue Dress.

(Well, maybe not important but at least a curiously related Duke fact. :o)

MChambers
03-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Did Gottfried say "sock it to me"?

Jeffrey
03-24-2016, 05:13 PM
Those poor fans always get let down ...

Don't pity them too much. The greatest ACC player wore their jersey.

Jeffrey
03-24-2016, 05:18 PM
That's what happens when you make recruiting promises. I am assuming that to get one, they had to make promises that became difficult to fulfill.

Not sure recruiting promises is the main issue. K does not make promises and still experiences significant transfers.

sagegrouse
03-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Not sure recruiting promises is the main issue. K does not make promises and still experiences significant transfers.

Most are players who aren't playing and don't think they are gonna play. Not too many exceptions -- who besides Elliot Williams? Silent G wasn't playing (just 111 minutes in his only year at Duke) but would have been a key player had he stayed.

Caleb and Cody Martin this season averaged 31 and 26 minutes per game, respectively.

JasonEvans
03-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Caleb and Cody Martin this season averaged 31 and 26 minutes per game, respectively.

Clearly, according to Gott, the problem was that they did not average exactly 28.5 minutes each. After all, twins are sooooo difficult to manage.

They are quality players and will be a significant addition to whatever program they join.

-Jason "this is not what State needs just as Carolina may be headed for a downturn (sanctions and poor recruiting)" Evans

Jeffrey
03-24-2016, 05:52 PM

I stand appropriately corrected. I did not realize Cody averaged 26 minutes and assumed PT was the issue. So, then, what recruiting promises were not delivered?

CDu
03-24-2016, 06:37 PM
This is crazy -- they have solid roles and are valuable members of the team. Hmmm...

My guess is that they saw the writing on the wall for next year. Rowan's role is likely to increase, and Henderson and Dorn are likely to bump both of them to the bench. As is, only one was starting anyway. But even that was likely to change next year.

I'd guess they'll go somewhere where both can start and star together.

Still, this just highlights the problems Gottfried is facing. He has done well on the transfer market, but he has not done well enough on the recruiting market. He's averaging like 1 or 2 useful players per class. That simply isn't enough, especially when the most useful ones are only sticking around for a year or two.

Olympic Fan
03-24-2016, 06:44 PM
The Martin twins aren't the end of it -- Abu just announced that he will test the NBA waters.

Will the last guy out of Raleigh please turn out the lights?

Jeffrey
03-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Abu just announced that he will test the NBA waters.

Doubt he will like the water temp.

JNort
03-24-2016, 08:41 PM
This makes 5 big time transfers for them. Ya gotta think something is going on behind the scenes that makes them want to leave. Playing time doesn't appear to be a problem as both would have gotten good minutes again next year. They already lost Tyler Lewis who would have been a huuge asset for them this year as another guy who can dribble and hit from outside. Also lost Purvis who also could have provided some scoring and not to mention Kyle Washington who I thought was gonna have a breakout year this season.

Also it seems like if these guys get even a hint that the nba might want them they bolt. Cat, Abu, Lacey, CJ, Lorenzo all could have benefited from staying. TJ Warren is the only one to have seemed to have made the right decision

*Abu can still return btw. He's just testing the waters

Doria
03-24-2016, 08:52 PM
This makes 5 big time transfers for them. Ya gotta think something is going on behind the scenes that makes them want to leave. Playing time doesn't appear to be a problem as both would have gotten good minutes again next year. They already lost Tyler Lewis who would have been a huuge asset for them this year as another guy who can dribble and hit from outside. Also lost Purvis who also could have provided some scoring and not to mention Kyle Washington who I thought was gonna have a breakout year this season.

Also it seems like if these guys get even a hint that the nba might want them they bolt. Cat, Abu, Lacey, CJ, Lorenzo all could have benefited from staying. TJ Warren is the only one to have seemed to have made the right decision

*Abu can still return btw. He's just testing the waters

They aren't all big time, but they join the list of: Painter, Harris, Raymond, Purvis, Lewis, Washington.

I believe I read that Painter had some family issues, which probably affected his decision, so maybe that doesn't count, either. Also, they had another player who transferred, but he was a walk-on, so doesn't really affect the above list. But that is a lot of players to have leave, and I don't actually recall playing time being an issue for anyone but Washington. (Disclaimer: I am not an expert on State's teams, so I could be wrong about any or all of that.)

Yeah, Abu has said he won't hire an agent. I don't think it's a terrible idea for him to just see what's there, even if it's just to prep for next year.

And I also can't second guess Cat's decision, personally. He had a great year, and his biggest disadvantage--his size--isn't likely to improve between now and next year. If he's concerned about being able to provide for his child/family, playing overseas is probably a realistic goal.

Newton_14
03-24-2016, 09:00 PM
State fans right now: "I like Gott but..."

Yeah,, but... sometimes it ain't the Coach or the assistants or the Program, and it's actually, "gasp"... on the kids. I think we sometimes take the players side too often, making excuses for them such as "Well, they should do whats best for them", "Just wasn't a good fit so they should go where they will be happy"... etc. The reality is sometimes these kids make terrible decisions in transferring, when they should have stuck it out, and in a lot of cases been better off for it. There have been several players admit they almost made a terrible decision and transferred, but stayed and were thanking God daily they didn't leave. Nolan Smith anyone?

This feels like one of those cases. Reading between the lines thru Gott's quote, I took it to mean Cody is unhappy with his PT and role, and when one twin isn't happy, neither are, so guess what Coach, Caleb is coming with me, even though he was second on the team in minutes. That's my take on what went down.

Sometimes it is the right thing for a kid to transfer, but many times it isn't. Without knowing the full details, this feels like the latter to me.

Troublemaker
03-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Martins shouldn't be too big a loss.

NCSU very likely has an NCAA tourney team next season if they don't lose anyone else (e.g Abu tests and returns) and can add some depth.

PG - Fr Smith
SG - So Dorn (or Jr Henderson)
SF - So Rowan
PF - Jr Abu
C - Sr Anya

Jr Henderson, Sr Freeman and So Kirk as depth.

norduck
03-24-2016, 09:16 PM

Harrick protege that couldn't deliver the goodies.

Olympic Fan
03-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Martins shouldn't be too big a loss.

NCSU very likely has an NCAA tourney team next season if they don't lose anyone else (e.g Abu tests and returns) and can add some depth.

PG - Fr Smith
SG - So Dorn (or Jr Henderson)
SF - So Rowan
PF - Jr Abu
C - Sr Anya

Jr Henderson, Sr Freeman and So Kirk as depth.

I totally disagree -- losing the Martins is HUGE.

State was in much the same situation as Duke this year (except they weren't as talented) -- they had six players, a crippled Freeman and a not-read-for-prime time Kirk. They essentially wasted Cat Barber's all-star junior year on a non-NIT team.

Okay, they lose at least three of the six useful players off last year's team. They add a very talented young point guard in Smith ... but will he be as good as a freshman as Barber was as a junior?

Dorn is a nice pickup and Henderson can play. Rowan is a nice player.

Abu's return is vital -- Anya is a nearly useless tub of lard and Freeman's knees are as bad as Sean Obi.

The Martin twins were both versatile, solid ACC players.

Without them (and Barber), State is in pretty much the same boat they were in last year. Smith replaces Barber at the point. Dorn and Henderson replace the Martin twins on the wings. Rowan plays the stretch four and Abu, if he's back (and that's not guaranteed) is in the middle. Anya remains a very limited sixth man and Freeman an even more limited seventh man. Kirk is the wild card -- he was useless as a freshman, but he's a good athlete ... can he improve enough to provide some help?

Either, it's not an especially deep or talented team ... UNLESS Gottfried can add some late talent. He's in it for a Turkish center (who has NBA talent, but some major eligibility question marks). Maybe he lands a grad transfer or two.

But State really needs bodies ... losing the Martin twins was a big, BIG blow IMO.

CDu
03-25-2016, 06:00 PM
I totally disagree -- losing the Martins is HUGE.

State was in much the same situation as Duke this year (except they weren't as talented) -- they had six players, a crippled Freeman and a not-read-for-prime time Kirk. They essentially wasted Cat Barber's all-star junior year on a non-NIT team.

Okay, they lose at least three of the six useful players off last year's team. They add a very talented young point guard in Smith ... but will he be as good as a freshman as Barber was as a junior?

Dorn is a nice pickup and Henderson can play. Rowan is a nice player.

Abu's return is vital -- Anya is a nearly useless tub of lard and Freeman's knees are as bad as Sean Obi.

The Martin twins were both versatile, solid ACC players.

Without them (and Barber), State is in pretty much the same boat they were in last year. Smith replaces Barber at the point. Dorn and Henderson replace the Martin twins on the wings. Rowan plays the stretch four and Abu, if he's back (and that's not guaranteed) is in the middle. Anya remains a very limited sixth man and Freeman an even more limited seventh man. Kirk is the wild card -- he was useless as a freshman, but he's a good athlete ... can he improve enough to provide some help?

Either, it's not an especially deep or talented team ... UNLESS Gottfried can add some late talent. He's in it for a Turkish center (who has NBA talent, but some major eligibility question marks). Maybe he lands a grad transfer or two.

But State really needs bodies ... losing the Martin twins was a big, BIG blow IMO.

Yeah, I totally agree. The twins weren't great, but they were capable bodies on a team short of capable bodies.