PDA

View Full Version : Went back and rewatched the 2001 semifinal v. UMD

Channing
03-24-2016, 01:28 PM
for some reason, I wanted to rewatch that game and, thanks to the internet, had no problem doing so. Two primary takeaways were:

1. It is unbelievable how good Shane was at defense. He was on a whole different level, and I'm not sure I have ever seen someone dominate on the defensive end as much as him.

2. Both that Duke team and that UMD team were supremely talented. It seemed clear to me that either of those teams would wipe the floor with any team remaining in the field.

cato
03-24-2016, 02:05 PM
for some reason, I wanted to rewatch that game and, thanks to the internet, had no problem doing so. Two primary takeaways were:

1. It is unbelievable how good Shane was at defense. He was on a whole different level, and I'm not sure I have ever seen someone dominate on the defensive end as much as him.

2. Both that Duke team and that UMD team were supremely talented. It seemed clear to me that either of those teams would wipe the floor with any team remaining in the field.

But Justise is the best Duke defender ever!*

I often think back to the 91/92 era as a high water mark that college ball will not reach again, but 2001 certainly deserves special mention. That Arizona team was also really good.

*You are my favorite player ever, Grant, but you are not living that one down. Justise did make that run possible with his D, but a senior Shane just had time in the system that cannot be replicated in one season.

wavedukefan70s
03-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Im watching reruns myself lol.i was watching duke and Kensucky. I got wound up and actually was yelling about Martinez standing out of bounds several times guarding the inbounding latner.i sat back and chuckled a while on that one.

devildeac
03-24-2016, 02:33 PM

And I'll bet we still got all the calls :rolleyes: .

(Or, as I think the actual billy pecker quote was closer to "Duke sure is getting a lot of the calls here" when the fouls were Duke 2 and terps 4. And yes, I still despise him. )

gus
03-24-2016, 02:51 PM

I started streaming it on my phone. The first few minutes reminds me just how much I disliked Billy Packer, especially that year.

gus
03-24-2016, 03:04 PM
*You are my favorite player ever, Grant, but you are not living that one down. Justise did make that run possible with his D, but a senior Shane just had time in the system that cannot be replicated in one season.

Cato already knows this story, but about a month after that I was at a charity event hosted by Shane Battier. I had the opportunity to talk to him, and was so focused on him it took me a little while to realize I literally stepped in between Shane and Billy King.

Later in the night, when Battier was off somewhere else, I went up to King to shake his hand and totally stole Cato's joke saying something to the effect of "it's an honor to get to meet the 2nd and 3rd best defenders in the Coach K era!"

King and Heidi Battier both got a laugh out of it.

rasputin
03-24-2016, 03:09 PM
And I'll bet we still got all the calls :rolleyes: .

(Or, as I think the actual billy pecker quote was closer to "Duke sure is getting a lot of the calls here" when the fouls were Duke 2 and terps 4. And yes, I still despise him. )

I think it was closer to "Duke is starting to get the calls here"

rsvman
03-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Billy Packer was terrible.

I still think one of the best things ever was when a Duke student denied him entry in Cameron for a game he was supposed to call.

Doria
03-24-2016, 03:49 PM

I still think one of the best things ever was when a Duke student denied him entry in Cameron for a game he was supposed to call.

Yeah, there are many analysts that when they're on a Duke game, I kind of groan about. But Billy Packer was just horrible. It was like someone was literally holding a gun to his head and threatening to pull the trigger if he said anything remotely balanced about Duke. (I think he may have hated the ACC in general, though I can't quite remember. I do know my mother used to also hate him when he was on State games, though.)

sagegrouse
03-24-2016, 04:04 PM
Yeah, there are many analysts that when they're on a Duke game, I kind of groan about. But Billy Packer was just horrible. It was like someone was literally holding a gun to his head and threatening to pull the trigger if he said anything remotely balanced about Duke. (I think he may have hated the ACC in general, though I can't quite remember. I do know my mother used to also hate him when he was on State games, though.)

Billy Packer was a pioneer. IIRC, he invented the role of network TV analyst and brought knowledge of the game to telecasts. Was he an outstanding network analyst? No! He has a prickly personality and blurted out things on the air that a better man would later regret. It's not clear that Billy regretted anything, except maybe the one comment that got him canned at CBS.

Here's the narrative at Wikipedia:

The second semifinal was a highly anticipated matchup between North Carolina Head Coach Roy Williams and the team he had coached for 15 years before leaving to go to UNC. The game itself could be divided up as if it were three different games. The Jayhawks took a 40-12 lead in the first 15 minutes, causing CBS analyst Billy Packer to declare that the game was over.
I believe this was the opening game of the semifinals doubleheader on CBS. At Packer's comment, I said to myself, "Oh my God!" Sure enough, three months later the network fired Packer and replaced him with Clark Kellogg.

Rich
03-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Billy Packer was a pioneer. IIRC, he invented the role of network TV analyst and brought knowledge of the game to telecasts. Was he an outstanding network analyst? No! He has a prickly personality and blurted out things on the air that a better man would later regret. It's not clear that Billy regretted anything, except maybe the one comment that got him canned at CBS.

Here's the narrative at Wikipedia:

I believe this was the opening game of the semifinals doubleheader on CBS. At Packer's comment, I said to myself, "Oh my God!" Sure enough, three months later the network fired Packer and replaced him with Clark Kellogg.

Who has now been replaced by Grant Hill.

Rich
03-24-2016, 04:27 PM

Too lazy to check Wiki, but I believe he went to Wake Forest so he couldn't have hated the entire ACC. The old story is that he wasn't recruited by Duke and that's why he hated us.

sagegrouse
03-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Too lazy to check Wiki, but I believe he went to Wake Forest so he couldn't have hated the entire ACC. The old story is that he wasn't recruited by Duke and that's why he hated us.

Billy Packer didn't "hate Duke" in the conventional sense. He was a pill, and it affected everything around him

freshmanjs
03-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Who has now been replaced by Grant Hill.

Kellogg was replaced by Greg Anthony, who was then replaced by Grant Hill .

weezie
03-24-2016, 05:19 PM
I don't think I've ever heard anything quite as loud as the heads of Duhon and Blake colliding during that semi. It was terrifying.

BandAlum83
03-24-2016, 06:45 PM
What I remember of the game was the flashbacks to 1990 UNLV, but also believing and never giving up hope!

duke4ever19
03-24-2016, 06:56 PM

Apparently Billy Packer isn't even that into sports . . . at least as a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_0xjkkuPr0