PDA

View Full Version : France Recommendations

pfrduke
03-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Denizens of DBR-

We are taking a family trip to France in April. A couple days in Normandy, a couple days in the Loire Valley, and 5 days in Paris. We have accommodations all lined up, but would welcome recommendations on activities, restaurants, etc. Bonus points for recommendations that are toddler friendly - we're traveling with our not-quite-two-year-old (getting in one last big trip before the airline rules mean that we have to buy him a separate ticket).

OldPhiKap
03-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Denizens of DBR-

We are taking a family trip to France in April. A couple days in Normandy, a couple days in the Loire Valley, and 5 days in Paris. We have accommodations all lined up, but would welcome recommendations on activities, restaurants, etc. Bonus points for recommendations that are toddler friendly - we're traveling with our not-quite-two-year-old (getting in one last big trip before the airline rules mean that we have to buy him a separate ticket).

Did that same trip with a two-year old (and again with a two- and five- year old).

Normandy: Bayeux tapestry is cool, and Bayeux is one of the few towns in Normandy that was not bombed too much. Neat little town, not a far drive from the American Cemetery. As for Normandy Beach and the American Cemetery, every American should go there if they can. Right on the bluff of Omaha Beach.

Loire: stayed in Saumur, a college town. Neat place. Planned to go to some chateaus but it just never happened.

Paris -- what can you say? I went totally expecting to hate it )or be non-plussed at best). Absolutely loved it. Visit the local parks with some bread, wine and cheese.

I'll pull out some notes and shoot them to you.

budwom
03-24-2016, 01:27 PM
You'll get a billion recommendations on Paris, just an amazing place.

I'll give you just one: if you like food, especially as food ought to be displayed and purchased, check out the (roughly four block long) Rue Mouffetard,
where you'll find amazing shops for a dazzling array of food items...bread shops, meat shops, fish, cheese, pastries, fruits and veggies, huge
rotisseries on the street with dozens of chickens on them (being stared at by salivating dogs)....it's a VERY old and very lively
neighborhood in the 5th arrondissement...closed all day Monday and part of Sunday........... mornings, like 10-12, is a great time to go...slow meandering, gawking
at and purchasing amazing food should be good for a youngun, too. We just love that place.

sagegrouse
03-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Been to France a bunch of times and am taking two of the grandchildren there this summer.

Here are my suggestions:

Go to Mont St-Michel. It is a unique place. I have been twice and would return again.

The Memorial de Caen is a museum of peace and war in Caen and is a fascinating place.

I found the town of Rouen, along the Seine and on the way to Paris, to be fascinating. It's where Jeanne d'Arc was burned at the stake -- the greatest public relations disaster in English history -- the French still remember almost 600 years later. It's also where Julia Child had her first meal in France circa 1947. Interesting cathedral and some good places to eat.

Giverny, where Monet lived and painted, is also on the way to Paris. His sizable home and studio is open, although the lily ponds are more interesting than the exhibits. If you really want to see Monet, go to the Orangerie off the Place de la Concorde.

Consider getting a guide for Notre Dame and the Roman excavations on the plaza there. The Ile de la Cite has been settled for 2,000 years. The premier place to visit is Ste. Chapelle, a perfect gem of a Gothic chapel that was consecrated in 1248 -- uhhh, a while ago.

I always use le Metro when I am in Paris and have never had any problems, except that some of the routes and stations are complicated.

You may want a guide for the Eiffel Tower -- ask at your hotel -- because a guide can get you to the front of the line, which is a real advantage. Our guide also showed us the basement below the tower, where all the cables and elevator mechanisms can be seen.

You can walk all over "old Paris" and cover a huge amount of ground in 45-60 minutes. This is a walking city, much like London and Manhattan.

The neighborhood restaurants tend to be clustered along side streets. For example, the Japanese restaurants near the Palais du Luxembourg. This is especially tru in neighborheeds in the 1st and 2nd district (arrondissement).

Sacre Couer and Montmartre are up in the heights --there is a funicular -- visits should be combined, although this is a touristy area these days.

Anyway, bon voyage!

Mike Corey
03-24-2016, 09:52 PM
You'll get much better recs from everyone else, but in Paris, I'd strongly encourage you not to skip Sainte Chapelle, or Musee l'orangerie.

duke74
03-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Picasso Museum

Le Marais district

Restaurant by Saint Germain des Pres - Le Petit Zinc www.petit-zinc.com Used to go there often...haven't been in a while

Walk, Walk, Walk...

budwom
03-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Picasso Museum

Le Marais district

Restaurant by Saint Germain des Pres - Le Petit Zinc www.petit-zinc.com Used to go there often...haven't been in a while

Walk, Walk, Walk...

yup, Paris is just a remarkable walking city. (Also put SF up there for best walking, world class cities).

Bostondevil
03-25-2016, 09:12 AM
For kids? The Musee de l'Armee next to Les Invalides and Napoleon's Tomb. All the armor and battle axes you could ever want to see.

You probably don't have time to get to St. Malo - Pirate Capital of France but if you do, I think it's worth it. (It's in Brittany, not Normandy.)

Chateau Gaillard - a pile of rocks out in the middle of nowhere (but still Normandy) - built by Richard the Lionheart. It isn't really just a pile of rocks, the inner bailey is still very recognizable as a castle. It's a bit of a hike to get up to it, the toddler will need to be carried at least part way. But once you're there, the kids can run around on the grounds. It's one of those places that can make you feel the history.

rasputin
03-25-2016, 12:45 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the Picasso museum; it was a highlight in a week full of highlights.

fidel
03-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Paris is a family favorite, all recommendations above right on.

St Chapelle extraordinary (to me) because of its age, proximity to Notre Dame, and the fact in spite of both its a hidden gem. You see a lot of architectural history as that church evolved.

Notre Dame and Roman ruins outside a can't miss for obvious reasons. Across the river, the Museum of Moyen Age is a wonderful tour of a building that has grown from its Roman Baths through, obviously, the middle ages. Many different era's are visible as the building expanded. Really nice.

Rodin Museum is a good half indoors/half outdoors museum.

Luxembourg Palace is a nice garden to walk through, and if a nice day fun for the kids to push boats across the fountain (depends on ages).

Don't be afraid of trying the pizza in Paris with the kids. Food is fresh and most often very high quality. Mouffetard a great call for a market street of all kinds of food. There is a great fromagerie on Rue de Grenelle near Rue du Bac (probably many, but I know this one). A small museum there as well (Maillot) for something off the beaten track (whats on display constantly changing).

fidel child really enjoyed d'Orsay and sitting upstairs drawing some of the art (she was 10 or so).

Too many places to go. Have fun.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Paris is a family favorite, all recommendations above right on.

St Chapelle extraordinary (to me) because of its age, proximity to Notre Dame, and the fact in spite of both its a hidden gem. You see a lot of architectural history as that church evolved.

Notre Dame and Roman ruins outside a can't miss for obvious reasons. Across the river, the Museum of Moyen Age is a wonderful tour of a building that has grown from its Roman Baths through, obviously, the middle ages. Many different era's are visible as the building expanded. Really nice.

Rodin Museum is a good half indoors/half outdoors museum.

Luxembourg Palace is a nice garden to walk through, and if a nice day fun for the kids to push boats across the fountain (depends on ages).

Don't be afraid of trying the pizza in Paris with the kids. Food is fresh and most often very high quality. Mouffetard a great call for a market street of all kinds of food. There is a great fromagerie on Rue de Grenelle near Rue du Bac (probably many, but I know this one). A small museum there as well (Maillot) for something off the beaten track (whats on display constantly changing).

fidel child really enjoyed d'Orsay and sitting upstairs drawing some of the art (she was 10 or so).

Too many places to go. Have fun.

We were at the Orsay with a kid in stroller, and the line usher pulled us out of a long line to put us in a quick entry with wheelchairs, etc. Check that. If you go there, take the elevator to the top floor first (best stuff up there) while everyone else files in the bottom and moves their way up.

When Mrs. OPK lay down for a nap with youngPKs, OPK would find a nice cafe to sip a Kir Royale or two on the street. Some of my favorite memories are just sitting at a streetside cafe in St. Germain-des-Pres or Odion on the Left Bank, chilling for an hour, drinking some wine or coffee with a nice appetizer or two, watching the world go by.

So, take time to sit and savor.

budwom
03-25-2016, 02:59 PM
^ indeed, some of the best meals we've had there (and great meals abound) have been at cafes we just happen upon at lunch, and
order the daily special.....usually well balanced, beautifully prepared, and at a shockingly reasonable price. Plus you get to look at a
lot of people's dogs curled up under the tables.

aimo
03-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Spent fall of my junior year in France and did a lot of traveling.

First rule of traveling in France, stop at EVERY patisserie you see. Totally worth it, and you'll be burning off those calories with all the walking.

Do see Giverny and Omaha Beach. Mont St Michel was very touristy/cheesy inside - beware.

In Loire Valley, Rouen was a good, central place to stay. My favorite chateaus to visit were Chambord and Chenonceau. The double helix staircase in Chambord was very cool.

In Paris there are so many museums to see, but they can really eat up your time, so choose wisely. Musee D'Orsay if you love Impressionism. Also Picasso and Rodin. The Louvre is of course insanely awesome, but it takes FOREVER to see just a few things, and trying to find those few things on your list is time-consuming b/c it is so spread out and complicated to navigate. We wasted half a morning trying to find Venus de Milo, and never found her. In the process of getting lost, we happened upon Hammurabi's Code, which was kind of cool. Basically, set your priorities and maybe consider the Louvre for a later trip when you have bigger kids and more time.

Definitely see the Eiffel Tower. I suggest going to the top at night when the city is all lit and the smog isn't hazing your view.

Montmartre is kind of neat, very artsy. Notre Dame will be packed, but you still have to see it.

Eat cheaply at the cafes - it's where the locals eat and it's good food.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Spent fall of my junior year in France and did a lot of traveling.

First rule of traveling in France, stop at EVERY patisserie you see. Totally worth it, and you'll be burning off those calories with all the walking.

Do see Giverny and Omaha Beach. Mont St Michel was very touristy/cheesy inside - beware.

In Loire Valley, Rouen was a good, central place to stay. My favorite chateaus to visit were Chambord and Chenonceau. The double helix staircase in Chambord was very cool.

In Paris there are so many museums to see, but they can really eat up your time, so choose wisely. Musee D'Orsay if you love Impressionism. Also Picasso and Rodin. The Louvre is of course insanely awesome, but it takes FOREVER to see just a few things, and trying to find those few things on your list is time-consuming b/c it is so spread out and complicated to navigate. We wasted half a morning trying to find Venus de Milo, and never found her. In the process of getting lost, we happened upon Hammurabi's Code, which was kind of cool. Basically, set your priorities and maybe consider the Louvre for a later trip when you have bigger kids and more time.

Definitely see the Eiffel Tower. I suggest going to the top at night when the city is all lit and the smog isn't hazing your view.

Montmartre is kind of neat, very artsy. Notre Dame will be packed, but you still have to see it.

Eat cheaply at the cafes - it's where the locals eat and it's good food.

Went twice with kids, saw lots of museums but not the Louvre for the same reasons.

They light up the Eiffel Tower with a show every hour after dark -- take a picnic and get a spot on Mars Field (Champ-de-Mars). Like a firework show for kids without the loud booms.

Bostondevil
03-25-2016, 10:41 PM
The best time to go see Notre Dame is at 9am on a rainy morning. Seriously, I did that once, there was no line. As in, I gingerly opened the door because I thought maybe it was a special occasion and tourists weren't allowed in. Nope, I was just one of the first ones there.

duke74
03-25-2016, 11:30 PM

I recall in my times there that there is essentially a "greatest hits" tour that takes you to the most popular pieces. If it still exists perhaps that's the answer to this issue.

fidel
03-26-2016, 09:17 AM
I recall in my times there that there is essentially a "greatest hits" tour that takes you to the most popular pieces. If it still exists perhaps that's the answer to this issue.

If you do the Louvre, skip the Mona Lisa. Crowds are insane for an incredibly small painting. 'The eyes follow you' is indiscernible in a crowd of 500 (you can't move).

duke74
03-26-2016, 09:28 AM
If you do the Louvre, skip the Mona Lisa. Crowds are insane for an incredibly small painting. 'The eyes follow you' is indiscernible in a crowd of 500 (you can't move).

See your point, but...if you are there for the first (and perhaps only) time, how can you not view it? Crowds are large (as they should be), but in my experience the flow is constant and there is constant movement other than with the small number of art students and the like who linger.

I've been fortunate to have visited reasonably often and I view the ML every time...perhaps as I am a creature of habit and feel that if I am there I have to see it again. (I do prefer d'Orsay, as Impressionists are my thing. http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/)

budwom
03-26-2016, 09:35 AM
See your point, but...if you are there for the first (and perhaps only) time, how can you not view it? Crowds are large (as they should be), but in my experience the flow is constant and there is constant movement other than with the small number of art students and the like who linger.

I've been fortunate to have visited reasonably often and I view the ML every time...perhaps as I am a creature of habit and feel that if I am there I have to see it again. (I do prefer d'Orsay, as Impressionists are my thing. http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/)

For a variety of reasons, we went to Paris three Februarys in a row, and the lines at all the museums were nearly nonexistent....at one of the museums (L'Orangerie?) there
was not a single person on line to get in, and when we got there we therefore couldn't figure out where the entrance was. Nice problem.

fidel
03-26-2016, 10:04 AM

I get it, its iconic. I have seen it many times myself. But my eyes roll when I see people hustling for position for the selfie in front of it.

There is a museum full of priceless antiquities to see. Probably better stated...don't fight unreasonable lines. I like the guide idea. The museum is massive, and you can tire quickly before you see things that matter to you.

OldPhiKap
03-26-2016, 10:34 AM

As PopPk always says == you gotta leave something for next time. You throw that coin in the Trevi Fountain for a reason.

[okay, different trip, but the point remains]

duke74
03-26-2016, 01:28 PM
I get it, its iconic. I have seen it many times myself. But my eyes roll when I see people hustling for position for the selfie in front of it.

Dating myself and the last time I visited, but it was pre-selfies. 😏

duke74
03-26-2016, 01:32 PM
As PopPk always says == you gotta leave something for next time. You throw that coin in the Trevi Fountain for a reason.

[okay, different trip, but the point remains]

Understood, but without being overly pessimistic, you never know when and if there will be a next time. (Belgium took a psychic toll on me this week...sorry). Carpe diem.

throatybeard
03-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Since it's spring, I'm teaching History of the English Language again. The French have been living rent-free in our heads for 950 years, and I see no change in sight.

Olympic Fan
03-27-2016, 01:33 AM
This thread reminds me of a great book I read last month -- David McCullough's A Greater Journey.

It's basically a history of the American experience in Paris in the Nineteenth Century (basically 1830 to 1890). It does a great job of evoking the magical hold Paris has had on the American mind -- not just artists and writers, but I hadn't realized the impact French medical education had on the early development of American medicine.

I was especially taken by the story of Samuel Morse, the inventor of the telegraph, who spent a little less than a decade in Paris as a painter. His Gallery of the Louvre was one of the most influencial American paintings of the century and introduced the glories of the great museum to a generation of Americans. Interesting to see what a sensation James Fenimore Cooper was, writing his frontier novels from a Parisian apartment.

Some of the great anti-slavery advocates were inspired and instructed by what the learned in Paris ... Charles Sumner and Harriett Beecher Stowe to name two.

I was especially taken by some of the artists who worked in Paris late in the century -- such as John Singer Sargent, Mary Cassatt and my favorite, the sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens.

And of course this doesn't even touch the 20th century connection -- Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Stein, Pound, Barnes, Nin ... the whole "Lost Generation."

There is so much of Paris I'd love to explore ... I envy you your trip.

aimo
03-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Forgot one thing . . . take an evening ride on a bateau mouche down the Seine. Everything is lit up, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Les Invalides. Really neat.

budwom
03-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Forgot one thing . . . take an evening ride on a bateau mouche down the Seine. Everything is lit up, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Les Invalides. Really neat.

That is really true, though my trip was marred by a five year old child (not mine) who insisted on running his snot covered fingers thru my hair. This I shall not forget, nor the
long hot shower that ensued.

aimo
03-27-2016, 04:27 PM
That is really true, though my trip was marred by a five year old child (not mine) who insisted on running his snot covered fingers thru my hair. This I shall not forget, nor the
long hot shower that ensued.

Gross!!! Fortunately, on our trip, there were only a few of us on the boat, and we were able to move from side to side to get better looks. No snot mousse included.

sagegrouse
03-27-2016, 05:42 PM

Seriously, binoculars are valuable, not only in viewing the Mona Lisa but at Notre Dame and elsewhere in the Louvre where optical magnification is necessary to view architectural detail.

pfrduke
03-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Mont St Michel was very touristy/cheesy inside - beware.

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful advice. Can you elaborate a little on this in particular? We are planning to go to Mont St. Michel but I had already been on the fence about it because it will be a healthy way out of our way to get there - a couple extra hours of driving. So if it's just sort of a tourist trap (even for as impressive a visual spectacle as it is), that may weigh against making the visit.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2016, 09:00 PM
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful advice. Can you elaborate a little on this in particular? We are planning to go to Mont St. Michel but I had already been on the fence about it because it will be a healthy way out of our way to get there - a couple extra hours of driving. So if it's just sort of a tourist trap (even for as impressive a visual spectacle as it is), that may weigh against making the visit.

FWIW it sounds like you are doing what we planned when we went -- rent a car and drive from Paris to Normandy (Bayeux for us); stay a night, see the Normandy Beaches and hit Mont St. MIchele on way to Loire Valley (Saumur for us) then stay there. MSM in Brittany is out of the way. Turns out Mrs OPK I got a headache so we skipped the drive out to MSM. In retrospect, it would have been a bit much with our two-year old.

Would still love to see it, but frankly had forgotten about MSM until reading this thread. If you want old churches and castles, you'll see plenty whether you go or not.

aimo
03-31-2016, 01:43 PM

From a distance, it looks really cool. And driving up to it might be a good idea, if you decide it's worth it. And the rocks and beaches around it were fun. Some of my friends wrote their names in the sand, then climbed up to the abbey to take pictures of it from way up high. BUT, when we got inside (and realize that this was Fall of 1990) it was full of cheap souvenir stands and overpriced restaurants. We did the abbey tour at the top, which is a haul, maybe too much with a toddler.

If it's the only reason you're driving an extra two hours, I would say skip it and spend more time at the American cemetery at Omaha Beach and Giverny.

From Rick Steves: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/mont-st-michel

a quote from the show: "Though a dreamscape from a distance, through the midday Mont St-Michel becomes grotesquely touristic. In summer Mont St-Michel's main street, lined with shops and hotels leading to the abbey, can be a human traffic jam. It's some consolation to remember that, even in the Middle Ages, this was a commercial gauntlet, with stalls selling souvenir medallions, candles, and fast food. Today, the village's 30 full-time residents continue to live solely for its visitors."

aimo
03-31-2016, 02:04 PM
If you can be at Omaha Beach at dusk/closing, do so. They play Taps. Incredibly moving.

Please give us feedback when you return!

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 02:10 PM
If you can be at Omaha Beach at dusk/closing, do so. They play Taps. Incredibly moving.

Please give us feedback when you return!

If you are active or retired military, they may let you lower the flag as well. One of my partners was able to do this about 15 years ago.

I think I said this upthread but it bears repeating -- every American who gets the chance to see the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach (Colleville-sur-Mer) should do so. Then take the winding road down to the beach, and look up at what those soldiers had to traverse to get off the beach (if they ever did).

Very moving.

pfrduke
03-31-2016, 03:12 PM

I think I said this upthread but it bears repeating -- every American who gets the chance to see the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach (Colleville-sur-Mer) should do so. Then take the winding road down to the beach, and look up at what those soldiers had to traverse to get off the beach (if they ever did).

Very moving.

Yeah, the D-Day beaches are a must stop for us on this trip. Thanks for the note about playing Taps at closing - that's worth planning around.

gotoguy
03-31-2016, 04:54 PM
While in Paris you might consider a guided tour. We were there in early January and at the recommendation of friends who own an apartment there booked a tour through Localers. They have neighborhood and museum tours day and night. We toured the Marais neighborhood (right bank) with our excellent guide Corey who I would highly recommend. A New Yorker, he married a Parisian and has been in Paris for 5 years. He is well versed in local history of that neighborhood and also a good reference for local coffee shops and restaurants.

If visiting the Louvre for the first time a guide is essential in that overwhelming place. IMHO

When visiting Nortre Dame walk around back and cross over to Ile Saint Louis up the main street to Berthillon Ice Cream shop for an amazing treat. Lots of fun shops along the way in a less hectic locale.

The travel guides by Rick Steves on Paris and France are also very useful when planning your trip.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 04:59 PM
The travel guides by Rick Steves on Paris and France are also very useful when planning your trip.

And the TripAdvisor App on your phone is your friend. (Agree on Rick Steves too)

sagegrouse
03-31-2016, 07:00 PM

No, no, no, no, no! While a heavily visited site, it is a fascinating place and not a "tourist trap." I did not find the shops and restaurants to be a problem, but you have to scale the mount to where the religious structures are built. In fact, there is a back route on the left hand side IIRC that bypasses the restaurants and tourist shops. There is a cascading series of chapels, a monastery, cloister and refectory -- all built in the 1400's and earlier. Wars and sieges have caused some parts to be rebuilt.

It is worth a trip and the drive out the causeway in the approach to MSM yields wonderful views itself. The sea has moved in over the centuries and you get a great view of the tidal flats (and the 40-foot tides that exist there).

Another place in Normandy worth a visit as a tourist with children is Mere-Ste.-Eglise, where an American paratrooper was caught by a church spire. The locals, of course, keep a parachute on the spire. The interesting thing in the town is the Airborne Museum created, I believe, by the U.S. 82nd and 101st divisions. The museum has original equipment from the Normandy invasion and you can actually touch the exhibits and play with the artillery pieces. You will be convinced that, no, you did want to come over to Normandy in one of those canvas and plywood gliders.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 07:20 PM
No, no, no, no, no! While a heavily visited site, it is a fascinating place and not a "tourist trap." I did not find the shops and restaurants to be a problem, but you have to scale the mount to where the religious structures are built. In fact, there is a back route on the left hand side IIRC that bypasses the restaurants and tourist shops. There is a cascading series of chapels, a monastery, cloister and refectory -- all built in the 1400's and earlier. Wars and sieges have caused some parts to be rebuilt.

It is worth a trip and the drive out the causeway in the approach to MSM yields wonderful views itself. The sea has moved in over the centuries and you get a great view of the tidal flats (and the 40-foot tides that exist there).

Another place in Normandy worth a visit as a tourist with children is Mere-Ste.-Eglise, where an American paratrooper was caught by a church spire. The locals, of course, keep a parachute on the spire. The interesting thing in the town is the Airborne Museum created, I believe, by the U.S. 82nd and 101st divisions. The museum has original equipment from the Normandy invasion and you can actually touch the exhibits and play with the artillery pieces. You will be convinced that, no, you did want to come over to Normandy in one of those canvas and plywood gliders.

Was it Red Skelton?

sagegrouse
03-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Was it Red Skelton?

The American paratrooper was John Steele, who played possum until he was rescued.

The town is near D'Isigny, which is supposedly the ancestral home of the Walt Disney family.

I have visited Brehal and Grandville on a few occasions and the picturesque towns are a treat -- not to mention the "towers of seafood" served there.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2016, 09:01 PM
The American paratrooper was John Steele, who played possum until he was rescued.

The town is near D'Isigny, which is supposedly the ancestral home of the Walt Disney family.

I have visited Brehal and Grandville on a few occasions and the picturesque towns are a treat -- not to mention the "towers of seafood" served there.

Sorry, bad The Longest Day reference. Appreciate the info.

Bostondevil
04-03-2016, 08:41 AM
Comment on Mont St. Michel - you can no longer drive out on the causeway. The parking lot at the base of MSM was closed in 2012. They have a nice new parking lot about a mile away. You park there and can either walk or take a shuttle to MSM itself. I was there as a chaperone with middle schoolers in 2011 and it was a harrowing experience. There was no way to move through the streets other than in single file. Even with only 4 kids in my charge, keeping an eye on all of them in that crowd was impossible. In the summer (I don't know if it is different at other times of the year), the narrow streets are jammed, shoulder to shoulder and front to back. If you hate crowds or are even slightly claustrophobic, you will not enjoy yourself there. The tour of the monastery was not quite so crowded but waiting to get in was a hot mess of confusion. I went back in 2012 with my oldest son. We took pictures from the (new) parking lot of the monastery and skipped actually visiting the town. You're bringing a toddler, correct? If you're going in high tourist season (June and July), I really do not recommend going into the town, a toddler could so easily get lost in that crowd and I don't think they will let you bring a stroller. Could be wrong on that but to get up to the town you have to walk up a fairly steep staircase, so even if they do let you take a stroller, you'd have to carry it and the toddler up it first. (It's not a short staircase either.)