PDA

View Full Version : A moment of appreciation

Kfanarmy
03-21-2016, 04:30 PM
With the ups and downs of this season, this version of Duke BB has proven capable of beating or being beaten by a wide range of opponents. They've shown guts and guile, youth and frustration. It has been a really interesting season thus far. Coming into the tournament, I really had no clue how they would do. So far so good. The highs and lows of the tourney are amazing to watch displayed on the faces of college kids as they step off the court, many for the last time. Last season was amazing as we watched Jahlil, Justise, Quinn, and Tyus win it all and walk away. In a weird way, however, I've found this season more intriguing...The adversity this group has gone through really has pulled me in. Every one of them should be proud of the effort they've put in and what they've accomplished.

I'm in complete anticipation for the next game and for that feeling alone-- somehow euphoria and trepidation all rolled into one big ball of excitement-- I thank them, each and every one.

duke74
03-21-2016, 05:01 PM
With the ups and downs of this season, this version of Duke BB has proven capable of beating or being beaten by a wide range of opponents. They've shown guts and guile, youth and frustration. It has been a really interesting season thus far. Coming into the tournament, I really had no clue how they would do. So far so good. The highs and lows of the tourney are amazing to watch displayed on the faces of college kids as they step off the court, many for the last time. Last season was amazing as we watched Jahlil, Justise, Quinn, and Tyus win it all and walk away. In a weird way, however, I've found this season more intriguing...The adversity this group has gone through really has pulled me in. Every one of them should be proud of the effort they've put in and what they've accomplished.

I'm in complete anticipation for the next game and for that feeling alone-- somehow euphoria and trepidation all rolled into one big ball of excitement-- I thank them, each and every one.

Well put...a bipolar season for me as well. I am thrilled we're in the S16. I didn't expect this over the past few weeks/months. I feel like we are playing with "house money" now and although I would love to see us go further - 8...4...2...1 - I am enjoying this while I can.

SoCalDukeFan
03-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Agree completely. Great team to support. Great coaching job. Great season.

SoCal

MarkD83
03-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Completely agree with everything in this thread. Nothing has come easy for this team. However, they have the toughness that you love to see in a team and 25 times this year have found ways to win. There are a few games I wish they could have pulled out but the losses were never due to lack of effort or desire to win.

Thank you coaches and players. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished and what the heck go win a few more just for fun.

wsb3
03-21-2016, 07:51 PM
Hearing Coach K say that at one point he questioned whether they could make the tourney makes me feel a little better for having those same concerns.

I think this is a remarkable team, remarkable season, & regardless of what happens Thursday night..

Thank you.. Go Duke

Newton_14
03-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Great post. Thanks for the thread. It's been a very unique year, and we have been blessed to have gone with them on this journey they are in. The end is coming soon no matter if they win out or not so that makes me sad for sure. They are so fun to watch despite the frustrations they put us through. But hey, after watching UNI lose a 12 point lead with 44 seconds left in a game, I feel less bad about Yale cutting our 27 point lead down to 3 over the course of about 12 minutes or so...

Things that standout for me:
- Watching a Soph who averaged, what, 5 mpg or so as a Frosh, come out as a Soph and just dominate.
- Watching Brandon Ingram. He's our Kevin Durant. The length, the shot, but for me, his best attribute is his Cerebral"ness". The kid knows the games nuances, and is very smart. Fun to watch.
- MP3. Our rock. Everyone who saw this coming raise your hand? Outstanding year. Just outstanding. Should have at least made Honorable Mention All ACC if not 3rd Team.
- Going 3-1 in the toughest part of the schedule and were it not for dumb refs and running out of gas, they go 4-0
- Trip gate- Seriously? We talkin bout trippin man?? Not the game, not the game, but trippin man? Not an elbow to the head, or clothesline, punchin a dude, or taking a dudes legs out, we talkin bout trippin man? (And please don't hijack this thread rehashing that argument. Just enjoy the humor and let it go)
- Good Luke/Bad Luke! Good luck preparing for this kid, cause he might hang 30 on you or not score at all. Defend that! (His corner 3 at UNcheat stands out for me though. Huge shot. Dagger shot)
- uncheat Rd 2. Yeah we lost but anybody else ever seen a game where we were outrebounded by 35 yet had a chance to win in the final minutes?

There are lots of other things and moments this group gave us but those are things that standout for me just off the top of my head. Im sure I missed a few big items...

If they make the Final Four it will just add to the thrill and madness of this season!

moonpie23
03-21-2016, 09:20 PM
absolutely......hearing coach k talk about "here we are in the sweet 16" with that big smile on his face says volumes.

GO DUKE

tfk53
03-21-2016, 11:04 PM
This season, I have actually been able to get to sleep reasonably well after a loss compared to other years where I have tossed and turned till my wife yells at me. Why is that? I think it is because this team pushes themselves and gives that 110% almost all the time. True, there are mistakes and misplays. But rarely I have I seen any give up or slack off this year. They are giving everything they got - some games it wasn't enough but it has pulled them into the Sweet 16. What more can a fan ask of their team but to leave it all on the court? Gotta love these guys!

Mike Corey
03-22-2016, 09:26 AM
This season, I have actually been able to get to sleep reasonably well after a loss compared to other years where I have tossed and turned till my wife yells at me. Why is that? I think it is because this team pushes themselves and gives that 110% almost all the time. True, there are mistakes and misplays. But rarely I have I seen any give up or slack off this year. They are giving everything they got - some games it wasn't enough but it has pulled them into the Sweet 16. What more can a fan ask of their team but to leave it all on the court? Gotta love these guys!

Very much agreed with this, and the overall sentiment in this thread.

We're in the winter of Coach K's incredible tenure, and his off seasons result in incredibly fun and engaging teams like this.

One of the best things about being a devoted fan to a program is that seasons past inform how much you appreciate teh team in front of you. The tougher seasons, generally, make it easier to appreciate the championship ones. I'm not sure that's been the case this season. I've never felt like this team was an underperformer--quite the opposite. Working their collective butts off, through exhaustion, and delivering one of the most improbable wins over UNC in the history of the series.

And they're not done yet. Not by a long shot.

I've said it before, and reiterate it again: Let's keep savoring every game in which we get to see Coach K go to work. We get to see teams grow from November to March every year, but I'd offer that this team has improved more than most.

Skitzle
03-22-2016, 09:43 AM

We're in the winter of Coach K's incredible tenure, and his off seasons result in incredibly fun and engaging teams like this.

One of the best things about being a devoted fan to a program is that seasons past inform how much you appreciate teh team in front of you. The tougher seasons, generally, make it easier to appreciate the championship ones. I'm not sure that's been the case this season. I've never felt like this team was an underperformer--quite the opposite. Working their collective butts off, through exhaustion, and delivering one of the most improbable wins over UNC in the history of the series.

I've said it before, and reiterate it again: Let's keep savoring every game in which we get to see Coach K go to work. We get to see teams grow from November to March every year, but I'd offer that this team has improved more than most.

Yup. Thrilled by this teams progress. Sweet 16 is a heck of an accomplishment for this club.

A Duke team is now playing with house money and nothing to lose. Ask UNC how it feels to play a loose Duke team. They did so on February 17, 2016.

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2016, 11:08 AM
I have to admit that I'm surprised Duke is in the S16. I expected a second round exit by the hands of Baylor. I like this team - and I really like Grayson and Ingram (not because of the talent, but because of what they've accomplished) and hope to fall in love with outta-control-Thornton and, as Newton 14 put it, Good Kennard/Bad Kennard.

It's been a weird season, with some bad losses and some great wins (Carolina-Duke round 1 was the best Carolina-Duke game I've ever seen). And Coach K has been difficult to read. Few "good team" references, plenty of late season line-up changes, Amile Jefferson and the Curse of the Fitted Boot... It's been a strange season.

Season isn't over, and I like our chances to win on Thursday, especially given that we're playing with house money. Also, this Duke team can beat anyone in the country but also can lose to anyone in the country.

Congrats to a really good and fun season. Now let's continue it.

MCFinARL
03-22-2016, 11:13 AM
I have to admit that I'm surprised Duke is in the S16. I expected a second round exit by the hands of Baylor. I like this team - and I really like Grayson and Ingram (not because of the talent, but because of what they've accomplished) and hope to fall in love with outta-control-Thornton and, as Newton 14 put it, Good Kennard/Bad Kennard.

It's been a weird season, with some bad losses and some great wins (Carolina-Duke round 1 was the best Carolina-Duke game I've ever seen). And Coach K has been difficult to read. Few "good team" references, plenty of late season line-up changes, Amile Jefferson and the Curse of the Fitted Boot... It's been a strange season.

Season isn't over, and I like our chances to win on Thursday, especially given that we're playing with house money. Also, this Duke team can beat anyone in the country but also can lose to anyone in the country.

Not sure that is completely true--admittedly this team doesn't fall easily into Coach K's good team/great team categories, but he has often praised them for their fight, determination, and hard work, and I believe he has frequently said he likes the team a lot.

Saratoga2
03-22-2016, 11:33 AM
I like that this team has a chance to make the elite 8.

They will face a long trip to the West coast but should have had time to rest some and to get Matt's ankles further along the road to recovery.

The team has developed a backup to Marshall who is now serviceable in Jeter, so one of their glaring shortcomings is mitigated.

I like to think of Luke as encouraged or discouraged. The size and talent are there, he just needs to be encouraged and to stay positive.

We shoot well, play decent defense and we have a chance. Does anyone have the Las Vegas odds on the game?

Henderson
03-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have the Las Vegas odds on the game?

We're about a 3 point underdog in Vegas.

Win or lose, I like this team an awful lot. On top of all the stuff they work toward together, they're also furthering a culture that is worth furthering. My sense is they get that and are proud of it and driven by it.

mike88
03-22-2016, 12:01 PM

I am not sure we have had any "bad losses" - every team we lost to made, or would have made (Louisville), the NCAA tournament, except Clemson (#47 Ken Pom). Most were close, except for Pitt. I had thought the home losses to Notre Dame and Syracuse were bad, but they are both in the Sweet Sixteen, and have decent chances of making the Elite Eight. In hindsight, this team has had a great run!

The Gordog
03-22-2016, 12:47 PM

Umm, winter? I would say it's more like Veterans Day, and when we win it all next year it will be Thanksgiving!

Seriously though, I love this thread and agree with the sentiment. As the years go by I am more and more stunned by how fortunate we have been to have K as our Captain. This year has been one of the most fun. Kind of like 2011 or 2013 for what-could-have-been thoughts around injuries, but we have 3 months now and I hope everyone has made their peace with it.

NYBri
03-22-2016, 02:47 PM
All This.

AND we are still playing. Just four more wins. First one on Thursday.

DukeDevilDeb
03-22-2016, 08:58 PM
I am on the faculty here at Duke and have been for 30 years. I started just after we lost in the 1986 National Championship game and thought that the likelihood I would ever see Duke there again was slim to none.

Where else in the world could I have witnessed multiple ACC regular season and tournament championships? 12 trips to the Final Four?

And 5 National Championship wins?

Absolutely nowhere but Duke.

Thanks to the master magician Coach K who always seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat and bring joy to players and fans.

Thanks to his assistant coaches over all the years. Every one of you has been magnificent, and I am a better person having watched you learn from Coach K.

Thanks to the players who have surprised and shocked and stunned me with brilliant play at times I thought it would never happen, especially this year's team. Some I have known really well; others I have seen only on the court. All have been special.

And thanks to everyone on this board who has taught me more about basketball and Duke than I ever thought I'd know.

5 National Championships. AMAZING!

Newton_14
03-22-2016, 09:35 PM
I am on the faculty here at Duke and have been for 30 years. I started just after we lost in the 1986 National Championship game and thought that the likelihood I would ever see Duke there again was slim to none.

Where else in the world could I have witnessed multiple ACC regular season and tournament championships? 12 trips to the Final Four?

And 5 National Championship wins?

Absolutely nowhere but Duke.

Thanks to the master magician Coach K who always seems to pull a rabbit out of a hat and bring joy to players and fans.

Thanks to his assistant coaches over all the years. Every one of you has been magnificent, and I am a better person having watched you learn from Coach K.

Thanks to the players who have surprised and shocked and stunned me with brilliant play at times I thought it would never happen, especially this year's team. Some I have known really well; others I have seen only on the court. All have been special.

And thanks to everyone on this board who has taught me more about basketball and Duke than I ever thought I'd know.

5 National Championships. AMAZING!
I'm glad you mentioned the part I bolded. I remember that "day after" very well. I went into work and a guy on my team was a huge uncheat fan. He was yappin it up and said that Duke had just blown their only chance to ever win a National Championship. "I hope you enjoyed it because you will never see them back in a National Title game or even a Final Four again".... yeah about that...