PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Plumlee on Dan Patrick

75Crazie
03-21-2016, 11:04 AM
I heard the interview with Marshall this morning, and something came up that I had not heard previously ... maybe it has been discussed here and I missed it, if so feel free to delete this thread. He stated that he was pursuing a career with the Army through the National Guard or Army Reserves, which allows him to have a civilian job, and that he wanted to pursue a career with the NBA. I'm not sure how that will work, but he wants to leave his options open to pursue both (military and pro ball). Is that just news to me?

Ggallagher
03-21-2016, 11:11 AM
I heard it mentioned during a game a few weeks ago - which was the first time I was aware that he was considering options outside the Army.

elvis14
03-21-2016, 11:32 AM
I also heard this recently. I think a lot of people have been very impressed with the amazing improvement MP3 has made this season. Perhaps his plans have changed because he may have opportunities in basketball that he didn't expect a year ago. I hope he can make an NBA roster.

sagegrouse
03-21-2016, 11:48 AM
As far as I know, this has been the expectation the entire time, although reporters have sometimes leapt to conclusions. He would have minimal active duty -- I thought three months, but maybe a bit more -- and then would continue service as a reserve officer not on active duty. Now, reserve officers can be called individually for deployments and, also, their units could be activated. There is probably someone on the list more current than me on military personnel policy.

kAzE
03-21-2016, 11:53 AM
This has been Marshall's plan since he enrolled in the ROTC program. It's probably only getting media attention now because of his real emergence as a possible NBA player. But if you believed he was going to play in the NBA all along, this is old news. I thought at least a few teams would be interested in having him on the roster as a 7-footer with mobility and athleticism, but I didn't think he'd ever be capable of playing as well as he has since Amile went down. He's been the most important player on the team, hands down. Miles is a rotation player in the NBA, and Marshall is having an even better senior year than Miles did. I think he will play minutes in the NBA.

Dukehky
03-21-2016, 11:55 AM
As far as I know, this has been the expectation the entire time, although reporters have sometimes leapt to conclusions. He would have minimal active duty -- I thought three months, but maybe a bit more -- and then would continue service as a reserve officer not on active duty. Now, reserve officers can be called individually for deployments and, also, their units could be activated. There is probably someone on the list more current than me on military personnel policy.

He said this as soon as he joined ROTC. That he was passionate about the army and serving his country, but this option gave him the ability to pursue a professional basketball career.

At least the narrative being pushed here is a promising one, but Marshall was never going to go to officer's school then jet off to the 'Stan within the year to fight in a war. I always wondered why people left this part out, but apparently, it was just a misunderstanding or miscommunication between the media the fans.

There is a GoDuke Video that has him saying exactly that he was going to do army and basketball after school.

uh_no
03-21-2016, 12:59 PM
He said this as soon as he joined ROTC. That he was passionate about the army and serving his country, but this option gave him the ability to pursue a professional basketball career.

At least the narrative being pushed here is a promising one, but Marshall was never going to go to officer's school then jet off to the 'Stan within the year to fight in a war. I always wondered why people left this part out, but apparently, it was just a misunderstanding or miscommunication between the media the fans.

There is a GoDuke Video that has him saying exactly that he was going to do army and basketball after school.

He had to get a height exception to join up anyway. I'd imagine deployment of someone his size would have some major headaches.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2016, 01:19 PM
They have been playing this over and over on an ESPN radio promo in my region for the last few weeks.

duke blue brewcrew
03-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Agreed. Lt. MP3 clarified assumptions not long after the original news was released. I've heard during multiple games commentators making incorrect assumptions, then later clarifying and apologizing for these. MP3 wants to go pro, and I think he has a chance to be an early second rounder IMHO.

FerryFor50
03-21-2016, 04:02 PM
He had to get a height exception to join up anyway. I'd imagine deployment of someone his size would have some major headaches.

Yea, they'd have to start making bigger tanks.

ipatent
03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
but an NBA career seems like a stretch unless (like Lance Thomas) he has offensive skills that the system hasn't allowed him to showcase. NBA big men need to have more in the repertoire than dunks.

MChambers
03-21-2016, 04:17 PM
but an NBA career seems like a stretch unless (like Lance Thomas) he has offensive skills that the system hasn't allowed him to showcase. NBA big men need to have more in the repertoire than dunks.

Marshall's already got the three point shot, unlike Lance. Look at that career percentage!

uh_no
03-21-2016, 04:25 PM
Yea, they'd have to start making bigger tanks.

the enemy, you mean? to deal with marshall?

Indoor66
03-21-2016, 04:34 PM

Really? What about Howard? He can't even make free throws.

kAzE
03-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Actually, NBA centers can do just fine with just dunking . . . DeAndre Jordan is a borderline All-Star with dunking as his only offensive skill.

Edouble
03-21-2016, 05:56 PM

Dunks can be enough.

Also, I don't think that Lance had those offensive skills (3PT shooting) at Duke. I think he worked his butt off after he left.

MarkD83
03-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Marshall's already got the three point shot, unlike Lance. Look at that career percentage!

Yes I see Marshall in the NBA having a career like JJ as the designated 3 point shooting guard. There is no way current NBA guards could block his 3-point shot.

Tom B.
03-22-2016, 12:20 PM
DeAndre Jordan is a borderline All-Star with dunking as his only offensive skill.

I dunno. I find the image of Jordan in a dress that keeps appearing on my TV to be pretty offensive.

DukeFanSince1990
03-22-2016, 03:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVm6Sy_JYU

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2016, 03:19 PM
the enemy, you mean? to deal with marshall?

How was this comment ignored? Priceless.