PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun - Can he possibly be removed

Lulu
10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
from the Hall of Fame???

Cameron
10-03-2007, 09:54 PM
He shouldn't be there to begin with. He should be in prison. He practically runs his own cartel up in Storrs.

However, with that said, I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is... What, did one of his players rob a pharmacy at gun point (and then be named captain the following afternoon at "Husky Day")?

juise
10-04-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is...

I believe the OP was referencing the current top story in the DBR headlines column.

Biscuit King
10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Did anyone else find it funny that Holy Cross, after Calhoun's power play, refused a trip to Oklahoma based on "academic considerations" but replaced the Coaches v Cancer date on its schedule with a trip to San Francisco?

pratt '04
10-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Did anyone else find it funny that Holy Cross, after Calhoun's power play, refused a trip to Oklahoma based on "academic considerations" but replaced the Coaches v Cancer date on its schedule with a trip to San Francisco?

The trip to Oklahoma would have been during the Coaches vs. Cancer regional rounds, November 5-9 (and right in the middle of the academic term). The game against the University of San Francisco is January 3rd... during Christmas break.

allenmurray
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM

No. Holy Cross is taking academics seriously (as they always have). They don't do long distance travel when classes are in session, but save those trips for during semester breaks. It seems you chosen to assume the worst about HC instead of assuming the best. They are a classy program - UConn is not.

elvis14
10-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I believe the OP was referencing the current top story in the DBR headlines column.

I have this forum in my links and almost never go directly to the front DBR page. There are lots of posts made that assume the front page has been read. I'm not saying that's wrong, just making an observation. If I start reading a thread and it seems like everyone knows something I don't, I'll go check the DBR.com.

Patrick Yates
10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Granted Calhoun is a complete D-Bag. But, his decision makes sense. HC only agreed to compete in the tourney when the ORGANIZERS promised a game at Storrs. Calhoun wasn't a party to this agreement.

I am sure that he wants no part of HC in Storrs. There is nothing for UCONN to gain, and everything to lose. For HC, it is the opposite. There is nothing to lose and every thing to gain.

UCONN should annhialate HC. But, the Huskies will be looking ahead, while HC will be playing as though it were their FF. HC wants to play a big game in a local area to maximize its recruiting profile. If they win, great, but if they keep it respectable, they come out as winners.

UCONN only gets a neutral outcome if they absolutely destroy HC (but they look like bullies who ran up the score on an overmatched squad). Plus, a loss to a low level local team would be horrible. Imagine Duke losing to NCCU, Davidson, Willimington at CIS. Sure, the teams are respectable, but Duke should handily win. It is only news when they lose.

Calhoun, who I hate, only sought to avoid a trap game against a local competitor. He never agreed to the HC game. That was the organizers deal, not Calhoun's.

You have to know, and I mean that anyone with 2 separate brain cells to rub together, HAS to know that Big Time Teams use their clout to big-time tournaments and lesser squads all the time. Now, we do not know that Duke does it, same with UNC, but it probably has happened at some point. Usually the lesser squad keeps its yap shut when it happens, for good reason.

Look, I feel for the HC boys and their academic concerns. But, a lot of teams would kill for a slot in a tourney like this, no matter where they had to travel to, especially a low level squad like HC. There are a ton of mid and low majors that want these slots, and they have to do whatever, wherever, when said slot opens up. Which it won't for HC after this for many years.

How many mid-majors and low-majors get to play near their home turf in tourneys like this? None. I hope HC enjoys this brief moment in the spotlight, because it will be 5-10 years before they are ever invited to a big time tourney, if they keep their current coach on. Getting into the NCAAs as a mid major just got that much harder at HC.

Patrick Yates

Biscuit King
10-04-2007, 01:44 PM
My bad. The article didn't specify the date of the CvC event, it just said:

"...[Organizers] called back the other day to say they thought they could work it out for the Crusaders to play at Storrs. Too late. The Crusaders had already scheduled a Jan. 3 game at the University of San Francisco and plans to honor its obligation."

I didn't assume anything about the "classiness" of the HC program, I just assumed that the USF game on Jan. 3 was the conflict, as the above excerpt would seem to imply. I guess the conflict is the number of games on the schedule, not overlapping dates. My mistake. That's what I get for relying on a guy who looks to have a worse toupee than Frank Dascenzo.

Wander
10-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I am sure that he wants no part of HC in Storrs. There is nothing for UCONN to gain, and everything to lose. For HC, it is the opposite. There is nothing to lose and every thing to gain.

You're wrong. Why does Duke have such a good RPI every year compared to other ACC teams? It's because we play teams like Holy Cross, George Mason, Davidson, Bucknell, New Mexico State etc very regularly. There's plenty to gain - namely better seeding in the NCAAs.

Also, this wasn't mentioned anywhere, but Calhoun basically whined about playing Holy Cross because of their slow down style of play. Anyone remember him crying about Quinnipiac last year? Same thing.

ACCBBallFan
10-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Granted Calhoun is a complete D-Bag. But, his decision makes sense. HC only agreed to compete in the tourney when the ORGANIZERS promised a game at Storrs. Calhoun wasn't a party to this agreement.

UCONN should annhialate HC. But, the Huskies will be looking ahead, while HC will be playing as though it were their FF. HC wants to play a big game in a local area to maximize its recruiting profile. If they win, great, but if they keep it respectable, they come out as winners.

UCONN only gets a neutral outcome if they absolutely destroy HC (but they look like bullies who ran up the score on an overmatched squad). Plus, a loss to a low level local team would be horrible. Imagine Duke losing to NCCU, Davidson, Willimington at CIS. Sure, the teams are respectable, but Duke should handily win. It is only news when they lose.

Calhoun, who I hate, only sought to avoid a trap game against a local competitor. He never agreed to the HC game. That was the organizers deal, not Calhoun's.

You have to know, and I mean that anyone with 2 separate brain cells to rub together, HAS to know that Big Time Teams use their clout to big-time tournaments and lesser squads all the time. Now, we do not know that Duke does it, same with UNC, but it probably has happened at some point. Usually the lesser squad keeps its yap shut when it happens, for good reason.

Look, I feel for the HC boys and their academic concerns. But, a lot of teams would kill for a slot in a tourney like this, no matter where they had to travel to, especially a low level squad like HC. There are a ton of mid and low majors that want these slots, and they have to do whatever, wherever, when said slot opens up. Which it won't for HC after this for many years.

How many mid-majors and low-majors get to play near their home turf in tourneys like this? None. I hope HC enjoys this brief moment in the spotlight, because it will be 5-10 years before they are ever invited to a big time tourney, if they keep their current coach on. Getting into the NCAAs as a mid major just got that much harder at HC.

Patrick Yates

I buy at most a paragraph of what you said, Patrick. Maybe the sentence about Calhoun I hate but that's about it. The rest is just wrong. UCONN being the premiwer team needs to accept being the host site regardless of who might be the rummies selected to play there.

Also agree with whichever poster implied the coaches vs Cancer organizers need to grow a pair, and not bow down to the mighty Calhoun.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2007/10/gazelle_group_shouldnt_bend_to.html

Clipsfan
10-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I also have little respect for Calhoun. Anyone remember what happened to the team last year? They played the weakest available competition at home for their first 11 games, winning those (according to Pomeroy, one was ranked 60th by the rest were really bad, mainly 200 or 300+). They then went 6-13 the rest of the way as they didn't get to set as much of a creampuff schedule. I think that Calhoun is trying to ensure that he has a creampuff schedule again and is scared to play HC, when in reality if you want to be a legitimate team you should relish decent competition. As mentioned above, Duke has a great RPI every year because they play very few weak teams in the OOC schedule.

trinity92
10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
He sure coached the pants off K in 1999 title game. Our team that year, along with UNLV 1991 were two of the most dominant teams ever that didn't win a title. We had 4 top 15 NBA players and didn't have a bad day. Got to respect the man for that.

monkey
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
He sure coached the pants off K in 1999 title game. Our team that year, along with UNLV 1991 were two of the most dominant teams ever that didn't win a title. We had 4 top 15 NBA players and didn't have a bad day. Got to respect the man for that.

That's not how I remember it - I remember one player playing well that game (Trajan, but for his miscue at the end) - the others on that team didn't play well. Some of it is coaching/game plan. Some of it is players not playing up to par. Some of it is that the Ct players just outplayed us.

Duvall
10-05-2007, 04:47 PM

There were two future elite NBA players on the floor that night, and the better one wasn't wearing a Duke uniform.

JasonEvans
10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
There were two future elite NBA players on the floor that night, and the better one wasn't wearing a Duke uniform.

Are you saying that Elton Brand is not a better player than Rip Hamilton? I beg to differ. Rip is good, very good, but Elton is a notch better in my book.

--Jason "not that NBA success has anything at all to do with what kind of college player you are" Evans

ACCBBallFan
10-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Calhoun's team also equally underperformed a couple years ago with Rudy Gay and co.

trinity92
10-05-2007, 05:49 PM
I think the job their team did stopping Brand won UCONN the game, and UCONN's best inside player was Jake Voskuhl, so they certainly didn't do it through talent. It was Calhoun's scheme for neutralizing Brand that won the game, and K just didn't have an answer.

Although Brand is more important to his team than Rip, Rip has an NCAA and NBA championship ring and Elton doesn't have any.

JasonEvans
10-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Although Brand is more important to his team than Rip, Rip has an NCAA and NBA championship ring and Elton doesn't have any.

You are aware that Greg Koubek has multiple NCAA championship rings and Danny Ferry doesn't have any, right?

--Jason "just being snarky-- forgive me " Evans

mapei
10-05-2007, 06:22 PM
UCONN's best inside player was Jake Voskuhl, so they certainly didn't do it through talent.

Um, Emeka Okafor? Yeah, he sat for most of the first half, which is a big part of the reason Duke was able to build a lead. But he played his heart out in the second half.

I think Elton and Hamilton have had roughly equal pro careers so far.

Duvall
10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Um, Emeka Okafor? Yeah, he sat for most of the first half, which is a big part of the reason Duke was able to build a lead. But he played his heart out in the second half.

We're talking about 1999.

mapei
10-05-2007, 06:57 PM
You're right, I'm an idiot. If we hadn't lost to them freakin' twice in the FF I wouldn't make that mistake. :(

jimsumner
10-05-2007, 10:22 PM
"You are aware that Greg Koubek has multiple NCAA championship rings and Danny Ferry doesn't have any, right?"

Actually Greg has one. Marty Clark, however, has two.

dkbaseball
10-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Christian Ast has two rings.

dukie8
10-05-2007, 11:41 PM
from the Hall of Fame???

i never understood why basketball elects guys to the hall of fame while they are in the middle of their careers. shouldn't the person's entire work be considered? i've written this in the past, but what would happen if it came out that royo had been paying his players all along and betting on his during during his nc season?

mapei
10-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Or K, for that matter. Not that I suspect it in the least - I'm just saying that there is a risk with anyone. I suppose the counter-argument is that coaches may be too old when they retire to enjoy the honor for long.