PDA

View Full Version : ACC sets all time record with 6 teams in Sweet 16 with SIX!!!

DukieInBrasil
03-20-2016, 08:41 PM
The ACC just set a new record with 6 of the 16 teams left, or 37.5%. Only Syracuse as a 10 seed is truly an upset team to make it through, although Notre Dame as a 6 seed is a mild upset. UVA (1), UNC (1), Miami (3), Duke (4), ND (6) and Syracuse (10) round out the cast.
The ACC is just crushing every other conference, by pretty much any metric you wanna use. 12-1 record, 3 upset wins to one loss (which was expected by seed), 7 overall teams. And this is a better performance than last year! Although this is supposed to be a down year relative to others (not sure how that gets decided, maybe mostly due to the Fr. class?), i think it's safe to say that the ACC is the best in the country!
Let's use this as a thread to discuss the remaining ACC teams.

Newton_14
03-20-2016, 08:51 PM
The ACC just set a new record with 6 of the 16 teams left, or 37.5%. Only Syracuse as a 10 seed is truly an upset team to make it through, although Notre Dame as a 6 seed is a mild upset. UVA (1), UNC (1), Miami (3), Duke (4), ND (6) and Syracuse (10) round out the cast.
The ACC is just crushing every other conference, by pretty much any metric you wanna use. 12-1 record, 3 upset wins to one loss (which was expected by seed), 7 overall teams. And this is a better performance than last year! Although this is supposed to be a down year relative to others (not sure how that gets decided, maybe mostly due to the Fr. class?), i think it's safe to say that the ACC is the best in the country!
Let's use this as a thread to discuss the remaining ACC teams.

Very cool. And a pretty solid chance to put a minimum of 3 teams in the Final 8, with more than a good chance to put more than that number in there. Going to be a run round for ACC Fans.

BD80
03-20-2016, 08:57 PM
And Maryland has a team with most of its experience playing in the ACC.

Let's call it 6 1/2.

Edouble
03-20-2016, 09:05 PM

Let's call it 6 1/2.

"Let my Terp-pins gooooo."

CDu
03-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Very cool. And a pretty solid chance to put a minimum of 3 teams in the Final 8, with more than a good chance to put more than that number in there. Going to be a run round for ACC Fans.

Yeah the ACC should be favored in two games for sure, with the other four being toss-ups. It is not at all out of the question to get 6 of the 8 Elite-8 spots.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Yeah the ACC should be favored in two games for sure, with the other four being toss-ups. It is not at all out of the question to get 6 of the 8 Elite-8 spots.

Maybe, but I would dearly love to get rid of the unnch cheaters

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Some in the media are tying themselves up in knots trying to downplay the ACC getting 6 teams in Sweet 16. Their argument? ACC's tourney strength of schedule is bad because of the upsets in a single elimination tournament. It is quite funny to follow on Twitter.

robed deity
03-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Some in the media are tying themselves up in knots trying to downplay the ACC getting 6 teams in Sweet 16. Their argument? ACC's tourney strength of schedule is bad because of the upsets in a single elimination tournament. It is quite funny to follow on Twitter.

There is also something to be said for the ACC teams NOT being upset.

devildeac
03-20-2016, 09:42 PM

Let's call it 6 1/2.

Let's not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYCPccFQHWA

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2016, 09:44 PM
There is also something to be said for the ACC teams NOT being upset.

That is the same argument of the 5 sane people on Twitter.

gocanes0506
03-20-2016, 09:51 PM

Agree but I believe its also possible only 1 makes it as well.

The matchups against UVA & CHeats are tough. Miami game is a draw. Duke, ND, and Cuse will be underdogs. Zags will run cuse out. Unfortunately, CHeats have the best chance and may be the only team to make it out. Miami has the 2nd best chance, IMO. ND has the third, then UVA, Duke, and Cuse last.

jv001
03-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Agree but I believe its also possible only 1 makes it as well.

The matchups against UVA & CHeats are tough. Miami game is a draw. Duke, ND, and Cuse will be underdogs. Zags will run cuse out. Unfortunately, CHeats have the best chance and may be the only team to make it out. Miami has the 2nd best chance, IMO. ND has the third, then UVA, Duke, and Cuse last.

Survive and advance..................One game at a time......GoDuke!!!!

Dukehky
03-21-2016, 08:43 AM
I only see 3 ACC teams in that list...

Channing
03-21-2016, 08:48 AM
I guess my ACC roots don't run as deep as others (I graduated from Duke in '04 and, though a Duke fan prior to attending Duke, I didn't grow up in North Carolina or otherwise have it drilled into my head), but I'm not all that concerned with other ACC teams. I would have been happier to see UNC bounced by Providence and ND bounced by SFA (because I can't stand UNC and this ND is particularly irksome).

NM Duke Fan
03-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Quite an accomplishment indeed! I personally would rather have seen SFA make it over ND. They came so very close. The tournament is even better with an relatively unknown team with an unusual player, and SFA was a really good team that would have added just a bit more spice to the menu.

gurufrisbee
03-21-2016, 09:03 AM
There are no easy matchups at this stage anymore. ACC could get 6 in the Elite Eight - could get zero. NC, UVA, Syracuse, and Notre Dame will all likely be favorites due to being higher seeds. The only one I think doesn't make it is the Orange. The only ones I hope don't make it are the Orange and the Cheaters.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Interesting article about the financial impact of the success thus far - who needs football to pay the bills!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15029265/acc-stands-make-more-30-million-ncaa-tournament-success

Also, we would possibly be doing even better if not for the administration of Louisville pulling the plug on their season.

killerleft
03-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Quite an accomplishment indeed! I personally would rather have seen SFA make it over ND. They came so very close. The tournament is even better with an relatively unknown team with an unusual player, and SFA was a really good team that would have added just a bit more spice to the menu.

I agree with the ND and UNC sentiment, for sure. Both of them losing would have been just fine, especially the Cheaters.

But making lemonade out of lemons is the thing to do. It makes our conference look good, and puts egg on the faces of the talking heads who always bash the ACC. If the conference puts at least four in the final 8, it will take an awful lot of squirming and axle grease for 'Eye-Test' Barkley and his friends to avoid the awful truth. Maybe they can write a primer on how to remove one's head from...

PackMan97
03-21-2016, 10:18 AM
There are no easy matchups at this stage anymore. ACC could get 6 in the Elite Eight - could get zero. NC, UVA, Syracuse, and Notre Dame will all likely be favorites due to being higher seeds. The only one I think doesn't make it is the Orange. The only ones I hope don't make it are the Orange and the Cheaters.

If I had to choose between six in the EE or zero...I'm sorry but I'm going to be chearing for ZERO. Someone, anyone, please beat the Cheats!

Jeffrey
03-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Let's call it 6 1/2.

Please, let's not! IMO, those are not ACC level fans.

Jeffrey
03-21-2016, 10:25 AM

IMO, 3 out of 8 is very good! Especially, since it's really 3 out of 7, with the loss of Maryland.

fan345678
03-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Original ACC fans only see two.

BandAlum83
03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
If I had to choose between six in the EE or zero...I'm sorry but I'm going to be chearing for ZERO. Someone, anyone, please beat the Cheats!

Wait....that means you would give up seeing Duke in the Elite Eight, if it meant UNC doesn't go? Your hatred of UNC surpasses your love for Duke?

Please clarify, because flames are going your way shortly.

94duke
03-21-2016, 12:26 PM
If I had to choose between six in the EE or zero...I'm sorry but I'm going to be chearing for ZERO. Someone, anyone, please beat the Cheats! Wait...that means you would give up seeing Duke in the Elite Eight, if it meant UNC doesn't go? Your hatred of UNC surpasses your love for Duke?

I believe he is a State fan, so it makes sense for him to say that.

PackMan97
03-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Wait...that means you would give up seeing Duke in the Elite Eight, if it meant UNC doesn't go? Your hatred of UNC surpasses your love for Duke?

All things being equal, bad happening for UNC will be greater joy to my life than good things happening for all the other ACC teams combined.

I only sorta like Duke, though we do go way back and in no way do I actively wish bad things to happen to Duke,
1. The first college game I remember was "The Game". Duke v UK. In the Camp Lejune bowling alley bar waiting for a lane to come open. That game is the reason I feel in love with college basketball.
2. My best friend from high school spent a good deal of time at Duke dealing with Kidney issues in the early 90s. Darn near needed a transplant back then, but Duke was able to get things working again so that only this year (22 years later) did he finally get that transplant.
3. My dad's first heart surgery was at Duke (flew him in from Onslow county) in '92. He's still alive an kicking 24 years later.
4. Duke's purpose in life is to crush UNC and demoralize their fans.

The problem is, you guys didn't hold up your end of the deal this season.
* You lost to UNC in FB
* You split with UNC in BB
* You let UNC win the ACC regular season and tournament championships!

Shame on Duke! Do better and I won't have to throw you under the bus in an attempt to get UNC to lose!

BandAlum83
03-21-2016, 12:34 PM
All things being equal, bad happening for UNC will be greater joy to my life than good things happening for all the other ACC teams combined.

I only sorta like Duke, though we do go way back and in no way do I actively wish bad things to happen to Duke,
1. The first college game I remember was "The Game". Duke v UK. In the Camp Lejune bowling alley bar waiting for a lane to come open. That game is the reason I feel in love with college basketball.
2. My best friend from high school spent a good deal of time at Duke dealing with Kidney issues in the early 90s. Darn near needed a transplant back then, but Duke was able to get things working again so that only this year (22 years later) did he finally get that transplant.
3. My dad's first heart surgery was at Duke (flew him in from Onslow county) in '92. He's still alive an kicking 24 years later.

* You lost to UNC in FB

Shame on Duke! Do better and I won't have to throw you under the bus in an attempt to get UNC to lose!

Ok, I understand now. Flames averted. But tread carefully. ;)

I was on the brick yard in '83, BTW. Great celebration! I was also on Franklin Street in 82.

devildeac
03-21-2016, 12:38 PM

* You lost to UNC in FB

At least we beat them once in MBB, unlike some other neighborhood Triangle team :p .

killerleft
03-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Ok, I understand now. Flames averted. But tread carefully. ;)

I was on the brick yard in '83, BTW. Great celebration! I was also on Franklin Street in 82.

I hope you weren't playing with the UNC band, at least. Shuddering at the very thought of being there in '82! "Danger, Will Dukinson! Does not compute! Does not compute!"

Jeffrey
03-21-2016, 12:52 PM
I only sorta like Duke,

Then, you must have a lot of free time.

devildeac
03-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Even if I already posted this in another thread, it's worth repeating:

Hoosier Daddy!?

Or, stated in another manner:

I have 2 favorite teams: Duke and whoever is playing unc.

BandAlum83
03-21-2016, 12:58 PM
I hope you weren't playing with the UNC band, at least. Shuddering at the very thought of being there in '82! "Danger, Will Dukinson! Does not compute! Does not compute!"

Actually, had a girlfriend who lived in chapel hill and went to UNC-W. It was a fun night. She came home for the final four weekend.

I am from the "healthy respect" school, not the "intense hatred" school. And yes, I lost respect for them with the academic fraud scandal.

But remember, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

gus
03-21-2016, 01:03 PM
Original ACC fans only see two.

You mean three right? If you're not counting Virginia's late arrival, I'm not counting Maryland's very late departure.

killerleft
03-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Actually, had a girlfriend who lived in chapel hill and went to UNC-W. It was a fun night. She came home for the final four weekend.

I am from the "healthy respect" school, not the "intense hatred" school. And yes, I lost respect for them with the academic fraud scandal.

But remember, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

No problem! I have a healthy respect for my hatred of all things UNCheat related. Been rolling that way for a long time.:)

Jeffrey
03-21-2016, 01:07 PM
You mean three right? If you're not counting Virginia's late arrival, I'm not counting Maryland's very late departure.

IMO, UVA counts since they also signed up in 1953. So, maybe the right count is 3 of 6, since S.C. is long gone.

PackMan97
03-21-2016, 01:31 PM
At least we beat them once in MBB, unlike some other neighborhood Triangle team :p .

Eh, UNC treats us like the annoying little brother. They let us when every now and then and don't even get upset. I even hear some of their fans say "Aren't they cute, storming the court. That should last them for another 3-4 years and we'll let them do it again".

What can I say, when you can't get the job done...ask Duke to do it.

weezie
03-21-2016, 02:01 PM

Let's call it 6 1/2.

Argh, let's not. I'd prefer we just point and laugh at them. No way they'd be this far if they'd forced us to put up with them any longer.

devildeac
03-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Eh, UNC treats us like the annoying little brother. They let us when every now and then and don't even get upset. I even hear some of their fans say "Aren't they cute, storming the court. That should last them for another 3-4 years and we'll let them do it again".

Fair enough. Maybe Manalishi/Pack Pride can do more damage. Soon. ;)

BigWayne
03-21-2016, 03:40 PM

I was on Franklin St. in 81 and 82. We parked our car by the bus stop bench right at the main intersection and watched the game on a DC TV sitting on top of the car and cheered for the other team. 81 was glorious. 82 got a bit ugly after the game. Ended up having to hitch hike home to Durham when I got separated from my group.

BandAlum83
03-21-2016, 05:01 PM
I was on Franklin St. in 81 and 82. We parked our car by the bus stop bench right at the main intersection and watched the game on a DC TV sitting on top of the car and cheered for the other team. 81 was glorious. 82 got a bit ugly after the game. Ended up having to hitch hike home to Durham when I got separated from my group.

My girlfriend actually got me a can of Spray Paint. I was spraying graffiti on the walls of the Upper Deck Sports bar while the town was being painted blue. I think the management kept it on the walls for quite a while. I won't tell you what I was writing for fear of being ostracized.

Just remember, we were coming off a 17 loss season, and girlfriends can get a testosterone fueled 20 year old to do just about anything.

CameronBlue
03-21-2016, 06:16 PM

Yeah but ya have to help out a little. You were right there, 6 in a row within your grasp, not just bragging rights but the type of dominance that changes the culture. But then you punted to Bernard. Geez!

Newton_14
03-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah for real. There is no way I would have been within 30 miles of that gawdawful place on the first Monday Night in April of 82. I don't like going there anyway and don't unless someone is in the hospital there that I need to go see. I refuse to go there even for a Duke basketball or Football game against them. I wouldn't last. :)

throatybeard
03-22-2016, 01:39 AM

I don't believe it's a stretch to say that this is the best sentence written in roughly two decades of these boards on all platforms.