PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 93, UNC-W 85 post-game thread

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Discuss.

hurleyfor3
03-17-2016, 03:07 PM
They scored a ton of points, didn't they.

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks Plumlee for stepping up the energy to start the second half. That massive start to the second half was the difference in the ballgame.

elvis14
03-17-2016, 03:08 PM
They scored a ton of points, didn't they.

Yeah, but we scored a ton + 8

Survive and advance.

Troublemaker
03-17-2016, 03:09 PM
live postgame presser here, if work doesn't block youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9wB1kLPHyY

Devilwin
03-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Had to listen to it, but getting ready to watch it now. Too close, UNCW was awful scrappy, and we kept shooting ourselves in the foot ( three straight tos that led to baskets for them, for example) but hey, great game by MP3. SURVIVE AND ADVANCE!!:cool:

Matches
03-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Ingram & Plumlee dominated against an outsized opponent, as they should have. Collectively the guys did an excellent job in the second half of attacking after breaking the press, leading to numerous Plumdunks and lots of fouls. We were never able to get enough stops strung together to put them away; it was more like they ran out of time.

Survive & advance.

brevity
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Win or lose, I promised in DBR Chat that I would post this here.

Sad CJ Gettys is sad.

(Context: The TV show Dawson's Creek filmed its high school scenes at UNCW and its college scenes at Duke.)

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
The Good
-We won!
-We scored really efficiently (54%), despite not shooting the 3 ball well (27%)
-Against a well-executed press, we only turned the ball over 10 times. I'll take that
-Plumlee was a beast, and Ingram kept us alive in the first half

The Bad
-While we outrebounded them by 6, I felt like we didn't use our height advantage at all
-We shot 72% from the FT line, including a really poor 50% from Ingram. Gotta get better

The Ugly
-We let them score 85 points. Our defense is atrocious. Can't really debate that at this point

If we wanna advance further, we gotta do better on D.

duke79
03-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Hey, a win is a win........but we need to play better D and we need to shoot better from the outside, to go farther in the tourney.

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Hey, a win is a win....but we need to play better D and we need to shoot better from the outside, to go farther in the tourney.

I don't get this. We scored 93 points without shooting well from the 3. Do we need to shoot better from outside? Me thinks it'll help, but I'll take 54% from the field any day.

As far as D goes, yeah. This team is atrocious at D.

cspan37421
Thrilling, competitive game. Big ups to Marshall and Grayson, both hitting FTs above their season average rate. Brandon was silky smooth as usual, though left a couple at the FT line. Luke is streaky and that's OK for now, but those two turnovers were real head-scratchers. You want to have him be a trusted ballhandling option esp. at the end of games with a lead, since he's so strong from the FT line. He's got some drive moves but d/n quite finish at the same rate as Grayson. Good to see Chase active and showing he deserves some time - esp. when Marshall might benefit from a break. Quite an "and one" from Derryck in the 2nd half. That's one that led Len Elmore to show his true colors.

They almost called it well with explaining that UNCW fouls a TON, and that the refs are supposed to allow for freedom of movement, something they seem to have forgotten about 1/3 of the way through the season. But they couldn't resist shading calls against UNCW as questionable and calls against Duke as clearly deserved.

So we have to suffer through Elmore calling it again in 2 days?

azzefkram
Nice work by MPIII and BI. Grayson didn't shoot the ball well but he kept attacking and getting to the line. Until the turnovers, I thought Luke was playing a good overall game despite the poor shooting. Some really nice positive minutes from Chase. Derryck mostly played within himself and didn't force things. Matt played a good game despite fouling out and a few uncharacteristic brain farts. Much happier with the second half energy and effort.

Rest up for the next game guys.

Oh and did I really hear Ian Eagle say "the plumber with the flush."

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't get this. We scored 93 points without shooting well from the 3. Do we need to shoot better from outside? Me thinks it'll help, but I'll take 54% from the field any day.

We had a ridiculous size advantage inside. We absolutely SHOULD have shot a high percentage inside. If we face Baylor, we aren't going to shoot nearly as well inside, so we're going to need to shoot better from outside.

I agree that defense was the bigger problem today, but in terms of things we need to do better moving forward, shooting from the perimeter is absolutely one of them.

Tjenkins
03-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Only caught the last 10 minutes, so I can't offer too much in terms of analysis. Plumlee came through big time. UNC-By-The-Sea has a good team.

wsb3
03-17-2016, 03:25 PM
First..Props to my hometown college..UNCW played with so much heart as I knew they would. Still I kept thinking we would shake them a few times in the last few minutes but we never could & that 3 that was from 30..AWWW..
I have never seen them shoot 3's like that.

Marshall, Thank you. What energy & how you changed the game on offense & defense. Even looked so smooth at the free throw line. MOTM without a doubt.

Of course the free throws are already being discussed since Duke gets all the calls.. Gee nothing to do with a driving team that wants to go to the line vs a team that was ranked 1 in fouls called.

I actually (holding my breath) did not think Elmore was as bias today as he usually is. I am not sure about the block charge that sent Thornton to the line but then I was not so sure about Marshall's last foul..That was huge. 4 point swing & no time off the clock.

Sure hope Luke has one of those really good games he is capable of on Saturday. I have a feeling we are going to need it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
We had a ridiculous size advantage inside. We absolutely SHOULD have shot a high percentage inside. If we face Baylor, we aren't going to shoot nearly as well inside, so we're going to need to shoot better from outside.

I agree that defense was the bigger problem today, but in terms of things we need to do better moving forward, shooting from the perimeter is absolutely one of them.

I'd argue that 3pt shooting is fourth on the list after defense, defense, defense.

RepoMan
03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
There really no is substitute for Senior intensity. Marshall has had one of the more remarkable and unexpected seasons that I can remember. What leadership!

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:28 PM
I'd argue that 3pt shooting is fourth on the list after defense, defense, defense.

Obviously, yes. Defense was the biggest problem today, and will likely be the biggest concern for every game moving forward. But this is a team that is very dependent on shooting well from 3 when it comes to facing better opponents. If we don't shoot well, we're likely to struggle to score, because we aren't a great offensive rebounding team and we aren't a post team.

duke79
03-17-2016, 03:31 PM

My thought is we got away with a lot of inside scoring in this game, but I'm not sure that is going to be so easy moving forward. It will be a BIG help if we can shoot better from the outside, esp. 3-pointers.

Bob Green
03-17-2016, 03:31 PM
I didn't see the game due to work. On the drive home, I heard on sports radio Grayson Allen went for 23 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists becoming only the second Duke player to go for 20, 10 and 5 in a NCAA Tournament game. That's impressive.

Roshown McLeod was the first in 1998.

PSurprise
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
I think the poor D is at least partially the result of the thin bench. I'm sure the guys have it in the back of their minds that they need to limit their fouls, which oftentimes limits the aggressiveness on D.

devildeac
03-17-2016, 03:35 PM
I didn't see the game due to work. On the drive home, I heard on sports radio Grayson Allen went for 23 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists becoming only the second Duke player to go for 20, 10 and 5 in a NCAA Tournament game. That's impressive.

Roshown McLeod was the first in 1998.

15/17 FT. You know we get all the calls :rolleyes: .

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Obviously, yes. Defense was the biggest problem today, and will likely be the biggest concern for every game moving forward. But this is a team that is very dependent on shooting well from 3 when it comes to facing better opponents. If we don't shoot well, we're likely to struggle to score, because we aren't a great offensive rebounding team and we aren't a post team.

What I don't understand is how Duke seemed to regress on D from the 2nd Louisville game to today. Duke was never doing to become dominant on D, but competent? That was the goal and they looked like they were on their way.

Many on DBR blamed it on fatigue, but you can't use that excuse for this game. It looked like poor placement, poor rotations, and poor keeping-the-man-in-front-of-you.

Atldukie79
03-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Did anyone notice we played 4 freshmen and a sophomore during the end game situation after Matt and Plum fouled out?

Let's not take for granted how remarkable their poise was in the biggest game of the season!

azzefkram
03-17-2016, 03:39 PM

I think we are fairly good at offensive rebounding (top 50). The defensive issue is a bit puzzling to me since we have stretches where we play well. Heck we even have whole games where we play well.

duke79
03-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Yale is up by 3 over Baylor. Let's go Bulldogs !!

hurleyfor3
03-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Our Pomeranian defensive efficiency went down after this game, from 100.6 to 101.2 (111th to 118th). Panic on!

TKG
03-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Did anyone notice we played 4 freshmen and a sophomore during the end game situation after Matt and Plum fouled out?

Let's not take for granted how remarkable their poise was in the biggest game of the season!

We will need more from Matt on Saturday.

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:43 PM
What I don't understand is how Duke seemed to regress on D from the 2nd Louisville game to today. Duke was never doing to become dominant on D, but competent? That was the goal and they looked like they were on their way.

Many on DBR blamed it on fatigue, but you can't use that excuse for this game. It looked like poor placement, poor rotations, and poor keeping-the-man-in-front-of-you.

Well, to be fair, we were only good defensively for a stretch of about 3-4 games. Admittedly, we were elite defensively for those 3-4 games, but that's really been it. Today's game and the two ACC tournament games were more like the type of defense we've seen most of the season.

As far as WHY the sudden change? I don't know. I'm not sure why we suddenly got really good at defense midseason, so it's hard to know why we got bad again. Hopefully Coach K can find whatever button that was pushed midseason and push it again.

whereinthehellami
03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
The team seems tight and mentally fatigued. I'd like to see them loosen up and try to have some fun.

wsb3
03-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Anyone know if there are replays of the game online?

My wife the UNCW Grad wants to watch it when she gets home from work.

Thanks

CDu
03-17-2016, 03:52 PM
The team seems tight and mentally fatigued. I'd like to see them loosen up and try to have some fun.

I think the only chance of that will come if we make the second weekend of the tournament. Then, we'll likely be playing the underdog role from then on, which would maybe help the psyche. It's always easier to play with house money.

FerryFor50
03-17-2016, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't put a ton of stock into hitting 93 points despite shooting poorly. A lot of those points came at the FT line (31!!). I wouldn't bank on a) Duke getting to the line that much every game or b) Duke hitting at a 72% clip from the stripe. This game, the officials actually were calling the game as per freedom of movement rules. We've seen all year that isn't necessarily going to happen.

Also, many of those points came in the paint at the expense of an undersized UNCW team. Naturally, they offset that by hitting 11 threes at 42% when they average 7 threes per game at 34%. Not all of those threes they hit were open. Some were from 25feet out or more. Duke will absolutely need to shoot better to stay in this tournament, as well as take care of the ball better (11 assists to 10 turnovers). Looking at you, Kennard. :rolleyes:

Duke didn't give up a lot of easy layups. UNCW stayed in the game with hot shooting.

Luckily, Duke had more talent and Ingram delivered, as did Plumlee. Allen had an uneven game shooting (and took some bad shots) but made up for it with solid rebounding and passing.

Edouble
03-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Hey, a win is a win...but we need to play better D and we need to shoot better from the outside, to go farther in the tourney.

Further... although technically you may be correct. We are trying to go pretty far (California).

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-17-2016, 04:25 PM
I am not too concerned with our shooting in this game. With the way they play defense most of our threes were rushed threes in transition. We didn't have too many chances at set threes or within the offense threes. It makes a difference when our shots our within the flow of the game. UNCW doesn't let you get into a flow, and its basically chaos on the court. I think we shot some out of frustration, which lowered our percentage. Should be able to get better shots vs Yale or Baylor.

The guys need to rest up after that one, it was an up and down crazy game. Luckily we got lots of rest at the foul line.

Billy Dat
03-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Also, many of those points came in the paint at the expense of an undersized UNCW team. Naturally, they offset that by hitting 11 threes at 42% when they average 7 threes per game at 34%. Not all of those threes they hit were open. Some were from 25feet out or more.

I felt like this was the story of the first half, they were HOT. Many of the 3s were open as they swung they ball after our attempted sideline traps (interesting idea but we didn't execute it well), but they also hit some well defended tough shots.

I think the poor D is at least partially the result of the thin bench. I'm sure the guys have it in the back of their minds that they need to limit their fouls, which oftentimes limits the aggressiveness on D.

I get this feeling sometimes too, but I am also not sure I am not just making excuses. But, as others said, the game was being called really tightly and, as FerryFor50 said about the restriction rules, they were calling them by the book and UNCW absolutely was restricting movement. It was obvious and they paid the price. Jones and Plumlee fouled out, too, so we were smart to let some guys guy to the rim at times.

-The Kennard and Ingram 3s right before the half were enormous...HUGE! We had all the momentum heading into the second half
-The key to the lead we built in the first 5 minutes of the second half was that they were not scoring, so they couldn't set up their pressure, and we also began to hit our foul shots. Marshall and Chase both went 2-2 on trips to the line and we got that monkey off our back. We started missing them again later but it was more important to hit them when we did.
-Forget Plumlee's offense, which was great, his defensive intensity to start the half - a couple of blocks - really got us going and set a tone
-Ingram played an awesome game. He was in attack mode, brought the ball up against the press a bunch, was rebounding with ferocity, and blocked a few shots. He filled the box score.
-I actually wish we had played more at their tempo. We got our best shots when we pushed against their pressure. Their perimeter physical defense did result in a lot of fouls, but it also kept us off rhythm. We didn't get a lot of great looks in the halfcourt.
-Grayson, aside from hitting FTs, showed a ton of poise down the stretch as we tried to end the game. The two slips weren't really his fault. I have to say that I always laugh at the maniacal pace of the Duke managers - I appreciate the intensity and effort but it's a little ridiculous - and watching them dry the floor like they were trying to dig up a man suffocating in quicksand was a bit of levity during an otherwise stressful stretch
-Jeter is officially in the rotation and I am more and more comfortable when he checks in. His blocked shot at the very end, which essentially ended them, was awesome, the play of the year for him.
-Kennard didn't have a great game, Old Man Jones still seems hobbled, DT was pretty good but he still isn't playing "free" yet, he looks like he's still overthinking a bit, not a surprise for a freshman PG
-MP3, ditch the mask and unleash the beast!!!! Very happy for that dude, he's a killer.

Good win, let's keep it going.

GGLC
03-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Yeah, Chase's block at the end was huge.

He looks so much better out there.

weezie
03-17-2016, 04:34 PM

Good point. Did anyone catch GA saying "Please sir!" when was hit with the whistle late 2nd? Absurd that the press has hounded this kid into such a defensive crouch.
Was listening to radio first half and whoever the color man was enjoyed a field day banging on Grayson.

Stupid, lazy, and poorly educated dumbbell commentators determining the narrative on a 20 year old. It's infuriating.

Saratoga2
03-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Worth noting UNC Wilmington is an experienced team and conference champion. They are small but quick and had enough depth to apply a pressure defense for 40 minutes. They also use a style which includes bumping and grabbing, hence they pick up fouls at a high rate. Their quickness did cause Duke to have trouble guarding well and they shot very well.

The tournament will tend to produce a lot of close games as Baylor is struggling with Yale now. I think coach told told his team to pick it up in the second half and they did, particularly Marshall. He did have quite a size advantage and they plan used by coach K exploited that.

I think both Matt and Luke had a little problem with the quickness and aggressiveness of the defense. They both worked hard and contributed but the matchups were a little difficult for them. We survived and advanced by effort and good coaching.

duke79
03-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Yale may actually win.......damn. They're up by 10 now !!

grossbus
03-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Showing some stress now. Up 4. In bounding. 1:21.

grossbus
03-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Now up 2 after turnover on inbound.

duke79
03-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Not over yet, but a helluva of a game. Yale is hanging in there, so far. Gutsy play.

summerwind03
03-17-2016, 05:33 PM
What was the UNC-W coach's "McDonalds" quote in the post-game interview?

duke79
03-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Yale wins !! First time in school history. Bring'em on !!

grossbus
03-17-2016, 05:36 PM
I did nor hear one. Replayed and still did not hear one.

summerwind03
03-17-2016, 05:38 PM
I did nor hear one. Replayed and still did not hear one.

Ah, sorry. I saw a Facebook post saying he had the best joke of the day, but it had a video, and I can't play it.

BandAlum83
03-17-2016, 05:39 PM
What was the UNC-W coach's "McDonalds" quote in the post-game interview?

Something along the line of "we don't have any on the team, but pass plenty on the way home"

devildeac
03-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Something along the line of "we don't have any on the team, but pass plenty on the way home"

A variation of the Campbell coach's quote from (quite) a few years ago remarking about Duke having ~7 McDonald's all-americans on the squad and they only had 1 McDonalds in Buies Creek. Or something like that.

82hawk
03-17-2016, 06:52 PM
That was fun.

The team you saw today is the team we've seen all year. Undersized, aggressive, multiple scorers, and fouls all day. Duke was simply too big with too much talent. No way we were going to cover Ingram, Allen or Plumlee one on one.

Glad we at least caused some blood pressure to rise.

Thanks for the welcome and fun conversation leading up this. Now, go beat Yale!

wsb3
03-17-2016, 06:55 PM
That was fun.

The team you saw today is the team we've seen all year. Undersized, aggressive, multiple scorers, and fouls all day. Duke was simply too big with too much talent. No way we were going to cover Ingram, Allen or Plumlee one on one.

Don't be a stranger.. Now I hope the Hawks can keep their coach..

Ballboy1998
03-17-2016, 06:56 PM
That was fun.

Thanks for joining us! I really liked your team and your coach a lot -- even when they were up I was having trouble finding much to hate (though I can always find at least some :rolleyes:).

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-17-2016, 07:04 PM
That was fun.

Ah A hawks fan, tell me sir or maam after the game did you become frustrated with the officials? Did you feel like Duke was getting all the calls, or was it more a product of how your team plays?

Obviously as Duke fans we are accustomed to the Duke gets all the calls narrative, but wanted to hear it from an opposing fan who seems neutral to us.

Please share your thoughts, as I know many would love to hear it. Thanks, and mad respect for posting and coming back to post after the game, your team was awesome and I see great things in the future for you guys. Congrats.

ipatent
03-17-2016, 07:10 PM
Besides Grayson's two slips, the Baylor kid lost his footing on the behind the back dribble attempt on their last possession.

They should do something about that by Saturday.

-jk
03-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Is there ice under the court? Hate that...

They need a better insulating layer.

-jk

hsheffield
03-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Yale wins !! First time in school history. Bring'em on !!

boola, boola; boola, boola; boola, boola;

for a school that (theoretically) has no athletic scholarships!

painful to pull against them Saturday, but it has to be done.

cspan37421
03-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Besides Grayson's two slips, the Baylor kid lost his footing on the behind the back dribble attempt on their last possession.

I noticed that. Len et al didn't mention it though.
I think he may have lost the ball regardless of the slip.

So, will Grayson be playing in trail runners?

cspan37421
03-17-2016, 07:36 PM
painful to pull against them Saturday, but it has to be done.

Actually kind of hard to pull for Yale today given what may be deemed a PPB story about Montague, but one could separate rooting for their team from feeling good about the school's policies and handling of such cases. I'd say a few of us probably know a thing or two about that.

"Who are you going to play Saturday?"

"Yale."

"Um ... OK ... WHO ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY SATURDAY??"

MartyClark
03-17-2016, 07:40 PM
That was fun.

I liked your team and coach. Thanks for the civil and informative conversation.

cspan37421
03-17-2016, 07:42 PM
That was fun.

Mad props to you guys for a thrilling game! Your team is really good and if that was just "par for the course" I'm glad we didn't catch you on an especially good day! (actually you guys did hit threes at a higher clip, right? 42%?). Nice to play mostly non-chippy (non-Big East) basketball.

BTW, does anyone know what happened with that collision with Thornton? Both guys went down hard - as if neither saw the other coming.

BD80
03-17-2016, 08:02 PM
We will need more from Matt on Saturday.

Actually, LESS of Matt might be good. He made a couple of really stupid plays that cost us. Moving along the baseline on a deadball throw in? Really?

cspan37421
03-17-2016, 08:26 PM
Actually, LESS of Matt might be good. He made a couple of really stupid plays that cost us. Moving along the baseline on a deadball throw in? Really?

Matt also makes some good plays we can't live without. He's a good player overall ... streaky 3-point shooter but averages over 41%. You could make the case he should shoot more threes. He's in a 3-way dead heat for best accuracy on the team with Grayson and Brandon.

But no one is beating Marshall's record 3 point accuracy set last year. :)

sagegrouse
03-17-2016, 08:29 PM

And a Miami player slipped going into the lane, also in Providence. Methinks there is an ice hockey rink somewhere underneath.

Doria
03-17-2016, 08:43 PM
That was fun.

I hope that your team isn't too discouraged; they have every reason to be proud of their performance. I was certainly sweating, anyway! And the team looks like it would be very fun to watch. I'm sorry that out here, on the West Coast, I have little opportunity to watch them, but I wish them well.

duke80
03-17-2016, 09:07 PM
I hope that your team isn't too discouraged; they have every reason to be proud of their performance. I was certainly sweating, anyway! And the team looks like it would be very fun to watch. I'm sorry that out here, on the West Coast, I have little opportunity to watch them, but I wish them well.

Hi guys,

Anyone know if there are replays online?? Missed the game.
Also, I live in San Diego. Anyone know how to get tickets in Anaheim?
Sorry if someone already posted, but would love some help with this.
Saw the highlights. Way to go Duke.

Billy Dat
03-17-2016, 09:07 PM
BTW, does anyone know what happened with that collision with Thornton? Both guys went down hard - as if neither saw the other coming.

The few replays they showed, I think DT was trying to shoot in and steal a lazy pass between two UNCW players and didn't even see Flemmings who was between DT and the two UNCW players executing said pass. Flemmings was just heading up court and also not looking at DT so, as you say, I don't think they saw each other.

elvis14
03-17-2016, 09:10 PM
The few replays they showed, I think DT was trying to shoot in and steal a lazy pass between two UNCW players and didn't even see Flemmings who was between DT and the two UNCW players executing said pass. Flemmings was just heading up court and also not looking at DT so, as you say, I don't think they saw each other.

Yeah, DT was wasn't looking at Flemmings. He was watching another player without the ball. That player darted back to get the ball and DT was going to try to deny the pass. When DT also darted back, he crushed Flemmings.

weezie
03-17-2016, 09:22 PM
And a Miami player slipped going into the lane, also in Providence. Methinks there is an ice hockey rink somewhere underneath.

There is. The Dunking Donuts Rhode Island Reds. Utter wanker poop that the crappy floors are set up over rinks. Looking at you Verizon Center. Cheapskate owners and cities.

-jk
03-17-2016, 09:24 PM
Need more c̶o̶w̶b̶e̶l̶l̶ insulation!

-jk

weezie
03-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Need more c̶o̶w̶b̶e̶l̶l̶ insulation!

-jk

The dilemma is, can you ever have enough?

Native
03-17-2016, 09:37 PM
That was fun.

Thanks for the kind words and good game by your side. Have to say that I think you guys have an absolutely outstanding coach. Lots of small minutiae in the way your team adapted quickly to what Duke was doing. Hope to see you more in the future.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Watching the game now. Chase Jeter is doing some really nice things when he is in. Marshall is a beast.

82hawk
03-17-2016, 09:39 PM
Ah A hawks fan, tell me sir or maam after the game did you become frustrated with the officials? Did you feel like Duke was getting all the calls, or was it more a product of how your team plays?

Obviously as Duke fans we are accustomed to the Duke gets all the calls narrative, but wanted to hear it from an opposing fan who seems neutral to us.

Please share your thoughts, as I know many would love to hear it. Thanks, and mad respect for posting and coming back to post after the game, your team was awesome and I see great things in the future for you guys. Congrats.

We foul A LOT, so this game was nothing new. I expected with a SLIGHT uptick in talent at Duke v CAA teams that we MIGHT foul just a bit more :)

No, I didn't think the calls went one way. And in a crowd of 2,000 at Trask coliseum(yes, we had that many show up to watch on the scoreboard), I didn't hear any complaints.

My concern is less about Duke, and more about what is/isn't allowed. Offensive players are allowed to use their free arm to hold off defenders and it isn't a foul, but any impediment of an offensive player IS a foul. I felt there were maybe 2-3 calls that went Dukes way that could have gone our way, but that was it. Two were blocking calls on us that I thought should have been a charge.

We are coached to challenge and be aggressive rather than give up points on the drive. It's really amazing we can overcome such huge FT differences, but we've done it all year.

I posted on our board before the game that Plumlee was going to be our biggest challenge, and IMO he WAS the difference. If we could have gotten him in foul trouble sooner, and if he had fouled out at the 4-5 minutes mark at the end, I think we could have taken you. But he was a freakin' monster in the second half, and he dictated play on offense and defense.

If we ever play again, i'll look forward to providing some insight.

So. Let me give you a prediction you've heard here first.

Wake Forest transfer Andre Washington comes to UNCW and plays next year as a graduate student. 7 ft., 220 lbs. Hargrave player who redshirted his senior year for no apparent reason. UNCW couldn't bring him on as a transfer since we had no schollys. Keatts coached Hargrave to two national championships. My spidey senses are tingling....

construe
03-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Are you watching a replay online? I seem to remember last year that ncaa.com would replay games, but I can't seem to find any such links this year. Really frustrating!

OldPhiKap
03-17-2016, 09:43 PM
We foul A LOT, so this game was nothing new. I expected with a SLIGHT uptick in talent at Duke v CAA teams that we MIGHT foul just a bit more :)

No, I didn't think the calls went one way. And in a crowd of 2,000 at Trask coliseum(yes, we had that many show up to watch on the scoreboard), I didn't hear any complaints.

My concern is less about Duke, and more about what is/isn't allowed. Offensive players are allowed to use their free arm to hold off defenders and it isn't a foul, but any impediment of an offensive player IS a foul. I felt there were maybe 2-3 calls that went Dukes way that could have gone our way, but that was it. Two were blocking calls on us that I thought should have been a charge.

We are coached to challenge and be aggressive rather than give up points on the drive. It's really amazing we can overcome such huge FT differences, but we've done it all year.

I posted on our board before the game that Plumlee was going to be our biggest challenge, and IMO he WAS the difference. If we could have gotten him in foul trouble sooner, and if he had fouled out at the 4-5 minutes mark at the end, I think we could have taken you. But he was a freakin' monster in the second half, and he dictated play on offense and defense.

Wake Forest transfer Andre Washington comes to UNCW and plays next year as a graduate student. 7 ft., 220 lbs. Hargrave player who redshirted his senior year for no apparent reason. UNCW couldn't bring him on as a transfer since we had no schollys. Keatts coached Hargrave to two national championships. My spidey senses are tingling...

I thanked you before the game, and thank you again now. You are welcome back any time.

Really impressed with your team, congrats on a great year. My new favorite hoops team in the UNC system!

BandAlum83
03-17-2016, 09:58 PM

Wake Forest transfer Andre Washington comes to UNCW and plays next year as a graduate student. 7 ft., 220 lbs. Hargrave player who redshirted his senior year for no apparent reason. UNCW couldn't bring him on as a transfer since we had no schollys. Keatts coached Hargrave to two national championships. My spidey senses are tingling...

Thanks for visiting and the insight!

devildeac
03-17-2016, 10:20 PM

Wait! You can't do that? Another team did against us. :rolleyes:

weezie
03-17-2016, 10:40 PM
My new favorite hoops team in the UNC system!

:eek:

DukieInBrasil
03-17-2016, 10:44 PM
That was quite an offensive performance! 3 players scored 20 or more points. MP3 can be an absolute beast when he channels his energy and effort in the right ways. Chase is even starting to turn in admirably effective minutes now, and could be considered part of the "rotation" now.
As much as i loved all that, the defense remained atrocious. Hopefully MP3 brings the same 2nd half energy to the 1st half vs. Yale and gets his teammates to bring the same intensity.

gep
03-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Are you watching a replay online? I seem to remember last year that ncaa.com would replay games, but I can't seem to find any such links this year. Really frustrating!

Does anyone know how to watch the replay online? I haven't found it yet... :confused:

NSDukeFan
03-18-2016, 05:35 AM
That was quite an offensive performance! 3 players scored 20 or more points. MP3 can be an absolute beast when he channels his energy and effort in the right ways. Chase is even starting to turn in admirably effective minutes now, and could be considered part of the "rotation" now.
As much as i loved all that, the defense remained atrocious. Hopefully MP3 brings the same 2nd half energy to the 1st half vs. Yale and gets his teammates to bring the same intensity.

As bad as the defense might have been, the guys had an awesome defensive possession at the end where they forced UNC-W to use the whole clock and still didn't get a great shot. I thought that was huge in the last minute and a half.

grossbus
03-18-2016, 08:33 AM
No MOTM thread? Choice was so obvious, I guess.

BD80
03-18-2016, 08:40 AM
So we were 2-1 against unc this season?

subzero02
03-18-2016, 08:51 AM
So we were 2-1 against unc this season?

The season's not over yet...

rasputin
03-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Am I the only one who thought this, or is UNC-W's coach the winner of the Smokey Robinson lookalike contest?

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Am I the only one who thought this, or is UNC-W's coach the winner of the Smokey Robinson lookalike contest?

Pre- or post-plastic surgery?

MCFinARL
03-18-2016, 10:43 AM

He's definitely the winner of the post-game press conference award, since, when asked about his lack of McDonald's All Americans, he apparently said "We pass a lot of McDonald's on the way home."

pfrduke
03-18-2016, 11:02 AM
He's definitely the winner of the post-game press conference award, since, when asked about his lack of McDonald's All Americans, he apparently said "We pass a lot of McDonald's on the way home."

Sorry, I think Taurean Prince is the undisputed winner of yesterday's post-game press conference award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6A2ZgKV6n0&feature=youtu.be

moonpie23
03-18-2016, 11:44 AM
that is some kung-fu level sarcasm......omg, that was awesome.....and the the "look" right after.....

cspan37421
03-18-2016, 12:17 PM

That was a good line, at a good time, though hardly original. I would have bet it originated with someone like Valvano, or even earlier, but all I can find quickly is:

NYTimes, 1993, interview with Wagner coach: ""The only thing we have in common with Georgia Tech, Temple and St. John's is that they have McDonald's all-Americans, and we eat our pre-game meals at McDonald's," Capstraw said. "

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/25/sports/college-basketball-a-stand-up-coach-is-serious-about-the-game.html

BandAlum83
03-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Sorry, I think Taurean Prince is the undisputed winner of yesterday's post-game press conference award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6A2ZgKV6n0&feature=youtu.be

I'm not sure how I feel about the entire exchange.

Stupidly phrased question followed by a sarcastic and rude answer.

Hmmmm

cspan37421
03-18-2016, 12:19 PM
that is some kung-fu level sarcasm...omg, that was awesome....and the the "look" right after....

Definitely funny, esp. for having just gone through that game and delivering a wiseacre comment on his feet, but he didn't really answer the guy's question.

devildeac
03-18-2016, 11:01 PM

I Second That Emotion ;) .

OldPhiKap
03-19-2016, 12:27 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about the entire exchange.

Stupidly phrased question followed by a sarcastic and rude answer.

Hmmmm

I think it was THE ONLY answer.