PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin Board Material

richardjackson199
03-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Article from front page of msn.com about how Duke is the Most Overrated team in the tourney:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/rejoice-duke-is-the-most-overrated-team-in-the-ncaa-tournament/ar-BBqublP?li=BBnba9I

Thanks for the bulletin board motivation to play better defense. Let's repeat and make the haters' heads explode.

(I still recall Jason Williams response in 2001 when the crowd at college park told him Duke was overrated. If they didn't get the message in the next 54 seconds, they got it at that final 4.) So go ahead, call us overrated.

rsvman
03-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Not too surprising. Par for the course, really.

I think we CAN do better, but if you look at KenPom, which is what the author was doing, he makes a cogent case. I think we are 22nd in KenPom now? Which means we should be about a 6 seed?

I agree that there's only one way to shut the doubters up, and that's to win the games.

richardjackson199
03-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Not too surprising. Par for the course, really.

I think we CAN do better, but if you look at KenPom, which is what the author was doing, he makes a cogent case. I think we are 22nd in KenPom now? Which means we should be about a 6 seed?

I agree that there's only one way to shut the doubters up, and that's to win the games.

Yep. Last year's team played their best defense of the year in the big dance. To win games, this year's team will need to do the same.

TruBlu
03-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Article from front page of msn.com about how Duke is the Most Overrated team in the tourney:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/rejoice-duke-is-the-most-overrated-team-in-the-ncaa-tournament/ar-BBqublP?li=BBnba9I

Thanks for the bulletin board motivation to play better defense. Let's repeat and make the haters' heads explode.

No offense to richardjackson intended, but to keep this article from getting hits, here is a summary:

1) Rejoice, Duke will get bounced early. Dukes defense is rated low, and the last times it was rated this low, Duke got beaten by Mercer and Lehigh in the tourney.
2) Duke gets all the calls.
3) Everyone hates Duke, justifiably.

Concur with the OP. Keep winning and make "everyone's" head explode.

wilson
03-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Of course someone published this article (and it probably won't be the last such screed this year). I'll be honest...I'm not bullish on this team's NCAAT prospects. I'll be very satisfied with a Sweet 16, whelmed (neither over nor under) with a 2nd-round exit, and disappointed but not shocked by a first-round bow-out. So I think the haters have a decent chance to derive satisfaction from our season's end this year.
But I don't mean that as a knock on this team at all. Given the thinness of the rotation to begin with and the various extra adversity they've faced, I think this team has overachieved pretty significantly. They could have easily folded after the mid-season losing streak, but since then, they've done some great things, especially in big moments...the UVA and Nose Dome wins will stand as really nice season highlights for quite some time. And of course, this season's greatest adversity, Amile's injury, means that next season's team figures to be positively loaded(er than it was already going to be). And this time next year, I bet you money that this same guy will offer his opinion that Duke has a cakewalk to the Final Four.

superdave
03-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Duke and West Virginia are the only teams in the tournament to beat two #1 seeds, I believe.

CDu
03-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Duke and West Virginia are the only teams in the tournament to beat two #1 seeds, I believe.

Nope, just Duke. WVU lost badly to UVa. We are the only one to beat 2 #1s, and I believe we are the only team with a winning record against #1s with more the 1 game played.

weezie
03-15-2016, 06:16 PM
I'm getting the distinct impression that March Cuckooness has mushroomed into 24/7 coverage, shows, opining, articles, trends, advertising campaigns, tweets, and small planes carrying banners overhead. Is it beyond comprehension?
Has this year seemed more frantic than in the past?

duke4ever19
03-15-2016, 06:33 PM
The author of this article is Chris Chase. He used to write little opinion articles for yahoo.
He was so bad at his job (inconsistent logic and horrid writing skills), that the comments on his articles were filled with nothing but mocking and calls for his termination.

There was even a popular "Fire Chris Chase" facebook group. It ended when he left yahoo, but his work has already garnered yet another fledgling group.

www.facebook.com/fire.chris.chase/info/?tab=page_info

Here's an article about the hate Chris Chase receives on his articles.

http://www.cjr.org/full_court_press/the_most_hated_blogger_in_amer.php

He's a hack writer, but is the poster-boy for the "If he can do it, then anyone can do it" aspiring sports journalist.

El_Diablo
03-15-2016, 06:38 PM
I think we are 22nd in KenPom now? Which means we should be about a 6 seed?

KenPom #22, yes, but that translates to a #5 seed (since two of the teams above us are not eligible for the tournament, we are the 20th-best team in the field in terms of KenPom ratings).

Meanwhile, Xavier (KenPom #15) is a #2 seed, Utah (KenPom #29) is a #3 seed, Notre Dame (KenPom #39) is a #6 seed, Oregon State (KenPom #60) is a #7 seed, Temple (KenPom #86) is a #10 seed. All are just as or more overrated than Duke going by KenPom vs. seeding differential. Temple has 15 teams ahead of it in terms of KenPom ranking that are lower on the committee's seed list.

Henderson
03-15-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm getting the distinct impression that March Cuckooness has mushroomed into 24/7 coverage, shows, opining, articles, trends, advertising campaigns, tweets, and small planes carrying banners overhead. Is it beyond comprehension?
Has this year seemed more frantic than in the past?

It's like a street that REALLY likes to do Christmas decorations. They spend 11 months out of the year planning how to make next year's display bigger than the Anderson's, then 1 month discharging their pent up effluent, all the while thinking how much bigger it will be next year. And they KNOW we all have to drive down their block.

It's hopeless. I am resigned.

SCMatt33
03-15-2016, 08:14 PM

(I still recall Jason Williams response in 2001 when the crowd at college park told him Duke was overrated. If they didn't get the message in the next 54 seconds, they got it at that final 4.) So go ahead, call us overrated.

I sincerely hope this isn't bulletin board material. I would be severely disappointed to find out that anyone inside the program read this, especially this week.

jv001
03-15-2016, 08:40 PM
The author of this article is Chris Chase. He used to write little opinion articles for yahoo.
He was so bad at his job (inconsistent logic and horrid writing skills), that the comments on his articles were filled with nothing but mocking and calls for his termination.

There was even a popular "Fire Chris Chase" facebook group. It ended when he left yahoo, but his work has already garnered yet another fledgling group.

www.facebook.com/fire.chris.chase/info/?tab=page_info

Here's an article about the hate Chris Chase receives on his articles.

http://www.cjr.org/full_court_press/the_most_hated_blogger_in_amer.php

He's a hack writer, but is the poster-boy for the "If he can do it, then anyone can do it" aspiring sports journalist.

He must have gotten his degree from Uncheat University along with hundreds of other so called journalists. I guess the paperless classes paid off for many of them. GoDuke!

JNort
03-15-2016, 09:25 PM
I know I've said it several times during the game chats and I'm probably just a complete Homer looking through several layers of blue glasses.... but I think we are one of the top 5 teams in the country when we play our game offensively and put together some defense. I like our chances this year but don't think bowing out in the sweet 16 is dissapointing this year even though I said top 5 yadda yadda. No matter what happens or how we end this season I love this team and think it was one of our more "interesting" seasons.

dball
03-15-2016, 10:20 PM
I'll be very satisfied with a Sweet 16, whelmed (neither over nor under) with a 2nd-round exit, and disappointed but not shocked by a first-round bow-out.

If you are whelmed you are by definition overwhelmed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Can you believe this??? (http://mentalfloss.com/article/62230/stories-behind-all-68-march-madness-mascots?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link) #55? I bet Coach K printed this out and put it in each locker before practice today.

devildeac
03-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I'm going to call bovine shenanigans on this article as I'm still partial to this mascot:

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1151&t=1

El_Diablo
03-16-2016, 12:20 AM
More bulletin board material!

Link (http://sketchuptut.com/sites/default/files/resource-image/Cork_sketchup_warehouse_material_type11.jpg)

CameronBlue
03-16-2016, 01:35 AM
More bulletin board material!

Link (http://sketchuptut.com/sites/default/files/resource-image/Cork_sketchup_warehouse_material_type11.jpg)

Cork or maybe Masonite