PDA

View Full Version : New No. 1 draft pick?

Olympic Fan
03-15-2016, 03:52 PM
It's just one site, but Draft Express has just revised its 2016 mock draft. After months of it being a forgone conclusion that Ben Simmons would go No. 1, Draft Express has a new pick to the be top player taken -- Duke's Brandon Ingram:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/list/

FWIW, Draft Express did the same thing at about this time last year, flipping Jahlil Okafor -- the presumed No. 1 for months -- for Kentucky's Karl Anthony Towns (who was, in fact, the first player taken).

jv001
03-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Grayson at #29 has me hoping he might just stay for his junior year and maybe even his senior year. Simmons stock has really gone down. I also noticed that California has 2 picks listed in the first round and one in the 2nd round. Might wish I had picked them higher in my brackets. GoDuke!

Doria
03-15-2016, 04:13 PM
I'm a little inclined to think those rankings reflects LSU's end of the season, and also continued commentary about Ingram with the NCAAT previews. It isn't like I'd disagree with taking Ingram over Simmons, but it's also not like I'd be exactly shocked if Simmons went first. I don't even know who has the top pick this year.

Ichabod Drain
03-15-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm a little inclined to think those rankings reflects LSU's end of the season, and also continued commentary about Ingram with the NCAAT previews. It isn't like I'd disagree with taking Ingram over Simmons, but it's also not like I'd be exactly shocked if Simmons went first. I don't even know who has the top pick this year.

Draftexpress is one of the most connected draft sites, if Givony moves Ingram up to #1 it's because of what he's hearing from his NBA contacts. That doesn't mean Ingram is a lock by any means but it's a good sign for Brandon.

Aside from what you see on the court, one thing to note is Brandon is 14 months younger than Simmons. That's a pretty big difference when predicting future development.

cato
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Draftexpress is one of the most connected draft sites, if Givony moves Ingram up to #1 it's because of what he's hearing from his NBA contacts. That doesn't mean Ingram is a lock by any means but it's a good sign for Brandon.

Aside from what you see on the court, one thing to note is Brandon is 14 months younger than Simmons. That's a pretty big difference when predicting future development.

Also, Coach K has had nothing but excellent things to say about Brandon's BB intelligence and work ethic. Put that together with Brandon's ability to be a one of, but not the only, focal point on a successful team that has faced adversity, and it is quite a contrast to the possible concerns emerging about Simmons.

BeachBlueDevil
03-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Grayson at #29 has me hoping he might just stay for his junior year and maybe even his senior year. Simmons stock has really gone down. I also noticed that California has 2 picks listed in the first round and one in the 2nd round. Might wish I had picked them higher in my brackets. GoDuke!

I hope GA stays, but next years draft class looks to be stacked and GA might hurt his stock if he doesn't go this year..... He could lift his stock if Duke hangs around in the tourney and he has some big games, kind of like Tyus Jones did last year.

Tom B.
03-15-2016, 05:06 PM
I don't even know who has the top pick this year.

It's not decided yet. We won't know until the draft lottery occurs, which will be sometime after the NBA regular season concludes.

Edouble
03-15-2016, 05:24 PM
It's not decided yet. We won't know until the draft lottery occurs, which will be sometime after the NBA regular season concludes.

May 17th.

Beware of frozen envelopes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 05:39 PM
Simmons doesn't pass the "eyeball" test to me. His hustle is rare and he doesn't move without the ball. His attitude seems to lack the competitiveness necessary to succeed at the next level. He hasn't been "tested" much, due to LSU's unimpressive schedule and he won't get to prove himself on the national stage in the coming weeks.

Contrast with Ingram, who has by all accounts improved as the season has worn on. His defense has gotten indisputably better. He crashes the boards - even on his own shots, which is a dying art to say the least. He has proven the ability to take over a game with his offense, and to defer to his teammates. I may be wrong, I don't have the stats, but his mid-to-long-range shot seems have have improved substantially.

I guess you look at things differently when you are drafting a "franchise player," but if you asked me which guy I'd like to have as a teammate, there's no question.

DISCLAIMER: Having said all that, I think Brandon Ingram would really benefit from another year of tutelage under K:rolleyes::cool:

wavedukefan70s
03-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Simmons doesn't shoot as far out as ingram.i belive it will be need based.does the team need a inside oriented player or a more wing forward.

duke4ever19
03-15-2016, 06:38 PM
May 17th.

Beware of frozen envelopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1kMlG8c7Y

nmduke2001
03-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Simmons doesn't pass the "eyeball" test to me. His hustle is rare and he doesn't move without the ball. His attitude seems to lack the competitiveness necessary to succeed at the next level. He hasn't been "tested" much, due to LSU's unimpressive schedule and he won't get to prove himself on the national stage in the coming weeks.

Contrast with Ingram, who has by all accounts improved as the season has worn on. His defense has gotten indisputably better. He crashes the boards - even on his own shots, which is a dying art to say the least. He has proven the ability to take over a game with his offense, and to defer to his teammates. I may be wrong, I don't have the stats, but his mid-to-long-range shot seems have have improved substantially.

I guess you look at things differently when you are drafting a "franchise player," but if you asked me which guy I'd like to have as a teammate, there's no question.

DISCLAIMER: Having said all that, I think Brandon Ingram would really benefit from another year of tutelage under K:rolleyes::cool:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-ben-simmons-isn-t-the-top-prospect-in-the-2016-nba-draft-190023711.html

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2016, 06:56 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-ben-simmons-isn-t-the-top-prospect-in-the-2016-nba-draft-190023711.html

Nifty. I could have written this article.

NashvilleDevil
03-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Nifty. I could have written this article.

I did enjoy the knock against Jeff Goodman though. He has been the one that has made these ridiculous comparisons for Simmons. I think he ends up having a Joe Smith like NBA career, not terrible and not great. I do think Ingram or Jamal Murray could end up having the best careers of this draft class.

Tom B.
03-16-2016, 10:51 AM
I did enjoy the knock against Jeff Goodman though. He has been the one that has made these ridiculous comparisons for Simmons. I think he ends up having a Joe Smith like NBA career, not terrible and not great. I do think Ingram or Jamal Murray could end up having the best careers of this draft class.

The whole Ben Simmons experience is starting to remind me of Kris Humphries a decade or so ago. Are there any Kardashians left for Ben to marry?

Indoor66
03-16-2016, 11:24 AM
The whole Ben Simmons experience is starting to remind me of Kris Humphries a decade or so ago. Are there any Kardashians left for Ben to marry?

Willy wrote one about this: "Much Ado About Nothing".

TKG
03-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Are there any Kardashians left for Ben to marry?

Give it time.........

DukieInBrasil
03-19-2016, 08:08 PM
I know he's not really part of this conversation, but what happened to the draft prospects of one Skal Labissiere? Now that his collegiate season is over, what's the prognostication? I remember hearing a lot about him pre-season, and then he had a very mediocre game vs. Duke early, got moved out of the starting line up at one point, and i just don't remember hearing much about him during the season. His final game was underwhelming, certainly for someone with 1st Rd Draft pick aspirations.

Bob Green
03-19-2016, 08:14 PM
...what happened to the draft prospects of one Skal Labissiere?

1. Draft Express has him at #10.
2. NBA Draft has him at #11.
3. Sports Illustrated has him at #9.

Troublemaker
03-19-2016, 08:20 PM
I know he's not really part of this conversation, but what happened to the draft prospects of one Skal Labissiere? Now that his collegiate season is over, what's the prognostication? I remember hearing a lot about him pre-season, and then he had a very mediocre game vs. Duke early, got moved out of the starting line up at one point, and i just don't remember hearing much about him during the season. His final game was underwhelming, certainly for someone with 1st Rd Draft pick aspirations.

He's still widely expected to leave and be a mid-first rounder and possibly much higher after workouts.

Newton_14
03-19-2016, 09:15 PM
He's still widely expected to leave and be a mid-first rounder and possibly much higher after workouts.
Which is incredulous given how he performed all year.

We live in crazy times. Kids that need 2 or 3 more years to improve their game, and mature mentally and physically enter the draft (a lot of whom don't even get drafted) and mediocrie NFL QB's are getting $25gazillion million dollar contracts... Unicorns will be real before we know it. :)

Furniture
03-20-2016, 02:37 PM
Crazy life it is. One month you are a college kid living in dorms and eating college food then all of a sudden you are stashing away 500k a month....mind blowing really.

uh_no
03-20-2016, 02:40 PM
Crazy life it is. One month you are a college kid living in dorms and eating college food then all of a sudden you are stashing away 500k a month...mind blowing really.

which makes me wonder, if kids can go undrafted, or whatever, and spend 2 or 3 years working their way up the D league, how is the D league not a "viable minor league", and if that is the case, why should they go to college at all? Doesn't it make the "pay the players" argument break down if they have a viable "get paid now" option?

gocanes0506
03-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Philly will improve getting a guy like Brandon but man I hate it for Brandon. Going to Philly, ooof.

tulsuduke
03-20-2016, 03:46 PM
What separates BI from Simmons is Ingram has that "Gimme the daggum ball and get out of the way" gene that all superstars in the pros need. Simmons can be a great 2nd star on your team and could be a nightmare matchup at point guard. I'm not sure if he either doesn't have that killer instinct or he didn't show it because he played for LSU and in a non-basketball conference.

Indoor66
03-20-2016, 03:55 PM
What separates BI from Simmons is Ingram has that "Gimme the daggum ball and get out of the way" gene that all superstars in the pros need. Simmons can be a great 2nd star on your team and could be a nightmare matchup at point guard. I'm not sure if he either doesn't have that killer instinct or he didn't show it because he played for LSU and in a non-basketball conference.

I agree with you on the gene. As to your third sentence, I lean more toward the former rather than the latter. He just doesn't seem to have that oomph that is required to excel at the highest levels.