PDA

View Full Version : The 25 Most Dominant Men's College Basketball Programs

devildeac
03-15-2016, 02:11 PM
From Business Insider.

You'll have to scroll down quite a bit (or up quite a bit, depending on your perspective-no spoilers from me):

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dominant-mens-college-basketball-programs-2016-3

Enjoy.

;)

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2016, 02:18 PM
From Business Insider.

You'll have to scroll down quite a bit (or up quite a bit, depending on your perspective-no spoilers from me):

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-dominant-mens-college-basketball-programs-2016-3

Enjoy.

;)

Cool list. And no real surprises in the top 10 (other than Indiana and UCLA not being part of it).

Question: how does Louisville print money? Is the YUM Brand naming rights? UL nearly has double the revenue as UK. Is that right?

wilson
03-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Cool list. And no real surprises in the top 10 (other than Indiana and UCLA not being part of it).

Question: how does Louisville print money? Is the YUM Brand naming rights? UL nearly has double the revenue as UK. Is that right?I think most of it is in singles.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 02:53 PM
I think most of it is in singles.

I can't spork you, but your delicate touch is perfect.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Can't spork either, but that comment just made my day.

-jk
03-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Four of the top six. Not bad, ACC...

-jk

Bluegrassdevil1
03-15-2016, 03:07 PM

Question: how does Louisville print money? Is the YUM Brand naming rights? UL nearly has double the revenue as UK. Is that right?

UK more has fans/donors, but U of L has a SIGNIFICANT advantage in terms of the wealth/power of their alumni.

The Yum generates an enormous amount of money for the university, but ironically, costs the state a great deal, and continues to do so, which indirectly cuts into the state funds given to UK.

Rupp does not have suites; it truly is a dump that houses a truly strong basketball program.

Aside from the first two or three rows, Rupp Arena is full of genuine UK fans; The Yum is over-stuffed with corporate donors, with genuine fans pushed higher than in Rupp (think the Dump on the Hump, but with modern acoustics).

It is quite expensive to own season tickets to UK, but to obtain U of L season tickets has an ENORMOUS cost, parking is insane, and the concessions are very, very upscale for a college program, which permits companies like Papa Johns, Woodford Reserve, Yum, to give a little bit more to the university.

And most importantly...

Basketball is a religion in North Carolina and Indiana, but it is a total and full cult in Kentucky, and the Louisville cultists have more in their pockets than the UK Kool-Aid drinkers.

MartyClark
03-15-2016, 03:16 PM

One of my buddies is a Louisville insider. He attributes their financial edge to their ability to sell alcohol at the games. I went to the Duke game at Louisville with him last year and observed/participated in the vendors selling beer/wine/mixed drinks etc. I don't know how much of an edge that is, but it's clearly a factor.

devildeac
03-15-2016, 03:23 PM
I think most of it is in singles.

I had to clean up my lapdance, err, laptop after that post. :o

devildeac
03-15-2016, 03:24 PM

Can't spork either, but that comment just made my day.

I took care of him. Spork-wise I mean :o .

weezie
03-15-2016, 04:11 PM
I took care of him. Spork-wise I mean :o .

Ai-yi-yi! :eek:

TexHawk
03-15-2016, 04:19 PM
There's all kinds of funny accounting in these lists. For example, Kansas always shows up lower on these lists because of the way they allocate donor donations/ticket purchases toward revenue. (Or at least they did 4-5 years ago, last time I checked.)

DukeFanSince1990
03-15-2016, 04:23 PM
From Business Insider.

Enjoy.

;)

Let me guess, you heard Pitino say that Forbes had Louisville as the number one revenue maker and you decided to research? I heard that on Mike and Mike and and questioned it. I guess he was right.

devildeac
03-15-2016, 09:56 PM
Let me guess, you heard Pitino say that Forbes had Louisville as the number one revenue maker and you decided to research? I heard that on Mike and Mike and and questioned it. I guess he was right.

Actually, a friend who has me on his Duke SID email list sent me the link. Couldn't resist sharing since we were #1 ;) .

Besides, tricky Rick wouldn't know that kind of stuff anyway as he's so good at delegating :rolleyes: .