PDA

View Full Version : Pitino Throws Shade At Kentucky

Atlanta Duke
03-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Rick Pitino was interviewed on Mike & Mike regarding the strippers scandal today. After explaining that none of this is his fault since he had others in place who were supposed to prevent this sort of trouble, Pitino decided to throw out this nugget while pinning the blame on grad assistant Andre McGee

"If I could just get Andre McGee in a room for 10 minutes, I would say to him 'why would you do this? What purpose did it serve? We didn't need this to get recruits.' We're not Kentucky where we're recruiting the one-and-dones," Pitino said. "We have a different way we recruit."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14976079/louisville-cardinals-coach-rick-pitino-said-had-people-place-prevent-scandal

Look forward to hearing if Cal has a reply

JasonEvans
03-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Rick Pitino was interviewed on Mike & Mike regarding the strippers scandal today. After explaining that none of this is his fault since he had others in place who were supposed to prevent this sort of trouble, Pitino decided to throw out this nugget while pinning the blame on grad assistant Andre McGee

"If I could just get Andre McGee in a room for 10 minutes, I would say to him 'why would you do this? What purpose did it serve? We didn't need this to get recruits.' We're not Kentucky where we're recruiting the one-and-dones," Pitino said. "We have a different way we recruit."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14976079/louisville-cardinals-coach-rick-pitino-said-had-people-place-prevent-scandal

Damion Lee and Trey Lewis, who each spent exactly one year in the Louisville program, say hi.

But, I guess 5th year transfers are not the same as a one-and-done freshman. Want to know why Pitino does not get one-and-done freshmen? Because he cannot lure them to his program. He has tried, but he always comes up short to the other elite recruiting programs.

Louisville offered one-and-done Trey Lyles and D'Angelo Russell. They offered scholarships to current recruits DaArron Fox, Dennis Smith, and Markelle Fultz, all of whom are top 10 recruits expected to be one-and-done. In the 2017 class, Louisville has offers out to 4 top 10 recruits -- Bamaba, Diallo, Duvall, and Brown -- all of whom are likely one-and-done players.

So, while Pitino may be trying to appear holier than thou, the real truth is that he would gladly take the kids Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and others are recruiting... if he could get them.

-Jason "as I said on the podcast (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/episode-49-selection-sunday), Pitino maynot survive much longer and I expect his former assistant and current UNC-W coach Kevin Keatts to be a strong contender for the job" Evans

FerryFor50
03-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Pitino is hilarious.

They don't recruit one and dones because they can't compete for them.

When Pitino was at Kentucky, they absolutely recruited guys who could have been one and dones had the trend been en vogue back then. If Pitino was still at Kentucky, he'd be recruiting one and dones because those are the best available players.

Also, hilarious that he "didn't know."

CDu
03-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Pitino is hilarious.

They don't recruit one and dones because they can't compete for them.

When Pitino was at Kentucky, they absolutely recruited guys who could have been one and dones had the trend been en vogue back then. If Pitino was still at Kentucky, he'd be recruiting one and dones because those are the best available players.

Also, hilarious that he "didn't know."

Yeah, it takes a great deal of suspension of disbelief to buy into what Pitino is saying. The more realistic scenario is as follows:
- Pitino tells McGee to do whatever it takes to get recruits to come to Louisville, but that he doesn't want to know the specifics
- McGee is put into contact with a booster, who provides money to do whatever it takes

Now that the program has been busted, Pitino is simply playing the deniability card. McGee becomes the program's fall guy. Pitino is just selling it as best he can. It's dirty management 101: create plausible deniability for yourself in advance, then dissociate yourself from the problem after the fact.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it takes a great deal of suspension of disbelief to buy into what Pitino is saying. The more realistic scenario is as follows:
- Pitino tells McGee to do whatever it takes to get recruits to come to Louisville, but that he doesn't want to know the specifics
- McGee is put into contact with a booster, who provides money to do whatever it takes

Now that the program has been busted, Pitino is simply playing the deniability card. McGee becomes the program's fall guy. Pitino is just selling it as best he can. It's dirty management 101: create plausible deniability for yourself in advance, then dissociate yourself from the problem after the fact.

I think this is right on the money. I actually don't believe Pitino knew about the strippers, but I'm positive he knew about illegal/shady shenanigans and didn't want to know the specifics. You in, in case these shady shenanigans ever got disclosed ;)

diablesseblu
03-15-2016, 11:52 AM

Sounds like what's been happening to the west on 15-501.

rocketeli
03-15-2016, 11:57 AM

I mean...isn't that what Italian restaurants are for?

BandAlum83
03-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Is anyone else appalled and offended at the implication that particularly talented young men, those with the talent to go immediately to the NBA, would expect, demand, desire or require strippers and/or sexual favors to attend a school. While multi year talent doesn't? "We aren't recruiting OADs", therefore we do t need to do this.

Are there profile differences to these groups that can be otherwise discerned? What, exactly, is he saying here? I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but Pitino's feet appear to be planted on a very slippery slope.

CDu
03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Is anyone else appalled and offended at the implication that particularly talented young men, those with the talent to go immediately to the NBA, would expect, demand, desire or require strippers and/or sexual favors to attend a school. While multi year talent doesn't? "We aren't recruiting OADs", therefore we do t need to do this.

Are there profile differences to these groups that can be otherwise discerned? What, exactly, is he saying here? I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but Pitino's feet appear to be planted on a very slippery slope.

I think the argument is not that top recruits have different preferences than lesser recruits when it comes to what attracts them to a school. I think the point he's making is that Louisville doesn't need to pull out all the stops to recruit lesser-name guys (because they'll presumably be competing with less talented schools), whereas they may need to go over the top to get the top guys.

CDu
03-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Sounds like what's been happening to the west on 15-501.

I'm quite sure it happens at lots of places. That's not meant to be an excuse - just a reality of organizational structure when the folks at or near the top are willing to put success over ethics.

davekay1971
03-15-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm quite sure it happens at lots of places. That's not meant to be an excuse - just a reality of organizational structure when the folks at or near the top are willing to put success over ethics.

I'm going to ask the mods to move this comment to the OT board's 2016 Prez race thread. Seems appropriate there, too.

I listened to that interview with Pitino and it was just a lousy finger-pointing job. The Graduate Assistant did it! I'm not sure if Pitino could have thrown the GA's full name in the interview more often than he did, but he never missed an opportunity to say the name Andre McGee.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm going to ask the mods to move this comment to the OT board's 2016 Prez race thread. Seems appropriate there, too.

I listened to that interview with Pitino and it was just a lousy finger-pointing job. The Graduate Assistant did it! I'm not sure if Pitino could have thrown the GA's full name in the interview more often than he did, but he never missed an opportunity to say the name Andre McGee.

I kinda wanna read Andre McGee's expense statements. What did he put down for the thousands of dollars he spent on "entertainment"? Did he write down "party favors", or "Subject 1, 2 & 3", or "Adult supervision", or "Lady friends"? These are important questions that we need answers to!

Bluegrassdevil1
03-15-2016, 01:24 PM
U of L and Pitino ABSOLUTELY recruit one-and-dones; some of which attended UK.

My favorite part of the interview was his statement that U of L has had the highest team/conference GPA in three different conferences (Big East, AAC, and ACC).

I love my hometown, and many of my family and friends have attended U of L, but getting a high course score in good old southwest Louisville is not the same as achieving a high score at MANY other universities.

It is easy to dislike many, many other coaches, but Pitino is the only coach where I have heard fans of his teams openly say, "yeah, I cannot stand that guy." And that was before Karen Sypher and Andre McGee.

Rich
03-15-2016, 01:43 PM

Wow, Grayson Allen just keeps getting blamed for all sorts of nasty things!

oldnavy
03-15-2016, 01:56 PM
I'd like to offer up an example of leadership that argues against the notion that some have regarding Head Coaches and their responsibility for knowing what is going on in their programs.

I was stationed at a shore command in Florida. The CO was working at his desk, when he happened to overhear a conversation between his secretary and the XO's administrative assistant in the anteroom outside his door. What the CO overheard was the XO's assistant say something along the line of "his girlfriend came by again today...".

The XO was married, so this piqued the CO's curiosity. He called the XO's assistant into his office and asked her to repeat what she had said. The assistant tried to play it off, but the CO insisted. When she told the CO, he asked why she would say that. The assistant just mentioned that a female junior officer (JO) came by to see the XO on occasion. Now, this would not be unusual if the JO had a reason to be reporting directly to the XO (chair of a committee or a collateral duty), but this was not the case and the assistant confirmed that the visits seemed to be social in nature. The CO also knew that the XO had recently been deployed with this JO... so, hummm... he investigated.

The CO had the IT techs pull the XO's email account and low and behold, there was a trail of incriminating evidence that clearly outlined an inappropriate relationship between the XO and the JO (fraternization, adultery). The CO confronted the XO with this and the XO admitted all. The end result was that the XO was forced to retire at a rank below (O5) his current rank of O-6.

The point is.... it is hard to keep a secret in an organization. It is next to impossible to keep a secret if leadership of the organization is engaged and wants to know what is going on.

So I find it unacceptable when I hear the coaches of 13-15 players play off their responsibility for keeping track of what is happening in their programs. If they don't know when something this big is going on, then IMO they are negligent. If they are aware and take no action then they are no less guilty than the persons directly doing the misdeeds.

Pitino can claim he didn't know. I don't believe it. Roy can claim he didn't know. I don't believe it. We are not talking about one kid going off on their own to the strip club... or in UNC's case ditching class.... these were both reoccurring, systemic issues.

But if you choose to believe either or both of them, how can you excuse them NOT knowing?

I can't because I know that engaged leadership sets the tone of the organization and is aware of what is the good, the bad and the ugly of their "commands".

They are responsible any way I slice it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2016, 02:09 PM
I'd like to offer up an example of leadership that argues against the notion that some have regarding Head Coaches and their responsibility for knowing what is going on in their programs.

I was stationed at a shore command in Florida. The CO was working at his desk, when he happened to overhear a conversation between his secretary and the XO's administrative assistant in the anteroom outside his door. What the CO overheard was the XO's assistant say something along the line of "his girlfriend came by again today...".

The XO was married, so this piqued the CO's curiosity. He called the XO's assistant into his office and asked her to repeat what she had said. The assistant tried to play it off, but the CO insisted. When she told the CO, he asked why she would say that. The assistant just mentioned that a female junior officer (JO) came by to see the XO on occasion. Now, this would not be unusual if the JO had a reason to be reporting directly to the XO (chair of a committee or a collateral duty), but this was not the case and the assistant confirmed that the visits seemed to be social in nature. The CO also knew that the XO had recently been deployed with this JO... so, hummm... he investigated.

The CO had the IT techs pull the XO's email account and low and behold, there was a trail of incriminating evidence that clearly outlined an inappropriate relationship between the XO and the JO (fraternization, adultery). The CO confronted the XO with this and the XO admitted all. The end result was that the XO was forced to retire at a rank below (O5) his current rank of O-6.

The point is... it is hard to keep a secret in an organization. It is next to impossible to keep a secret if leadership of the organization is engaged and wants to know what is going on.

So I find it unacceptable when I hear the coaches of 13-15 players play off their responsibility for keeping track of what is happening in their programs. If they don't know when something this big is going on, then IMO they are negligent. If they are aware and take no action then they are no less guilty than the persons directly doing the misdeeds.

Pitino can claim he didn't know. I don't believe it. Roy can claim he didn't know. I don't believe it. We are not talking about one kid going off on their own to the strip club... or in UNC's case ditching class... these were both reoccurring, systemic issues.

But if you choose to believe either or both of them, how can you excuse them NOT knowing?

I can't because I know that engaged leadership sets the tone of the organization and is aware of what is the good, the bad and the ugly of their "commands".

They are responsible any way I slice it.

ON - I, like you, think that accountability should also come from the top. CEOs get blamed for everything - major or minor - that goes on in company. Obama gets blamed for every political screw up. Coaches should get blamed and held accountable for whatever goes on in their program.

It's why I think Pitino, Ole Roy, (especially) Paterno, et al should all be held responsible. The "I didn't know" argument is so pathetic and childish. If a cheating scandal, illegal recruiting scandal, or (God forbid) pedophile scandal were to erupt within the Duke men's basketball program, I'd like to think that Coach K would be the first to admit that he is in the wrong. Hopefully, this type of scandal will never happen at this program.

Tom B.
03-15-2016, 02:24 PM
The talking heads are still busy falling over themselves about how "unfair" Louisville's self-imposed punishment is to the "kids" on the team. But sooner or later, doesn't someone have to realize that the scandal could put Louisville's 2013 national title in jeopardy?

I mean, we're not talking about $100 handshakes from some booster with a slush fund -- we're talking about an assistant coach doling out cash and lining up hookers. Setting aside the fact that several crimes were committed, doesn't that have to be considered "impermissible benefits?" And it's pretty much established that the recipients of the, um....benefits included members of the 2013 title team, right? So if we're talking about something that could call their eligibility into question, doesn't that mean that the possibility of vacating wins and post-season results also has to be on the table?

TruBlu
03-15-2016, 02:28 PM
The talking heads are still busy falling over themselves about how "unfair" Louisville's self-imposed punishment is to the "kids" on the team. But sooner or later, doesn't someone have to realize that the scandal could put Louisville's 2013 national title in jeopardy?

I mean, we're not talking about $100 handshakes from some booster with a slush fund -- we're talking about an assistant coach doling out cash and lining up hookers. Setting aside the fact that several crimes were committed, doesn't that have to be considered "impermissible benefits?" And it's pretty much established that the recipients of the, um...benefits included members of the 2013 title team, right? So if we're talking about something that could call their eligibility into question, doesn't that mean that the possibility of vacating wins and post-season results also has to be on the table?

That is probably why they self imposed post season ban this year. Trying to keep that banner.

BD80
03-15-2016, 02:41 PM
I mean...isn't that what Italian restaurants are for?

Pitino can claim he didn't know. I don't believe it. Roy can claim he didn't know. I don't believe it. ...

At least we know where Pitino's head was ...

Pghdukie
03-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Pitino reminds me of an old Pitt FB coach - "Not My Fault Walt Harris"