PDA

View Full Version : Wall Street Journal Anti-Duke. I'm not kidding.

Pomona
03-15-2016, 12:16 AM
http://graphics.wsj.com/ncaa-madness-machine-2016/

Anti- Duke bias option? Really. You may need a password, ask your boss if you don't have one, and check out their march madness machine. It predicts the brackets based on your criteria regarding free throw shooting, defense etc and the last question is yes/no. Do you want the anti-Duke bias feature turned on? Duke is the only school which is singled out. Ouch.

sagegrouse
03-15-2016, 12:21 AM

Anti- Duke bias option? Really. You may need a password, ask your boss if you don't have one, and check out their march madness machine. It predicts the brackets based on your criteria regarding free throw shooting, defense etc and the last question is yes/no. Do you want the anti-Duke bias feature turned on? Duke is the only school which is singled out. Ouch.

Isn't this an honor, kinda like Christian Laettner campaigning for and winning "the most hated college basketball player of all time?"

mo.st.dukie
03-15-2016, 12:25 AM
yeah, I think that's kind of a "good" thing. Duke transcends the sport. It's not just people hating a winner, there are other programs that win just as much. I think this is a pretty good indication there's something different about Duke, whether it's the elite academics, the longevity of Coach K, the (incorrect) perception of privilege and favoritism, it's not a big state school that everyone can relate to, etc. Duke is in a category all its own. The WSJ recognizes that with Duke you either love them or you hate them and it's something that drives the sport and makes a lot of money, ESPN has long recognized this fact.

DukieInKansas
03-15-2016, 12:27 AM
I think it is hysterical.

jacone21
03-15-2016, 12:37 AM
At least it defaults to OFF. Duke pretty much owns the soul of anyone who toggles it to ON.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 08:18 AM
Isn't this an honor, kinda like Christian Laettner campaigning for and winning "the most hated college basketball player of all time?"

No, it is deadly serious and a great rationale for fanbase outrage! Haven't you been paying attention?

I think it is funny.

BeachBlueDevil
03-15-2016, 08:33 AM

It should be an honor and as the kids say, "they hate us cuz they ain't us."

budwom
03-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Nancy Armour, a mediocre writer for USA Today, had her annual anti Duke comment today (she'll have more, don't worry).
""It is your civic duty to hate Duke. Along with voting, paying taxes, of course.....Grayson Allen ratchets up the
loathing to new levels this year.....the 2016 version of Christian Laettner...everyone still hates him."

77devil
03-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Nancy Armour, a mediocre writer for USA Today, had her annual anti Duke comment today (she'll have more, don't worry).
""It is your civic duty to hate Duke. Along with voting, paying taxes, of course....Grayson Allen ratchets up the
loathing to new levels this year....the 2016 version of Christian Laettner...everyone still hates him."

Badge of honor.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Game respects game. The rest are haters.

(Not sure what that means but it felt right to type)

Indoor66
03-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too profound for my comprehension. :confused: :cool:

Henderson
03-15-2016, 09:43 AM

That's the kind brilliant thought that pops into your head at 2 am, and you wish you had written it down. You can't remember why it was so brilliant, but you know it was.

BandAlum83
03-15-2016, 10:33 AM
It should be an honor and as the kids say, "they hate us cuz they ain't us."

That hate us for our freedom

johnb
03-15-2016, 10:38 AM
I think it's funny.

And when I turned on the anti-Duke bias, we still beat Baylor...

OldPhiKap
03-15-2016, 10:52 AM
That hate us for our freedom

And if you don't laugh, the terrapins win.

DukeFanSince1990
03-15-2016, 11:03 AM
I think it's funny.

And when I turned on the anti-Duke bias, we still beat Baylor...

Well in that case:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 11:05 AM
And if you don't laugh, the terrapins win.

Like I always say when it comes to UM fans - if you smells something, say something.

blazindw
03-15-2016, 11:12 AM
They're just mad they don't have one of these in their closet.

moonpie23
03-15-2016, 12:26 PM
all my hater tears flow to me......

love it....just absolutely LOVE it...

COYS
03-15-2016, 01:16 PM
yeah, I think that's kind of a "good" thing. Duke transcends the sport. It's not just people hating a winner, there are other programs that win just as much. I think this is a pretty good indication there's something different about Duke, whether it's the elite academics, the longevity of Coach K, the (incorrect) perception of privilege and favoritism, it's not a big state school that everyone can relate to, etc. Duke is in a category all its own. The WSJ recognizes that with Duke you either love them or you hate them and it's something that drives the sport and makes a lot of money, ESPN has long recognized this fact.

Well, to be fair, I'm not sure that there really is a school that wins just as much . . . definitely not since K took the helm. Sure there are arbitrary 5 or 10 year periods when other schools have matched or exceeded our championship totals, but going back to K's first season, there really isn't any competition. I mean, K's career numbers speak for themselves.

weezie
03-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Well, to be fair, I'm not sure that there really is a school that wins just as much...

Yes, fair is nice and all but not too many think fairly towards us. Fine by me.

Mike Corey
03-15-2016, 09:48 PM
FWIW, the WSJ sports pages employ two former Chronicle sports editors.

Son of Jarhead
03-16-2016, 01:13 AM
Ran it with out changing anything and got Kentucky one time and UNC the next. Ran that a third time with the anti-Duke bias on and I got Oklahoma. -Change everything equally and leave March Madness at 0 and I got Villanova one time and Virginia the next. Ran that again with the anti-Duke bias on and I got West Virginia. -Ran it twice with it skewed to offense and 3-pointers, and with March Madness on full and got Indiana and Michigan. Then I added in the College Booster, picking Duke (of course), and got Iowa State and then Texas A&M. Then turned the anti-duke bias on and got Miami and then Notre Dame. (And in that Notre Dame one, we lost to them in the title game.)

3 of the 5 times it had Duke get past Baylor for me was when the "anti-Duke bias" was on.

12 runs through, 12 different winners. And I didn't get the "experts" picks of Michigan State or Kansas. :confused:

dukelifer
03-16-2016, 06:47 AM

Well there are only two types of fans in the world- those that have a Duke bias and those that don't. No other team in college ball is that polarizing. When Duke is no longer relevant to deserve a button- then we have problems.

OldPhiKap
03-16-2016, 07:38 AM
Well there are only two types of fans in the world- those that have a Duke bias and those that don't. No other team in college ball is that polarizing. When Duke is no longer relevant to deserve a button- then we have problems.

Exactly. I have not heard "somebody needs to beat UCLA" in quite some time.

MCFinARL
03-16-2016, 08:20 AM
At least it defaults to OFF. Duke pretty much owns the soul of anyone who toggles it to ON.

This is so true, and why, in the end, we should be cheered by anti-Duke bias rather than dismayed.

And at least they did label it "anti-Duke bias," thus acknowledging it is something less than rational.

duke blue brewcrew
03-16-2016, 08:52 AM

I could not agree more with these two fine posters, my thoughts exactly. "They hate us, because they ain't us" is a phrase that comes to mind. Ultimately, it's a sign of respect and an acknowledgement of success. The "UH-OH" moment for Duke fans, is when stuff like this goes away and fans are no longer concerned about the Blue Devils.

weezie
03-16-2016, 09:38 AM
FWIW, the WSJ sports pages employ two former Chronicle sports editors.

Although one of the featured writers, Jason Gay, is not a Duke man, he's one of the best sports people around. Good sense of humor but also able to cut through the baloney.
The two Duke grads must enjoy the general abuse. I know I would.

...12 runs through, 12 different winners...

Now THIS is a Duke fan. Good work!

Bluedog
03-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Here's an interesting article: Love Duke? Hate Duke? How do Americans really feel? (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/love-duke--hate-duke--how-do-americans-really-feel-221333254.html)

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xee4xVxvKSrEPsGwyNiMew--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2016-03-10/714d3120-e712-11e5-880b-673d8aa38e1f_duke-debate-infographic.jpg

LEGEND!! Poor North Carolina...nobody cares about them. ;) Clearly, people have the strongest opinions on Duke and Kentucky across the country.

rdgilby
03-16-2016, 11:01 AM
Ironically, I had a meeting with a reporter at the WSJ yesterday, Sharon Terlep, who is coming off their sports beat. It didn't take us long to get into a college basketball conversation.

She was the editor of the Michigan State student paper during college and I gently teased her about how we seem to have the Spartans' number in the NCAA tourney. She told me a story about coming up with the headline "Devil's Night" to describe the game outcome (and subsequent riots) in 1999's final four.

All in good fun...

ice-9
03-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Love it! That anti-Duke button was tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at the idea someone could hate Duke so much to turn it on.

A huge compliment to single us out like that.

Mike Corey
03-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Although one of the featured writers, Jason Gay, is not a Duke man, he's one of the best sports people around. Good sense of humor but also able to cut through the baloney.

I know I'm not supposed to respond with a mere affirmation--that's what sporks are for, I know--but I couldn't help it on this point. I am embarrassed to tell you I just started reading his article this past year, after having heard him speak in Columbus as he was promoting his new book. He was just terrific--hilarious, insightful, eloquent, enjoyable, and charming. I now follow him avidly, and appreciate that other folks find him to be as good as he is.

The former Chroniclers--Andrew Beaton (https://twitter.com/andrewlbeaton) and Ben Cohen (https://twitter.com/bzcohen)--have a great role model in Gay from whom I'm sure they can learn much.

Atlanta Duke
03-16-2016, 08:06 PM
I do not know if the WSJ is Anti-Duke, but perhaps for lack of imagination or any compelling story lines this season the Journal certainly is focusing on Duke as part of its tournament coverage this year

Not certain if this article, which I guess runs in the March 17 print edition, is behind the WSJ paywall

The Complicated Politics of Hating Duke
For some high-profile people, loathing the Blue Devils can be a little awkward

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-complicated-politics-of-hating-duke-1458154496?tesla=y

The article includes quotes from several successful UNC grads spouting the usual cliches about their disdain for Duke - of course no references in the article to why they prefer to root for an athletic program mired in academic fraud for decades.

Bostondevil
03-16-2016, 09:11 PM

I'm stealing this. I do not feel guilty about it. I will, if pressed, admit the quote is not original with me.

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. Pablo Picasso

OldPhiKap
03-16-2016, 10:44 PM
I'm stealing this. I do not feel guilty about it. I will, if pressed, admit the quote is not original with me.

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. Pablo Picasso

Own it, it's yours. Playa.

BoiseDevil
03-16-2016, 10:53 PM

Ask yourself this, would you rather another team logo next to the button?

Not me. You hate us because you're worried you're not worthy...

Go Duke!!