PDA

View Full Version : What is/are your big 1st round upset(s)?

Wander
03-14-2016, 03:08 PM
I do this every year. 12s over 5s nearly always happen and don't count. You can pick more than one.

Wander
03-14-2016, 03:21 PM
My own pick: lots of people are pointing out that SF Austin hasn't lost a game in the year 2016, but even more importantly to me is that their margin of victory in every game since early February has been by 20 or more, with several of those wins coming by 35 points or more. They're consistently doing to bad teams exactly what a really good team should do to bad teams, have the experience of playing decently in their first round game of the tournament last year, are the most underseeded team in the bracket according to kenpom, and West Virginia's style may not be great for March depending on the officiating.

EDIT: I meant to allow people to see who voted for what in the poll, if a mod feels like changing that.

Troublemaker
03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Both eye test and stats tell me that Utah is very overseeded as a #3, so I went with Fresno St despite not knowing anything about the Bulldogs.

gurufrisbee
03-14-2016, 07:10 PM
TEams seeded 13-16 who I think are good enough to pull off an upset if they got the right match up: SFAustin, Stony Brook, Green Bay.

Teams seeded 1-4 who I think are questionable enough to get upset if they got the wrong match up: NC, Xavier, Nova, Cal, Utah

None of them are paired together. So my biggest upset pick is not in this poll.

JetpackJesus
03-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Aside from having something of a rooting interest now, I'm voting for Hawaii because they're actually a pretty decent basketball team. They had a real shot at beating Oklahoma this year when they lost by only 3. It may not be likely, but they are legitimately capable of the upset. I think they'll have some added motivation to do well because of the impending NCAA sanctions starting next year, too.

JNort
03-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Hawaii, Iona, Green Bay and SF Austin are all good picks imo

throatybeard
03-14-2016, 09:59 PM
My big first round upset is Weber State over North Carolina.

Bwuh, wait, were you talking about this year?

Rudy
03-14-2016, 10:04 PM
The only big upset I'm calling is Iona over Iowa State.

BeachBlueDevil
03-14-2016, 11:24 PM
I have a couple, but the one I'm really pulling for is Providence (if they beat USC) to beat UNC in the round of 32. I like what Providence does with a front court that can matchup with Brice Johnson and Kris Dunn is a steady hand that can do a little bit of every and I see him giving Paige a fit.

Wander
03-18-2016, 09:41 PM
My own pick: lots of people are pointing out that SF Austin hasn't lost a game in the year 2016, but even more importantly to me is that their margin of victory in every game since early February has been by 20 or more, with several of those wins coming by 35 points or more. They're consistently doing to bad teams exactly what a really good team should do to bad teams, have the experience of playing decently in their first round game of the tournament last year, are the most underseeded team in the bracket according to kenpom, and West Virginia's style may not be great for March depending on the officiating.

BAM. Killing it.

Also props to all the Hawaii picks.

Bostondevil
03-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Double digit seeds I picked in my pool:

Wichita State
Yale
Arkansas-Little Rock
VCU
Stephen F. Austin
Syracuse (10 seed, they count)
Gonzaga
Middle Tennessee State

Bostondevil
03-18-2016, 10:54 PM
Double digit seeds I picked in my pool:

Wichita State
Yale
Arkansas-Little Rock
VCU
Stephen F. Austin
Syracuse (10 seed, they count)
Gonzaga
Middle Tennessee State

7 truths and a lie. I picked the Spartans (and California and Texas Tech). But I only picked the Spartans to the Sweet 16, so, bracket not busted.

Right now though, Notre Dame and Texas are letting me down! C'mon Irish!

OZZIE4DUKE
03-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I just picked Middle Tennessee over Sparty. Or did you want me to do this yesterday? :rolleyes::cool:

throatybeard
03-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Ozzie, in your sig, don't you really mean paragon?

Indoor66
03-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Ozzie, in your sig, don't you really mean paragon?

I sure wish our game would start! :rolleyes::o:cool:

throatybeard
03-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Perhaps he doesn't...

TruBlu
03-20-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm upset that unc made it past the first round.

Newton_14
03-20-2016, 09:11 PM

Haha. As am I. Was hoping Providence could pull it off, but they could not hit shots. So, go Indiana!

My bracket is toast. I had MSU in the final game, and West Virginia in the Elite 8. Sigh.

I did pick Yale over Baylor, and hit several 10>7, and 9>8 games, but outside of that, nothing special. I tried a new strategy this year and after Day 1, I was sitting pretty and patting myself on the back and all, then Friday happened and it was back to being an idiot. :)

OldPhiKap
03-20-2016, 09:19 PM

Post of the week.

throatybeard
03-21-2016, 10:45 AM

Finally. Someone identifies the real problem.