PDA

View Full Version : NIT Bracket -- no LSU

Olympic Fan
03-14-2016, 12:08 AM
The 2016 NIT bracket was released Sunday night and it contains three ACC teams -- but no Clemson:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25516048/nit-bracket-schedule-tip-times-monmouth-and-no-ben-simmons

That's not the biggest surprise, LSU and Ben Simmons will not be participating. Pretty clear sign that the team is in meltdown (as was obvious when you watched them score 13 first half points against Texas A&M).

Surprised Clemson didn't get a bid, but Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and FSU did.

DUKIE V(A)
03-14-2016, 12:11 AM
The 2016 NIT bracket was released Sunday night and it contains three ACC teams -- but no Clemson:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25516048/nit-bracket-schedule-tip-times-monmouth-and-no-ben-simmons

That's not the biggest surprise, LSU and Ben Simmons will not be participating. Pretty clear sign that the team is in meltdown (as was obvious when you watched them score 13 first half points against Texas A&M).

Surprised Clemson didn't get a bid, but Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and FSU did.

LSU declined a bid. Not sure about Clemson; I would suspect the same.

Olympic Fan
03-14-2016, 12:15 AM

Sorry, it's late... I should have made it clear that LSU declined the bid (it's in the story I linked). THAT is the evidence that the team (and program) are in meltdown.

As for Clemson, I'd be very surprised if they declined a bid. Brad Brownell was lobbying for an NIT bid after their ACC Tournament loss to Georgia Tech.

duke09hms
03-14-2016, 01:13 AM
Also, no Stanford and Johnny Dawkins. There's a good chance Dawkins is out of a job this year, and if not now, then it's definitely a succeed-or-else year for 2016-2017.

They've missed both the NIT and NCAAs 4 out of his 8 years. Made the NCAA once in 8 years after Stanford making it 13 out of the 14 preceding him. And only finished above .500 in the Pac12 twice under JD.

That seat is getting AWFULLY hot right now.

BD80
03-14-2016, 05:42 AM

Why in the world would they decline a bid? They need to establish some reputation for post-season play

TKG
03-14-2016, 09:24 AM
http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/15181655-171/scott-rabalais-by-skipping-posteason-lsu-basketball-just-quit-avoids-another-potential-nightmare

At least one unhappy camper in Baton Rouge

Henderson
03-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Why in the world would they decline a bid? They need to establish some reputation for post-season play

I was wondering the same thing. In LSU's case, it would also be a chance to let Ben Simmons operate on a big stage. I can only think LSU is thinking the players can't play together or maybe even can't travel together without something blowing up. But I can't believe LSU let Ben Simmons leave on such a quiet whimper-note. Something definitely ain't right down there. Good luck in the upcoming recruiting season.

sagegrouse
03-14-2016, 10:07 AM
I was wondering the same thing. In LSU's case, it would also be a chance to let Ben Simmons operate on a big stage. I can only think LSU is thinking the players can't play together or maybe even can't travel together without something blowing up. But I can't believe LSU let Ben Simmons leave on such a quiet whimper-note. Something definitely ain't right down there. Good luck in the upcoming recruiting season.

Ben Simmons is the star of a team in total meltdown? And he is supposed to be the #1 overall pick?

Indoor66
03-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Ben Simmons is the star of a team in total meltdown? And he is supposed to be the #1 overall pick?

I kept hearing all the great things about the young man. He may be a wonderful basketball player but he has yet to show it against any strong organized opposition. He doesn't score and seems to shy away from the ball at crunch time. Sounds a lot alike a stat stuffer with little ultimate effect on the outcome.

FerryFor50
03-14-2016, 10:21 AM
I kept hearing all the great things about the young man. He may be a wonderful basketball player but he has yet to show it against any strong organized opposition. He doesn't score and seems to shy away from the ball at crunch time. Sounds a lot alike a stat stuffer with little ultimate effect on the outcome.

To be fair, that LSU team makeup was not a good fit for him to showcase offense. A lot of gunners. Guys who jack up contested 3s over and over. They don't make any concerted effort to run the offense through him. Poorly coached.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 10:25 AM
To be fair, that LSU team makeup was not a good fit for him to showcase offense. A lot of gunners. Guys who jack up contested 3s over and over. They don't make any concerted effort to run the offense through him. Poorly coached.

Really baffling why he chose LSU. I think this bodes poorly for small schools ever snagging top rated talent. Pretty much a worst-case scenario for the kid, excepting injury.

FerryFor50
03-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Really baffling why he chose LSU. I think this bodes poorly for small schools ever snagging top rated talent. Pretty much a worst-case scenario for the kid, excepting injury.

I recall Duke was in the running for Simmons. Can you imagine how much he'd have dominated (and be hated) at Duke? His skill set is *precisely* what Duke was missing this year. Rebounding, interior defense, court vision, interior scoring, passing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I recall Duke was in the running for Simmons. Can you imagine how much he'd have dominated (and be hated) at Duke? His skill set is *precisely* what Duke was missing this year. Rebounding, interior defense, court vision, interior scoring, passing.

My question is - how does this season not reflect poorly on his NBA potential? He seems a nice enough kid, but choosing a small pond isn't really "big fish" attitude. Makes it almost impossible to evaluate his talent. Was he hiding something by going to LSU?

fraggler
03-14-2016, 10:33 AM
My question is - how does this season not reflect poorly on his NBA potential? He seems a nice enough kid, but choosing a small pond isn't really "big fish" attitude. Makes it almost impossible to evaluate his talent. Was he hiding something by going to LSU?

Wasn't LSU supposed to have some other good recruits? Maybe he thought he was signing up for some mini-Fab Five or something.

I also never saw the Lebron comparisons. More Lamar Odom with a better motor and head. Or a rich-man's Josh McRoberts?

NashvilleDevil
03-14-2016, 10:52 AM

His godfather is on the LSU staff. I have nothing against the kid what I got annoyed by is the non-stop coverage of all things Simmons. Jeff Goodman declared him the best prospect since LeBron, obviously he forgot that Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis played college ball after LeBron. Only LSU game I watched this year was the Oklahoma game and that was more to watch Buddy Hield, who did not disappoint. Simmons, for me, was not must watch TV like Durant or Davis were. He will still go #1 because he will have great workouts and teams love his skill set.

FerryFor50
03-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Wasn't LSU supposed to have some other good recruits? Maybe he thought he was signing up for some mini-Fab Five or something.

I also never saw the Lebron comparisons. More Lamar Odom with a better motor and head. Or a rich-man's Josh McRoberts?

Blakeny. But that's it.

This doesn't hurt Simmons' draft stock IMO. He's a surefire #1 or 2.

captmojo
03-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Clemson was robbed.
The article made up for any misgivings after the article, by their continued listing of this gem...http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24767204/roy-williams-speaks-calls-this-a-very-sad-time-for-north-carolina
just for memory's sake.

awhom111
03-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Is this a Ben Simmons thread or an NIT thread?

I think they should given consideration to expanding the NIT to 64 like the WNIT (and giving every conference at least one bid) and trying to fold one of the more minor tournaments. So many teams got automatic bids this year that there were not many at larges. Apparently both Northwestern and Marquette would have accepted if invited, but opted against the CBI and Vegas 16 after being passed over.

The third tier tournaments ended up being debacles this year. The CBI has its weakest field ever. The CIT could only fill 26 of 32 spots. The Vegas 16 is in better shape than Amerileague, but is now the Vegas 8.

But what about Anthony Bennett? Oh wait, never mind...

How "small" does a school have to be to be small?

diablesseblu
03-14-2016, 10:13 PM
Given that Simmons is about to sign with Lebron's sports management agency, I wonder if he and his people made it clear to LSU that he would not play in the NIT?

He can now (officially) leave school, sign up for endorsements and avoid the possibility of injury.

BD80
03-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Given that Simmons is about to sign with Lebron's sports management agency, I wonder if he and his people made it clear to LSU that he would not play in the NIT?

He can now (officially) leave school, sign up for endorsements and avoid the possibility of injury.

Wonder how many classes he's been to recently?

diablesseblu
03-14-2016, 10:32 PM

Apparently not too many. He was declared "ineligible" for the Wooden award based on some not made public "academic issues."

norduck
03-14-2016, 10:43 PM

wheat can probably answer that question.

devildeac
03-14-2016, 10:49 PM
wheat can probably answer that question.

With intensity...

;)

JetpackJesus
03-14-2016, 10:59 PM

Given that you just described a perfect fit for the 76ers,* I'd say he could be #1 overall.

*Assumes Philly still owns its pick this year. I don't know and don't really feel like researching anything about the 76ers not involving Jah.

DUKIE V(A)
03-15-2016, 06:30 AM

I agree and would have thought they would be an obvious invite to the NIT. Perhaps not.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2016, 08:07 AM

Perhaps the post-season reputation they would have established wouldn't be all that positive. :-/

FerryFor50
03-15-2016, 11:32 AM
Given that you just described a perfect fit for the 76ers,* I'd say he could be #1 overall.

*Assumes Philly still owns its pick this year. I don't know and don't really feel like researching anything about the 76ers not involving Jah.

Philly has several 1st rounders. They also need to win the draft lottery to get the overall #1. They've certainly done their part to position themselves there.

Here's the latest mock draft from NBADraft.net:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

jimsumner
03-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Apparently not too many. He was declared "ineligible" for the Wooden award based on some not made public "academic issues."

I believe one has to have a 2.0 to be eligible for the Wooden Award. Simmons apparently did not meet that threshold.

Reilly
03-15-2016, 09:59 PM
[deleted]