PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Ulis

Channing
03-13-2016, 09:17 PM
It's a pity he will have to be raked over the coals by ESPN and the national media ... Because certainly there won't be a double standard for a white duke player

http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/982259

Edouble
03-13-2016, 10:07 PM
My thoughts are with Jalen Jones's family at this time.

It's clear that Ulis learned this kind of behavior from watching Duke games.

BandAlum83
03-13-2016, 10:22 PM
It's a pity he will have to be raked over the coals by ESPN and the national media ... Because certainly there won't be a double standard for a white duke player

First line in the story:

Tyler Ulis may have taken a page out of the Grayson Allen book on mistreating opponents.

Disgusting

weezie
03-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Well, poor Tyler. I don't think it is "fair" to be picking on such a little guy this way, nope, not fair at all. And espn is such a pillar of evenhanded sports coverage.

Ok, so, the referees are infallible and they saw nothing so nothing happened, ok? Copacetic.

DUKIE V(A)
03-14-2016, 12:08 AM

Just got named Star of the Night by the Bilastrator on SportsCenter.

Bluedog
03-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Grayson got the distinct pleasure of being the ONLY player in the entire tournament called out for something other than his basketball abilities by the CBS heads during the selection show. I hope he has some tough skin... He certainly gets a ridiculous amount of attention that other players/teams would not get for the same sorts of actions.

Channing
03-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Just got named Star of the Night by the Bilastrator on SportsCenter.

Did he really? If so, I suggest we all tweet at Jay (he is very active on Twitter) and ask why that wasn't more of an issue for him.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 10:34 AM
I would be elated if there were just a handful of threads that didn't turn into discussions of the UNC debacle or the unfair coverage of Grayson Allen.

There are some fun, exciting storylines this year. Some of them even involve our team!

Ullis is a helluva player. Are we suggesting that he is dirty? Or that ESPN ought to throw the book at him?

I plan to enjoy this year's tournament without getting bogged down in crap like this.

Channing
03-14-2016, 10:40 AM
to be fair, this one didn't turn into a thread about unfair treatment of Grayson ... it started as one. The point has nothing to do with Ulis, per se, but rather the national media's over the top focus on Grayson while largely ignoring other star players engaging in similar, if not worse, conduct.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 10:44 AM
to be fair, this one didn't turn into a thread about unfair treatment of Grayson ... it started as one. The point has nothing to do with Ulis, per se, but rather the national media's over the top focus on Grayson while largely ignoring other star players engaging in similar, if not worse, conduct.

Fair point. I am just sick to death of hearing about it when there's so many more compelling things to discuss in college basketball this year.

Carry on. I will see myself out.

Steven43
03-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Fair point. I am just sick to death of hearing about it when there's so many more compelling things to discuss in college basketball this year.

You don't seem to get it. I would think a Duke fan would 100% understand why posters on DBR are shocked, very angry, and downright APPALLED at the horrifically unfair and over-the-top treatment of our very own Grayson Allen--a true blue Duke warrior and STUDENT-athlete in every sense of the word.

I have honestly never seen anything like this. The amount of negative coverage and mentions he has gotten from a wide variety of commentators and publications for two relatively minor on-court infractions that come nowhere close to being as flagrant as the vicious elbows that are thrown in virtually every single NCAA basketball game not as dangerous as the hard fouls that are routinely committed against vulnerable players that are in the air going for a breakaway dunk or layup.

Something very strange and almost sinister is going on here that is so far outside the norm that it has become nothing less than an absolute phenomenon that merits serious contemplation. I don't think I have ever been this taken aback and in opposition to the general public's reaction to something that occurred during a sporting event.

FerryFor50
03-14-2016, 03:00 PM

ESPN isn't the problem, right? :p

theschwartz
03-14-2016, 03:21 PM
You don't seem to get it. I would think a Duke fan would 100% understand why posters on DBR are shocked, very angry, and downright APPALLED at the horrifically unfair and over-the-top treatment of our very own Grayson Allen--a true blue Duke warrior and STUDENT-athlete in every sense of the word.

I have honestly never seen anything like this. The amount of negative coverage and mentions he has gotten from a wide variety of commentators and publications for two relatively minor on-court infractions that come nowhere close to being as flagrant as the vicious elbows that are thrown in virtually every single NCAA basketball game not as dangerous as the hard fouls that are routinely committed against vulnerable players that are in the air going for a breakaway dunk or layup.

Something very strange and almost sinister is going on here that is so far outside the norm that it has become nothing less than an absolute phenomenon that merits serious contemplation. I don't think I have ever been this taken aback and in opposition to the general public's reaction to something that occurred during a sporting event.

Every hero needs a villain. ESPN and CBS are all about creating compelling storylines for the tournament. They've got their Lex Luthor/Moriarty/Dr. Evil that viewers will tune in to actively root against. So they have to taint someone's name and destroy their reputation to make that happen? Small price to pay for an extra ratings point or a few more clicks!

Now to cast the hero...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 03:24 PM
ESPN isn't the problem, right? :p

Well, ESPN isn't sending people over here to post and take over our entire board so that instead of celebrating Grayson Allen, Brandon Ingram, and MP3's potential final games, we are whining about press coverage that ISN'T dictated by Rick Pitino.

Look, I'm just sick of all the negativity and discussion over non-basketball related issues. We have a thread for discussion of the commentary. We have a thread for UNC scandals. Let's try not to let every pre-game and post-game discussion or bracket breakdown or news blurb turn into another opportunity to kvetch about what ESPN says.

I guess I just care a whole lot less about what the talking heads say than most other people on here. Sure, I wish everyone said nothing but loving praise about our favorite team, but that's not happened in the last 30+ years that we've experienced amazing success. Thankfully, the commentators don't affect the game! If, pregame, the commentators were stating their case for one team or the other, and then there was an internet vote, and whichever team won the internet vote would be spotted five points and two extra timeouts, then maybe I care?

Games are won and lost on the court, not in the booth.

Again, I know I'm in the minority here - apparently everyone else is perfectly happy to waste the last weeks of these young men's careers parsing each slight towards Grayson Allen. I just find it rather disgusting. And I don't think it makes me less of a Duke fan.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Well, this Duke fan thinks differently, and doesn't "100% understand."

Come on people - we are just feeding into the system by being outraged at throwaway comments by Doris Burke that preface prepared clips.

weezie
03-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Every hero needs a villain...

Now to cast the hero...

Ok, Boris Durke for villain, Grayson for hero.

Works for me!

subzero02
03-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Every hero needs a villain. ESPN and CBS are all about creating compelling storylines for the tournament. They've got their Lex Luthor/Moriarty/Dr. Evil that viewers will tune in to actively root against. So they have to taint someone's name and destroy their reputation to make that happen? Small price to pay for an extra ratings point or a few more clicks!

Now to cast the hero...

The hero should be someone who can captivize the audience. A man who hails from a scholarly institution recently mentioned the name Hield.

opossum
03-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Well, ESPN isn't sending people over here to post and take over our entire board so that instead of celebrating Grayson Allen, Brandon Ingram, and MP3's potential final games, we are whining about press coverage that ISN'T dictated by Rick Pitino.

Look, I'm just sick of all the negativity and discussion over non-basketball related issues. We have a thread for discussion of the commentary. We have a thread for UNC scandals. Let's try not to let every pre-game and post-game discussion or bracket breakdown or news blurb turn into another opportunity to kvetch about what ESPN says.

I guess I just care a whole lot less about what the talking heads say than most other people on here. Sure, I wish everyone said nothing but loving praise about our favorite team, but that's not happened in the last 30+ years that we've experienced amazing success. Thankfully, the commentators don't affect the game! If, pregame, the commentators were stating their case for one team or the other, and then there was an internet vote, and whichever team won the internet vote would be spotted five points and two extra timeouts, then maybe I care?

Games are won and lost on the court, not in the booth.

Again, I know I'm in the minority here - apparently everyone else is perfectly happy to waste the last weeks of these young men's careers parsing each slight towards Grayson Allen. I just find it rather disgusting. And I don't think it makes me less of a Duke fan.

I agree. The trick I've learned over the years is to not watch it. Whether it's sports or politics, when I started seeing "talking heads" who are my age or younger, and often enough people I had known or worked with in the past (on the politics side), I just stopped watching. Life is too short. Make a sandwich. Spend time with your spouse or kids or pets if you have them. Watch a movie if there aren't any good games on. Or just go for a walk around the neighborhood. The talking head's job is to make you upset.